Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » One thing about tonight’s for sure – my chapter on by-elect

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,282
    Bloody hell

Shock of the year

Lib Dems hold a deposit !!!!!!!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    LDs held deposit in Heywood
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    We all f-ing remember Fitalass but I'm not exactly going to tweet you am I???
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306
    Pulpstar said:

Bloody hell

Shock of the year

Lib Dems hold a deposit !!!!!!!

Smelling salts on standby.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    UKIP candidate being top of the ballot paper helped no doubt in H&M.
  • Options
    Labour majority 617 by my reckoning.
  • Options
    Lab 11,633
    UKIP 11,016
    Con 3,496
    Green 870
    LD 1457
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    lol @ the Lib dems cheering
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    UKIP lost for 617 votes if I heard correctly.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    Result UKIP 11,016, Con 3,496, Green 870, Labour 11,633, LD 1,457
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,887
    Very strong tactical voting going on there then.
  • Options
    'People gave their backing to the Milipede...' .... yeah right. Risible in the extreme.
  • Options
    Greetings from the New York.

It strikes me that the party most damaged by the Heywood opinion polls was probably Labour. The turnout looks to be well below GE levels - which are low enough- and it is unlikely that it was UKIP voters staying at home.

Labour's problem in the North is not UKIP, it is the total lack of interest its voters have in actively supporting the party.
  • Options

Lab 11,633
    UKIP 11,016
    Con 3,496
    Green 870
    LD 1457

UKIP might have a chance in 2015 there if the Tories vote tactically for them.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,416
    Lab up less than 1% on GE.
  • Options
    Lab 41%
    UKIP 39%
    Con 12%
    LD 5%
    Grn 3%
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Labour winning candidate in Heywood

"Tonight voters gave their backing to Ed Miliband ..."

Then some rant on the NHS..
  • Options
    Labour candidate makes a fool of herself on TV.

• Options
    Con got 3,496 - just 600 odd of those for Ukip would have seen them win - lol.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    A dreadful result for Ed Miliband. 617 vote majority.
  • Options
    Ms Swann (trusted source) was hinting that she was pilgrim?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Labour winning candidate in Heywood

"Tonight voters gave their backing to Ed Miliband ..."

Then some rant on the NHS..

Indeed was amusing.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Central claim of Dave conference speech well and truly bombed tonight!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Lab 11,633
    UKIP 11,016
    Con 3,496
    Green 870
    LD 1457

Absolutely it will be interesting to see if Tories will bite the bullet and vote tactically although clearly thousands of them already have switched to UKIP given the UKIP vote is only 1,500 or so votes shy of what the Tories got in 2010
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Lab 11,633
    UKIP 11,016
    Con 3,496
    Green 870
    LD 1457

More Labour voters will turn out in a GE. This was UKIP's chance.

But a terrible result for Labour. No-one is remotely enthused about voting for the party. They do it out of loyalty, habit and because they like other parties even less.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Lab 11,633
    UKIP 11,016
    Con 3,496
    Green 870
    LD 1457

As I said below, Tories tend to be less inclined than other voters to vote tactically.

Whether they should do or not is another matter.

• Options
    Looks like some anti Labour tactical switching by Conservatives to me.
  • Options
    Difficult to see UKIP not winning Rochester after this performance in Heywood.
  • Options
    "2 Tories on the ballot paper but the voters chose neither" says winning Lab pilgrim

Maths not her strong point.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

It strikes me that the party most damaged by the Heywood opinion polls was probably Labour. The turnout looks to be well below GE levels - which are low enough- and it is unlikely that it was UKIP voters staying at home.

Labour's problem in the North is not UKIP, it is the total lack of interest its voters have in actively supporting the party.

That is absolutely right. But, with respect, don't you say Labour should be even MORE in the so-called "centre ground"? That would be the type of thing that would push these voters away further. If Labour want poor people to vote for them, they simply have to promise them things that will help them. They're not doing that at the moment.
  • Options
    Change from 2010

Lab +1
    UKIP +36
    Con -15
    LD -17
    Grn +3
  • Options

Has it ever crossed your mind that perhaps they don't actually want to vote for them any more?
  • Options
    UKIP might be up to something about child sex scandals in safe Labour seats, Rotherham and Heywood will be seats to look at in 2015.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,289
    I am a Highland lassie at heart. I only officially became an Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire quine after moving to Aberdeen 30 years ago, and only after eventually marrying an Aberdonian after spending sometime in Edinburgh and Inverness. :)
    JBriskin said:

Like 90% of Aberdonians Fitalass - a fairly safe bet.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

They haven't quite got the hang of FPTP have they. ;-)
  • Options

Change from 2010

Lab +1
    UKIP +36
    Con -15
    LD -17
    Grn +3

Now now, I'll assume you're not trolling - but this is not valid for here.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

That is absolutely right. But, with respect, don't you say Labour should be even MORE in the so-called "centre ground"? That would be the type of thing that would push these voters away further. If Labour want poor people to vote for them, they simply have to promise them things that will help them. They're not doing that at the moment.

It's not a matter of being more left or right, it is a matter of coherence and credibility. EdM is a dreadful leader and has failed utterly to give voters a clear understanding of what a Labour government would want to do, let alone how it would do it. He inspires zero confidence.

• Options
    JBriskin said:

Change from 2010

Lab +1
    UKIP +36
    Con -15
    LD -17
    Grn +3

MP called it right though - I apologise for shouting at Tv
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,411
    Traditionally safe seats tend to come down in by-elections to pro- and anti-incumbent. I thought it was going to be close when I heard the turnout was just 38% - the quesiton was how much of the anti-Labour vote would swing behind UKIP. Given the UKIP surge I think that Labour did OK getting an increased vote share, but we'll be relieved that the Tory and LibDem votes didn't flock to UKIP in even greater numbers. I suspect we'll see something similar in reverse in Clacton, though clearly with an outright UKIP win.
  • Options

Has it ever crossed your mind that perhaps they don't actually want to vote for them any more?

I think that is exactly what has happened. But I also think that in a GE more Labour voters will turn out.

• Options
    Ho hum - Do I vote UKIP in Derbyshire NE now...
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited October 2014
    JBriskin said:

Change from 2010

Lab +1
    UKIP +36
    Con -15
    LD -17
    Grn +3

Excuse me? What are you saying?
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Perhaps with a 36% turnout, this is UKIP at their max in Heywood. At the general election Labour should win a comfortable majority in the seat and some UKIP votes will go back to the Tories. Labour will be very relieved to have won and should learn the lesson not to take voters for granted in the north.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

I am a Highland lassie at heart. I only officially became an Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire quine after moving to Aberdeen 30 years ago, and only after eventually marrying an Aberdonian after spending sometime in Edinburgh and Inverness. :)

JBriskin said:

Like 90% of Aberdonians Fitalass - a fairly safe bet.

That must be why we get on so much :)

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Neil tearing lumps out of Dugher right now.
  • Options

I think that is exactly what has happened. But I also think that in a GE more Labour voters will turn out.

Lazy as sin aren't they ?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Ho hum - Do I vote UKIP in Derbyshire NE now...

If Labour got around 40% in 2010 then UKIP has a real chance.
  • Options

JBriskin said:

Change from 2010

Lab +1
    UKIP +36
    Con -15
    LD -17
    Grn +3

Thrasher kind of agreeing with me.

Withdrawn

• Options
    Danny565 said:

They have lost the WWC vote and they will never get it back.

What are they going to say come GE time? You can't have a referendum on the EU as you are too stupid so immigration will stay the same, you cannot have EV4EL either?

That will work well.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Lazy as sin aren't they ?

Totally unenthused, I'd say. And understandably so.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Con-Lab swing 7.9% in Heywood & Middleton...
  • Options
    I miss those AGW debates on yesteryear on here - all of them have now frozen away: http://iceagenow.info/2014/10/new-all-time-record-north-america-sept-snow-cover-highest-45-years-data/
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

Perhaps with a 36% turnout, this is UKIP at their max in Heywood. At the general election Labour should win a comfortable majority in the seat and some UKIP votes will go back to the Tories. Labour will be very relieved to have won and should learn the lesson not to take voters for granted in the north.

Why would votes go back to the Tories? They have no chance of winning Heywood. If Heywood voters want to stop Ed Miliband there is only one choice and that is to vote UKIP.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    "The Labour Party is a moral crusade or it is nothing."

at the moment, nothing
  • Options
    Sorry - might have been Woolfe

I only got my Sky news
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

JBriskin said:

Change from 2010

Lab +1
    UKIP +36
    Con -15
    LD -17
    Grn +3

Withdrawn

Well John Curtice made exactly the same comparisons as I did. And anyway who made you the arbiter of this site?
  • Options
    NIN22NIN22 Posts: 7
    edited October 2014
    After listening to her winner's speech and her replies in this interview with Andrew Neil on BBC... well, I'm not in the least bit surprised people weren't enthused about voting for her and that she's been run close today.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Danny565 said:

It's not a matter of being more left or right, it is a matter of coherence and credibility. EdM is a dreadful leader and has failed utterly to give voters a clear understanding of what a Labour government would want to do, let alone how it would do it. He inspires zero confidence.

I certainly agree with the last part - and that's why I think Ed should go, because even if he starts doing the right policies now, I think it's too late for him to shake the bad opinions people already have of him.

What I'm getting at is that what Westminster assumes about people thinking Labour are "too left-wing" couldn't be further from the truth. In my patch (near-ish to Manchester), Labour people are constantly saying they just don't think Labour are interested in helping "people like them" anymore. As far as they see it, the only people promising them any hope are UKIP who are essentially saying that taking stuff away from immigrants will mean there's more that can go to people like them. The only way Labour are going to counter that is by actually offering these people some hope themselves about how things can be better, but they're just not able to do that while they're pointlessly trying to keep up with the Tories in the austerity/"credibility" stakes.
  • Options
    Not much sign of LD->Lab switching in Heywood.
  • Options
    In truth this is a shocking night for both the Labour and Conservative party.
  • Options

JBriskin said:

JBriskin said:

Change from 2010

Lab +1
    UKIP +36
    Con -15
    LD -17
    Grn +3

Withdrawn

Well John Curtice made exactly the same comparisons as I did. And anyway who made you the arbiter of this site?
    It is not my fault if my words carry weight.

• Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    was that the worst winning speech ever?
  • Options
    617 votes? Close, ever so close!
    (I was way out in my prediction for Election Game - 3,204!)
  • Options

Labour almost lost a safe seat to a party that got 3% in the last election.
    Now Heywood has become a very tight marginal with a 617 majority, and there are still 12% Tories to be squeezed by UKIP, while only 5% LD and 3% GRN for Labour.
  • Options
    NHS pilgrim now an MP and boy is she deeply unimpressive.

I would not be surprised at all if UKIP take this in May
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,887
    NIN22 said:

After listening to her winner's speech and her replies in this interview with Andrew Neil on BBC... well, I'm not in the least bit surprised people weren't enthused about voting for her and that's she's been run close today.

Thought the same.
  • Options
    Undeniably a very bad result for Labour in Heywood. Not catastrophic - losing would have merited that description.
  • Options
    Priti Patel has been bloody awful in her interviews tonight. If she's supposed to be the future of the Tory right god help them!
  • Options

I predicted Labour by 5,890.

What happened regarding the two polls showing Labour 19% ahead?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Vote Tory, get Ed?

:)
  • Options

Never underestimate UKIP again Sunil!

What do you think of the new design of the Tube?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Lab 41%
    UKIP 39%
    Con 12%
    LD 5%
    Grn 3%

if the Heywood polls were right, there must have been a lot of Lab>UKIP switching in the past week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heywood_and_Middleton_by-election,_2014#Polling
  • Options
    Well it's been a terrible night for the Tories / Labour / Libdems (delete as appropriate)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

In truth this is a shocking night for both the Labour and Conservative party.

Quite right, a shocking night for Team Westminster establishment.
  • Options
    The thing is I can't see anyone wanting to go to sleep with David Cameron in order to wake up with Ed Miliband!
  • Options

Well it's been a terrible night for the Tories / Labour / Libdems (delete as appropriate)

Lib Dems held their deposit, brilliant result for them !
  • Options

Priti Patel has been bloody awful in her interviews tonight. If she's supposed to be the future of the Tory right god help them!

Only going to get more difficult for the Azn's from here on in.

At the very least everyone knows Faisal knows his stuff.

• Options
    Poor Priti is making a fool of herself!
  • Options
    I thought Priti Patel was one of the more enlightened Tory MP's before tonight. She's really gone down in my estimation.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,289
    edited October 2014
    You hit the nail on the head with that post Southern Observer I just cannot see how the current Labour Party is going to be able to motivate their Scottish voters to turn out in the same numbers as they did back 2010. And that is going to be a real problem for them at the 2015 GE, if you cannot motivate your heartlands, how are you going to get out the vote where it matters in the marginals?

• Options
    JBriskin said:

What on earth are you going on about?
  • Options
    marke09 said:

"This victory is a vote of confidence on Ed Milliband"
    Yeap, it was the worst.
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

Was surprised that Faisal left Channel 4. Very much got his finger on the pulse.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

JBriskin said:

Was surprised that Faisal left Channel 4. Very much got his finger on the pulse.
    Err, Political Editor of Sky news???

• Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

TGOHF said:

Vote Tory, get Ed?

:)
    I like it!
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

hunchman said:

JBriskin said:

Yep, he was Economics editor of Channel 4 News, and did a very good job whilst he was there. Who has taken over from him there - Paul Mason?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    hunchman said:

I thought Priti Patel was one of the more enlightened Tory MP's before tonight. She's really gone down in my estimation.

She's following the party line blindly and without thought; thats what happens with party hacks.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

JBriskin said:

What on earth are you going on about?
    To be very very blunt - sub-continent tories, like TSE, I think will find political life more difficult.

• Options
    Chris Bryant on SKY News more interested in the collapse of Tory votes rather than Labour doing badly
  • Options
    Priti Patel silenced for a minute on Neil suggesting that people might vote UKIP because they want to vote UKIP.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,200

Change from 2010

Lab +1
    UKIP +36
    Con -15
    LD -17
    Grn +3

8% swing Con->Lab, spookily consistent with the rest of the parliament. Amazing how it doesn't seem to matter what parties are running...
  • Options
    9am this morning October 1974 General Election results programme - BBC Parliament
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,079
    edited October 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Vote Tory, get Labour in Heywood !

Somebody (nearly) beat me to it :)
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Speedy said:

marke09 said:

Yeap, it was the worst.
    the vote of confidence given by a football club chairman in the relegation zone
  • Options
    hunchman said:

JBriskin said:

hunchman said:

JBriskin said:

Yep, he was Economics editor of Channel 4 News, and did a very good job whilst he was there. Who has taken over from him there - Paul Mason?
    I do not know.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Lab 41%
    UKIP 39%
    Con 12%
    LD 5%
    Grn 3%

if the Heywood polls were right, there must have been a lot of Lab>UKIP switching in the past week.

I doubt it . The Lord Ashcroft poll for example had 47% of the voters in H and M as 100% certain to vote . The actual turnout was just over 10% lower . Rather than any last minute Lab to UKIP switching it is more likely that UKIP supporters turned out to vote and Labour voters stayed at home .
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited October 2014
    Speedy said:

marke09 said:

Yeap, it was the worst.
    These things are pretty formulaic. You could hardly say "I know Ed really sucks all the time - his middle name is Dyson - but he has a heart of gold, and is a keen animal lover, which is legal in several middle eastern countries and the Sudan."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4748292.stm
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Vote Tory, get Labour in Heywood !

Somebody (nearly) beat me to it :)
    We've been saying that for the last couple of hours!
  • Options
    marke09 said:

9am this morning October 1974 General Election results programme - BBC Parliament

I never tire of watching those 2 1974 election repeats. February '74 was one of the best ever. Hopefully 2015 will trump it for drama though!
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Lab 41%
    UKIP 39%
    Con 12%
    LD 5%
    Grn 3%

I doubt it . The Lord Ashcroft poll for example had 47% of the voters in H and M as 100% certain to vote . The actual turnout was just over 10% lower . Rather than any last minute Lab to UKIP switching it is more likely that UKIP supporters turned out to vote and Labour voters stayed at home .
    The LD, Green, and Con numbers are all close to the result. It's only Lab and UKIP that break ranks.
This discussion has been closed.