Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The early turnout figures shows it will be a record breakin

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @paulhutcheon: Looks like Team Scotland is going to vote No #indyref
  • Options

Isn't Andy Murray a tax exile like that other SNP luvvie Sean Connery?

@ianssmart: @iainmartin1 I'm sure he can afford it but it is still probably the most expensive tweet of all time.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    edited September 2014
    JohnO said:

James Kelly has conceded defeat.

http://scotgoespop.blogspot.co.uk/

Sweet of you to be checking in on him! Want to take him off my hands?

• Options
    We've had over 3,000 comments on PB in the last 20 hours.

One of PB's busiest days ever.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ManofKent Depends too on the seats won by UKIP

Indeed and its seems Cameron is doing his best to maximise the number of seats that UKIP take off him.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Single (Win) 1 £ 10.00 Scottish Independence Referendum Polling Wars Survation 7/4 Pending

Which Survation/Yougov polls are going to be used for this ?

Their final ones.
    Yes but which is the Yougov final one ?
    I suspect it'll be the one published at 10.30pm on Thursday.
    Hmm that final Yougov was asking people how they'd voted - might ask for my tenner back on that market tbh !

Survation's pre-closing poll was probably closer.
    I think Survation's phone poll will win that bet, regardless.

Edit: Poop, I've made a mistake.
    I have a match charity bet with James Bond on a 43% pivot - in the balance that one I think.
    Currently the betting odds are suggesting that No will be < 43%.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    edited September 2014
    Shetland follows Orkney, not quite a 2:1 majority but close.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

We've had over 3,000 comments on PB in the last 20 hours.

One of PB's busiest days ever.

The place to be for national events.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    edited September 2014
    @TheScreamingEagles
    "We've had over 3,000 comments on PB in the last 20 hours."

Do you have the figures for the "utter bullshit" comments yet? Or an idea when they will be available?
    Edited due overdose of alchohol.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@TheScreamingEagles

Do you have the for the "utter bullshit" comments yet? or an idea when they will be available?

If you ask Robert nicely, he might be able to get those figures for them.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    BBC misses the Shetland result.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    HYUFD said:

Realistically UKIP will use opposition to any new power and money for scotland as an extra campaign platform.
    Many in the rest of the country will be pissed in case of Devomax.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    edited September 2014
    Smarmeron said:

@TheScreamingEagles

Do you have the for the "utter bullshit" comments yet? or an idea when they will be available?

Sulky Smarmy!!!!!!

The hale world knows I'm not original - tick, tock boom loser.

• Options
    Shetland another predictable NO?
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Neil said:

JohnO said:

Yellow card.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    Simon Jenkins and Owen Jones now on BBC, Jenkins in particular was urging a Yes from London, now says victory for establishment, Jones says chance to rewrite UK relationship
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited September 2014
    I cannot emphasis enough just what a pivotal role Ruth Davidson has played in the Better Together campaign. She has turned up time and again at various events, and she has been totally on top of her brief and big on the facts and risks of Independence. She is also an extremely passionate politician and a very savvy media performer.

My youngest son attended the Big Debate last week, and after watching her performance he told me that I had definitely made the right call choosing her over Murdo Fraser in the Scottish Referendum. Been blown away on twitter and elsewhere at the very positive reaction she has received from both Libdem and Labour Better Together supporters I have met and engaged with. This by the way has developed into an amazing cross party coalition, and we had a bit of last night love in last night. :) Although, I did ask if come a No result in the early hours of Friday, would normal tribal service resume and see us all at logger heads again! :)

If you didn't catch last weeks BBC Radio4 Any Questions, would highly recommend it, Ruth Davidson and Jim Murphy giving a master class in why they have definitely become the Better Together A team during the whole campaign.

Scott_P said:

@jameschappers: Scottish Conservative leader @RuthDavidsonMSP on the lead for No: 'It could be double digits.' #indyref

Ruth Davidson comes out of this looking good.

• Options
    Scottish Labour woman on Sky totally blanking notion of EVEL and WLQ...arguing for more powers to large English metro authorities (coincidently Labour controlled). Shows their planned approach. Dishonourable, shameless scummers.
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    AndyJS said:

Not on BBC Pmt
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Well. It's been raining in our house
  • Options
    If the final result is indeed 43% : 57%, representing a No win by 14% (perhaps even more), you'd have to say that the pollsters didn't exactly cover themselves with glory.

The reason ...... for my money they hopelessly underestimated the Shy Nos, just as they will underestimate the Shy Tories next May - remember you read it here first!
  • Options
    To borrow on what has turned out to be a pretty disastrous Tory slogan EVfEL as a policy is

'In England but Not Run By England'
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733

If the final result is indeed 43% : 57%, representing a No win by 14% (perhaps even more), you'd have to say that the pollsters didn't exactly cover themselves with glory.

The reason ...... for my money they hopelessly underestimated the Shy Nos, just as they will underestimate the Shy Tories next May - remember you read it here first!

Shy Tories, or Shy UKIP?
  • Options

Martin Boon admitted he thought all the polls were underestimating No voters.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2014
    Heard a number of Labourites pushing the votes for 16 year olds. It seems a clear "on the crib sheet" for the evening.

If Cameron is going for EV4EL, which is a problem for Labour, how is he going to deal with issue of 16 year old votes which clearly the Tories wont want.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Shetland Yes 5969 No 9951
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Not BBC Scotland on BBC parliament. 'Normal' BBC is a bit more amateur.
  • Options
    @JBriskin
    We all talk bullshit, and post it.
    But there sometimes gems in unexpected places.

(your mine was worked out years ago)
    *blows a raspberry*.......in a non sexual way.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Lets just see if either Salmond or Sturgeon now try to claim that anyone voting No isn't on Team Scotland just because they also support team Great Britain! That was a huge own goal by the SNP/Yes campaign, and it really pi**sed off a lot Scots in the leg of this campaign. One of the classic cases of the SNP Cybernat campaign backfiring and then biting them on the behookie on Social Network sites.
    Scott_P said:

@paulhutcheon: Looks like Team Scotland is going to vote No #indyref

• Options
    @WingsScotland: Shetland. Here comes another shoeing.

Heart of stone...
  • Options
    Hope you're having fun Smarmy,

I'm watching Ed Conway.
  • Options
    Jim Murphy suggests 16/17 year olds get vote at general election
  • Options

Anyone (kindly) crunching all this data to forecast an outturn prediction?

It comes to something when you're worried you might lose money because there's a real chance YES could drop sub-40%

That 2/1 bet I suggested on 40% - 45% No is now the 4/6 favourite, so it's looking pretty good so far!
    Good call! Luckily I bet on that band myself before you posted that. I got on at 3.2!
    If you're nervous about <40% you could always close out now.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Lets just see if either Salmond or Sturgeon now try to claim that anyone voting No isn't on Team Scotland! God that was a huge own goal and real pi**sed so many Scots off in the leg of this campaign. One of the classic cases of the SNP cyber campaign backfiring and then biting them on the behookie on Social Network sites.

Absolutely stunning that a Grand Slam winning Rugby captain was not on Eck's Team Scotland

Numpty
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@WingsScotland: Shetland. Here comes another shoeing.

Heart of stone...

Looks like his Blue Book did wonders.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871
    Well 45 to 50 for yes now 5.1 amazing value imo
    it is going to be between 43 and 46 for yes
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Not BBC Scotland on BBC parliament. 'Normal' BBC is a bit more amateur.
    Indeed!!
  • Options
    I can't see No going over 60 but it's covered as a saver
  • Options
    @JBriskin
    Dark rum and You Tube for me.
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited September 2014
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Realistically UKIP will use opposition to any new power and money for scotland as an extra campaign platform.
    I assume what you mean (it is not clear) is that UKIP will oppose any further unilateral devolution that is proposed and will demand that an equal solution for the four home nations is provided under a federal umbrella as Paul Nuttall's paper proposes?

In particular a call to reform / abolish Barnett and for the creation of an English Parliament and the abolition of the House Of Lords.
  • Options

But that's good, right? If NO win by a heavy enough margin that they can claim a majority in all key sections of the Scottish electorate (e.g. Scottish men) that might help broad acceptance of the legitimacy of the result, and put it to bed.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    When Labour say they want to devolve power to English regions, Conservatives must say:

"Are you proposing different Income tax in Manchester and Liverpool and Newcastle and Surrey and Kent?"

"If Scotland is having power over Income Tax then so must England."

If you aren't devolving Income Tax to regions then it must be devolved to England."
  • Options
    It is hard to underestimate the importance of the No campaign holding the Lanarkshire results to about 50/50. Lanarkshire has more votes than Glasgow in total. Three weeks ago it was beginning to look like a disaster. The fight back came back with Labour accepting help from the other parties and business waking up to the threat. Over the last 3 weeks I gave up most of my day to day work to persuade my staff, my suppliers and associates to both vote and vote No. Many other businesses in the area did the same. This was a campaign fought on the streets.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Yes failing to win a single council isn't an impossibility.

Did anyone placed a bet on that outcome?
  • Options
    I've just realised ..... OGH has slept like a baby throughout tonight's events.
  • Options

Looks like his Blue Book did wonders.

I sort of wish I had a copy now. It will be an object of great interest to future historians
  • Options
    Yes out to 100 on Betfair.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Lennon said:

Shy Tories, or Shy UKIP?
    Shy UKIP? Yeah, right.... UKIP are shy in the same way that ScotNats are shy. And come next May, with similar consequences.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

BBC TV misses the result; R5L carried it (well, most of it but they were in in time for the numbers that mattered).
  • Options
    Mike Hancock MP resigns from Liberal Democrat Party
  • Options
    @faisalislam: "NO" areas of Edinburgh falling 70:30 No.."Yes" falling 50:50... Says one of the observers... Explaining sight of huddled inquest of Yessers
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@JBriskin
    Dark rum and You Tube for me.

I could hardly disapprove of that. I just hope, as a fellow PB Scot, that I don't sound as much of a twat online as you do.

• Options
    Any of you turnip heads seen that other big jessie?
  • Options

Scottish Labour woman on Sky totally blanking notion of EVEL and WLQ...arguing for more powers to large English metro authorities (coincidently Labour controlled). Shows their planned approach. Dishonourable, shameless scummers.

Typical Scottish Labour sticking their noses in where they have no business to be!

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Yes out to 100 on Betfair.

I cashed out my (Hedged with other bookies) position on Betfair for a loss of £39. Took £1.37 for £129 profit on Yes ^_~. James Kelly conceeding convinced me it was at ~ million to one or more.
  • Options
    @hamiltonace
    " Over the last 3 weeks I gave up most of my day to day work to persuade my staff, my suppliers and associates to both vote and vote No"
    You also posted on here that you would no longer use a business contact because he was voting "Yes"?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,479
    edited September 2014

He's awake now.

It was a conscious strategy, I went to bed around 2.30pm on Thursday, and woke up around 7pm. I'd take over PB from 10pm onwards, when Mike went to bed and Mike would take over, Friday morning.

We put a lot of planning into this, to make sure PBers were looked after.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871
    AndyJS said:

Yes failing to win a single council isn't an impossibility.

Did anyone placed a bet on that outcome?

Surely they will win Dundee
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Neil said:

JohnO said:

Yellow card.
    Yellow boxes!

• Options
    alexalex Posts: 244
    MikeL said:

When Labour say they want to devolve power to English regions, Conservatives must say:

"Are you proposing different Income tax in Manchester and Liverpool and Newcastle and Surrey and Kent?"

"If Scotland is having power over Income Tax then so must England."

If you aren't devolving Income Tax to regions then it must be devolved to England."

Were they actually proposed to devolve income tax setting to Scotland (remember they already have the power to vary the basic rate of tax)? I thought they were proposing to devolve income tax receipts? (not that i really understand how the devolving of any isolated set of taxes makes much sense whilst simultaneously having nationally allocated funding formulas (Barnett) continue.

I think there's a lot of overexcited assumptions about what will actually happen on devolution. Theory and practical implementation are two very different beasts.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Not too bad for YES in Orkney and Shetland, actually.

Revise them up a bit >40%

Central NO forecast lead 313,000
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    The Union is safe. I will away to my bed with a final raising of the glass to JackW and his McARSE - a better performer than any other of the mainstream pollsters it would seem.

Those who would scorn him should remember that he also has firmly held views that Ed Miliband Will Never Be Prime Minister. Doubt him at your perils.

Goodnight all.

• Options

Mike Hancock MP resigns from Liberal Democrat Party

Only the Libreral Democrats would try to bury good news!
  • Options

Anyone (kindly) crunching all this data to forecast an outturn prediction?

It comes to something when you're worried you might lose money because there's a real chance YES could drop sub-40%

That 2/1 bet I suggested on 40% - 45% No is now the 4/6 favourite, so it's looking pretty good so far!
    Good call! Luckily I bet on that band myself before you posted that. I got on at 3.2!
    If you're nervous about <40% you could always close out now.</p>
    I would if I could! Unfortunately, I screwed up my betting on this market by getting nervous and chasing my tail, so I can only close out there at a loss. Or I can gamble and 'hold' for a small win anywhere in the YES 40-50% bracket.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    SeanT said:

Betfair seems to have completely collapsed in terms of NO.

Yes - its all over so far as the main question goes.
  • Options
    Gove doing a good job of spinning that Cameron has a cunning plan...how true it is or how much it is Oliver Letwin-esque on the back of an envelope idea.
  • Options
    Making predictions for the three island areas was always a stab in the dark.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

When even WingsOverScotland is conceding defeat....
  • Options

Some of us were questioning the polls four weeks before the election, and questioning them from both sides i.e. not simply that they could be understating Yes and the possibility of independence, but that they could equally be understating No. To be fair to the pollsters, they had very little precedent to go on and to model with.
  • Options
    Speak English!!!
  • Options
    @JBriskin
    " I just hope, as a fellow PB Scot, that I don't sound as much of a twat online as you do."

Look at the face (human, not horse) in my current avatar.
    Is that the face of someone who gives a damn about what you or anyone else thinks of him?
  • Options
    Can't understand a bloody word of the Western Isles declaration..
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    Western Isles declaring - anyone speak Gaelic?
  • Options

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

I assume what you mean (it is not clear) is that UKIP will oppose any further unilateral devolution that is proposed and will demand that an equal solution for the four home nations is provided under a federal umbrella as Paul Nuttall's paper proposes?

In particular a call to reform / abolish Barnett and for the creation of an English Parliament and the abolition of the House Of Lords.
    Precisely.
  • Options

Well 45 to 50 for yes now 5.1 amazing value imo
    it is going to be between 43 and 46 for yes

Do we have any hints from Edinburgh - the postal votes were apparently very good for No.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Yes 9,195
    No 10,544

Michael Thrasher thought this was Yes's best hope.
  • Options
    Western Islanders vote NO?

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    NO wins in a SNP heartland, dear me.
  • Options
    Western Isles 9195 Yes, 10544 No - Another No victory in a strong SNP area.
  • Options
    Jesus has voted NO
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss The NO campaign has narrowly WON in the Western Isles!
  • Options

He's awake now.

It was a conscious strategy, I went to bed around 2.30pm on Thursday, and woke up around 7pm. I'd take over PB from 10pm onwards, when Mike went to bed and Mike would take over, Friday morning.

We put a lot of planning into this, to make sure PBers were looked after.
    Much appreciated, both of you. We punters do tend to take the smooth running of pb.com for granted.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited September 2014
    Western Isles - No 53.4%

And they have an SNP MP.

LOL!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Another win for No in the Western Isles. I am beginning to believe those who claimed that this was not going to be close were nearer to the truth than I was.

I think I can live with that.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Nice.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@JBriskin
    " I just hope, as a fellow PB Scot, that I don't sound as much of a twat online as you do."

Look at the face (human, not horse) in my current avatar.
    Is that the face of someone who gives a damn about what you or anyone else thinks of him?

Oh Smarmy, fair enough.

You should be giving me a LOT more respect right now though.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Another win for No in the Western Isles. I am beginning to believe those who claimed that this was not going to be close were nearer to the truth than I was.

I think I can live with that.

I am sure you can!!!

So far so good.

You must be buzzing David.

• Options
    Do I need to upgrade to Scottish water?
  • Options
    Lennon said:

Western Isles declaring - anyone speak Gaelic?

I think I speak it better than the returning officer! If only they declared first I could have used the time difference to make money on betfair!

• Options
    alexalex Posts: 244
    Looks like the pollsters have had a lucky escape. Imagine if their closing polls had all been 52:48 yes...
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss The NO campaign has narrowly WON in the Western Isles!

@Fitalass - Am I right in thinking you can go to bed tonight, a little more confident that there will still be a Union in the morning?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Western Isles - No 53.4%

And they have an SNP MP.

LOL!

What % did he get in 2010?
  • Options
    ManofKent/Speedy Indeed clear boost for Farage regardless

• Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Precisely.
    I agree there will be plenty pissed off with Cameron's latest panic stricken omnishambles in the making.
  • Options
    Western Isles Result Yes 9195 No 10544
  • Options
    @JBriskin
    "You should be giving me a LOT more respect right now"
    You have a radio controlled bomb under my seat?
    *hunts around looking for suspicious packages*
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Still a market both ways on Yes, but peanuts compared with the money in it earlier. Also still some money on both sides for Yes at 50-55in the vote share market. Still, the only market worth speaking of is whether Yes will be 40-45, under or over.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Western Isles - No 53.4%

And they have an SNP MP.

LOL!

An SNP stronghold since 1970.
  • Options
    John Curtice comes out well and the Labour lead holding was crucial-Carswell's defection being timed to ensure this happened.The Quebec shuffle may well have occurred as predicted.
This discussion has been closed.