Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A New Era For PB! – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

"A 32-year-old mother and a man who were attacked in separate incidents over the Notting Hill Carnival weekend have died, police said. Cher Maximen, who had been at the carnival last Sunday with her three-year-old daughter, died in hospital on Saturday morning, Met Police Commander Charmain Brenyah confirmed."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c70jd57rx8jo

This is bleak and surely unsustainable. Can you really have a “carnival” where there are multiple murders and other stabbings? And endless police injuried and sexual assaults?

Its turned into something thoroughly grim. Move it to somewhere it can be better policed. Hyde park
    It was the Leeds Caribbean carnival the same weekend. As far as I'm aware, it was a peaceful event where everyone had a good time.
    I don’t know why Notting Hill has got so bleak. But it has. Clearly drugs gangs go there to settle scores and bystanders get in the way. Horrible
    The woke Met police will never get a grip on it.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    viewcode said:

Forward to our glorious new future!

Backwards to our radiant future of sunlit uplands!
    edited August 31

Am I the only deviant who prefers the oldest first vf.politicalbetting.com format?

I've only just moved over to it cos it's easier to access the most recent comments following the Vanilla change and I'm ok with it 👍
    Not on a PC, though; and on this thing anyway I have to scroll through endless More Comments to get to the newest. So unless someone can explain how to reset it in words of fewer than four letters, or point me to the instant access button, I want the newest first please

PS: but thanks everyone for trying their best, within the constraints of the software. Much appreciated.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

"A 32-year-old mother and a man who were attacked in separate incidents over the Notting Hill Carnival weekend have died, police said. Cher Maximen, who had been at the carnival last Sunday with her three-year-old daughter, died in hospital on Saturday morning, Met Police Commander Charmain Brenyah confirmed."

This is bleak and surely unsustainable. Can you really have a “carnival” where there are multiple murders and other stabbings? And endless police injuried and sexual assaults?

Its turned into something thoroughly grim. Move it to somewhere it can be better policed. Hyde park
    It was the Leeds Caribbean carnival the same weekend. As far as I'm aware, it was a peaceful event where everyone had a good time.
    I don’t know why Notting Hill has got so bleak. But it has. Clearly drugs gangs go there to settle scores and bystanders get in the way. Horrible
    No.

The gangs go there for a day off. To take a break.

This works as well as Montagues and Capulettes at the same petrol station.

https://youtu.be/SEzskNtFnIY?si=RF58UgQPqY2qkqBC
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,446
    Carnyx said:

Am I the only deviant who prefers the oldest first vf.politicalbetting.com format?

I've only just moved over to it cos it's easier to access the most recent comments following the Vanilla change and I'm ok with it 👍
    Not on a PC, though; and on this thing anyway I have to scroll through endless More Comments to get to the newest. So unless someone can explain how to reset it in words of fewer than four letters, or point me to the instant access button, I want the newest first please

PS: but thanks everyone for trying their best, within the constraints of the software. Much appreciated.
    Try
    https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/12422/a-new-era-for-pb-politicalbetting-com/p2
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    The elections in Germany tomorrow should be "interesting". There's a chance that all 3 parties in the national governing coalition could fail to reach the 5% threshold in one or both of the regions.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,699
    Carnyx said:

Go through https://vf.politicalbetting.com/ - then on the relevant discussion you can go straight to the last page and read the most recent up to 100 comments in order - or just hit "end" to get to the most recent.
    edited August 31

Carnyx said:

Try
    https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/12422/a-new-era-for-pb-politicalbetting-com/p2
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    Joe Root also closing in on most catches in a career by a non-wicketkeeper.

200 as against Dravid's 210.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    I feel like I am divorcing my own country. It’s quite odd
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Try
    THank you, but what am I looking at?
    Sorry, please ignore, got the idea now!
    Driver said:

Carnyx said:

Go through https://vf.politicalbetting.com/ - then on the relevant discussion you can go straight to the last page and read the most recent up to 100 comments in order - or just hit "end" to get to the most recent.
    Many thanks both of you!
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Met Police: "it was largely peaceful"
    Well, nobody’s going to believe that. The Met are a violent bunch.

Oh, sorry, you meant the carnival?
    The Met are ok. Not as good perhaps as the could and should be, but they have a really tough job, and they do it quite well.

I think the new commissioner is making things better too, although again he could and should be doing better. As a Cambridge mathematician I'd rather expected him to fix it in a week. Kats though, so maybe two weeks.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

It's not "a" carnival, it's always referred to as "carnival" !
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676
    Meet the new era, very similar to the old era.
    edited August 31
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

The Met are ok. Not as good perhaps as the could and should be, but they have a really tough job, and they do it quite well.

I think the new commissioner is making things better too, although again he could and should be doing better. As a Cambridge mathematician I'd rather expected him to fix it in a week. Kats though, so maybe two weeks.
    It's a time-honoured sport to bash the Met. And frequently they deserve it.

In the otherwise undistinguished sitcom The Thin Blue Line, Inspector Fowler talks about how a match against Arsenal will be jointly policed in case of trouble by his squad and the Met. He paused and said crossly, 'and a very stupid bunch of ill-mannered louts they are! I anticipate quite appalling behaviour!'

Constable: 'I think that's unfair sir. Most supporters are genuine fans there to watch the match, not cause trouble.'

Fowler: 'I wasn't talking about the fans, I was talking about the Metropolitan Police.'
  • Leon said:

Much of the rot was there, happening under a series of hapless conservative governments playing games thinking the important decisions were been made by them in Westminster.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,226
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Don't worry all the criminals will be arrested, tried and jailed within a few days.

It seems that the authorities can manage to do that when they wish to.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,226
    So when does this slumlord lose the Labour whip ?

A Labour MP has said he is "shocked" and "profoundly sorry" after it was revealed flats he rents out had black mould and ant infestations.

Jas Athwal, who became the MP for Ilford South in July, said his tenants had been "let down", and pledged that repairs and maintenance work would be completed "swiftly".

He also said he had not previously been aware of the problems by highlighted in a BBC report due to the properties being managed by an agency.

Paul Canal, Conservative leader for Redbridge Council, in north-east London, called for Mr Athwal to resign as a councillor "immediately", describing the conditions of properties owned by Mr Athwal as a "disgrace".

"His role as a councillor is untenable," Mr Canal said.

He said he had called for Redbridge Council to investigate whether Mr Athwal had breached its code of conduct, echoing a similar call made by Andrew Boff, a Conservative member of the London Assembly.

Mr Athwal owns 15 properties, making him the biggest landlord in the House of Commons. The BBC found flats owned by him contained dirty communal areas, lights that did not work and fire alarms hanging loose from the ceiling.

The Labour MP also admitted that his flats did not have the correct property licences under a scheme he introduced as the leader of Redbridge Council.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c9qgd4q49gvo
    The weather forecast for Lords was rubbish. A few days ago it was supposed to be sunny all weekend.
    Andy_JS said:

The weather forecast for Lords was rubbish. A few days ago it was supposed to be sunny all weekend.

I've just put my washing out, so I suppose I should have expected it to start raining.
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

It's a time-honoured sport to bash the Met. And frequently they deserve it.

In the otherwise undistinguished sitcom The Thin Blue Line, Inspector Fowler talks about how a match against Arsenal will be jointly policed in case of trouble by his squad and the Met. He paused and said crossly, 'and a very stupid bunch of ill-mannered louts they are! I anticipate quite appalling behaviour!'

Constable: 'I think that's unfair sir. Most supporters are genuine fans there to watch the match, not cause trouble.'

Fowler: 'I wasn't talking about the fans, I was talking about the Metropolitan Police.'
    I'm not entirely sure you can claim random historical license and freedom of the city of London whilst pontificating from some Welsh hill village though! Next thing you know people in London will be claiming sovereignty over your realms! Ah, ...
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,069
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

It's not "a" carnival, it's always referred to as "carnival" !
    Sooner ot later the philosophy of language and metaphysics rears its ugly head. "Is it possible for 'Notting Hill Carnival' and 'A Carnival at Notting Hill' to have both a different meaning and a different reference? Discuss with reference to Frege's Sinn und Bedeutung"

Leon said:

Much of the rot was there, happening under a series of hapless conservative governments playing games thinking the important decisions were been made by them in Westminster.
    But it’s eerily like falling out of love and realising a relationship is over. You go from overly praising to overly criticising. I remember in that divorce movie from decades ago “the wars of the roses” the female character says to her soon-to-be-ex-husband “I now dislike you so much the way you eat makes me want to kill you”

The way Britain eats makes me want to kill Britain. This is an overreaction. Me and the UK have had a kind of trial separation and I’m generally happier away from the marital home so it’s likely time to make it permanent

A Labour MP has said he is "shocked" and "profoundly sorry" after it was revealed flats he rents out had black mould and ant infestations.

Jas Athwal, who became the MP for Ilford South in July, said his tenants had been "let down", and pledged that repairs and maintenance work would be completed "swiftly".

He also said he had not previously been aware of the problems by highlighted in a BBC report due to the properties being managed by an agency.

Paul Canal, Conservative leader for Redbridge Council, in north-east London, called for Mr Athwal to resign as a councillor "immediately", describing the conditions of properties owned by Mr Athwal as a "disgrace".

He said he had called for Redbridge Council to investigate whether Mr Athwal had breached its code of conduct, echoing a similar call made by Andrew Boff, a Conservative member of the London Assembly.

Mr Athwal owns 15 properties, making him the biggest landlord in the House of Commons. The BBC found flats owned by him contained dirty communal areas, lights that did not work and fire alarms hanging loose from the ceiling.

The Labour MP also admitted that his flats did not have the correct property licences under a scheme he introduced as the leader of Redbridge Council.

Hmmmm

Also I’m done with supporting Britain’s gambling habit and cosmetics bills
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368
    @leon did you see one of you favourite words started to trend as a description of Trump a few weeks back.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866

kjh said:

ydoethur said:

Am I the only person who actually likes Vanilla?

I mean, it’s not perfect but it’s fairly straightforward and does what most people want it to.

If you struggle with comments in comment order, just scroll to the foot of the page, surely?

Yeah that isn't the issue for me. Both on my PC and phone I have to reload the comments after so many so if there are 1000 comments it takes me umpteen reloads and ages to get to the latest comment. I would rather not move and have to learn new stuff, but it now takes me ages just to see the new comments each time, unless we limit each thread to 100 comments.

Oh and on the last thread @rsc1000 autocorrect or bad typing changed the word 'near' to 'need'. So a request asking you whether you were near a solution came out a bit like a command from me demanding you implement one tout de suite - Sorry.
    Try
    https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/12422/a-new-era-for-pb-politicalbetting-com#latest
    I think the only item I find tricky on Vanilla is to navigate to read the entire post, whicch requires 3 or 4 clicks.

So I tend to read the politicalbetting.com home link and then click on the individual deep link form the 1st comment (which is on the comment timestamp) to drop me straight into Vanilla.

I like that Vanilla drops me back in at the point I left if I am spelunking through the comments.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    Yvette Cooper is aiming for a half-way house betweeen "the Notting Hill Carnival" and the pretentious "Carnival", favoured by Sadiq Khan, by dropping the article but keeping the location:

https://x.com/yvettecoopermp/status/1829913511155077595
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084

The Labour MP has served his purpose which was to replace lefty Sam Tarry MP who was kicked out by Keir Starmer for having an opinion and being besties with Angela Rayner.

Others might, but I'm not sure how many are deviants.
    Jonathan said:

@leon did you see one of you favourite words started to trend as a description of Trump a few weeks back.

Seekyservs???? I knew it would take off

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Here are the stats for previous years.

Stabbings by year:

2017 12 stabbings no fatal stabbings
    2018 7 stabbings no fatal stabbings
    2019 18 stabbings no fatal stabbings
    2022 7 stabbings including one fatal stabbing
    2023 10 stabbings no fatal stabbings

https://www.met.police.uk/foi-ai/metropolitan-police/disclosure-2023/november-2023/notting-hill-carnival-data/
    MattW said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Stabbings by year:

https://www.met.police.uk/foi-ai/metropolitan-police/disclosure-2023/november-2023/notting-hill-carnival-data/
    Have they thought of having “no stabbings” and “no murders” at their “carnival”?

Might be more fun
    Leon said:

Do we get alimony ? :wink:
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    Leon said:

You've lost me now.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    Speaking of which, Mad Nad's been trending on TwiX.

How ill-judged of Angela Rayner..utterly adolescent of her – to have thought it was a good idea to party like it's 1999..she's the deputy prime minister..after Labour's announcements..many fear for the future.
    https://x.com/NadineDorries/status/1829797767754952892

Other TwiXers keep mentioning IACGMOOH 2012 for some reason, along with Nad's year-long Commons silence after the peerage that never was.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    Only last year, Sadiq Khan was still calling it "the Notting Hill Carnival". Is the new pretentious naming part of a deliberate strategy to defend against calls to cancel it?

https://x.com/MayorofLondon/status/1682013815519555584
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,904
    I just asked AI to roast me based on my tweets over the last 10 years and...

Ouch. Vindictive, accurate and deeply funny. "Clipboard warrior".
    MattW said:

Leon said:

No, his income must be right down if he's taking all this time off the day job to write articles for the Knapper's Gazette.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

But it’s eerily like falling out of love and realising a relationship is over. You go from overly praising to overly criticising. I remember in that divorce movie from decades ago “the wars of the roses” the female character says to her soon-to-be-ex-husband “I now dislike you so much the way you eat makes me want to kill you”

The way Britain eats makes me want to kill Britain. This is an overreaction. Me and the UK have had a kind of trial separation and I’m generally happier away from the marital home so it’s likely time to make it permanent
    You and Shamima Begum need to do a sort of swap. You get a Syrian passport and she gets her old UK one back. Everyone a winner.

How ill-judged of Angela Rayner..utterly adolescent of her – to have thought it was a good idea to party like it's 1999..she's the deputy prime minister..after Labour's announcements..many fear for the future.

Other TwiXers keep mentioning IACGMOOH 2012 for some reason, along with Nad's year-long Commons silence after the peerage that never was.

Does that absolute fucking hunt not remember she supported Johnson after all his criminal parties in lockdown?

What a piece of shit she is. Utterly without redeeming features. A stupider version of Donald Trump Jr.
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

You and Shamima Begum need to do a sort of swap. You get a Syrian passport and she gets her old UK one back. Everyone a winner.
    Why does anyone win if Shamima Begum returns to the UK?
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368
    Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Seekyservs???? I knew it would take off
    Nope. The womble one.
    Andy_JS said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Well, she does. I imagine a prison cell at Downview would be paradise compared to a refugee camp in Syria/Turkey/Lebannon/Iraq.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    What exactly is meant by "threaded comments"?
    Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Stabbings by year:

Have they thought of having “no stabbings” and “no murders” at their “carnival”?

Might be more fun
    Laying it on thick, here are all the 308 arrests in 2023 over the 2 days.

Off weap is Offensive Weapon. Not sure on P&B - pointed and bladed perhaps? Or possession & something?

Quite a number of violent crimes
    -----
    Total: 308

Assault Police 57
    Robbery 2
    Criminal Damage 2
    Drink drug drive 4
    Theft Person 3
    Public order 24
    Off weap P&B 71
    Theft Going Equipped 3
    Drugs 59
    Sexual Offences 20
    GBH 9
    ABH Common Assault 9
    Psychoactive drugs 2
    Other 43
  • TresTres Posts: 2,648
    It's really quite concerning. I don't think I'll be able to celebrate Christmas anymore as I just found out that sometimes crimes occur on Christmas Day.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    With reference to resurrections of bands that were once a big deal in some bygone era of yesteryear, when can we expect the Milli Vanilli comeback tour . . . with improved AI-generated fake vocals?

IMHO, trying to recapture one's lost (and clearly misspent) youth by buying over-priced, over-hyped concert tickets, is likely to be a effective as trying to squeeze oneself into the jeans you wore 30 years ago.
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,384
    Leon said:

High-maintenance girlfriend?
    MattW said:

Leon said:

Fuck no
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,544
    ydoethur said:

Does that absolute fucking hunt not remember she supported Johnson after all his criminal parties in lockdown?

What a piece of shit she is. Utterly without redeeming features. A stupider version of Donald Trump Jr.
    That's the point.

Boris (aaah) was criticised for parties, so anyone else who has fun ever again is a raging hypocrite and Boris should be returned to his rightful place in Downing Street.

Basically, every fourteen year old who has ever complained to an adult about why they aren't telling X off.

Apart from Rishi, Jeremy and Kwasi, have any prominent Conservatives done any reflection at all on why the did so badly?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    ydoethur said:

I wonder if TSE has stopped laughing at that qualifying grid yet?

Yes, thanks mostly to Everton.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,544
    Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

Fuck no
    That goes without saying, after most divorces.

ydoethur said:

That's the point.

Boris (aaah) was criticised for parties, so anyone else who has fun ever again is a raging hypocrite and Boris should be returned to his rightful place in Downing Street.

Basically, every fourteen year old who has ever complained to an adult about why they aren't telling X off.

Apart from Rishi, Jeremy and Kwasi, have any prominent Conservatives done any reflection at all on why the did so badly?
    I think that's really harsh.

I've known plenty of mature and intelligent fourteen year olds.

What exactly is meant by "threaded comments"?

Like they are on Reddit usually - replies are grouped under the original comment in an upside down tree (assuming you aren't standing on your head).
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962

Who better to comment on demeaning the office of MP than the person who served her constituents by eating kangaroo bollocks in the jungle

https://bsky.app/profile/parodypm.bsky.social/post/3l2zh3ahcm42r
    edited August 31

ydoethur said:

That's the point.

Steve Baker XMP did a thoughtful interview with the Spectator.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcrBV1JOd0Y

(Cynical comments below, but I was quite impressed - he came across as grounded and reflective about his future.)
    Then again, why would I want to leave Britain

*stares at horizon, thoughtfully*

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Well, she does. I imagine a prison cell at Downview would be paradise compared to a refugee camp in Syria/Turkey/Lebannon/Iraq.
    The people working to return her to the U.K. are quite clear that they will fight any attempt to try her.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    FF43 said:

Who better to comment on demeaning the office of MP than the person who served her constituents by eating kangaroo bollocks in the jungle

https://bsky.app/profile/parodypm.bsky.social/post/3l2zh3ahcm42r
    I get politicians love to seize an opportunity to undermine an opponent, and I even get that sometimes they rely on the public being forgetful of things they may have said or done in the past when they do so, but quite often it seems as though they genuinely have no recollection of their own previous words or actions which would reveal a hypocritical statement.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    edited August 31

With reference to resurrections of bands that were once a big deal in some bygone era of yesteryear, when can we expect the Milli Vanilli comeback tour . . . with improved AI-generated fake vocals?

IMHO, trying to recapture one's lost (and clearly misspent) youth by buying over-priced, over-hyped concert tickets, is likely to be a effective as trying to squeeze oneself into the jeans you wore 30 years ago.

It's the performers who are struggling to fit into 30 year old jeans. They are their own tribute bands.
    Andy_JS said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Joke (of course) but since you ask, the UK wins as its current position, upheld by the SC, who got it wrong, is that it's OK to say 'Bangladesh can have her so we needn't even though she is a UK subject' and this position is shameful and pitiful, and makes us look like lawless barbarians with contempt for our obligations.
    Tres said:

It's really quite concerning. I don't think I'll be able to celebrate Christmas anymore as I just found out that sometimes crimes occur on Christmas Day.

Tempted to say I wouldn't be seen dead at the Notting Hill Carnival, but that would be tasteless. :smile:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The people working to return her to the U.K. are quite clear that they will fight any attempt to try her.
    Thankfully that decision is not in their gift.
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Joke (of course) but since you ask, the UK wins as its current position, upheld by the SC, who got it wrong, is that it's OK to say 'Bangladesh can have her so we needn't even though she is a UK subject' and this position is shameful and pitiful, and makes us look like lawless barbarians with contempt for our obligations.
    I'm fine with people making the moral argument, so long as they do not conflate with that of the legal arguments (the law can be an ass after all), which several of the lawyers up to this point were doing, clearly to poor effect. Whether there should be the power to do what was done is a far more interesting question than whether the power exists and whether it was lawfully applied in this case (the answer to which is apparently yes).

But I doubt the government will be eager to start restricting its powers in this area, regardless of any future stance on this case.

Leon said:

You've lost me now.
    £8bn a year on workless migrants (possibly as high as £20bn). £4-7bn on asylum seekers. Annually.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13794959/Record-numbers-migrants-living-Britain-jobless.html

Pointless pointless waste of money and the government seems unable to stop spending this and the bills are going up - likewise our taxes

I really don’t mind paying a lot of tax to support hardworking Brits who get sick or those who’ve fallen on tough times. That’s fair

But this???? What sane person agrees to spend their tax on this?
    Leon said:

Would such sights have the same power without some time spent under an iron-grey sky at 15c in August?
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Would such sights have the same power without some time spent under an iron-grey sky at 15c in August?
    I’ll be back for a week or two around Christmas new year. A few days of the British January should suffice. Don’t you think?

The Labour MP has served his purpose which was to replace lefty Sam Tarry MP who was kicked out by Keir Starmer for having an opinion and being besties with Angela Rayner.
    Wasn't he also a hardcore Corbynite? Can't have helped his case for selection in the new era (as I understand it there was a lot of bad blood about him winning out over Athwal in the first place).
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I’ll be back for a week or two around Christmas new year. A few days of the British January should suffice. Don’t you think?
    At least 1 week of British April and a weekend in 'summer' to get the full effect I think.
    algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Apparently, actual witness to her crimes aren’t good witnesses. Because they might be a bit biased against ISIS….

And charging her with War Crimes would be naughty or something.

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Apparently, actual witness to her crimes aren’t good witnesses. Because they might be a bit biased against ISIS….

Is it really true they want to bring her back and NOT put her on trial?

That’s absolutely stupefying

ydoethur said:

That's the point.

Plenty of Tories have done a lot of reflection, they're just not reflections that align with your views.
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Is it really true they want to bring her back and NOT put her on trial?

That’s absolutely stupefying
    Yup.

See the crop of 50s & 60s French lawyers who made a specialty of defending Vichy officials.

And before someone say “cab rank” the same lawyers refused to represent Jews and Resistance members in bringing charges against Vichy officials.

algarkirk said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Tbf, the job of a lawyer is to try and get their client off, or failing that, to mitigate the sentence as much as possible, within the bounds of the law (which is where Womble Bond Dickinson and Rudy Giuliani have gone more than a little bit wrong recently).

That doesn't mean they will succeed.

I remember Rose West's lawyer trying to argue the case against his client was weak and circumstantial in the aftermath of Fred West's suicide. Neither the judge nor the jury agreed with him, and she's still sitting in prison.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258
    Leon said:

Leon said:

You've lost me now.
    £8bn a year on workless migrants (possibly as high as £20bn). £4-7bn on asylum seekers. Annually.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13794959/Record-numbers-migrants-living-Britain-jobless.html

Pointless pointless waste of money and the government seems unable to stop spending this and the bills are going up - likewise our taxes

I really don’t mind paying a lot of tax to support hardworking Brits who get sick or those who’ve fallen on tough times. That’s fair

Er, you're straying into politics, I think?
    edited August 31
    On a piece of good news wrt rentals - the 10 year Fire Angel CO alarm I ordered whilst commenting last night just arrived from Amazon.

£21.00 delivered. £1.75 per annum to protect a family in case the newly installed replacement boiler has a problem. The basic stuff is cheap, and not difficult.

ydoethur said:

That's the point.

Plenty of Tories have done a lot of reflection, they're just not reflections that align with your views.
    For Nad I think she's just mad that she is Nadine Dorries XMP, rather than Nadine Dorries XMP, Baroness of Bedfordshire.
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

You've lost me now.

I believe there is a non-trivial chance this Labour government will run out of money and face a bond-market crisis
    MattW said:

On a piece of good news wrt rentals - the 10 year Fire Angel CO alarm I ordered whilst commenting last night just arrived from Amazon.

£21.00 delivered. £1.75 per annum. The basic stuff is cheap, and not difficult.

I have a google nest (owners before left them) fire alarm - all it really does is ruin my cooking of steaks.
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

That's the point.

(Cynical comments below, but I was quite impressed - he came across as grounded and reflective about his future.)
    Quite an unusual guy, Steve Baker. Talks well, clearly has integrity, yet there's a sense of something awry there. I can imagine him doing lots of good deeds and then every so often making a truly enormous error of judgment.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757
    edited August 31
    Elissa Slotkin, next Senator for Michigan.
    https://x.com/notcapnamerica/status/1829642670056370304
    I don’t know who he is but why did he look like he was about to cry?
    edited August 31
    kinabalu said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

That's the point.

Quite an unusual guy, Steve Baker. Talks well, clearly has integrity, yet there's a sense of something awry there. I can imagine him doing lots of good deeds and then every so often making a truly enormous error of judgment.
    Someone I might enjoy having an argument with over a pub lunch. I think he could develop very interestingly if exposed to different environments that challenge his assumptions.
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

You've lost me now.

I believe there is a non-trivial chance this Labour government will run out of money and face a bond-market crisis
    They have already run out of money, but the Tories had too. The bond markets really are in the long told bank manager position whereby they've lent so much that it's their problem. Even in the 1980s there were suggestions that the US should default on its debt simply as the most economically sound path. Now, it's sort of nuts that the US isn't just defaulting. The UK is in a much weaker position, but I'd not be at all surprised if defaulting made some sense.

Unfortunately, what all nations need to do is print some money, use it to pay off much of their bond debt, and hide under the bedsheets for a while.

(You very definitely don't want to pay off all debt though, as an efficient bond market in your debt is a really good thing)
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

That's the point.

For Nad I think she's just mad that she is Nadine Dorries XMP, rather than Nadine Dorries XMP, Baroness of Bedfordshire.
    Given what it takes (or more accurately doesn’t take) to be ennobled these days, I don't blame her. But I wasn't really defending Dorries or her attack on Rayner, I was just mentioning that a lot of reflection is happening on the Tories' defeat, especially (as one might expect) from the right, which is understandably furious. I suspect that the only 'reflection' that would pass muster to Stuart would be that which ends in a damascene conversion to the cause of centrism and a sincere promise never to stray into naughty right-wingery again.
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

You've lost me now.

At least a 10% chance. The numbers aren't rosy. Same if by some miracle the Cons had got back. In fact Truss had a go at accelerating things. That was pretty close.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757
    This guy has some serious issues with women.

Unearthed video: JD Vance attacks women “who can't have kids” because they “passed the biological period when it was possible” as “miserable” people who “have no real value system” and struggle to find “meaning”
    https://x.com/KamalaHQ/status/1829920065417785673
  • theProletheProle Posts: 1,097
    edited August 31

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

And they wonder why people talk about two tier policing - there were more murders at Notting Hill (3 and counting?) than in all the EDL thuggery after Southport (zero). Despite the one with the murders apparently being "largely peaceful" and the other branded as outrageous violence, for which people who were little more than drunken bystanders are getting sent down.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279
    edited August 31
    MattW said:

£21.00 delivered. £1.75 per annum to protect a family in case the newly installed replacement boiler has a problem. The basic stuff is cheap, and not difficult.

Unless it's comingled, fake stock:

https://www.redpoints.com/blog/amazon-commingled-inventory-management/

Much as Iove Amazon, that's one thing I'd buy in person. Also laptop chargers and other power leads.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,458
    Omnium said:

MattW said:

£21.00 delivered. £1.75 per annum. The basic stuff is cheap, and not difficult.

I have a google nest (owners before left them) fire alarm - all it really does is ruin my cooking of steaks.
    Yes, they are terrible for that. Although at least you know you have the fat (just about) hot enough when they go off.
    kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I'm fine with people making the moral argument, so long as they do not conflate with that of the legal arguments (the law can be an ass after all), which several of the lawyers up to this point were doing, clearly to poor effect. Whether there should be the power to do what was done is a far more interesting question than whether the power exists and whether it was lawfully applied in this case (the answer to which is apparently yes).

But I doubt the government will be eager to start restricting its powers in this area, regardless of any future stance on this case.
    One of the tests for this government is this case. If it is populist and without scruple and mercy it will continue this farce. If it is a grown up government of a civilized nation it will rethink and rescind. None of this should be taken as sympathy for the abominations of ISIS supporters or their fellow travellers.
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

You've lost me now.

They have already run out of money, but the Tories had too. The bond markets really are in the long told bank manager position whereby they've lent so much that it's their problem. Even in the 1980s there were suggestions that the US should default on its debt simply as the most economically sound path. Now, it's sort of nuts that the US isn't just defaulting. The UK is in a much weaker position, but I'd not be at all surprised if defaulting made some sense.

Unfortunately, what all nations need to do is print some money, use it to pay off much of their bond debt, and hide under the bedsheets for a while.

(You very definitely don't want to pay off all debt though, as an efficient bond market in your debt is a really good thing)
    Yes it's not all one way. Govts need bond markets and bond markets need Govt bonds. They'd be sat there fiddling their fingers otherwise.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    MattW said:

Tres said:

Tempted to say I wouldn't be seen dead at the Notting Hill Carnival, but that would be tasteless. :smile:
    I have been a few times. It's great fun and with massive crowds always a bit of trouble after dark. Great music, food and vibes, just need to be a bit watchful, like in any heaving crowd in an edgy major city.

carnforth said:

MattW said:

Unless it's comingled, fake stock:

https://www.redpoints.com/blog/amazon-commingled-inventory-management/

Much as Iove Amazon, that's one thing I'd buy in person. Also laptop chargers and other power leads.
    No - branded, sealed and a model I use normally, so I'm happy with it
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

You've lost me now.

It has been theorised that Larry Fink of Black Rock (an entity that owns shares in every single FTSE 100 campany) decided to hammer UK bonds till the Truss Government fell. I have no evidence for that, and it may or may not be true, but nevertheless, the idea of 'the markets' as impartial measuring automatons that flick to 'bad egg' when they see a damaging fiscal event is extremely gauche. Markets consist of powerful institutions and people with political aims, not just a shoal of small investors.

That's why I have a hunch you'll find the bond markets a lot, lot kinder to Reeves' overspending than they were to Truss' tax cuts. Even if the projected net result of the former is worse than the projected net result of the former.
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

You've lost me now.

At least a 10% chance. The numbers aren't rosy. Same if by some miracle the Cons had got back. In fact Truss had a go at accelerating things. That was pretty close.
    At some point the policy of reducing debt as a % of GDP in the fifth year from 'now' ('now' going forward 12 months every year, ie, never, I am not making this up) by continuing to borrow an additional £100bn+ per annum and of course not paying any of it back will come home to roost. (USA might take longer, but it must happen one day).
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,458

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

You've lost me now.

It has been theorised that Larry Fink of Black Rock (an entity that owns shares in every single FTSE 100 campany) decided to hammer UK bonds till the Truss Government fell. I have no evidence for that, and it may or may not be true, but nevertheless, the idea of 'the markets' as impartial measuring automatons that flick to 'bad egg' when they see a damaging fiscal event is extremely gauche. Markets consist of powerful institutions and people with political aims, not just a shoal of small investors.

That's why I have a hunch you'll find the bond markets a lot, lot kinder to Reeves' overspending than they were to Truss' tax cuts. Even if the projected net result of the former is worse than the projected net result of the former.
    TRUSS was clearly wronged.

Can she return?

There are many who think she has unfinished business.

Interesting.
    MattW said:

kinabalu said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

That's the point.

Someone I might enjoy having an argument with over a pub lunch. I think he could develop very interestingly if exposed to different environments that challenge his assumptions.
    He is the only Tory MP (now ex of course) I have listened to who understood what were the leadership qualities the new Tory leader would need. This is an almost unconsidered matter but is crucial.
    algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

You've lost me now.

At some point the policy of reducing debt as a % of GDP in the fifth year from 'now' ('now' going forward 12 months every year, ie, never, I am not making this up) by continuing to borrow an additional £100bn+ per annum and of course not paying any of it back will come home to roost. (USA might take longer, but it must happen one day).
    Yes I'm a little bit Trad on this matter of national debt. I'd like to see it coming down. I believe in tax and spend not borrow and spend.