Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ComRes phone poll in South of Scotland are finds NO 67% to

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited September 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ComRes phone poll in South of Scotland are finds NO 67% to YES 33%

New ComRes IndyRef poll for @ITVBorder of South of Scotland finds NO 67% YES 33%

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First?
  • Options
    Border Scots. Quel peuple magnifique!
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Have they polled this before? Change on last?
  • Options
    F1: nice video of Coulthard and Vettel around the Sochi track:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29094820

I'll be checking the odds on a safety car. Narrow, high speed, not much run off, and the track seems a bit slippery (not uncommon with new surfaces).
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Pretty much fits in with my prediction by area.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/txcTnTqEF6hmKvzevjiZyZw/htmlview#gid=0

(I need to increase the electorate slightly to fit in with today's announcement that 4.3 million are registered to vote).
  • Options
    What is the point of this poll? (Unless we have a nationwide comparison)
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Jackie Bird was pretty grumpy at the 1830 yesterday wasn't she??

I can't believe sky sent poor Faisal to Edinburgh though - all the Azn's are in weegie land aren't they???

Please ignore me - I'm just waiting for my 1900 RT Programme.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited September 2014

Because it's interesting and informative. Once you start on Salmond's road of division , grudge and grievance, you're on a highway to hell.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    This ranks as the most useless opinion poll in history.
    If you are doing an opinion poll on an election or referendum were the outcome is determined on a certain area, then you should poll the whole area not just a small fraction of it.
  • Options
    ...obviously not real Scots..traitorous scum
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Cameron should annexe the Borders Putin style to protect these people.

Add on Shetland and Morningside and that leaves Eck with the Castlemilk to Dundee corridor ;)
  • Options
    South of Scotland - is that the new word for England?
  • Options

Because it's interesting and informative. Once you start on Salmond's road of division , grudge and grievance, you're on a highway to hell.
    Speedy said:

If you are doing an opinion poll on an election or referendum were the outcome is determined on a certain area, then you should poll the whole area not just a small fraction of it.

@Moniker - informative in what way?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Speedy said:

Au contraire - the settled will of the Borders is to stay in the Uk. Indy Scotland just got smaller.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

There may be other candidates for the crown but I admit I can't think of one off the top of my head.
  • Options
    BoabBoab Posts: 13
    It's not even the South of Scotland, it's the tiny proportion (around 5%) of Scotland that get ITV Border.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Numerous.

• Options

Quite. It's a bit like just polling malcolmg.

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Extrapolating from 1997 suggests a clear 'NO' nationally...
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Quite. It's a bit like just polling malcolmg.

Lol. I can imagine how twitter rumours of such a poll might shift the markets.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,318
    When is the last day that polls will be allowed?
  • Options

Speedy said:

Numerous.

Such as?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Cameron should annexe the Borders Putin style to protect these people.

Add on Shetland and Morningside and that leaves Eck with the Castlemilk to Dundee corridor ;)

That would make completing the Donalds considerably easier.
  • Options
    We're getting a fresh Scottish thread at 1830.

If only Team OGH could always be so kind to us poor PB Scots residing in Scotland.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Numerous.

Such as?
    Read the header.

• Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Speedy said:

In that it highlights how divided Scotland will be regardless of the final result. Dickheads, examples of which can be seen on here, will be unable to just accept the result. There are going to be real issues come next Friday.
  • Options
    Boab said:

It's not even the South of Scotland, it's the tiny proportion (around 5%) of Scotland that get ITV Border.

The voodoo poll of Scottish mothers run by Mumsnet was the hot contender for the crown of worst Scottish poll, but this one has stolen the wooden spoon from its mouth.
  • Options
    [There are going to be real issues come next Friday.]

Next Friday?? There's been at the very least 6 months of Full Retard in the Demos. Election day ain't going to change that.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Numerous.

Such as?
    Read the header.

The header that merely states the poll numbers?
    Tomorrow: a YouGov poll of Richard Navabi's back garden sees Tories in lead.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Twitter is afire with allegations that Galloway compared either Yes voters or the SNP to Nazi's. Galloway strongly and categorically denies. Unfortunately no live feed of the debate, just the edited version the BBC will put out tonight.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Surely the point of this poll is that the area in question has been poorly surveyed previously by other polls? The numbers of people are less than the population of the Central Belt but it cannot be disregarded - not with divisions of 60 / 70 / 80%.

As I see it, this poll destroys the view that the Yes/No is 50/50. The danger is that it may relax voters in the NO camp into a complacency that things are not as bad as they thought and so there is less urgency to vote.

• Options
    Miss C, not a Scot, but I think it'd take multiple polls showing a massive No lead for any relaxation to possibly occur. I think both sides will turn out in force. Should make polling beforehand quite tricky given perhaps a quarter of those voting won't have bothered even at the last General Election.
  • Options
    BoabBoab Posts: 13

Surely the point of this poll is that the area in question has been poorly surveyed previously by other polls? The numbers of people are less than the population of the Central Belt but it cannot be disregarded - not with divisions of 60 / 70 / 80%.

As I see it, this poll destroys the view that the Yes/No is 50/50. The danger is that it may relax voters in the NO camp into a complacency that things are not as bad as they thought and so there is less urgency to vote.

They have ran this poll twice previously....

They had it....

71/31
    70/30

• Options
    JBriskin said:

Next Friday?? There's been at the very least 6 months of Full Retard in the Demos. Election day ain't going to change that.

Yes it is. Friday will be day one of the great scapegoat. If it's a narrow no, who will get the blame? If it's a narrow yes, do you really think the no campaigners will just shut up and meekly follow the great leader?
  • Options
    Nobody lives in the Borders, Bev. Best to embrace OGH's trolling - and maximise your heel post count.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    SeanT said:

saddened said:

Speedy said:

In that it highlights how divided Scotland will be regardless of the final result. Dickheads, examples of which can be seen on here, will be unable to just accept the result. There are going to be real issues come next Friday.
    Yes. This poll is a recipe for the Partition of Scotland, let alone GB. Whatever happens there will be irreconcilables who will continue the fight, perhaps literally.

A catastrophic mistake by Cameron not to allow Devomax,
    Not really. As we can now see, Devomax would be wholly unacceptable to the other countries in the Union. It's in the bin.

• Options
    "Au contraire - the settled will of the Borders is to stay in the Uk. Indy Scotland just got smaller. "

This confirms my view, TGOFH, that in the event of a Yes vote, we can use the Putin Gambit and go rescue our Unionist brethren in The Borders. No?
  • Options
    @Bev

Some people are so bad at maths that your last point may actually have something in it.
  • Options

Miss C, not a Scot, but I think it'd take multiple polls showing a massive No lead for any relaxation to possibly occur. I think both sides will turn out in force. Should make polling beforehand quite tricky given perhaps a quarter of those voting won't have bothered even at the last General Election.

I will not argue the point MD, I will just point out that in any series of things there has to be a first one.

;-)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    How many indyref polls are we expecting tonight?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    saddened said:

JBriskin said:

Yes it is. Friday will be day one of the great scapegoat. If it's a narrow no, who will get the blame? If it's a narrow yes, do you really think the no campaigners will just shut up and meekly follow the great leader?
    I think we're talking slightly at cross purposes - I'm saying the issues are already there. If anything a yes vote will give hundred of thousands of people something actually constructive to work on.

• Options
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

Two, I believe. YouGov and ICM.
    Oooh, ICM. Gold standard for referenda.. Hopefully good for team union.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    "Brass plating" the financial institutions in the event of a "Yes" will not be enough,there will be huge resentment from rUK ,and a rush away from all things Scottish by those South of the border.
    Yes I know,I am a stupid ignorant southern jessie turnip,but I for one will be reorganising my affairs in the event of a "Yes",and I am not alone.
    I hope for a "No",but will deal with a "Yes".
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Tonight is the open primary in Clacton.

Andrew Sinclair ‏@andrewpolitics 20m
    Around 200 people are at tonight's conservative primary. Around 75% non party members

Andrew Sinclair ‏@andrewpolitics 15m
    Ukip have a van outside the clacton primary which declares thst HS2 "won't help the north east" Do they know where they are?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

saddened said:

Speedy said:

Yes. This poll is a recipe for the Partition of Scotland, let alone GB. Whatever happens there will be irreconcilables who will continue the fight, perhaps literally.

A catastrophic mistake by Cameron not to allow Devomax, which was then exploited by the devious, amoral, entirely mendacious Alex Salmond.
    LOL. You might as well poll the most Welsh speaking village in North West Snowdonia and decree that the Welsh union is held together by blu tack.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited September 2014
    A catastrophic mistake by Cameron not to allow Devomax

The Devomax sums do not add up. A bunch of scots voting themselves benefits they can't afford and the english won;t pay.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    SeanT said:

RobD said:

If they're both No the Yes campaign is in trouble IMO. There's no point in having "momentum" if you're stuck in second place.
  • Options
    Miss C, fair enough. Aren't we due the next poll (Scotland-wide) in a few hours?
  • Options
    The Borders is very sparsely populated - I should know, I was at school there for a few years - but, still, this is encouraging.

Rod; what numbers does your national extrapolation churn out off the back of this?
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    SeanT said:

saddened said:

Speedy said:

A catastrophic mistake by Cameron not to allow Devomax, which was then exploited by the devious, amoral, entirely mendacious Alex Salmond.
    This is a poll about 'do you want to be independent and stand on your own two feet' not a poll on 'do you want more power and more free money from England'. Right from the outset there has been more devolution on offer. But that affects the English as well.

As for the Borders poll. Malcolmg may be happy to be condesending on numbers, but land are counts too (its the land which makes up the country after all) and it would hardly help a newly independent Scotland if the greater part of the land area voted No with just a narrow central belt voting Yes.
  • Options
    RobD said:

This bad boy from ComRes not enough for you Rob?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Can someone who knows about Scottish politics explain something to me? I've heard that Aberdeenshire is expected to be one of the most heavily anti-independence areas, and indeed it was one of the most against devolution in the 1997 referendum. But isn't that the SNP's heartland of heartlands?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Nationalism frequently ends in division, poison and tears. Salmond appeals to emotions, things like love, hate, jealousy, greed. Nationalism often tends to be a selfish movement, narrow minded and intolerant.

Salmond is hoodwinking people into thinking patriotism is the same as nationalism. They are not, one is benign, the other, which he espouses is a cancerous growth devouring reason to feed it's passion.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

Around 200 people are at tonight's conservative primary. Around 75% non party members

Ukip have a van outside the clacton primary which declares thst HS2 "won't help the north east" Do they know where they are?

My Lord, if that's true then it proves that the UKIP leadership are not loonies, but 100% certifiably insane.
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

saddened said:

JBriskin said:

. If anything a yes vote will give hundred of thousands of people something actually constructive to work on.

True it will give the no camp the opportunity to start their we told you so campaign. Let's face it Salmond promising a unicorn for every voter is going to rapidly come unstuck when it meets reality head on. The idea that everybody is going to come together behind the great leader in a mass outpouring of emotion is laughable.
  • Options
    @Andy

Agree. And the fact Murdoch hasnt leak
    AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

If they're both No the Yes campaign is in trouble IMO. There's no point in having "momentum" if you're stuck in second place.
    @Andy. Agree and the fact Murdoch hasn't leaked the poll is a good omen IMO.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

Yes. 1951
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

Grandiose said:

My Lord, if that's true then it proves that the UKIP leadership are not loonies, but 100% certifiably insane.
    For those not in the East, Andrew Sinclair is BBC Look East's political correspondent.
  • Options
    "Scottish independence: voting intention across Scotland mapped
    Voting intention data mapped across Scotland shows that the race remains too close to call"

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/sep/11/scottish-independence-voting-intention-across-scotland-mapped
  • Options
    There's a YouGov poll indyref being released tonight.

And a ICM phone poll for the #indyref out tomorrow (for the Guardian)
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

North East Essex
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    saddened said:

JBriskin said:

saddened said:

JBriskin said:

. If anything a yes vote will give hundred of thousands of people something actually constructive to work on.

True it will give the no camp the opportunity to start their we told you so campaign. Let's face it Salmond promising a unicorn for every voter is going to rapidly come unstuck when it meets reality head on. The idea that everybody is going to come together behind the great leader in a mass outpouring of emotion is laughable.
    I was initially arguing that it's a mess now - and it will be a mess then (post next Friday)

Congratulations - you have inspired my inner devils advocate.

I honestly don't think it can get much worse than now - things can only get better. If it's a yes then obviously people won't be going all pro-eck all of a sudden. But at least it will give them some economic/high politic ideology to work on - rather than - well whatever the F is happening now.

• Options
    You will be delighted to know, I'm home now, and constantly refreshing the times website every 4 secs to see this Indyref poll
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Can someone who knows about Scottish politics explain something to me? I've heard that Aberdeenshire is expected to be one of the most heavily anti-independence areas, and indeed it was one of the most against devolution in the 1997 referendum. But isn't that the SNP's heartland of heartlands?

A lot of people in Scotland vote for the party best placed to beat the Tories. In Aberdeenshire that's often been the SNP. It doesn't necessarily mean they're pro-independence.
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    I'm at London bridge now. Parts of the station still open and some trains runining, so probably nothing too serious.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Easteross my apologies for the delayed response, but thank you for your erudite response about Mrs T. Great and informative anecdotes about her involvement in Scottish affairs.

I do think the Conservative Party's passion for unionism, well this type of unionism, is an illogical weakness.
  • Options
    It's possible the result on the day will end up very close to the long-term polling average: something like 58-42 NO/YES on an 80% turnout.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

If they're both No the Yes campaign is in trouble IMO.
    And vice versa, maybe....

However the enormous registration numbers mean we can't take anything for granted until the 19th. This vote is sui generis. Very difficult to poll.

One poll this year has put Yes ahead. If the number remains at one it seems like a no-brainer to me that No will win.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

But that means ICM should be on the Guardian website before midnight.
    No, the fieldwork will finish tonight, they will publish it on their website tomorrow, for publication for the Saturday print edition.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Danny565 said:

From my experience on the ground, so to speak - it's mainly just anti-labour. Sorry, commenting on a website like this I should maybe know more - but I don't.

• Options
    Boab said:

They have ran this poll twice previously....

They had it....

71/31
    70/30

Aha!

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

But it does got that swing, even if a bit MOEishly.

Fieldwork 3-9 Sept and the previous polls were June and January.

• Options
    SeanT said:

London Bridge Station evacuated.... just now according to C4....

and it is 9/11

I'm deep in the suburbs now Sean but it's a bomb scare according to Twitter. Some nutter wailing threats too apparently
  • Options
    On topic

ComRes @ComResPolls · 1h

New @ITVBorder poll sees 3% swing to Yes in southern Scotland since June http://www.comres.co.uk/poll/1257/itv-border-referendum-poll.htm … #indyref
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    Alistair said:

Twitter is afire with allegations that Galloway compared either Yes voters or the SNP to Nazi's. Galloway strongly and categorically denies. Unfortunately no live feed of the debate, just the edited version the BBC will put out tonight.

I got the impression it was Mr G telling the youngsters they'd be speaking German if the UK had ben divided durng WW2 or something. Which is not, of course, the same as equating Yes voters to the Germans, or the SNP to the NSDAP. But whatever it was, it did not go down well. His performance evidently did not satisfy and he was metaphorically told to away and drink his milk (or so I suppose, rather than eat his cereal*).

*Refers to Patronising BT Lady TV ad, for those who don't know.

• Options
    SeanT said:

London Bridge Station evacuated.... just now according to C4....

and it is 9/11

History shows that London Bridge Station is always beiung evacuated. Amazingly in the midst of all this and to unexpected indefference, Oscar Pistorius has been found Not Guilty of murder.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited September 2014
    Danny565 said:

Aberdonians fear and loathe central belt dominance above all else. Their opinion of Glaswegians isn't high.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

But that means ICM should be on the Guardian website before midnight.
    No, the fieldwork will finish tonight, they will publish it on their website tomorrow, for publication for the Saturday print edition.
    Ah. OK. Ta.

So just one poll tonight. YouGov. What time does that normally emerge? Whenever Rupert is woken up for his milky tea and biscuit?
    Last time it was on the Times website at 8.30pm, but I expect we'll have something by 10pm
  • Options
    My bestie is here so time for Retail Therapy.

Byeeee!!!!!!!
  • Options

@Andy

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

He could be busy.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

A lot of people in Scotland vote for the party best placed to beat the Tories. In Aberdeenshire that's often been the SNP. It doesn't necessarily mean they're pro-independence.
    Quite. A caveat, though - that's much more for the FPTP system at Westminster, not the Holyrood system.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931

Grandiose said:

They're using the same van they had for the a South Shields by election and haven't had a re spray by the look of it... Hardly a biggie
  • Options

On topic

ComRes @ComResPolls · 1h

New @ITVBorder poll sees 3% swing to Yes in southern Scotland since June http://www.comres.co.uk/poll/1257/itv-border-referendum-poll.htm … #indyref

In the breathless excitement of yesterday's news the voodoo pollsters emerge from the shadows.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

Isn't it more the case that Aberdeen is the richest part of Scotland (oil), so they often vote for the "Tartan Tories" - the SNP - to keep out Labour?

However when it comes to indy we know the middle classes are firmly NO, including Aberdeen.
    Being on the ground, so to speak - I feel the need to add to this with my (as ever, all over the place, understanding)

Aberdeen Shire - Is choocheterville, therefore Anti-labour, Therefore SNP (Salmond), Tory or Lib Dem.

Aberdeen - Labour

I have faith that the fabulous North East of Scotland will vote No!!!!

• Options

On topic

ComRes @ComResPolls · 1h

In the breathless excitement of yesterday's news the voodoo pollsters emerge from the shadows.
    ComRes aren't a voodoo pollster
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited September 2014

@Andy

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

He could be busy.
    Whispering sweet nothings to his best pal Eck.

Does anyone know what Mick Pork thinks of this cosy relationship?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

I am from Aberdeen and my dad was a Lib Dem councillor briefly. This is a wealthy and very independently minded place that distrusts Edinburgh as much as Westminster. It is pro royal due to Braemar, pro the army and mostly rural. In Aberdeen there are some really grim housing estates. Many more than you would expect. No this is not SNP heartland but will have some pockets of SNP strength. This is the kind of place which does not take arrogance or half truths well.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

On topic

ComRes @ComResPolls · 1h

Indeed they aren't. I was referring to, and quoting from, the second reference: the ITV Border poll which is just a gigantic pile of poo.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Danny565 said:

Yeah, you get that from the polls where they break down Y/N for supporters of each party.
  • Options

On topic

ComRes @ComResPolls · 1h

Indeed they aren't. I was referring to, and quoting from, the ITV Border poll which is just a gigantic pile of poo.
    It isn't, it is properly weighted for the region, has a proper sample size.
  • Options
    From the Betfair money people are expecting bad news for Yes from the Poll
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

@Andy

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

He could be busy.
    Whispering sweet nothings to his best pal Eck.

Does anyone know what Mick Pork thinks of this cosy relationship?
    He's closing his eyes and thinking of Scotland.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BethRigby: EXCL: M&S poised to go over parapet. Marc Bolland to sign joint letter from retailers warning on rising costs if Scotland votes Yes #scotref

Bluffing Tipping Point
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    So why doesnt the Foreign Secretary know what Govt policy re air strikes in Syria is?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

And it's gone already!

Hectic market.

Quite often it looks like it is withdrawn rather than taken. Lots of (big) money seems to be appearing and disappearing above and below the current price.
  • Options
    Almost everywhere south of Edinburgh and Glasgow is likely to vote No, with one or two exceptions. Kilmarnock might be one.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,831
    AndyJS said:

Pretty much fits in with my prediction by area.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/txcTnTqEF6hmKvzevjiZyZw/htmlview#gid=0

(I need to increase the electorate slightly to fit in with today's announcement that 4.3 million are registered to vote).

I note with interest your predictions concerning the Scottish referendum. You may be interested to know that a young statistician (not me, obviously) from Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland gave a presentation last week in the RSS Conference on predicting it: he came up with similar figures to yours, incidentally. The link to the presentation is here (https://rss.conference-services.net/programme.asp?conferenceID=4023&action=prog_list&session=29966 ) but you will have to google hm further if you want the details.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873

You will be delighted to know, I'm home now, and constantly refreshing the times website every 4 secs to see this Indyref poll

You typed the above in less than 4 secs?

Or are you multi tasking?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

And it's gone already!

Hectic market.

It is astonishing, look at the matched bets for the following markets

Next GE most seats 437k

Next GE overall winner 270k

Indy ref winner £6.1million
  • Options
    In 1987 the SNP lost both of its longstanding MPs to Labour but picked up 3 seats from the Tories in the north-east. The 32 year-old Salmond was one of them in Banff & Buchan.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

SeanT said:

And it's gone already!

Hectic market.

It is astonishing, look at the matched bets for the following markets

Next GE most seats 437k

Next GE overall winner 270k

Indy ref winner £6.1million
    well that's a turnip for the books.
This discussion has been closed.