Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A New Era For PB! – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    Starmer’s crusade goes on:

https://x.com/politlcsuk/status/1829998531333222814

NEW: The government is set to give councils more powers to stop takeaways opening near schools in a bid to tackle child obesity
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907

nico679 said:

MaxPB said:

nico679 said:

There wouldn’t be the need for public service cuts if we had stayed in the EU .

So I suggest those who were so happy to vote Leave should be happy to pay for what they wanted as in extra tax to help fund those services .

Yes because the EU economy has been doing brilliantly, -0.1% for Germany last go around was it?
    The facts are the facts no matter how much Leavers want to deny reality . Sticking up barriers to your biggest trading partner is economic stupidity .
    So exactly how would we have got better growth when the rest of Europe is suffering worse growth than we are? You guys are still so desperate to pin everything on Brexit even when it is blindingly obvious that it is not the economic disaster you so desperately wanted so you could be proved right.
    I didn’t say it was an economic disaster. Growth in the UK before we joined the EEC was poor. The UK has done well out of being in that and then the EU . People can defend Brexit in other areas but economically I’m sorry they just need to admit it hasn’t been a success.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

What really attracts me to move to Sardinia is that we could get a massive 5 bedroom villa with a swimming pool and pool house for half the price of our London house. Plus my wife and I both speak Italian and Italy just came joint top of the European personal freedom index.

Sardinian food is weird tho. They like sheep’s brains and maggot cheese

Tbh it wouldn’t be the first place I’d move in Italy
    Yeah it is a bit random, but it doesn't get unbearably hot in the summer like Sicily which has undeniably better food, I also think school options are better in Sardinia than Sicily. There's a couple of very good international private schools that are run by Brits.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    carnforth said:

MaxPB said:

What really attracts me to move to Sardinia is that we could get a massive 5 bedroom villa with a swimming pool and pool house for half the price of our London house. Plus my wife and I both speak Italian and Italy just came joint top of the European personal freedom index.

You wouldn't find the corruption wearing on the soul? Easier if you're not poor, of course. But freedom might not feel so free where there are high levels of corruption - or so I imagine.
    I’ve been tempted to move full time to France: better weather, pretty towns and villages, nice roundabouts, good infrastructure, and a language I can understand. But every country has its downsides. In France there’s a certain dourness and lack of dynamism that seems to have taken over, and it’s a society not entirely at ease with itself. I still find myself drawn back to London.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    edited August 31
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

I feel like I am divorcing my own country. It’s quite odd

I have to say I've been feeling similarly over the last couple of weeks. Last time my wife wanted us to to leave the country I put up a valiant defence and managed to convince her that it wasn't the right moment to go. We were talking today and she asked me why I have seemed so down over the past few weeks and after talking about it at length I've realised that the UK is not a country I recognise any more. Hard work isn't rewarded, it is penalised and not only is it penalised that attitude has begun to pervade among the public at large.

I don't see how we get out of this either so the option left to me is to make own way out. Right now Sardina and Ticino both look very tempting. I worry for future generations in the UK, the attitude that success and wealth are seen as evil or bad is going to drown the country in debt and failure. It's going to take a big shock to right the ship or, without one, I fear the slow death and the UK becomes the next version if Argentina. A formerly wealthy nation that was unable to live within it's means and chased all the talented people away by punishing them with high tax to pay for endless welfare/salaries of a client state.
    Another Brexiteer buggering off after shitting the bed for the rest of us.

And not even apologising for doing so.
    Which part of his analysis is attributable to Brexit?
    The economic failure.
    Economic failure I can just about live with, it's the clear punishment of risk and hard work that Labour are about push forwards with that is the decision maker. I mean I stuck it out last time when the economy was looking pretty shaky. We're the only country in Europe that punishes people for earning more than £100k, if CGT does rise to income tax rates it will be a punishment of risk taking at a time when we need for more risk taking by entrepreneurs and domestic investors. All of the public sector pay rises is creating a permanent state Labour client state alongside the 3-5m people who don't want to work sitting on benefits. As I said, it's the attitude of the country that seems to have swung very badly in favour of idleness and people trying to live with their hands in someone else's pocket, and in this case mine and millions of others like me.
    Yep, that nihilistic Brexit autarky from the "Red Wall" that you were so keen to cry crocodile tears over and promise an undelivered "levelling up".

You made this bed, then refuse to lie in it.
    How does giving train drivers a huge payrise help investment in the north? Or giving junior doctors their giant bribe do it? The government is hugely increasing it's current spending at the expense of future investment, the exactly opposite of what needs to be done. It's Labour that has chosen to prioritise today's client state by borrowing from my children's future.

And again, it's the attitude that's the issue. The UK is becoming anti-success. It started under the Tories when Theresa May won and brought in her idiotic policies, Boris played a poor hand badly with COVID and I think Rishi/Hunt tried hard to reverse some of the nonsense that May introduced but it was too late by then. Labour is now putting those policies from Theresa May into overdrive. Successful people will become targets for tax, risk taking will be discouraged and punished with punitive tax rates and jobs will start to move. Not just any jobs either but high yield, high productivity jobs in tech and finance that the UK has done well to cultivate for the last 20-30 years.
    Yes, the government that you voted for these last decade has left the country in a piss-poor state, not least with its "fuck
    business" and "we have had
    enough of experts" Brexit
    leadership.
    One Starmer has changed
    nothing so far, indeed that is
    behind his sinking popularity, but
    the sulking loser Brexiters are
    throwing their toys out of the
    pram.

There is nothing less patriotic
    than a Brexiteer feeling for his
    wallet. He doesn't give a damn
    about his fellow citizens.
    One of my father's friends was a
    staunch Remainer and hates
    Brexit. Yet he is already sick to death of the Starmer government's tax rises, anti entrepreneur, pro union attitude and its attacks on pensioners income
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

I have to say I've been feeling similarly over the last couple of weeks. Last time my wife wanted us to to leave the country I put up a valiant defence and managed to convince her that it wasn't the right moment to go. We were talking today and she asked me why I have seemed so down over the past few weeks and after talking about it at length I've realised that the UK is not a country I recognise any more. Hard work isn't rewarded, it is penalised and not only is it penalised that attitude has begun to pervade among the public at large.

I don't see how we get out of this either so the option left to me is to make own way out. Right now Sardina and Ticino both look very tempting. I worry for future generations in the UK, the attitude that success and wealth are seen as evil or bad is going to drown the country in debt and failure. It's going to take a big shock to right the ship or, without one, I fear the slow death and the UK becomes the next version if Argentina. A formerly wealthy nation that was unable to live within it's means and chased all the talented people away by punishing them with high tax to pay for endless welfare/salaries of a client state.

The economic failure.
    Economic failure I can just about live with, it's the clear punishment of risk and hard work that Labour are about push forwards with that is the decision maker. I mean I stuck it out last time when the economy was looking pretty shaky. We're the only country in Europe that punishes people for earning more than £100k, if CGT does rise to income tax rates it will be a punishment of risk taking at a time when we need for more risk taking by entrepreneurs and domestic investors. All of the public sector pay rises is creating a permanent state Labour client state alongside the 3-5m people who don't want to work sitting on benefits. As I said, it's the attitude of the country that seems to have swung very badly in favour of idleness and people trying to live with their hands in someone else's pocket, and in this case mine and millions of others like me.
    Yep, that nihilistic Brexit autarky from the "Red Wall" that you were so keen to cry crocodile tears over and promise an undelivered "levelling up".

How does giving train drivers a huge payrise help investment in the north? Or giving junior doctors their giant bribe do it? The government is hugely increasing it's current spending at the expense of future investment, the exactly opposite of what needs to be done. It's Labour that has chosen to prioritise today's client state by borrowing from my children's future.

And again, it's the attitude that's the issue. The UK is becoming anti-success. It started under the Tories when Theresa May won and brought in her idiotic policies, Boris played a poor hand badly with COVID and I think Rishi/Hunt tried hard to reverse some of the nonsense that May introduced but it was too late by then. Labour is now putting those policies from Theresa May into overdrive. Successful people will become targets for tax, risk taking will be discouraged and punished with punitive tax rates and jobs will start to move. Not just any jobs either but high yield, high productivity jobs in tech and finance that the UK has done well to cultivate for the last 20-30 years.
    Yes, the government that you voted for these last decade has left the country in a piss-poor state, not least with its "fuck business" and "we have had enough of experts" Brexit leadership.

Starmer has changed nothing so far, indeed that is behind his sinking popularity, but the sulking loser Brexiters are throwing their toys out of the pram.

There is nothing less patriotic than a Brexiteer feeling for his wallet. He doesn't give a damn about his fellow citizens.
    I despise you and everything you believe in and represent. And the government is giving you a massive pay rise out of MY taxes and MY creativity when all you are is a fucking provincial quack

Sorry. Taking my taxes away. Oops. Who will pay now?!
    Are you standing by your Labour vote at the election?
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

The economic failure.

Yes, the government that you voted for these last decade has left the country in a piss-poor state, not least with its "fuck
    leadership.
    One Starmer has changed
    pram.

Brexit. Yet he is already sick to death of the Starmer government's tax rises, anti entrepreneur, pro union attitude and its attacks on pensioners income
    So far the announced tax rises are about a fifth of the annual fiscal drag from frozen thresholds introduced by Rishi Sunak as chancellor. A drop in the ocean.

As will be the new surprise tax rises at the budget. They are barking much more loudly than I expect the bite to be.

Which is a shame, because we have a public realm that’s falling apart at the seams and a new government too timid to do anything about it.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    "gouging" as in price gouging seems to be a phrase du jour since Kamala said it.

Now being applied to champagne council house wild ones Oasis and their ticket sales.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

The economic failure.

leadership.
    One Starmer has changed
    pram.

So far the announced tax rises are about a fifth of the annual fiscal drag from frozen thresholds introduced by Rishi Sunak as chancellor. A drop in the ocean.

As will be the new surprise tax rises at the budget. They are barking much more loudly than I expect the bite to be.

Which is a shame, because we have a public realm that’s falling apart at the seams and a new government too timid to do anything about it.
    How about cutting OpEx and increasing CapEx?
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    edited August 31
    On presidents and deficits, since you were discussing it, earlier: Article 1 of the US Constitution puts the House of Representatives in charge of taxation. So, by constitutional design, presidents are less important on deficits than is commonly believed. (I am no expert on the subject, but I believe there are some parallels in British history, that control over taxation by the House of Commons put sharp limits on the power of monarchs.)
    https://www.thefire.org/research-learn/constitution-united-states

Especially when the House of Representatives is controlled by the opposition party.

In 1994, Republicans won control of the House and the Senate. (Democrats had controlled the House since the 1954 election.) This graph shows what happened after the 1994 election: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/FYFSGDA188S

Does Clinton deserve some credit for that surplus? Sure. But so do Republican leaders Newt Gingrich and Bob Dole.

edited August 31
    MaxPB said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

The economic failure.

leadership.
    One Starmer has changed
    pram.

How about cutting OpEx and increasing CapEx?
    First thing they should do is change our ridiculous fiscal rules which seem designed to do exactly the opposite.

Cutting opex is rather easier said than done though. Look at the wailing and gnashing of teeth when they cut the universal winter fuel allowance.

NEW: The government is set to give councils more powers to stop takeaways opening near schools in a bid to tackle child obesity

Why are the focusing on this stuff in first 100 days?

Bonkers.
    TimS said:

carnforth said:

MaxPB said:

You wouldn't find the corruption wearing on the soul? Easier if you're not poor, of course. But freedom might not feel so free where there are high levels of corruption - or so I imagine.
    I’ve been tempted to move full time to France: better weather, pretty towns and villages, nice roundabouts, good infrastructure, and a language I can understand. But every country has its downsides. In France there’s a certain dourness and lack of dynamism that seems to have taken over, and it’s a society not entirely at ease with itself. I still find myself drawn back to London.
    Macron is certainly more dynamic, less prone to raise tax, more pro business and less pro union than Starmer and his government are
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    edited August 31
    RFK Jnr is now suing in North Carolina to get off the ballot after the elections board voted to refuse his request . In NY he’s suing to get on the ballot .

Ironically in NC the Dems originally wanted him out of the race . But the 3 Democrats on the elections board refused his request.

This bizarre we want him out and now in is probably because after endorsing Trump , his name on the ballot is a problem in swing states . Some GOP leaning voters might think he’s a Trump supporter so why not vote for him .

In NC Trump has another problem in the nutjob GOP candidate for governor who could cause a reverse coat tails .
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

The economic failure.

leadership.
    One Starmer has changed
    pram.

What he really means is he’s sick to death of having his pensioner benefits cut. He wants other peoples benefits cut, not his. You know, the young workshy scroungers.

Bonkers.
    Doesn’t Starmer’s wife work in occupational health?
    nico679 said:

RFK Jnr is now suing in North Carolina to get off the ballot after the elections board voted to refuse his request . In NY he’s suing to get on the ballot .

Ironically in NC the Dems originally wanted him out of the race . But the 3 Democrats on the elections board refused his request.

This bizarre we want him out and now in is probably because after endorsing Trump , his name on the ballot is a problem in swing states . Some GOP leaning voters might think he’s a Trump supporter so why not vote for him .

In NC Trump has another problem in the nutjob GOP candidate for governor who could cause a reverse coat tails .

The madness just gets madder.

Bonkers.
    Because it doesn’t cost much money. They can’t afford the other more important stuff.
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

The economic failure.

leadership.
    One Starmer has changed
    pram.

Capital gains tax, inheritance tax, council tax will all go up in the autumn, maybe a wealth tax too.

The income tax and national insurance thresholds will remain frozen as well
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

The economic failure.

leadership.
    One Starmer has changed
    pram.

Capital gains tax, inheritance tax, council tax will all go up in the autumn, maybe a wealth tax too.

The income tax and national insurance thresholds will remain frozen as well
    You should get a job as a tax policy guru.

Bonkers.
    Doesn’t Starmer’s wife work in occupational health?
    What's that got to do with take aways?

TimS said:

Bonkers.
    Because it doesn’t cost much money. They can’t afford the other more important stuff.
    Well they can but they have imposed stupid fiscal rules on themselves that most economists think are pointless politicking with no actual basis in economics.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,648
    MaxPB said:

Tres said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

The economic failure.

Yes, the government that you voted for these last decade has left the country in a piss-poor state, not least with its "fuck business" and "we have had enough of experts" Brexit leadership.

Starmer has changed nothing so far, indeed that is behind his sinking popularity, but the sulking loser Brexiters are throwing their toys out of the pram.

There is nothing less patriotic than a Brexiteer feeling for his wallet. He doesn't give a damn about his fellow citizens.
    My net rate of tax last year was 42%. Shut the fuck up about not giving a damn. It's people like you that make me want to leave the country. Your attitude is the problem.
    No one cares how much tax you pay.
    Maybe not, though roughly my tax contribution to the country paid for 3.5 nurses in the NHS, or 2 doctors, or 5 care workers. My daughter gets no funding for nursery so we're not in the education system and my family has private healthcare so we don't use the NHS much at all. There are many, many thousands of families just like mine making the same kind of decisions right now, high earners are fleeing the country and you might say good riddance but then it's people like you and attitudes like yours that are driving force for successful people deciding they've had enough of being treated like punching bags.
    you are a strong sufferer of main character syndrome. if you want to emigrate, own it, don't blame someone else
  • TresTres Posts: 2,648
    Cookie said:

Tres said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

The economic failure.

My net rate of tax last year was 42%. Shut the fuck up about not giving a damn. It's people like you that make me want to leave the country. Your attitude is the problem.
    No one cares how much tax you pay.
    See, this attitude is exactly the problem. "Rich people can bugger off." Which makes it rather harder to pay for things.
    i'm also a rich person, i'm just not an whiny asswipe about it
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,098

Bonkers.
    Absolutely no political antennae.

If the Tories can get behind Cleverly or Jenrick, they should be winning by elections by 2026!
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279
    TimS said:

Bonkers.
    I'm not rich, but the government are welcome to close or means test the Lifetime ISA and stop giving me £1000 a year for nothing. There's a freebie for Starmer.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

The economic failure.

leadership.
    One Starmer has changed
    pram.

Have they raised any taxes yet?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,969
    Test
    edited August 31
    Nigelb said:

Everyone seems to be getting awfully excited about polls, four and a half years before the next election.

Very odd.

It would be except for the fact that polls are one of the main things we usually discuss on this particular site regardless of anything else. 😊
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572
    I thought Iowa was boring, until we reached Nebraska.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,550
    nico679 said:

If Harris loses PA but then wins the election because the GOP ratfuck blows up in their faces in NC then that would just be too perfect.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,057

At this rate he will be appointing someone to check under the bed before they switch the big light off, and somebody to check if people have flushed after a big poo.
    viewcode said:

At this rate he will be appointing someone to check under the bed before they switch the big light off, and somebody to check if people have flushed after a big poo.
    His new deal with Europe will be a contract to import German shelf toilets.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,727

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

The economic failure.

leadership.
    One Starmer has changed
    pram.

You're telling us the won't? That's great to hear...
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866

Riddle me this: bar staff will be expected to police the new no smoking in pub gardens but retail staff - as was discussed at length earlier - are told not to get involved and stop any shop lifting or intervene in any way.

Do pub customers routinely threaten violence to pub staff, and to attack them with dirty needles?

Publicans have a legal duty around ensuring the Health & Safety of their customers, and I would just see it as part of that.

• MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    TimS said:

carnforth said:

MaxPB said:

How would your tax situation compare?
    "Stop testing children on times tables, unions tell ministers
    Teachers demand grammar exams are also stripped back to ‘curb student anxiety’"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/08/31/stop-testing-children-on-times-tables-unions-tell-ministers/
    edited September 1

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

The economic failure.

leadership.
    One Starmer has changed
    pram.

Far be it for me to speak on behalf of Reeves, but even your low tax, low energy Conservative Government had they won the election would be looking at tax rises and service cuts. Fortunately for them, they lost.

I had written you a lengthy reply but Vanilla who have a history of keeping even deleted comments disposed of my points when I allowed my phone to close as I was pondering my next comment.

Everyone should be welcome to legitimately criticise missteps by this Government. I am happy to call out the WFA fiasco, something hopefully Reeves will have resolved by the budget. However commentary on Casino's dystopian imagination, William Glenn's retweets of Farage or GB News extrapolations, much like his pro-Trump, Anti-Harris (incidentally autocorrected too antichrist!) fare are best left unread. I won't bother going into the return of the prodigal son's multiple unhinged posts from Kotor last night, suffice to say I do wonder whether PB is for me anymore, and it does seem a number of moderate posters have already voted with their feet.

Anyway, I will assure you that you'd have loved my lengthy monologue. It's a shame Vanilla decided you were not to read it.

P S. The new improved Vanilla seems to have an improved autocorrect, so apologies if I have missed any recorrections.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Also I’m done with supporting Britain’s gambling habit and cosmetics bills

You've lost me now.
    £8bn a year on workless migrants (possibly as high as £20bn). £4-7bn on asylum seekers. Annually.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13794959/Record-numbers-migrants-living-Britain-jobless.html

Pointless pointless waste of money and the government seems unable to stop spending this and the bills are going up - likewise our taxes

I really don’t mind paying a lot of tax to support hardworking Brits who get sick or those who’ve fallen on tough times. That’s fair

But this???? What sane person agrees to spend their tax on this?
    Er, you're straying into politics, I think?
    I believe there is a non-trivial chance this Labour government will run out of money and face a bond-market crisis
    It has been theorised that Larry Fink of Black Rock (an entity that owns shares in every single FTSE 100 campany) decided to hammer UK bonds till the Truss Government fell. I have no evidence for that, and it may or may not be true, but nevertheless, the idea of 'the markets' as impartial measuring automatons that flick to 'bad egg' when they see a damaging fiscal event is extremely gauche. Markets consist of powerful institutions and people with political aims, not just a shoal of small investors.

That's why I have a hunch you'll find the bond markets a lot, lot kinder to Reeves' overspending than they were to Truss' tax cuts. Even if the projected net result of the former is worse than the projected net result of the former.
    Thanks for confirming you have no fucking idea about this.

The difference is that Truss was proposing massive tax cuts and massive increase in public spending.

But I love the idea that the markets are lefties.

I have worked in this sector for over thirteen years and you are talking utter shite.

The markets in the form of Larry and BlackRock have only one objective, maximising their returns, not propping up leftie governments, which is why he does deals with Saudi Arabia and the NYC Police Association despite lefties telling him to divest.
    You're responding to something that you suppose I've said, not that I've actually said. I'm not suggesting that the relevant actors are teenage communists with Che Guevara posters in their bedrooms. Of course Black Rock are acting to maximise their bottom line - the suggestion that they wanted Truss booted is entirely based on the fact that her deregulatory agenda could have changed the economy in a fashion not conducive to their profits.

There's an interesting interview with Julian Bishop from the Brunner Investment group here: https://youtu.be/zN3QSJkn_6c?si=UxqdnHBBe5-eDy8m

One of the most depressing parts is where Bishop recalls that he made his group's displeasure at BP's plans to invest in more capacity clear to the management (the group is a major investor) - because such plans undermined the profits they could make from the high price of energy. Bishop evidently doesn't think of himself as a bad person, and he may even think he's being a good person - he speaks warmly about 'the real price of energy' - there is a convenient aligment between his wish to cut supply and price gouge the consumer, and what he sees as an environmental mission. But it's a very real example of someone in a powerful position acting against supply-side economics that would benefit consumers and the overall British economy.

I say I have no evidence that Black Rock's buying and selling during the minibudget turbulence was aimed at unseating Truss and her policies, because I don’t. But it's incredibly naive to think that they would not do so if the financial rewards were not there. Why spend several hundred thousand pounds retaining George Osborne if you're not thoroughly invested in the politics of the Tory Party?
    So we had your shilling for Putin over MH17 and Ukrainian biolabs, and now you're so incredibly desperate to clear Truss that you invent, with no evidence, a conspiracy to bring down her government.

Occam's razor applies: Truss was politically inept and made a series of unforced decisions that upset the market. The thing about this alternative is that it matches the behaviour we have seen since she was defenestrated.

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

The economic failure.

leadership.
    One Starmer has changed
    pram.

Far be it for me to speak on behalf of Reeves, but even your low tax, low energy Conservative Government had they won the election would be looking at tax rises and service cuts. Fortunately for them, they lost.

I had written you a lengthy reply but Vanilla who have a history of keeping even deleted comments disposed of my points when I allowed my phone to close as I was pondering my next comment.

Everyone should be welcome to legitimately criticise missteps by this Government. I am happy to call out the WFA fiasco, something hopefully Reeves will have resolved by the budget. However commentary on Casino's dystopian imagination, William Glenn's retweets of Farage or GB News extrapolations, much like his pro-Trump, Anti-Harris (incidentally autocorrected too antichrist!) fare are best left unread. I won't bother going into the return of the prodigal son's multiple unhinged posts from Kotor last night, suffice to say I do wonder whether PB is for me anymore, and it does seem a number of moderate posters have already voted with their feet.

Anyway, I will assure you that you'd have loved my lengthy monologue. It's a shame Vanilla decided you were not to read it.

P S. The new improved Vanilla seems to have an improved autocorrect, so apologies if I have missed any recorrections.
    Please stay.

Conservatives are going to have to shift to opposition; something the party or (IMV) their supporters have not managed well so far.

But Labourites (and lefties as a whole...) are going to have to shift away from opposition and to defence of hard decisions - a few of which will be wrong, as all governments make mistakes. I fear many Labour supporters will continue in opposition mode - against their own government, if only because it is morally purer not to compromise on hard decisions.
    Andy_JS said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/08/31/stop-testing-children-on-times-tables-unions-tell-ministers/

What a stupid idea. Tests are important, both for the kids and the school.
    edited September 1

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

The economic failure.

leadership.
    One Starmer has changed
    pram.

Please stay.

Conservatives are going to have to shift to opposition; something the party or (IMV) their supporters have not managed well so far.

But Labourites (and lefties as a whole...) are going to have to shift away from opposition and to defence of hard decisions - a few of which will be wrong, as all governments make mistakes. I fear many Labour supporters will continue in opposition mode - against their own government, if only because it is morally purer not to compromise on hard decisions.
    To be fair Jessops you have been one of the welcome voices of reason.

I think Parties of Government and individuals should be called out. WFA debacle, fair enough, made up, yet to be announced tax rises, not so much. The new Rachmanesque MP by all means, but William Glenn demanding Rayner be vilified for going to Ibiza is ridiculous.

It's been quite amenable around here of late and then the football hooligan returned home last night. Hopefully I can find better things to do with my time.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    edited September 1
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: Betfair has Verstappen 24 to win. This is not a tip, but an observation of how dramatically this season has swung. He won all but one of the first 5-6 races.

Slept atrociously, again, but given how poor my bets have been this year maybe the lack of sleep will actually improve the results...

Edited extra bit: also, Ladbrokes has a Winner Without Norris market.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

Bonkers.
    Continuity Sunak.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627

Andy_JS said:

What a stupid idea. Tests are important, both for the kids and the school.
    It's the Telegraph and unions, so it's probably BS.

The tests that really need to go are SATs, which are used by precisely nobody of any importance and written by people who've attended about sixteen of Acland-Hood's works meetings before setting pen to paper.

But those look set to stay.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757
    Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Everyone seems to be getting awfully excited about polls, four and a half years before the next election.

Very odd.

It would be except for the fact that polls are one of the main things we usually discuss on this particular site regardless of anything else. 😊
    I'll start paying attention to them ahead of the next set of local elections. Until then, there's a big betting event coming up, and the UK polls are of little interest.
    Apart perhaps from the reaction to the autumn budget.
    Betting Post

F1: rather flailed around with this but finally went for Stroll at 3 to win group 4 (Tsunoda and the Alpines). He has the car to do it.

https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2024/09/italy-pre-race-2024.html

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

The economic failure.

leadership.
    One Starmer has changed
    pram.

Please stay.

To be fair Jessops you have been one of the welcome voices of reason.

I think Parties of Government and individuals should be called out. WFA debacle, fair enough, made up, yet to be announced tax rises, not so much. The new Rachmanesque MP by all means, but William Glenn demanding Rayner be vilified for going to Ibiza is ridiculous.

It's been quite amenable around here of late and then the football hooligan returned home last night. Hopefully I can find better things to do with my time.
    Avoid late evening, and you'll probably miss most of the hooligan.
    In any event, if you do leave, please drop by occasionally. Your contributions are valued.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    I see Starmer means that we’re losing the best of us. Tragic.

https://x.com/calvinrobinson/status/1829437858777637211?s=61&t=LYVEHh2mqFy1oUJAdCfe-Q

I see Starmer means that we’re losing the best of us. Tragic.

https://x.com/calvinrobinson/status/1829437858777637211?s=61&t=LYVEHh2mqFy1oUJAdCfe-Q

Father Calvin?

There's a delicious irony if ever there was one...
    Any English professors like to weigh in ?

Trump: I'll talk about like nine different things and they all come back brilliantly together. And it's like, friends of mine that are like English professors, they say it's the most brilliant thing I've ever seen. But the fake news, they say, he rambled. It’s not rambling
    https://x.com/Acyn/status/1829628242212335747
    edited September 1
    Nigelb said:

Trump: I'll talk about like nine different things and they all come back brilliantly together. And it's like, friends of mine that are like English professors, they say it's the most brilliant thing I've ever seen. But the fake news, they say, he rambled. It’s not rambling

I think that's a beautiful example of irony.

Not perhaps the most brilliant I've ever seen. He's never encountered Stuart Dickson or Leon. But very good, nevertheless.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,252
    Nigelb said:

Oddly reminiscent of Stewart Lee.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    NEW: polling of Conservative members in The Mail on Sunday

*Prospective match-ups*

Tugendhat 44% VS Jenrick 32%

Badenoch 34% VS Jenrick 35%

Tugendhat 48% VS Patel 40%

Badenoch 38% VS Patel 29%

Jenrick 42% VS Patel 35%

Badenoch 42% VS Tugendhat 39%

https://x.com/JLPartnersPolls/status/1830123800202969120?t=eVGg77q-WjZqKzAqVylmsQ&s=19

Some slightly anomalous ones there. It's a bit rock, paper, scissors.
    Dr. Foxy, I'm re-reading Donald Kagan's history of the Peloponnesian War, during which nuance died as a credible position in the polarised factionalism. It's possible the Conservative opinion is indicative of this, regarding Reform.

However, it's worth remembering the left have long enjoyed deriding those who have a different opinion, with Never Kissed A Tory t-shirts and the current deputy PM describing them as 'scum' and refusing to apologise repeatedly before it was dragged out of her (I forget if that was before or after an MP was murdered).
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Also I’m done with supporting Britain’s gambling habit and cosmetics bills

You've lost me now.
    £8bn a year on workless migrants (possibly as high as £20bn). £4-7bn on asylum seekers. Annually.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13794959/Record-numbers-migrants-living-Britain-jobless.html

Pointless pointless waste of money and the government seems unable to stop spending this and the bills are going up - likewise our taxes

I really don’t mind paying a lot of tax to support hardworking Brits who get sick or those who’ve fallen on tough times. That’s fair

But this???? What sane person agrees to spend their tax on this?
    Er, you're straying into politics, I think?
    I believe there is a non-trivial chance this Labour government will run out of money and face a bond-market crisis
    It has been theorised that Larry Fink of Black Rock (an entity that owns shares in every single FTSE 100 campany) decided to hammer UK bonds till the Truss Government fell. I have no evidence for that, and it may or may not be true, but nevertheless, the idea of 'the markets' as impartial measuring automatons that flick to 'bad egg' when they see a damaging fiscal event is extremely gauche. Markets consist of powerful institutions and people with political aims, not just a shoal of small investors.

That's why I have a hunch you'll find the bond markets a lot, lot kinder to Reeves' overspending than they were to Truss' tax cuts. Even if the projected net result of the former is worse than the projected net result of the former.
    This is the kind of comment that makes me put my head in my hands.

The vast, vast majority of funds that Blackrock runs are tracker funds. They are passive funds that own the entire index. There is no boss making decisions: if someone puts money into the Blackrock FTSE-100 Tracker, then Blackrock buys the underlying equities. If someone sells shares in the tracker, then it sells the underlying shares.

If Blackrock - with their passive index tracker - were to do anything else, then they would be breaking the law.

That's what passive funds do.
    That is interesting to know, but I'm not sure how it's relevant. Afaics a very small minority of their bond holdings that are in managed funds with BR making the buying and selling decisions would still account for vast sums of capital. The person who expounded the idea evidently supposed this to be plenty enough to spearhead the disturbances we saw - are you prepared to declare this to be impossible?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    viewcode said:

You've got it wrong.

The toilet inspector will not allow you to flush until after a suitable amount of waste has accumulated, so as to minimize water usage.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    Off topic, and it was my topic too: i saw the movie Rush yesterday, and really enjoyed it.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676
    Foxy said:
    Interesting?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    Nigelb said:

I assume this is a direct result of his "people don't eat bacon because of windmills" ramble speech

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

You've got it wrong.

The toilet inspector will not allow you to flush until after a suitable amount of waste has accumulated, so as to minimize water usage.
    Just throw the toilet inspector in. Job's a good 'un.
  • NEW THREAD

• malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    TimS said:

Bonkers.
    Yet they can afford 10B + for the doctors and train drivers who are among the highest paid in the country , that is really bonkers.
    rcs1000 said:

Off topic, and it was my topic too: i saw the movie Rush yesterday, and really enjoyed it.

The Hunt/Lauda one released ten or so years ago? Yes, it was excellent.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Eagles: Just started the thread, and saw your first comment - why are we going to have to cancel Neil Gaiman?

Neil Gaiman accused of sexual assault by fifth woman

Neil Gaiman has been accused of sexual assault by a fifth woman, after a phone-call recording came to light of a man—alleged to be Gaiman—appearing to offer $60,000 (£45,400) to the alleged victim.

The victim alleged to Tortoise that while the author was on a book tour in the US in July 2013 he took her to a room in his tour bus with a bed, closed the door, "got on top of her, kissed her and groped her under her dress and over her breasts".

In the sixth episode of a podcast from Tortoise’s series, "Master: the allegations against Neil Gaiman", the man, alleged to be the bestselling author, is apparently heard in a phone call recording in 2022 with the woman, who is calling herself "Claire" to preserve her anonymity.

Claire claims she wrote Gaiman a letter in 2022 on the impact of his behaviour a decade earlier, when he is alleged to have assaulted her.

In the 2022 recording of the phone call, the man—alleged to be Gaiman—can be apparently heard telling Claire that he "f***** up", that his behaviour was "s****", and appears to offer to pay her a $60,000 (£45,400) "tax-free gift" to cover the cost of a decade worth of therapy.

In the podcast episode named "The Pattern", in the recording of the phone call the man is heard telling Claire: “I’m feeling that I got the wrong end of the stick... I was heartbroken seeing you that I had given you nightmares. I’m really sorry... I’m trying to make up for some of the damage.

"Would you like me to send me some money?... I’m not sure that I’m reading you... I said that bluntly but listen, you’ve got a baby on the way, and I appreciate that $500 a month over a decade is going to stack up and a lot of that must have been my fault."

According to Tortoise, five days later after the original call, the man allegedly called with a firm financial offer. "I’ve been doing a lot of thinking... and a lot of listening to what you were saying on the last call." He is apparently heard to suggest "gifting" her £15,000 each year and then a "hefty donation" to the "place you sent me a link to" [a rape crisis centre].

The pair eventually seem to agree that he will pay it to her as a lump sum. However, the rape crisis centre told Tortoise it had no record of his donation.

Gaiman’s account, according to Tortoise, is that he was "surprised" to hear that Claire been traumatised because he had thought all their interactions had been consensual and when he realised they were not, he stopped. According to Tortoise, Gaiman’s account is that he tried to initiate a kiss with Claire while they were lying on a bed at the back of the bus, but stopped when it became quickly apparent that she didn’t want one.

Gaiman first denied allegations of "non-consensual sex" and "sexual assault" reported in an investigation by Tortoise, in early July.

https://www.thebookseller.com/news/neil-gaiman-accused-of-sexual-assault-by-fifth-woman
    Huh.
    If it prevents another series of Good Omens (Series 1 - essentially a fairly faithful rewrite of the book he wrote with Terry Pratchett in the 90s - brilliant; Series 2 - Neil Gaiman alone - awful) then I'm on board.

A pity. I used to like his work last century.
    Nothing happened in Good Omens Series 2. Character interactions were a fun part of the book and series 1, but there was also shit actually going on, with real stakes.