Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Will the felon debate the prosecutor? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,632
    HYUFD said:

"There's a palpable honeymoon happening for Harris"

"When you raise $80 million in one day...you can't ignore that"

"One week ago, Trump, had, essentially the race sown up. You can't say that today."

https://x.com/FrankLuntz

Hillary Clinton comfortably outraised Trump in 2016 too
    Trump had money then.

Mind you, the Muskovite might come to his rescue.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    21h
    The 2024 presidential election will be the first since 1976 without a Bush, Clinton, or Biden on the ballot.
    Jonathan said:

It’s in Seine.

So is Vance's ad, if you haven't seen it.

Dissing Snickers? I mean, really?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,018

boulay said:

LA 2028 organisers “so it’s a stadium opening ceremony then”.

Given LA is ugly as sin, I think that was always likely. Paris it ain't.
    It gets more sun though and thry can do the surfing on their beaches not in Tahiti

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    21h
    The 2024 presidential election will be the first since 1976 without a Bush, Clinton, or Biden on the ballot.

And the first since 1964 without a Bush, Clinton, Biden or Nixon on the ballot.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,211
    edited July 26
    Nigelb said:

Just turned on the Paris thing.
    It’s has more of a Eurovision vibe than Olympic.

Eurovision was considerably better put together than the Olympics opening ceremony, which will certainly go down for me as the worst I can remember.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,607
    The younger Le Pen isn’t impressed.

https://x.com/marionmarechal/status/1816925819077296174

To all the Christians of the world who are watching the #Paris2024  ceremony and felt insulted by this drag queen parody of the Last Supper, know that it is not France that is speaking but a left-wing minority ready for any provocation. #notinmyname
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369

It sounds like there are 100 people in the crowd - in a stadium it would be a noisy fun experience.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:
    Fucking hell.
    As the Tweeter posts. A worthy slogan:

https://x.com/BGrueskin/status/1816798428581507571
    DavidL said:

kjh said:

dixiedean said:

boulay said:

Imagine there's no countries

Not an entirely fitting lyric.

Indeed, imagine there’s no countries, apart from the ones who just sailed past wearing their national
    Colours and waving their flags who will be trying to get their countries up the medal table, but apart from that we hate countries in the Olympics.
    Often wondered what would happen if it wasn't by country?
    Course you'd need some kind of division for team sports?
    How about star sign?
    Come on you Saggitarians!
    I have often thought that team sports should be banned from the Olympics, it should all be about individual endeavour. I am not aware that Athens and Sparta entered teams in the original Olympics.
    They don't do it in the nuddy now either tbf.
    Get a bigger audience.
    In fairness the beach volleyball teams come close.
    The female competitors revolted and they’ve gotten the rules changed, so they’re no longer required to show quite so much.
    Pulpstar said:

I'm watching it on Eurosport btw, the commentators aren't doing the OTT stuff the BBC ones can sometimes do

The BBC commentators’ boredom was showing in their voices.

Nigelb said:

Just turned on the Paris thing.
    It’s has more of a Eurovision vibe than Olympic.

Eurovision was considerably better put together than the Olympics opening ceremony, which will certainly go down me as the worst I can remember.
    A classic case of trying too hard really.
  • FffsFffs Posts: 64
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

OK pb brains trust: I'm going to Holland next week. I know about the cities - but is there anywhere in small town/countryside Zuid Holland I should be visiting?

Leiden. Main historical university town with loads to do. Mauritshaus in the Hague for a manageable but super-concentration of the highest quality art, including famously the The Girl with the Pearl Earring
    Thanks. I like a gallery but with three kids in tow quality over quantity is key!
    Main danger for kids in Leiden is making sure one or more don't fall into one of the MANY canals.

On more positive note, beyond the town proper there's an extensive park on the side heading toward the sea . . . and the seaside resort of Schvenigen (sp) which is not far.
    Should add that the town of Leiden is sort a smaller, less hectic and uber-urban, more small town and accessible. The central area is very impressive and nice, and stuff around for kids, on or off-bike.
    Leiden it is then - thanks. Will report back.
    If you have kids in tow go to Efteling as well. You will not regret it!
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    21h

Harris hasn’t picked her running mate yet.
    Jonathan said:

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    21h

LOL.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    Nigelb said:
    Sponsored by DFS?
    It is worth remembering that no Republican ticket had won until 2016 without Bush or a Nixon on the ticket since 1928.

That's surreally long sounding, but it's worth remembering that includes four elections as Vice President and a long period of Democrat dominance from 1932 to 1948.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,965
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

OK pb brains trust: I'm going to Holland next week. I know about the cities - but is there anywhere in small town/countryside Zuid Holland I should be visiting?

Leiden. Main historical university town with loads to do. Mauritshaus in the Hague for a manageable but super-concentration of the highest quality art, including famously the The Girl with the Pearl Earring
    Thanks. I like a gallery but with three kids in tow quality over quantity is key!
    Main danger for kids in Leiden is making sure one or more don't fall into one of the MANY canals.

On more positive note, beyond the town proper there's an extensive park on the side heading toward the sea . . . and the seaside resort of Schvenigen (sp) which is not far.
    Should add that the town of Leiden is sort a smaller, less hectic and uber-urban, more small town and accessible. The central area is very impressive and nice, and stuff around for kids, on or off-bike.
    Lots of museums and good stuff for the kids. Recommended.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705
    Jonathan said:

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    21h

Good news for Harry Bushclintonbiden.
    The visuals are terrible - a motley crew of people loitering around in plastic rain ponchos with no crowd atmosphere. No link to the stadium which is the crucible of the Olympics. How do they tie in the lighting of the flame if it’s not all taking place there. Very weird.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    Nigelb said:
    That's a fake, right?

Nigelb said:
    Sponsored by DFS?
    Ratner.

To all the Christians of the world who are watching the #Paris2024  ceremony and felt insulted by this drag queen parody of the Last Supper, know that it is not France that is speaking but a left-wing minority ready for any provocation. #notinmyname

Some truth to that, no Asterisk, Joan of Ark, Versailles, Monet, Truffaut, Edith Piaf, Voltaire, little French culture or Food or wine.

Apart from Moulin Rouge dancers and a bit about the revolution, Notre Dame and the Louvre not much distinctively French in it albeit some good closing images of the Eiffel Tower as President Macron declares the Olympics open
    Sounds like the opening ceremony was nicely metaphorical for a collapsing modern political France.
    HYUFD said:

Some truth to that, no Asterisk, Joan of Ark, Versailles, Monet, Truffaut, Edith Piaf, Voltaire, little French culture or Food or wine.

Apart from Moulin Rouge dancers and a bit about the revolution, Notre Dame and the Louvre not much distinctively French in it albeit some good closing images of the Eiffel Tower as President Macron declares the Olympics open
    It’s all so flat though. Think about the energy in London or the power in Beijing.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,472
    Did anything tonight come anywhere close to this from 2012?

https://x.com/Surreycricfan/status/1816895320854335801

The drag queen parody of the Last Supper (I don’t think it actually was referencing the Last Supper) was the second best bit!
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,869
    Why have so many of you been watching something that you all think was shite?
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    Jonathan said:

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    21h

That's kind of a rubbish stat anyway.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978

Sounds like the opening ceremony was nicely metaphorical for a collapsing modern political France.

Bollocks
    Jonathan said:

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    21h

Chelsea Clinton? Or a unified anti-Trump ticket with Lauren Bush?
    I love a Jean-Michel Jarre concert.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    boulay said:

This is so fucking naff.

It’s like some B-movie fantasy sci-fi.

Or that one off blackadder where he goes to the future.

And they said London 2012 opening ceremony was cringe!

Why are you commenting on comments that you think are shite?
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,026
    Fffs said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

That is scheduled for day 1! Thanks.

You can live a life of hedonism if you want, Sandy, but some of us have principles. And those principles mean we will watch nearly the entirety of a poor Olympics opening ceremony/am dram re-enactment of the evacuation of Dunkirk.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279
    boulay said:

Why are you commenting on comments that you think are shite?
    Worse takes are available:

https://x.com/campbellclaret/status/1816923968357409078
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,323
    That Eiffel Tower. It’s no Burj Khalifa.

Hope.

You know this is an event, and France would have put all their effort into showing us something spectacular. So the worse it gets, the more you hope: surely this dross has just been to reveal *the* moment that will never be beaten?

But they're leaving it late.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,767

Nigelb said:
    That's a fake, right?
    Honestly, at this point I just can’t tell.
    What’s the French for Son et Lumiere?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    You wonder if Starmer is wishing he could do a Sunak and leave before the end…
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,098
    boulay said:

Jean-Michel Jarre did a watery concert in London's docklands in the early 1980s.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,098

Hope.

You know this is an event, and France would have put all their effort into showing us something spectacular. So the worse it gets, the more you hope: surely this dross has just been to reveal *the* moment that will never be beaten?

They're just milking it now. I'm not even sure Serena Williams is French.
    Just a reminder that the Glasgow Commonwealth Games opening ceremony featured people with giant Tunnock's teacakes.

Hope.

They're just milking it now. I'm not even sure Serena Williams is French.
    At least Carl Lewis and Roger Federer are.
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 401
    Shame about the rain.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,159
    Jonathan said:

What’s the French for Son et Lumiere?

Tacky light show
    The funny thing is that the marathon will be over faster than the opening ceremony.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,874
    Cookie said:

MattW said:

tripli-dolphin.

Two of my daughters will happily do 10 miles or more on a bike without complaint ‐ my youngest will probably start to wilt after 5. Which is still probably better than I would have done at her age!
    What are their ages?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977

Just a reminder that the Glasgow Commonwealth Games opening ceremony featured people with giant Tunnock's teacakes.

And so fully deserved to be a capital of culture.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,542
    Tom Tugendhat was labelled as the 'centrist' or 'liberal' or my favourite 'one nation' Tory but here he is standing up for the Jews at a general election hustings in a way one would normally only associate with hard right culture warriors.

https://x.com/lewisUTBdenison/status/1816503419743404219
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,119
    I feel very sorry for Paris for the weather. They’ve been extremely unlucky.

There is diplomatic gold to be had from British politicians and pundits praising the opening ceremony to the skies, whatever they might privately think. I hope they do.
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,780
    Ponchos? No thanks, we're made of sterner stuff. Makes you pround to be British.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AccidentalRenaissance/comments/1ecvu87/kier_starmer_at_the_olympics/
  • gettingbettergettingbetter Posts: 531
    Cookie said:

Fffs said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

That is scheduled for day 1! Thanks.
    The rides and stuff are fantastic. Use the app to avoid the worsr queues. The accomodation is fine. The service in the restaurants is appalling and- the only vaguely decent place we found in a 3 night stay was the pancake place in the middle.

Tom Tugendhat was labelled as the 'centrist' or 'liberal' or my favourite 'one nation' Tory but here he is standing up for the Jews at a general election hustings in a way one would normally only associate with hard right culture warriors.

Combative stuff. Glad to see candidates don't all mince their words at hustings.

Ponchos? No thanks, we're made of sterner stuff. Makes you pround to be British.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AccidentalRenaissance/comments/1ecvu87/kier_starmer_at_the_olympics/

Isn't that how William Henry Harrison went?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,323

boulay said:

Jean-Michel Jarre did a watery concert in London's docklands in the early 1980s.
    That was one of the funniest concerts of all time.
    Oh my God, it’s still going on… make it stop, please make it stop…

Anyway, do I sacrifice an afternoon of Olympics to go see Deadpool & Wolverine at the weekend?

'Hard-right culture warriors stand up for the Jews'?

Have you read any 20th century history?
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

Because we didn't think in advance that it would be. And because it's an Englishman's birthright, duty and pleasure to laugh at the French (except when we are rescuing them. And actually even then).
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358

You can't comment on something if you don't watch it.
    boulay said:

I remember the time the Paris Olympic opening ceremony started. You wouldn’t believe it - in those days we had a country called the USA who were about to elect a madman carnival clown, Russia used to claim Crimea, there was a country called Taiwan. Katie Price was on her seventh marriage and nobody had died on Strictly come dancing in those days. It was the days before the England football team won ten back to back tournaments. Who knows how the world will change by the time the opening ceremony ends, one thing for sure I won’t be alive anymore and it will be down to you, dear grandchildren, to remind people of when this hell started.

Oh and its still raining and we all live in boats now
    Oppenheimer?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    Trump advisor on Harris.

"We underestimate her cultural appeal and her power at our peril".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD5SeQ_jnrA
    edited July 26
    Ah, so they're going to replace the TGV services with Montgolfier balloons...
    True fact, the Montgolfier brothers have been dead for less time than the opening ceremony has been on.
    That's quite impressive tbf
    How have they done that?!
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,542

I don't want to be rude about your age but we're living in the 21st century now.
    OK, the Olympic cauldron is very good
    Fffs said:

Wires. It’s dark, classic stage magic.
    Finally something wonderfully artfully French. Followed by a Canadian singer. Le Chef’s Kiss.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,119
    Céline Dion is really quite surprisingly impressive.

I don't want to be rude about your age but we're living in the 21st century now.
    Speak for yourself. In my head it’s about 1996.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,260
    Tony Parker jogging in front of the Louvre with the torch. There's always something that sticks and I think that's going to be it.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,607
    TimS said:

I've always thought she was a much better singer in French.
    Celine Dion best bit of the ceremony

Fffs said:

Strung from where?
    TimS said:

Particularly after her health problems had caused her to drop out of all live performance.
    boulay said:

True fact, the Montgolfier brothers have been dead for less time than the opening ceremony has been on.

Whose song Dave Gilmour has put on his new LP.

Fffs said:

Hanging from skyhook?
    Fffs said:

Fffs said:

Strung from where?
    Tranquility Base.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    More on BAD Vice Presidential selections

The following were not electorally bad, but nevertheless showed some less than positive aspects which were NOT helpful for the Presidents who picked them:

> In 1924 Charles Dawes was Calvin Coolidge's pick for VP on GOP ticket; "Silent Cal" was elected as VP under Harding, whose death mid-term put Coolidge in the White House. Even though 1924 was three-way fight for POTUS he was favorite all the way due to Democrats tearing themselves to pieces over the KKK - now THAT was a real Democratic civil war for ya! After Dawes was elected VP, he caused trouble by actually run the US Senate (something that the Senators refused to even consider) then by missing a key Senate vote on POTUS nominee who lost on a tie vote, he and Coolidge were barely on speaking terms for the rest of their term together.

> In 1928 Charles Curtis Republican VP nominee was not originally a bad pick for Herbert Hoover, who served as Sec. of Commerce for Harding and Coolidge, but who was NOT a regular Republican or even one at all before 1920; wheras Curtis was a stalwart indeed stolid Republican regular of extreme stand-pat wing of the GOP so appeased that ilk.

HOWEVER once elected VP Curtis developed a severely swelled head, and because almost as much of a butt of jokes as his successor Dan Quayle was a half-century later. NOT cause of Hoover's defeat but was another nail in his political coffin.

> In 1940 Franklin Roosevelt never declared, but nevertheless emerged as Democratic nominee for an unprecedented Third Term; he also came to the parting of the ways with his (first) VP John Nance Garner, who by then was in both the anti-New Deal an anti-Third Term camps with the party. So FDR needed a replacement, and he chose Sec. of Agriculture Henry Wallace, a former progressive Republican from the farm belt AND a staunch New Dealer; thus he help Roosevelt, who was sure to carry the Solid South, in the Midwest AND with liberals across the USA.

DOWNSIDE to Henry Wallace emerged even before he was elected VP, thanks to the "Guru Letters" between him and his somewhat unorthodox spiritual advisor. Only reason they were NOT published in 1940, was because Dems had dirt on Republican POTUS nominee Wendell Wilkie and HIS mistress, which was also NOT published. However, by 1944 Democratic insiders were pretty sure the Guru Letters would finally see the light of day; plus moderate Dems were wary of Wallace's strong liberalism AND quirky personality. ESPECIALLY as they were well-aware in 1944 that their Commander-in-Chief was in declining health . . . with WW2 still raging.

THUS it transpired that at 1944 convention that nominated him for 4th term, FDR went along with ditching Henry Wallace. Roosevelt used his usual (or rather superior) skills at political misdirection to eventually "accede" to the nomination of another strong, but FAR less controversial VP selection - Harry S Truman. And the rest as they say is history.
    The ball was good. Not Oppenheimer, but that’s probably for the best.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,046
    The flame in the balloon, if it can stay there, is impressive.

Surely though, they didn’t need to take QUITE so long!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440

Hope.

The flaming balloon and Celine Dion weren't too shabby
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,260
    TimS said:

I feel very sorry for Paris for the weather. They’ve been extremely unlucky.

There is diplomatic gold to be had from British politicians and pundits praising the opening ceremony to the skies, whatever they might privately think. I hope they do.

Yes, a shame. Didn't spoil the tv spectacle but it can't have been much fun on the ground.
    The lighting of the cauldron in 1992 was by far the best.

Is your position that it is a bad or extremist thing to be standing up for Jews?
    MattW said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

tripli-dolphin.

Two of my daughters will happily do 10 miles or more on a bike without complaint ‐ my youngest will probably start to wilt after 5. Which is still probably better than I would have done at her age!
    What are their ages?
    14, 12 and 9.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    kle4 said:

Isn't that how William Henry Harrison went?
    Yes. As per wiki:

Harrison had been physically worn down by many persistent office seekers and a demanding social schedule. On Wednesday, March 24, 1841, Harrison took his daily morning walk to local markets, without a coat or hat. Despite being caught in a sudden rainstorm, he did not change his wet clothes upon return to the White House. . . .

Harrison died at 12:30 a.m. on April 4, 1841
    Jonathan said:

The lighting of the cauldron in 1992 was by far the best.

Flaming arrow? Wasn’t it fake though? As in the arrow didn’t actually light it?
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448

Sounds like he's the one provoked.
    edited July 26

So let's all forget that the worst horror perpetrated on the Jewish people, indeed the worst horror ever perpetrated on any group, was by the hard-right shall we?
This discussion has been closed.