Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Will the felon debate the prosecutor? – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    Fffs said:

Fffs said:

How have they done that?!

Wires. It’s dark, classic stage magic.
    Strung from where?
    Don5 know, it’s dark and there weren’t good camera shots all round.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,211
    BBC commentators struggling to say nice things about the ceremony.

BBC commentators struggling to say nice things about the ceremony.

Just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    Will it be Trump or Harris overseeing LA 2028?

Can you imagine the opening ceremony if it is the former?

Jonathan said:

The lighting of the cauldron in 1992 was by far the best.

Flaming arrow? Wasn’t it fake though? As in the arrow didn’t actually light it?
    The arrow did light it, but the arrow didn’t land in it. The flaming arrow was aimed to pass through the gas cloud accumulating above the cauldron, and did so successfully.

Jonathan said:

Flaming arrow? Wasn’t it fake though? As in the arrow didn’t actually light it?
    The arrow did light it, but the arrow didn’t land in it. The flaming arrow was aimed to pass through the gas cloud accumulating above the cauldron, and did so successfully.
    I must have misremembered. I thought there was a separate mechanism involved as back up
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    Jonathan said:

It was, but 1996 was the Greatest.

Marie Le Conte
    @youngvulgarian

god I'm feeling patriotic, we're just so unapologetically weird
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,542
    Cookie said:

Tom Tugendhat was labelled as the 'centrist' or 'liberal' or my favourite 'one nation' Tory but here he is standing up for the Jews at a general election hustings in a way one would normally only associate with hard right culture warriors.

https://x.com/lewisUTBdenison/status/1816503419743404219

Is your position that it is a bad or extremist thing to be standing up for Jews?
    Everyone SHOULD do it but if you look at those in the UK who have taken a clear public stand since last October it's generally been those on the right - Braverman, Jenrick, GB News. The rank cowardice of the liberal establishment is a disgrace.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,534

Marie Le Conte
    @youngvulgarian

god I'm feeling patriotic, we're just so unapologetically weird

I rewatched Blue Velvet tonight. Splendidly weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtjiVTSs8pc

Cookie said:

Tom Tugendhat was labelled as the 'centrist' or 'liberal' or my favourite 'one nation' Tory but here he is standing up for the Jews at a general election hustings in a way one would normally only associate with hard right culture warriors.

Is your position that it is a bad or extremist thing to be standing up for Jews?
    Everyone SHOULD do it but if you look at those in the UK who have taken a clear public stand since last October it's generally been those on the right - Braverman, Jenrick, GB News. The rank cowardice of the liberal establishment is a disgrace.
    Both the current and previous Prime Minister have also done so too.

Hence the anger and ire of the Hamas apologists.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    Speaking of rainstorms, in final stage of 1944 presidential campaign, Franklin Roosevelt undertook a five-borough motorcade in open-top car across New York City. In severely inclement weather for most of the journey.

Speculation concerning his health was already rife, as shown to voters across the USA in a few instances via newsreels and press photos. So Roosevelt was convinced that he needed to be seen by the people - masses of people - campaigning in his accustomed style.

Which FDR proceeded to do. With at least one pit stop where he was striped down, dried off and massaged until he was in reasonable shape to go back out and do it some more.

Believe that his attitude was, it was necessary in order for him to secure re-election as POTUS. And that his this was in the national interest, to help win the war AND the peace (if that was possible). Also that Roosevelt fully realized that millions of Americans were enduring WAY worse in the service of their country.

• Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    Herbert Hoover's career before becoming president is most impressive, mining engineer all over the world, fed the Belgians during WW I, Ukrainians and Russians afterwards.

His wife, Lou Henry Hoover, did something very daring for the time: She invited some ladies in for tea at the White House:
    "When African American candidate Oscar Stanton De Priest was elected to Congress, Hoover initiated a meeting for tea at the White House with his wife Jessie De Priest, as was tradition for the wives of all incoming Congressmen. Hoover was responsible for planning the event to ensure its success.[78] She arranged the scheduling so that only women she trusted would attend, and she alerted White House security that Mrs. De Priest was to be expected and not barred entry.[79] Hoover chose not to publicize the details of De Priest's attendance until after it occurred so as to avoid interruptions.[80] The event became part of a larger debate on racial issues as Southern voters protested the invitation of a Black woman."
    (Links omitted.)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Henry_Hoover#White_House_hostess

(Incidentally, the De Priests were Republicans, as were most American blacks, at that time.)

So, naturally, was Hoover's vice president, Charles Curtis,"A member of the Kaw Nation born in the Kansas Territory, Curtis was the first Native American and first person in a racial minority group to reach either of the highest offices in the federal executive branch."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Curtis
    SO who(m) were the Good, Bad, Ugly and Just Plane Weird from the March of the Nations?
  • AnthonyTAnthonyT Posts: 36

Did anything tonight come anywhere close to this from 2012?

https://x.com/Surreycricfan/status/1816895320854335801

The pianist's mother had died that very morning. Makes his performance all the more impressive.
    The French PM looks like he just walked off the set of the Inbetweeners.

:lol:
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,542

Cookie said:

The Hamas apologists are angry because of our policy over Gaza rather than due to a robust stance on antisemitism in the UK. When you have the leading Rabbi in Paris urging young Jews to leave France for a safer country it's a profound warning that we should be heeding.
  • VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,521

Fffs said:

Fffs said:

Strung from where?
    Helium balloon once lit was released to rise of its own accord?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,768
    It sounded a bit meh at the time, but I think we can now go with this.

Chris Christie: “You're afraid of being on this stage and defending your record [...] You keep doing that, nobody up here's gonna keep calling you Donald Trump, we're gonna call you Donald DUCK."
    (September 2023)

https://x.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1816648066448904444
    Emmanuel Macron
    @EmmanuelMacron
    ·
    30m

This is France!

Cookie said:

The Hamas apologists are angry because of our policy over Gaza rather than due to a robust stance on antisemitism in the UK. When you have the leading Rabbi in Paris urging young Jews to leave France for a safer country it's a profound warning that we should be heeding.
    And its a warning that people across the political spectrum, including the French President too, have been heeding.

The "liberal establishment" as you put it have been robustly standing against antisemitism. Quite rightly too.

It is a shame there is so much of it, especially in the far left and far right circles.
    .JD Vance: “I’ve got nothing against cats”

Fffs said:

Fffs said:

Strung from where?
    But will need to be under control.
    Massive win by US DEA.
  • VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,521

Fffs said:

Fffs said:

Strung from where?
    But will need to be under control.
    Ground tether?

Plus mechanism to stop too much sway in the wind?

"...But I wish to control women's wombs."
  • KnightOutKnightOut Posts: 115

'Hard-right culture warriors stand up for the Jews'?

Have you read any 20th century history?
    Post-war Soviet Revisionism rather than history per se.

We've allowed a specific narrative to take hold, but contemporary Western reporting of the rise of Nazism didn't generally describe it as hard or far right. Or 'right' at all. Totalitarian, Nationalistic, Fascist - it was described in many ways but not really as a position on a Left-Right spectrum.

In the years they followed it became very important for the Eastern Bloc to distance and differentiate their own brand of Authoritarianism by othering the defeated regime. Communism was already accepted as far left, so it was convenient to forge a narrative where Nazism was the opposite, and therefore 'far right', conflating that side with evil and their own with good.

It was reductive, simplistic and absolutely fucking bollocks of course, but it stuck.

History being written by the winners is nothing new, but it's interesting to see how the terminology gets retconned and how different the tone of contemporaneous accounts frequently is.

edited July 26

Herbert Hoover's career before becoming president is most impressive, mining engineer all over the world, fed the Belgians during WW I, Ukrainians and Russians afterwards.

His wife, Lou Henry Hoover, did something very daring for the time: She invited some ladies in for tea at the White House:
    "When African American candidate Oscar Stanton De Priest was elected to Congress, Hoover initiated a meeting for tea at the White House with his wife Jessie De Priest, as was tradition for the wives of all incoming Congressmen. Hoover was responsible for planning the event to ensure its success.[78] She arranged the scheduling so that only women she trusted would attend, and she alerted White House security that Mrs. De Priest was to be expected and not barred entry.[79] Hoover chose not to publicize the details of De Priest's attendance until after it occurred so as to avoid interruptions.[80] The event became part of a larger debate on racial issues as Southern voters protested the invitation of a Black woman."
    (Links omitted.)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Henry_Hoover#White_House_hostess

(Incidentally, the De Priests were Republicans, as were most American blacks, at that time.)

So, naturally, was Hoover's vice president, Charles Curtis,"A member of the Kaw Nation born in the Kansas Territory, Curtis was the first Native American and first person in a racial minority group to reach either of the highest offices in the federal executive branch."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Curtis

All true . . . as far as it goes.

> Herbert Hoover's career as international mining consultant was indeed impressive, and lucrative. Also got him into serious hot water in English civil courts over propriety of some of his commercial dealings, and considerable bad press in UK and USA; as side note he & Lou Hoover were among the foreign devils trapped in Peking during Boxer Rebellion.

> Hoover's energetic and surprising successful work on behalf of Belgians, Russians, Ukrainians and other victims of war, famine, etc., etc. was the high point of his career, as is well attested.

> His record on race relations is more mixed. The White House event you cite is on plus side of the ledger, except for his desire to limit publicity (see below) Even more to Hoover's credit are massive flood relief efforts as Secretary of Commerce in 1920s in the Mississippi Valley, which aided hundreds of thousands of Black people alongside (sorta) White victims.

> However, from 1928 through 1932 record shows that Hoover was working to weaken Black dominance and influence in state Republican parties across the South, in effort to attract more White voters to the GOP. Thus building upon anti-Democratic inroads due to backlash versus 1928 Democratic nominees Catholicism AND opposition to Prohibition. (So it's no wonder Hoover sought to limit publicity re: DePriest at the WH tea party.) Alienating Black Republicans was seen by Hoover and his political operatives as small price to pay, considering how few Blacks were allowed to vote in the South, and the (assumed) continuing loyalty of Northern Blacks to the "Party of Lincoln.

> All as Jim says re: Charles Curtis, who combined strong pride in his Native American heritage with extreme stand-pat Republicanism. Which included doing plenty of nothing for fellow Native Americansduring his career as US Senator and Vice President.

"Just cat ladies, with or without children"
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    AnthonyT said:

The pianist's mother had died that very morning. Makes his performance all the more impressive.
    Shame they only showed him for a few seconds. I know that was because they wanted to show Mr Bean most of the time.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,098

The end was spoiled by the commentator stating the bleeding obvious. From what I recall of 2012, not for the only time.
  • AnthonyTAnthonyT Posts: 36
    Odd how people liken women to cats and men to dogs. Women are far more like dogs (brace for turbulence) in that they are wary, watchful, useful, quickly affectionate, practical; the sort of creatures who'd pull you out of a well or help you carry something home.

Cats, like men, are universally regarded as a nuisance: flamboyant, feckless, the last word in laziness, towers of ego and rage, impossibly adorable, pompous, moody and insolent.

Much as young men are allowed to run wild, cats are held to be ungovernable and unreliable; beautiful but silly.

Men are also feline in their cold-blooded instinct for women who will adore them.

[Elizabeth Jane Howard and ] "...the affection she craved. And although an ardent feminist, she was at the mercy of any man who expressed desire and admiration for her."

Classic dog stuff (not that one means that badly.)

Whereas Jack Nicholson, bless him, is all Tomcat.
    edited July 26
    Tim Walz:

"My hillbilly cousins did not go to Yale, but I tell you what they did do was contribute to their community and they are proud of it"

https://x.com/Tim_Walz/status/1816658567145070862
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,461
    It’s summer innit, so I’ve been away stomping around England and enjoying the beautiful countryside and seeing very little news.

A couple of hot takes:

Donald Trump is a warty helmet,

JD Vance is a dribbly bell-end.

Let’s see if I’m right.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,059

It’s summer innit, so I’ve been away stomping around England and enjoying the beautiful countryside and seeing very little news.

A couple of hot takes:

Let’s see if I’m right.

A couple of hot takes:

Let’s see if I’m right.

Well, we can always toss a coin

(Hides under the table)
    The difference on Betfair Exchange between Trump and Harris is less than 1 for the first time.

Trump 1.69
    Harris 2.66

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.176878927
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 401
    edited July 26
    Andy_JS said:

The difference on Betfair Exchange between Trump and Harris is less than 1 for the first time.

Trump 1.69
    Harris 2.66

or ~59% vs ~41% = gap of ~18%

((1/1.69)-(1/2.66))*100

You're right, it's closing.

I did point out laying Trump @1.5 (66.6%) was value, post assassination attempt.

Andy_JS said:

Trump 1.69
    Harris 2.66

((1/1.69)-(1/2.66))*100

It's closing.

I did point out laying Trump @1.5 (66.6%) was value, post assassination attempt.
    Thanks, I was just about to post the percentages, saved me time.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,521

Well, he has a blueprint from 1936…
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954

Tim Walz:

"My hillbilly cousins did not go to Yale, but I tell you what they did do was contribute to their community and they are proud of it"

That doesn't sound as great as he thinks. What hillbillies going to an Ivy League is elitist now?

Andy_JS said:

Trump 1.69
    Harris 2.66

((1/1.69)-(1/2.66))*100

Looks game on to me.

Trump campaign has gone from massive high a week or two ago after their man became an overnight survivor and martyr and Biden was obvs a "senile wreck" (TM - Leon) to near panic as the whole chess board has been thrown over and their veep choice seems to have been a disaster.

edited July 26
    Nunu5 said:

Tim Walz:

That doesn't sound as great as he thinks. What hillbillies going to an Ivy League is elitist now?
    Not all, certainly, and not even most, or maybe many. However, sure did the trick for J.D. Vance.

ADDENDUM - Speaking as a less-than-elite WVa hillbilly myself.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    I doubt another country will try the French concept .

There were some good moments but it lacked cohesion and its difficult to generate the right atmosphere outside of a stadium.

The dreadful weather didn’t help . Very unlucky for the organizers as forecasts a few days ago were much better .

Given everything they had to contend with today though they did a sterling job in keeping things afloat .

Absolute shame on those who vandalized rail services , utterly despicable .

• WillGWillG Posts: 2,366

Andy_JS said:

Trump 1.69
    Harris 2.66

((1/1.69)-(1/2.66))*100

Looks game on to me.

Trump campaign has gone from massive high a week or two ago after their man became an overnight survivor and martyr and Biden was obvs a "senile wreck" (TM - Leon) to near panic as the whole chess board has been thrown over and their veep choice seems to have been a disaster.

Trump is as much of a senile wreck as Biden. Whereas Kamala is knocking it out the park. Whoever said she wasn't charismatic is an idiot.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    WillG said:

Andy_JS said:

Trump 1.69
    Harris 2.66

((1/1.69)-(1/2.66))*100

Looks game on to me.

Trump is as much of a senile wreck as Biden. Whereas Kamala is knocking it out the park. Whoever said she wasn't charismatic is an idiot.
    She’s had a great start and I love her laugh and smile . CNN have some new polling out showing a huge surge in enthusiasm to vote for her amongst Dems compared to Biden .
    edited July 26
    I don't know what new information is causing the movement but now it's

Trump 1.7
    Harris 2.62
  • TresTres Posts: 2,650
    Trump has shat the bed.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,018
  • MJWMJW Posts: 1,634
    nico679 said:

I doubt another country will try the French concept .

There were some good moments but it lacked cohesion and its difficult to generate the right atmosphere outside of a stadium.

The dreadful weather didn’t help . Very unlucky for the organizers as forecasts a few days ago were much better .

Given everything they had to contend with today though they did a sterling job in keeping things afloat .

Absolute shame on those who vandalized rail services , utterly despicable .

I think the basic problem with it is underemarked upon - which is that they made a big error in interspersing the show aspects with the parade and dragging it all out. It meant when there were good moments the whole thing never really gained momentum and awe until the end.

Look back on it and there was lots of fun or striking bits, but at the time it all felt disjointed and messy as every performance was stopped and then we spent 15 minutes staring at boats and reading out Wikipedia. If they'd have got the parade out of the way first as it's own thing, then just let the ceremony flow down the Seine with one bit running into the next - I'd wager we'd all have a much more favourable view of it even if it contained all the same moments.
    nico679 said:

WillG said:

Andy_JS said:

Trump 1.69
    Harris 2.66

((1/1.69)-(1/2.66))*100

Looks game on to me.

She’s had a great start and I love her laugh and smile . CNN have some new polling out showing a huge surge in enthusiasm to vote for her amongst Dems compared to Biden .

Cat Ladies for GOTV.
    edited July 27
    The photos of Kamala Harris in the 80s reminds me slightly of Flashdance film star Jennifer Beals, and I just found this photo of them meeting each other.

https://x.com/PriyankaAnomaly/status/1325129921652424708
    According to the pollster of the new Michigan state poll, 84% of sample was White and 10% Black

In 2020 general election, according to wiki Whites were 81% of those who voted in MI, while Blacks were 12%.

Question: in 2024 with Kamala Harris at the top of Democratic ticket, is Black share of Michigan general election vote likely to go down OR go up?
    From The Hill story quoting anonymous Republicans in Congress expressing displeasure (to put it mildly) with Trump's selection of Vance.

One quote:

“The prevailing sentiment is if Trump loses, [it’s] because of this pick,” the lawmaker said. “It doesn’t help.”

Question: Anyone else notice obvious misspelling (missing letter) of word at end of first section of the quote?

Trump is a busted flush.
    Andy_JS said:

Trump is a busted flush.
    IF you mean Trump is a cracked commode, I concur.

IF you mean Trump cannot win in 2024, then sadly disagree; too early to tel for sure, but Shirley, he ain't beat yet.
  • UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 874
    Nunu5 said:

Tim Walz:

I fear the enthusiasm for Harris feels somewhat like the enthusiasm for Hillary back in 2016, where everything does well on social media but it doesn't translate to votes. I genuinely hope I'm wrong, and I actually like Kamala, but I fear her appeal is limited to Dems. Even worse, if you look at 2016, it was shocking how normal of an election it was and that Republicans, ultimately, backed their man. If small c-conservatives perceive Harris as more radical then she is, she will lose Pennsylvania and, likely the election. The issue is that, if Republicans back their guy (as they always have) and Kamala fails to woo the Blue Wall then it's game over.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,550
    Unpopular said:

Nunu5 said:

Tim Walz:

I fear the enthusiasm for Harris feels somewhat like the enthusiasm for Hillary back in 2016, where everything does well on social media but it doesn't translate to votes. I genuinely hope I'm wrong, and I actually like Kamala, but I fear her appeal is limited to Dems. Even worse, if you look at 2016, it was shocking how normal of an election it was and that Republicans, ultimately, backed their man. If small c-conservatives perceive Harris as more radical then she is, she will lose Pennsylvania and, likely the election. The issue is that, if Republicans back their guy (as they always have) and Kamala fails to woo the Blue Wall then it's game over.
    Obviously you don't want your campaign to go exactly like Hillary's did since she lost but I think she was pretty unlucky with the Comey stuff dropping at just the wrong time. Her EV loss was pretty big but a tiny little swing would have flipped it. If the Dems had the option to get a repeat of the Hillary-Trump race but with some different butterflies flapping their wings I guess they'd take it.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,550

From The Hill story quoting anonymous Republicans in Congress expressing displeasure (to put it mildly) with Trump's selection of Vance.

One quote:

“The prevailing sentiment is if Trump loses, [it’s] because of this pick,” the lawmaker said. “It doesn’t help.”

Question: Anyone else notice obvious misspelling (missing letter) of word at end of first section of the quote?

I think the Vance pick is a symptom of a broader issue which is that although Trump is a mimetic idiot savant, his 2016 campaign was pretty well grounded the world of normal offline grumpy old people. Very Online right-wing weirdos were part of the coalition but they were at the margin. Now they're at the centre of all of it.
    Having seen a whole lot of campaigns:

The pivot—by K Harris, Tim Walz, Pete B, Sens Murphy * Schatz, others—to saying THESE GUYS ARE CREEPY AND WEIRDOS is an important shift.

'This is not America' is super-serious way of making the point. 'They're just weird' has extra punch — and is a way of emphasizing that this is the kind of extremist fringe we've always had to deal with.

https://x.com/JamesFallows/status/1816979213015994498
    US operation to capture Sinaloa cartel leaders had the help of one of the captured men: a son of ‘El Chapo,’ official says

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/07/25/us/sinaloa-cartel-ismael-zambada-custody-report/index.html
    ..Experts have told CNN a power struggle between Zambada and El Chapo’s sons, also known as the Chapitos, has existed for some time in the cartel. With Zambada gone, violence inside the cartel and other criminal organizations in Mexico, is set to ramp up.

The agents from HSI, who have been working the case since earlier this year when Attorney General Merrick Garland announced charges against El Chapo’s three sons, were skeptical when Guzman Lopez first made the offer.

The entire operation, a source told CNN, went off surprisingly smoothly given the gravity of the arrests and the disruption it could cause to Mexican drug trafficking.
    The reaction of the Mexican government is ... interesting.
    ...Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador on Friday said the US government “must give a full report” on the operation that led to the arrests.

“There has to be transparency,” he said during his daily news conference.

AMLO, as the president is known, said the arrests show “important progress in the battle against drug trafficking.” He added, however, the arrests are not “everything,” adding the US must do more “in solving the drug consumption problem by addressing the causes.”

Mexican officials were informed of the arrests during a phone call from the US Embassy in Mexico Thursday afternoon, Mexico’s secretary of security, Rosa Icela Rodriguez, said Friday.

“The Mexican government did not participate in this detention or surrender,” Rodriguez said during AMLO’s daily news conference, adding Mexico is waiting for more information from the US government..
    "Take it from me, Republicans: Kamala Harris is a strong candidate. Don't underestimate her
    Vice President Harris will turn out to be a much better candidate than Republicans are expecting her to be
    Newt Gingrich"

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/take-from-me-republicans-kamala-harris-strong-candidate-dont-underestimate-her
    Unpopular said:

Nunu5 said:

Tim Walz:

Enthusiasm for Kamala Harris is clearly focused at present among Democrats. Here the vital X Factor is TURNOUT. With boosting turnout among African Americans and younger voters a critical priority.

As for Independents, and Republicans turned off by Trump and/or Vance, KH's level of support remains to be seen, but will be tested by polling over next two months, and by November results. Personally think that she does and will garner strong support from some parts of the middle/swing vote, with the balance being yet another key factor for Harris.

Regarding the "Rad Kam" argument, personally think that Trump GOP are seriously over-egging the cake, very similar to how Bush Republicans did versus "Socialist" Barack Obama in 2008. They's set up unsustainable expectations concerning Harris's alleged extreme liberal-leftism. She can refute such attacks based on her record AND her campaigning. Trump has pushed himself so far right with Vance, plus his own inclination toward sabotaging his own efforts to appear more moderated if not exactly moderate. This give Harris a lot of leeway as to how far to the center, and center-right she can position her campaign message - including small "c" conservatives.

PLUS this consideration: Kamala Harris is a better natural politico and campaigner than Hillary Clinton. Who is one of the worst; to paraphrase Winston Churchill's verdict on Austen Chamberlain, Hilary always plays the game, and always loses it.

One recent item that shows this, at least to me: Kamala's condemnation of the burning of the American flag outside US Capitol by pro-Hamas protesters. This while she's needing to address concerns of pro-Palestinian Democrats, including Uncommitted delegates and also may previously pledged to Biden,

KH knows how to draw the line, and where to draw it. Art & science HC never mastered.
    Andy_JS said:

"Take it from me, Republicans: Kamala Harris is a strong candidate. Don't underestimate her
    Vice President Harris will turn out to be a much better candidate than Republicans are expecting her to be
    Newt Gingrich"

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/take-from-me-republicans-kamala-harris-strong-candidate-dont-underestimate-her

Not often me & Newt are on the same wave-length!

Interesting connection between Gingrich and Vane, namely they are both Catholic converts, tending toward the Crazed Catholic tendency.

Holy mackerel!
    Nigelb said:

...Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador on Friday said the US government “must give a full report” on the operation that led to the arrests.

AMLO, as the president is known, said the arrests show “important progress in the battle against drug trafficking.” He added, however, the arrests are not “everything,” adding the US must do more “in solving the drug consumption problem by addressing the causes.”

Mexican officials were informed of the arrests during a phone call from the US Embassy in Mexico Thursday afternoon, Mexico’s secretary of security, Rosa Icela Rodriguez, said Friday.

“The Mexican government did not participate in this detention or surrender,” Rodriguez said during AMLO’s daily news conference, adding Mexico is waiting for more information from the US government..

Bit beyond pro forma response, but not much. Mexican nationalists, that is majority of population, will be pissed off to some extent. Lopez Obrador's statement and requests not unreasonable, and he leaves office October 1 when his close ally Claudia Sheinbaum is inaugurated as new President, So he can throw some heat BUT without binding her hands in the near future re: followup with US government.
    Macquarie to acquire remaining stake in UK's National Gas
    https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/macquarie-acquire-remaining-stake-uks-102642211.html

Macquarie who loaded Thames Water with debt in order to extract billions. What could go wrong?
    Reaction to the Republican convention and Trump-Vance ticket is starting to remind me of the reaction in 1964 to that year's GOP clambake and the Goldwater-Miller ticket, the later being a conservative Republican US Rep from upstate New York.

Essentially, Goldwater doubled down as right-winger by selecting Miller, like Trump did via Vance. When asked why he picked WM for VP, H2O replied, "because he drives LBJ nuts".

Added to the creepy weirdo quotient which was NOT repeat NOT helpful to Goldwater, and helped Johnson achieve a super-majority of the popular vote in 1964 and a super-super majority in the electoral college.

Nigelb said:

Bit beyond pro forma response, but not much. Mexican nationalists, that is majority of population, will be pissed off to some extent. Lopez Obrador's statement and requests not unreasonable, and he leaves office October 1 when his close ally Claudia Sheinbaum is inaugurated as new President, So he can throw some heat BUT without binding her hands in the near future re: followup with US government.
    There's not much Mexico can do, and quite possibly they are better off without these individuals, notwithstanding the risk of a bloody turf war. Nonetheless, it is close to state-backed kidnapping by America.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,045
    KnightOut said:

'Hard-right culture warriors stand up for the Jews'?

Have you read any 20th century history?
    Post-war Soviet Revisionism rather than history per se.

We've allowed a specific narrative to take hold, but contemporary Western reporting of the rise of Nazism didn't generally describe it as hard or far right. Or 'right' at all. Totalitarian, Nationalistic, Fascist - it was described in many ways but not really as a position on a Left-Right spectrum.

In the years they followed it became very important for the Eastern Bloc to distance and differentiate their own brand of Authoritarianism by othering the defeated regime. Communism was already accepted as far left, so it was convenient to forge a narrative where Nazism was the opposite, and therefore 'far right', conflating that side with evil and their own with good.

It was reductive, simplistic and absolutely fucking bollocks of course, but it stuck.

History being written by the winners is nothing new, but it's interesting to see how the terminology gets retconned and how different the tone of contemporaneous accounts frequently is.

Any examples of these contemporary accounts? Hitler was supported by the right in Germany and abroad, outlawed persecuted and murdered leftwingers in Germany etc. It's news to me that calling the Nazis far right is just an invention of soviet revisionism
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,524
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: If you're inclined to go safety first and have backed Piastri each way at 8, you can lay him (just for the win) at 5.5 on Betfair.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    edited July 27
    Nigelb said:

Having seen a whole lot of campaigns:

The pivot—by K Harris, Tim Walz, Pete B, Sens Murphy * Schatz, others—to saying THESE GUYS ARE CREEPY AND WEIRDOS is an important shift.

'This is not America' is super-serious way of making the point. 'They're just weird' has extra punch — and is a way of emphasizing that this is the kind of extremist fringe we've always had to deal with.

https://x.com/JamesFallows/status/1816979213015994498

J. D. Vance seems determined to help them, judging by the weirdness of his defence of the "childless cat lady" comments:
    "I'm making an argument that our entire society has become sceptical and even hateful towards the idea of having kids."

?????
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688

One quote:

I actually read it as 'prick' at first glance.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,520

NEW THREAD

This discussion has been closed.