Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Ashcroft tells the Tories that first time incumbency b

12346»

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    edited September 2014
    Socrates said:

Can we also start forcing GPs to organise prescriptions over the phone? It's absurd you have to make two visits to the GP and one to the pharmacist to get your medicine in this day and age. A classic case of Douglas Carswell's point that the rest of the world has moved on and public-sector dominated areas are stuck in the dark age.

Pharmacies are an amazing thing. My town of 60,000 people has about 40 of the things. It's not like they need experts to decide what to sell you, because it's right there on the prescription. What should happen is that the doctor puts the prescription in the computer, asks if you want to Pizza Hut or Dominos, and a kid on a motorbike shows up at your house 30 minutes later with your drugs, or sometimes 40 minutes but you get 20% off your next Neopolitan.
  • Options

Boris on the EU: "That is the new fisheries policy we need: first chuck Salmond overboard, then eat the Kippers."

But who's going to hoover up the Sturgeon?
    There is a suggestion that that is being subcontracted to Gordon Brown.
    Perfect. I'm sure the Spanish would also be interested.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Can we also start forcing GPs to organise prescriptions over the phone? It's absurd you have to make two visits to the GP and one to the pharmacist to get your medicine in this day and age. A classic case of Douglas Carswell's point that the rest of the world has moved on and public-sector dominated areas are stuck in the dark age.

You don't have to do any such thing . I drop off my repeat prescription at the GP and the pharmacy deliver it to my home within 36 hours .
    It sounds like there's a huge variety in service quality throughout the country.
    And there is a market. Dissatisfied patients can change GPs. That most do not do so suggests there are no burning problems for the patient on the Clapham omnibus.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Last section of this article .....

"The proposed restrictions on speaking in public are far, far wider than the 1980s broadcasting ban on Sinn Fein - and they seem to run contrary to a policy position that’s less than a year old.
    Last December, the government’s Extremism Taskforce, chaired by the PM, said: "While protecting society from extremism, we will also continue to protect the right to freedom of expression."
    Critics will say that position has now been ditched - and the home secretary is arguing that the only way to protect our democracy is to prevent free speech. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29427807
  • Options
    There are many things that could be improved about GPs - for example ending the absurd system at my local surgery where you cannot book an appt in advance but have to do so at exactly 8am on the day you want it.

However, forcing yet more family men and women professionals, who have chosen that role in some cases because it affords them more family time and keeps their weekends clear, to work weekends is an expensive, baloney, splurge of a policy that is designed purely to generate a good headline.

Anyone who thinks otherwise has damaged their critical capacities and should see a doctor.
  • Options

Only if you worry about the Joneses. My stepsister had a white Capri long bonnet with go-faster stripes and racing seats - coolest 'motor' ever. Doubly cool in fact because it was naff as hell and gave her extra street cred with her Sloaney friends. Was a hoot.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Pharmacies are an amazing thing. My town of 60,000 people has about 40 of the things. It's not like they need experts to decide what to sell you, because it's right there on the prescription. What should happen is that the doctor puts the prescription in the computer, asks if you want to Pizza Hut or Dominos, and a kid on a motorbike shows up at your house 30 minutes later with your drugs, or sometimes 40 minutes but you get 20% off your next Neopolitan.
    errm there may be some inefficiency you have identified there but eating the wrong pizza is usually not as life threatening as taking the wrong drug
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

Ukip Voters 'Elderly Male People Who've Had Disappointing Lives', Says Ken Clarke

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/09/29/ukip-voters-ken-clarke_n_5903940.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

LOL. You can count on Ken to tell it how it is....
    The full quote....

Clarke added that while Farage had "absorbed the BNP vote" and "taken on board BNP followers. He said there was "a nasty undertone" in Farage's movement. "He does attract elderly male people who have had disappointing lives," Clarke said.
    I would have thought that elderly male people who have had disappointing lives is a perfect description of Ken.
    You can say many things about Ken Clarke, but to say he's had a disappointing life is not one of them.

He's been Chancellor, Home Secretary, Justice Secretary, Education Secretary, Health Secretary, at 74 years he's still a dominant figure in British politics.
    Disappointment = aspiration minus achievement. He had three stabs at the party leadership.
    1997 and 2001 were possibly the biggest errors in Tory history.

1997 - Ultimately damaged William Hague in the long run by becoming Tory Leaders

2001 - We chose IDS over Ken Clarke, FerFuxsSake.

2001 - Really did depress the poop out of me.
    On the credit side of the ledger, most of those responsible for 2001 must by now be in UKIP, so at least another party is being saddled with the consequences of their stupidity.

If you imagine what the Tory Party would be like if it had to reabsorb that mentality, well, you'd be imagining the party of 13 years ago, I'd say.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I see Continuity Blair has been tweeting about growf. Like Brown and Balls he is a member of the Cult of Growf.

Has he any comment on the Balance of Payments, which was again far worse than predicted.

The last time the BoP was this bad was in 1989.

There were other similarities between 1989 and now - housing becoming unaffordable and retail sales at an all time high.

But in 1989 government debt was below 30%, had been falling for several years and the government was running a fiscal surplus. Now government debt is at 80% and rising and £100bn more gets borrowed each and every year.

In 1989 industrial production had risen by 60% during the previous generation and productivity was continually rising. Now industrial production is lower than it was in 1989 and productivity has been stagnant for nearly a decade.

It should be remembered that a year after 1989 the economy entered recession.

What happens if we have a recession next year ?

Didn't someone once make a comment about repairing the roof when the sun was shining ?

But all I see this week is the magic money tree getting another shaking and no roof repairing.

You missed the £25bn welfare cuts?
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

Ukip Voters 'Elderly Male People Who've Had Disappointing Lives', Says Ken Clarke

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/09/29/ukip-voters-ken-clarke_n_5903940.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

The full quote....

Clarke added that while Farage had "absorbed the BNP vote" and "taken on board BNP followers. He said there was "a nasty undertone" in Farage's movement. "He does attract elderly male people who have had disappointing lives," Clarke said.
    I would have thought that elderly male people who have had disappointing lives is a perfect description of Ken.
    You can say many things about Ken Clarke, but to say he's had a disappointing life is not one of them.

He's been Chancellor, Home Secretary, Justice Secretary, Education Secretary, Health Secretary, at 74 years he's still a dominant figure in British politics.
    Disappointment = aspiration minus achievement. He had three stabs at the party leadership.

1997 - Ultimately damaged William Hague in the long run by becoming Tory Leaders

I remember 2001 - I'd never felt so dejected.

In the counter history, Portillo is supposed to not have lost his seat in 1997 and then stood/won. Hague would then have moved in 2001 following his loss, and possibly stayed as leader through 2005 and beyond to become PM.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    currystar said:

The full quote....

Well, quite. UKIP is a party of disconnections. I don't just mean things like their claiming to be the real Conservatives while being opposed to free trade. The most obvious disconnection the typical UKIPper exhibits is to be in insistent denial about who else supports UKIP.

The ones shouting online in the DTR comments for pogroms of Muslims? That's not official UKIP policy. The ones blaming floods on gay marriage? He used to be a Tory so he's not real UKIP. Calling women sluts? That's OK, he's not UKIP anymore. Getting jailed for expenses fraud? That's OK, he's not UKIP anymore. Getting jailed for benefit fraud? That's OK, he's not UKIP anymore. MEPs having to repay thousands in fiddled expenses? Huff puff huff puff. Whatabout-whatabout-whatabout. Farage's wife being an immigrant? Huff puff huff puff. Whatabout-whatabout-whatabout.

They will have their moment of clarity, I suppose. I just hope it's not when they let Miliband into #10.
    They have also managed to persuade people what their policies are without actually having any. Their most popular "policy" that people think they have is to make foreign people leave the country. I have asked on here what UKIPs approach to foreign people currently living in the country is and have never got a response. Everyone who defends UKIP with extreme gusto should anyone ever dare say anything negative about UKIP, all claimed not to be part of UKIPs policy unit so didn't know. It is clever though to portray a perception without having a policy whatsoever.

My favourite line from one of our sparks this morning was that he was voting UKIP as they will get rid off all the blacks. He genuinely said that. He is clearly a racist who has found a home with UKIP beleiving that they will implememnt his racist ideals. Clearly they will not, but as long as he thinks they will then he will vote for them.
    Was it you that asked if I thought UKIP should repatriate immigrants, and, when I said no, started a row saying it made me a hypocrite?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

FYI - The next thread should be going up in the next half hour or so.

It contains some very bad language, so if you're easily offended by bad language you might want to give it a miss.

Not jokes about sexually abusing dead women again is it?
  • Options

Socrates said:

errm there may be some inefficiency you have identified there but eating the wrong pizza is usually not as life threatening as taking the wrong drug
    You clearly haven't sampled the Jalapeño Fire variety at my local pizzeria
  • Options
    Today's multicultural story from South Yorkshire:

" A young South Yorkshire couple were kicked off a bus and accused of racism – for singing the Peppa Pig theme to their baby daughter.

Nick Barnfield and fiancee Sarah Cleaves were travelling home when they started singing to their 15 month-old girl Heidi.

They said the toddler gets upset in crowded places and they hoped the tune from her favourite show – complete with pig-like snorts – would help calm her.

But an Asian woman accused them of being racist and reported them to the driver of the X78 First bus.

And to their astonishment he then ordered them off and threatened to call police if they refused. "

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/south-yorkshire-couple-in-peppa-pig-racism-row-1-6863760
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

The full quote....

Choosing Ken in 2001 would simply have meant the Tory party ripping itself apart even earlier than it has.
    Indeed, Richard, in much the same way as the Labour Party would have ripped itself apart had it chosen Healey over Foot in 1980.

In the end of course the error became obvious, but after how many years in the wilderness?
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    isam said:

FYI - The next thread should be going up in the next half hour or so.

It contains some very bad language, so if you're easily offended by bad language you might want to give it a miss.

Not jokes about sexually abusing dead women again is it?
    Does it contain flashing images and scenes of smoking?
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Socrates - for things on a repeatable prescription a call to the pharmacy seems to work better than the obvious routes, and my pharmacy delivers.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Dominos can hire one of the former pharmacists with their highly-developed taking-some-pills-off-a-shelf skills.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Socrates said:

Pharmacists are amazing, and provide a far greater range of services than just dispensing
  • Options
    I'm scratching my head in bewilderment at the posters who seem to think that it's somehow a bad thing that GPs should be asked to organise themselves in a way that fits in with modern life as it is now lived.

Effectively organised, especially in larger towns, I expect this proposal would actually be money-saving as pressure was taken off A&E departments and sections of the public once again became accultured to using their GPs.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    edited September 2014
    Patrick said:

Only if you worry about the Joneses. My stepsister had a white Capri long bonnet with go-faster stripes and racing seats - coolest 'motor' ever. Doubly cool in fact because it was naff as hell and gave her extra street cred with her Sloaney friends. Was a hoot.

*gasp*

You don't mean she had...she didn't really have...Recaro Fishnet Head Restraints!!!??
    http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=82936

O...M...G...

<...envy...>
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,167

Socrates said:

Sadly it doesn't always work like that. While the sort of errors which once arose, and with I was taught to deal, don't arise any more, it's surprising what can go awry, even in the days of computers!
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

There are many things that could be improved about GPs - for example ending the absurd system at my local surgery where you cannot book an appt in advance but have to do so at exactly 8am on the day you want it.

However, forcing yet more family men and women professionals, who have chosen that role in some cases because it affords them more family time and keeps their weekends clear, to work weekends is an expensive, baloney, splurge of a policy that is designed purely to generate a good headline.

Anyone who thinks otherwise has damaged their critical capacities and should see a doctor.

But only between 9 and 5:30 on a week day? As others have said, it will take pressure off A&Es which are far more expensive. The idea that the public services should be run for the lifestyle choices of those employed in them is one of the most stupid bits of left-wing politics.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

You don't have to do any such thing . I drop off my repeat prescription at the GP and the pharmacy deliver it to my home within 36 hours .
    It sounds like there's a huge variety in service quality throughout the country.
    And there is a market. Dissatisfied patients can change GPs. That most do not do so suggests there are no burning problems for the patient on the Clapham omnibus.
    Not always easy to do.
  • Options
    I pay a lot of tax to pay for the GP service I rarely use. When I do need it I expect it to be available when convenient to me not to have to take time off work to fit in with their 1950s hours. The NHS should be run for those who fund it. Not those who provide it. Doctors seem to think they are doingthe rest of us a favour rather than treating patients as paying customers.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Socrates said:

Pharmacists are amazing, and provide a far greater range of services than just dispensing
    I don't know if we are just lucky here in Wanstead but our local pharmacist is a legend.

Many consult him rather than the local doctor and I am sure that this takes some of the work burden off our local GPs.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Socrates said:

As a retired pharmacist, hat-tip!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,976
    Just heard Theresa May on the radio. However much a non Tory tries to like them it really just can't happen.

Even the patronizing way Tories talk to you makes you queasy. They just can't lose the Nurse Ratchet from their voices.

The underlying bigotry is just what it is to be a Tory I suppose. A shame really because I was thinking that realistically they are the only show in town and I was thinking of abstaining. But in reality you have to vote against the Tory......

Charles. Nice is OK today though they are still randomly stopping vehicles causing traffic mayhem at rush hours. Apparently ISIL executed a Frenchman whose wife lives 100 metres from me and they're checking people out.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,803
    Roger said:

Just heard Theresa May on the radio. However much a non Tory tries to like them it really just can't happen.

Even the patronizing way Tories talk to you makes you queasy. They just can't lose the Nurse Ratchet from their voices.

The underlying bigotry is just what it is to be a Tory I suppose. A shame really because I was thinking that realistically they are the only show in town and I was thinking of abstaining. But in reality you have to vote against the Tory......

Charles. Nice is OK today though they are still randomly stopping vehicles causing traffic mayhem at rush hours. Apparently ISIL executed a Frenchman whose wife lives 100 metres from me and they're checking people out.

Time to put out your Free Palestine posters Roger.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,260

Patrick said:

Patrick said:

Patrick said:

Mike can we have a thread sometime soon on economic policy and its electoral implications?

that the country looks set to choose to go bust.

Nice ramp, Patrick. Indeed, there are only two kinds of voters in England: Tory activists and the enemies of England. Teresa May is belatedly moving to address this.

Well - the macroeconomic picture is alot more important to me than all the other issues put together. I think few people realise just how much danger we and the rest of the world are in right now. This guy gets it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11129108/Mass-default-looms-as-world-sinks-beneath-a-sea-of-debt.html

How important is 'saving the NHS' when your whole country has gone all Venezuela? Ed Miliband is a nice man. He's also exceptionally dangerous because he'll cause profound damage to our economy and national finances. If life after New Labour is 'austerity' you wait until life after New New Labour. It ain't gonna be pretty. For you and your family included.
    ...the last bloke who managed to kill off the recovery he inherited from Labour...
    will end up if we don't resolve our unsustainable welfare state.
    I am that lefty. The only way that the public finances can be brought into order is by cutting pensions, and I don't mean 50p here or a £1 there. I'm talking means-testing (including capital value of homes owned outright) and cutting and/or taxing final salary occupational pensions for the rest of the money.

If you really want to address the issue (as opposed to making cheap partisan ramps) you look at why the problem arose in the first place. But demographics aren't sexy in the way that partisan abuse is.

Bollocks, if millions of foreigners can come here and get jobs, and most of them not brain surgeons , then why do we have any unemployed. If all the non disabled unemployed had taken these jobs we would have huge reduction in benefits. If you have worked hard to get a pension it should not be pillaged to give to someone who has not bothered. It is because of warped thinking by idiot lefties that we are in the mess we are in.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Smarmeron said:

@CarlottaVance

The ONS revisions also show that first quarter growth slower than previously thought - down from 0.8% previously thought to 0.7%.

As any fule know 0.7 then 0.9 gives a bigger compound growth than 0.8 then 0.8

;)

You are kidding I hope
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Smarmeron said:

@TGOHF
    As "any fule no", the figures are an estimate subject to revision.
    Which means the previous quarters downgrade is liable to be a better guess than this quarters estimate.

Yes but growth of 0.7, 0.9 results in a higher number than 0.8, 0.8 - so rejoice growth is better than previously thought !

You really do believe that bollocks
This discussion has been closed.