Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Will the felon debate the prosecutor? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,632
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nunu5 said:

Harry Enten says the Harris momentum is over hyped.

https://x.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1816849626139406757

He's really good.

He's talking about current poll numbers, though.
    Let's see what they are next week.

But yes, some good stuff. Here's an extreme demonstration of why I'm sceptical about VP selections 'delivering' their home state.

If JD Vance's popularity in his home region (-16 pts) is any sign, it won't get better for Vance nationally (where he's historically unpopular).

Also, Vance's favorable rating is just 5% with undecideds (i.e. not for Harris/Trump) in the prez race. His unfavorable rating is 29%.

https://x.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1816634155972673795
    Trump picking JD Vance is almost as inexplicable as Rishi calling a July election. Vance is universally unpopular, has links to Project 2025 from which Trump is trying to distance himself, hates cats and has no regard for Trump whom he called America's Hitler.
    "To increase his popularity, JD Vance plans to shoot his dog."
    An especially cute spaniel puppy?
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nunu5 said:

He's really good.

But yes, some good stuff. Here's an extreme demonstration of why I'm sceptical about VP selections 'delivering' their home state.

If JD Vance's popularity in his home region (-16 pts) is any sign, it won't get better for Vance nationally (where he's historically unpopular).

Also, Vance's favorable rating is just 5% with undecideds (i.e. not for Harris/Trump) in the prez race. His unfavorable rating is 29%.

Trump picking JD Vance is almost as inexplicable as Rishi calling a July election. Vance is universally unpopular, has links to Project 2025 from which Trump is trying to distance himself, hates cats and has no regard for Trump whom he called America's Hitler.
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nunu5 said:

He's really good.

Reckon Kristi "Killer" Noem (or is it Noome?) already got JD Vance's goat(ee)?
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,953
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Not sure I can tolerate this

Your train was cancelled?
    Even worse. I’ve booked into a 16th century palace overlooking the River Lot and it turns out THIS is my view. I have several other views - including one from my own tower

This is the place

https://www.booking.com/Share-veYCy9s

What makes it all worse is that - for my ancient fortified suite - I am paying £62 a night. So a bit less than a premier inn
    Heading into classic knife country?
    viewcode said:

Thread:

https://x.com/lavrovskyi/status/1816609537178370412

If this is genuinely Trump’s plan for Ukraine, I'm ready to buy a MAGA cap and wear it every day until he is elected.

It isn't tho, is it. He'll toss the Ukranians to the wolves and talk shit about how he is so big
    RobD said:

Cicero said:

It does begin to feel like Kamala may have gained some very big mo...

Begin? I think it was obvious from the start with the flurry of donations and volunteers.
    PLUS fact she secured backing in about 24 hours, of majority (now super-super majority) of delegates needed for Democratic nomination.

Also the ABSENCE of the much-touted (by usual PB suspects) "Democratic civil war".

Carnyx said:

From previous threads: There are two things I like about Mark Kelly, his military career and his science degrees. The value of the first -- both politically and in an elected office -- should be obvious; the value of the second is important in both, but often under rated.
    " He received a Bachelor of Science in marine engineering and nautical science from the United States Merchant Marine Academy, graduating with highest honors in 1986. In 1994, he received a Master of Science in aeronautical engineering from the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Kelly#Early_life_and_education

(If elected, Kelly would be the second naval aviator to be vice president; the first was, of course, GHWB.)

You are ignoring the "combat" aviation experience (singular) of then- US Navy officer Lyndon B. Johnson, who was awarded a Silver Star for this exploit, which was presented to him by FDR at a White House ceremony IIRC.

Though navy aviation record of George Bush the Elder AND Mark Kelly arguably more substantial!
    Jimmy CArter was a submariner at a time when they had to be very good engineers under Rickover, was he not? Admittedly no combat that I know about.
    Tricky Dicky also a USN man with a moderately distinguished war. Interesting how many sailors went on to govern.
    Richard Nixon's US Navy experience in WWII was IIRC on the legal & contracting fronts. Both important but NOT combat.

No active wars when Jimmy Carter was serving in USN, during the period that Admiral Hyman Rickover told him (and others) "Why not the best?"
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,767

viewcode said:

Thread:

If this is genuinely Trump’s plan for Ukraine, I'm ready to buy a MAGA cap and wear it every day until he is elected.

It isn't tho, is it. He'll toss the Ukranians to the wolves and talk shit about how he is so big
    RobD said:

Cicero said:

Begin? I think it was obvious from the start with the flurry of donations and volunteers.
    PLUS fact she secured backing in about 24 hours, of majority (now super-super majority) of delegates needed for Democratic nomination.

Also the ABSENCE of the much-touted (by usual PB suspects) "Democratic civil war".
    Folk memories of 1972 run deep.
    I suspect not a few US journalists imagined themselves penning a 2024 version of Fear & Loathing... and consciously or not, tried to apply their collective thumb to the scale.

History doesn't repeat like that though.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,472
    viewcode said:

Thread:

Where's the profit in the war for him and his immediate friends? As he's shown many times in his life, morality isn't the driving factor in any of his decision. Money is.
  • Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nunu5 said:

He's really good.

Look who's back. The Trump remake....
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761

viewcode said:

Thread:

Where's the profit in the war for him and his immediate friends? As he's shown many times in his life, morality isn't the driving factor in any of his decision. Money is.
    Which, considering his financial failures, doesn’t show him as successful.

viewcode said:

Thread:

I misread that as 'mortality.'
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,260

Nigelb said:

Forget baking soda; start crunching numbers.

How America’s Fastest Swimmers Use Math to Win Gold

https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-americas-fastest-swimmers-use-math-to-win-gold-20240710/
    ..Would you believe that we’ve never measured anyone who was more than 60% efficient in the four strokes — freestyle, breaststroke, butterfly and backstroke? It’s basically impossible. In April, we had Paige Madden wear force sensors, and we modeled the path of her hand as she took a stroke and recovered. We computed that in the first lap of her swim, 59.1% of the force her right hand generated was propelling her in the direction she wanted to go. That is awesome.

But by lap 8, only 42.1% was propelling her forward. Not only was she getting more tired, but her execution was starting to fall apart. So using just these insights from linear algebra, we gave her some cues about how to swim the race differently. And the next day, on lap 8, she was close to 50%. One month later, she swam her personal best.

Our paddles don’t let you lie. We don’t let you fool yourselves.

And this math works the same for all four strokes?

I’ve never been able to get our force sensors to work for breaststroke. There’s too much going on. I get data, but I can’t make heads or tails out of it...

I've started learning to swim 'properly' this year, ready to race. It's surprising how little actual strength or fitness is needed to swim fast: I swim with a couple of blokes considerably rounder than me, and who cannot run. Yet they'll swim a length ten or twenty seconds faster than me, and keep that pace up for 40 or more lengths. One of them sometimes completes three lengths in the time I take to do two, and he's older and looks far heavier than me. But his swimming technique looks effortless.

Swimming - at least at amateur level - is far more about technique than fitness. IMV running is the other way around, with fitness meaning much more than technique for most people.

As for cycling? I dunno. At the top level, like swimming, it'll be both strength and technique. But at a lower level? Would I be better off improving my strength, or getting a more aero bike setup?
    That's right on swimming. It's my exercise of choice and I have good crawl technique but poor breaststroke. Upshot is I'll be passed by almost anybody on breaststroke - I really am a slow moving object - but when it comes to crawl I absolutely motor. Over a length of crawl I can beat guys half my age who look like athletes. It surprises people to see it. But big caveat, only over a length. Two max. (25m pool). I can't keep going like that, full pelt crawl, for long distances. The reason isn't that my legs or arms get tired, I have quite good stamina there, it's lung capacity. I get out of breath. Only way I can swim say 20 lengths without a rest is by alternating fast and slow.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,253
    But Trump said that he would debate Harris. Is there anything about him that would suggest we can’t rely on his word?
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,211
    viewcode said:

Thread:

What does the Kyiv Independent think? https://kyivindependent.com/opinion-could-ukraine-survive-a-jd-vance-vice-presidency/

But Trump said that he would debate Harris. Is there anything about him that would suggest we can’t rely on his word?

Ridiculous.

I mean, he's a faithful husband.

He's never filed a false tax return.

He's never made illegal payments.

He scrupulously upheld his oath of office to defend the constitution.

And we know this because he tells us himself.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,253
    Incidentally, I think all this is only going one way. I know that the majority of people on here are decent people who value democratic accountability, and who’ve been mightily spooked by the prospect of a second Trump presidency. I think that’s why most of us can’t quite yet bring ourselves to believe that that horrific prospect is now over.
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 680
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-americas-fastest-swimmers-use-math-to-win-gold-20240710/
    ..Would you believe that we’ve never measured anyone who was more than 60% efficient in the four strokes — freestyle, breaststroke, butterfly and backstroke? It’s basically impossible. In April, we had Paige Madden wear force sensors, and we modeled the path of her hand as she took a stroke and recovered. We computed that in the first lap of her swim, 59.1% of the force her right hand generated was propelling her in the direction she wanted to go. That is awesome.

But by lap 8, only 42.1% was propelling her forward. Not only was she getting more tired, but her execution was starting to fall apart. So using just these insights from linear algebra, we gave her some cues about how to swim the race differently. And the next day, on lap 8, she was close to 50%. One month later, she swam her personal best.

I’ve never been able to get our force sensors to work for breaststroke. There’s too much going on. I get data, but I can’t make heads or tails out of it...

I've started learning to swim 'properly' this year, ready to race. It's surprising how little actual strength or fitness is needed to swim fast: I swim with a couple of blokes considerably rounder than me, and who cannot run. Yet they'll swim a length ten or twenty seconds faster than me, and keep that pace up for 40 or more lengths. One of them sometimes completes three lengths in the time I take to do two, and he's older and looks far heavier than me. But his swimming technique looks effortless.

Swimming - at least at amateur level - is far more about technique than fitness. IMV running is the other way around, with fitness meaning much more than technique for most people.

As for cycling? I dunno. At the top level, like swimming, it'll be both strength and technique. But at a lower level? Would I be better off improving my strength, or getting a more aero bike setup?
    That's right on swimming. It's my exercise of choice and I have good crawl technique but poor breaststroke. Upshot is I'll be passed by almost anybody on breaststroke - I really am a slow moving object - but when it comes to crawl I absolutely motor. Over a length of crawl I can beat guys half my age who look like athletes. It surprises people to see it. But big caveat, only over a length. Two max. (25m pool). I can't keep going like that, full pelt crawl, for long distances. The reason isn't that my legs or arms get tired, I have quite good stamina there, it's lung capacity. I get out of breath. Only way I can swim say 20 lengths without a rest is by alternating fast and slow.
    Swimming is my excercise of choice - and I swim faster than most other people (apart from competitive swimmers). I usually only swim 20 lengths at a time but alternate between 2x25m crawl/fast sprint followed by 2×25m breast/recovery. It is excellent for good all round excercise
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796

Incidentally, I think all this is only going one way. I know that the majority of people on here are decent people who value democratic accountability, and who’ve been mightily spooked by the prospect of a second Trump presidency. I think that’s why most of us can’t quite yet bring ourselves to believe that that horrific prospect is now over.

I don't think it's over! I was heartened by her showing Netanyahu the door and Sir Keir doing even more with his dismissal of the thoroughly rancid folk at the board of Deputies. Labour and Starmer are surprising us all!

• DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 659
    Andy_JS said:

The French security forces should have guessed something like this might have happened with regard to high speed trains. Such an obvious way of causing huge disruption.

Do we know who's done it yet?

Or alternatively, groupthink is leading us into hopecasting.

Mind you I remain long Kamala. And Shapiro actually, although I am trading around that position.
    Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Thread:

RobD said:

Cicero said:

I suspect not a few US journalists imagined themselves penning a 2024 version of Fear & Loathing... and consciously or not, tried to apply their collective thumb to the scale.

Do NOT think that situation in 1972 is comparable to 2024.

Nixon was incumbent and was always the clear favorite for re-election, anti-war protests and the still-developing Watergate scandal notwithstanding.

And despite winning the Democratic nomination, George McGovern was the weakest opponent versus the Dems could have fielded - and did - versus Nixon.

Andy_JS said:

The French security forces should have guessed something like this might have happened with regard to high speed trains. Such an obvious way of causing huge disruption.

If it is incendiary devices on cabling or cable boxes, then you have thousands of kms to police...
    IIRC the Wehrmacht & etc. in France, most especially the murderers of Das Reich division, learned this the HARD way in June 1940.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,242

Leon said:

I think this seals my thesis that this corner of France is incredibly undertouristed, despite its beauty, and is thus - if you research right - remarkably good value

How can that place be £62 a night?? In an actual palace with some of the finest river views I’ve ever seen - and in a luscious little medieval town?

£62. That’s less than a travelodge. In Newent

In rural France, there is no shortage of housing. There is also much less resistance to commercial development.

Outside a few mad tourist areas, that’s the kind of price you pay for a really good hotel room.
    I do this for a living and this is absolutely not my experience

For a suite in a 16th century “palace” overlooking a stunning river surrounded by parks and medieval
    streets in a beautiful corner of France I’d expect to pay £200 at least - especially over a weekend in high summer

The rooms are 3 star but with some nice antiques.
    Also: it’s a suite! You get a kitchen and a living room and a chamber in the tower

The town it turns out is slightly neglected. Lovely in the centre but a little rundown - nothing terrible - it’s still got a Michelin restaurant and a sweet market and people fish in the very centre of the city

But maybe that knocks it down to £100-£150

£62 is fucking ridiculous. On a weekend in late July!!
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

I've got to the stage now where I can swim a 25-metre pool taking only one breathe in the middle. At least some of the time, and only for one length. And I'm not going my fastest. I think it's a compromise between going too fast and burning up all the oxygen in your lungs / building up CO2, and going so slowly you run out of oxygen.

I also swim front crawl symmetrically; always breathing on my left, because my neck mobility isn't what it is. I'm slowly getting better on my right. If I'm swimming a long way, I breathe every four or six strokes.

I've started to love swimming - and so has my son. He just did 26 lengths (650 metres) earlier today. Not fast, and his technique is even worse than mine, but not bad for someone who's just turned ten. And he's keen - he's asked to go swimming three times this week.

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Thread:

RobD said:

Cicero said:

Nixon was incumbent and was always the clear favorite for re-election, anti-war protests and the still-developing Watergate scandal notwithstanding.

And despite winning the Democratic nomination, George McGovern was the weakest opponent versus the Dems could have fielded - and did - versus Nixon.
    I don't think it's anything like it, either. (And I personally have Harris as favourite, now.)

But I think not a few pundits were nostalgic for some 1972 style Democratic infighting - which if this had gone down any differently, might just have been the case.
  • The press are full off flood doom in Paris tonight but the Met Office Rain Radar shows no rain now or in the last six hours in the area?
    Instead, it's the GOP who are currently in a touch of disarray.

Some House Republicans slam Vance as Trump’s VP pick: ‘The worst choice’
    https://thehill.com/homenews/4793818-vance-vp-trump-house-republicans/
    I didn't think I could love my OpenSwim Pro headphones more than I did - but I do!

Yes, dear readers, I did the thing no engineer should ever do.

I Read The Frigging Manual... ;)
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,842
    Penddu2 said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Swimming is my excercise of choice - and I swim faster than most other people (apart from competitive swimmers). I usually only swim 20 lengths at a time but alternate between 2x25m crawl/fast sprint followed by 2×25m breast/recovery. It is excellent for good all round excercise
    That's quite similar to what I have been doing recently. I've been swimming regularly for 9 months and I'm still trying to work out the best approach. I was doing 40 x 25 yards lengths nonstop, breaststroke one way, (technique poor) and front crawl the other way, technique fair. But I started to get bored of this and wasn't sure how much good it was doing me. So now I am doing 4 gentle lengths, alternating breastsroke and crawl, then 2 front crawl lengths as fast as I can x 4, with 4 minutes rest between each two lengths. Then 2 breaststroke lengths as fast as I can x 2, with 4 minutes rest between each two lengths. Then a repeat of the 4 gentle lengths at the end. What do you think? I think I would struggle to do more fast lengths than I am doing currently.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    The guy who had his head brutally kicked in has EIGHT members of his extended family who are members of the police force.

https://x.com/georgegalloway/status/1816859486952329528 (ok so the source is George Galloway, but that is an mazing twist if true).
    ydoethur said:

Ridiculous.

And he himself said "many people are saying this".
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    Nunu5 said:

ydoethur said:

Ridiculous.

And he himself said "many people are saying this".
    Everyone knows it. It's the thing everyone knows.
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Thread:

RobD said:

Cicero said:

I don't think it's anything like it, either. (And I personally have Harris as favourite, now.)

But I think not a few pundits were nostalgic for some 1972 style Democratic infighting - which if this had gone down any differently, might just have been the case.
    Though note that the "pundits" referenced appear to be WAY more ideological spinners instead of bona fide analysts.
    https://x.com/georgegalloway/status/1816859486952329528

Harris surges past Trump on favorability.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,242
    On exercise. While staying at my ex-army exercise-mad friend’s house in Provence a couple of weeks ago I noticed he had a 20kg kettlebell

Never tried it before. thought I’d give it a go. 20 minute HIIT each day

I can honestly say it’s the best exercise I’ve ever done in terms of making me feel better and fitter and giving me that testosterone boost. Bloody heavy but so effective

Add in some walking in Provençal woods and daily sunbathing and by the end of ten days I was feeling perky as all fuckettyperk

The great advantage of a kettlebell is that you don’t need a gym or a pool. Its just there
    Nigelb said:

The next big shakeout in the global EV industry is probably not that far off.

“Thailand now has 490,000 unsold EVs, according to the Electric Vehicle Association of Thailand (EVAT), equivalent to 63% of all vehicles the country turned out in the past 12 months.”

Thai subsidies for Chinese EV makers wreak havoc..

https://x.com/dunne_insights/status/1816681296518873575

Biden was right to impose tariffs on Chinese EV makers.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    Nunu5 said:

Wrong link?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,607

Nunu5 said:

Wrong link?
    A Galloway/Harris crossover wasn't expected.

"Would you like me to be the cat lady?"
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,097
    Nunu5 said:

The guy who had his head brutally kicked in has EIGHT members of his extended family who are members of the police force.

https://x.com/georgegalloway/status/1816859486952329528 (ok so the source is George Galloway, but that is an mazing twist if true).

The messages from Paul Waugh MP that we discussed this morning told us as much, except for specifying a number:-

The family have told me they certainly do not want to become the centre of a media circus either. They want the privacy and time to allow them to heal, physically and mentally.

This is a hard working Rochdale family, some of whose members are police officers themselves and are therefore particularly shocked at what they have witnessed.

https://x.com/paulwaugh/status/1816547070628757682

Nunu5 said:

Wrong link?

Cat lady beats pussy grabber!
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,969
    Have the GOP got time to dump Trump? :D
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229

I didn't think I could love my OpenSwim Pro headphones more than I did - but I do!

I have them and also love them for swimming.
    Penddu2 said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

So we have the exact same routine. 500m alternating fast slow. I try and do it every weekday afternoon. The swimming.
  • WildernessPt2WildernessPt2 Posts: 305
    Nunu5 said:

Nigelb said:

The next big shakeout in the global EV industry is probably not that far off.

“Thailand now has 490,000 unsold EVs, according to the Electric Vehicle Association of Thailand (EVAT), equivalent to 63% of all vehicles the country turned out in the past 12 months.”

Thai subsidies for Chinese EV makers wreak havoc..

https://x.com/dunne_insights/status/1816681296518873575

Biden was right to impose tariffs on Chinese EV makers.
    Trump was right to call out the threat of China to the economic security of the USA. He did it loudly and was called racist for doing so.
    Leon said:

On exercise. While staying at my ex-army exercise-mad friend’s house in Provence a couple of weeks ago I noticed he had a 20kg kettlebell

I can honestly say it’s the best exercise I’ve ever done in terms of making me feel better and fitter and giving me that testosterone boost. Bloody heavy but so effective

Add in some walking in Provençal woods and daily sunbathing and by the end of ten days I was feeling perky as all fuckettyperk

The great advantage of a kettlebell is that you don’t need a gym or a pool. Its just there

I messed my shoulder with a kettlebell a decade ago and it still isnt right, be careful how you use them.
    Leon said:

20kg is heavy. What do you do with it exactly?
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,549
    ydoethur said:

GIN1138 said:

Have the GOP got time to dump Trump? :D

They've had four fecking years.
    Presumably they could if they had to.

But Trump might be harder to shift than Biden. And the heir apparent is JD Blooming Vance...

I would vote for Trump without a second thought when the alternative was Biden or Harris. But, i'm not American so I dont get a choice.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,097
    Liam Fox persuaded Natalie Imbruglia to release breakthrough hit Torn
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/26/liam-fox-natalie-imbruglia-breakthrough-hit-torn/ (£££)

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

I've got to the stage now where I can swim a 25-metre pool taking only one breathe in the middle. At least some of the time, and only for one length. And I'm not going my fastest. I think it's a compromise between going too fast and burning up all the oxygen in your lungs / building up CO2, and going so slowly you run out of oxygen.

I also swim front crawl symmetrically; always breathing on my left, because my neck mobility isn't what it is. I'm slowly getting better on my right. If I'm swimming a long way, I breathe every four or six strokes.

I've started to love swimming - and so has my son. He just did 26 lengths (650 metres) earlier today. Not fast, and his technique is even worse than mine, but not bad for someone who's just turned ten. And he's keen - he's asked to go swimming three times this week.
    All sounds great. And another big plus for swimming (for the older unit such as me) - zero joint risk.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,575
    Paris has clearly had a good look at London 2012’s opening ceremony and borrowed some of our better ideas
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    IanB2 said:

Paris has clearly had a good look at London 2012’s opening ceremony and borrowed some of our better ideas

I just saw it on the tv but I thought the French bicentennial celebrations were amazing.
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,867

Nigelb said:

Nunu5 said:

He's really good.

But now, JD Vance is trumpier than Trump and has said he would have done what Pence was not prepared to do. So in Trump's mind, the injured conquering hero from the Biden debate and the assassination attempt was assured of a massive election win. He didn't need anyone to appeal to those voters Trump had difficulty with, he just needed someone whose loyalty to Trump was 100% and who was young enough to carry on trumpism into the future. Shame about the beard though.
    Biden played a masterstroke, deliberately or not, by waiting until Trump had picked Vance before withdrawing.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

All sounds great. And another big plus for swimming (for the older unit such as me) - zero joint risk.
    Negative on the zero joint risk, I have been warned that if I swim breast stroke my shiny new hips will pop out of their shiny new sockets like shots from a catapult. Mind you, this has yet to happen after 4 years (and I can only do breast stroke).
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    IanB2 said:

I’m watching events in Paris with a coned-dog just back this afternoon from his £2,500 emergency bladder surgery yesterday - on Thursday he was just a day or so from a rather nasty death.

Poor pup! Hope insurance will cover at least some of it!
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,874
    Carnyx said:

O/T but as it is teatime on Friday ... Flow Country of Caithness declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv2gz1p2v12o

I hope that it helps keep it clear of turd-shaped hotels better this time round ...

Is the flow country deep enough to swallow people bodily?

Can we get Mr Trump to visit?
    edited July 26
    DougSeal said:

IanB2 said:

I’m watching events in Paris with a coned-dog just back this afternoon from his £2,500 emergency bladder surgery yesterday - on Thursday he was just a day or so from a rather nasty death.

Poor pup! Hope insurance will cover at least some of it!
    I don’t believe in insurance. But I have been putting what would have been his premiums aside, which is more than enough to cover it. My worry is about a reoccurrence, which is now a 50/50 bet.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,533
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

20kg is heavy. What do you do with it exactly?
    I think I'd look at it, suspiciously.
    Boatload of refugees followed by one of Afghans, then Albania. Are we being trolled?

Nigelb said:

You need to be over on road.cc :smile: .
    Clever of the French to get the athletes’ parade underway so early in the proceedings
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    I now know there is a place called Aruba.

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368
    Small boats 🤷

Boatload of refugees followed by one of Afghans, then Albania. Are we being trolled?

At the moment though they are in France.

The boats may head up to the Channel later I suppose. :smile:
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

As regular readers will know (and be bored to death with...) I come from a long-distance walking background, then due to lack of time, took up running. My latest thing is triathlon, and I'm really finding the training to be fun. Running day after day was a bit boring, so I find mixing cycling (badly), running (badly) and swimming (badly) to be really good, even when I do two of them a day. And I'm getting fewer backaches and other twinges.

Multisport is cool.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,906
    Carnyx said:

O/T but as it is teatime on Friday ... Flow Country of Caithness declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

I hope that it helps keep it clear of turd-shaped hotels better this time round ...

What a disaster. A large Barrett development there would've have completely resolved the housing crisis in Edinburgh, drawing the university, government and finance sectors to Wick/Thurso. Bloody NIMBYs.

The developer would have absolutely resolved moisture issues before 25 year olds placed their £30,000 deposits and signed up to £170,000 mortgages. Oh yes.
    edited July 26
    Bit of a fail to import American talent. Where is Jonny Halliday? Where is plastic Bertrand?
    On the currently Hot Topic of just how BAD a choice Donald Trump has made by picking J.D. Vance as his running mate:

For starters, we REALLY won't know for some time, ultimately until after the First Tuesday after the First Monday this November.

Even then, always speculative & otherwise debatable, just how much difference even a bad VP pick makes on voting for POTUS which of course is the real deal; perhaps the best example of likely significant impact, is Lyndon Johnson helping John Kennedy carry Texas in 1960 by just 46k votes out of 2.3 million cast; note that the Eisenhower-Nixon ticket carried the Lone Star State handily in both 1952 and 1956.

With that out of the way (sorta) here a my initial nominations for BAD VP selections, in chronological order:

> Aaron Burr (1800) the Republican Party (sometime called Democratic-Republican back then and by convention by historians since) nominee, famously tied with POTUS candidate Thomas Jefferson, with subsequent thrills and spills, duels and conspiracies. BUT under different rules than in subsequent elections.

> John Tyler (1840) running mate to Whig Party's first POTUS William Henry Harrison; HOWEVER Tyler was a dissident Democrat, and when WHH died a month or so after inauguration ,Tyler ascended to the Presidency (first VP > POTUS in US history) and proceeded to royally screw the Whigs royally.

> Andrew Johnson (1864) running mate to Republican Party's first POTUS Abraham Lincoln; BUT Johnson was a War Democrat selected to validate the "Union Party" label and attract pro-Union voters NOT enamored with the Emancipation Proclamation. When Andy became President upon Abe's assassination at end of Civil War, he quickly reverted back to being a Democrat which at that time mean being pro-former Confederate and ANTI-Black. Which led to the ultimately failed impeachment of Andrew Johnson.

Then a LONG interlude during which VP selections had relatively little impact on POTUS results on way or another. Party tickets were balanced geographically as a rule, but on a REGIONAL basis rather than focusing on particular states; a few exceptions (perhaps) tend to prove the rule.

> NOTE in this context that in the very close 1916 election, both VP running mates were from Indiana: Thomas Marshall for incumbent Democrat Woodrow Wilson (same as 1912) and Charles Fairbanks for Republican Hughes. In 1912 Wilson carried the great Hoosier State easily, due to split GOP vote Taft vs Teddy; in 1916 Hughes won Indiana by close margin, with made the national result closer by he & Fairbanks still lost to WW and Marshall.

BONUS FACT - Thomas Marshall was most famous (or know at all) for uttering the classic American statement: "What this country needs is a good 5-cent cigar." While few are saying this about any tobacco products these days, the general sentiment remains deeply impeded in our National Character.

Next installment shortly . . .
    Nunu5 said:

If that's the case why was the whole violently resisting arrest thing going on?

(Judging by Guido, and I'll accept that it may be exaggerated, his lawyer is a piece of work:
    https://order-order.com/2024/07/26/lawyer-representing-two-men-attacked-by-police-was-pro-gaza-candidate-probed-over-false-racism-claim/)
    Jonathan said:

Bit of a fail to import American talent. Where is Jonny Halliday? Where is plastic Bertrand?

Hallyday. Too dead.

Nigelb said:

Nunu5 said:

He's really good.

But now, JD Vance is trumpier than Trump and has said he would have done what Pence was not prepared to do. So in Trump's mind, the injured conquering hero from the Biden debate and the assassination attempt was assured of a massive election win. He didn't need anyone to appeal to those voters Trump had difficulty with, he just needed someone whose loyalty to Trump was 100% and who was young enough to carry on trumpism into the future. Shame about the beard though.
    Biden played a masterstroke, deliberately or not, by waiting until Trump had picked Vance before withdrawing.
    The problem is how they are handling Vance. And how he is operating/performing.

If Trump campaign used him as an appeal to rust belt, fucked-up, left behind towns wrecked by opioids then maybe it would work. Penn is massively crucial state for ECV. Wisconsin similar. Ohio looks in Trump bag but Vance back story should help anyway. He has a story so good they made a Netflix movie for god's sake (which incidentally is what Trump was drawn to imho - he loves TV land).

Instead they have let Vance loose on his own into a cat-shitting world of musing vaguely on stuff he doesn't like. IVF for example.

And women.

Apart from his mamaw.

It is indicative of a campaign short on discipline which given this is Trump does not surprise me.

ydoethur said:

Nunu5 said:

Wrong link?

Cat lady beats pussy grabber!
    Certainly NOT surprising, that Kamala Harris wouldn't allow George Galloway anywhere near her closer than double-barge pole distance.

Preferably interval of one or two counties at minimum.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    "Steerpike
    Could these be the online comments of young Kemi Badenoch?"

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/could-these-be-the-online-comments-of-young-kemi-badenoch/
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 401
    edited July 26
    lol @ the Croissant woman in the pink parade!

Not a patch on London 2012, so far.

C’mon France, surely it gets better than this?
    Are the rumours true and Team GB are sailing up the Seine on HMS Victory?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

What a disaster. A large Barrett development there would've have completely resolved the housing crisis in Edinburgh, drawing the university, government and finance sectors to Wick/Thurso. Bloody NIMBYs.

The developer would have absolutely resolved moisture issues before 25 year olds placed their £30,000 deposits and signed up to £170,000 mortgages. Oh yes.
    And paid for all the sewerage, water supply, broadband and leccy and gas to be installed beforehand. Oh yes.
    edited July 26
    IanB2 said:

I’m watching events in Paris with a coned-dog just back this afternoon from his £2,500 emergency bladder surgery yesterday - on Thursday he was just a day or so from a rather nasty death. Lucky I rushed him to the vets before his bladder burst or kidneys failed.

That's a big cone.
    (Dog for scale.)

Get well soon pup.

The pink puttees are natty

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Negative on the zero joint risk, I have been warned that if I swim breast stroke my shiny new hips will pop out of their shiny new sockets like shots from a catapult. Mind you, this has yet to happen after 4 years (and I can only do breast stroke).
    Ah ok. That we do not want. But hopefully in the clear after 4 years. They'll have locked in good and proper by now.

Knees though. You won't do your knees in, swimming.

You know we always do this stuff better than than the onion sellers.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

And paid for all the sewerage, water supply, broadband and leccy and gas to be installed beforehand. Oh yes.
    And capture the methane from the bog to use as fuel.

You have betrayed sacred "Anglo-Saxon" tradition upheld for centuries by UKers and USAers of all colors, creeds, genders, etc., etc.

HAVE YOU NO SHAME?!?!

I would vote for Trump without a second thought when the alternative was Biden or Harris. But, i'm not American so I dont get a choice.
    A thoughtless Trump supporter ... surely not.

You know we always do this stuff better than than the onion sellers.
    Not fair. It's only the Bretons who used to come round here with the onions on their bikes. Inyen Johnnies they were called locally.
    edited July 26

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

And capture the methane from the bog to use as fuel.
    Once it's buggered ...

Just thinking of the rush hour at Bonar Bridge, too. It's already atrocious.

Edit: not to mention the dangerous platform crowding and leaves on the line at Georgemas Junction.
    french builders still use a handsaw by looks of that video.
    Wow.

Vance to Megyn Kelly on "childless cat ladies": "Obviously it was a sarcastic comment. I’ve got nothing against cats. ... People are focusing so much on the sarcasm and not on the substance … and the substance of what I said, Megyn — I’m sorry, it is true."
    https://x.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1816874356498161823

Nothing against the cats, but as for the women...
    edited July 26
    Headphones for swimming? That's baffling to me.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,026
    I normally hate opening ceremonies, and I am no Francophile, but I don't hate this. Fair play to the French - they are just so unapologetically French.
    Better than we managed in 2012, anyway, cameos from the Queen and Brian May aside.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,017

First time the teams have not paraded in the stadium. Seems France prefers them sailing along the Seine serenaded by Lady Gaga
    Nigelb said:

Wow.

Vance to Megyn Kelly on "childless cat ladies": "Obviously it was a sarcastic comment. I’ve got nothing against cats. ... People are focusing so much on the sarcasm and not on the substance … and the substance of what I said, Megyn — I’m sorry, it is true."

For a bright man, he really is an idiot.

'People get offended and don't realise I was being sarcastic, but it's true anyway.'

I mean, WTF?
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369

french builders still use a handsaw by looks of that video.

Starmer’s dad made that handsaw. He was a toolmaker do t you know.

Want Gargantua and a goose. Homage to Great Old Men of French Letters and all that.

• boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    This is like an extended version of those wanky bits between Eurovision songs showing off a part of the entrant’s country.

Amazingly even more camp.
    Beijing perfected the opening ceremony as an exhibition of mass human performance, which could never be excelled.

London countered by staging a mass appeal ceremony while relying on the media coverage to zero in on numerous small scale human performances within the whole.

Paris has cleverly moved on to create a ceremony from a series of human scale performances, along its river.
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Wow.

For a bright man, he really is an idiot.

'People get offended and don't realise I was being sarcastic, but it's true anyway.'

I mean, WTF?
    It's a GOP thing.

Burchett says he regrets calling Harris DEI hire, ‘but it was the truth’
    https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4790436-tim-burchett-regrets-vice-president-comments/
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,026
    Andy_JS said:

"Steerpike

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/could-these-be-the-online-comments-of-young-kemi-badenoch/

Jesus. That's the worst they have on her? I'm pretty confident if someone were to trawl this site for things to hold against any one of us they could find worse.
    edited July 26
    Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

"Steerpike

Jesus. That's the worst they have on her? I'm pretty confident if someone were to trawl this site for things to hold against any one of us they could find worse.
    That's a right-wing magazine, though. Not entirely unbiased, or at least arguably likely to be selective in what it publishes about whom it presumably supports. Now if it were New Statesman or Socialist Worker ...
This discussion has been closed.