Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ComRes phone poll in South of Scotland are finds NO 67% to

124»

Comments

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Galloway scaring the bairns. Like the child snatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

I don't get BBC scotland, but ok I got the idea.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited September 2014
    Pong said:

Anecdote time - the Scottish referendum is truly a global phenomenon. Taxi driver from Nigeria yesterday - when we said we were from England, his first question was about the referendum. Next minute, David Cameron was on the radio pleading for a No.

(For the avoidance of doubt - I'm still in Canada - not Nigeria!)

YG: Y54, N46???

Yeah - I imagine the referendum has done great things for the global awareness of Scotland. You can't buy publicity like this. If I was visitscotland, or the whisky industry association etc, I'd be trying to milk it for all its worth.
    Which is certainly right. But what cost is this inflicting on Scotland's reputation in rUK? It sure isn't pretty from where I am sat and I fear a divided Scottish nation whatever the result.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    BanTheBBC ‏@BanTheBBC 49m
    MUST WATCH: Ultimate smackdown of BBC's @bbcnickrobinson by @AlexSalmond over #RBS price sensitive info. Amazing. http://youtu.be/rHmLb-RIbrM
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    What time is YouGov out? 10pm as usual?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Speedy said:

Galloway scaring the bairns. Like the child snatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Speedy said:

Its on BBC1 later in England, if you are that keen.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Fleeing the YES vote, Nessie the Loch Ness Monster arrives for a peaceful swim in Lake Windermere.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/11090807/Scottish-independence-now-Nessie-defects.html

English humour never dies.
  • Options

They seem reassuringly immune. In fact he seems a little scared of them.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    SeanT said:

Anecdote time - the Scottish referendum is truly a global phenomenon. Taxi driver from Nigeria yesterday - when we said we were from England, his first question was about the referendum. Next minute, David Cameron was on the radio pleading for a No.

"Rollercoaster" and "interesting" are the words being used.

It's difficult to conceive them marketing their own poll as 'boring' so I think we can disregard 'interesting.' It would be that whatever it shows.
    Rollercoaster probably on balance shows No back in the lead but not massively so.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    SeanT said:

Shall we make some predictions just to fill the time?

I reckon a straight tie: 50/50, DKs excluded.

Backing you up on this.
  • Options

It is something of a global story, particularly big in Canada and Spain.

Yes - Scotland is closely followed by Quebec in most conversations over here. There seems to be a general feeling that a Yes in Scotland would give a renewed impetus to the Quebec separatists. There is a GE next year, so will be interesting to see if BQ have a bounce.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Pong said:

Yeah - I imagine the referendum has done great things for the global awareness of Scotland. You can't buy publicity like this. If I was visitscotland, or the whisky industry association etc, I'd be trying to milk it for all its worth.
    What? All the spittle-fested hysteric bigots? Strikes me as a bad advert.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714
    edited September 2014
    Poll Alert

I have the figures, No ahead

It gave a four point lead to No, putting Scotland on course to reject independence by 52% to Yes 48% in the referendum in just six days' time.
  • Options

Yes - Scotland is closely followed by Quebec in most conversations over here. There seems to be a general feeling that a Yes in Scotland would give a renewed impetus to the Quebec separatists. There is a GE next year, so will be interesting to see if BQ have a bounce.
    You mean PQ...or the DIY outfit?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,170
    If we take tonites gbp/usd movement as a proxy for the poll, it's been gently rising since about 8pm:wfich would indicate a No lead. Let's see if this works...
  • Options
    And the market reacts
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Pong said:

If I owned a hotel, I'd board it up and throw the keys into a loch. Tourisms stuffed.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It gave a four point lead to No, putting Scotland on course to reject independence by 52% to Yes 48% in the referendum in just six days' time.

You're not joking, I trust?
    I would never do that, is from the Sun website.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    SeanT said:

You beauty. I'll take that. Sweet.

Trend moves away from Salmond.
    Camo takes one for the union and swings it back for No:))
  • Options
    Fieldwork was Tues to Thursday
  • Options

Poll Alert

As predicted earlier. Polishes nails :-)
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    I predict Yes on 49 exc don't knows
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    "BBC bans all talk of Scottish vote from the Proms" Telegraph.

Bruch's Scottish Fanatasia rearranged Alex Salmond.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Pong said:

Which is certainly right. But what cost is this inflicting on Scotland's reputation in rUK? It sure isn't pretty from where I am sat and I fear a divided Scottish nation whatever the result.
    VisitScotland are probably very nervous at the moment, because VisitBritain currently handles all the marketing to international inbound tourists, so VisitScotland have no facility for this. No overseas offices, marketing teams etc. Just another hidden consequence of separation.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead down two to four points: CON 31%, LAB 35%, LD 7%, UKIP 16%
  • Options
    alexalex Posts: 244
    So is the Scottish Sun going to have to come out for, er, "no" after all?
  • Options
    More polling figures

It emerged more than double the amount now believe going it alone will make them personally poorer than richer, by 45% to 21%.

Five days ago, the gap was far smaller at just 37% versus 23%.

Scots women in particular are taking flight of the independence dream, our survey also reveals.

Their support for independence has plummeted 5% from Sunday’s poll from 47% to down to 42%.

Scots men still just about back independence; by 54% to 46%.

In a personal blow for SNP boss Alex Salmond, his own trust ratings down 4% since Sunday – from 42% to 38%

And ex-Premier Gordon Brown’s trust ratings up 3% – from 32% to 35%

Scots’ trust in David Cameron and Ed Miliband have also crept up marginally too, but are still very low.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    No wonder the tories don't win seats in Scotland,every debate,they let the snp,labour,leftwing speakers ,bbc ,get away with propaganda that would frighten any voter to vote tory again.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

I predict Yes on 49 exc don't knows

I was close
  • Options
    Surprised Betfair has moved as much as it has.

I thought 48/52 was par for Betfair to remain unchanged.
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    That was the betting no-change score IMO.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

SeanT said:

You're not joking, I trust?
    I would never do that, is from the Sun website.
    Rupert Murdoch, you aren't singing now!

• Options
    Everyone go home, it's over. It's going to be NAW.
  • Options

BQ = Bloc Québécois
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Tom Newton Dunn @tnewtondunn · 36s
    EXCL: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Scots support for independence falls 6 points over economy fears; No 52%, Yes 48% http://bit.ly/sunscotpoll
  • Options
    @Sandy

Pardonnez moi, Sandy!
  • Options
    Markets take off - pound shoots up.
  • Options

Poll Alert

Scottish Banks not the only thing deserting Salmond – oh dear never mind.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Oops, maybe I should've checked the thread first :)
  • Options
    alexalex Posts: 244

More polling figures

It emerged more than double the amount now believe going it alone will make them personally poorer than richer, by 45% to 21%.

Five days ago, the gap was far smaller at just 37% versus 23%.

Scots women in particular are taking flight of the independence dream, our survey also reveals.

Their support for independence has plummeted 5% from Sunday’s poll from 47% to down to 42%.

Scots men still just about back independence; by 54% to 46%.

In a personal blow for SNP boss Alex Salmond, his own trust ratings down 4% since Sunday – from 42% to 38%

And ex-Premier Gordon Brown’s trust ratings up 3% – from 32% to 35%

Scots’ trust in David Cameron and Ed Miliband have also crept up marginally too, but are still very low.

I find the figures on richer/poorer quite astonishing in the context of near-dead heat polls. If the results are ultimately very close either way, will this referendum be nearly unprecedented for the number of people apparently voting against their own personally believed economic interests?

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SamCoatesTimes: YouGov #indyref "Yes" only ahead in one age group - 25 to 39 year olds. All others - inc 16 to 24 year olds - backing Scotland to remain

Genius Eck
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    I am surprised Better Together have not highlighted the division, bitterness and emnity sown in Scottish society by the SNP as a result of this referendum, they have poisoned relationships within Scotland and seek to do the same between Scotland and the rest of the UK.
  • Options
    Hah, I scooped The Sun, the Times and Rupert Murdoch.

How good am I
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Tom Newton Dunn @tnewtondunn · 36s
    EXCL: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Scots support for independence falls 6 points over economy fears; No 52%, Yes 48% http://bit.ly/sunscotpoll

Yes is actually down 3!!!!!
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    SeanT said:

And this poll is before most of the banks/supermarkets stuff. I think NO will now win this. Just.

I thought Cameron's speech was very good,didn't you. ;-)
  • Options

Sam Coates Times @SamCoatesTimes · 1m

YouGov #indyref "Yes" only ahead in one age group - 25 to 39 year olds. All others - inc 16 to 24 year olds - backing Scotland to remain

Salmond's women challenge: 42% of women are "Yes", down 5% since w/end. 49% think they would be worse off, up 10% since weekend
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    52 No to 48 Yes would be awful. Much, much too close. Years of strife ahead on both sides of the border.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    Let's have no complacency from BT.
  • Options

No wonder the tories don't win seats in Scotland,every debate,they let the snp,labour,leftwing speakers ,bbc ,get away with propaganda that would frighten any voter to vote tory again.

Scotland is the only place where the Tories will gain seats in 2015 though.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,105
    AndyJS said:

Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

Alistair said:

So I've just realised, with no exit polls there'll be no way for the morning papers to call it if the final polling is close. They'll have gone to print before even the first results are out won't they?

Not necessarily. If the first few results are all 10% more Yes or No than expected, it probably means the result will be fairly obvious.
    I'm probably showing my ignorance here but I was reading that Shetland/Orkney is expected to be on of the first to declare and that would be around 1:30am. Do papers go to press after that? Are my timings all to cock?
    On election night Orkney & Shetland usually take ages to declare. Funnily enough the Western Isles is often one of the first, something which always bemuses David Dimbleby.
    The Long Island is almost completely connected by road causeways now. O & S certainly aren't (except around part of Scapa Flow).

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,924
    LAB 346 CON 255 LD 21 Other 28

Ed is crap is PM inTonights YG
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Someone like Tom Harris must be so tempeted to do Alex Salmond hears that businesses don't back him.

But for those who like Downfall stuff, here's one from 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaHd3YJBhIE

• Options
    Tom Newton Dunn @tnewtondunn · 2m

...Opposition to independence strongest among young and old Scots. Over 60s: No 64%, Yes 36% http://bit.ly/sunscotpoll
  • Options
    Still, "Good For Yes", I suppose!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,170
    viewcode said:

If we take tonites gbp/usd movement as a proxy for the poll, it's been gently rising since about 8pm:wfich would indicate a No lead. Let's see if this works...

Fuck me, I was right!

OK, let's think. If we assume somebody, somewhere leaks a given poll and somebody, somewhere, then piles in to make an early killing, then that early killing should show up somewhere...like the exchange rate. So can we take changes in GBP/USD after 8pm as a proxy for a Scots Indy poll result at 10pm? A drop indicates a "Yes" lead, an increase indicates a "No" lead? Does this make sense, or am I reaching?

Conversely, can we just bug the ICM/YouGov offices? It shouldn't be too hard.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Salmond comes across as untrustworthy. His sidekick was also unimpressive.. To things they have no answer to are just dismissed as scaremongering.
  • Options

LAB 346 CON 255 LD 21 Other 28

Ed is crap is PM inTonights YG

I haven't been paying attention to GE polling at all for the past few days!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Nailed the market movement, went out to 5.5 as I predicted
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,105
    dodrade said:

I am surprised Better Together have not highlighted the division, bitterness and emnity sown in Scottish society by the SNP as a result of this referendum, they have poisoned relationships within Scotland and seek to do the same between Scotland and the rest of the UK.

I entirely agree about BT's nastiness. And that devomax nonsense too.

• Options

BQ = Bloc Québécois
    The BQ is the federal wing of the sovereigntist movement and cannot do much damamge in Ottawa. The provincial wing, the PQ fell from power in april, partly after raising the prospect of another referendum.
  • Options

How good am I

Naughty bugger.
  • Options
    Sun Politics @Sun_Politics · 11m

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead down two to four points: CON 31%, LAB 35%, LD 7%, UKIP 16%
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Surprised Betfair has moved as much as it has.

I thought 48/52 was par for Betfair to remain unchanged.

Did you see how much Betfair moved when Survation put out a poll that showed no change? YouGov put out a poll which shows Yes falling and the sky is the limit for where it ends out.
  • Options
    RobD said:

How good am I

Naughty bugger.
    In your face Rupert!
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited September 2014

isam said:

Grandiose said:

You might get a little more credit if you occasionally said: "Oops!" instead of religiously defending anything UKIP.
    "... anything up to £70billion"

Anyone who believes that figure needs serious education.

"If it turns out to be the White Elephant vanity project"

There is a real problem that needs solving. May I suggest you read the relevant documentation.

"Just a few cities"

The biggest cities in England.
    IIRC Isn't the 70 billion figure the Treasury figure that has been rationalised to include inflation over the period of the project and therefore is a reasonable estimate of the actual end cost at the end of the project?

There may be a real problem but turning the likes of Birmingham into a dormitory for London (which is primarily what HS1 has done for specific Kent towns) is not the answer to the problem that it is supposed to fix.

So on we go with the continual polarisation around a handful of increasingly unmanageable and relatively expensive urban centres where the quality of life is dubious to say the least when the Tories have expressed time and time again that they wish to re-balance the economy. Have they ever heard of dis-economies of scale?
    The HS2 costs were upped to 50 billion to include a political contingency and the real cost at 2012 date is likely to be half of that 70 billion. Only if political loonies ensure its built in 200 miles of tunnel would it cost £70 billion.

http://www.hs2.org.uk/about-hs2/facts-figures/route-trains-cost
    ''The total for the route is therefore £42.6 billion, including £14.4 billion of contingency.''

14 billion is a ridiculous contingency as part of 43 billion total. It is amazing how easy it is for someone to blather 70 billion when the actual baseline is 28.2 billion !!
    Well when you are an official spokesman who has been involved in the production of the figures I'll take you seriously but until then I'll treat you as the generally ill-tempered excessively animated disingenuous Tory mouthpiece that you are.......

• Options
    SeanT said:

YouGov #indyref "Yes" only ahead in one age group - 25 to 39 year olds. All others - inc 16 to 24 year olds - backing Scotland to remain

Salmond's women challenge: 42% of women are "Yes", down 5% since w/end. 49% think they would be worse off, up 10% since weekend

Well done on the scoop!! I then tweeted your stats, and now all my followers think I am a massive polling guru with enormous insider knowledge.

I've been on the Times website pressing refresh every 5 secs since about 8pm, was worth it.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    dodrade said:

For the first time today I overheard our accounts dept chattering about Scotland in the light of all the Indyref goings on. Suffice it to say Scotland is being damaged whatever. And this in deepest Gwent.
  • Options
    Labour though is having to tilt to the left in order to hang on to Scotland, could it hurt them in the Midlands and Southern England in May?
  • Options
    dodrade said:

Labour though is having to tilt to the left in order to hang on to Scotland, could it hurt them in the Midlands and Southern England in May?

I think they've pretty much given up on the South outside London. That's why they are playing the 35% strategy.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

I'm not sure where you live, Mr Llama, but according to the AA, a single-way car journey from Brighton to Leeds costs £77 at 30p per mile (fuel, insurance, depreciation etc). This means a return journey would be roughly the same as the train for two people.

Even on that basis I still come out ahead because I saved the taxi fares (there would have been six taxi trips in all). In pure cash costs (given that the insurance is paid whether I use the car or not and 500 miles is neither here nor there in terms of depreciation) the day cost me a tank of petrol plus a bit, say £60.

When I was working and, so charging my travel to someone else, I would never have dreamed of driving to Leeds. First class rail would have been the only option (return £391 per person). What are the fares going to be on this wonderful new railway and who is going to pay them. I very much fear that we will be spending tens of billions of taxpayers money to get a small number of businessmen to London a bit quicker.

If we don't build new railways the whole system will bung up.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    LOL
    taffys said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11090644/Scottish-independence-Glasgow-the-friendly-city-turns-demented.html

Labour MPs confronted by the working class voters they have been ignoring for all these years.

It looks a bit like Rourke's Drift....

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I thought I recognised your avatar! It's too small for me to see properly.

Only seen them once back in the 80s - are they still making records?
    RobC said:

RobC said:

Golly, I don't think I've seen PB covered in so much Scott surge since the SCons were back on the road to electoral recovery in 2010 (sic).

Too true I expect you Scots of whatever persuasion quite like the attention really. Hope you don't suffer from PND afterwards.
    You may have missed my point.
    Probably - that's why I have my avatar although I have a fondness for JT.
  • Options

Pong said:

If I owned a hotel, I'd board it up and throw the keys into a loch. Tourisms stuffed.

Pong said:

Whats a bit worrying is that only now when its almost too late are the businesses and supermarkets coming out with the truth - that their costs and prices will rise on independence. I think its worrying because they are reluctant to go public because of physical mand political mbacklash.

Meantime ... The treasury try to look after out (our!) financial stability and Salmond screams blue murder.
  • Options
    All very encouraging. Just completed a very satisfactory evening canvass in Moray. Truth be told, always going to be a good No area but it always nice to have people practically falling on you with gratitude for knocking on their door. The Yessers have the posters. We have the voters.
  • Options
    I see the BBC weatherman has just proudly reported the earliest snowfall in South Dakota for over 100 years without a trace of irony.

The locals are calling it 'Snowtember'.
  • Options

isam said:

Grandiose said:

You might get a little more credit if you occasionally said: "Oops!" instead of religiously defending anything UKIP.

There is a real problem that needs solving. May I suggest you read the relevant documentation.

"Just a few cities"

IIRC Isn't the 70 billion figure the Treasury figure that has been rationalised to include inflation over the period of the project and therefore is a reasonable estimate of the actual end cost at the end of the project?

There may be a real problem but turning the likes of Birmingham into a dormitory for London (which is primarily what HS1 has done for specific Kent towns) is not the answer to the problem that it is supposed to fix.

So on we go with the continual polarisation around a handful of increasingly unmanageable and relatively expensive urban centres where the quality of life is dubious to say the least when the Tories have expressed time and time again that they wish to re-balance the economy. Have they ever heard of dis-economies of scale?
    The HS2 costs were upped to 50 billion to include a political contingency and the real cost at 2012 date is likely to be half of that 70 billion. Only if political loonies ensure its built in 200 miles of tunnel would it cost £70 billion.

''The total for the route is therefore £42.6 billion, including £14.4 billion of contingency.''

14 billion is a ridiculous contingency as part of 43 billion total. It is amazing how easy it is for someone to blather 70 billion when the actual baseline is 28.2 billion !!
    Well when you are an official spokesman who has been involved in the production of the figures I'll take you seriously but until then I'll treat you as the generally ill-tempered excessively animated disingenuous Tory mouthpiece that you are.......

You know nothing of me - just invention like the 70 billion figure.
    Read the facts
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,804

isam said:

Grandiose said:

Tonight is the open primary in Clacton.

Andrew Sinclair ‏@andrewpolitics 20m
    Around 200 people are at tonight's conservative primary. Around 75% non party members

Andrew Sinclair ‏@andrewpolitics 15m
    Ukip have a van outside the clacton primary which declares thst HS2 "won't help the north east" Do they know where they are?

My Lord, if that's true then it proves that the UKIP leadership are not loonies, but 100% certifiably insane.
    They're using the same van they had for the a South Shields by election and haven't had a re spray by the look of it... Hardly a biggie

"Just a few cities"

51% contingency compares quite well with the 2012 Olympics budget, which IIRC had 3 levels of contingencies totalling 64% of the actual estimated costs.
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    Plato said:

I thought I recognised your avatar! It's too small for me to see properly.

Only seen them once back in the 80s - are they still making records?

RobC said:

RobC said:

Golly, I don't think I've seen PB covered in so much Scott surge since the SCons were back on the road to electoral recovery in 2010 (sic).

Too true I expect you Scots of whatever persuasion quite like the attention really. Hope you don't suffer from PND afterwards.
    You may have missed my point.
    Probably - that's why I have my avatar although I have a fondness for JT.
    Off and on though it's mostly Ian Anderson on his own now.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    Just out of interest how do you see all the betfair trades and prices?
  • Options
    Hi all, just out of interest, how do you see the latest Betfair trades?
  • Options

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Its on BBC1 later in England, if you are that keen.

It's on BBC news
  • Options
    YES - 48% (-3)
    NO - 52% (+3)
  • Options
    YES - 48% (-3)
    NO - 52% (+3)
  • Options

SeanT said:

And it's gone already!

Hectic market.

It is astonishing, look at the matched bets for the following markets

Next GE most seats 437k

Next GE overall winner 270k

Indy ref winner £6.1million
    well that's a turnip for the books.
    I'd be interested to know what the outstanding Net positions are on a user by user basis. I've trade about 9 times my current exposure.
  • Options

SeanT said:

And it's gone already!

Hectic market.

It is astonishing, look at the matched bets for the following markets

Next GE most seats 437k

Next GE overall winner 270k

Indy ref winner £6.1million
    well that's a turnip for the books.
    I'd be interested to know what the outstanding Net positions are on a user by user basis. I've trade about 9 times my current exposure.
This discussion has been closed.