Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Powered Up – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,537
    carnforth said:

kle4 said:

carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Now we have the “wholetruthtwo” denied a fair trial according to Just Stop Oil.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c51y99yrj49o

Same judge as the last lot - an enemy of the people, no doubt.
    Phoebe Plummer has already been to the cink for previous crimes. Repeat offender.
    An habitual criminal? One who accepts arrest as an occupational hazard and accepts imprisonment in the same casual manner?
    Like pre-WW1 suffragettes?
    It's an obscure Britishism, @SeaShantyIrish2 . It's part of the title sequence to a rather good 1970s British sitcom called "Porridge" (a slang term for a prison sentence)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvmYfcQB5HY
    There was an even more obscure American remake...
    Fascinating. Never knew this. Had to Google it.

On the Rocks. Ran for more episodes than the U.K. version although the episodes are about as likely to be made public as the Jerry Lewis film ‘The Day the Clown Cried’. A couple are held in the Paley.
    Never heard of the US (or UK) show. Though the former ran for a year just after "Barney Miller" a comedy cop show that was a BIG hit and is still a re-run staple on American TV.
    Porridge was brilliant. The humour hasn't dated, though you couldn't get away with it nowadays. Definitely in the top 30 of Britosh sitcoms. In common with the best sitcoms, conveys far more emotions than just humour, and conveys them better because your defences are down because its a comedy.
    The best episodes were always those where the whole 30 minutes was just a dialogue of the two main protagonists locked in a cell, chatting. This was a fairly common trope on British sitcoms, often at the end of a season because the budget had run out, and I maìntain that this has produced some of the most wonderful half hours of English television. One foot in the grave also did it well.
    Link posted earlier to YouTube of "Porridge" intro was promising.

"Barney Miller" was about a diverse bunch of NYPD detectives in a local Manhattan substation. Stock characters except that each also had strong character AND quirky personalities, thanks to superior writing, excellent casting and splendid acting carried the day. Less shoot it out and more let's talk it out, with a light touch. NOT a police procedural, but instead funny philosophical dialogue that's sorta like an old Greek comedy in modern dress.
    Yesterday I watched episode 1 of The Commish, after a recommendation - a US police comedy drama of the early 90s. Couldn't get into it.

Should I persevere?
    I've seen more than one season of it. The answer is No.

Thanks! And to Seashanty who replied earier.
    There's a fantastic interview with Ronnie Barker, later in life, where he talks about playing Fletcher. At one point he shifts his weight in his chair and drops a shoulder, and just becomes Fletch again for a few moments. It's quite special.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,502
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Phoebe Plummer has already been to the cink for previous crimes. Repeat offender.
    An habitual criminal? One who accepts arrest as an occupational hazard and accepts imprisonment in the same casual manner?
    It's an obscure Britishism, @SeaShantyIrish2 . It's part of the title sequence to a rather good 1970s British sitcom called "Porridge" (a slang term for a prison sentence)

Obscure britishism my shiny metal ass. Diamonds Are Forever, Leiter (CIA/Pinkerton's) to Bond

The trainer's another hoodlum--name of Budd, 'Rosy' Budd. They all sound pretty funny, these names. But you don't want to be taken in by it. He's from Kentucky, so he knows all about horses. He's been in trouble all over the South, what they call a 'little habitch' as opposed to a 'big habitch'--habitual criminal. Larceny, mugging, rape--nothing big. Enough to give him quite a bulky packet in police records. But for the last few years he's been running straight, if you care to call it that, as trainer for Spang."

Mind you Fleming pretty much made it up as he went along, so who knows?
    The words "obscure Britishism" referred to the sitcom, not the phrase... :)
    Outrageous it should be obscure. I quoted Blackadder to someone the other day and they didn't pick up on it. Young people today, do they teach them anything useful?
    My two junior members of staff had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned Blackadder. Showed them a picture and they both exclaimed "Oh! Mister Bean!".

How I wept.
    Why is that remembered but not Blackadder? Mr Bean was crap!

It was that damn Olympic opening ceremony wasn't it?
    Mister Bean was an enormous global hit - because almost wordless and Roman Atkinson is a comic genius. The Chaplin of his time

Blackadder was great but very British and didn’t export

Nonetheless I agree it’s a scandal that it is forgotten - if that is the case. However there is hope. My older daughter is leaning about great British comedy via YouTube. She now understands some Monty Python references
    Hope she watches Life Of Brian.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,542
    edited July 26
    https://x.com/visegrad24/status/1816394281797533979?s=46&t=Vp6NqNN4ktoNY0DO98xlGA

BREAKING:

For the first time ever, Russian and Chinese strategic bombers have together entered the Alaska Air Defense Identification Zone of the United States.

American and Canadian fighter jets intercepted them

The legacy of “one of the best presidencies of all time”.
  • WillGWillG Posts: 2,366
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:

AnthonyT said:

I understand why Charlotte Dujardin is out of the Olympics.

But why then is a Dutch volleyball player who was convicted of raping an underage child allowed to compete?

As he has already served four years in prison for it?
    Well he didn't serve 4 years, he did 1 year, sent back to Netherlands and released immediately. Even the 4 year original sentence was an unbelievably lenient sentence for raping a 12 year old.
    On the other side of this, if he has not reoffended since and has been rehabilitated, it would suggest *something* is working and he is now a productive member of society.

And that, despite the perhaps justified outrage, is what we want to happen.
    1 year for raping a 12 year old is horrific.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,182
    moonshine said:

https://x.com/visegrad24/status/1816394281797533979?s=46&t=Vp6NqNN4ktoNY0DO98xlGA

BREAKING:

For the first time ever, Russian and Chinese strategic bombers have together entered the Alaska Air Defense Identification Zone of the United States.

American and Canadian fighter jets intercepted them

The legacy of “one of the best presidencies of all time”.

The North American Aerospace Defense Command intercepted two Russian and two Chinese bombers flying near Alaska Wednesday in what a US defense official said was the first time the two countries have been intercepted while operating together.

The bombers remained in international airspace in Alaska’s Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ) and were “not seen as a threat,” according to a statement from NORAD.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/07/24/politics/norad-russian-chinese-bombers-alaska/index.html

Yes, I can see why Presidents Putin and Xi are trying to get Trump re-elected.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,023

Imagine if Kamala selects Mayor Pete as veep nominee and they win.

The GOP would eat it's own face in disbelief.

The latest conspiracy theory is that Mayor Pete isn't really gay and it's all just for PR.
    Yes, the GOP is already eating its own face.
    It's ON !!

Step forward...

Stride announces Conservative leadership bid
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd1rp80v76lo
    Are we now expecting a U.S. interest rate cut before November ?
    edited July 26
    TimS said:

viewcode said:

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

On the Rocks. Ran for more episodes than the U.K. version although the episodes are about as likely to be made public as the Jerry Lewis film ‘The Day the Clown Cried’. A couple are held in the Paley.
    Never heard of the US (or UK) show. Though the former ran for a year just after "Barney Miller" a comedy cop show that was a BIG hit and is still a re-run staple on American TV.
    Porridge was brilliant. The humour hasn't dated, though you couldn't get away with it nowadays. Definitely in the top 30 of Britosh sitcoms. In common with the best sitcoms, conveys far more emotions than just humour, and conveys them better because your defences are down because its a comedy.
    The best episodes were always those where the whole 30 minutes was just a dialogue of the two main protagonists locked in a cell, chatting. This was a fairly common trope on British sitcoms, often at the end of a season because the budget had run out, and I maìntain that this has produced some of the most wonderful half hours of English television. One foot in the grave also did it well.
    This is certainly true, and it's one reason I find most Armando Iannucci works like The Thick of It or Veep a little lacking, because they attempt to be more cutting but there's zero emotion to it because everyone is a hateful caricature.

The Death of Stalin worked as an exception because of the subject matter, and the lead in Avenue 5 was likeable by virtue of being Hugh Laurie.
    That is I think why the remake of Reggie Perrin failed.

The originals were flawed but realistic human beings who were stuck in a situation and it was funny.

In the remake they were unlikeable, one dimensional, cretins and it was toe curling, not funny, as a result.

The only remake or updating I can think of that was actually any good is Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads.

I don’t know why they do it. It just doesn’t work.

A friend of mine reckoned the key to a good comedy is characters who are basically trapped either with each other or in a situation.
    Yep - essentially characters are trapped in their situation. Ted Crilly on Craggy island, Basil Fawlty trapped running a hotel when he hates guests, Porridge with fletch physically trapped, but also subject to Grouty, and the warders.
    I knew British comedy went downhill when Ricky Gervaises's character in Extras became a success. From Tony Hancock to the Office, everything was a study of people who were, as you say, trapped. Even a determinedly chirpy sitcom like "On The Buses" looks sad in retrospect when you realise Olive is effectively having a nervous breakdown. Steptoe was a two-handed play. Carla Lane reached the peak of comedies to slash your wrists to with Butterflies and I Woke Up One Morning. Oh happy, happy days... :(
    These couple of posts have been an epiphany.

People trapped in each others’ company, in a situation. Fits almost all genres of British sitcom. Including later examples like peep show or outnumbered.

And overlaps in the Venn diagram almost but not quite perfectly with two men together, one wise and cynical, one young and naive. Jeeves and Wooster for example: they’re not trapped, but the rest is consistent.

And finally the grandiose, arrogant but faintly ridiculous twat character. Often combined with the above. Alan Partridge, Basil Fawlty, Arnold Rimmer / Gordon Brittas. Usually with others trapped with them.

Jim Hacker and Sir Humphrey? Alan B'Stard and Piers? (Little bit of politics!)
    Cookie said:

Taz said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

That one foot in the grave episode was excellent not only because it was so well written but also it put a bit of background to the character. We learn they had lost a child. Something not,touched on before. They make the characters more than just one dimensional ones dropping funny lines.
    That wasn't the one I was thinking of actually, but the one you mention was even more brilliant. They did a few in that format, and they were always superb. There was another one which was just Victor and Margaret talking in a car stuck in traffic - utterly brilliant dialogue, superbly acted; though the biggest joke was that Mrs Warboys clambered into the back seat unremarked about two thirds of the way through the episode.

But comedies make you feel something drama cannot. Possibly it lowers your defences, possibly it is more recognisable as real life - because real life is mainly funny. I offer you, off the top of my head, the last five minutes of each of the Royle Family Christmas specials, and also the end of the Office in which Brent finally gets some humanity.
    Moving to film for a moment, I also give you the first ten minutes of Up. Which I saw at the cinema with my wife, after having struggled to conceive our first child and just at the point it looked like we had got one to stick. My God. Thank goodness for the 3d glasses.
    Personal tragedy? Not a sitcom but recurring sketch character Rowley Birkin QC on his wartime love:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlQ9KLrC4Us

CatMan said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

OK, who unplugged the server to recharge their phone? Mentioning NO NAMES...

I have still not quite got over that story of the cleaner who was causing a death pretty much every day by connecting her hoover to the same plug as the life support machine.
    Snopes says that's a myth

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/polished-off/
    Such a myth that you can buy non standard sockets for equipment rooms so that the cleaner physically cannot plug into the clean IT supply.

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/134136-2-gang-13a-dp-switched-socket-non-standard-white?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8c_--ffChwMV9aNQBh3xiggZEAQYASABEgL95_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I once worked on a midframe/mainframe computer where the power switch had a plastic cover over it, because allegedly a cleaner had once powered one down accidentally with the handle of their mop.
    Mrs Mopp sloshing water round a server room? Hmm.
    Speaking of comedy and the Conservative leadership race, have we covered this?

Tory leadership candidate’s campaign slogan changed after it spelt out ‘TURD’

Tom Tugendhat’s campaign has had to change its slogan after it spelt out a rather unfortunate word.

The original slogan read: “Together we can, Unite the party. Rebuild trust. Defeat Labour” but it was soon pointed out that the first letter of the first word of each sentence read as ‘turd’.

It was quietly changed on Thursday, with the final line being replaced with the words: “Win back the country”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tom-tugendhat-tory-leadership-campaign-b2585829.html

Lando Norris is at 2.2 on Betfair to win at Spa.
    Just above evens seems ridiculously short odds when not only his teammate, but two other teams have a chance of competing.

Have laid.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,587
    So the lying about public finances has started already.....

Apropos?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,490
    Nigelb said:

I fucking hope so 😆

Apropos?
    Reeves 20 billion hole. It's only a hole because Labour want to spend. The hole is illusory.
    edited July 26

Apropos?
    Reeves 20 billion hole. It's only a hole because Labour want to spend. The hole is illusory.
    It's Labour who are creating the hole and blaming it on the Tories. It will end in tears for us all. Taxed to buggery and still there will be a mess to clear up eventually.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,546
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

Missed this. Suella Braverman calls for the 2 child benefit cap to be scrapped, a couple of days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb-BXZF1s0I

If only she had been in a position of power to do something about it... 😃
    I believe a large number of current Labour MPs called for it to be scrapped before 04/07/24.
    This being in government thing seems to be the problem..
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,565
    Good morning everyone

F1: Verstappen 'probably' will have a 10 place grid penalty for engine changes. https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article/verstappen-concedes-engine-penalty-is-likely-in-belgium-as-he-admits-red.VtHND6trdqkHrCtCzUh8E
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,749
    Nigelb said:

Next fed meeting, end of July.

Apropos?
    She’s offered departments a spending wish list and will present that as a gap.
    Taz said:

Apropos?
    She’s offered departments a spending wish list and will present that as a gap.
    But it's a straightforward lie.
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

I fucking hope so 😆
    It seems to be on

https://x.com/convertbond/status/1816102471879499898?s=61
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,600
    Off-topics:

The Museum of London is rebranding itself as the 'London Museum' (*), and has come up with a rather startling logo: the 'pigeon and splat'

"A good logo gets people talking. Our pigeon, cast from London clay, and its splat, rendered in glitter, prompts people to reconsider London."

https://www.londonmuseum.org.uk/blog/how-we-created-the-new-london-museum-brand/

And no, as far as I can tell this is not a mistimed April Fool. It is a load of bird droppings.

(*) This will not confuse people. Oh no.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,675
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:
    Wasn't he the bastard who was vile to Nads?

Oh, as you were.
    "On 11 April 2009, it was reported by The Daily Telegraph that McBride had sent a series of emails to former Labour Party official Derek Draper discussing plans to set up the Red Rag blog which would be used to post rumours they had made up about the private lives of senior and high-profile members of the Conservative Party. These false rumours were to have included sexual and personal allegations about Conservative politicians and their spouses, including Nadine Dorries, David and Samantha Cameron, and George and Frances Osborne."

More than just Nads - going after spouses is a bit off.
    Remember the context.

David and Samantha Cameron had just buried Ivan Cameron and McBride et al were smearing that Dave had an STD/was sleeping around.

Starmer is a [moderated] for hiring McBride to be a part of his government, he can never take the moral high ground again.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,697

Apropos?
    It's being presented as a shortfall for existing spending plans. That is, the Tory spending plans that existed before the election.
    Paul Waugh, the 'political journalist'-now-Labour-MP, seems very sympathetic with the family of the man in the Manchester; but appears to have shown no compassion for the police injured in the incident.

https://x.com/paulwaugh

This could become a problem for Labour; trying to balance the concerns of a community with support for police who have to a very hard job.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,197
    Nigelb said:

It's ON !!

Step forward...

Stride announces Conservative leadership bid
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd1rp80v76lo

Its a tough path ahead of him and I am yet to be convinced he can do the hard yards.
    Chris said:

Apropos?
    It's being presented as a shortfall for existing spending plans. That is, the Tory spending plans that existed before the election.
    It's a lie being perpetrated on the electorate.. expect more of the same. At least the Tories had Liam Byrne's letter..
    An interesting stat from the US, if true:

"BESPOKE: “.. In inflation-adjusted terms, the current pace of [US] factory investment dwarfs any prior period. Dating back to 1929, there's never been a period of factory construction activity even close to what we're seeing today.”"

https://x.com/carlquintanilla/status/1816551855633187082
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,197
    Very promising state polling for Harris in New Hampshire and Maine, where earlier polling was showing a level race but now Harris has a 6-9 pt lead, nearly all from squeezing Kennedy and other minor candidates.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/maine/
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/new-hampshire/

If she can do the same in the key swing states it should be hunky dory.

Chris said:

Apropos?
    It's a lie being perpetrated on the electorate.. expect more of the same. At least the Tories had Liam Byrne's letter..
    Can you provide a source for your claim that the 20 billion represents additional Labour spending, not spending that the Tories had planned?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,580

Apropos?
    It's Labour who are creating the hole and blaming it on the Tories. It will end in tears for us all. Taxed to buggery and still there will be a mess to clear up eventually.
    £20b my arse! State of NHS, state of Education, requirement for defence spending, and have you seen the state of national infrastructure. I travelled along the Surrey section of the M25 for the first time in a few years. The state of the road surface was such it sounded like the tyres were being shredded. It you tot up what needs spending to stand still it's more like £200b.

The dereliction of duty by the last Government is mind boggling
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,694
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Apropos?
    Can you provide a source for your claim that the 20 billion represents additional Labour spending, not spending that the Tories had planned?
    I'm sceptical of this claim as well.

Given our deficit, I don't see how it's a mere £20 billion.
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,410

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

A couple of weeks ago Andy Burnham was jigging in the Sky News election night studio, now he has to deal with this.

"Protests break out for second night in Manchester after Burnham calls for calm"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/07/25/politics-latest-news-keir-starmer-tom-tugendhat/

I don't fully understand what's going on, but looking at the posters it appears to be fuelled by the BLM mob. It's not clear AFAICS what had happened at Manchester Airport which led to the incident.

Film of police officer kicking a protester in the head.

Regardless of provocation, if any, pretty dumb thing to do in this day and age in front of a crowd where someone is sure to capture the moment.
    They weren't protesters. They were wanted for assaulting police officers and resisting arrest. 3 officers required hospital treatment. Clearly what has happened is the officer has lost his temper, which is worrying for an armed cop. In the UK, they are the most highly trained and is rare to see them be ones not acting calmly. Even the cases brought against them for shooting individuals, in basically every case, they only shot as a last resort. We don't really have the US problem of cops being trigger happy.
    Yes, the police are rightly held to a very high standard because of the power they hold over us as a result of their positions. That does mean that on occasion it might feel harsh to condemn, but it is necessary not to let such things slide, even when context means it is not as awful as it might appear at first glance.
    There is also quite a big difference between the standards / training of the "bobby on the beat" and those allowed to carry weapons. Pretty much every case in the UK of police misbehaving, they aren't the ones with the shooters. There have been the odd high profile case e.g. Duggan, but again they weren't shooting him in a moment of rage, he was known violent armed criminal, they stopped him in a pre-planned operation, he pulled his weapon. There was no head stomping, in fact they tried to save his life.
    There was also the Scotsman with a table leg, who was not an Irishman with a gun.

Paul Waugh, the 'political journalist'-now-Labour-MP, seems very sympathetic with the family of the man in the Manchester; but appears to have shown no compassion for the police injured in the incident.

This could become a problem for Labour; trying to balance the concerns of a community with support for police who have to a very hard job.

From your link, it appears Waugh is trying to cool tempers in Rochdale after the Manchester Airport incident. He says the family will take no part in protests. He emphasises the independent investigation. Waugh adds the detail that some of the stamp victim's relatives are in the police. But to your point, his statement includes that three police officers were injured, one with a broken nose.
    edited July 26
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Apropos?
    I'm sceptical of this claim as well.

Given our deficit, I don't see how it's a mere £20 billion.
    For example, the BBC reports:
    "The "black hole" arises because the government says it must spend extra money to keep public services functioning.
    However, governments draw up their own rules to meet on how much they should borrow to fund public services like the NHS and how the country’s debt that is accrued is managed.
    The extra money that the government needs to find to meet self-imposed targets around debt in the future has been labelled as the "black hole".
    The former Chancellor Jeremy Hunt may have instead suggested not spending these sums."

That could be more clearly written, but I read it as saying that the spending was already implied by the requirements of essential services, and the expectation was that borrowing rules would have to be modified, but that Hunt may have suggested instead not spending the money. But in any case, there is no implication at all there that this is new spending initiated by Labour.

From your link, it appears Waugh is trying to cool tempers in Rochdale after the Manchester Airport incident. He says the family will take no part in protests. He emphasises the independent investigation. Waugh adds the detail that some of the stamp victim's relatives are in the police. But to your point, his statement includes that three police officers were injured, one with a broken nose.
    No.

His statement says: "The police have said that while trying to arrest a suspect, three of their officers were attacked. They said that one officer suffered a broken nose and all three needed hospital treatment."

Note the use of "The police have said...", which suggests that he does not believe the police.

And there is nothing saying, for example, that he wishes the injured police a speedy recovery. Hence why I said "no compassion".
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,318

CatMan said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

I have still not quite got over that story of the cleaner who was causing a death pretty much every day by connecting her hoover to the same plug as the life support machine.

Such a myth that you can buy non standard sockets for equipment rooms so that the cleaner physically cannot plug into the clean IT supply.

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/134136-2-gang-13a-dp-switched-socket-non-standard-white?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8c_--ffChwMV9aNQBh3xiggZEAQYASABEgL95_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I once worked on a midframe/mainframe computer where the power switch had a plastic cover over it, because allegedly a cleaner had once powered one down accidentally with the handle of their mop.
    How to clean a server room with much sloshing around of liquid: https://youtube.com/shorts/F4XDc2iPK4I

(But the secret is it’s not water.)

No.

His statement says: "The police have said that while trying to arrest a suspect, three of their officers were attacked. They said that one officer suffered a broken nose and all three needed hospital treatment."

Note the use of "The police have said...", which suggests that he does not believe the police.

And there is nothing saying, for example, that he wishes the injured police a speedy recovery. Hence why I said "no compassion".
    Waugh also attributes other quotes to the family. Waugh is a journalist by trade, and this is his journalistic style. He added: I also asked the Assistant Chief Constable to pass on my thoughts and concern for the female police officer injured in the run up to this incident.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,580

No.

I don't believe Waugh has suggested anything out of place here. The key issue is a red mist descended and the copper kicked the living shit out of someone behaving like a scumbag. It is not his role to gain retribution for injuries the detained man inflicted on colleagues. He has been trained to remain in control, he lost control.

A number of Reform MPs are rallying around the copper suggesting he should be rewarded for his violence. That is clearly nonsense. In my view the guy on the floor should receive a custodial sentence for ABH, and the copper should receive a custodial sentence for ABH. As it stands the scumbag probably gets compo too. It's a mad world.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,675

NEW THREAD

CatMan said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

How to clean a server room with much sloshing around of liquid: https://youtube.com/shorts/F4XDc2iPK4I

Cool. We never had that when I worked in a datacentre, although our cabling standards were better. They have unlabelled cables going into unlabelled servers, probably all using the same power feed.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,522
    edited July 26

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

A couple of weeks ago Andy Burnham was jigging in the Sky News election night studio, now he has to deal with this.

"Protests break out for second night in Manchester after Burnham calls for calm"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/07/25/politics-latest-news-keir-starmer-tom-tugendhat/

I don't fully understand what's going on, but looking at the posters it appears to be fuelled by the BLM mob. It's not clear AFAICS what had happened at Manchester Airport which led to the incident.

Film of police officer kicking a protester in the head.

Regardless of provocation, if any, pretty dumb thing to do in this day and age in front of a crowd where someone is sure to capture the moment.
    They weren't protesters. They were wanted for assaulting police officers and resisting arrest. 3 officers required hospital treatment. Clearly what has happened is the officer has lost his temper, which is worrying for an armed cop. In the UK, they are the most highly trained and is rare to see them be ones not acting calmly. Even the cases brought against them for shooting individuals, in basically every case, they only shot as a last resort. We don't really have the US problem of cops being trigger happy.
    Yes, the police are rightly held to a very high standard because of the power they hold over us as a result of their positions. That does mean that on occasion it might feel harsh to condemn, but it is necessary not to let such things slide, even when context means it is not as awful as it might appear at first glance.
    There is also quite a big difference between the standards / training of the "bobby on the beat" and those allowed to carry weapons. Pretty much every case in the UK of police misbehaving, they aren't the ones with the shooters. There have been the odd high profile case e.g. Duggan, but again they weren't shooting him in a moment of rage, he was known violent armed criminal, they stopped him in a pre-planned operation, he pulled his weapon. There was no head stomping, in fact they tried to save his life.
    There was also the Scotsman with a table leg, who was not an Irishman with a gun.
    That was 25 years ago. Which sort of proves my point. That incidents are the armed police really makes a balls up, we can remember basically each incident. Where as the US, its called a day ending in y.

Jean Charles de Menezes was the big failure. Thankful the person in charge that day didn't get promoted up the chain....
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,646
    edited July 26

Apropos?
    Not necessarily.

Of course an incoming government has an incentive for blaming its predecessors for leaving a mess, as justification for making some unpopular early decisions.

But equally a government that knew it would soon be outgoing has an incentive not to be open about its problems and no incentive to do anything about them.

We saw how the Conservatives were in government. It’s entirely credible that they put a load of awkward stuff in the too hard tray, for the next lot to sort out.

The Post Office scandal is just one example - the evidence is that the government had sent out instructions to play the whole thing as long as possible - a plan foiled only by the ITV New Year drama.
  • So the lying about public finances has started already.....

Apropos?
    As I have said several times, if it pays less to earn the money but pays more to sit at home suckling on the taxpayers teat people will do precisely that.
  • An interesting stat from the US, if true:

"BESPOKE: “.. In inflation-adjusted terms, the current pace of [US] factory investment dwarfs any prior period. Dating back to 1929, there's never been a period of factory construction activity even close to what we're seeing today.”"

How much factory per $ even inflation adjusted do you get now compared with 1929 given all the rules, regulations, h&s, assurance etc now required?

An interesting stat from the US, if true:

How much factory per $ even inflation adjusted do you get now compared with 1929 given all the rules, regulations, h&s, assurance etc now required?
    I'd think the output production would be much higher nowadays. Processes don't all stack up in the negative column.
    edited July 26

No.

I don't believe Waugh has suggested anything out of place here. The key issue is a red mist descended and the copper kicked the living shit out of someone behaving like a scumbag. It is not his role to gain retribution for injuries the detained man inflicted on colleagues. He has been trained to remain in control, he lost control.

A number of Reform MPs are rallying around the copper suggesting he should be rewarded for his violence. That is clearly nonsense. In my view the guy on the floor should receive a custodial sentence for ABH, and the copper should receive a custodial sentence for ABH. As it stands the scumbag probably gets compo too. It's a mad world.
    The problem - and my problem, and Waugh's problem - is that WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED. We have a partial view from an edited (trimmed) video that has caused a furore.

As for the officer 'losing control'; since the initial video starts at such an odd moment, you cannot say whether the office was acting reasonably or not. It looks terrible; but as we all know, looks can be deceptive.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,486

CatMan said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

Not seen that before. Very cool.
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,963
    kinabalu said:

Wahay. This bodes well for a decade of national renewal under a changed Labour Party back in the service of working people.

Cheap and plentiful gas supplies pushing accelerated Climate Chaos (my preferred new terminology) bodes ill for the planet and everyone on it.
This discussion has been closed.