Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » One thing about tonight’s for sure – my chapter on by-elect

Comments

• Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    fitalass said:

What on earth possessed you to bet on the Clacton turn out being higher than the GE when its nothing more than a UKIP stunt?! Normally its very rare to see turn out for a by-election get within touching distance of GE turnout? And as it happens, we have a GE coming up in just a few months, I suspect that the voters of Clacton will turn out in far greater numbers to make their views known at that election.

AndyJS said:

Looks like I've lost my bet on turnout in Clacton being higher than the general election if the 50% reports are correct.

@JohnO, well said.
    JohnO said:

Richard - you are saying neither complacency nor panic have ever been evident among PB Tory supporters.

And you are accusing me of making things up???

The relatively few openly declared Tory supporters through thick and thin have indeed been consistently unfazed one way or another, so yes, you are making things up.
    You would have been the first to criticise Carswell if he had defected without getting a mandate from the voters!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Good night for Labour - they've gained 2 seats.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,284
    TimB Agree, though BBC reporting air strikes have stalled ISIS and they been pushed back to the edge of the town
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-29555999
  • Options
    Diane James: UKIP confident of a good 2nd in Heywood and Middleton
  • Options
    IOS said:

45% is solid for Labour.

UKIP vote just the anti Labour vote finding one home.

Bear in mind there was previously 22% of the vote for the LDs. Suggests Labour are gaining some votes from LDs but losing others to UKIP as happened in South Shields
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    By the way, did everybody know that the Ebola serum ZMAPP grows in tobacco plant leaves?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZMapp
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    IOS said:

Speedy

UKIP targetting Labour seats is kinda good for Labour. Makes lazy Labour seats work harder and destroys our opponents even more. If you are anti Labour in the north its now UKIP or nothing.

UKIP shouldn't target seats in which Labour got more than lets say 38% in 2010 with some small exceptions.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Labour majority under 1000 in Heywood... Sky

Vote Tory Get Labour?
  • Options
    Labour into 1.01 now on Heywood and Middleton. UKIP out to 48/1.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @JBriskin
    Turkey is a NATO country?
    It would not be unusual for some of the allies to visit the border, and some may have crossed into Kobane to shop for souvenirs?
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Fire up the printing press

Why UKIP splitting the right wing and Labour retaining their seat despite UKIP pushing hard is bad news for Ed Miliband

by Dan Hodges
  • Options
    TGOHF Coming 3rd in Clacton, when they held much of the seat until 2005, and getting the same victory margin as Foot's Labour Party in Heywood, yes a triumph!
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Vote Tory Get Labour?
    That cannot be right
  • Options
    BBC 51% turn out in Clacton
  • Options
    IOS said:

Speedy

UKIP targetting Labour seats is kinda good for Labour. Makes lazy Labour seats work harder and destroys our opponents even more. If you are anti Labour in the north its now UKIP or nothing.

Course it is.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    [Turkey is a NATO country?]

Yes it is. I can admit to not always remembering it. I doubt that I'll be able to forget that it's a secular muslim country formerly of the eastern roman empire though.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    RodCrosby said:

That would be well under 5%.

(Total votes cast must be over 20,000).
  • Options
    HYUFD

I am sorry to have to explain this to you but seats count national vote share doesn't. As long as we win enough seats I am happy to see us lose on vote share nationally.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Vote Tory Get Labour?
    If its a thousands votes then yes the Tories split the vote in Heywood allowing Labour to keep the seat, just like they did in Eastleigh with the LD.
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited October 2014

RodCrosby said:

Vote Tory Get Labour?
    That cannot be right
    Hey if the Tory vote in Heywood is higher than Labour's margin of victory over UKIP then thats exactly what it is

Vote Tory get Labour!

Whats sauce for the goose and all that!
  • Options
    UKIP got higher voteshare than Eastleigh and S Shields in Heywood, John Curtice
  • Options
    Could there still be a shock in Heywood - if people are predicting it is that close and counting is still underway then surely there must still be an outside chance that UKIP has won.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Recount!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    hunchman said:

Michael Dugher trotting out some pretty desperate arguments! And 45% in Heywood and Middleton is poor for Labour when you compare it to their stunning by-election victories before 1997.

Yep, I'll agree that things are not as good for Labour as 1997! That's rather a high bar. But I think the UKIP surge in the Labour north flatters to deceive - they will mop up lots of second places and when turnout is poor the Labour majorities will drop, as I'm sure it will tonight, but I'll be surprised if UKIP gains a single northern seat next year.
  • Options
    @MikeL
    Might have been a recount for deposits?
  • Options
    Recount! (Sky)
  • Options
    fitalass said:

What on earth possessed you to bet on the Clacton turn out being higher than the GE when its nothing more than a UKIP stunt?! Normally its very rare to see turn out for a by-election get within touching distance of GE turnout? And as it happens, we have a GE coming up in just a few months, I suspect that the voters of Clacton will turn out in far greater numbers to make their views known at that election.

AndyJS said:

Looks like I've lost my bet on turnout in Clacton being higher than the general election if the 50% reports are correct.

@JohnO, well said.
    JohnO said:

Richard - you are saying neither complacency nor panic have ever been evident among PB Tory supporters.

The relatively few openly declared Tory supporters through thick and thin have indeed been consistently unfazed one way or another, so yes, you are making things up.
    Hell hath no fury like a tory (not torry) quine scorned.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    LOL - brilliant. Glad I stayed up for this one.
    RodCrosby said:

Recount!

• Options
    SkyNewsElections ‏@skyelections 1m1 minute ago
    UKIP have asked for a recount in Heywood and Middleton #skybyelection

Labour PANIC.
  • Options
    Plato

Are you so desperate for some consolation! Labour have won! The Tories have lost the seat to UKIP!
  • Options
    IOS said:

HYUFD

I am sorry to have to explain this to you but seats count national vote share doesn't. As long as we win enough seats I am happy to see us lose on vote share nationally.

But could still be a problem re what the LDs do.

A very interesting point was made by Miranda Green (LD adviser) on Daily Politics.

If the order of parties by total vote share at the GE is:

1. Con
    2. Lab
    3. UKIP
    4. LD

Then a coalition between 2 and 4 would be completely untenable. LD would have to go with Con in those circumstances.

Of course the vote share order may not be as stated - but if it is .....
  • Options
    RECOUNT in Heywood.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Could there still be a shock in Heywood - if people are predicting it is that close and counting is still underway then surely there must still be an outside chance that UKIP has won.

That would be impossible, IOS says UKIP cannot win a seat from Labour
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    edited October 2014
    Now, I did say Labour were in trouble in Heywood and Middleton and to ignore the polls quite a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    Lab 1.06 (BF)
  • Options
    Recount at Heywood around 620 votes in it
  • Options

fitalass said:

AndyJS said:

@JohnO, well said.
    JohnO said:

Nae happy with this - some people call it little Poland y'know.

• Options

hunchman said:

Michael Dugher trotting out some pretty desperate arguments! And 45% in Heywood and Middleton is poor for Labour when you compare it to their stunning by-election victories before 1997.

Yep, I'll agree that things are not as good for Labour as 1997! That's rather a high bar. But I think the UKIP surge in the Labour north flatters to deceive - they will mop up lots of second places and when turnout is poor the Labour majorities will drop, as I'm sure it will tonight, but I'll be surprised if UKIP gains a single northern seat next year.
    I agree Nick - Rotherham and Grimsby will be interesting, but I'm not expecting any UKIP gains up there at the current time.

620 votes in it in Heywood and Middleton according to Paul Nuttall! That would be an incredible UKIP result if so.

Official Recount? YES!!!!
  • Options
    BBC Nutall says just 620 votes difference.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited October 2014
    AndyJS said:

The weather was pretty bad in Heywood today. It looks like that's depressed turnout a bit, which has probably hit Labour's vote more than the other parties.

Election Data (Ian Watson) said that UKIP's strongest wards in the 2014 local elections are low turnout wards.

http://election-data.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/heywood-middleton-ii.html
  • Options
    Recount in Heywood
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    If the margin is really 600 votes, why is there a recount? Can the tellers really not get a margin that large right first time?
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited October 2014
    Alison Lundergan Grimes (D KY) asked 4 times on TV if she voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012 and refuses to answer each time.....what do think the chance is that McConnell will have that on the air tomorrow?

Oh dear.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/09/alison-grimes-obama_n_5961528.html

Meantime Obama is in California raising boatloads of money for candidates who allegedly want nothing to do with him, presumably including Grimes.
  • Options
    Labour margin less than 620
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    UKIP only 620 votes behind Labour - Paul Nuttall.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited October 2014
    UKIP = SNP If UKIP win tonight, the result will be reversed at the next GE. Carsewell as an end of Parliament rebel might win, but I doubt that the voters of Clacton will then go onto vote UKIP at the next GE to deliver a Labour Government for five years.

Socrates said:

Hugh said:

The Tories haven't told us how it would be funded.

They will lay out detailed plans, in the Autumn Statement.

Of course no-one expects Labour to say anything about anything. Labour supporters have a very, very nasty shock in store if, God forbid, Farage does succeed in his aim of putting Ed into No 10. Those panic spending cuts will be vicious, and the sense of betrayal will be massive.
    It is hilarious seeing Tories convince themselves of an ever more extreme position in their group think. It started off with UKIP surge potentially help Labour a bit. Then it became UKIP dangerously not caring about the side effect of strongly helping Labour. Then it was them being reckless in continuing as a party because their existence definitely would be solely responsible for a Labour win. Now Farage has a deliberate purposeful aim of putting Ed Miliband in Number 10 and actively oppose an EU referendum!!

It's amazing what people can convince themselves of when they don't want to examine other factors at play.
    Well, put it this way: it's not Ed who might put Ed into No 10, is it?

As for the referendum, that is undeniable. Anyone who doesn't vote Tory is voting in a way which makes a referendum in the next parliament less likely. That is simple fact.
    No it won't be Ed. It will be Cameron. He is entirely responsible for the mess he has led his party into and if Labour win in May the only person to blame for that will be Cameron.
    Me too, waves Tartan Tory pom poms!
    RobD said:

JohnO said:

I'm a PB Tory.. out and proud. ;)
    @JohnO, that is my prediction too, Cameron will be PM after May 2015. And if Labour choose to pick Andy Burnham, yes please, as that will see George Osborne win 2020.
    JohnO said:

IOS said:

JohnO

SNIP

Cameron will be PM after May 2015.

So is Burnham the next Leader of the Opposition?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

I agree they won't, but the worry should be that, in Tory/Labour marginals in the north, UKIP will take votes off Labour and allow the Tories to hold on with a reduced share of the vote. That's how UKIP is a threat to them.

Also, the mediocre result in Heywood & Middleton is worrying for Labour for another reason. Northern England was supposed to be one of their saving graces next year. We know their problems in Scotland, all accounts are showing they're in trouble in Wales, and obviously they're in sharp decline in the South. If this result is now even showing how fragile they are in the North, it's hard to see where else there is where they'll punch above their weight next year, apart from London. But the Labour leadership still seem in total denial and complacency about the problems they have with their so-called "core vote".
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    RobD said:

If the margin is really 600 votes, why is there a recount? Can the tellers really not get a margin that large right first time?

It will not be a full recount but a bundle check .
  • Options
    Stunning result for UKIP if they've closed the gap to 620 votes.
  • Options
  • Options
    Simon Danzcuk will get plastered by Labour if its that close.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Incase a pile of 621 votes has gone astray ? :D

Massive boo boo by Ukip - utter failure to convince enough Con voters to turn out and change their vote to purple. Are Ukip to toxic to convert tactical voters ?

• Options
    Love it how Andrew Neill has suddenly perked up on that news!
  • Options
    Dugher going into reverse ferret mode
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Speedy said:

Simon Danzcuk will get plastered by Labour if its that close.

Good.
  • Options
    MikeL IOS Yes, a Tory/LD coalition could continue if Tories win popular vote but Labour most seats
  • Options
    BREAKING NEWS: BEEB

UKIP leader Nigel Farage concedes defeat to Labour in Heywood and Middleton by-election ahead of the official result being announced
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    TGOHF said:

RobD said:

Massive boo boo by Ukip - utter failure to convince enough Con voters to turn out and change their vote to purple. Are Ukip to toxic to convert tactical voters ?

I hear they failed on the lead>gold project too. Terrible night for UKIP!
  • Options
    Hello world,

We now have a Dundee representative.

Full disclosure - I have lived near enough the bohemian area.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

UKIP = SNP

Socrates said:

Hugh said:

They
    It

As for the referendum, that is undeniable. Anyone who doesn't vote Tory is voting in a way which makes a referendum in the next parliament less likely. That is simple fact.
    No it won't be Ed. It will be Cameron. He is entirely responsible for the mess he has led his party into and if Labour win in May the only person to blame for that will be Cameron.
    RobD said:

JohnO said:

@JohnO, that is my prediction too, Cameron will be PM after May 2015. And if Labour choose to pick Andy Burnham, yes please as that will see George Osborne win 2020.
    JohnO said:

IOS said:

JohnO

You don't need to be a genius to see the Tories haven't won a majority for 22 years.

Fitalass you just don't get it! Many UKIP voters including me see no difference between Labour and Tory. We couldn't care less. They're all part of the discredited establishment that has done so much harm to this country over the past years. You said UKIP wouldn't win the European elections, you said they would go away after that, and now what.....you're trotting out the same tired old argument that UKIP voters will go back to the Tories. Now Greg Hands trotting it out as well!
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

UKIP leader Nigel Farage concedes defeat to Labour in Heywood and Middleton by-election ahead of the official result being announced

Not so fast, they asked a recount.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

LOL

• Options
    TGOHF said:

RobD said:

TGOHF said:

RobD said:

A feature of the previous GE was the reluctance of Conservative voters to vote tactically.
  • Options
    joncraigSKY @joncraig · 8m 8 minutes ago
    Closer than we thought at H&M. UKIP successfully call for recount. Paul Nuttall says "620 votes in it". Lab admit: "It's going to be close".
  • Options

Dugher going into reverse ferret mode

What an arrogant twat he is, utterly pathetic
  • Options
    Lord Ashcroft is blaming someone specific:

Lord Ashcroft @LordAshcroft · 4m 4 minutes ago
    The ConservativeParty leadership must take a large part of the credit for the rise of UKIP!!!
  • Options
    UKIP now believe they are within a few hundred - staggering! Vote Tory wake up with Miliband in the North of England at places like H&M Mr Cameron!
  • Options
    So a full recount.. for a margin as large as 600 votes? Seriously?
  • Options
    Full Second recount in Heywood
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited October 2014
    TGOHF said:

RobD said:

When UKIP have come from nowhere to within a few hundred votes of Labour in second place. They will have taken thousands of votes from the Tories and Libdems. Risible truly risible
  • Options
    Apparently the Macedonian case isn't ebola but due to heavy drinking !
  • Options
    Lucky old Cam - Heywood now bigger story than Clacton.
  • Options
    Buzzfeed person "Carswell got every vote going"
  • Options
    Vote Tory in the North of England and wake up with Ed Miliband
  • Options
    Wow wow wow - says Lord Ashcroft.
  • Options
    That a be from Sky news
  • Options
    RobD said:

If only the constituency polls showed it as close I wonder what would have happened.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Lucky old Cam - Heywood now bigger story than Clacton.

Clacton was priced in from the start, to use the common parlance.
  • Options
    LibDem vote has fallen from 22% to 2% in H&M - lost deposit time.
  • Options
    I have heavily criticised Carsewell for making the taxpayer cough up for this expensive UKIP by-elections stunt just months from a fecking GE!! He could just have easily stood down as a Tory MP and run as the UKIP candidate at the next GE. Now I will dismiss any UKIP criticism of both deficit reduction and the increasing UK debt mountain by the Coalition Government, no wonder UKIP is regarded as stunt ridden joke.
    hunchman said:

fitalass said:

AndyJS said:

@JohnO, well said.
    JohnO said:

You would have been the first to criticise Carswell if he had defected without getting a mandate from the voters!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

If only the constituency polls showed it as close I wonder what would have happened.
    Must have been a late swing, can't believe their methodology was that bad.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2014
    RobD said:

What have UKIP got to lose?

The narrative will be "It was so close they had to recount" when the hacks write it up. That's better than "UKIP came close"

It's a PR stunt.
  • Options
    Pong said:

RobD said:

The narrative will be "It was so close they had to recount" when the hacks write it up. That's better than "UKIP came close"
    Returning officer should have confidence in his/her tellers!
  • Options
    fitalass said:

I have heavily criticised Carsewell for making the taxpayer cough up for this expensive UKIP by-elections stunt just months from a fecking GE!! He could just have easily stood down as a Tory MP and run as the UKIP candidate at the next GE. Now I will dismiss any UKIP criticism of both deficit reduction and the increasing UK debt mountain by the Coalition Government, no wonder UKIP is regarded as stunt ridden joke.

hunchman said:

fitalass said:

AndyJS said:

@JohnO, well said.
    JohnO said:

Did you not like the Carswell convention Fitalass?
  • Options
    fitalass said:

hunchman said:

fitalass said:

AndyJS said:

@JohnO, well said.
    JohnO said:

In your make believe world, Carswell would have done that. In the real world, he couldn't keep the promises he made in 2010 whilst still a Conservative MP.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

hunchman said:

fitalass said:

AndyJS said:

@JohnO, well said.
    JohnO said:

Go to bed with Dave, wake up with Ed.

The Tories are fucked and it's their own fault, get over it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pong said:

RobD said:

An accurate result is the most important thing. It's surprisingly common for bundles to be placed in the wrong pile. In 2010 in Dudley North around 2,000 Tory votes were initially placed in the UKIP basket.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    Vote Tory, get Labour in Heywood !
  • Options
    This Tory quine doesn't come from Torry.
    IOS said:

Fire up the printing press

Why UKIP splitting the right wing and Labour retaining their seat despite UKIP pushing hard is bad news for Ed Miliband

by Dan Hodges

JBriskin said:

fitalass said:

AndyJS said:

@JohnO, well said.
    JohnO said:

Hell hath no fury like a tory (not torry) quine s

fitalass said:

AndyJS said:

@JohnO, well said.
    JohnO said:

• Options
    RobD said:

Pong said:

RobD said:

Their instructions lasted forever and they had a break...

But yeah - maybe - too early to go to bed - full moon yesterday - everything in alignment.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

RobD said:

An accurate result is the most important thing. It's surprisingly common for bundles to be placed in the wrong pile. In 2010 in Dudley North around 2,000 Tory votes were initially placed in the UKIP basket.
    I hadn't appreciated that.. that's pretty appalling!
  • Options

A feature of the previous GE was the reluctance of Conservative voters to vote tactically.

Who the hell would they vote for.

1) Labour - looney lefties
    2) Libdem - looney lefties
    3) Green - looney lefties
    4) BNP - looney righties
    5) UKIP - looney righties
    6) Respect - looney lefties
    etc...

So which of the above should a sane conservative vote tactically for?

• Options
    Like 90% of Aberdonians Fitalass - a fairly safe bet.
  • Options
    joncraigSKY @joncraig · 4m 4 minutes ago
    UKIP source says at H&M count: "We never expected it to be as close as this!" Another UKIP source says: "We came here aiming to come 2nd!"

If only they knew that it will come that close.
  • Options

Who the hell would they vote for.

1) Labour - looney lefties
    2) Libdem - looney lefties
    3) Green - looney lefties
    4) BNP - looney righties
    5) UKIP - looney righties
    6) Respect - looney lefties
    etc...

So which of the above should a sane conservative vote tactically for?

I didn't say they should.

I said it was a feature of that GE. It was.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited October 2014
    What terrible communication by Rochdale council. Said it was a full recount, now it's just a bundle check.
  • Options
    Was a bundle check afterall.
  • Options
    Now looks like bundle check, but Labour margin just a few hundred votes ahead
  • Options
    UKIP = SNP Just think back to those SNP and Libdem by-election wins in Scotland during the last Parliament, then fast forward to the GE results in those same seats when the actual future Government depended on the results. Carsewell & Co are not going to be able to decide the first post GE budget or the future of the NHS etc.
    hunchman said:

fitalass said:

UKIP = SNP

Socrates said:

Hugh said:

They
    It

RobD said:

JohnO said:

@JohnO, that is my prediction too, Cameron will be PM after May 2015. And if Labour choose to pick Andy Burnham, yes please as that will see George Osborne win 2020.
    JohnO said:

IOS said:

JohnO

You don't need to be a genius to see the Tories haven't won a majority for 22 years.

Fitalass you just don't get it! Many UKIP voters including me see no difference between Labour and Tory. We couldn't care less. They're all part of the discredited establishment that has done so much harm to this country over the past years. You said UKIP wouldn't win the European elections, you said they would go away after that, and now what.....you're trotting out the same tired old argument that UKIP voters will go back to the Tories. Now Greg Hands trotting it out as well!
  • Options
    Artist said:

What terrible communication by Rochdale council. Said it was a full recount, now it's just a bundle check.

Absolute joke,....and now saying LibDems held their deposit.
This discussion has been closed.