Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Liz Truss may have lost but she isn’t forgotten – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,052
edited August 26 in General
Liz Truss may have lost but she isn’t forgotten – politicalbetting.com

This is incredible in several ways, not least of which that I don't think there is another former PM that could go entirely unrecognised through an interview.But also – mainly – because it results in the BEST IMPROVISED PUT DOWN/SEGUE EVER on television. ~SS pic.twitter.com/qsdLzRAuCa

Read the full story here

Comments

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,652
    No so much the odds slipping as the oddities slipping by?
    Unless Gloucestershire break this partnership within three overs, they’re stuffed.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,462

Sorry Luckguy but I didn't have the energy to write a proper thread this afternoon so I decided to use this.

The thread on the MP's oath of service been abandoned thanks to the exigencies of the service?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,385
    Just as Tory candidates in the BoZo election had to tie themselves to the sinking ship of Brexit, so Jenrick is required to swear allegiance to the toxic waste of the Rwanda scheme.

Tragic...
    Scott_xP said:

Just as Tory candidates in the BoZo election had to tie themselves to the sinking ship of Brexit, so Jenrick is required to swear allegiance to the toxic waste of the Rwanda scheme.

Tragic...

I'm sure he'll be very good with the repaint, though.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    LOL
  • Very good, TSE
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,279
    If I may say so (and reckon I can) Rt. Hon. Liz Truss xPM xMP looks absolutely stunning in that dress.
  • bobbobbobbob Posts: 99
    I am 100% convinced the Olympics boxing “controversy” is manufactured by Russia through their control of the IBA

Fits their playbook !
    That’s it. Glos have lost this.

Thanks ECB for stealing our coach and best bowler for your ridiculous Blundred.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,657
    To be fair, she's just a private citizen enjoying a day at the races as I do occasionally.

Matt Chapman doesn't talk to me either.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,773

If I may say so (and reckon I can) Rt. Hon. Liz Truss xPM xMP looks absolutely stunning in that dress.

One curiosity is how seldom US politicians seem to wear dresses. Kamala only seems to on formal occasions such as her inauguration or State Dinners.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,763
    Foxy said:

One curiosity is how seldom US politicians seem to wear dresses. Kamala only seems to on formal occasions such as her inauguration or State Dinners.
    Perhaps it will be Trumps new gimmick, wearing a dress for debates
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,585
    HYUFD said:
    Odd you missed this poll.

#New General Election Poll

🔵 Harris 47% (+5)
    🔴 Trump 42%
    🟡 Kennedy 6%

Last poll - 🔴 Trump +2

RMG #C - 3000 RV - 7/31
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,095
    The interviewer clearly thought 'Recognise that face from somewhere, can't be sure, just as well he didn't say 'Were you once on Corrie?' Even if the commentator knew straight away it was Truss hence the betting markets joke

HYUFD said:

🔵 Harris 47% (+5)
    🔴 Trump 42%
    🟡 Kennedy 6%

Last poll - 🔴 Trump +2

RMG #C - 3000 RV - 7/31
    Already had been posted on last thread
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,247
    FPT...
    Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

People demanding moderation of social media really mean social media should only be allowed to post what I believe....they should be honest

What I believe is that sort of absolutist ad hominem attack is not a very helpful contribution to the debate, but I wouldn't want you to be blocked from making it.
    How is it ad hominem when I didn't mention any one in particular....you for example want people to post only what you deem true, under the same system I would want them to believe is true....the two truths will often have failures to overlap....thats not ad hominem it is a simple fact of life.

Difference is I am not asking social media to delete stuff that I believe untrue
    If you’re broadcasting your opinions in a public forum I really don’t see why you cannot accept accountability for your impact. If a poster is anonymous or untraceable then the platform becomes accountable.

If you have spicy views that you want to share, why not share them in private?
    Because sometimes people want to share information that while not as you say spicy would get them sacked. For example @Ydoethur worked as a teacher....he has views on both the DFE and ofsted....if he was not anonymous and still a teacher would he still be as willing to share those views? Perhaps you think he shouldn't be able to share them?
    Possibly not, although I should add I’ve shared them very forcefully with senior staff at both theDfE and Ofsted, a corespondence they seemed not to relish.

Since, unbelievably, they didn’t understand their own safeguarding procedures or management structures as defined in the relevant policy documents it is of course understandable they were embarrassed.
    Sharing a view internally is however not seen as badly as washing the dirty laundry in public. Sadly as we have seen time and time again. Companies and the public sector both don't like the dirty laundry becoming publicly known....cf the whole post office scandal. Pretty sure fujitsu, the PO, the civil service and politicians involved would have much rather none of that became publiclly known
    Whistleblowers can still be a thing. They were before the internet. They still can be on an internet where people stand behind and take responsibility for their comments. Proper journalism would be re-empowered.

The more the debate goes on the more it seems that moving on from
    Anonymous posting in public forums is the right way to go.

Imagine a world where the trolls and the bots disappeared overnight. Glorious.
    A world in which all the dissidents and those who hold views unapproved by the government could be hounded out of public employment.
    Nah. We managed to get by before the internet. It will be fine.
    No we didn't just more scandals got swept under the rug because whistleblowers were easier to suppress
    Maybe, who knows. Let’s give it a go. The current setup is thoroughly broken and demonstrably catastrophic.
    No really lets not give it a go
    If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

Since the current set up is demonstrably a broken, toxic hellsscape manipulated by bad actors against the national interest, I reckon reform is worth a try.
    Well you might see it a toxic broken hellscape and its an opinion but thats all it is....your view
    I realise Pagan2 that you haven't been following the story, but we know disinformation on Twitter was central to a series of recent riots that have led to over 50 police officers being injured, over 100 arrests, a police car destroyed, and significant damage to several buildings. I think that counts for something more than just an opinion.
    Nigelb said:
    Putin was ex KGB, this stuff for them was par for the course
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,843
    Bill Barr says that enforcing a code of ethics on the Supreme Court would purge conservative justices. Let that argument sink in for a minute…
    https://x.com/rothforIdaho/status/1818694613068398668
    HYUFD said:

The interviewer clearly thought 'Recognise that face from somewhere, can't be sure, just as well he didn't say 'Were you once on Corrie?' Even if the commentator knew straight away it was Truss hence the betting markets joke

In terms of not being recognised, I love this anecdote about Stanley Baldwin:

https://unherd.com/2023/05/britain-needs-more-stanley-baldwins/
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,975
    Loopy Lizzie will be the gift that keeps on giving until at least 2035...

FPT...

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

People demanding moderation of social media really mean social media should only be allowed to post what I believe....they should be honest

What I believe is that sort of absolutist ad hominem attack is not a very helpful contribution to the debate, but I wouldn't want you to be blocked from making it.
    How is it ad hominem when I didn't mention any one in particular....you for example want people to post only what you deem true, under the same system I would want them to believe is true....the two truths will often have failures to overlap....thats not ad hominem it is a simple fact of life.

Difference is I am not asking social media to delete stuff that I believe untrue
    If you’re broadcasting your opinions in a public forum I really don’t see why you cannot accept accountability for your impact. If a poster is anonymous or untraceable then the platform becomes accountable.

Because sometimes people want to share information that while not as you say spicy would get them sacked. For example @Ydoethur worked as a teacher....he has views on both the DFE and ofsted....if he was not anonymous and still a teacher would he still be as willing to share those views? Perhaps you think he shouldn't be able to share them?
    Possibly not, although I should add I’ve shared them very forcefully with senior staff at both theDfE and Ofsted, a corespondence they seemed not to relish.

Since, unbelievably, they didn’t understand their own safeguarding procedures or management structures as defined in the relevant policy documents it is of course understandable they were embarrassed.
    Sharing a view internally is however not seen as badly as washing the dirty laundry in public. Sadly as we have seen time and time again. Companies and the public sector both don't like the dirty laundry becoming publicly known....cf the whole post office scandal. Pretty sure fujitsu, the PO, the civil service and politicians involved would have much rather none of that became publiclly known
    Whistleblowers can still be a thing. They were before the internet. They still can be on an internet where people stand behind and take responsibility for their comments. Proper journalism would be re-empowered.

A world in which all the dissidents and those who hold views unapproved by the government could be hounded out of public employment.
    No we didn't just more scandals got swept under the rug because whistleblowers were easier to suppress
    Maybe, who knows. Let’s give it a go. The current setup is thoroughly broken and demonstrably catastrophic.

Since the current set up is demonstrably a broken, toxic hellsscape manipulated by bad actors against the national interest, I reckon reform is worth a try.
    Well you might see it a toxic broken hellscape and its an opinion but thats all it is....your view
    I realise Pagan2 that you haven't been following the story, but we know disinformation on Twitter was central to a series of recent riots that have led to over 50 police officers being injured, over 100 arrests, a police car destroyed, and significant damage to several buildings. I think that counts for something more than just an opinion.
    So you tell me, I suspect the truth is more likely the idiots wanted an excuse to riot and do their stuff and siezed on the first excuse, just like happens in all riots like the Mark Duggan one. People who want to riot will always find a reason frankly
    Nigelb said:

Bill Barr says that enforcing a code of ethics on the Supreme Court would purge conservative justices. Let that argument sink in for a minute…

To be fair, he is right for once. Well, about three of them anyway.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,022
    bobbob said:

I am 100% convinced the Olympics boxing “controversy” is manufactured by Russia through their control of the IBA

Fits their playbook !

I don't think so. Played around with this site and I reckon there is a case to answer. The result for Khelif varies depending on what you show it. But when it gets a look at the whole body, it says male.

I put in some women who I know are definitely women, including one I thought it might struggle with, and it was 95% confident of them being women every time.

If you can find one that it gets wrong, I'll accept that it's not infallible.

https://www.nyckel.com/pretrained-classifiers/gender-detector/

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,387
    edited August 2
    Liz Truss would be well advised to do a Nick Clegg and move to the US and disappear for about 10-20 years. (Check out the latest Leading podcast). Perhaps CCHQ could have a whip round to get her a one way ticket. Her natural ability to create mayhem is surely of use to someone.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,574
    edited August 2
    I didn't know that Rachel Reeves has an MPs heating allowance of 3400 quid a yr that is not affected by the theft of the heating allowance from.Pensioners.
    Typical fffing Labour
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,589
    Pagan2 said:

FPT...

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

So you tell me, I suspect the truth is more likely the idiots wanted an excuse to riot and do their stuff and siezed on the first excuse, just like happens in all riots like the Mark Duggan one. People who want to riot will always find a reason frankly
    Idiots who want to riot will do their best to find an excuse, sure.

That doesn't mean that people who consider themselves better than idiots should make it easy for them.

And some people have done that this week.
    tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

Fits their playbook !

I don't think so. Played around with this site and I reckon there is a case to answer. The result for Khelif varies depending on what you show it. But when it gets a look at the whole body, it says male.

I put in some women who I know are definitely women, including one I thought it might struggle with, and it was 95% confident of them being women every time.

Neither appear to be a woman to me....no adams apple. However that does not preclude testosterone supplements which is why they may appear more manly
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,525
    HYUFD said:
    Aren’t Rasmussen polls well known for being in general very favourable to the GOP?
    edited August 2
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Lovely article - mostly completely new to me. From Bewdley, too, so much more rural than the author seems to realise. On the Severn, and close to Wyre, Wrekin and Malvern.

Edit: but there is a possible slight edge to it. How life at school eclipsed everything else in some people's minds. All those obits in public school mags (especially in the Great War) which listed the decedent's 2nd XI House Cricket in '02 and Fotherington-Mogg Essay Prize '21 and 2nd Strangler, Fenland '14, to the almost complete exclusion of all else. Maybe not here, though - it's too amiable for that.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,395
    "Britain is coming apart at the seams

Weeks of unrest have revealed tensions, anger and a collapse in social trust that can no longer be ignored.

Inaya Folarin Iman"

https://www.spiked-online.com/2024/08/02/britain-is-coming-apart-at-the-seams/

Pagan2 said:

FPT...

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

That doesn't mean that people who consider themselves better than idiots should make it easy for them.

How many people read something on twitter whether true or false and go "right I need to go smash up a police car" a tiny percentage probably less than 0.000001% of the population.....but yes lets use a sledgehammer to crack that nut strip everyones anonymity from them and regulate social media and you know what...they will still riot
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,053
    FPT
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Really? Go listen to the song Strange Fruit for just one example of things getting way out of hand because of hatred spread by rumours.... befre the internet.
  • bobbobbobbob Posts: 99
    edited August 2
    tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

Fits their playbook !

I 100% think so

Literslly took me a minute to put one of the most famous female athletes in the world

You can’t trust AI anyway of things like this one of the open problems in image processing is an accurately detecting different kinds of fish !!
    edited August 2

I didn't know that Rachel Reeves has an MPs heating allowance of 3400 quid a yr that is not affected by the theft of the heating allowance from.Pensioners.
    Typical fffing Labour

Not Labour (or Tories) but the Parliament itself that determines it, is it not? And who's been in majority for the last 14 years? Not Labour.

It's a point which may well deserve attention in the future, though.
    Pagan2 said:

tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

Fits their playbook !

Neither appear to be a woman to me....no adams apple. However that does not preclude testosterone supplements which is why they may appear more manly
    sorry meant to say man not woman and too late to edit
    Another rat leaves the sinking ship.

Red Bull exodus continues as man behind Max Verstappen’s controversial 2021 title exits

Jonathan Wheatley, who has been at Red Bull for 18 years, will join Audi when they enter the sport in 2026

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/2024/08/01/red-bull-max-verstappen-jonathan-wheatley-audi-horner-newey/
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,505
    edited August 2
    tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

Fits their playbook !

(Snip images)
    There's a couple of issues here: what dataset has this been trained with? Athletes - particularly in sports like boxing, will be more muscular, and hence more 'masculine'. Also, how does race and/or culture affect the results? How many asians and/or North Africans were in the dataset?

'AI' - i.e. machine learning - is really Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Edit: also note the following, as you said you used a 'whole body' photo:

"To start, upload a photograph, preferably of just a face."
    bobbob said:

tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

Fits their playbook !

I 100% think so

Literslly took me a minute to put one of the most famous female athletes in the world

You can’t trust AI anyway of things like this one of the open problems in image processing is an accurately detecting different kinds of fish !!
    Interesting, well done. May I ask who that is?
    Andy_JS said:

Weeks of unrest have revealed tensions, anger and a collapse in social trust that can no longer be ignored.

Inaya Folarin Iman"

Coo, back to the 'British Riots' already. Or did we get some in Newent that I missed?
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Lovely article - mostly completely new to me. From Bewdley, too, so much more rural than the author seems to realise. On the Severn, and close to Wyre, Wrekin and Malvern.

Edit: but there is a possible slight edge to it. How life at school eclipsed everything else in some people's minds. All those obits in public school mags (especially in the Great War) which listed the decedent's 2nd XI House Cricket in '02 and Fotherington-Mogg Essay Prize '21 and 2nd Strangler, Fenland '14, to the almost complete exclusion of all else. Maybe not here, though - it's too amiable for that.
    I was a bit surprised to see his eldest son was a Labour MP while Baldwin was in government, and it seems that Baldwin kept good relations with him.
    edited August 2
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Mind you if you were at Eton or Harrow being PM is a bit of an ordinary achievement relatively compared to say being a High Court judge, senior partner in a merchant bank, Classics Professor at Christ Church, a brain surgeon, captain of the England cricket team, world famous actor etc.

In those days too there was no TV or internet and the radio never showed faces either, so unless the PM's face was in the newspaper regularly or you attended their rallies voters may not have had much idea what they looked like and Baldwin is a not uncommon name
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,574
    Carnyx said:

Typical fffing Labour

Not Labour (or Tories) but the Parliament itself that determines it, is it not? And who's been in majority for the last 14 years? Not Labour.

It's a point which may well deserve attention in the future, though.
    It's only notable because they took it away from.Pensioners so the MPs shouldn't have it either.
    Pagan2 said:

FPT...

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

I accept that people wanting an excuse to riot and cause trouble might well find some other excuse. It is difficult to carve out how much causation lies with different factors.

Nonetheless, I suggest we can do better than just opinion when we look at social media and its effects. We have multiple reports of increasing disinformation, misinformation and hate speech on Twitter, on various topics (anti-Semitism, Russian propaganda about Ukraine, etc.). We know disinformation on Twitter had a role in the recent riots here. All this evidence counts for something.

I don't think this is an all-or-nothing situation. I'm not calling for an end to anonymous posting (as has been suggested). I'm not saying we should ban sites. Nor am I calling for all moderation to be removed other than that ordered by a judge.

I'm suggesting Twitter return to an approach they used for most of their existence, before Musk took over. I'm suggesting social media companies take a bit more responsibility for their content. Maybe slightly larger moderation teams (not much cost in terms of their revenues), plus some government support for research in this area, so we can be evidence-based.

We all enjoy being here on PB. PB has some moderation, but it's certainly not heavy-handed. I would think that experience would make us all appreciate that moderation has value and can be done without oppressing the free flow of ideas.

tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

Fits their playbook !

(Snip images)
    There's a couple of issues here: what dataset has this been trained with? Athletes - particularly in sports like boxing, will be more muscular, and hence more 'masculine'. Also, how does race and/or culture affect the results? How many asians and/or North Africans were in the dataset?

'AI' - i.e. machine learning - is really Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Edit: also note the following, as you said you used a 'whole body' photo:

"To start, upload a photograph, preferably of just a face."
    It was fine on Serena Williams and Simone Biles - but @bobbob has clearly found one where it went wrong.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,385

Another rat leaves the sinking ship.

Red Bull exodus continues as man behind Max Verstappen’s controversial 2021 title exits

Jonathan Wheatley, who has been at Red Bull for 18 years, will join Audi when they enter the sport in 2026

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/2024/08/01/red-bull-max-verstappen-jonathan-wheatley-audi-horner-newey/

To lose your chief technical officer, or your chief sporting officer, might be seen as unfortunate.

But to lose both within three months, little Mr Horney, sat in his corner sucking his thumb, might have some reflection to do.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,385
    tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

Fits their playbook !

I 100% think so

The basketballer swapped for the terrorist.
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Mind you if you were at Eton or Harrow being PM is a bit of an ordinary achievement relatively compared to say being a High Court judge, senior partner in a merchant bank, Classics Professor at Christ Church, a brain surgeon, captain of the England cricket team, world famous actor etc
    Missing the point: it's the precedence being given to classics prize, captain of Stibbington's House first XI, anykthing that happened before the 19th birthday.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,264

HYUFD said:

🔵 Harris 47% (+5)
    🔴 Trump 42%
    🟡 Kennedy 6%

Last poll - 🔴 Trump +2

RMG #C - 3000 RV - 7/31
    Do people have a view on where Kennedy will poll on the day?
    edited August 2
    Jonathan said:

Liz Truss would be well advised to do a Nick Clegg and move to the US and disappear for about 10-20 years. (Check out the latest Leading podcast). Perhaps CCHQ could have a whip round to get her a one way ticket. Her natural ability to create mayhem is surely of use to someone.

That is her plan I think, she attended the GOP convention presumably passing round CVs to DC libertarian think tanks
    edited August 2
    Andy_JS said:

Inaya Folarin Iman"

Positively Leonesque in its hyperbole.

The reality is the opposite: that social trust has significantly increased in Britain over the last two decades:

https://www.bi.team/blogs/the-quiet-boom-of-trust-inside-britain/
    edited August 2

HYUFD said:
    Aren’t Rasmussen polls well known for being in general very favourable to the GOP?
    They lean GOP but are not a million miles off. In 2020 they got Trump's 47% spot on but underestimated Biden's lead having him on 48% compared to the 51% he got. In 2016 by contrast they were spot on, giving Hillary a 2% popular vote lead

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2020/white_house_watch_nov02

https://thehill.com/media/306721-rasmussen-calls-itself-most-accurate-pollster-of-2016/
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

Fits their playbook !

I 100% think so

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittney_Griner

She's 6'9''!

Not quite as tall as:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margo_Dydek

Died aged 37 - sounds very tragic - being tall is hard work on the heart unfortunately.
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

🔵 Harris 47% (+5)
    🔴 Trump 42%
    🟡 Kennedy 6%

Last poll - 🔴 Trump +2

RMG #C - 3000 RV - 7/31
    We’ll have a better idea in a few weeks once we know in which states his name is on the ballot.
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Mind you if you were at Eton or Harrow being PM is a bit of an ordinary achievement relatively compared to say being a High Court judge, senior partner in a merchant bank, Classics Professor at Christ Church, a brain surgeon, captain of the England cricket team, world famous actor etc.

In those days too there was no TV or internet and the radio never showed faces either, so unless the PM's face was in the newspaper regularly or you attended their rallies voters may not have had much idea what they looked like and Baldwin is a not uncommon name
    There were newsreels before the movies, and in the Twenties and Thirties people often went several times a week.
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

FPT...

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

Jonathan said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

How many people read something on twitter whether true or false and go "right I need to go smash up a police car" a tiny percentage probably less than 0.000001% of the population.....but yes lets use a sledgehammer to crack that nut strip everyones anonymity from them and regulate social media and you know what...they will still riot
    I'm not suggesting stripping anonymity. Social media is already regulated. Yes, riots would happen without social media.

Given there have been over 100 arrests, let's conservatively estimate that there have been 200 rioters. There were roughly 20 million views of the offending tweet. 200/20 million is 0.001%, a figure 1000 times higher than you estimated! But, sure, I take your point that most people weren't motivated to riot.

However, the vast majority of people wouldn't go on a random shooting spree, yet we regulate access to firearms very carefully. The vast majority use knives to chop onions or open packaging, but there are extensive laws around buying and carrying them. Mass misinformation is dangerous. I'm suggesting a balanced approach to dealing with that.
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I was a bit surprised to see his eldest son was a Labour MP while Baldwin was in government, and it seems that Baldwin kept good relations with him.
    Indeed, his son was also openly gay I believe which was brave at that time.

Baldwin had broad appeal, the 55% for his National government candidates in 1931 and 470 seats is still the biggest landslide for any government since universal suffrage
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

There were newsreels before the movies, and in the Twenties and Thirties people often went several times a week.
    Though for Harrovians at the time I expect the movies were thought a bit common compared to going to live Opera for example
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,577
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Inaya Folarin Iman"

The reality is the opposite: that social trust has significantly increased in Britain over the last two decades:

Indeed, but stories like this don’t generate the clicks.
  • EScrymgeourEScrymgeour Posts: 137
    Martin Brundle walked past Nadine during the British GP when she was Minister for Cricket Racquets and Swimming Courts.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,148
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Inaya Folarin Iman"

Despite years of knowing how it's supposed to be pronounced (I think I clocked sometime in my mid 20s) I still read hyperbole as "hyper-bowl".
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,118
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

In the Great War, many young officers, the subalterns, like Lieutenant George in Blackadder, had enlisted straight from school. They had done nothing bar play cricket for their house, and die going over the top.
    HYUFD said:

First race, Glorious Goodwood, Wednesday 31st July.
    TimS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Inaya Folarin Iman"

Despite years of knowing how it's supposed to be pronounced (I think I clocked sometime in my mid 20s) I still read hyperbole as "hyper-bowl".
    My father thought it funny to mispronounce these words ending with a pronounced e, starting with Lady Penelope in Thunderbirds. To this day, I still sometimes doubletake at epitome.

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

In the Great War, many young officers, the subalterns, like Lieutenant George in Blackadder, had enlisted straight from school. They had done nothing bar play cricket for their house, and die going over the top.
    Indeed. The arrays of plaques in at least one school chapel I have seen ... but it is still true for those who didn't die early.

HYUFD said:

First race, Glorious Goodwood, Wednesday 31st July.
    At the starting ceremony of the Paris Olympics, there had been no rehearsal and commentators were given no schedule, so other than research on the various countries as they sailed past, they had to recognise celebrities as they appeared, the hardest, apparently, being a 60-year-old Nadia Comaneci. (h-t: TRiE).
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Baldwin had broad appeal, the 55% for his National government candidates in 1931 and 470 seats is still the biggest landslide for any government since universal suffrage
    On a point of pedantry:

Macdonald was leader of the NG, not Baldwin.

(Also, it wasn’t unusual for rich men to be openly gay. And get away with it. Poorer ones, different story.)
    edited August 2
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Though for Harrovians at the time I expect the movies were thought a bit common compared to going to live Opera for example
    I'd be *astounded* if any Harrovian (other than the occasional recalcitrant and pachydermatous aesthete) admitted to going to the opera, or indeed anything more arty-farty than nets or whatever the rugger bugger substitute game was at Harrow. .

Old Harrovians are presumably whom you mean?
    edited August 2
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed. The arrays of plaques in at least one school chapel I have seen ... but it is still true for those who didn't die early.
    Though in an Old School Magazine (I don't think my Comp has one), surely achievements in school are used to jog memories of fellow students. If they really liked each other they would have stayed in contact.
  • BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,695

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Inaya Folarin Iman"

My father thought it funny to mispronounce these words ending with a pronounced e, starting with Lady Penelope in Thunderbirds. To this day, I still sometimes doubletake at epitome.
    My antelope is called Penelope
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,767
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

Fits their playbook !

I 100% think so

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittney_Griner

She's 6'9''!

Not quite as tall as:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margo_Dydek

Died aged 37 - sounds very tragic - being tall is hard work on the heart unfortunately.
    Don't photogrpah Griner next to 4" 8' Simone Biles!
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Barr was the one who shut down the investigation into the $10m of Egyptian money.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2024/08/02/trump-campaign-egypt-investigation/

So not a big fan of ethical constraints.
    If that was on President Trump's instructions, the Supreme Court says there's nothing that can be done about it.

Kind of a perfect circle.

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Inaya Folarin Iman"

Does it lives in the Antipode?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,767
    TimS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Inaya Folarin Iman"

Puts the super-bowl in the shade...
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Barr was the one who shut down the investigation into the $10m of Egyptian money.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2024/08/02/trump-campaign-egypt-investigation/

So not a big fan of ethical constraints.
    If that was on President Trump's instructions, the Supreme Court says there's nothing that can be done about it.

Kind of a perfect circle.
    I wasn't assuming he was suggesting it was a Good Thing...

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Inaya Folarin Iman"

... and dances to a calliope ...
    Nice.

Is this legal?

Musk’s “America PAC” is running ads telling people it will help them register to vote.

But if they live in a swing state, it collects their address, cell phone number, and age, and then tells them thank you.

It never registers them; only harvests their data.

https://x.com/clearing_fog/status/1819383359996678169
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,695

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Inaya Folarin Iman"

It always puts a smile on my face imagining what if 'testicles' was pronounced in the same way as 'Pericles'.
  • BromptonBrompton Posts: 20
    ydoethur said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Inaya Folarin Iman"

Does it lives in the Antipode?
    Antipode is a synecdoche.
    TimS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Inaya Folarin Iman"

I can't remember how old I was when I finally learnt that awry wasn't pronounced awe-ree, but it was far too late to not be embarrassing

I also wasn't quite sure what people meant when they said that things had gonari
    edited August 2
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

I'd be *astounded* if any Harrovian (other than the occasional recalcitrant and pachydermatous aesthete) admitted to going to the opera, or indeed anything more arty-farty than nets or whatever the rugger bugger substitute game was at Harrow. .

Old Harrovians also include Benedict Cumberbatch and James Blunt, ie an Oscar winning actor and top musician.

The school has also hosted operas on the Hill

https://www.harrowschool.org.uk/post/~board/main-news/post/harrow-school-hosts-magnificent-harrow-and-the-hill-450-community-day-event
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Old Harrovians also include Benedict Cumberbatch and James Blunt, ie an Oscar winning actor and top musician
    Messrs Cumberbatch and Blunt were actually practising "art" at Harrow in the 1920s? Must have been hellish with all those Hearties around.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,475
    Wonderful to see her back, and enjoying the sunshine.

There is only one.

TRUSS
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

On a point of pedantry:

Macdonald was leader of the NG, not Baldwin.

(Also, it wasn’t unusual for rich men to be openly gay. And get away with it. Poorer ones, different story.)
    Though it was Baldwin's Conservatives who got the 55% and 470 seats, Macdonald's National Labour got just 1.5% and 13 seats
  • BromptonBrompton Posts: 20

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Inaya Folarin Iman"

I can't remember how old I was when I finally learnt that awry wasn't pronounced awe-ree, but it was far too late to not be embarrassing

I also wasn't quite sure what people meant when they said that things had gonari
    Askance. Misled. Titleist.
    Brompton said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Inaya Folarin Iman"

Askance. Misled. Titleist.
    Oh I read mizzled for misled for too long too
  • What happened to Tweedledee, did he get into a row with Leon and get themselves both banned?
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,475
    A lovely, sunny, breezy, warm Friday evening in London. You simply cannot beat the English summer!
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    Presidential Polling:

Harris (D): 47%
    Trump (R): 42%
    Kennedy (I): 6%

RMG Research / July 31, 2024 / n=3000
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,632

Wonderful to see her back, and enjoying the sunshine.

There is only one.

TRUSS

Liz Del Rey:

And we're off to the races, places
    Ready, set, the gate is down and now we're goin' in
    To Las Vegas, chaos, Casino Oasis
    Honey, it is time to spin
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,607
    So what does the new weird necklace signify?
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

🔵 Harris 47% (+5)
    🔴 Trump 42%
    🟡 Kennedy 6%

Last poll - 🔴 Trump +2

RMG #C - 3000 RV - 7/31
    Below 3%
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,279
    edited August 2
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

🔵 Harris 47% (+5)
    🔴 Trump 42%
    🟡 Kennedy 6%

Last poll - 🔴 Trump +2

RMG #C - 3000 RV - 7/31
    My guess is that RFK Jr. gets less than 5%.

For one thing, looking like he's NOT gonna be on the ballot in ten or more states, including (perhaps) Arizona, Maryland, Massachusetts, Virginia and Wisconsin.

Bunch of others are pending state certification and/or legal action, but reckon he makes it onto the ballot in most of these.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,094

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Inaya Folarin Iman"

I can't remember how old I was when I finally learnt that awry wasn't pronounced awe-ree, but it was far too late to not be embarrassing...
    I once misprounced "fellatio" to much amusement of others in the kitchen. How was I to know it's "fellashio"?

edited August 2
    Two hours of Dominic Cummings being interviewed:-

The Secrets Behind A Crumbling British Government - Dominic Cummings
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-HhIfpBdoQ
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,148

A lovely, sunny, breezy, warm Friday evening in London. You simply cannot beat the English summer!

You simply CAN beat the English summer.

Most countries in the world can beat the English summer.

This is like watching a non-league team put up a half decent performance in the FA cup third round and declaring “you simply cannot beat Upper Snodsbury Albion”.

It was cloudy here until midday for a start.
This discussion has been closed.