Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The early turnout figures shows it will be a record breakin

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    What happened to the 1245 north Lanarkshire result?
  • Options

Sweet baby Jesus, turnout is shite (is relatively speaking) in the areas yes expected to do well.

Yep, and you know why?

Doubt.

In the end, they couldn't bring themselves to do it.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    No sooner I said it and the favourite has flip flopped.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

hunchman said:

GBPUSD touched 1.6470 just.

i.e. More than 2c up on 24hrs ago.
    OK World, you can bring your money back now....

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Sweet baby Jesus, turnout is shite (is relatively speaking) in the areas yes expected to do well.

But No doing well in high turnout area. High turnouts may be better for No than Yes...

• Options
    SeanT said:

Smarmeron said:

@SeanT
    Sober?

My country - which I love, Scotland and England, Wales and Ulster
    Ulster? Last time I checked an atlas, counties Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan were in the Republic :)
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Bollocks!! But someone had to go ahead and bite!
    It has been incredible to see the way that the SNP have over taken Labour on the ground in Dundee. A City which was once a classic Scottish Labour heartland, but like so many had been left neglected and taken for granted by the Scottish Labour party. There is no doubt that the SNP have been desperately trying to replicate that success in Glasgow now for nearly a decade.

But the biggest lesson for the Labour party is not just the way they took their grassroots Labour support for granted in this Independence Referendum campaign until almost the end of the campaign. No, their mistakes go back far further than that, and they are the key to the fact that we are even having this divisive debate at all. For too long the Labour party has sat on its arse in Scotland having delivered Devolution, and with it what they thought would be a Labour fiefdom that would defy any political change in Government at Westminster and continue to be a thorn in the side of any future Conservative Westminster Government.

Only one problem, the Scottish Labour continued to send all its best talent to Westminster after they hit Holyrood. The SNP on the other hand, sent all their biggest talent straight back up to Scotland and that Holyrood Parliament. And the rest is history, an SNP minority Government in 2007, and then that stunning SNP majority in at the 2011 Holyrood elections which caused an earthquake in the Scottish Labour party and set the events in motion which have led to this corrosive and divisive Independence Referendum in Scotland and the rest of the UK.

And any Labour supporter on here now trying to claim victory for the Labour party because they finally woke up and got their act together, lets just remember that the Tory vote for a NO was there and solid, as was that of the remaining Libdems. It was the Labour vote up here that only ever in doubt of risking the Union because of the early lack of visibility in the campaign at all. Well done to Jim Murphy and Douglas Alexander for sorting that out and getting their campaign off the ground. And well done to Gordon Brown for that rousing final speech that 'helped' an already committed Coalition team in Better Together in the final lap.

I had a go at Darling's soporific leadership of Better Together earlier. You're right to pick out Jim Murphy as the star of Labour's No team. You're also right to point out that (Dewar apart), Labour continued to send their A team to Westminster not Holyrood. Labour would do well to consider the logic of those two points.
  • Options

Yep, and you know why?

Doubt.

But, but the Nats kept on telling me they were more motivated and had the better GOTV.
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    SeanT said:

Smarmeron said:

@SeanT
    Sober?

Nah. Totally drunk. Don't care. End of months of tension. Just venting now.

My country - which I love, Scotland and England, Wales and Ulster - was imperilled. Part of my SOUL was endangered. I know many people don't understand these feelings, but it is what I feel.

So I am now unwinding. I intend to torment cybernats for about 24 hours, I intend to abuse these vicious nasty people who wanted to break up my country, then I shall return to normal.

xx
    I'm on my 9th pint? Hope to squeeze a few more in. Anyone else?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

SeanT said:

Smarmeron said:

@SeanT
    Sober?

My country - which I love, Scotland and England, Wales and Ulster
    Ulster? Last time I checked an atlas, counties Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan were in the Republic :)
    You're slowing down! ;)

• Options
    Ho ho ho.

Yes out to 70 on Betfair.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

But No doing well in high turnout area. High turnouts may be better for No than Yes...

No utterly galvanised to ensure Yes wouldn't win.
  • Options
    La Toynbee is speaking sense... We need a constitutional convention
  • Options
    alexalex Posts: 244
    Artist said:

Take the effort to register and then don't bother to go vote..very strange

If a "Yes" campaigner won't stop pestering you until you complete the forms, registering might be seen as the course of least resistance...

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The only question is whether Yes can win a council, probably in Dundee.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

Scott_P said:

@jameschappers: Scottish Conservative leader @RuthDavidsonMSP on the lead for No: 'It could be double digits.' #indyref

Ruth Davidson comes out of this looking good.
    If it is double digits, we add every single pollster to our "indyref losers" list...

• Options
    MikeL said:

Glasgow 75%

if true, poor.

But, WTF is La Polyana allowed on tv? (BBC of course). Why not the cat?
  • Options
    West Lothian 53-47,according ITV.unconfirmed.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Where are all the nationalists ?

As long as it is not a Pres Kerry moment...
  • Options

Chicken and egg? Weren't they "expected" to do well in part because of speculation about higher than conventional turnout in those areas?

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    When and where is next declaration? Need to sleep soon....
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Anybody seen the sage of Sweden, I fear for his safety.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    Sunil Today's yougov had Cameron with a higher approval rating in Scotland than Miliband, the Tories may now get a union bounce and pick up some rural Scottish seats
  • Options
    saddened said:

I thought turnips were preferred instead of Swedes?
  • Options
    Looking like a great result for Tories
  • Options
    saddened said:

Aquavit?
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    Betfair on the move!

80-85% 1.46-1.6
    85-90% 3.9-5

• Options
    Finkelstein predicts (knows?) Cameron is going to plump for EVFEL.
  • Options
    Huck67 Cameron and Brown been talking on the phone according to DT today and built something approaching a friendship
  • Options
    Is North Lanarks still the early bellweather? Any ideas for the time?
  • Options
    75% in Glasgow. Maybe the Celtic game did hit the vote. I also get the feeling that many of the recent immigrants and students did not feel comfortable to vote.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    01:56: Alex Salmond clarification BBC Political Editor Nick Robinson: Aides to @AlexSalmond insist that he has not cancelled appearance at his count. They say he was not going in the first place

Sure Alex...
  • Options
    mjtmjt Posts: 33
    Sophie is about the only thing holding my interest on Sky.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    My God, I agree with Sean T, I think any natiionalists deserve nothing but utter contempt.
  • Options
    Huw - "85% predicted turnout"
  • Options
    alex said:

Chicken and egg? Weren't they "expected" to do well in part because of speculation about higher than conventional turnout in those areas?

It maybe one of those self perpetuating myths.

Wasn't there a canvass return that showed Yes winning Clackmannanshire by 65% to 35%?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited September 2014
    BBC - Overall turnout approx 85%.
  • Options
    Stuart never said 'yes' would win. He pointed out that 'yes' was overpriced and that there was money to be made backing it and laying off later. Pretty profitable advice.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Chris_A

I will pass on the "contempt" Quite a few of my friends are "yes"
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    SeanT said:

alex said:

Stuart Dickson's "high turnout" theory has been proven to be total and utter cack. There has been a high turnout, but it's the NO voters turning out en masse.
    Yougov have been totally embarrassing in this campaign but they did No a hell of a favour with their Yes in the lead poll. It was the turning point of the campaign and in fairness Stuart recognised it at the time when he expressed apprehension about the consequences of Yes being shown to be in the lead too early.

There is no question that single poll energised the BT campaign and hardened the No vote like nothing else.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited September 2014
    In Italy we would have already finished counting. Even Naples is not so slow

On the other hand Tower Hamlets is about to start counting the postal votes just in case they are needed
  • Options

How do you work that one out?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sunil Today's yougov had Cameron with a higher approval rating in Scotland than Miliband, the Tories may now get a union bounce and pick up some rural Scottish seats

HYUFD -seats such as?
  • Options
    mjt said:

Sophie is about the only thing holding my interest on Sky.

Switched channel...and I got Kay :-(
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    There are a lot of Nat spanners (there are in every party) but lets not make PB not usuable for our good nat posters.
  • Options
    saddened said:

The high point of ScotNat hubris was about 48 hours ago, when he listed all his bets with PBers....
  • Options

In Naples they have the result a week before the vote.
  • Options

fitalass said:

Bollocks!! But someone had to go ahead and bite!
    It has been incredible to see the way that the SNP have over taken Labour on the ground in Dundee. A City which was once a classic Scottish Labour heartland, but like so many had been left neglected and taken for granted by the Scottish Labour party. There is no doubt that the SNP have been desperately trying to replicate that success in Glasgow now for nearly a decade.

But the biggest lesson for the Labour party is not just the way they took their grassroots Labour support for granted in this Independence Referendum campaign until almost the end of the campaign. No, their mistakes go back far further than that, and they are the key to the fact that we are even having this divisive debate at all. For too long the Labour party has sat on its arse in Scotland having delivered Devolution, and with it what they thought would be a Labour fiefdom that would defy any political change in Government at Westminster and continue to be a thorn in the side of any future Conservative Westminster Government.

Only one problem, the Scottish Labour continued to send all its best talent to Westminster after they hit Holyrood. The SNP on the other hand, sent all their biggest talent straight back up to Scotland and that Holyrood Parliament. And the rest is history, an SNP minority Government in 2007, and then that stunning SNP majority in at the 2011 Holyrood elections which caused an earthquake in the Scottish Labour party and set the events in motion which have led to this corrosive and divisive Independence Referendum in Scotland and the rest of the UK.

And any Labour supporter on here now trying to claim victory for the Labour party because they finally woke up and got their act together, lets just remember that the Tory vote for a NO was there and solid, as was that of the remaining Libdems. It was the Labour vote up here that only ever in doubt of risking the Union because of the early lack of visibility in the campaign at all. Well done to Jim Murphy and Douglas Alexander for sorting that out and getting their campaign off the ground. And well done to Gordon Brown for that rousing final speech that 'helped' an already committed Coalition team in Better Together in the final lap.

I had a go at Darling's soporific leadership of Better Together earlier. You're right to pick out Jim Murphy as the star of Labour's No team. You're also right to point out that (Dewar apart), Labour continued to send their A team to Westminster not Holyrood. Labour would do well to consider the logic of those two points.
    Lamont was very good on radio appealing for solidarity and unity but she has not cut the mustard yet by any means.After saving the world and now the union,I fancy Gordon Brown would be a shoo-in for 1st Minister,King Gordon.What a remarkable resurrection.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Mega win for No in Orkney. Bigger than expected I would say.
  • Options
    This looks like being a humiliation for some of the more vocal posters on here who assured us we knew nothing of what was happening on the ground and there was no way that there was an issue with shy no voters due to intimidation.

I'm sure they'll be along soon to admit they were wrong and apologize.
  • Options
    Orkney heavily NO, no surprise I guess.
  • Options
    BBC: John Denham and Diane Abbott support EVFEL
  • Options

Getting confused bro!

The Tories were not on the ballot....

Go to bed!!
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    AndyJS said:

Another disappointing turnout for Yes, just 75% in Glasgow.

The big cities are not getting the same turnout has the more rural areas which is usually the case. Glasgow I think had seats at below 40% at the last Scottish Election. However the urban areas of the Central belt has had similar turnouts to the more rural areas so it maybe that getting people newly registered is one thing but getting them to actually vote is another.
  • Options
    SKY is importuning disappointed YES teenagers
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    About 67% No in Orkney...
  • Options
    Neil said:

Stuart never said 'yes' would win. He pointed out that 'yes' was overpriced and that there was money to be made backing it and laying off later. Pretty profitable advice.

It was profitable only so long as you got out in time. He was still saying Yes was overpriced at 9pm just before it started going extreme the other direction and never returned.
  • Options
    James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 30s

David Cameron will today indicate he wants to move 'swiftly' to implement English votes for English MPs, according to senior Tories #indyref
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    edited September 2014
    Orkney 67-33 no
  • Options

Yep, and you know why?

Doubt.

You can lead a horse to water, and you can sign a person up to the electoral roll, but you can't make the horse drink and you can't make the person vote.

I think Yes deluded themselves that these seriously disengaged individuals who they signed up were going to go on and vote (and to vote heavily Yes). It was the equivalent of someone agreeing with a canvasser simply to get rid of them from the doorstep.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    First two results imply YES sub-40%
  • Options

The problem is that Labour can't force their best, brightest and most ambitious that they should carve out a career in Holyrood for the sake of the Union. Remember even Alex Salmond stayed away at first until he realised the potential for his cause there. At best they might see it as a useful training ground/step on the ladder.

Maybe what needs to come out of any future constitutional change is some way to involve the Scottish Parliament directly into the wider UK political process, although its a bit difficult to see how. Perhaps through sensible reform of the Lords?

• Options
    Yes getting very excited about a 2-1 defeat in Orkney.
  • Options
    yes but they always declare one week after

In Naples they have the result a week before the vote.
  • Options
    @saddened
    No one I know was "shy" about the way they intended to vote, if it came up in the conversation they would tell you.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

David Cameron will today indicate he wants to move 'swiftly' to implement English votes for English MPs, according to senior Tories #indyref

Would be great and I would eat many, many words in that case.
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    English MPs on English votes not enough. Need actual devolution to local government
  • Options

Huw - "85% predicted turnout"

Hmm... strokes chin and reminds himself of his pb prediction...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Official PB losers: Southam Observer (yet again, and now surely beyond credibility), Easterross, every single Scot Nat (with the possible exception of Stuart Dickson) plus all you tossers who officially predicted a YES win.

Official PB winners: me, JackW, rcs, and I guess some others.

Mark Senior looks like being a winner.
  • Options
    saddened said:

This looks like being a humiliation for some of the more vocal posters on here who assured us we knew nothing of what was happening on the ground and there was no way that there was an issue with shy no voters due to intimidation.

I'm sure they'll be along soon to admit they were wrong and apologize.

But canvass returns...

And Yes posters in every window, No posters only in fields...

There is no Silent No vote, or tanks...
  • Options

On the other hand Tower Hamlets is about to start counting the postal votes just in case they are needed

Scots are Calvinists at heart. That means they have to spend several minutes scrutinising every vote.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    GBPUSD touching 1.6520. EURGBP at 0.7817 - Sterling strongest against Euro since time of London Olympics.

No surprise about Orkney.
  • Options
    The Tories are the party of the Union, DC was about to be skewered if Yes won or even got close, he took a risk and looks like he will win. The importance of the vote has possibly brought out potential tory voters who are unionists
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    SeanT said:

Official PB losers: Southam Observer (yet again, and now surely beyond credibility), Easterross, every single Scot Nat (with the possible exception of Stuart Dickson) plus all you tossers who officially predicted a YES win.

Really? Does this result vindicate the mad flap you got into after that single Yougov poll a couple weeks back?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Yes getting very excited about a 2-1 defeat in Orkney.

Well, because they now don't need to worry about an independent Orkney breaking away from an independent Scotland....
  • Options
    Tommy Sheridan 'Bosses, Bankers, Billionaires&Millionaires unite with Labour MPs, Tories, UKIP & UK Establishment 2 celebrate Project Fear' Tommy forgetting corporation tax cutting Salmond and income tax rise opposing SNP, + Millionaire Yes backers Murray, Connery, Mathewson and Souter
  • Options
    Orkney another clear No
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I might to eat humble pie for ridiculing a 40/60 vote split.

Anyway, job done and good night all.

Edit: anyone want to come up with an apt 'your boys took a hell of a beating' ;-)
  • Options

Great, but how does that solve the executive problem?

Could easily end up with Miliband PM unable to enact any domestic legislation whatsoever.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Vote NO, get Ed?
  • Options
    Yes now at 85 on Betfair
  • Options
    SeanT said:

You came far closer to calling it for 'yes' than many nats did!

• Options
    That's one hell of a rejection for independence by Orkney - they'll rue the day etc, etc...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD -seats such as?
    All bets should be off until the impact of the vote on the SNP feeds through. Also it will be interesting to see if the Tories take the relatively good ratings for Cameron as a sign that there may be future in taking Scotland more seriously in the General Election.

• Options
    SeanT said:

I consider myself a huge winner if Scotland votes No. It will be the result I desperately wanted. My country will remain intact. As for tipping - who gives a toss??!!

• Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    How did Johann Lamont ever become SLAB leader?! She is just terrible in every way possible!

Cameron Big Brother winner on BBC Scotland now from Orkney lol
  • Options
    @david_herdson
    A lot of voters will have signed up, listened to the debates, and then decided they honestly didn't know which way to vote.
    I only finally made my mind up on my way to the polling station.
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited September 2014

The Tories are the party of the Union, DC was about to be skewered if Yes won or even got close, he took a risk and looks like he will win. The importance of the vote has possibly brought out potential tory voters who are unionists

To save his hide, he has had to offer a bribe to the Scots which opens the even bigger can of worms known as the English Question as well as the none to small issue of defining exactly what Devomax is.

Out of the frying pan into the fire...........
  • Options
    IOS said:

English MPs on English votes not enough. Need actual devolution to local government

That's the last thing we need. Another layer of party hacks spending tax on pet projects.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Now there's something you don't read every day on PB.com....

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @WingsScotland: I'm hearing from an impeccable source that Henry McLeish will come out for Yes on Monday.

:-)
  • Options
    If Miliband opposes EVFEL it could well cost him votes.

It's a simple issue that is easy to understand.

I said before it won't be a big issue in the GE but at least it gives Cameron something to put him on the front foot and Miliband will look defensive and evasive.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Now there's something you don't read every day on PB.com....

He took a load of abuse from the Nats, when he consistently predicted Yes was toast, for many months.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Great, but how does that solve the executive problem?

Could easily end up with Miliband PM unable to enact any domestic legislation whatsoever.
    In the US, the president does not usually have control of both houses. It is considered a sensible check on an overpowerful executive.

We should perhaps think the same. A national government that could not get legislation through parliament on English matters against English MPs wishes is surely a good thing.
  • Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185
    I must have misread many of your recent posts SeanT as I thought you had thrown in the towel and called it for YES but I always appreciate your heart lay elsewhere.
  • Options
    Looking like "English votes for English laws" will be the latest Tory wheeze to grab power less than a year before the next election. Shameless.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    IOS said:

There are a lot of Nat spanners (there are in every party) but lets not make PB not usuable for our good nat posters.

Absolutely. Nobody needs to apologise - Scotland's had a choice, they've had a superb turnout, and it's a triumph for democracy as well as the Union, thanks to both sides.

• Options
    Dundee local paper's journalist telling SKY that YES is expected to carry Dundee 55-45.

Now interviewing a Labour list MSP....they had to ask her "who are you?"
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Jenny Marra on Sky at the moment is a future star for Labour in Scotland. Been very impressed with her.
  • Options
    DavidL is another big winner from this referendum.
This discussion has been closed.