Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At last..a non-internet Scottish IndyRef poll

Comments

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited September 2014

Speedy said:

There wont be any negotiation, Spain and Italy will force the EU to be very hostile towards scotland. Together with england they will do everything they can to cutoff scotland from the rest of the world.
    Be it trade, be it finance, be it movement of people, you name it, they'll ban it.

Spain certainly won't. They are very keen on fish.

Both sides have been talking arrant nonsense on the question of the EU. Of course Salmond's nonsense was the more ridiculous of the two - the idea that Scotland would suddenly automatically become a member of the EU was completely laughable. On the other side, the suggestion that Scotland would be locked out of access to EU markets is, in practice, scarcely less silly.

The question is, not whether an independent Scotland could eventually become a full EU member, but on what terms and in what timescale. You are right that there is a political issue in respect of Spain in particular, and that is likely to delay things, possibly for some years. But in the meantime there would certainly be some interim agreement to allow trade (and fishing!) to continue with as little disruption as possible.
    Spain wont touch scotland even with a fishing pole, due to one word "Catalonia".
    If scotland gets in the EU or even if it survives as a state it will be a huge precedent for the dissolution of Spain and Italy.

The very existence of Spain and Italy depends on scotland failing as an independent country.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Neil said:

Interesting to compare the experiences of Ireland. I believe John Bruton has said that from 1922 to 1978 interest rates were determined in London without any Irish input, and they went up and down with the fortunes of whatever suited the British economy as decided by people in Britain. Ireland used sterling from 1922 to 1927, but then started running its own currency at 1:1 parity with Sterling. Neither made any difference to that fundamental point.

That's what a currency union without any political union means.

Isnt the point that the Free State and successor states never had a currency union with the UK? So that's not what a currency union means.

(Of course Ireland went from being in the Sterling sphere to the DM sphere in 1978 and rejecting a currency union could well see Scotland making a similar journey in the future. It's hard to see how that would benefit the rest of the UK.)

Nope. There was a currency union (sterling) from '22 to '27. From then on until 1978 every Irish pound was backed by a deposit in the BoE in sterling or of British government bonds.
    No - the Free State used Sterling in the early years. That was not a currency union.

Then the Free State fixed it's exchange rate to Sterling. Again, not a currency union.
    You seem to be missing the point.
    Was the point that you dont know what a currency union is?
    The point is that monetary policy was determined in London for decades without any representation or input from Eire, which is the substance of the debate occurring over Scottish independence right now. I posted a citation from a former Taoiseach making this precise point.

But you know this. It's not a debate you wish to engage with, so you're arguing about semantics instead.
  • Options
    We're not getting the Guardian ICM poll today, or this week at all

I asked Tom Clark of the Guardian if we were getting it today and he said

Tom Clark ‏@guardian_clark 1m

@TSEofPB def not today – and not this week at all

• Options
    SeanT

Know your history. Luxembourg had a currency union with Belgium yet was still independent.

As a union makes sense for England only an idiot would refuse it post a Yes vote.

It's called cutting your nose off to spite your face.

And I am a No supporter.
  • Options

Will they have one before the referendum at all?
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Speedy said:

FPT:

Roger said:

I met someone this morning who told me that as Scotland were not likely to be accepted immediately (if at all) into the EU it would be compulsory according to EU rules to have a closed border between Scotland and England.

As I'm sure this will have been examined on these threads ad nauseam can someone answer this smart arse conundrum?

Not true.
    pr hand....
    The EU would have every interest to kick an independent scotland in its balls, lest some others get ideas (catalonia, venice ect).

The above is just a horrible response from Nick, someone who I usually have a lot of time for. As a leftie I am furious that Labour has been so complacent, absolutely disgusted at the lies being peddled by the SNP and flabbergasted at the credulous self-indulgence of the yes supporting leftie commentariat in Scotland, whose naïve posturing about the rebirth of social democracy is aiding nationalists create a new international border as a precursor to years of terrible austerity for the Scottish people and a good deal of worry down south too. It's self-harming nihilism the likes of which I think is unprecedented in recent British (world?) history. Nick you should be fuming. Labour has played a central part in letting down the Scottish and British people, so leading to this forthcoming separation that will only cause pain for all involved. A consolation, I guess, is that the divorce will force the left in England and Wales to take a long, hard look at itself and finally to engage with this century. But the break-up of the UK is not a price worth paying for that.
    You

Sadly, I fear that you are right. But Nick should care as a leftie, even if he does not give a monkeys about the UK. Millions of people are about to have their standards of living severely cut and all on the back of nationalist snake oil and lies. He should be absolutely fuming and sick to the pit of his guts.

Yes, it's his economic illiteracy that bewilders me. Even if you can accept his non-patriotic shrug at the end of Britain (which I find repellent, but it is not intrinsically immoral) he should surely be alive to the mortal economic dangers of a YES vote. Everyone in Britain will suffer, especially - as ever - the poor. As a lefty that should have him tearing his hair out.

Yet not.

Like all true Leftie denizens he wouldn't deign to rub shoulders with the proles. They are only useful as something to bash the Tories with.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,094
    SeanT said:

Yes, it's his economic illiteracy that bewilders me. Even if you can accept his non-patriotic shrug at the end of Britain (which I find repellent, but it is not intrinsically immoral) he should surely be alive to the mortal economic dangers of a YES vote. Everyone in Britain will suffer, especially - as ever - the poor. As a lefty that should have him tearing his hair out.

Yet not.

I'm not actually that concerned about the economic illiteracy of Nick. Considering the economic illiteracy of Alec Salmond (who has a degree in economics and worked within it until entering politics)..
  • Options
    HanDodges said:

SeanT

Know your history. Luxembourg had a currency union with Belgium yet was still independent.

As a union makes sense for England only an idiot would refuse it post a Yes vote.

And I am a No supporter.

As a union doesn't make sence for England only an idiot would accept it post Yes vote.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Patrick said:

SeanT said:

Speedy said:

FPT:

Roger said:

I met someone this morning who told me that as Scotland were not likely to be accepted immediately (if at all) into the EU it would be compulsory according to EU rules to have a closed border between Scotland and England.

As I'm sure this will have been examined on these threads ad nauseam can someone answer this smart arse conundrum?

Not true.
    panic mode. But I can live with either a Yes or a No. I'm mildly concerned, so are my leftie friends, and clearly it's good that the party is trying to persuade supporters to vote no. But it's not a potential calamity - that's just the media selling papers with their usual arm-waving. It's a matter for the Scots - we'd be sorry to lose them, both as Brits and as lefties, but it's really up to them. And if you talked to the average English voter, you'd find that's I suspect a fudge could be reached. Getting out of VAT on food and the other UK exemptions on the other hand....
    The EU would have every interest to kick an independent scotland in its balls, lest some others get ideas (catalonia, venice ect).
    It will come down to negotiation - a few of which the Scots may get (non-Shengen may be among them), many which it will not - the UK rebate and exemptions (eg VAT on food) it is unlikely to.

The FUK will also suffer, of course.
    Actually I'm beginning to think it will not. As reality bites in the Jockanese Kingdom of Bankruptopia there will be a flight of capital, jobs, investment and wealthier individuals to the south. There's a real risk IMHO that the horror of what they just did could see Scotland getting hollowed out and England inadvertently getting the cream. It would be a tragedy of epic propotions for Scotland but if this happens and iScot goes all Venezuela while England sucks all the wealth out then who should the newly impoverished Scots look to for blame or succour? I'm sure it will somehow end being Maggie's fault. Or Edward Longshanks'.

We may end up with a tartan Albania for a neighbour.
    Some enterprising 'yes' campaigner should copy and paste some of the more entertaining posts from today's thread and turn it into campaign material.
    We're currently trying to keep Katie Hopkins as our benchmark of xenophobic idiocy at the mo. Let's not over egg the pudding.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Will they have one before the referendum at all?
    Maybe. I can understand wanting to have a poll post the referendum.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Easterross

Last week driving from Inverness to Oban it was Yes winning 7:3 on posters,plus a Yes stall in Fort William town centre.

But zero posters on Mull & Iona !

Shy NOs, like shy Tories doncha know - they like to keep their windows intact.
  • Options
    HanDodges said:

SeanT

And I am a No supporter.

Belgium is about 20x larger in population than Luxembourg. That being said the union lasted (and arguably still does via the Euro) from the 1920s. Note, however, although Belgian money in Lux was happily accepted, this was not the case the other way round.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HanDodges said:

SeanT

As a union doesn't make sence for England only an idiot would accept it post Yes vote.

Enter REd...
  • Options

No money to pay for a poll?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    edited September 2014
    If the Scots end up getting done over by Brussels and consequently must pay 20% VAT on their pies, then I suspect that would even break Alex Salmond's desire for independence.

Hadrian's Wall would be rebuilt with a Greggs every 100 yards.....
  • Options
    Speedy said:

HanDodges said:

SeanT

And I am a No supporter.

Surely whether it makes sense or not no longer matters. The Finance ministers and shadows of two major parties have said they won't allow it. Can you imagine the total loss of face to Ed Balls and Osborne if they go back on their word. Neither of these men are known for their humility :-)
  • Options
    This TNS poll is likely to be next to useless as an indicator if the fieldwork is old.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,105

Speedy said:

HanDodges said:

SeanT

And I am a No supporter.

Surely whether it makes sense or not no longer matters. The Finance ministers and shadows of two major parties have said they won't allow it. Can you imagine the total loss of face to Ed Balls and Osborne if they go back on their word. Neither of these men are known for their humility :-)
    But (almost) everyone here seems to say Mr O would have to go post a Yes vote, and that Labour won't be elected.

Puzzled!

• Options
    Lord Ashcroft @LordAshcroft · 1m
    Ashcroft National Poll, 5-7 September: CON 28%, LAB 35%, LDEM 8%, UKIP 18%, GRN 6%. Full details on @ConHome, 4pm.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @tombradby: Exclusive; Westminster offer to Scotland will be the power to raise income tax to increase welfare spending.

@tombradby: Westminster will set a minimum welfare spend, Scotland will have the power to tax more and spend more to, say, axe the so-called bedroom tax
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Looking at the Ashcroft poll it reminds me of my prediction I did earlier in the year of 38, 28, 18, 8.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Easterross, has your postal vote arrived yet?

Mr. Dodges, why should England et al. want a currency union with Scotland?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Speedy said:

HanDodges said:

SeanT

And I am a No supporter.

But (almost) everyone here seems to say Mr O would have to go post a Yes vote, and that Labour won't be elected.

Puzzled!

Can't see Mr O going if 'Yes'. Cameron will resist like a limpet, but he'll have to go. Doesn't mean O goes - he could even become leader, although personally I think Hague will suddenly find politics interesting again and step into the breach. Stability in the markets will be the story...keep a steady hand etc etc.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,714
    edited September 2014

This TNS poll is likely to be next to useless as an indicator if the fieldwork is old.

I know the fieldwork was still taking place middle of last week, what I don't know is when it began.

Edit apologies for marking your comment as Off-topic, went for the reply button and hit off topic, #fatfingers
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Ashcroft National Poll, 5-7 September: CON 28%, LAB 35%, LDEM 8%, UKIP 18%, GRN 6%. Full details on @ConHome, 4pm.

Back to the drawing board for Dave & Co.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@tombradby: Exclusive; Westminster offer to Scotland will be the power to raise income tax to increase welfare spending.

@tombradby: Westminster will set a minimum welfare spend, Scotland will have the power to tax more and spend more to, say, axe the so-called bedroom tax

That has Osborne's fingerprints all over it... it's a good move.
  • Options
    @iainmartin1: The Cameron would have to resign after a Yes vote thing falls apart when you ask who takes over. Miliband? Osborne? Who then?
  • Options

No money to pay for a poll?
    They have money, I think they are timing it to get the most bang for their buck
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Errh? The Scots can already raise income tax levels, by as much as 3p I believe.

Mind you, this is the main parties admitting that 'Devo-Max' should have been on the ballot.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited September 2014

Carnyx said:

Speedy said:

HanDodges said:

SeanT

And I am a No supporter.

Puzzled!

Stability in the markets will be the story...keep a steady hand etc etc.
    How does that square with Cameron going?

Keep building your meme...

• Options

Speedy said:

Don't get too downbeat, it is likely to show a Tory lead next week given past form.
  • Options
    @Morris Dancer

To save on faffing around with cross border trade. Waste of time and effort.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Speedy said:

HanDodges said:

SeanT

And I am a No supporter.

Puzzled!

Can't see Mr O going if 'Yes'. Cameron will resist like a limpet, but he'll have to go. Doesn't mean O goes - he could even become leader, although personally I think Hague will suddenly find politics interesting again and step into the breach. Stability in the markets will be the story...keep a steady hand etc etc.
    Thanks!

• Options
    Ashcroft poll is a disaster for Ed Miliband.
    Labour need to be 32 points ahead at this stage.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2014

Speedy said:

Peter, nothing is changing, nor will it until after IndyRef. Even then the conferences will confuse things as usual, so we need to wait until late October before looking for significant movement (or lack thereof). You keep micro-analysing noise - some polls are better for the Tories, some worse, but overall there's not much movement.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    John_N said:

The question is, not whether an independent Scotland could eventually become a full EU member, but on what terms and in what timescale.

True - and then there is the question of whether they could actually meet those terms.

One of the terms would be that they protect bank account deposits to the tune of the first €100,000 (£85000). That's hard to do if you haven't got a central bank or lender of last resort, and if the Herfindahl index of your retail banking system is over 3000, with two banks accounting for about 70% of it. That said, both RBS and Lloyds would move south. But rUK isn't going to protect Scottish accounts with rUK-registered banks. (Why should it?)

Lloyds only registered in Scotland after being broken up on EU orders, because it was so appallingly managed. Moving back south might come at great cost. It's not something they could just push a button to do.

I'm sorry, but this is a bullshit story.

In the event of independence, RBS, HBOS, etc., would almost certainly become rUK PLCs, as they have far, far more business in rUK than in Scotland. HBoS is the most exposed, but even there only 8% of its loans are in Scotland. For RBS, it's less than 5%.

RBS, HBoS would set up Scottish subsidiaries that would manage their Scottish operations and loans - and it would only be these that the Scottish government would have to guarantee. The quantity of these would be quite modest, and would be well within the ability of the Scottish government to meet.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@iainmartin1: The Cameron would have to resign after a Yes vote thing falls apart when you ask who takes over. Miliband? Osborne? Who then?

There would be a Tory party leadership election surely? Not up-to-speed with Tory rule book, but possible this election would only involve MPs and not whole party. The winner becomes PM. Clegg could run the country during the two or three weeks this takes. What a jolly time that will be...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,924
    Ashcroft National Poll: Con 28%, Lab 35%, Lib Dem 8%, UKIP 18%, Green 6%

Sep 08, 2014 03:59 pm
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    Ben Quinn ‏@BenQuinn75 9m
    Little relief on the horizon for the 'No' side in new Scotland #indyref polling due out

http://bit.ly/WFYCoz via @ewenmacaskill
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Setting a minimum welfare spend could prove very foolhardy. What happens after the next General Election when whoever wins has to take the knife out big time to cut that pesky £100 Billion per annum deficit ....... would the Scots simply be exempted from such cuts?
  • Options

Clegg could run the country during the two or three weeks this takes.

Which is the only reason you need that Cameron will NOT resign...
  • Options

Afternoon troops. Been driving down the A9 this morning from Easter Ross to sunny Comrie near Crieff. Reckon the YES posters beat the NO posters 5:1 on roadside sites. Almost all the NO posters I saw were in the Crieff area which is as Tory as one can get in Perthshire these days.

Easterross, am I correct that you have consistently predicted a YES vote?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Broken sleazy Tories on the slide?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,090

That reads like a Boring James Milner tweet!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Clegg could run the country during the two or three weeks this takes.

Which is the only reason you need that Cameron will NOT resign...
    Vote NO, get Ed!
    Vote YES, get (rid of) Dave!

:)
  • Options
    Todays LA poll LAB 366 CON 228 LD 28 Others 28

Ed is Crap is PM
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Hmm...this means that after a NO then Scotland would for all time be more lefty than the UK as a whole. I object. What if a future Tory Scotland felt tax and spend was too high across the whole of a Labour governed UK? Scotland should have the right to REDUCE tax / spend unilaterally as well. This is a one way ratchet to lefty hell. In the circumstances of today it seems sensible(ish). But if you think about it for more than 5 minutes it truly sucks.

Osborne should offer a fully Federal UK where a bare minimium (a seriously BARE minimum) of federal tax was passed to England, Scotland, Wales and NI for their public sectors and anything else was taxed and spent separately by the 4.

I want a FUK!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Speedy said:

HanDodges said:

SeanT

And I am a No supporter.

Puzzled!

Stability in the markets will be the story...keep a steady hand etc etc.
    How does that square with Cameron going?

Keep building your meme...

It doesn't help the markets for Cameron to go, but he has no choice IMHO. Losing the Finance minister at same time would make things far worse.
  • Options
    Mr. Dodges, I must say that is a silly answer. We don't run into much trouble trading with any other nation due to that reason and I cannot see the British taxpayer wanting to be lender of last resort to the entire Scottish financial sector just to avoid the terrible peril of occasionally changing money.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,395
    edited September 2014
    Guardian:

'3.53pm BST

The next Scottish polls are being eagerly awaited to see if they will confirm the shift to yes recorded in the YouGov one for the Sunday Times, or if they will show it was just a blip.

However, the Guardian’s Ewen MacAskill has been told there is little relief on the horizon for Alistair Darling and the no campaign: that the next poll to be published on Tuesday will confirm the trend.

How will the markets react to that?'

http://tinyurl.com/m7b9zqd
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135

Speedy said:

Broken sleazy Tories on the slide?
    Lab Maj 85. Working majority without Scotland.
  • Options
    The most astonishing thing from the Ashcroft poll is again the lack of solidity of the small LD vote. Just 32% of that 8% is definite that it will vote LD.
    The LD's have yet to reach a bottom.
  • Options
    Todays Populus LAB 334 CON 272 LD 18 Other 26 (ukpr)

EICIPM

8 Months today methinks to go

• Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited September 2014
    Has anyone supposed that Cameron might just prefer to resign - like after four and a half years he's had enough - and a Yes vote would present a perfect opportunity for him to do without fuss yet seemingly with honour?
  • Options

Boring James Milner @BoringMilner · Jun 24
    Roy said You're starting today. I said Me? He said Yes. I said Starting? He said Yes. I said In the match? He said Yes. I said Ok Roy.

• Options

Has anyone supposed that Cameron might just prefer to resign - like after four and a half years he's had enough - and a Yes vote would present a perfect opportunity for him to do without fuss yet seemingly with honour?

It would not be honourable to hand the reins to Clegg just as the markets were tumbling...
  • Options
    Incidentally, the Ashcroft poll is effectively meaningless (likewise all national polls until the referendum is sorted). If Scotland leaves it'll change the political atmosphere dramatically.
  • Options
    @Morris

Refusing a union would lead to years in the courts trying to resolve assets and liabilities and would lead to even greater a mess than we would already have under a Yes. A union would clearly be the sensible approach.
  • Options
    isam said:

Boring James Milner @BoringMilner · Jun 24
    Roy said You're starting today. I said Me? He said Yes. I said Starting? He said Yes. I said In the match? He said Yes. I said Ok Roy.

We can use him to predict the results of the general election on election night.

"Boring James Milner @BoringMilner · Aug 10
    It sounded really windy outside so I went out to see & it was really windy, then I remembered the weather forecast said It would be windy"
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,738
    Is AndyJS around? - If he is I have candidate news for him. James Bellis has been selected as the Tory PPC for Vauxhall.
  • Options
    UKIP & Lib Dems hate each other the most!

Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft · 19m
    Party and leader ratings from the Ashcroft National Poll. DC remains only leader with a higher score than his party: pic.twitter.com/WUmDa5Jpj0

• Options
    Scott_P said:

It would not be honourable to hand the reins to Clegg just as the markets were tumbling...
    Although it might make Speedy wet his pants in excitement.
  • Options

• Options
    Next week a crucial week for Dave

Lose the Union and its all over for him.

Next month is a crucial year for him

Lose Clacton and its anarchy in whats left of the UK (OK i exaggerate but the Tories will implode into righty right wingness)

Next year is a crucial year for Dave

Lose GE 2015 and its all over for him.

I predict 2 of 3 at least are extremely likely. The Union is more finely balanced.
  • Options
    Mr. Dodges, if that's necessary, then fine. Scotland can't vote for independence then try and keep the perks of union.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2014
    isam said:

Party and leader ratings from the Ashcroft National Poll. DC remains only leader with a higher score than his party: pic.twitter.com/WUmDa5Jpj0

Yet politicalbetting.com is full of posters saying Cameron is an electoral disaster.

Hell, even Osborne gets a higher rating than any of the other politicians, apart from Cameron, named in that list.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Peter, nothing is changing, nor will it until after IndyRef. Even then the conferences will confuse things as usual, so we need to wait until late October before looking for significant movement (or lack thereof). You keep micro-analysing noise - some polls are better for the Tories, some worse, but overall there's not much movement.
    Richard - with due respect - if one isn't allowed to comment on polls, or identify trends therefrom, then what's the point in commissioning them at vast expense in the first instance?
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

It looks a little bit like UKIP are benefiting from current travails there. Whether that's due to the prospect of YES, or Clacton effect, or neither (and it's just statistical noise) remains to be seen.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Edin_Rokz said:

It looks a little bit like UKIP are benefiting from current travails there. Whether that's due to the prospect of YES, or Clacton effect, or neither (and it's just statistical noise) remains to be seen.
    Or Rotherham.
  • Options
    Mr. Owls, lose the union? Blaming Cameron for a Yes vote would be like blaming Constantine Dragases for losing Byzantium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Robertson,_Baron_Robertson_of_Port_Ellen#Quote_on_devolution
  • Options
    edited September 2014

isam said:

Yet politicalbetting.com is full of posters saying Cameron is an electoral disaster.

Hell, even Osborne gets a higher rating than any of the other politicians, apart from Cameron, named in that list.
    Hence, the eagerness to develop a meme that he must resign in the event of a 'Yes'.

Is Eck going in the event of a 'No'?
  • Options
    Lennon said:

Is AndyJS around? - If he is I have candidate news for him. James Bellis has been selected as the Tory PPC for Vauxhall.

All responsible voters will be supporting the Labour incumbent, who is tough on European federalism and strongly supportive of civil liberties.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    edited September 2014

Edin_Rokz said:

The Sunil on Sunday's weekly ELBOWs have shown an increase in UKIP of 1.6% between the week ending 17th Aug and 7th Sep, and a decrease in LibDems of 1.5%.
  • Options

Richard - with due respect - if one isn't allowed to comment on polls, or identify trends therefrom, then what's the point in commissioning them at vast expense in the first instance?

I'm all in favour of analysing them, but you need to step back a bit more to see the trend, and remember that even if nothing is changing, you can easily expect a 2 or 3 point movement from the mean in a given pollster's numbers for either of the main parties, purely on random statistical noise.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

isam said:

Quite funny to see the stereotypes being backed up... Lib Dems don't really mind anyone except UKIP & Farage who they hate while UKIP hate everyone except UKIP & Farage who they love

Kippers the most passionate about their party and leader by a mile.. get on UKIP over LD in the match bet I say.. 8/11 still value
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    SeanT said:

If this poll shows another YES lead, as may be the case, I am calling it for YES.

What convinces me is the evidence adduced today by TUD, much as it grieves me. The more people learn about Indy the more they tend to YES. In which case almost nothing can be done, though I urge people to try!

I suspect this is because they hear seductive lies from YES and the boring facts from NO, but nonetheless the trend is not our friend. Go out there and shout about indy, and the people think, hey, I fancy a change. Shut up and do nothing and they will be persuaded by the Nats.

It is nearly time to say Adieu, and to shift our savings. I'm into Pacific equities ex Japan.

'It's 1940, the Germans are in Calais, and SeanT flees to America, with a battered suitcase full of heavily soiled trousers, and gold sovereigns...'
  • Options

isam said:

And yet the Tories, in this Achcroft poll, are polling sub-Major at GE 1997 and sub-Brown at GE 2010.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

If this poll shows another YES lead, as may be the case, I am calling it for YES.

What convinces me is the evidence adduced today by TUD, much as it grieves me. The more people learn about Indy the more they tend to YES. In which case almost nothing can be done, though I urge people to try!

I suspect this is because they hear seductive lies from YES and the boring facts from NO, but nonetheless the trend is not our friend. Go out there and shout about indy, and the people think, hey, I fancy a change. Shut up and do nothing and they will be persuaded by the Nats.

It is nearly time to say Adieu, and to shift our savings. I'm into Pacific equities ex Japan.

My policy - which has yet to fail me - is to look at what Ambrose Evans-Pritchard is forecasting, and do the opposite.
  • Options

Mr. Owls, lose the union? Blaming Cameron for a Yes vote would be like blaming Constantine Dragases for losing Byzantium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Robertson,_Baron_Robertson_of_Port_Ellen#Quote_on_devolution

Ed goes campaigning in Scotland and Yes takes the lead.

Is all Ed's fault.
  • Options

SeanT said:

'It's 1939, the Germans are in Calais, and SeanT flees to America, with a battered suitcase full of heavily soiled trousers, and gold sovereigns...'
    Wasn't that 1940?
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, be careful. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
  • Options
    Wrong Morris. I have already given an example of an independent nation that had a currency union.
  • Options

And yet the Tories, in this Achcroft poll, are polling sub-Major at GE 1997 and sub-Brown at GE 2010.

Indeed, the UKIP self-harm effect is dramatic. We'll have to wait and see whether it lasts as the election comes into focus.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    Have we an AT for TNS?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    HanDodges said:

Wrong Morris. I have already given an example of an independent nation that had a currency union.

One of those economies heavily tied to a resource that has volatile prices?
  • Options
    For those wanting spread bets, IG Index have a market

@IGcom: Polls show Scotland #indyref split 50:50, but IG binary trade suggests otherwise. @AMcCaig_IG explains http://t.co/OACJm393wC
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,027
    I'd be suprised if the next poll didn't have Yes going up, after all they were on 35% on the last one! The question is will Yes have a lead, or how small will the No lead be?
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Scott_P said:

Hmm...this means that after a NO then Scotland would for all time be more lefty than the UK as a whole. I object. What if a future Tory Scotland felt tax and spend was too high across the whole of a Labour governed UK? Scotland should have the right to REDUCE tax / spend unilaterally as well. This is a one way ratchet to lefty hell. In the circumstances of today it seems sensible(ish). But if you think about it for more than 5 minutes it truly sucks.

Osborne should offer a fully Federal UK where a bare minimium (a seriously BARE minimum) of federal tax was passed to England, Scotland, Wales and NI for their public sectors and anything else was taxed and spent separately by the 4.

I want a FUK!
    You do know that the Labour proposal for devo-a wee-bittie is rather like that ratchet, Scotland can only increase tax not reduce it compared to rUK?

• Options

isam said:

This government seems to be good at the economics and crap at the politics.

Cameron and his team have lost Ashcroft, Murdoch, several of his key donors, over half the voluntary party and some of his earliest parliamentary supporters.

He still seems baffled as to why - it's always the fault of the ex-supporters, never him, and the only retort seems to be 'yeah, but we're better at The Money than Labour would be'

That's not enough.
  • Options
    It's win-win, really, regarding Dave.

If the Scots vote NO, and stay in the UK, that almost guarantees that the Tories won't be the largest party at the GE - Dave steps down as PM.

If the Scots vote YES, and Scotland leaves the UK, Dave resigns much earlier!
  • Options
    Sean T

Down thread there is a tweet suggesting that this poll will reflect the trend.

That doesn't meant that it will show a Yes but it does suggest that it might.

I am starting to believe that this disaster will happen.

Though if I were Scots I would probably vote Yes - just too romantic an idea to be part of a generation that started its own country, regardless of the massive risks.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It's really pointless to talk about the general election and "UKIP prospects" even as Scotland seems to be seceding. It's like discussing next year's Test at Lords as a nuclear missile heads for St John's Wood.

What happened to the famous British stiff upper lip.

You acting all ponceyboots Gaylord make me ashamed to be British.

Sack up you Jessie.

he which hath no stomach to this fight,
    Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
    And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
    We would not die in that man's company
    That fears his fellowship to die with us.
  • Options

Really you dont think the Toxic Tory policies like the bedroom tax and NHS private sector involvement are big factors?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

For those wanting spread bets, IG Index have a market

@IGcom: Polls show Scotland #indyref split 50:50, but IG binary trade suggests otherwise. @AMcCaig_IG explains http://t.co/OACJm393wC

Its not really a spread bet though its the same as backing Yes on Betfair
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    edited September 2014

SeanT said:

It's really pointless to talk about the general election and "UKIP prospects" even as Scotland seems to be seceding. It's like discussing next year's Test at Lords as a nuclear missile heads for St John's Wood.

What happened to the famous British stiff upper lip.

You acting all ponceyboots Gaylord make me ashamed to be British.

Sack up you Jessie.

he which hath no stomach to this fight,
    Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
    And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
    We would not die in that man's company
    That fears his fellowship to die with us.
    Keep calm and vote YES?
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,738

Lennon said:

All responsible voters will be supporting the Labour incumbent, who is tough on European federalism and strongly supportive of civil liberties.
    And is clearly going to win by a country mile (again), so you may as well vote for a minor party to give them a boost... :-)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Have we an AT for TNS?

Midnight.
  • Options
    Mmmm this makes me hungry:
    "Paul Nuttall @paulnuttallukip · 5h
    Now the EU is targeting our toast! http://ukipnw.org.uk/hands-off-our-toast/ … #ukip @UKIP "
This discussion has been closed.