Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » All the signs are that the turnout is large

Comments

• Options
    BetFred - Turnout

Over 85% 4/7
    80 - 85% 9/4
    75 - 80% 5/1
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,812

MaxPB said:

DanSmith said:

Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 1h
    Senior figure in No campaign predicted they'll win 58-42 in Scotland. Yes gone very quiet. We'll see

Surely a breach of electoral law by Maguire given that the polls are still open.
    It's legal to make predictions, even more legal to quote someone else's. We've been doing little else for weeks.

Howard said:

"Sunday Herald Editor, saying he's heard from several sources yes is ahead in postal vote"

I read this tweet. Does anyone know if its possible that this could be known at this stage?

Surely they only count postals at the same time as the other ballots?
    It's often possible with good eyesight to make a good guess from verification of the postal votes. Quoting from that IS illegal, but saying you've met someone who did is not.

I thought that the Chief Returning Officer had decided that postal votes were to be mixed in with the ballots on the day? There were critics of this who pointed to the doubts raised in the previous Glenrothes election
  • Options
    Betfair's main Indy market does appear to have gone strangely quiet.
    Perhaps the high rollers have done all their business and retired for the night, or at least until the results start coming in.
  • Options
    I don't think old people would have no landline, but I think deprived people may. I think the lowest income 10% who are essentially not in good accommodation.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Stornoway airport is closed due to fog, this will massively effect the vote count time

Saw something earlier about the possibility of Western Isles being the first to declare. Struck me that was logistically impossible, unless they were all postals.
  • Options

Maddocio said:

If Stuart Dickson really wants a yes vote then why the hell is he dicking around on political betting.com while the polls are still open?

Doesn't Stuart live in Sweden?
    Surprised he's not trying to contribute to his life's work
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Yes has done better among the very deprived than No.

I'm sure that's right. I guess if you, your kids and your kids' kids had all subsisted on estates for decades, seeing one Labour MP after another come and go with no change, you'd be ready to vote for anything.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,910

Where have all the nats on this thread gone ?

#turnip

Busy voting?

malc said he voted by post - six times.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Stornoway airport is closed due to fog, this will massively effect the vote count time

Saw something earlier about the possibility of Western Isles being the first to declare. Struck me that was logistically impossible, unless they were all postals.
    So few people live there that they wont matter in terms of the outcome.
  • Options
    Howard said:

Looks like turnout is going to be stunning. Truly stunning.

Indeed. It shows how much people care about this. The result will have total legitimacy.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    New here so apologies for what is probably a stupid question. In a two horse race, huge unknowns, difference between the sides in polls within the margin of error, how can the odds be so wildly out? 6.4 on yes must be a worth a bet, possibly a huge one? What am I missing?
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

#turnip

Oh dear - turnout will be 231% for YES, 30% for NO

• Options
    Mr. Historyman, welcome to the site.

Many have asked that question.
  • Options

#turnip

Oh dear - turnout will be 231% for YES, 30% for NO

this poll is totally legitimate - unless the answer's NO
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,014
    "Have you ever wondered how the man who drives the snowplough gets to the snowplough" if anyone remembers this most famous VW commercial it got me thinking who the two people who manned the polling station voted. Well the answer in the polling station I was manning both voted YES. The Bastards! Prediction turnout 86% Yes 46 .
  • Options
    AllyMAllyM Posts: 260
    The big news for me is that Neil Oliver has over 95,000 likes on Facebook for his support of the Union statement..

Who'd a thunk Neil Oliver would have such a sum!
  • Options

The Yes camp seems absolutely certain of victory, as it has for weeks. The reaction if by some freak No wins will be something to behold.

I'm really looking forward to the first shot of Salmond when the news is confirmed. For once, I don't think we'll see that famous smug grin.
  • Options

New here so apologies for what is probably a stupid question. In a two horse race, huge unknowns, difference between the sides in polls within the margin of error, how can the odds be so wildly out? 6.4 on yes must be a worth a bet, possibly a huge one? What am I missing?

Pretty much every poll has come in as NO.

• Options
    Mr Historyman - There is no good reason. But you can take advantage of the market's inefficiency...
  • Options
    Ladbrokes have Yes at 100/30, in from 5-1
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Alistair said:

There will undoubtedly be a high proportion of postals - but the main factor was the use of a helecopter to pick all the ballot boxes up. The'd probably have all 22000 votes ready to count by 11pm in that case - hence the early estimated declaration.

If the helecopter can't fly, then the boxes will be taken by road tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,294

The Yes camp seems absolutely certain of victory, as it has for weeks. The reaction if by some freak No wins will be something to behold.

I'm really looking forward to the first shot of Salmond when the news is confirmed. For once, I don't think we'll see that famous smug grin.
    Stunned realization he's achieved his life's endeavour will do that to a man, sadly.
  • Options
    My two hopes for this evening are that the count proceeds smoothly and there are no farcical issues with these machines they are using.

The second is that I hope all those that are queuing up at 10:00 are able to vote and we don't see a repeat of the 2010 general election fiasco.

If I were to call tonight, I think yes wins 52/48
  • Options
    Roger said:

"Have you ever wondered how the man who drives the snowplough gets to the snowplough" if anyone remembers this most famous VW commercial it got me thinking who the two people who manned the polling station voted. Well the answer in the polling station I was manning both voted YES. The Bastards! Prediction turnout 86% Yes 46 .

Roger

good to see you can do some manual work outside the confines of your bathroom.

Are you calling it yes, no, maybe or civil war ?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited September 2014
    DavidL said:

Actually there are increasing indications that turnout may not prove to be quite as massive as once thought. There was incredie turnout first thing this morning but there are indications this has tailed off a bit. Outside a poling station now waiting for final figures and it is pretty much deserted.

Had a more difficult session of GOTV since I last posted where there was some slippage to yes and another where the don't knows had broken our way heavily. Basically good areas have got better and bad areas have got worse.

I've thought from the start turnout would be something like 75% rather than some of the more spectacular predictions. I say this admittedly having not set foot in Scotland in years and there's a very good chance I'm completely wrong, but I suppose cynically I just wonder whether ANYTHING political (even something as significant as this) could ever engage 90%+ of the public in this day and age.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,249
    Howard said:

Alistair said:

We never know (or at least not till sparrow f*rt tomorrow). And, more to the point, for once, everyone's vote counts and is equal.

Very, very refreshing after FPTP.

• Options
    toontoon said:

My two hopes for this evening are that the count proceeds smoothly and there are no farcical issues with these machines they are using.

The second is that I hope all those that are queuing up at 10:00 are able to vote and we don't see a repeat of the 2010 general election fiasco.

Anyone in the queue at 2200 sharp gets to vote, even if this is a bit later. Ergo no worries.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Howard said:

Alistair said:

We never know (or at least not till sparrow f*rt tomorrow). And, more to the point, for once, everyone's vote counts and is equal.

FFS this poll IS FPTP
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    sarissa said:

MaxPB said:

DanSmith said:

Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 1h
    Senior figure in No campaign predicted they'll win 58-42 in Scotland. Yes gone very quiet. We'll see

Surely a breach of electoral law by Maguire given that the polls are still open.
    It's legal to make predictions, even more legal to quote someone else's. We've been doing little else for weeks.

Howard said:

"Sunday Herald Editor, saying he's heard from several sources yes is ahead in postal vote"

I read this tweet. Does anyone know if its possible that this could be known at this stage?

Surely they only count postals at the same time as the other ballots?
    It's often possible with good eyesight to make a good guess from verification of the postal votes. Quoting from that IS illegal, but saying you've met someone who did is not.

I thought that the Chief Returning Officer had decided that postal votes were to be mixed in with the ballots on the day? There were critics of this who pointed to the doubts raised in the previous Glenrothes election
    They're still verified as they come in (to save fiddling about with declaration forms on the day). It's done face down but some claim to be able to see through the papers, or you can catch glimpses as they're laid down, a bit like a card sharp watching the dealer. I have a LibDem colleague who was extremely confident of it at the Euros (but was mostly wrong). It's a bit better than tea leaves, but not a precise art.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Someone made the point that there could be another Scots indy ref in 2017, if there was a UK wide EU in/out referendum, which a Tory government supported to come out.

I think this is a possibility. According to the YES campaign they could easily obtain EU membership using article 48. In the event that it was mainly England that wanted to leave the EU, this might trigger Wales and Scotland to vote for independence to stay in the EU.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Howard said:

Alistair said:

FFS this poll IS FPTP squared
  • Options
    Aberdonians just getting on with their day here, no real frenzy of any sort as I saw and heard it.

A Yes stand was out for a bit in the city centre, had the odd visitor but looked dead and they shut up shop sharp...

I dropped into the BT office. Those who weren't at the Poling Places were on the phones.

Saw an usual couple walking about with a Yes flag with a goth, kilt thing going on. They had chants of No following them - largely from school kids.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Actually there are increasing indications that turnout may not prove to be quite as massive as once thought. There was incredie turnout first thing this morning but there are indications this has tailed off a bit. Outside a poling station now waiting for final figures and it is pretty much deserted.

Had a more difficult session of GOTV since I last posted where there was some slippage to yes and another where the don't knows had broken our way heavily. Basically good areas have got better and bad areas have got worse.

David - with just 40 minutes to go before the the polling booths close, what's your overall take in terms of the Yes/No balance against expectation and also as regards turnout?
  • Options
    I have a modest bet on Yes at 45% to 50%. I think I might lose, but I have no idea in which direction!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

DavidL said:

I've thought from the start turnout would be something like 75% rather than some of the more spectacular predictions. I say this admittedly having not set foot in Scotland in years and there's a very good chance I'm completely wrong, but I suppose cynically I just wonder whether ANYTHING political (even something as significant as this) could ever engage 90%+ of the public in this day and age.
    I think even in elections with compulsory turnout 90% isn't unusual, though I will stand corrected if someone has better info. To even get close to that is a phenomenal achievement.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    "Chief Counting Officer" being interviewed rather unnecessarily on Sky News. Kudos to her for milking her 15 minutes I guess.
  • Options
    toontoon said:

Are they using machines to count? That make me nervous.
  • Options

Nothing.

The Yes price is too big. If I were starting from scratch, I would have a small wager on Yes, because it is better value. Most of us here have however been betting on this event for a long while, years in some cases. We have built up positions over that period and are now, mostly, hedging and adjusting our positions.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,042

Carnyx said:

Howard said:

Alistair said:

FFS this poll IS FPTP
    It was those pesky Liberals which broke FPTP ;)
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Maddocio said:

Maddocio said:

If Stuart Dickson really wants a yes vote then why the hell is he dicking around on political betting.com while the polls are still open?

Doesn't Stuart live in Sweden?
    Surprised he's not trying to contribute to his life's work
    It's important but not important enough to fly in from Sweden, that would require actual commitment, not internet commitment which is so much easier and more comfortable. Its a bit like all the Facebook campaigns that swirl around, it allows people to feel they have done something when in fact they have done feck all.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Howard said:

Alistair said:

How on earth do you work that out??

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    There is more truth to nessie than the SNP economic predictions
    http://www.economicsuk.com/blog/

If its Yes then sadly its all too late.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,355
    Just had a dinner of Scottish Salmon and Pasta, followed by haggis 'neeps + tatties' and waiting for close of polls in an hour.
  • Options

That does surprise me (apart from the usual campaign statements). No's been confident for years!

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    We could bet on the betting?

What price YES trades under 4.5?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Howard said:

Alistair said:

First past the post plus one.

Its FPTP with only 2 candidates
  • Options
    The Chief Counting Officer expects the result between 6 am and 9 am
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Just to say thanks v much for your updates in this campaign - I've enjoyed reading them.
  • Options
    Any NO backers out there? Get over to Shadsy's. He's offering the current best price: 2/9.

Clear signs of distress there! ;)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,355
    Nick Palmer I did vote verification for the Euros, and as you say the postal ballots have to be kept face down, even by the verifier. You may be able to get an idea of the result in a council ward if you are really good at picking out marks and symbols from a distance, but how on earth you can know the result for the whole of Scotland is beyond me!
  • Options
    90% + Turnout continues to tighten.

Don't believe it myself, but 85% + looks about right.
  • Options
    AllyM said:

Aberdonians just getting on with their day here, no real frenzy of any sort as I saw and heard it.

A Yes stand was out for a bit in the city centre, had the odd visitor but looked dead and they shut up shop sharp...

I dropped into the BT office. Those who weren't at the Poling Places were on the phones.

Saw an usual couple walking about with a Yes flag with a goth, kilt thing going on. They had chants of No following them - largely from school kids.

I think the biggest news in Aberdeen the last couple of days is that Bill Daniel the Union Street Piper died at the age of 41.

He was a fixture next to the statue of Edward VII and though his piping could sometimes be a little 'variable' he was a great local attraction.

RIP Bill.
  • Options

Not sure whether I go to bed now and get up at 5am or stay up to watch the first piffling results and then not dare to turn on the news in the morning.

Eep

• Options
    isam said:

Pretty likely I would say...

• Options
    Mr. Dickson, a better low odds bet might be a safety car to appear at Singapore at 1.2. Haven't backed it myself (I have a loathing of short odds) but it is probably value.
  • Options
    Finding it painful to look at a computer screen now (the brightness on my eyes, not pain at the likely outcome that is). Of all the bloody days, honestly. I may have to bow out soon (horrible, I know). Now having a tablet, I doubt I will be able to sleep though, being able to check in every now and then no doubt.

Everyone try to have ...fun?
  • Options

Not sure whether I go to bed now and get up at 5am or stay up to watch the first piffling results and then not dare to turn on the news in the morning.

Eep

I'm planning to stay up until Glasgow declares.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    I think Stuart Dickson did let slip once that he has a property in Scotland. So, my guess is he has voted postally.

And talking of second home-owners, an acquaintance of mine took her teenage daughter out of school for the day, and they both drove 250 odd miles to vote in person.
  • Options
    isam said:

Rock solid certainty.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,614

DavidL said:

David - with just 40 minutes to go before the the polling booths close, what's your overall take in terms of the Yes/No balance against expectation and also as regards turnout?
    I have been door knocking etc all day and have to emphasise that I do not have access to inside info only my own perceptions and some gossip. Anyone betting money on that does so at their own risk.

Having said that I think turnout will be higher than in a GE but 90%+ is ridiculous and will not happen unless Dundee is seriously atypical.

BT volunteers think they have won. Not by much but there is an air of confidence.

Labour think they have won Glasgow. The gap has definitely closed there but they are pretty confident it still exists.

Hard national figures seem non existent.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Looks like Scotland are staying, but England has had enough about the Westminster voting and budget situation.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Howard said:

Alistair said:

Of course, sorry, quite so, up too early to vote (but not often), thanks. I was thinking of the way in which every vote counts - not like so many FPTP GEs.

• Options
    Blueberry said:

DavidL said:

Just to say thanks v much for your updates in this campaign - I've enjoyed reading them.
    I'll second that.The various political organisers from all parties have put in a huge effort and can take a lot of credit for the high turnout

• Options
    Mr. kle4, my eyes go fuzzy sometimes with screen-staring. Hope it's not too bad. if it's painful, then you really should stop, and hopefully they'll be right tomorrow.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

That makes it all seem totally uncertain. Look forward to getting your post 10pm report. I have enjoyed your updates.
  • Options
    Do we have any idea who will make a victory / concession speech for BT? I assume Salmond will make one if it is Yes, but who will do it if it is No? Darling? Brown? Cameron?
  • Options

I think Stuart Dickson did let slip once that he has a property in Scotland. So, my guess is he has voted postally.

And talking of second home-owners, an acquaintance of mine took her teenage daughter out of school for the day, and they both drove 250 odd miles to vote in person.

Doesn't it have to be your first home to get a vote?
  • Options
    Matched bets on Betfair's main market now nudging £13.3 million.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I have been door knocking etc all day and have to emphasise that I do not have access to inside info only my own perceptions and some gossip. Anyone betting money on that does so at their own risk.

Having said that I think turnout will be higher than in a GE but 90%+ is ridiculous and will not happen unless Dundee is seriously atypical.

BT volunteers think they have won. Not by much but there is an air of confidence.

Labour think they have won Glasgow. The gap has definitely closed there but they are pretty confident it still exists.

David if the Union holds guys like you have done a cracking job.

We all owe you.
  • Options
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 55s

Turnout in Glasgow is going to be huge. At least 87% of postal votes have been cast in the council area.
  • Options
    numbertwelve,

"Doesn't it have to be your first home to get a vote?"

No idea.

How many second homes are there in Scotland ?
  • Options

Do we have any idea who will make a victory / concession speech for BT? I assume Salmond will make one if it is Yes, but who will do it if it is No? Darling? Brown? Cameron?

Darling I would say if NO lose. Them all if they win !
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

We all owe you.
    Agreed.
  • Options

Please be aware that if your acquaintance has just cast a vote based upon second-home ownership alone (ie. not normally resident in Scotland) then she has just broken the law.

Also be aware that the relevant officers are keeping a very close eye on known 2nd home property registrations.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,014
    Alanbrooke. What do you think my name is, Bob Wooster! I think it'll be NO. Just too many old folk
  • Options

AllyM said:

I think the biggest news in Aberdeen the last couple of days is that Bill Daniel the Union Street Piper died at the age of 41.

He was a fixture next to the statue of Edward VII and though his piping could sometimes be a little 'variable' he was a great local attraction.

RIP Bill.
    Absolutely. He was well known for being a 'not very good piper' but popular.

RIP Bill.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Howard said:

Alistair said:

Of course, sorry, quite so, up too early to vote (but not often), thanks. I was thinking of the way in which every vote counts - not like so many FPTP GEs.

how often did you vote ? ;-)
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237

AllyM said:

RIP Bill.
    I was in Aberdeen last week and only remarked to my sister that the piper by Edward VII (who had a traffic cone over his orb) was absolutely terrible. RIP.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I've just fallen in love with Alex Clare. And Fitz and the Tantrums.

I've spent most of the summer expanding my record collection. Just my own favourite tracks file stands at about 8Gb. Will look up Mr Frisell. Always up for a recommendation. I've got everything from Elizabethan lutes to Dolly Parton via Black Sabbath.

"Always listen to your favourite music" - I currently have Bill Frisell's "Intercontinentals" on the CD player. Awesome stuff. Few people can do music that appeals at once to head and heart, but Frisell is one of them.

• Options
    Yikes! 90% + turnout continues to tighten. Now 4.5
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

We all owe you.
    Well said.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,302

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

We all owe you.
    Amen.

• Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

We all owe you.
    Agreed.
    Of course if the nats just had the honesty to wear white bedsheets with eye slits I'd be backing them.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited September 2014
    Howard said:

Darling I would say if NO lose. Them all if they win !
    We will surely hear from Gordon Brown

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,047
    edited September 2014
    Anyone worried about losing money on Sindy betting?

All I hear on this blog is people making shed loads of money...
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited September 2014
    SeanT said:

Theory: the first place to get a real intimation of the results will be the currency markets. The government will have to anticipate a run on the £, and the BoE will need to pre-empt this with interventions.

This is so much more important than a GE, and with such vaster implications, the governments in London and Holyrood will presumably have a hotline to all returning officers, YouGov etc.

So if we start seeing sudden eerie volatility in sterling/dollar markets, for instance, that means that YES are probably going to win.

Well, it's a theory. It may need work.

What first attracted me to this site all those years ago was the idea that people who invested their own money on the out-come of an election were probably more likely to be correct than the pundits in the media. If the idea was ever sound (and I have had some nice wins courtesy of gents that used to post here) I think it has long gone. PB is still a fun place to hang out though, but perhaps slightly more eccentric that it once was.
  • Options

Please be aware that if your acquaintance has just cast a vote based upon second-home ownership alone (ie. not normally resident in Scotland) then she has just broken the law.

Also be aware that the relevant officers are keeping a very close eye on known 2nd home property registrations.
    I have never known law officers to prosecute for that.
  • Options
    I'll never forget the joke about nuns and Nazis...
    dr_spyn said:
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Howard said:

Alistair said:

Once!

• Options

Yikes! 90% + turnout continues to tighten. Now 4.5

so like fk all chance unless your pissed in a bookies.
  • Options
    Stuart,

I shall let you when and if my acquaintance is hauled off to jail.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,272
    Imagine if this happened in the US. MT @moyesy A polling station in Falkirk has already closed because it's had 100% turnout #indyref
  • Options
    SeanT said:

isam said:

Rock solid certainty.
    I agree with that. In a race this huge and tight and tense, there are bound to be results which spook the market and send it all over the place. FFS the rumour of a rumour of a poll can shift Betfair substantially.

YES is bound to trade under 4.5 at some point in the night. Of course if YES wins it will at some point crossover.
    Does trading stop at 10pm Sean?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Howard said:

Alistair said:

Once!

You really haven't got the hang of celtic voting.

I'll put you down as a NO :-)
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    BANG - and the #indyref vote bet is done-

Inspired by a mini-vacation in Royal Deeside Mr and Ms Briskin have gone for-

100 quid at evens (ish) at Yes 45 - 50

NO FOR THE WIN!!!!!!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Imagine if this happened in the US. MT @moyesy A polling station in Falkirk has already closed because it's had 100% turnout #indyref

Wrong country - North Korea
  • Options

SeanT said:

Theory: the first place to get a real intimation of the results will be the currency markets. The government will have to anticipate a run on the £, and the BoE will need to pre-empt this with interventions.

This is so much more important than a GE, and with such vaster implications, the governments in London and Holyrood will presumably have a hotline to all returning officers, YouGov etc.

So if we start seeing sudden eerie volatility in sterling/dollar markets, for instance, that means that YES are probably going to win.

Well, it's a theory. It may need work.

What first attracted me to this site all those years ago was the idea that people who invested their own money on the out-come of an election were probably more likely to be correct than the pundits in the media. If the idea was ever sound (and I have had some nice wins courtesy of gents that used to post here) I think it has long gone. PB is still a fun place to hang out though, but perhaps slightly more eccentric that it once was.
    in this election there are too many people from outside the relevant judisdiction voting, I guess?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Keep up Malcolm, that has been debunked hours ago. If you are going to troll, at least make sure you are up to speed.
  • Options
    You ole romantic!

Pong said:

This is awfully exciting, isn't it?

I remember asking my folks about the parties when I first became aware of such things.

They explained that the conservatives liked things the way they were. Life seemed pretty good to me so I backed the conservatives for that election. I was 9 and it was 1974.

In retrospect, things as they were was not great!
    It is heresy in some circles to admit that life was ever crap before 1979.
    Doing homework by candlelight during the three day week was rather fun as I recall.
    So was shagging!
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,047
    Still think turnout will be closer to 80% than 90%...
This discussion has been closed.