Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Trump had another totally normal day yesterday – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited August 26 in General
Trump had another totally normal day yesterday – politicalbetting.com

This was a train wreck that derailed into the ocean where it was attacked by a shark and electrocuted before being hit by an asteroid. https://t.co/77LrX4ffXO

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    rcs1000 said:

I'm beginning to think that the odds on Ms Harris are looking attractive.

They are and have been for some time.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    I honestly think that the crossover is going to come very soon, possibly even today. The latest polls show Harris between 3 and 7(!) points ahead. Trump is imploding, his choice of VP has gone down very badly and Harris looks competent, comparatively young and sane.

I don't see the current odds lasting long.

Of course there is a long way to go but Trump is the unhinged old man of this contest now.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,206

FPT

DavidL said:
    » show previous quotes
    Thames Water has looked doomed ever since interest rates went over about 1%. They were used as a source of capital and cheap debt by the owners as a way of monetising the income flow that came from their customers like they were gilts. The problem is that they got too greedy and the regulator was too stupid to spot the obvious risk, that that income flow was fixed by the margin they were allowed on their services, not by the rate of interest. As soon as the rate of interest increased the sustainable debt fell and the owners refused to pay it back, trying to blackmail the regulator into allowing additional charges instead.

It is a classic example of inept and incompetent regulation. Whether that is simply incompetence in the regulator or incompetence on the part of the people who set up the structure is a bit complicated but it is clear neither were fit for purpose.

What does the Chancellor do about it? Well, she should start by making it clear that McQuarie do not get to repeat their efforts in another part of our infrastructure. The shareholders must be completely wiped out. The bond holders are going to have to suffer too so that people no longer treat our infrastructure like gilts when they are not. The special administrator should sue for at least the last dividend paid on the basis the business does not have distributable funds. All of this will help but if the water and sewage of a large part of the country is to continue to flow this is going to cost public money.

I cant see any other way but HMG will have to put its hand in its pocket. And while everyone is focussing on TW, lets not forget it has a large supply chain which is essential to keeping water flowing. TW has outsourced lots of key skills such as maintenance and cannot function if its suppliers are dragged down too. On the other hand those same suppliers of they survive will be ramming their prices up and demanding pro forma payment. Somebody is going to have to stump up the cash.
  • DavidL said:

How long can Thames Water hold out ? Yet another debt downgrade.

"Environment Secretary Steve Reed last week said the group remained “financially viable” and would not need to be nationalised.

Mr Reed added that there was “no need to have undue concerns at the moment”.

I cant help but think that will bite his arse in the coming months and Reeves will do he blame everyone but herself routine as she suddenly has to find a few billion more.

And while she does have a point on the behaviour the various owners, it does rather raise the question of why she's letting MaQuarie one of the villains of the piece take control of the nations gas grid. Clearly she hasnt been "learning the lessons"

https://www.ft.com/content/9b615f98-f88c-4086-a3ab-3858ed299ca5

Thames Water has looked doomed ever since interest rates went over about 1%. They were used as a source of capital and cheap debt by the owners as a way of monetising the income flow that came from their customers like they were gilts. The problem is that they got too greedy and the regulator was too stupid to spot the obvious risk, that that income flow was fixed by the margin they were allowed on their services, not by the rate of interest. As soon as the rate of interest increased the sustainable debt fell and the owners refused to pay it back, trying to blackmail the regulator into allowing additional charges instead.

It is a classic example of inept and incompetent regulation. Whether that is simply incompetence in the regulator or incompetence on the part of the people who set up the structure is a bit complicated but it is clear neither were fit for purpose.
    Them and many many others.

The oil price is rocketing with the latest middle east goings on. You can forget interest rate cuts any time soon.

In fact with the Tory inflationary actions like double digit minimum wage rises and Ldbour inflationary actions like doctors 22% pensionsble pay rises, the next interest rate change may well be up.

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    edited August 1
    DavidL said:

I honestly think that the crossover is going to come very soon, possibly even today. The latest polls show Harris between 3 and 7(!) points ahead. Trump is imploding, his choice of VP has gone down very badly and Harris looks competent, comparatively young and sane.

Of course there is a long way to go but Trump is the unhinged old man of this contest now.

I would like to think so, but America is a weird place, so being weird is not a bar to support. The pussy grabbing, riot provoking bigot still has nearly half of America supporting him. Astonishing but true.

DavidL said:

"Environment Secretary Steve Reed last week said the group remained “financially viable” and would not need to be nationalised.

I cant help but think that will bite his arse in the coming months and Reeves will do he blame everyone but herself routine as she suddenly has to find a few billion more.

And while she does have a point on the behaviour the various owners, it does rather raise the question of why she's letting MaQuarie one of the villains of the piece take control of the nations gas grid. Clearly she hasnt been "learning the lessons"

The oil price is rocketing with the latest middle east goings on. You can forget interest rate cuts any time soon.

In fact with the Tory inflationary actions like double digit minimum wage rises and Ldbour inflationary actions like doctors 22% pensionsble pay rises, the next interest rate change may well be up.

I think were quickly heading for crossover

Tory incompetence will be overtaken by Labour incompetence
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 269
    rcs1000 said:

Not as attractive as they were... closed from 2.8 a day or so ago to 2.3. The only reason Trump is still in with a chance is assumptions on the levels of misogyny and racism of the US electorate, sadly.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    Dopermean said:

rcs1000 said:

Not as attractive as they were... closed from 2.8 a day or so ago to 2.3. The only reason Trump is still in with a chance is assumptions on the levels of misogyny and racism of the US electorate, sadly.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

DavidL said:

Utter bullshit which 2 seconds of research would tell you https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/crude-oil is the market price for the last year - it's fluctuating in the same price range...
  • Foxy said:

DavidL said:

I would like to think so, but America is a weird place, so being weird is not a bar to support. The pussy grabbing, riot provoking bigot still has nearly half of America supporting him. Astonishing but true.
    As over here, people vote against someone rather than for someone under first past the post.

They don't care how many random people they don't knows pussies are grabbed if it means the state won't steal their spoons or teach their kid that Fred can become Freda and Freda become Fred.
    Saudi Arabia will build 11 stadiums for the 2034 World Cup, with four more refurbished, in what is likely to be the most expensive sports construction project ever undertaken.

One of the new stadiums would be in the futuristic city of Neom, built 350m in the air and serviced by driverless vehicles and high-speed lifts.

https://www.thetimes.com/sport/football/article/neom-stadium-to-be-built-in-350m-above-ground-for-saudi-world-cup-kxr2fz6z5

Saudi Arabia will build 11 stadiums for the 2034 World Cup, with four more refurbished, in what is likely to be the most expensive sports construction project ever undertaken.

One of the new stadiums would be in the futuristic city of Neom, built 350m in the air and serviced by driverless vehicles and high-speed lifts.

https://www.thetimes.com/sport/football/article/neom-stadium-to-be-built-in-350m-above-ground-for-saudi-world-cup-kxr2fz6z5

very net zero

• Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Eagles, it's wrong to say Saudi Arabia are to build 11 stadiums. It's 11 stadia. And I'll believe the 'Neom' stadium when I see it.

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Eagles, it's wrong to say Saudi Arabia are to build 11 stadiums. It's 11 stadia. And I'll believe the 'Neom' stadium when I see it.

Susie Dent says stadiums is fine.
  • eek said:

DavidL said:

Utter bullshit which 2 seconds of research would tell you https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/crude-oil is the market price for the last year - it's fluctuating in the same price range...
    Really?

"Oil prices extend gains on Israel-Hamas fears, OPEC+ awaited.

Investing.com-- Oil prices rose in Asian trade on Thursday, extending a sharp rebound from the prior session as the killing of Hamas’ leader in Iran kept fears of a bigger Middle East war largely in play.

https://uk.investing.com/news/commodities-news/oil-prices-extend-gains-on-israelhamas-fears-opec-awaited-3623745.

Feel free to say I am wrong but comments like "Utter bullshit which 2 seconds of research would tell you" are just ad-hom macho hyperbole and don't help to, for example, encourage female or timid posters to stick their head above the parapet.
  • MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,759
    rcs1000 said:

Been saying it for ages. Once the media turns on Trump, this becomes a trainwreck. He will be increasingly ridiculed.
    An interesting thread on how successful Wales' 20mph scheme has been

https://x.com/WillHayCardiff/status/1818675049726964120

26% reduction in road casualities
    23% in killed / seriously injured
    55% drop in people killed
    27% drop in slight injuries

And insurance claims down 20%.
  • rcs1000 said:

Been saying it for ages. Once the media turns on Trump, this becomes a trainwreck. He will be increasingly ridiculed.
    They said that in 2015-16 when they turned on him from day 1.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    edited August 1
    eek said:

That's a very good thread, but he seems to have caught a hairdo from ex-Guido Harry.

My stance has always been that the Welsh "20mph default limit in urban areas with some exceptions" policy is a no-brainer.

It's good to see more evidence piling up.

eek said:

DavidL said:

Really?

Investing.com-- Oil prices rose in Asian trade on Thursday, extending a sharp rebound from the prior session as the killing of Hamas’ leader in Iran kept fears of a bigger Middle East war largely in play.

https://uk.investing.com/news/commodities-news/oil-prices-extend-gains-on-israelhamas-fears-opec-awaited-3623745.

Feel free to say I am wrong but comments like "Utter bullshit which 2 seconds of research would tell you" are just ad-hom macho hyperbole and don't help to, for example, encourage female or timid posters to stick their head above the parapet.
    I went and looked at the actual figures rather than a write 300 words today to scare your readers article.
  • eek said:

A 5mph limit on all roads with compulsory speed governors would reduce it by 99%.

Good morning, everyone.

Susie Dent is from Surrey :smile: .
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

There are only two choices. Trump may be an idiot but he's our idiot. Works for other nouns too.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314

rcs1000 said:

The media turned on Trump in 2016, and it didn’t help them much.

Meanwhile, much of the alternative media is turning on Harris. Here’s Joe Rogan and Michael Malice taking the piss out of the mainstream media for their total u-turn on her.
    https://x.com/vigilantfox/status/1818354746526499090
    ^^^ this interview will get tens of millions of views, more than all of the mainstream news combined, especially among the younger demographics.
    Oddschecker seems to have fallen over (nginx reports http 500).

DavidL said:

The oil price is not rocketing: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cmjpj223708t?market=Brent

Interest rates will fall but not by much, maybe 1% over the next year. The days of free money are over and thank goodness for that, the distortions it was causing in our economy were severe.

The economic prospects are for modest growth but this will not generate the additional tax income the government wants to spend. They inherited borrowing at 6% of GDP, roughly 3x the growth rate. That gap has to be plugged before there is any more money to spend. Rather than wittering on about "black holes" the Chancellor would be better to focus on the deficit. It is her major problem and her major constraint.
    Mr. Eagles, she's entitled to her view.

It's still stadia.

Good morning, everyone.

11 stadiums, 40 hospitals, potato, potato...
    eek said:

At a cost of how much wasted time?

Should extend the 20 to the M4, A40, and A55, which will save even more accidents.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited August 1

MaxPB said:

https://twitter.com/broseph_stalin/status/1818774663851590040

It's started, exactly what I feared has started, the streets are becoming unsafe for people who look like me, they were already unsafe for my wife who is Jewish.

I hope the police arrest every single one of these arseholes.

Appalling scenes in Shankhill Road Hartlepool. The Asian people living in Falls district of Hartlepool feel under siege today.
    Sounds like Luton
    Funny you should mention that.

"luton sons of william 1002

Our luton lodge is getting bigger and with your support it can get bigger please offer your support

Welcome to our web site!

On this home page we'll introduce our organization and highlight important areas on our site.

https://luton1002.tripod.com/ "

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Meanwhile, much of the alternative media is turning on Harris. Here’s Joe Rogan and Michael Malice taking the piss out of the mainstream media for their total u-turn on her.
    ^^^ this interview will get tens of millions of views, more than all of the mainstream news combined, especially among the younger demographics.
    I think you and Mister Bedfordshire seem to miss the obvious difference.

Even Fox News are ripping into Trump.

Mr. Eagles, she's entitled to her view.

It's still stadia.

She's the UK's leading lexicographer, she knows her onions.
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

As I have said on here before I just don't understand Americans. But I do believe Trump was cruising for victory against a senile old man very clearly not up to the job and now he's not. It ain't over but there has been a significant reset.
    edited August 1
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Should extend the 20 to the M4, A40, and A55, which will save even more accidents.
    Collisions, not accidents. And very little wasted time.

Motorways are perhaps our safest roads, since there are no on carriageway junctions, vulnerable road users, or traffic going the other way (usually) - so dozy driving is relatively safe. But I think you know that :smile: .

MaxPB said:

https://twitter.com/broseph_stalin/status/1818774663851590040

It's started, exactly what I feared has started, the streets are becoming unsafe for people who look like me, they were already unsafe for my wife who is Jewish.

I hope the police arrest every single one of these arseholes.

Appalling scenes in Shankhill Road Hartlepool. The Asian people living in Falls district of Hartlepool feel under siege today.
    Sounds like Luton
    Funny you should mention that.

"luton sons of william 1002

Our luton lodge is getting bigger and with your support it can get bigger please offer your support

Welcome to our web site!

On this home page we'll introduce our organization and highlight important areas on our site.

https://luton1002.tripod.com/ "

The future is is bright, the future is Orange
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,022
    edited August 1
    eek said:

The missing bit is that most road users are travelling considerably more than 20 mph with speeds of 25 mph plus and that some former 30mph roads are having the limit restored in September in accordance with the Welsh government's own guidance

There is no dispute that 20mph zones work when applied properly and indeed have widescale support

Anyway it really has ceased to be an issue due to the Welsh government's own actions
  • Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

That would be the Fox who fired Tucker Carlson and are now seen to be as infected with the woke liberal virus as the rest of them?
    Mr. Eagles, even the wise can err. I don't subscribe to the view you have to automatically agree with someone even if they're an expert. See also SAGE and lockdowns.

[I think it's a valid view that the long term use/Anglicisation, if you like, means adding an S is ok but it's contrary to the Latin and, worse, sounds bloody ugly. Stadia is clearly better. But that is a subjective view].
    edited August 1
    Good morning everyone. Enough quips.

Picking up "lidos with views of cathedrals", it's a bit of a challenge as cathedrals tend to be urban. Wild swimming with views may be a better option. The best option may be the seaside in the South, or pleasant churches which are not cathedrals next to rivers.

I can do you a castle, at St Andrews, and a tidal pool. But that's the North sea off Scotland, so it will freeze your balls off (1). Lots more castles (2). Hathersage Lido may have views of Peak District hills - @TSE can advise.

For cathedrals - Salisbury and the Avon, perhaps? Or use of Cathedral Schools pools in the summer - Salisbury school has an outdoor one.

The best would be the Minster Pool at Lichfield - they are running "Lichfield Beach" this summer, so that's a surprise. Local authority missed a trick.

I really can't see why urban open water swimming is so restricted.

My favourite would be Melbourne Poole, Derbyshire, near one of the top Norman Churches in the country, with Sheela-na-Gig. But Melbourne is a very Nimby sort of place; also the only place I have *ever* been asked not to inject insulin in a restaurant.

As things stand, try the Anchor Church, on the Rover Trent nr Ingleby. My photo for the day:

For more, I think there is a fighting chance that access legislation in England may get overhauled now the Landowners' Party are out, and that may include a universal-with-limitations right to navigate rivers as Scotland, including lake / reservoir access. Re-regulation of water companies may help.

(1) https://www.google.com/maps/place//@56.3402712,-2.7908208,197a,35y,44.95t/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1?entry=ttu
    (2)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/outdoorswimmingsociety/posts/10158494149857830/
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    We could experience a bit of “good” inflation in the next year or two.

Bad inflation is inflation in commodity and transportation prices as a result of scarcity. It makes everyone except farmers, miners and shipbuilders poorer.

Good inflation is inflation in services prices driven by pay growth. It reflects people being richer and having more money to spend on discretionary items.

We’ve seen recent deflation across a number of commodities but stubborn service sector price rises. This seems to worry the central banks but they should relax a bit. A bit of consumption driven service sector inflation is OK.
    edited August 1
    eek said:

The thing that convinced me that this speed reduction policy was a good idea was the stat that vehicles are getting heavier.

Getting hit at 20mph now is likely to be worse than being hit at 30mph some twenty/thirty years ago.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757

rcs1000 said:

It's a close run thing.

Until very recently, he had an aura of invincibility, thanks, inter alia, to a legal system where he's fixed the ultimate court of appeal.
    The media, along with the rest of the country's institutions - and our own foreign secretary - felt obliged to treat his toxic nonsense with a seriousness it has never deserved.
    That hasn't yet gone completely.

The poison he's injected into the country's politics will take some time to dissipate, even if/when Harris ends his political career.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Whereas we elected a Prime Minister who had been sacked from multiple jobs for lying and doesn't know how many children he has. That ended well.

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

That would be the Fox who fired Tucker Carlson and are now seen to be as infected with the woke liberal virus as the rest of them?
    I see your comment is rooted as in much reality as most of your other posts.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,252

Good morning, everyone.

Yes, we speak English. That’s why we should observe English grammatical conventions rather than Latin.

eek said:

Given the sector I work in, the thing that convinced me that this speed reduction policy was a good idea was the stat that vehicles are getting heavier.

Getting hit at 20mph now is likely to be worse than being hit at 30mph some twenty/thirty years ago.
    Just as well we are mandating even heavier vehicles with big batteries in them
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,689
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

I remember the SNL sketch after Trump's first debate against Hillary in 2016 where they cut 'live' to 'Hillary's campaign HQ' with everybody dancing and partying.

I was at the time conducting focus groups in the US where the issue of Trump was being brought up unprompted again and again by America's equivalent of our own working class. The idea that he was for them, while the media was for the elites.

To me, Trump's rants come off a bit like the deranged ramblings of your drunken uncle at the family get-together. But they clearly resonate with a significant portion of US society. Whereas the Kamala ramping reminds me of Milifandom - attempting to make something pretty stodgy seem cool. 'Kamala is brat'. Really? ...Really?

I think Kamala will look clear, insightful and intellectual when placed against Trump. But it only takes one comment, say, Hilary's 'basket of deplorables' to completely alienate an entire segment of voters. Plus the RCS point that incumbent governments round the world are getting a kicking due to the last few years of economic malaise and inflation.

Kamala is a massive improvement on Biden and I would be voting for her if I lived in the US. I also think the odds of her winning are closer to 50/50, so the current odds on offer are value. But it is definitely not a slam dunk as some posters on here are making out.

eek said:

The missing bit is that most road users are travelling considerably more than 20 mph with speeds of 25 mph plus and that some former 30mph roads are having the limit restored in September in accordance with the Welsh government's own guidance

There is no dispute that 20mph zones work when applied properly and indeed have widescale support

Anyway it really has ceased to be an issue due to the Welsh government's own actions
    There was nothing missing.

If the Welsh Government wish to allow speeds to be increased then that's up to them, but as those stats and TSE's comment makes clear - the speed reduction isn't a bad idea...
    edited August 1

eek said:

Given the sector I work in, the thing that convinced me that this speed reduction policy was a good idea was the stat that vehicles are getting heavier.

Dufferential speed limits for EVs would sort that. Max 50mph even on Motorways. 20mph in a 30mph limit.

Plus doubie VED and an excise duty on electricity used to charge as more wear on the roads.

Oh Yes
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    eek said:

Those are percentages. You also need the absolute value. If the 26% reduction in road casualties is from 10,000 to 7,400 then that is impressive. If it is from 50 to 37 then not so much.

You then have to establish how many road casualties is too many. No decision is without cost. You could reduce the casualties to zero by abolishing road transport. Since that is (I assume) not an option, then there must be an acceptable level of casualties. When that is known, we can put those numbers in context.

Politics in general would proceed better if these points were more widely applied, I feel. ☹️

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Whereas we elected a Prime Minister who had been sacked from multiple jobs for lying and doesn't know how many children he has. That ended well.
    Thames Water is just one of many examples of pisspoor administration by the last government. So focused on Brexit, stoking Culture War and graft to bother with the mundanities of competent administration.

They deserve an eternity on the Opposition benches.

Mr. Eagles, even the wise can err. I don't subscribe to the view you have to automatically agree with someone even if they're an expert. See also SAGE and lockdowns.

[I think it's a valid view that the long term use/Anglicisation, if you like, means adding an S is ok but it's contrary to the Latin and, worse, sounds bloody ugly. Stadia is clearly better. But that is a subjective view].

I am shocked that you didn't say even Homer nods Morris. Where is your classical education this morning?
    eek said:

eek said:

There was nothing missing.

If the Welsh Government wish to allow speeds to be increased then that's up to them, but as those stats and TSE's comment makes clear - the speed reduction isn't a bad idea...
    Applied properly it is a good idea
    viewcode said:

eek said:

Those are percentages. You also need the absolute value. If the 26% reduction in road casualties is from 10,000 to 7,400 then that is impressive. If it is from 50 to 37 then not so much.

You then have to establish how many road casualties is too many. No decision is without cost. You could reduce the casualties to zero by abolishing road transport. Since that is (I assume) not an option, then there must be an acceptable level of casualties. When that is known, we can put those numbers in context.

Politics in general would proceed better if these points were more widely applied, I feel. ☹️
    So you want the bit of the thread I didn't copy over - all you've done there is tell me you didn't click the link and read the whole thread...
    eek said:

But it takes folk an extra minute to get to Sainsbury's. So it is evil.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    I suspect that Trump's troubles yesterday will only motivate his base more given who was exposing his clear cognitive decline, racism and misogyny.
    The fact that Trump remains the clear favourite is mystifying. Perhaps his price is being propped up by MAGA supporters? I recall that many people were able to make a killing on betting against Trump being next President in 2020 after the election on the back old deluded MAGA punters.
    Mr. L, must admit, I've never heard that expression.

It's something of an old fashioned view.
    Both forms are, of course, valid. But unless you're an Oxford classicist, the Latinate form is a tad affected, these days.

eek said:

Dufferential speed limits for EVs would sort that. Max 50mph even on Motorways. 20mph in a 30mph limit.

Plus doubie VED and an excise duty on electricity used to charge as more wear on the roads.

Oh Yes
    Again even non EVs are getting heavier.
    edited August 1

eek said:

The thing that convinced me that this speed reduction policy was a good idea was the stat that vehicles are getting heavier.

Tax cars by weight cubed, and set speed limits by weight. Over 2t get 20 and under 1t gets 40, everyone else 30.

(and I’ll decide between a Lotus Elise and a Caterham Seven). ;)

eek said:

Oh Yes
    Being someone who likes to see flawed schemes implemented for the fun of it - I like that idea as it will create havoc on the motorways.

The actual fix would be to restrict EVs to 60mph (i.e. the same speed as lorries) which a lot of EV drivers do anyway...
  • It is very bad tempered on here this morning.

I remember how I could predict imminent thunderstorms at middle school by the amount of lunchtime playground fights that broke out.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

20mph would be a big increase in speeds on the M4 at Newport.

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Seems to me that the one consistent feature of his posts is their being rooted in talking points coming out of Moscow.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572

FPT

DavidL said:
    » show previous quotes

What does the Chancellor do about it? Well, she should start by making it clear that McQuarie do not get to repeat their efforts in another part of our infrastructure. The shareholders must be completely wiped out. The bond holders are going to have to suffer too so that people no longer treat our infrastructure like gilts when they are not. The special administrator should sue for at least the last dividend paid on the basis the business does not have distributable funds. All of this will help but if the water and sewage of a large part of the country is to continue to flow this is going to cost public money.

I cant see any other way but HMG will have to put its hand in its pocket. And while everyone is focussing on TW, lets not forget it has a large supply chain which is essential to keeping water flowing. TW has outsourced lots of key skills such as maintenance and cannot function if its suppliers are dragged down too. On the other hand those same suppliers of they survive will be ramming their prices up and demanding pro forma payment. Somebody is going to have to stump up the cash.

McQuarie - the same firm that took Wightlink ferries into massive debt, our ferry service originally having been Sealink as part of British Rail, and then sold it on to a Canadian private equity outfit. No wonder we have the highest ferry prices per mile in the world!
    Mr. B, I'd beg to differ. Grands Prix is correct. I wouldn't approve of Grand Prixes. Stadia is no different.

It is very bad tempered on here this morning.

I remember how I could predict imminent thunderstorms at middle school by the amount of lunchtime playground fights that broke out.

Don’t read last night’s thread. I just gave up on it, horribly bad tempered and abusive.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    Chief Constable in Southport: "“We remind all concerned that criminal proceedings against the defendant are active and that he has the right to a fair trial.

“It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary, or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.”

Sadly, good luck with that. Are they going to turn the Internet off?

Mr. B, I'd beg to differ. Grands Prix is correct. I wouldn't approve of Grand Prixes. Stadia is no different.

Of course, when Mr Eagles talks of Verstappen and Horner, he is right to say Grand Pricks.

eek said:

Not unless vehicle weights have more than doubled.

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Seems to me that the one consistent feature of his posts is their being rooted in talking points coming out of Moscow.
    Indeed.

The thing I find hysterical is his love of family values but also loves the pussy grabber.
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Thames Water is just one of many examples of pisspoor administration by the last government. So focused on Brexit, stoking Culture War and graft to bother with the mundanities of competent administration.

What absolute tosh. Macquarrie first came on the scene under Blair and were allowed to do what they did, All UK parties were happy to let the fiasco continue because they has "independent regulators. The regulator spent most of their time on box ticking nonsense rather than worrying about the fundamentals.

Now Labour are letting Macquarrie take control of our gas grid. I cant see that ending well.
    edited August 1

eek said:

In some roads it works very well. On roads clearly designed for higher speeds it is bloody dangerous.

One of the most frightening drives I ever had was observing the permanent 30mph speed limit on the 3 lane each way A13 "expressway"

Had not driven down it before so didn't know where the cameras were.
    Firstly watching the speedo all the time was a distraction.

Secondly looking in the rear mirror was terrifying as vehicles roared up brhind me then braked sharply and swerved.

Similar in 50mph roadworks limits on motorways where trucks drive on their EU mandated 56mph limiters and tailgate you.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

What absolute tosh. Macquarrie first came on the scene under Blair and were allowed to do what they did, All UK parties were happy to let the fiasco continue because they has "independent regulators. The regulator spent most of their time on box ticking nonsense rather than worrying about the fundamentals.

Now Labour are letting Macquarrie take control of our gas grid. I cant see that ending well.
    Although TBF they acquired 80% of it under the Tories.

How they are still allowed to operate in this country at all given their track record is beyond me, but no party has clean hands.
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

That's not true.
    It's an example of pisspoor administration since Thatcher privatised it.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

In a sensible world OfWat would be disbanded, as clearly unfit for purpose having seen the largest company they regulate go spectacularly bust. At best, we might see an expensive rebranding while the same people sit at the same desks doing the same jobs and ‘learning their lessons’.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,226
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Why do you put the blame for Thames Water on politicians as opposed to Ofwat whose actual purpose is to regulate the water companies.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    edited August 1
    kyf_100 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

I remember the SNL sketch after Trump's first debate against Hillary in 2016 where they cut 'live' to 'Hillary's campaign HQ' with everybody dancing and partying.

I was at the time conducting focus groups in the US where the issue of Trump was being brought up unprompted again and again by America's equivalent of our own working class. The idea that he was for them, while the media was for the elites.

To me, Trump's rants come off a bit like the deranged ramblings of your drunken uncle at the family get-together. But they clearly resonate with a significant portion of US society. Whereas the Kamala ramping reminds me of Milifandom - attempting to make something pretty stodgy seem cool. 'Kamala is brat'. Really? ...Really?

I think Kamala will look clear, insightful and intellectual when placed against Trump. But it only takes one comment, say, Hilary's 'basket of deplorables' to completely alienate an entire segment of voters. Plus the RCS point that incumbent governments round the world are getting a kicking due to the last few years of economic malaise and inflation.

Kamala is a massive improvement on Biden and I would be voting for her if I lived in the US. I also think the odds of her winning are closer to 50/50, so the current odds on offer are value. But it is definitely not a slam dunk as some posters on here are making out.

Very strong agree. But with two caveats:

* It is no longer 2016 (1) and the Democrats will have learned a lot of campaigning lessons since then in terms of where to focus resources. The Clinton campaign was disastrously poor in its targeting.

* It is no longer 2016 (2) and Independents have seen Trump in office, have seen his support for insurrection, have seen the Supreme Court overturn Roe v Wade and grant Trump (for it is him only) next to total immunity for actions he commits in office.

Trump's entire electoral strategy was predicated on Joe Biden being his opponent. He is struggling pivot his campaign to facing the mentally and physically agile Harris. His base is absolutely secure but it is not enough. He needs to find a way back to independents. Despite the caveats, I would not bet against him.

• bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196
    edited August 1
    viewcode said:

eek said:

This tweet gives the absolute figures: https://x.com/willhaycardiff/status/1818675059084403167

6 fewer deaths

17 fewer serious injuries

110 fewer slight injuries
    edited August 1
    ydoethur said:

Of course, when Mr Eagles talks of Verstappen and Horner, he is right to say Grand Pricks.
    I love Christian Horner.

His libido has given us a really fun F1 season and more importantly led to Max Verstappen's meltdown in Hungary.

I thought Sir Lewis winning his first F1 title in extraordinary circumstances in 2008 would be my favourite ever F1 memory, nope it was Verstappen moaning like a whore in Hungary 2024 and getting told to (effectively) STFU by his engineer.

eek said:

It is not as simplistic as that

Firstly it has had a major effect on bus timetables and the cancellation of some services.

Also the Welsh government would not have changed the guidance with some 30mph roads being reinstated in September

I recently drove extensively in Gwynedd and their 20mph policy is far more sensible and noticeably so than Conwy and Denbighshire

I would just say most commentators on the Welsh policy rarely if ever have actually travelled on the roads affected in Wales and experienced driving on them

I would also say the policy is not evil but sensible when applied appropriately
    edited August 1
    TimS said:

We could experience a bit of “good” inflation in the next year or two.

Bad inflation is inflation in commodity and transportation prices as a result of scarcity. It makes everyone except farmers, miners and shipbuilders poorer.

Good inflation is inflation in services prices driven by pay growth. It reflects people being richer and having more money to spend on discretionary items.

We’ve seen recent deflation across a number of commodities but stubborn service sector price rises. This seems to worry the central banks but they should relax a bit. A bit of consumption driven service sector inflation is OK.

Nominal wages are continuing to grow at more than 5% whilst inflation is 2%. We are, as a generality, getting richer. But we also have a lot of catching up to do after the inflation blip.
    eek said:

eek said:

DavidL said:

Really?

I went and looked at the actual figures rather than a write 300 words today to scare your readers article.
    Err, Brent Crude is up nearly 4% in the past 48 hours, having spent the last week falling. The reversal started with the news from Iran of the death of the Hamas guy.
    edited August 1
    Nigelb said:

eek said:

Not unless vehicle weights have more than doubled.
    Stat that I saw was that cars had become nearly 25% heavier since 2000 and 35% heavier since 1990.
    First F16s in the skies over Ukraine.

So it wasn't impossible, after all.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Why do you put the blame for Thames Water on politicians as opposed to Ofwat whose actual purpose is to regulate the water companies.
    Because the politicians have let Ofwat do a piss (other words for effluent can be substituted) poor job...
    edited August 1
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

How they are still allowed to operate in this country at all given their track record is beyond me, but no party has clean hands.
    Correct nobody can claim theyre clean- certainly not Thames catchment area. However while all are focusing on Thames the situation in the other Watercos isnt much better. Southern and South East are dead men walking. Welsh Water -disaster, but top prize must go to NI water who have polluted Lough Neagh to the point of killing it and who cant run basic services. In their defence this is mostly due to politicians who wont raise water charges for investment. But it will go beyond the point of recovery if they dont.
    viewcode said:

eek said:

Develop a risk matrix. Perform a QRA. Determine whether current risk levels are acceptable or if further mitigation is required. It's what we do in industry.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    Nigelb said:

First F16s in the skies over Ukraine.

So it wasn't impossible, after all.

Has this actually been confirmed. There have been some uncorroborated images, and at least one fake. Is it official?

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Macquarrie already own 80% of the gas grid. The purchase of the other 20% is really a tidying up exercise which thankfully allows the Government to have a say...
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,544

It is very bad tempered on here this morning.

Really?

Compared with recent evenings, it's an oasis of calm.

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Correct nobody can claim theyre clean- certainly not Thames catchment area. However while all are focusing on Thames the situation in the other Watercos isnt much better. Southern and South East are dead men walking. Welsh Water -disaster, but top prize must go to NI water who have polluted Lough Neagh to the point of killing it and who cant run basic services. In their defence this is mostly due to politicians who wont raise water charges for investment. But it will go beyond the point of recovery if they dont.
    Isn't the irony there that NI water is in the public sector - hence it rather destroys the argument that Nationalising the water companies will magically fix everything?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,727

eek said:

As a driving experience, Welsh roads are a pain. You can literally go from 60 -> 40 -> 30 -> 20 -> 30 -> 20 -> 40 -> 30 -> 20 -> 30 -> 40 -> 60 in the course of 2 miles. A driving holiday in Wales is no fun if, despite best efforts to be legal, you come home with 6 penalty points.
  • How long can Thames Water hold out ? Yet another debt downgrade.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/07/31/thames-water-troubles-mount-after-second-debt-downgrade/

Under what possible reason would the Chancellor to be blame if a private business fails? And why would one penny of taxpayers money be lost?

Privatise the gains, privatise the losses.

If they go bust, they go bust. They enter bankruptcy, the services continue but with the shareholders wiped out and the bondholders taking a haircut. They should have done better due diligence before investing, that's not the taxpayers responsibility.

Drop the interest payments and there's a sustainable business there, so post bondholder wipeout the business can continue operating, without taxpayers shouldering the costs.

No, and no.
    eek said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Macquarrie already own 80% of the gas grid. The purchase of the other 20% is really a tidying up exercise which thankfully allows the Government to have a say...
    Oh good Im sure theyll be responsible owners and the government will take an active interest in regulating them.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Because the politicians are in charge of OFWAT, and set their regulatory boundaries.

The incompetence and greed of the last government was not just over privatised utilities of course.

This country is going to need a lot of fixing. I am yet to be convinced that Labour are up to the job, but even they are a massive step up.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,727
    It's easy to see why MAGA folk wear nappies to Trump rallies.

They are literally losing their shit over Harris.
This discussion has been closed.