Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Yes we Kem? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,033
edited September 19 in General
imageYes we Kem? – politicalbetting.com

"I grew up in a middle class family.. But I became working class when I was working in McDonalds"– Conservative party leadership candidate Kemi Badenoch pic.twitter.com/anQv1MJDmT

Read the full story here

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 52,909
    Good morning and FPT

I’ve had problems in recent travels with Santander and Halifax and Barclay all questioning and stopping Visa and Mastercard payments. It’s because they can’t believe someone would travel this much - so they think it’s fraudulent. This despite me telling them my job involves frequent travel. Maddening

The one card that works every time? Often my last hope? Amex
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,173
    Kemi really needed her father to be a toolmaker.

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,140
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Interesting though that is, it doesn't correctly get why Arizona (and Nevada) have swung Blue. It's nothing to do with Hispanics, and all to do with a massive increase in the proportion of graduates.

Tech companies relocating from California, or allowing WFH somewhere cheaper?
    The trend is a longer term one, beginning in around 2004-2006, and my guess is that it was initially caused by the high cost of living (both housing and taxes) in California. In addition, Arizona has a really thriving University sector (ASU and University of Arizona) that has grown dramatically over the period.

There was a really good NPR article on the changes, and it showed that - over the course of 3/4 electoral cycles - Arizona had gone from about 7 pecentage points fewer graduates than the national average to 3 above. Almost all the voting changes in the State can be explained by that, given how much Democrats outperform with college educated Americans.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,140

The Israeli government did not tamper with the Hezbollah devices that exploded, defense and intelligence officials say. It manufactured them as part of an elaborate ruse.

By all appearances, B.A.C. Consulting was a Hungary-based company that was under contract to produce the devices on behalf of a Taiwanese company, Gold Apollo. In fact, it was part of an Israeli front, according to three intelligence officers briefed on the operation. They said at least two other shell companies were created as well to mask the real identities of the people creating the pagers: Israeli intelligence officers.
    B.A.C. did take on ordinary clients, for which it produced a range of ordinary pagers. But the only client that really mattered was Hezbollah, and its pagers were far from ordinary. Produced separately, they contained batteries laced with the explosive PETN, according to the three intelligence officers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/18/world/middleeast/israel-exploding-pagers-hezbollah.html

I was about to copy your comment over to make sure it wasn't missed!
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,432
    edited September 19
    Ha !!!!

I called it in the last thread !!!!!

Yes we Kem :wink:
  • Taz said:

Ha !!!!

It was just for you.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,993
    edited September 19
    I've not yet seen a fuller clip of that yet. Notice how quickly it ends. Without further information I would assume that she was making a joke rather than contributing to the hatchet-job that is clearly taking place on this candidate.

The Israeli government did not tamper with the Hezbollah devices that exploded, defense and intelligence officials say. It manufactured them as part of an elaborate ruse.

By all appearances, B.A.C. Consulting was a Hungary-based company that was under contract to produce the devices on behalf of a Taiwanese company, Gold Apollo. In fact, it was part of an Israeli front, according to three intelligence officers briefed on the operation. They said at least two other shell companies were created as well to mask the real identities of the people creating the pagers: Israeli intelligence officers.
    B.A.C. did take on ordinary clients, for which it produced a range of ordinary pagers. But the only client that really mattered was Hezbollah, and its pagers were far from ordinary. Produced separately, they contained batteries laced with the explosive PETN, according to the three intelligence officers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/18/world/middleeast/israel-exploding-pagers-hezbollah.html

It’s a master stroke following a master plan concocted by a mastermind

Allegedly, they’ve managed to booby trap smart phones, music systems and TOASTERS
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,432

Taz said:

Ha !!!!

It was just for you.
    You're ace TSE !!!!
  • Japan firm says it stopped making walkie-talkies used in Lebanon blasts
    https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cj6ezre8xr4o

I wonder who could have made them....
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,151
    edited September 19
    Leon said:

Allegedly, they’ve managed to booby trap smart phones, music systems and TOASTERS
    It will most likely be unit 8200...who most likely to pitching for silicon valley start-up money in a few years (but obviously can never talk about what they did previously).
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,137
    edited September 19
    Sorry, back on the US and from PT:

Although I expect Harris to win I am still worried about a couple of things - the first to do with Trump and the second with her.

Trump: As his prospects decline his advisors will be begging him to stop mugging up to his base (eg saying he won in 2020, demonising migrants, all the ludicrous lies about everything under the sun) and start really trying to appeal to moderate undecideds. If he can do that he’ll be back in the game. I don’t think he can but you never know.

Harris: She’s a woman. The first female president would be a huge deal but there’s a reason her campaign isn’t highlighting it. Misogyny (eg strong man equals bossy woman) is a powerful force in society. She has to overcome that. I’m hoping the drag is outweighed by factors the other way (people actively wanting a woman as president), or if it isn’t that the negative impact is already in the polls.

(On the Tory, I think Jenrick pretty much has it)
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,428

Everyone said there wasn't enough room in the batteries for an effective amount of explosive. If there was, then that opens up a whole load of unpleasant possibilities.

Not the lithium polymer cells used in smartphones can be moulded into all manner of shapes. With the involvement of the battery manufacturer, it would probably not be all that difficult to hide explosive in what is a sealed pouch.

And it would take a quite small amount of explosive to turn a car battery pack into quite a large incendiary bomb....
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,266
    England are playing Pakistan in a few weeks' time but no-one knows where the matches will be played.

https://www.cityam.com/south-africa-discussed-as-venue-for-england-test-series-with-pakistan/
    Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

I’ve had problems in recent travels with Santander and Halifax and Barclay all questioning and stopping Visa and Mastercard payments. It’s because they can’t believe someone would travel this much - so they think it’s fraudulent. This despite me telling them my job involves frequent travel. Maddening

Regular readers of the gazette, then ? :wink:
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,312
    edited September 19
    Didn't she also claim to have learned humility in the role? What happened to that then?

On becoming working class, Pulp's Common People comes to mind (which I remember being sung enthusiastically by some very middle class people at uni :lol:)

Cleverly shows some class here, I think.
    Leon said:

Also FPT

Some nonsense talked being talked about Armenia. eg that Armenia is an “accidental” ally of Russia, and this happened relatively recently

I’ve been to Armenia (also eastern Turkey, Georgia and Azerbaijan) and read a lot of history

The Armenian alliance with Russia is historical. It goes back to Tsarist timed when they were two ancient Christian nations, and mighty Russia was seen as a protector of small Christian nations against the evil Muslim Ottomans

With the Armenians that protection was sometimes vividly important, eg after the pogroms and the genocide

Armenia is still a natural ally of Russia even as it looks yearningly to the West, as well. It’s Putin that has bungled this relationship by appearing to side with Ankara or even Baku

We should help the Armenians. Because no one else will and they’re great people who’ve had a hard time from everyone

Good to agree with you once in a while.
    kinabalu said:

Sorry, back on the US and from PT:

Although I expect Harris to win I am still worried about a couple of things - the first to do with Trump and the second with her.

Trump: As his prospects decline his advisors will be begging him to stop mugging up to his base (eg saying he won in 2020, demonising migrants, all the ludicrous lies about everything under the sun) and start really trying to appeal to moderate undecideds. If he can do that he’ll be back in the game. I don’t think he can but you never know.

Harris: She’s a woman. The first female president would be a huge deal but there’s a reason her campaign isn’t highlighting it. Misogyny (eg strong man equals bossy woman) is a powerful force in society. She has to overcome that. I’m hoping the drag is outweighed by factors the other way (people actively wanting a woman as president), or if it isn’t that the negative impact is already in the polls.

(On the Tory, I think Jenrick pretty much has it)

Also, Harris has been coached recently, but prior to this her public-speaking was average at best. There is potential for gaffs in the time that remains to the election. There are certainly reasons to be worried and I am not as confident of a win as you are.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,356
    edited September 19
    Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

If you want stupidity and credit cards.

I have a paid for Lloyds Global Travel card that gives priority security and free lounge access. I don't use it abroad because they have a 3% surcharge on foreign currency transactions. So I use a Halifax Clarity card in such circumstances.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,303
    Leon said:

Also FPT

Some nonsense talked being talked about Armenia. eg that Armenia is an “accidental” ally of Russia, and this happened relatively recently

I’ve been to Armenia (also eastern Turkey, Georgia and Azerbaijan) and read a lot of history

The Armenian alliance with Russia is historical. It goes back to Tsarist timed when they were two ancient Christian nations, and mighty Russia was seen as a protector of small Christian nations against the evil Muslim Ottomans

With the Armenians that protection was sometimes vividly important, eg after the pogroms and the genocide

Armenia is still a natural ally of Russia even as it looks yearningly to the West, as well. It’s Putin that has bungled this relationship by appearing to side with Ankara or even Baku

We should help the Armenians. Because no one else will and they’re great people who’ve had a hard time from everyone

Who said they were an 'accidental' ally?
    Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

It's always the last card you try that works :wink:
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526

Leon said:

Also FPT

Quote from @JosiasJessop:

"It could be argued that Armenia only became a Russian ally through CTSO because Turkey sided with Azerbaijan, and no-one else wanted to help them."
    Leon said:

Tactically brilliant; strategically dumb, IMO.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,874
    This was a gaffe by Kemi and makes her look ludicrously out of touch. Plenty of students do holiday jobs at McDonalds, even those with wealthy middle class backgrounds but it doesn’t make them working class if they then go on to become solicitors and GPs etc.

I thought until this morning Kemi would probably come third, she might now even come fourth with almost all Stride’s MP backers going to Tugendhat and Cleverly and Jenrick already well ahead of her
    edited September 19
    Stocky said:

I've not yet seen a fuller clip of that yet. Notice how quickly it ends. Without further information I would assume that she was making a joke rather than contributing to the hatchet-job that is clearly taking place on this candidate.

Would indeed be interesting to see the context

ETA: a bit longer here: https://www.tiktok.com/@dailymailuk/video/7415905891926412576
    I think it's a clumsy point badly made - that she got a bit of a window into the working class world - more than anything (although given she's supposed to be a good speaker, that is an issue)
  • CookieCookie Posts: 12,895
    Selebian said:

If Kam wins (and again in four years) and Kem wins (and then, in five years, wins again) then I guess we'll all be discussing the Kam-Kem chem (or lack thereof) after their first meeting :smile:

I am now rooting so hard for Kemi for that reason alone.

Selebian said:

Stocky said:

I find it hard to conclude that she was serious. How likely is that? So where is this hatchet-job coming from and why? Why the hatchet-job on Badenoch but not Jenrick? It's been said that the MPs don't like her - well if that's the case she won't make the final two anyway. We know Mandelson is on record as saying that she is the candidate Labour fears...
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,303

Leon said:

Also FPT

Quote from @JosiasJessop:

"It could be argued that Armenia only became a Russian ally through CTSO because Turkey sided with Azerbaijan, and no-one else wanted to help them."
    I thought that might be what he meant. That's not the same though as saying its 'accidental', is it?

Yes, Armenia had long and historic links with Russia and the USSR: as many countries in the region did. Are you arguing that lots of other countries wanted to help Armenia?
    eek said:

Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

I have a paid for Lloyds Global Travel card that gives priority security and free lounge access. I don't use it abroad because they have a 3% surcharge on foreign currency transactions. So I use a Halifax Clarity card in such circumstances.
    Hah
    edited September 19
    Prisoner freed early by Starmer back in jail 48 hours later

Former actor Jason Hoganson arrested shortly after being freed from 18-month sentence for assaulting ex-girlfriend

...after being freed from an 18-month sentence for assaulting his former girlfriend in the street....

A court heard he was arrested on September 11, the day after he was released, on suspicion of two counts of breaching a restraining order by contacting the same former partner and one of assaulting her.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/09/19/prisoner-freed-early-keir-starmer-back-in-jail-48-hours/

He looks like a lovely chap.
    HYUFD said:

This was a gaffe by Kemi and makes her look ludicrously out of touch. Plenty of students do holiday jobs at McDonalds, even those with wealthy middle class backgrounds but it doesn’t make them working class if they then go on to become solicitors and GPs etc.

I thought until this morning Kemi would probably come third, she might now even come fourth with almost all Stride’s MP backers going to Tugendhat and Cleverly and Jenrick already well ahead of her

Yes, sadly. I kinda want Kemi to win because she’s the most interesting and - if she turns out good - could really frighten Labour

Unfortunately I suspect she’s a lightweight and that might never change. These remarks really don’t help in that regard
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,322

Kemi really needed her father to be a toolmaker.

Oh if only he had been then she would never need to buy her own clothes again.

edited September 19
    Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

Hah
    Do you use airport lounges, Leon? I'm going with 'yes'.

I travelled with someone last year who had business class while I was economy (as always) and he managed to
    get me into one as his guest. Free food and drinks was nice I guess but it was rammed and we couldn't find a seat. I'd much rather had gone to Pret.
    Stocky said:

Selebian said:

Stocky said:

I find it hard to conclude that she was serious. How likely is that? So where is this hatchet-job coming from and why? Why the hatchet-job on Badenoch but not Jenrick? It's been said that the MPs don't like her - well if that's the case she won't make the final two anyway. We know Mandelson is on record as saying that she is the candidate Labour fears...
    Not saying things that make you look like a tit is an important skill in a political leader though, rightly or wrongly. We've all seen plenty of other people quoted out of context.

The longer clip is not as bad, but it's also not great.
  • England collapso....
    Cookie said:

Selebian said:

If Kam wins (and again in four years) and Kem wins (and then, in five years, wins again) then I guess we'll all be discussing the Kam-Kem chem (or lack thereof) after their first meeting :smile:

Fair enough - but what if they DON’T get on? What if their chemistry is, I dunno, kind of… hazardous?
    How on earth would we refer to their relationship THEN?
  • I told you all Kemi was a duffer.
    edited September 19
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

Hah

I travelled with someone last year who had business class while I was economy (as always) and he managed to
    get me into one as his guest. Free food and drinks was nice I guess but it was rammed and we couldn't find a seat. I'd much rather had gone to Pret.
    There are airport lounges and there are airport lounges...the standard ones any old pleb can pay £20-30 and get access or pay a fairly low yearly membership for it. Given how expensive a Starbucks and a McD's have become its not exactly much more expensive.
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

Hah

Actually I don’t use lounges that much, often because of the reasons you cite. They are often rammed, and the food and drinks are generally rubbish

I do my research. You CAN find lounges at the really big airports - JFK, LHR, CDG, Changi, UAE - which are genuinely great

The big lounge at Barajas, Madrid, is magnificent (or was when I last used it)
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,975
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, sadly. I kinda want Kemi to win because she’s the most interesting and - if she turns out good - could really frighten Labour

Unfortunately I suspect she’s a lightweight and that might never change. These remarks really don’t help in that regard
    When Kemi made her first? response in the House as Shadow Minister of whatevs, she said she would hold her opponent to account. It struck me as vainglorious and petulant, as it turned her position into the same status as a YouTube reaction video. If she said something like "we will note your actions and argue against them when they conflict with good practice" i would have been more impressed.
    edited September 19
    Stocky said:

Selebian said:

Stocky said:

If Mandelson says she is the candidate Labour fears you know the Prince of Darkness actually means the opposite, Badenoch is the candidate Labour want. I suspect they most fear Tugendhat or Cleverly who the polling shows most appeal to ex Tory Labour voters
    Selebian said:

Stocky said:

Selebian said:

Stocky said:

Not saying things that make you look like a tit is an important skill in a political leader though, rightly or wrongly. We've all seen plenty of other people quoted out of context.

When one is trying to make a joke or just be light-hearted when MPs say things like 'she's intelligent as heck but doesn't do human' must be rather difficult and will always carry the risk of backfiring and looking like a tit - or being weaponised unfairly which is what I think has happened here. It's a non-story that even our HYUFD seems to have fallen for.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,266
    edited September 19
    "The causes of rising unhappiness are complex, but they surely have roots in the failures of a neoliberal economic regime that has fostered insecurity, isolation, anxiety, and fear—and was brought about by politicians in both political parties. Neoliberalism privatized risk, catalyzed alienation, and cultivated feelings of inadequacy and low self-worth for the 99 percent.
    .....................................................................................................................................................................................
    We are experiencing a crisis of what French sociologist Émile Durkheim called “anomie,” or normlessness, arising from the dizzying pace of social, economic, political, and technological change in our times and the weakening of institutions that foster social cohesion."

https://democracyjournal.org/arguments/the-death-of-deliverism/
    HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Selebian said:

Stocky said:

If Mandelson says she is the candidate Labour fears you know the Prince of Darkness actually means the opposite, Badenoch is the candidate Labour want. I suspect they most fear Tugendhat or Cleverly who the polling shows most appeal to ex Tory Labour voters
    I did wonder that, a double-bluff, but I think they would be right to fear her. She would clobber Starmer more than any other candidate and wouldn't take any shit from her MPs. After timidity Sunak this would be refreshing.
  • What a mess England are making of this. Might not bat the 50.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,134

Wow, a proper old-school CIA-style industrial sabotage campaign.

Chapeau, Mossad. Chapeau.
  • mercatormercator Posts: 635
    Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

Try Monzo. They also stop payments, but being tech from the ground up they have quick simple and elegant automatic way of letting you confirm your ID by videoing yourself. Legacy banks put you through to an idiot who asks you trick questions about how much was your electricity bill for March 2013.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,031
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

Hah

Actually I don’t use lounges that much, often because of the reasons you cite. They are often rammed, and the food and drinks are generally rubbish

I do my research. You CAN find lounges at the really big airports - JFK, LHR, CDG, Changi, UAE - which are genuinely great

The big lounge at Barajas, Madrid, is magnificent (or was when I last used it)
    A friend, one of those inveterate travellers who's more often out of the country than in, does lounge crawls. You can do that in large airports where there are multiple lounges belonging to the same alliance - i.e. Star Alliance, OneWorld or Skyteam. He's a Oneworld person so at LHR he can for example do Cathay Pacific, Qantas, BA, American, JAL etc. A nice option if you have lots of time to spare, especially on a stopover. Also useful if you want to find somewhere less busy because the long haul carriers are often empty for large parts of the day if there are no flights due.

I did a mini version last time I was in T3: a heaving BA and cathedral-like desolation in Qantas.
    edited September 19

Stocky said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

Hah

There are airport lounges and there are airport lounges...the standard ones any old pleb can pay £20-30 and get access or pay a fairly low yearly membership for it. Given how expensive a Starbucks and a McD's have become its not exactly much more expensive.
    If you’re flying Business just to get quick boarding and access to a lounge - eg for short haul - you’re generally making a terrible mistake

It’s better to spend £100 at the most expensive bar/seafood joint in the airport - and have a relaxed time with GREAT food and wine, than to spend the extra £300 on Biz tickets and get free cheap cheddar and crackers and dodgy wine in a crammed lounge

And airports all around the world are getting much better at shortening queues. E-gates are becoming ubiquitous and everyone has realised how to stagger security queues so they are smooth
    edited September 19
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Selebian said:

Stocky said:

I did wonder that, a double-bluff, but I think they would be right to fear her. She would clobber Starmer more than any other candidate and wouldn't take any shit from her MPs. After timidity Sunak this would be refreshing.
    She is also a lightweight who I doubt would appeal much to Labour or LD voters and is too pro immigration for Reform voters who would stick with Farage.

Mandelson recalls a dinner with her where Kemi ‘arrived late, sat down noisily, asked a none too bright question, then left early.’ So yes she is no nonsense but otherwise Mandy damning with faint praise

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/badenoch-the-tory-leadership-candidate-starmer-would-fear-most-suggests-mandelson/ar-BB1r04F3?ocid=tweet
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,058
    edited September 19
    https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/13691481241270519

Inside the ‘secret garden’: Candidate selection at the 2019 UK general election

Candidate selections are seen as the ‘secret garden’ of UK politics. Hundreds of parliamentary constituencies rarely change hands, meaning that the ‘real election’ is the incumbent party’s selection process. Yet scholarship into candidate selection in the United Kingdom remains limited. In this article, we build a novel dataset of known shortlisted candidates in winnable seats to offer the first cross-party analysis of who gets shortlisted, and what factors influence success among shortlisted candidates. We find that shortlisted female and ethnic minority candidates are still less likely to be selected as parliamentary candidates, while living locally is by far the most significant factor affecting selection success. However, the nature of the 2019 snap election allowed parties to use emergency powers to advantage party insiders in late selections. We further find that, contrary to media focus, party faction was not a significant factor in Conservative or Labour Party selections.
    Its sort of ok that Sue Gray gets paid more than the PM. She is actually running the country whereas Starmers going to football matches.
    mercator said:

Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

Try Monzo. They also stop payments, but being tech from the ground up they have quick simple and elegant automatic way of letting you confirm your ID by videoing yourself. Legacy banks put you through to an idiot who asks you trick questions about how much was your electricity bill for March 2013.
    I'm with Monzo and was locked out of making bank transfers for about 5 days, so it's not infallible. It's been better recently.
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Selebian said:

Stocky said:

I think she's the candidate with most uncertainty (and therefore most interest for the neutralish observer). Crash and burn quite quickly or really take Labour apart - but I haven't got a clue which.

She's not my kind of Tory anyway, so if I was voting it would not be for her, but if I was wishing on behalf of Labour I'd probably want to avoid her in case she surprised on the upside.
    Andy_JS said:

England are playing Pakistan in a few weeks' time but no-one knows where the matches will be played.

https://www.cityam.com/south-africa-discussed-as-venue-for-england-test-series-with-pakistan/

Fingers crossed for UAE. I want to watch me some cricket!
    HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Selebian said:

Stocky said:

She is also a lightweight who I doubt would appeal much to Labour or LD voters and is too pro immigration for Reform voters who would stick with Farage.

Mandelson recalls a dinner with her where Kemi ‘arrived late, sat down noisily, asked a none too bright question, then left early.’ So yes she is no nonsense but otherwise Mandy damning with faint praise

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/badenoch-the-tory-leadership-candidate-starmer-would-fear-most-suggests-mandelson/ar-BB1r04F3?ocid=tweet
    I cannot see how you can regard her as a lightweight. She is but Tugendhat isn't?

I think Jenrick will win and will be a big mistake.
  • More importantly, what has the Grand Wizard of Hezbollah called for?
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

Hah

If you’re flying Business just to get quick boarding and access to a lounge - eg for short haul - you’re generally making a terrible mistake

It’s better to spend £100 at the most expensive bar/seafood joint in the airport - and have a relaxed time with GREAT food and wine, than to spend the extra £300 on Biz tickets and get free cheap cheddar and crackers and dodgy wine in a crammed lounge

And airports all around the world are getting much better at shortening queues. E-gates are becoming ubiquitous and everyone has realised how to stagger security queues so they are smooth
    I find the best value for money of anything in the world is the 70 odd quid extra it costs for an economy seat by the exit so there's nothing in front of you. 85% of the benefit of biz for 5% of the cost.
  • WildernessPt2WildernessPt2 Posts: 273
    edited September 19
    I remember fondly Yvette Cooper doing something similar on Question Time, about her time unemployed and applying for the dole.
    The grinding poverty she experienced on the dole was exactly the same period of time between finishing her degree at Oxford and starting her masters at Harvard.
    Edit: Can't find the clip anywhere.
  • England lost something like 60-6 now....
    Just worked out I’ve done 21 flights this year so far, about one every ten days?

Good job I planted that small shrub last year to offset it all
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,340
    HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Selebian said:

Stocky said:

You know the Prince can double bluff don't you?
  • Leon said:

Just worked out I’ve done 21 flights this year so far, about one every ten days?

If Greta wasn't so busy getting arrested making a twat of herself over Israel, she would be outside your house chained to the railings.
    edited September 19
    New Emerson swing states poll has Harris leading in North Carolina and Michigan.

Trump though leads in Georgia and in Arizona and Wisconsin and Pennsylvania by 1% with Nevada tied

https://emersoncollegepolling.com/september-2024-swing-state-polls-trump-and-harris-locked-in-tight-presidential-race/
    mercator said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

Hah

I find the best value for money of anything in the world is the 70 odd quid extra it costs for an economy seat by the exit so there's nothing in front of you. 85% of the benefit of biz for 5% of the cost.
    I'm not sure it's 85% of the value but I agree it's good value. Thanks for the tip.
    edited September 19
    Stocky said:

Selebian said:

Stocky said:

Selebian said:

Stocky said:

When one is trying to make a joke or just be light-hearted when MPs say things like 'she's intelligent as heck but doesn't do human' must be rather difficult and will always carry the risk of backfiring and looking like a tit - or being weaponised unfairly which is what I think has happened here. It's a non-story that even our HYUFD seems to have fallen for.
    Yes, but it's like Brown trying to pretend he's into Arctic Monkeys or Cameron trying to pretend he supports West Ham Aston Villa. Or Miliband* trying to pretend... whatever it was he was trying to pretend. People are better leaning in to how they actually are, for better or worse. You might argue about Johnson, but he could do the bullshit and the characters/performance. So could Blair, I guess. If you're not good at that, then don't try to be someone you're not.

*He did a longish radio interview, forget with whom, shortly before the 2015 election where he was unusually relaxed (maybe internet radio and no one listening!) and sounded very normal - was waxing lyrical about Bastille and he clearly was a genuine fan. Completely different to the way he acted/sounded most of the time
    mercator said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

Hah

Yes. Exactly right

Also these days in long haul, on a decent airline, the economy entertainment is easily as good as Biz about 5 years ago. Tons of movies and TV: as many as you need. On a personal screen

So then you’re paying for space (which you can secure by the method you state) and nicer food. But it isn’t £2000 nicer
  • kenObikenObi Posts: 47
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

Hah

If you have BA Gold status, you have access to some brilliant lounges (The Pier, Hong Kong) regardless of what class you are travelling. (as long as its oneworld)
    Other Oneworld alliance lounges (Cathay, Qatar) will normally be miles better than BA

The lounges available to priority pass ("free" with some credit cards / banks) will probably be full in the UK & if they do let you in (you're bottom of the pile) will often be dire.
    Selebian said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Selebian said:

Stocky said:

I think she's the candidate with most uncertainty (and therefore most interest for the neutralish observer). Crash and burn quite quickly or really take Labour apart - but I haven't got a clue which.

She's not my kind of Tory anyway, so if I was voting it would not be for her, but if I was wishing on behalf of Labour I'd probably want to avoid her in case she surprised on the upside.
    She is unambiguously the most interesting or intriguing of the potential leaders. More often than not the Tories don't elect the most "interesting" candidate, although they did with Truss. Looking back through history I'd say the most intriguing options, in their own way, were Rory in 2019 (Boris was also pretty interesting, though not particularly intriguing), Gove in 2017 before his rapid drop-out, Davis in 2005, Portillo in 2001, Hague in 1997 and Heseltine in 1990.
    Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

Hah

Yes. Exactly right

Also these days in long haul, on a decent airline, the economy entertainment is easily as good as Biz about 5 years ago. Tons of movies and TV: as many as you need. On a personal screen

So then you’re paying for space (which you can secure by the method you state) and nicer food. But it isn’t £2000 nicer
    Does anyone use the entertainment on a plane these days? I download what I want on Netflix and iPlayer Apps on my phone and use bluetooth.
  • kenObikenObi Posts: 47
    Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

Hah

Yes. Exactly right

Most people are paying for a lie flat 'bed'.
    But yes, if its your own money, never £2k better.
    Stocky said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

Hah

I'm not sure it's 85% of the value but I agree it's good value. Thanks for the tip.
    Just check on the map that you are not too close to too many loos
    TimS said:

Selebian said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Selebian said:

Stocky said:

She is unambiguously the most interesting or intriguing of the potential leaders. More often than not the Tories don't elect the most "interesting" candidate, although they did with Truss. Looking back through history I'd say the most intriguing options, in their own way, were Rory in 2019 (Boris was also pretty interesting, though not particularly intriguing), Gove in 2017 before his rapid drop-out, Davis in 2005, Portillo in 2001, Hague in 1997 and Heseltine in 1990.
    And the only one of those who was the most electable candidate in the race was arguably Heseltine in 1990.
    kenObi said:

Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

Hah

Yes. Exactly right

Tramadol, Xanax, and a decent memory foam pillow
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,290
    Has anyone been able to explain the appeal of Badenoch? She was a minister for years. She achieved nothing. An absolute lightweight. She is also a rank coward who ran away when the heat was on. And she was weirdly obsessed with niche culture warring when she had a proper job to do.

Leon said:

If Greta wasn't so busy getting arrested making a twat of herself over Israel, she would be outside your house chained to the railings.
    Fat lot of good that would do - he's never there.
    kenObi said:

Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

Hah

Yes. Exactly right

It astonishes me that anyone would pay that sum. How decadent and obscene to spend £2,000 extra rather than putting up with very mild discomfort, at worst, for ten hours instead.
  • Stocky said:

kenObi said:

Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

Hah

Yes. Exactly right

It astonishes me that anyone would pay that sum. How decadent and obscene to spend £2,000 extra rather than putting up with very mild discomfort, at worst, for ten hours instead.
    Any less than say 6hrs, never had any issue with cattle class, but when you start to get to those 10hrs+ flights, it can become more than a mild discomfort.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 12,895
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Selebian said:

Fair enough - but what if they DON’T get on? What if their chemistry is, I dunno, kind of… hazardous?
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Selebian said:

Well that would be a nuisance. I've just had a quick flick through the thesaurus and can't find any synonyms for antipthy that would be pleasingly alliterative. They will just HAVE to get on.

I sort of share your view. I want Kemi to be good, and to win, but suspect she probably isn't. She strikes me as the best at articulating a position, no real evidence of adminstrative competence (but then that's all politicians in any party at the moment) and no real evidence of being good at politics (though I'm not convinced she's bad at it). TSE has been on a mission to tell us she's rubbish, but he hates all Tory politicians who are neither Dave Cameron or George Osborne, so I take that with a pinch of salt. Really I think she's the biggest unknown - she's the only one who could be brilliant, but she could also crash and burn the most spectacularly.
    Still think she's a lower risk than Jenrick though.
    Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

Hah

Yes. Exactly right

Most decent airlines have the same entertainment in all cabins now, only the size of the screen is different. Same with wifi, available to all but may cost $5-10 in economy.

Extra legroom seats are great value but be aware they’re not really confirmed until the doors shut, crew can and do sometimes try and move people around to and from them.

Premium economy is also good value on many flights, especially when booking close to travel date. More legroom and better service, but same food and no lounge.

Biz class is almost never worth the cost if paying yourself, I’ve had customers pay me a travel day the day before the work, because it was cheaper that a biz class overnight flight. You will get some sleep though, and the other perks such as taxis and lounges do help to offset the cost a little. I won’t fly overnight economy and expect to go straight into work the next morning - because no-one is going to be productive it that situation.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,993
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Selebian said:

Stocky said:

I cannot see how you can regard her as a lightweight. She is but Tugendhat isn't?

I think Jenrick will win and will be a big mistake.
    I think you are right about Jenrick. I also think the value bet (if there is one) is Cleverly. Assume only one of Jenrick and Kemi can make the last two, for simple maths reasons, so one of Hat and Cleverly must get through. It won't be Hat. So if Jenrick slips up - and some would argue that he presents as an oleagenous creep who helps the wrong sort and steals white sticks off blind people - Cleverly gets it.

(As to the correct answer, Hunt is the only possible candidate on current evidence. Maybe they will get there in the end.)
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,058

Its sort of ok that Sue Gray gets paid more than the PM. She is actually running the country whereas Starmers going to football matches.

The FT points out that she's being paid less than prior people in the same role under Tory governments. It's just that, relative to inflation, the PM salary has fallen further.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,343
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

Selebian said:

Stocky said:

I think Kemi needs to become leader of the opposition so that she can properly appreciate how difficult top tier politics is and then decide if she wants to work hard at being good at it.

I get the impression that she's reasonably happy with the easy clap lines that cheer her own side, but isn't bothered about taking it further.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,200
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

Hah

Yes. Exactly right

Does anyone use the entertainment on a plane these days? I download what I want on Netflix and iPlayer Apps on my phone and use bluetooth.
    I find the biggest innovation for making long haul tolerable is top-class noise-cancelling headphones.

If you want to watch the included entertainment, but keep your own headphones, you can get one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avantree-Relay-Headphones-Transmitter-Flight-Black/dp/B0C3QQ4X6F/
    edited September 19

The FT points out that she's being paid less than prior people in the same role under Tory governments. It's just that, relative to inflation, the PM salary has fallen further.
    The PM is woefully underpaid position these days. The story doesn't seem really about the salary Sue Gray gets (that isn't OTT for the role), it appears that multiple people within government independently leaked it to a BBC journalist out of some sort of spite / factional war going on.
    edited September 19
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Also FPT

..As for your noble call to “help the Armenians because no one else will”—how touching. Truly, @Leon, you’re the hero Armenia never knew it needed. But here’s the thing: Armenia isn’t sitting around waiting for @Leon and the cavalry to come save them. They’ve been weathering the storms of regional politics for centuries without your divine intervention. Your patronizing “we should help them” attitude reeks of savior complex, and, frankly, the Armenians deserve better than your condescending hand-wringing.

That's needlessly acerbic.
    They could do with a break. It's not as though any western assistance has recently amounted to anything much more than hand-wringing.

Nor indeed is Leon Foreign Secretary.
    (Thank heavens.)
  • Stocky said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

Hah

When I was a jet-setter (2006-2009) commuting regularly via Schipol, I once saw a mouse in a KLM lounge there.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,834

What a mess England are making of this. Might not bat the 50.

Never understood the issue with not batting the overs. If you score 350 all out in 40 overs isn't it better than 300-5 in 50? (Assuming modetn ODI rules - local leagues may have different rules and overs transferred etc)
    edited September 19
    carnforth said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Good morning and FPT

Hah

Yes. Exactly right

I find the biggest innovation for making long haul tolerable is top-class noise-cancelling headphones.

If you want to watch the included entertainment, but keep your own headphones, you can get one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avantree-Relay-Headphones-Transmitter-Flight-Black/dp/B0C3QQ4X6F/
    I remember the looks I used to get when I Sennheiser ones way before they became commonplace (and it was only Bose / Sennheiser that had the tech), having to explain what they were and how £400 was absolutely worth it.
    edited September 19

What a mess England are making of this. Might not bat the 50.

Never understood the issue with not batting the overs. If you score 350 all out in 40 overs isn't it better than 300-5 in 50? (Assuming modetn ODI rules - local leagues may have different rules and overs transferred etc)
    England worst of both worlds. 230-3 off 34, 315 all out without batting the full overs.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,338
    edited September 19
    I think next time we go to NY we'll go on the Queen Mary. 8 nights' full board + entertainment* for less than half the price of a business class flight.

(*Ok it's not going to be West End standard but it's better than an in-flight movie.)
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Also FPT

Oh @Leon, my dear sweet summer child! How quaint your understanding of history is—like a nursery rhyme for the geopolitically naïve. Let me take a moment from my busy schedule of rolling my eyes to respond to your charming interpretation of the Armenia-Russia relationship.

You’ve "been to Armenia," have you? And read some books, too? Oh, @Leon, congratulations on your unparalleled expertise. Because, of course, a few visits and some light reading are all one needs to truly grasp the tangled web of centuries-old geopolitics. What next? Are you going to teach a masterclass in Advanced Diplomacy based on your trip to a souvenir shop in Yerevan?

Let’s address your absolutely precious idea that the Armenian-Russian relationship is somehow based on “two ancient Christian nations” standing hand-in-hand against the scary Muslim Ottomans. Oh, the drama! The sweeping romance! This isn’t a history lesson, @Leon, it’s a soap opera you’ve concocted. Are you honestly suggesting that Tsarist Russia, that paragon of altruism, was motivated by a deep, spiritual bond with Armenia? That they just couldn’t resist protecting their dear Christian brethren? Give me a break! Russia had about as much interest in Armenia’s well-being as a wolf does in sheep’s rights. They were after territory, power, and influence—simple as that.

Now, your assertion that Armenia is still a natural ally of Russia—oh, where do I even begin? Are we talking about the same Russia? The one that’s cosying up to Turkey and Azerbaijan like they’re at some geopolitical singles’ mixer, while Armenia is standing in the corner awkwardly holding a drink? It’s like calling a frog and a snake “natural allies” because they both live near the same pond. Russia’s only “natural ally” is its own self-interest, and guess what, Armenia isn’t at the top of that list, no matter how many ancient Christian alliances you want to dream up.

And Putin bungling the relationship? Oh, @Leon, you give him far too much credit. Putin hasn’t bungled anything—he’s doing exactly what Russia has always done: use Armenia as a pawn in its grand game of let’s stay relevant on the world stage. If Armenia had any illusions of being Russia’s special little friend, those have been crushed under the weight of Moscow’s deals with Ankara and Baku. The sad reality is, Armenia is useful to Russia until it isn’t. There’s no bungling; there’s only cold, calculated realpolitik.

As for your noble call to “help the Armenians because no one else will”—how touching. Truly, @Leon, you’re the hero Armenia never knew it needed. But here’s the thing: Armenia isn’t sitting around waiting for @Leon and the cavalry to come save them. They’ve been weathering the storms of regional politics for centuries without your divine intervention. Your patronizing “we should help them” attitude reeks of savior complex, and, frankly, the Armenians deserve better than your condescending hand-wringing.

I recommend a subscription to Claude Sonnet 3.5, instead of Perplexity. Its less prolix and florid and less obviously synthetic

Does she get freebies to Taylor Swift concerts ?
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Also FPT

..As for your noble call to “help the Armenians because no one else will”—how touching. Truly, @Leon, you’re the hero Armenia never knew it needed. But here’s the thing: Armenia isn’t sitting around waiting for @Leon and the cavalry to come save them. They’ve been weathering the storms of regional politics for centuries without your divine intervention. Your patronizing “we should help them” attitude reeks of savior complex, and, frankly, the Armenians deserve better than your condescending hand-wringing.

That's needlessly acerbic.
    They could do with a break. It's not as though any western assistance has recently amounted to anything much more than hand-wringing.

Nor indeed is Leon Foreign Secretary.
    (Thank heavens.)
    I think @rcs1000 is making a nerdy technological joke

I hope he’s not being serious because he’s asked me to propose him as a member of the Groucho Club, and if this is a sincere and foolish point I will have to withdraw said proposal
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,831
    edited September 19

The PM is woefully underpaid position these days. The story doesn't seem really about the salary Sue Gray gets (that isn't OTT for the role), it appears that multiple people within government independently leaked it to a BBC journalist out of some sort of spite / factional war going on.
    Johnson - Cummings

Now

Starmer - Gray and in just a few weeks disarray and turmoil in no 10 reigns

Apparently yougov has Starmer on 22/60 (minus 38) which in statistical terms has any PM become so unpopular in this time frame then the absurd Truss ?