Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Liz Truss may have lost but she isn’t forgotten – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,094
    It vaguely amuses me to pronounce "catastrophe" as "cat-ah-stro-ff", not "cat-astro-phee", because that's how it's pronounced in French
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,853
    System said:

This is incredible in several ways, not least of which that I don't think there is another former PM that could go entirely unrecognised through an interview.But also – mainly – because it results in the BEST IMPROVISED PUT DOWN/SEGUE EVER on television. ~SS pic.twitter.com/qsdLzRAuCa

Read the full story here

I know you’re a banker and all that @TheScreamingEagles but she crashed the markets, not the economy

Not the same thing at all
  • BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,695
    viewcode said:

It vaguely amuses me to pronounce "catastrophe" as "cat-ah-stro-ff", not "cat-astro-phee", because that's how it's pronounced in French

But catastrophique is pronounced catastroff-eeek and we end it with an ick
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,148
    viewcode said:

The island of Fernando Poo is of course the winner in this particular game. Pronounced poh’oh.

Though now officially known as Bioko.
  • BromptonBrompton Posts: 20
    viewcode said:

But it's not french. Pure Greek.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,773
    TimS said:

A lovely, sunny, breezy, warm Friday evening in London. You simply cannot beat the English summer!

You simply CAN beat the English summer.

Most countries in the world can beat the English summer.

This is like watching a non-league team put up a half decent performance in the FA cup third round and declaring “you simply cannot beat Upper Snodsbury Albion”.

It was cloudy here until midday for a start.
    Nah, when the weather is like this there is no better place on earth.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,157

Carnyx said:

I didn't know that Rachel Reeves has an MPs heating allowance of 3400 quid a yr that is not affected by the theft of the heating allowance from.Pensioners.
    Typical fffing Labour

Not Labour (or Tories) but the Parliament itself that determines it, is it not? And who's been in majority for the last 14 years? Not Labour.

It's a point which may well deserve attention in the future, though.
    It's only notable because they took it away from.Pensioners so the MPs shouldn't have it either.
    I suspect Reeves will claim every penny of it, even though they are not obligated to claim. Though if any Labour apparatchik reads this blog they might think twice and ponder how long it will be before a journalist asks whether they are still claiming.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,233
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

"Britain is coming apart at the seams

Weeks of unrest have revealed tensions, anger and a collapse in social trust that can no longer be ignored.

Inaya Folarin Iman"

https://www.spiked-online.com/2024/08/02/britain-is-coming-apart-at-the-seams/

Positively Leonesque in its hyperbole.

The reality is the opposite: that social trust has significantly increased in Britain over the last two decades:

https://www.bi.team/blogs/the-quiet-boom-of-trust-inside-britain/
    Indeed, but stories like this don’t generate the clicks.
    Well that's the thing:

Alarmist and wrong headlines get clicks. Nuance does not.

That's also part of the reason why JK Rowling has been driven mad by Twitter.
    bobbob said:

tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

I am 100% convinced the Olympics boxing “controversy” is manufactured by Russia through their control of the IBA

Fits their playbook !

I don't think so. Played around with this site and I reckon there is a case to answer. The result for Khelif varies depending on what you show it. But when it gets a look at the whole body, it says male.

I put in some women who I know are definitely women, including one I thought it might struggle with, and it was 95% confident of them being women every time.

If you can find one that it gets wrong, I'll accept that it's not infallible.

https://www.nyckel.com/pretrained-classifiers/gender-detector/

I 100% think so

Literslly took me a minute to put one of the most famous female athletes in the world

You can’t trust AI anyway of things like this one of the open problems in image processing is an accurately detecting different kinds of fish !!
    Has it not occurred to you that Britney Grier might actually be a man?

Two hours of Dominic Cummings being interviewed:-

The Secrets Behind A Crumbling British Government - Dominic Cummings
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-HhIfpBdoQ

I think I would struggle listening to two minutes of that egotistical twat. A man who believes his own hype.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,395
    edited August 2
    viewcode said:

Anyone who's a fan of watching Poirot on TV knows this. He says it quite often.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    Scott_xP said:

Just as Tory candidates in the BoZo election had to tie themselves to the sinking ship of Brexit, so Jenrick is required to swear allegiance to the toxic waste of the Rwanda scheme.

Tragic...

In 5 years the problem will either be resolved and the issue forgotten, or so bad people really will want to try the Rwanda scheme again, so committing to it now is a no brainer.

System said:

This is incredible in several ways, not least of which that I don't think there is another former PM that could go entirely unrecognised through an interview.But also – mainly – because it results in the BEST IMPROVISED PUT DOWN/SEGUE EVER on television. ~SS pic.twitter.com/qsdLzRAuCa

Read the full story here

I know you’re a banker and all that @TheScreamingEagles but she crashed the markets, not the economy

Most people would (except savers) regard the soaring interest rates that followed a form of crashing the economy. Her economic ineptitude was not the only reason, but the appearance of instability and incompetence helped damage confidence. Crashing the economy is a reasonable description for most of us.
    rcs1000 said:

bobbob said:

tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

I am 100% convinced the Olympics boxing “controversy” is manufactured by Russia through their control of the IBA

Fits their playbook !

I don't think so. Played around with this site and I reckon there is a case to answer. The result for Khelif varies depending on what you show it. But when it gets a look at the whole body, it says male.

I put in some women who I know are definitely women, including one I thought it might struggle with, and it was 95% confident of them being women every time.

I 100% think so

Literslly took me a minute to put one of the most famous female athletes in the world

You can’t trust AI anyway of things like this one of the open problems in image processing is an accurately detecting different kinds of fish !!
    What this discussion demonstrates is that (some) PBers think that a person is a man or woman depending on their visual appearance. Is this a majority PB view?
    Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Pause

That might be where I got it from!
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,744
    edited August 2

System said:

Read the full story here

Apparently the Bank's report blames 70% of the market instability on its own actions (a remarkable attack of candour if so). Throw in the OBR leaking an inaccurate forecast and there's not an awful lot of blame left for La Truss.

Note that TSE doesn't say that she did crash the economy, just that she will be remembered for doing so.

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:
    Odd you missed this poll.

#New General Election Poll

🔵 Harris 47% (+5)
    🔴 Trump 42%
    🟡 Kennedy 6%

Last poll - 🔴 Trump +2

RMG #C - 3000 RV - 7/31
    Do people have a view on where Kennedy will poll on the day?
    My guess is that RFK Jr. gets less than 5%.

For one thing, looking like he's NOT gonna be on the ballot in ten or more states, including (perhaps) Arizona, Maryland, Massachusetts, Virginia and Wisconsin.

Bunch of others are pending state certification and/or legal action, but reckon he makes it onto the ballot in most of these.
    That is interesting to not be on the ballot in Arizona and Wisconsin (if it happens), two super close states from last time where he could presumably have a real impact from being listed.

Really tough requirements or some weird choice?
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

Fits their playbook !

(Snip images)
    There's a couple of issues here: what dataset has this been trained with? Athletes - particularly in sports like boxing, will be more muscular, and hence more 'masculine'. Also, how does race and/or culture affect the results? How many asians and/or North Africans were in the dataset?

'AI' - i.e. machine learning - is really Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Edit: also note the following, as you said you used a 'whole body' photo:

"To start, upload a photograph, preferably of just a face."
    It was fine on Serena Williams and Simone Biles - but @bobbob has clearly found one where it went wrong.
    To be fair, there will be lots of pictures of Serena Williams and Simone Biles in the training dataset; therefore their features will essentially be programmed to return "woman".
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,652
    I would like to sincerely apologise to all Yorkshire fans for the result of the cricket after I had confidently predicted they would win.

However, I can't, because it would be a lie.
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Weeks of unrest have revealed tensions, anger and a collapse in social trust that can no longer be ignored.

Inaya Folarin Iman"

The reality is the opposite: that social trust has significantly increased in Britain over the last two decades:

Without wishing to be complacent about the state of things, I think we have some real problems, I cannot escape the impression most people who write about things coming apart are doing so with a sense of yearning.
    TimS said:

A lovely, sunny, breezy, warm Friday evening in London. You simply cannot beat the English summer!

This is like watching a non-league team put up a half decent performance in the FA cup third round and declaring “you simply cannot beat Upper Snodsbury Albion”.

Quite right, it prevented the sunshine from being oppressive for too long.
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

bobbob said:

tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

Fits their playbook !

I 100% think so

What this discussion demonstrates is that (some) PBers think that a person is a man or woman depending on their visual appearance. Is this a majority PB view?
    It's a very Woke view.

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Pause

I sometimes pronounce fabulous 'fableous'. I got it off Steve Wright bless him. A very funny man.
    edited August 2

Typo there.

Should be 'The Secret Behind A Crumbling Government.'

Not that he or his incompetence was that secret.
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

The tyranny of low expectations.

The temperature is nice, admitted. 27-28 is just about ideal, so long as it stays fairly warm in the evening. But there’s heaps of cloud around, the sky and visibility are hazy (give me a deep cobalt blue and endless horizons any day), and Southern England itself in the sunshine, while pretty in places, is eminently beatable on the summer scenery front.

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Pause

I sometimes pronounce fabulous 'fableous'. I got it off Steve Wright bless him. A very funny man.
    For the same reason I often pronounce professional profeshnial

System said:

Read the full story here

I have an interest in your hate's proceeding
    My mortgage for your rude brawls doth lie a-bleeding.

(TBF, mine does not, because I fixed it for the long term just in time.)

viewcode said:

But catastrophique is pronounced catastroff-eeek and we end it with an ick
    We should really say catastrophical.
    ydoethur said:

Tpo there.

He kept it secret from himself.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,022
    edited August 2
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

bobbob said:

tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

Fits their playbook !

I 100% think so

If you asked someone to say how do we know someone is male or female, they wouldn't be able to explain it. We just know, don't we?

Interesting thing on Greiner is her voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dNPZdTmpDs

Honestly? I'd say that's a man's voice, but, I'm guessing there is no doubt about her, which has made me stop and think a bit more about the boxing situation.

EDIT: Imane Khelif sounds feminine here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrODpZ-g_nc

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Pause

For the same reason I often pronounce professional profeshnial
    Nucular weapons.

ydoethur said:

Tpo there.

He kept it secret from himself.
    Ah, the Number Three at Swansea.
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Just as Tory candidates in the BoZo election had to tie themselves to the sinking ship of Brexit, so Jenrick is required to swear allegiance to the toxic waste of the Rwanda scheme.

Tragic...

In 5 years the problem will either be resolved and the issue forgotten, or so bad people really will want to try the Rwanda scheme again, so committing to it now is a no brainer.
    Rwanda will be sending us their asylum seekers by then.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,505
    TimS said:

viewcode said:

The island of Fernando Poo is of course the winner in this particular game. Pronounced poh’oh.

It was actually 'Fernando Po', not 'Fernando Poo'; the latter was a perhaps-deliberate misspelling in the Illuminatus! Trilogy.

https://illuminatus.fandom.com/wiki/Fernando_Poo
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioko

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Pause

I pronounce progress as 'Progg-ress', the way Darth Vader does.

TimS said:

viewcode said:

It was actually 'Fernando Po', not 'Fernando Poo'; the latter was a perhaps-deliberate misspelling in the Illuminatus! Trilogy.

Poo in Spanish, Po in Portuguese

TimS said:

viewcode said:

Pootato pootahto.

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Tragic...

Rwanda will be sending us their asylum seekers by then.
    That is part of the deal!
    TimS said:

TimS said:

viewcode said:

That's interesting. I wonder if it was a misspelling, or whether the authors deliberately used the Spanish name for some reason?
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,394
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Pause

I pronounce 'misled' as 'mizzled'.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,275

TimS said:

TimS said:

viewcode said:

That's interesting. I wonder if it was a misspelling, or whether the authors deliberately used the Spanish name for some reason?
    Was a Spanish colony.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,920
    edited August 2

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Pause

Harmonium -> Pandemonium.

And of course the essential Egg -> Hegg, because in 'uthwaite, 'ucknall and 'ardwick Hs 'ardly 'ever 'appen, and somebody has to provide a refugee camp.
    edited August 2
    So apparently these are some of the Tory leadership slogans thus far.

Jenrick - Change. Win. Deliver
    Tugendhat - Unite. Rebuild. Win.
    Patel - Unity. Experience. Strength.
    Stride - Trust. Change. Win.

Not a dealbreaker either way of course, but will anyone be bold enough to not go with a three word offering?

Certainly there's zero chance of peopel distinguishing these from one another.
    Sparkling wine tip of the day. I’m drinking Prosecco, which is as we all know generally shit, but with a couple of shakes of angostura bitters. Makes it palatable.
    It's incredibly important not to forget Liz Truss, or history might repeat itself.

In that interview I was expecting someone to intervene with a pea-shooter or a ping pong ball catapult, from behind the cameraman.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,065

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Pause

This conversation makes me think of this cartoon: https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/plural
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/don-t-drive-me-to-join-reform-braverman-tells-tory-mps/ar-BB1r2wtt?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=4f04865ca9004bd181dcbcde01932ca5&ei=74

Hope she does defect. And if she "takes half the membership with her" then that can only be a good thing for the Conservative Party. The swivel-eyed loon element of the Tory Party are the fuckwits who thought it a good idea to give us Bozo and Truss
    dixiedean said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

viewcode said:

Was a Spanish colony.
    As sometimes happens, PB's taken something I thought was 'fact' - in this case, that Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea had deliberately changed 'Po' into 'Poo' for humour - and shown it to be much more nuanced, if not wrong...
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,364
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

Carry-le-Rouet, where I am right now (looking at this view) says Bon Soir

• Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,114

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Pause

Strange you should say that, because my little brother, when he was 3 or 4, pronounced succulent as "sucklient".
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

That's just a shit version of Cowes.

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

The interviewer clearly thought 'Recognise that face from somewhere, can't be sure, just as well he didn't say 'Were you once on Corrie?' Even if the commentator knew straight away it was Truss hence the betting markets joke

In terms of not being recognised, I love this anecdote about Stanley Baldwin:

https://unherd.com/2023/05/britain-needs-more-stanley-baldwins/
    Lovely article - mostly completely new to me. From Bewdley, too, so much more rural than the author seems to realise. On the Severn, and close to Wyre, Wrekin and Malvern.

Edit: but there is a possible slight edge to it. How life at school eclipsed everything else in some people's minds. All those obits in public school mags (especially in the Great War) which listed the decedent's 2nd XI House Cricket in '02 and Fotherington-Mogg Essay Prize '21 and 2nd Strangler, Fenland '14, to the almost complete exclusion of all else. Maybe not here, though - it's too amiable for that.
    In the Great War, many young officers, the subalterns, like Lieutenant George in Blackadder, had enlisted straight from school. They had done nothing bar play cricket for their house, and die going over the top.
    Indeed. The arrays of plaques in at least one school chapel I have seen ... but it is still true for those who didn't die early.
    Though in an Old School Magazine (I don't think my Comp has one), surely achievements in school are used to jog memories of fellow students. If they really liked each other they would have stayed in contact.
    There was one of the jock (Yank not-a-nerd jock, not Scot jock) Maganauts who was caught like that, because his school yearbook was full of things analagous to "I woke at the crack of dawn" about the girls in his year.

Which one was it? I don't think it was JDV.

dixiedean said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

viewcode said:

Was a Spanish colony.
    As sometimes happens, PB's taken something I thought was 'fact' - in this case, that Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea had deliberately changed 'Po' into 'Poo' for humour - and shown it to be much more nuanced, if not wrong...
    The Spanish name WAS Fernando Po.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,118
    MattW said:

It's incredibly important not to forget Liz Truss, or history might repeat itself.

In that interview I was expecting someone to intervene with a pea-shooter or a ping pong ball catapult, from behind the cameraman.

She is at Glorious Goodwood, at the races, where duke may mix with dustman. All men are equal on the turf, and under it.
    edited August 2
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Does cowes have infinity pools directly overlooking the marina? Because that’s what you’re looking at - that’s the blue at the bottom

I’ve been invited to review a brand new hotel with serious culinary ambitions. It will be an interesting test for my “modern French food is not good” thesis. So far the hotel is very agreeable in a chic-but-not-grandiose way
    dixiedean said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

viewcode said:

Was a Spanish colony.
    Fun fact:

After abolishing the British Atlantic slave trade, from 1827 to 1843 the British leased bases at Port Clarence (modern Malabo) and San Carlos for the African Slave Trade Patrol. The settlement at Port Clarence (named after the Duke of Clarence) was constructed under the supervision of William Fitzwilliam Owen. He had previously mapped most of the coasts of Africa and was a zealous anti-slaver. During his three-year command, his forces detained 20 ships and liberated 2,500 slaves. The Mixed Commission Court was moved from Freetown, Sierra Leone, to Clarence to hasten the legal process of emancipating slaves liberated from slave ships.[12]

In March 1843, Juan José Lerena planted the Spanish flag in Port Clarence (renamed Santa Isabel), starting the decline of British influence on the island. Spain revoked the British lease in 1855.[13]

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,451
    tlg86 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

bobbob said:

tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

Fits their playbook !

I 100% think so

If you asked someone to say how do we know someone is male or female, they wouldn't be able to explain it. We just know, don't we?

Honestly? I'd say that's a man's voice, but, I'm guessing there is no doubt about her, which has made me stop and think a bit more about the boxing situation.

Khelif's sex needs proper scientific evaluation. The problem is precisely noone is actually interested in the specifics with one side saying how everyone claiming she's a man is a raging transphobe and the other taking the fact she's got a hefty amount of punching power and her looks as positive proof that she's definitely a man.
    To my mind is simply boils down to does she have testes, internal or otherwise. That is what gives male advantage. And we do not know because noone is actually interested in the truth. Noone that matters anyway
    edited August 2
    sarissa said:

kle4 said:

Patel - Unity. Experience. Strength.

Not a dealbreaker either way of course, but will anyone be bold enough to not go with a three word offering?

Worst game of What3Words. Ever.
    When my older daughter was about nine or ten and I took her to the zoo for the 87th time (so close to my flat) we used to liven up our trips by deliberately mispronouncing the animals’ names in an absurd way

So instead of saying “shall we go see the giraffes” I’d ask her “do you want to see the guy-raff-aze” and she’d fall about laughing

Then she’d say “no dad I want to see the snack-eees in the repp-teeel-ay house” (snakes in the reptile house obvs)

This could keep us both amused for several hours. Its one of the cherished memories of my parenting
    FPT:
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Foss said:

Andy_JS said:

"Juror swears oath on river in legal first"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c25l5zldgv9o

Good for him. There’s no reason why swearing on what sounds like a form of low Animism is any more or less silly than swearing on the concept a personal saviour.
    Yep. So long as he believes it rather than it being a pisstake. I think that's the idea, isn't it. Your object of swearing must be dear to you so as to add gravitas to your testimony. Eg what about "I swear on my mother's life"? That's a colloquialism but could it actually be used in court? Interesting area. Never thought much about it before.
    Or for that matter the formerly pointless attempt to get Quakers to swear on the Bible when everyone knew and knows they take the matter far more seriously than that. Long ago abandoned.
    Several Non-Conformist Protestant sects refuse to swear oaths, based on James 5:12

"But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation." KJV

Hence Affirmation can be used instead, as an alternative.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/giving-evidence-court#:~:text=Before giving evidence in court,an affirmation is non-religious.
    Since we are doing sects in Parliament affirming, we should remember Charles Bradlaugh from the secularist sect who went to prison for the right.

Quite a good account on Wiki:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Bradlaugh

I'm amused that he was kick started on his secularist journey in his teens by a rude Vicar who did not give him a serious answer about discrepancies he thought he had observed between the Bible and the Thirty-Nine articles, when Bradlaugh was a Sunday school teacher.

Born in Hoxton (an area in the East End of London), Bradlaugh was the son of a solicitor's clerk. He left school at the age of eleven and then worked as an office errand-boy and later as a clerk to a coal merchant. After a brief spell as a Sunday school teacher, he became disturbed by discrepancies between the Thirty-nine Articles of the Anglican Church and the Bible. When he expressed his concerns, the local vicar, John Graham Packer, accused him of atheism and suspended him from teaching. He was thrown out of the family home and was taken in by Eliza Sharples Carlile, the widow of Richard Carlile, who had been imprisoned for printing Thomas Paine's The Age of Reason. Soon Bradlaugh was introduced to George Holyoake, who organised Bradlaugh's first public lecture as an atheist.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,707
    MattW said:

I thought that was the reason school history went on about the Holocaust, left we forget?
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

bobbob said:

tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

Fits their playbook !

I 100% think so

Khelif's sex needs proper scientific evaluation. The problem is precisely noone is actually interested in the specifics with one side saying how everyone claiming she's a man is a raging transphobe and the other taking the fact she's got a hefty amount of punching power and her looks as positive proof that she's definitely a man.
    To my mind is simply boils down to does she have testes, internal or otherwise. That is what gives male advantage. And we do not know because noone is actually interested in the truth. Noone that matters anyway
    Steve Bunce said earlier that the IFA test results were never published, which sounds dodgy, but equally, the IOC's policy of not testing is lunacy.

dixiedean said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

viewcode said:

Was a Spanish colony.
    As sometimes happens on PB a fact people thought inviolate turns out to be more nuanced, and then @Sunil_Prasannan makes it more nuanced still. So Wiki for example has “For nearly 500 years, the island was known as Fernando Po (Portuguese: Fernando Pó; Spanish: Fernando Poo)” but other sites just have Po.

Poo is clearly superior.
  • EScrymgeourEScrymgeour Posts: 137

TimS said:

viewcode said:

Pootato pootahto.
    Potatoe (c) Dan Quayle.
    sarissa said:

kle4 said:

Patel - Unity. Experience. Strength. - Woke, sorry Wake, Island

Worst game of What3Words. Ever.
    The only one of those on Planet Earth is Unity. Experience. Strength.

And that is near Woke, sorry Wake, Island.

https://what3words.com/unity.experience.strength
    TimS said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

bobbob said:

tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

Fits their playbook !

I 100% think so

One thing she isn’t is trans. She was born and brought up female. So this is a case of physiological difference- intersex. It’s a shame it’s got caught up in the culture wars over trans.
    The only people bringing trans into the debate are those wanting to muddy the water.
    In the least surprising news of the 21st century, Harris' nomination has been confirmed.

Kamala Harris formally chosen as Democratic nominee
    https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c4ng1my55vno
    edited August 2
  • KnightOutKnightOut Posts: 116
    MattW said:

I hope history does repeat itself, only with the next Liz Truss actually being given a chance to enact her radical programme, instead of being hamstrung and hogtied by frit middle managers and sacrificed on the altar of convenient scapegoatery.

#InLizWeStillTruss
    ydoethur said:

In the least surprising news of the 21st century, Harris' nomination has been confirmed.

Kerching!
    God this entire hotel is like a micro version of White Lotus. Obnoxious Americans. Women with too much Botox. A gay concierge

Everything

Plus a mysterious solo Englishman typing over his aperol spritz
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,264
    TimS said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

bobbob said:

tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

Fits their playbook !

I 100% think so

One thing she isn’t is trans. She was born and brought up female. So this is a case of physiological difference- intersex. It’s a shame it’s got caught up in the culture wars over trans.
    It sounds similar to Caster Semanya. The "man punching woman" take is ignorant claptrap.
    KnightOut said:

MattW said:

I hope history does repeat itself, only with the next Liz Truss actually being given a chance to enact her radical programme, instead of being hamstrung and hogtied by frit middle managers and sacrificed on the altar of convenient scapegoatery.

#InLizWeStillTruss
    Possibly the Tories should look at how Truss lost her seat while Hunt saved his against the odds.

More likely that they will disappear down the rabbit hole.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,279
    AP (via Seattle Times) - Harris has secured enough Democratic delegate votes to be the party’s nominee, committee chair says

Vice President Kamala Harris has secured enough votes from Democratic delegates to become the party’s nominee for president, Democratic National Committee Chair Jaime Harrison said Friday.

The online voting process doesn’t end until Monday, but the campaign marked the moment when she crossed the threshold to have the majority of delegates’ votes. . . .

Delegates to the Democratic National Convention began voting via secure email on Thursday, and the voting will remain open until Monday evening. Harris has not yet chosen her running mate, and she’s expected to interview candidates over the weekend.

The formal nomination is expected to be finalized by Aug. 7 even though the party’s convention in Chicago isn’t scheduled to begin for more than two more weeks. Democratic officials have said the accelerated timeline was necessary because of an Aug. 7 deadline to ensure candidates appear on the Ohio ballot. . . .
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Kerching!
    Still 1.01 on Betfair, presumably punters freeing up funds for the weekend's sports.
    Leon said:

God this entire hotel is like a micro version of White Lotus. Obnoxious Americans. Women with too much Botox. A gay concierge

Everything

Stiff sock to his side.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,279
    KnightOut said:

MattW said:

#InLizWeStillTruss
    And here I was thinking, that Luckyguy was the only Trussite in the PB village!
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,607
    Brompton said:

viewcode said:

But it's not french. Pure Greek.
    Not such a bad restaurant, provided you can cope with salty food.
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Everything

Stiff sock to his side.
    I imagine a hotel of this quality trying to impress a famous flint knapper will provide silk
    edited August 2
    tlg86 said:

TimS said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

bobbob said:

tlg86 said:

bobbob said:

Fits their playbook !

I 100% think so

The only people bringing trans into the debate are those wanting to muddy the water.
    I suppose there is some relevance since it's largely about testosterone levels and that's at the heart of the 'trans women in sports' issue.
    TimS said:

dixiedean said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

viewcode said:

Was a Spanish colony.
    As sometimes happens on PB a fact people thought inviolate turns out to be more nuanced, and then @Sunil_Prasannan makes it more nuanced still. So Wiki for example has “For nearly 500 years, the island was known as Fernando Po (Portuguese: Fernando Pó; Spanish: Fernando Poo)” but other sites just have Po.

Poo is clearly superior.
    But the Portuguese is Fernao do Po.

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Kerching!
    Still 1.01 on Betfair, presumably punters freeing up funds for the weekend's sports.
    I backed Kamala at 16 and greened up at 1.65, thus leaving a fair amount on the table, but as the old saw has it, it is never too soon to take a profit.

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Kerching!
    I backed Kamala at 16 and greened up at 1.65, thus leaving a fair amount on the table, but as the old saw has it, it is never too soon to take a profit.
    16 vs 1.65 is a great trade.
    LIVE: Secret Service gives statement on Donald Trump shooting
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6vymZpXuY
    ydoethur said:

Meaning someone on here (who was convinced it'd be the Biden Trump rematch) owes me 10 quid - but I've forgotten who it is!

Any takers?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,843
    viewcode said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Inaya Folarin Iman"

Despite years of knowing how it's supposed to be pronounced (I think I clocked sometime in my mid 20s) I still read hyperbole as "hyper-bowl".
    I can't remember how old I was when I finally learnt that awry wasn't pronounced awe-ree, but it was far too late to not be embarrassing...
    I once misprounced "fellatio" to much amusement of others in the kitchen. How was I to know it's "fellashio"?

You could have asked ?
  • Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Inaya Folarin Iman"

Despite years of knowing how it's supposed to be pronounced (I think I clocked sometime in my mid 20s) I still read hyperbole as "hyper-bowl".
    I can't remember how old I was when I finally learnt that awry wasn't pronounced awe-ree, but it was far too late to not be embarrassing...
    I once misprounced "fellatio" to much amusement of others in the kitchen. How was I to know it's "fellashio"?

You could have asked ?
    The person being ask may have been poorly placed to answer at the time.

Interesting that one factor identified is different agencies being on their own radio networks. This issue of inter-agency communication (and the lack of it) has also been a factor in this country, for instance the Ariana Grande concert bombing.

Interesting that one factor identified is different agencies being on their own radio networks. This issue of inter-agency communication (and the lack of it) has also been a factor in this country, for instance the Ariana Grande concert bombing.
    I did wonder about different radio networks in one of my early postings on this matter...
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Pause

You must have really bad asthma.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,462
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Does cowes have infinity pools directly overlooking the marina? Because that’s what you’re looking at - that’s the blue at the bottom

I’ve been invited to review a brand new hotel with serious culinary ambitions. It will be an interesting test for my “modern French food is not good” thesis. So far the hotel is very agreeable in a chic-but-not-grandiose way
    What's the point of infinity pools? To collect the seagull shite before it stains the hotel terrace.
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Everything

Stiff sock to his side.
    No, that one’s Leon.

I just don’t buy this. Not only was the shooter the only 20 year old in America with literally zero internet presence - and no motivation? - but it turns out his home is as “clean as a lab”. Not a speck of evidence either way or anything. A 20 year old guy with a home as “clean as a lab”?

The whole thing is exceptionally suspicious

And, for clarity, I’ve no idea who recruited him or why or how or anything, but I feel pretty sure this is not the whole story
    edited August 2
    TimS said:

Sparkling wine tip of the day. I’m drinking Prosecco, which is as we all know generally shit, but with a couple of shakes of angostura bitters. Makes it palatable.

I was going to say eugh, but that does make some sort of sence on reflection.

We used to have the stuff (Prosecco not bitters) with my late mother's home-grown and home-made cassis, though. Worked very well.

Perhaps could call it a kir republicaine.

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Inaya Folarin Iman"

You could have asked ?
    The person being ask may have been poorly placed to answer at the time.
    TMI.

System said:

Read the full story here

Just wait till the pensioners she impoverished retire.
    TimS said:

dixiedean said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

viewcode said:

Was a Spanish colony.

Poo is clearly superior.
    I'm just confused now... ;)
    My kids used to call Robbie Williams, Robbilly Williams.
    Leon said:

I just don’t buy this. Not only was the shooter the only 20 year old in America with literally zero internet presence - and no motivation? - but it turns out his home is as “clean as a lab”. Not a speck of evidence either way or anything. A 20 year old guy with a home as “clean as a lab”?

The whole thing is exceptionally suspicious

And, for clarity, I’ve no idea who recruited him or why or how or anything, but I feel pretty sure this is not the whole story
    Oh, ffs. It's friday evening and the sun is over the mizzen gaff never mind the bloody yardarm.
This discussion has been closed.