Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ComRes phone poll in South of Scotland are finds NO 67% to

Comments

• Options
    alexalex Posts: 244
    Don't exit polls (especially in a "simple" election like a yes/no referendum) play an important role in detecting the possibility of electoral fraud in the ballot/counting process? Complicated of course by postal votes, but possibly the principle stands none the less.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @jessbrammar: "ppl frightened to speak,frightened to put posters up,I don't think ppl want to live in a country like that" - Darling on #newsnight tonight

Rein in the Brownshirts Alex, they are not helping your cause.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    There's £20,000 waiting at No 1.24 (currently 1.27)
  • Options
    bazzbazz Posts: 16
    Do we know the time period of fieldwork for tonight's Yougov?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,128
    (FPT)
    Just been talking with a close relative who, although not a Scottish resident, has a daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren who are.
    Although sympathetic to SNP ... son-in-law is usually an SNP voter......., they can't stand Salmond. And don't believe him, either.

So will, apparently vote NO.

Somewhat to my surprise from what they have said earlier!

And no, they're not in the Borders!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Alistair said:

So I've just realised, with no exit polls there'll be no way for the morning papers to call it if the final polling is close. They'll have gone to print before even the first results are out won't they?

Not necessarily. If the first few results are all 10% more Yes or No than expected, it probably means the result will be fairly obvious.
  • Options
    BP, John Lewis, B&Q owner Kingfisher, Asda, Next, Lloyds TSB, RBS, Standard Life and the Weir Group have all issued statements outlining to the Scots what the fallout will be should they choose independence next week. Banking headquarters will move, clothing and food prices could rise.

“Every PR and public affairs director is telling chief executives not to do it, but this is important, this is a personal leadership question,” said one chief executive who warned on the risks of independence this week. “To not speak out is an abrogation of responsibility.”

Another senior executive who has also aired his views on next week’s referendum said he has resisted until now because of the “aggression of the Yes campaign”. He decided this week that the Scots needed a better understanding of the risks that come with a Yes vote.
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/1fa509c2-39c8-11e4-8aa2-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz3D2QJlat4
  • Options
    alex said:

Don't exit polls (especially in a "simple" election like a yes/no referendum) play an important role in detecting the possibility of electoral fraud in the ballot/counting process? Complicated of course by postal votes, but possibly the principle stands none the less.

That hadn't occurred to me before, but it's a good point.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@jessbrammar: "ppl frightened to speak,frightened to put posters up,I don't think ppl want to live in a country like that" - Darling on #newsnight tonight

I don't think he can any more. He could avoid having them cheerlead when he's having a press conference though.

• Options
    BTW how do they KNOW that 97% of all eligible voters have registered? How do the authorities know who is eligible until they have registered. Or is the "97%" just the number of people registered divided by the estimated Scottish population (based on census data etc).

Could this figure in fact just indicate that population estimates in Scotland are too low?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Scott_P said:

That is the right approach from a social point of view.
    Does the scottish public want to live in a totalitarian SNP state? (and there is plenty of evidence that it will be a totalitarian state)
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    alex said:

BTW how do they KNOW that 97% of all eligible voters have registered? How do the authorities know who is eligible until they have registered. Or is the "97%" just the number of people registered divided by the estimated Scottish population (based on census data etc).

Could this figure in fact just indicate that population estimates in Scotland are too low?

Yup
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited September 2014

IIRC Isn't the 70 billion figure the Treasury figure that has been rationalised to include inflation over the period of the project and therefore is a reasonable estimate of the actual end cost at the end of the project?

There may be a real problem but turning the likes of Birmingham into a dormitory for London (which is primarily what HS1 has done for specific Kent towns) is not the answer to the problem that it is supposed to fix.

So on we go with the continual polarisation around a handful of increasingly unmanageable and relatively expensive urban centres where the quality of life is dubious to say the least the Tories have expressed time and time again that they wish to re-balance the economy. Have they ever heard of dis-economies of scale?

The £70bn figure is *alleged* to be a treasury figure, as told be someone to someone. But you never measure projects in such a manner; it's not the way it is done. So every alternative project would also have to be calculated in that manner for comparison.

In addition, it is widely believed to have been plucked out of someone's backside.

Cities and towns outside the main HS2 routes benefit from having 'traditional' trains join them at places like Crewe, and running high-speed down to London.

Your arguments are ones of non-progress. Would you have been against the GWR in the early 1830s?
    All in favour of nice railways, but who can afford to travel on them? I had to go to Leeds a week or so back, even booking in advance and on fixed trains, so no flexibility, the cheapest I could get was £72 return, as there would be two of us that made it £144 plus taxi journeys. I drove, the journey took about the same length of time (even with the M25 being its usual bastard self) and was more tiring, but a lot cheaper.

I am sure HS2 will be wonderful, for the few people who can afford it.

• Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    @AndyJS Thanks Andy. I tried something, probably a bit less sophisticated, using the 1997 result, 2011 councils and some census data. Have you seen our market on the top YES % council area?
    http://politicalbookie.wordpress.com/2014/09/11/indyref-betting-markets-swing-strongly-back-for-no/
  • Options
    Tory candidate for Clacton selected by 240 people attending an open primary.

It's 1988 BBC Personality of the Year, Giles Watling:

https://mobile.twitter.com/g15ssy
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Alistair said:

So I've just realised, with no exit polls there'll be no way for the morning papers to call it if the final polling is close. They'll have gone to print before even the first results are out won't they?

Not necessarily. If the first few results are all 10% more Yes or No than expected, it probably means the result will be fairly obvious.
    I'm probably showing my ignorance here but I was reading that Shetland/Orkney is expected to be on of the first to declare and that would be around 1:30am. Do papers go to press after that? Are my timings all to cock?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Does the scottish public want to live in a totalitarian SNP state? (and there is plenty of evidence that it will be a totalitarian state)

@journodave: Screaming the N word and calling people traitors on the streets of Glasgow, is this what our #indyref has become? http://t.co/UULuGMobKj
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Does the scottish public want to live in a totalitarian SNP state?

Neither is oil any guarantee of prosperity - as Venezuela shows.
  • Options
    AllyMAllyM Posts: 260
    I've taken next Friday off work. An all nighter I'd wager.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Giles Watling has 175 Twitter followers. Carswell has 22.3K.
  • Options

I don't think he can any more. He could avoid having them cheerlead when he's having a press conference though.

Maybe we could make it easier if all the No voters wore an identifying mark on their clothing; a yellow star, or something...
  • Options
    AllyM said:

Ditto
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    After reading the news over the last few days it seems everyone is bluffing (apart from the SNP)

Everyone is scaremongering and it really will be the land of milk and honey as promised by the SNP.

oh, and Salmond takes a bunch of cheerleaders to his press conferences and the BBC is out to get him.

Missed anything?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,533
    edited September 2014
    Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

The damage has been done - whatever the result, the fall-out from the increasingly bitter campaign will take some time to work itself out. We're not quite at the different coloured kerbstones stage but whoever the winner is had better be super-generous and all-embracing if serious long-term societal damage is to be avoided.
  • Options
    Pong said:

alex said:

Yup
    Perhaps the Scottish Parliament should draw on this in a bid for increased funding! ;)

Of course it could just be a temporary boost based on hundreds of thousands of emigrant Scots finding a reason to return home long enough to register/vote in the referendum (ie. to parents/relatives etc). An interesting dynamic if they are largely biased towards one camp. (and possibly wouldn't be picked up in polling).

• Options
    Golly, I don't think I've seen PB covered in so much Scott surge since the SCons were back on the road to electoral recovery in 2010 (sic).
  • Options
    Floater said:

Missed anything?

Project Fear is being run by David Cameron personally. I kid you not...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Alistair said:

AndyJS said:

Alistair said:

I'm probably showing my ignorance here but I was reading that Shetland/Orkney is expected to be on of the first to declare and that would be around 1:30am. Do papers go to press after that? Are my timings all to cock?
    On election night Orkney & Shetland usually take ages to declare. Funnily enough the Western Isles is often one of the first, something which always bemuses David Dimbleby.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Oh god. This sounds bad for NO. Or maybe I am being paranoid!

@tnewtondunn 1m
    It's been a rollercoaster week - but it's not over yet. Stay tuned for our latest @YouGov poll on how Scots will vote; here, at 10pm.

I read it as meaning that Yes has plummeted as dramatically as it has rocketed but a week is still a long time in politics.
    I am now a pathetic heap of gin-deprived nerves, but I read it as: the week began well for YES, but then swang back to NO (Survation, all the bank stuff) so this means it's swung AGAIN towards YES. A rollercoaster.

But I really DO need that bloody gin.
    Well, as someone who has given us good wine tips on the past, what is your gin recommendation? I have been enjoying Sipsmith and Fever Tree, and Tom Collins made with Haymans Old Tom. Recently bought a bottle of Martin Miller's, first impression is that it is more elegant and smooth tasting than Sipsmith whicji has a lot of in-your-face fruity Juniper.

Call me a europhile; but I am rather fond of oude Genever. Not when working the next day though!
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398

Golly, I don't think I've seen PB covered in so much Scott surge since the SCons were back on the road to electoral recovery in 2010 (sic).

Too true I expect you Scots of whatever persuasion quite like the attention really. Hope you don't suffer from PND afterwards.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Speedy said:

@journodave: Screaming the N word and calling people traitors on the streets of Glasgow, is this what our #indyref has become? http://t.co/UULuGMobKj
    Yes it has.

Its all about Salmond trying to become supreme ruler of scotland, he will stop at nothing to achieve it.
    A vote for YES is a vote for a reign of terror over scotland, where the people will be suppressed by the SNP totalitarian regime.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

We're not quite at the different coloured kerbstones stage

Do keep up.

http://tinyurl.com/mpnp3dr
  • Options
    @Peston: Justin King also warns of poss damage to Scotland's food industry once shoppers in rest of UK no longer see its produce as from same country
  • Options
    Come on the Frinton Bread man.... Let's send Carswell off the end of the political pier!
  • Options
    RobC said:

Too true I expect you Scots of whatever persuasion quite like the attention really. Hope you don't suffer from PND afterwards.
    You may have missed my point.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

@tnewtondunn 1m
    It's been a rollercoaster week - but it's not over yet. Stay tuned for our latest @YouGov poll on how Scots will vote; here, at 10pm.

I read it as meaning that Yes has plummeted as dramatically as it has rocketed but a week is still a long time in politics.
    I am now a pathetic heap of gin-deprived nerves, but I read it as: the week began well for YES, but then swang back to NO (Survation, all the bank stuff) so this means it's swung AGAIN towards YES. A rollercoaster.

Well, as someone who has given us good wine tips on the past, what is your gin recommendation? I have been enjoying Sipsmith and Fever Tree, and Tom Collins made with Haymans Old Tom. Recently bought a bottle of Martin Miller's, first impression is that it is more elegant and smooth tasting than Sipsmith whicji has a lot of in-your-face fruity Juniper.

Call me a europhile; but I am rather fond of oude Genever. Not when working the next day though!
    Plymouth Gin is worth a try likewise the Naval Strength. Won a bottle of Hayman's Gin recently, was impressed with it.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

BP, John Lewis, B&Q owner Kingfisher, Asda, Next, Lloyds TSB, RBS, Standard Life and the Weir Group have all issued statements outlining to the Scots what the fallout will be should they choose independence next week. Banking headquarters will move, clothing and food prices could rise.

“Every PR and public affairs director is telling chief executives not to do it, but this is important, this is a personal leadership question,” said one chief executive who warned on the risks of independence this week. “To not speak out is an abrogation of responsibility.”

Another senior executive who has also aired his views on next week’s referendum said he has resisted until now because of the “aggression of the Yes campaign”. He decided this week that the Scots needed a better understanding of the risks that come with a Yes vote.
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/1fa509c2-39c8-11e4-8aa2-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz3D2QJlat4

But, of course it won't matter how much anything costs, according to the Dear Leader we will be awash with money and everyone is scaremongering! People are actually believing his spiel and it's scary.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Floater said:

Missed anything?

Project Fear is being run by David Cameron personally. I kid you not...
    Are MI5 skiving again? Lazy blighters! Will have to get the Duke of Edinburgh to have a word in their shell like...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I've just noticed this postscript on UKPR :

"There isn’t an official BBC/ITV exit poll for the referendum – these days you only get them for general elections."

Shame on them ..... bloody penny-pinchers!

I'm sure somebody will do one. The publicity alone would make it worth the outlay.

Meanwhile, I have an image of Alex Salmond in Bute House, staring at his mobile. Waiting for the booty call from Uncle Rupert.
    Nope, it costs a lot of money, and takes a lot of planning, which can't be done in the last week.
    But do you know Sky aren't doing one? It seems an obvious move, as it would strengthen their claim to equality with the BBC - hey look, we did what the so-called national broadcaster didn't do.

And if they had an exit poll they would then grab all the indyref viewers from the off. "Tune in for our exit poll, coming soon".

Millions would switch, and wait.

Their advertisers would love it. I'd be quite surprised if Sky News - who do not lack money - haven't thought about it.

It may not just be the broadcasters; the polling companies themselves put their reputations on the line when they do an exit poll. Perhaps they declined a late offer because they didn't have sufficient time to develop a robust methodology for a one-off, close vote. Nothing would undermine them more than calling it one way, only for the vote to then go the other - even if the actual gap were a handful of percentage points. It wasn't just the pre-election polls that were wrong in 1992; the exit poll also predicted a hung parliament.

The pollsters have little track record to work off to ensure a representative sample. Indeed, this is one reason I'm not that convinced by the current polls - I do wonder to what extent the narrowing of the range of the published polls has to do with the sort of methodological clustering we saw in 1992. It may be that they are all correct (near enough), but there is safety in numbers even if they're not, whereas to be out on a limb is an exposed and potentially uncomfortable position when no-one can be too sure in advance. Publishing an exit poll just produces the same problem in spades.
  • Options
    Cameron on independence:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQPEMf3j6AY
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,533

TOPPING said:

Do keep up.

"...smashing green traffic lights..."

what hope is there for humanity?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Oh, I forgot to mention that the resident grumpy old bloke has raided the cooking sherry again - yes you Malc ;-)
  • Options
    AllyM said:

I'm working the night shift

• Options
    dr_spyn said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

@tnewtondunn 1m

Plymouth Gin is worth a try likewise the Naval Strength. Won a bottle of Hayman's Gin recently, was impressed with it.

Malawi gin is also very good, I always bring back a bottle when I visit.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I'm calling it now ... for Dewey.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited September 2014
    AndyJS said:

and you are one of them!!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    http://www.thelawyer.com/news/top-scottish-firm-shifts-cash-to-english-banks-ahead-of-referendum/3025551.article

A leading Scottish firm with offices north and south of the border has shifted its cash out of Scottish banks for fear that a vote in favour of independence could lead to a run on them.

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    alex said:

Remember this? http://order-order.com/2010/04/29/exclusive-kerry-mccarthy-illegal-postal-votes-tweets/
  • Options

IIRC Isn't the 70 billion figure the Treasury figure that has been rationalised to include inflation over the period of the project and therefore is a reasonable estimate of the actual end cost at the end of the project?

There may be a real problem but turning the likes of Birmingham into a dormitory for London (which is primarily what HS1 has done for specific Kent towns) is not the answer to the problem that it is supposed to fix.

So on we go with the continual polarisation around a handful of increasingly unmanageable and relatively expensive urban centres where the quality of life is dubious to say the least the Tories have expressed time and time again that they wish to re-balance the economy. Have they ever heard of dis-economies of scale?

The £70bn figure is *alleged* to be a treasury figure, as told be someone to someone. But you never measure projects in such a manner; it's not the way it is done. So every alternative project would also have to be calculated in that manner for comparison.

In addition, it is widely believed to have been plucked out of someone's backside.

Cities and towns outside the main HS2 routes benefit from having 'traditional' trains join them at places like Crewe, and running high-speed down to London.

Your arguments are ones of non-progress. Would you have been against the GWR in the early 1830s?
    All in favour of nice railways, but who can afford to travel on them? I had to go to Leeds a week or so back, even booking in advance and on fixed trains, so no flexibility, the cheapest I could get was £72 return, as there would be two of us that made it £144 plus taxi journeys. I drove, the journey took about the same length of time (even with the M25 being its usual bastard self) and was more tiring, but a lot cheaper.

I'm not sure where you live, Mr Llama, but according to the AA, a single-way car journey from Brighton to Leeds costs £77 at 30p per mile (fuel, insurance, depreciation etc). This means a return journey would be roughly the same as the train for two people.
  • Options

RobC said:

You may have missed my point.
    Probably - that's why I have my avatar although I have a fondness for JT.
  • Options
    This is a really interesting video:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11090937/Word-on-the-street-are-women-more-likely-to-vote-No-on-Scottish-independence.html

The woman with the toddler who wants the boom mike. Claims to be undecided, yet certain to vote, and when asked why more women back 'No', says because they research more and they're smarter. So a clear no, but doesn't feel she can acknowledge it to a camera. I believe there are a lot like her.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Galloway's got a hat!!!

I'm away to watch the 16 y/o debate.

But I was just thinking-

Y'know how everyone's all (with regards to #indyref) - I just want to know the facts, I just want to know the facts.

Isn't that a bit like speaking to a prospective girlfriend and saying "I want to go out with you - But I just want to know the facts - I just want to know the facts"
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

alex said:

Remember this? http://order-order.com/2010/04/29/exclusive-kerry-mccarthy-illegal-postal-votes-tweets/
    I know quite a few PB regulars (and journalists) raised a few eyebrows. Pity she got off with a caution.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11090644/Scottish-independence-Glasgow-the-friendly-city-turns-demented.html

Labour MPs confronted by the working class voters they have been ignoring for all these years.

It looks a bit like Rourke's Drift....
  • Options
    Some votes must have been cast by 15 year olds, because I assume if you turn 16 on September 18th you can still vote in advance by post if you so choose.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited September 2014
    Floater said:

After reading the news over the last few days it seems everyone is bluffing (apart from the SNP)

Everyone is scaremongering and it really will be the land of milk and honey as promised by the SNP.

oh, and Salmond takes a bunch of cheerleaders to his press conferences and the BBC is out to get him.

Missed anything?

Yes. It's totally untrue that the only bank left will be the bottle bank. :-)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Peston: Justin King also warns of poss damage to Scotland's food industry once shoppers in rest of UK no longer see its produce as from same country

I proposed banning Scottish delicacies from the house, but the good lady did not approve and quickly convinced me otherwise. - Walkers shortbread stayed on the shopping list...
  • Options
    They're all in Blazers!!!

Silly Yessnp.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    JBriskin said:

Galloway's got a hat!!!

But I was just thinking-

Y'know how everyone's all (with regards to #indyref) - I just want to know the facts, I just want to know the facts.

Isn't that a bit like speaking to a prospective girlfriend and saying "I want to go out with you - But I just want to know the facts - I just want to know the facts"

No - it's like divorcing your wife/husband.
  • Options
    I think it might be called big, big debate because it's in a F-ing stadium.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

and you are one of them!!
    I'm following both of them, for information purposes only.
  • Options

FF42 said:

Good to know that Kim Jong Eck is being backed by his North Korean namesake as one supreme leader to another

If the poll is to be believed could we be looking at the start of the campaign for the partitioning of Scotland with British separatists in the border counties demanding to remain with the Union (after all why should an independent Scotland retain its UK regional border?). That would then leave Kim Jong Eck master of 'North Scotland'?
    Nay, Nay, and a thousand times Nay. As every true Scot knows, it's "Sal Mond Eck"
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

TOPPING said:

Do keep up.

Good for the patriotic girls.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I've had this thought a few times, but for the PB record-

Scot tory leader - Lesbo - good idea? - really?
  • Options
    taffys said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11090644/Scottish-independence-Glasgow-the-friendly-city-turns-demented.html

Labour MPs confronted by the working class voters they have been ignoring for all these years.

" Without further ado, the yell-off commenced. "NO! NO! NO!" "YES! YES! YES!" "NO! NO! NO!"
    "TRAITORRRRRS!"

Frantically the Yes man started pointing at a tiny scratch on his arm. "Look at this!" he screamed, eyes bulging. "This is the truth of the No campaign! VIOLENCE!" Brilliantly, he had an English accent.

Chant, chant, chant, chant. The noise was relentless. This was a shopping precinct on a Thursday lunchtime, but it might as well have been Saturday afternoon at Ibrox or Parkhead. "SCOTLAND SAYS NO!"
    "SCOTLAND SAYS YES!" "SCOTLAND SAYS NO!" "SCOTLAND SAYS YES!" "

What are the odds for a civil war in scotland?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Any odds offered on cross over?
    AndyJS said:

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Speedy said:

taffys said:

" Without further ado, the yell-off commenced. "NO! NO! NO!" "YES! YES! YES!" "NO! NO! NO!"
    "TRAITORRRRRS!"

Frantically the Yes man started pointing at a tiny scratch on his arm. "Look at this!" he screamed, eyes bulging. "This is the truth of the No campaign! VIOLENCE!" Brilliantly, he had an English accent.

Chant, chant, chant, chant. The noise was relentless. This was a shopping precinct on a Thursday lunchtime, but it might as well have been Saturday afternoon at Ibrox or Parkhead. "SCOTLAND SAYS NO!"
    "SCOTLAND SAYS YES!" "SCOTLAND SAYS NO!" "SCOTLAND SAYS YES!" "

What are the odds for a civil war in scotland?
    Bad feeling will boil away for years after this.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

JBriskin said:

Galloway's got a hat!!!

But I was just thinking-

No - it's like divorcing your wife/husband.
    "I would divorce you - but I just want to know the facts - I just want to know the facts" ??

Nah- My metaphor's better.

• Options

I'm not sure where you live, Mr Llama, but according to the AA, a single-way car journey from Brighton to Leeds costs £77 at 30p per mile (fuel, insurance, depreciation etc). This means a return journey would be roughly the same as the train for two people.
    If that is the best argument you can put forward in defense of HS2 then no wonder the public are skeptical.
  • Options
    Maybe somewhere like Jim Murphy's East Renfrewshire will be first to declare. Wealthy area and likely to vote No by a fairly clear margin. Relatively small population.
  • Options

Even on that basis I still come out ahead because I saved the taxi fares (there would have been six taxi trips in all). In pure cash costs (given that the insurance is paid whether I use the car or not and 500 miles is neither here nor there in terms of depreciation) the day cost me a tank of petrol plus a bit, say £60.

When I was working and, so charging my travel to someone else, I would never have dreamed of driving to Leeds. First class rail would have been the only option (return £391 per person). What are the fares going to be on this wonderful new railway and who is going to pay them. I very much fear that we will be spending tens of billions of taxpayers money to get a small number of businessmen to London a bit quicker.

• Options
    Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

Speedy said:

Yes it has.

Its all about Salmond trying to become supreme ruler of scotland, he will stop at nothing to achieve it.
    A vote for YES is a vote for a reign of terror over scotland, where the people will be suppressed by the SNP totalitarian regime.
    Never, do our police carry guns when on normal duties? Er! Yes, 284 just now, of them anyway. Funnily enough without it being discussed at local, regional or Holyrood level.

Are some in the SNP so virulently Anti-English that they would put the zylon-b into the showers to eliminate the "problem" ? Er! Yes, and do it for free.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    PJ Media ‏@PJMedia_com 2m
    Obama White House Refuses to Define Victory Over ISIS, Makes a Joke Out of It All http://bit.ly/1xPEOQF #tcot

The Mysteries of Obamas Foreign policy. Or has he really got one?
  • Options

If that is the best argument you can put forward in defense of HS2 then no wonder the public are skeptical.
    It's not an argument for HS2; it was a reply to Mr Llama about why I'm surprised that the journey he mentioned was a lot cheaper. Although I might have his starting location wrong.

I'm up to defend HS2 if you come up with half-intelligent arguments against; I've done it before, even against things like the IEA's hilariously poor £80bn cost claim. Although others on here may scream: "NO!"

;-)
  • Options
    MikeK said:

PJ Media ‏@PJMedia_com 2m
    Obama White House Refuses to Define Victory Over ISIS, Makes a Joke Out of It All http://bit.ly/1xPEOQF #tcot

The Mysteries of Obamas Foreign policy. Or has he really got one?

America never had one, apart from kicking the russians.
  • Options
    I'm guessing all those bleating about Galloway's non-existent BBC ban are a wee bit regretful now.
  • Options
    Definitely a peak blazer win - but as it's utilising 16 y/o's, we shall, certainly given the current climate, do as you would expect of people of our fine upstandingness and not shout about it.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    SeanT said:

Shall we make some predictions just to fill the time?

I reckon a straight tie: 50/50, DKs excluded.

52 no 48 yes
  • Options
    Patrick Greenie "Scotland really needs control of it's own finances" - Greens and finance - Lol.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited September 2014
    SeanT said:

Shall we make some predictions just to fill the time?

I reckon a straight tie: 50/50, DKs excluded.

N53 Y47

(Which would generate masses of guff, hand-wringing or celebration but which would be entirely within MoE.)
  • Options
    Nigel once again nails the central truth of this referendum: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11087302/Scots-wont-get-independence-from-a-Yes-vote.html

Scots won't get independence from a yes vote. Simple, plain, and devastatingly true.

'A Scotland outside the UK, but in the EU, can no more have its own trade, agriculture, fisheries, immigration, environment or justice policies than any other EU member.'

I don't really set much store by big businesses (though them leaving will bring pain), if Scotland was truly on the path to becoming an independent, low tax, small state, politically neutral, outward looking, staunchly democratic country. Because I don't believe you can really keep hard working well educated determined people down when taxation is light -the market would buoy them up again. However that isn't Scotland now, and that certainly isn't where the EU is going.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited September 2014
    Fleeing the YES vote, Nessie the Loch Ness Monster arrives for a peaceful swim in Lake Windermere.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/11090807/Scottish-independence-now-Nessie-defects.html
  • Options
    FFS, has it not leaked yet?
  • Options
    Who gets the job of handing the Dear Leader the papers...

@FT: Just published: front page of the Financial Times UK edition Fri Sep 12 http://t.co/mwoIbcgTma
  • Options

Nigel once again nails the central truth of this referendum: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11087302/Scots-wont-get-independence-from-a-Yes-vote.html

Scots won't get independence from a yes vote. Simple, plain, and devastatingly true.

'A Scotland outside the UK, but in the EU, can no more have its own trade, agriculture, fisheries, immigration, environment or justice policies than any other EU member.'

I don't really set much store by big businesses (though them leaving will bring pain), if Scotland was truly on the path to becoming an independent, low tax, small state, politically neutral, outward looking, staunchly democratic country. Because I don't believe you can really keep hard working well educated determined people down when taxation is light -the market would buoy them up again. However that isn't Scotland now, and that certainly isn't where the EU is going.

Sorry to quote myself, but check out the 'I'm voting No' Scottish Labour woman on the left hand side -she's holding a 'Yes' poster behind the 'No' one so it looks like she's a yes to the people behind her! hahahaha
  • Options
    Anecdote time - the Scottish referendum is truly a global phenomenon. Taxi driver from Nigeria yesterday - when we said we were from England, his first question was about the referendum. Next minute, David Cameron was on the radio pleading for a No.

(For the avoidance of doubt - I'm still in Canada - not Nigeria!)

YG: Y54, N46???
  • Options
    Galloway scaring the bairns. Like the child snatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
  • Options
    @OliverCooper: Ah, glad to see the Yes campaign's sums are based on such established accounting terms as 'Lots' and 'Lots and lots and lots'. #BigBigDebate
  • Options
    Kid: "All the oil money was spent on the miner's strike"

Silly Yessnp.
  • Options
    My guess Y49 N51 .
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Scott_P said:

Who gets the job of handing the Dear Leader the papers...

@FT: Just published: front page of the Financial Times UK edition Fri Sep 12 http://t.co/mwoIbcgTma

Steiner...
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Anecdote time - the Scottish referendum is truly a global phenomenon. Taxi driver from Nigeria yesterday - when we said we were from England, his first question was about the referendum. Next minute, David Cameron was on the radio pleading for a No.

Yeah - I imagine the referendum has done great things for the global awareness of Scotland. You can't buy publicity like this. If I was visitscotland, or the whisky industry association etc, I'd be trying to milk it for all its worth.
  • Options

I'm up to defend HS2 if you come up with half-intelligent arguments against; I've done it before ...
    And you did it jolly well, and very entertainingly too, Mr. Jessop.

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

isam said:

Grandiose said:

Tonight is the open primary in Clacton.

Andrew Sinclair ‏@andrewpolitics 20m
    Around 200 people are at tonight's conservative primary. Around 75% non party members

Andrew Sinclair ‏@andrewpolitics 15m
    Ukip have a van outside the clacton primary which declares thst HS2 "won't help the north east" Do they know where they are?

My Lord, if that's true then it proves that the UKIP leadership are not loonies, but 100% certifiably insane.
    They're using the same van they had for the a South Shields by election and haven't had a re spray by the look of it... Hardly a biggie

You might get a little more credit if you occasionally said: "Oops!" instead of religiously defending anything UKIP.
    "... anything up to £70billion"

Anyone who believes that figure needs serious education.

"If it turns out to be the White Elephant vanity project"

There is a real problem that needs solving. May I suggest you read the relevant documentation.

"Just a few cities"

The biggest cities in England.

So on we go with the continual polarisation around a handful of increasingly unmanageable and relatively expensive urban centres where the quality of life is dubious to say the least when the Tories have expressed time and time again that they wish to re-balance the economy. Have they ever heard of dis-economies of scale?
    The HS2 costs were upped to 50 billion to include a political contingency and the real cost at 2012 date is likely to be half of that 70 billion. Only if political loonies ensure its built in 200 miles of tunnel would it cost £70 billion.

http://www.hs2.org.uk/about-hs2/facts-figures/route-trains-cost
    ''The total for the route is therefore £42.6 billion, including £14.4 billion of contingency.''

14 billion is a ridiculous contingency as part of 43 billion total. It is amazing how easy it is for someone to blather 70 billion when the actual baseline is 28.2 billion !!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited September 2014
    I heard Salmond on PM on R4 this eve about 10 to 6. I think he comes under the category.. " Would you buy a used car from this man?

The answer is a categorical NO. He wouldn't know the truth if it slapped him in the face. Duplicitousness all the way thro the interview.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Strangely little interest here in the East Midlands. The only patient to speak of it was a longstanding Scottish patient of mine. She thought her 87 year old auntie would have a stroke if Yes won.

I suppose peaceful seperations are rather rare in the world, so may be a bit of novelty value in Nigeria.

• Options

It is something of a global story, particularly big in Canada and Spain.

This discussion has been closed.