Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Powered Up – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,675
    kle4 said:

Well.

#New General Election Poll

🔵 Harris 44% (+1)
    🔴 Trump 43%

Last poll Trump vs Biden - 🔴 Trump +4

Change polls #C - 2137 RV - 7/22-24

https://x.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1816529169817436199

May the honeymoon period be long and deep.
    That's what she said.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,522
    edited July 25
    kle4 said:

Taz said:

Now we have the “wholetruthtwo” denied a fair trial according to Just Stop Oil.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c51y99yrj49o

Same judge as the last lot - an enemy of the people, no doubt.
    Phoebe Plummer has already been to the cink for previous crimes. Repeat offender.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

Well.

🔵 Harris 44% (+1)
    🔴 Trump 43%

Solid.

I can remember exactly what I was doing when I got the news Trump was shot. And heard how he was going to cruise to victory over the no longer oustable Biden (never did understand that bit).
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,396
    On topic I was very concerned to read Ed Conroy's piece in the ST which said the reason that gas prices have moderated somewhat is that we are back to buying large quantities of Russian gas, mainly in LPG format. Most of this is going to Europe but it is landing in the UK because we have the better LPG ports.

Europe is basically funding Russia's war machine because we found weaning ourselves off Russian gas just too hard and expensive. So I hope Robert is right about alternative sources of energy because the price in Ukrainian lives and hypocrisy is rather high at the moment.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,694
    DavidL said:

Oh, we are back. I haven't been able to log on for an hour or so.

“The problem with J.D. Vance is he has no convictions,” said Beshear. “But I guess his running mate has 34.”

That was going around last night.

But it's good to see Beshear knows how to speak English proper.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,728
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

Fascinating and hopeful article. Thanks Robert.

Due you have any figures for the current UK/world % of energy from solar/renewables and future projections for the same with timescales?

Also what will it mean for the future of petrol vehicles? Cheaper petrol and less oil dependence means petrol vehicles become cheaper to run and less likely to become redundant? Or Electric vehicles become so cheap to run that petrol vehicles are too expensive a choice comparatively? (Vested interest here. We are thinking of buying a
    diesel campervan soon.)

The sooner we can get off fossil fuels, the better. So far, every month of this year has set a new record for the global average surface temperature for that month. We need to cut our use of fossil fuels pronto in order to mitigate the risk of climate catastrophe.
    It can't be done in the short term without impoverishing the developing world because they are the reason fossil fuel consumption is still rising.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/jun/20/fossil-fuel-use-reaches-global-record-despite-clean-energy-growth
    If we buy fewer fossil fuels, that means that the price of fossil fuels declines, which is good for the developing world.
    But it doesn't reduce the consumption of fossil fuels overall.
    Thanks to China and the developed world fossil fuel consumption is already peaking: even BP thinks that 2025 is peak world oil demand.
    In 2020 they said we had already passed peak oil demand, so their predictions need to be taken with a pinch of salt. Even if they are right, it still means that substantial emissions will continue.

The idea that we can substantially change the trajectory without making people poorer is a fantasy, even if we succeed in increasing the proportion of renewable energy.
    Here's BP's 2020 Energy Outlook: https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/business-sites/en/global/corporate/pdfs/energy-economics/energy-outlook/bp-energy-outlook-2020.pdf

In one of their scenarios (Net Zero), they predict oil demand has peaked. But it was not their central scenario.

If you look at this year's Energy Outlook, it is significantly more pessimistic on oil demand than the 2020 piece.
    From the key points in that document:

If regions with energy consumption per capita below EU levels increased to at least EU levels, global energy demand would be over 55% higher. This required increase falls to around 45% if regions with energy consumption per capital above EU levels reduced their average consumption levels to EU levels.

So a world in which the rest of the planet mirrors the EU, global energy demand will be 45% higher than it is today.

Even under their most optimistic net zero scenario, they predict that global consumption of oil will only fall to around the level it was at in the 1960s.
    DavidL said:

On topic I was very concerned to read Ed Conroy's piece in the ST which said the reason that gas prices have moderated somewhat is that we are back to buying large quantities of Russian gas, mainly in LPG format. Most of this is going to Europe but it is landing in the UK because we have the better LPG ports.

Europe is basically funding Russia's war machine because we found weaning ourselves off Russian gas just too hard and expensive. So I hope Robert is right about alternative sources of energy because the price in Ukrainian lives and hypocrisy is rather high at the moment.

If i remember correctly, even stuff we don't buy directly, the likes of Saudi buy it at below market rate, then sell it on at market.

Well.

🔵 Harris 44% (+1)
    🔴 Trump 43%

The American way of showing polls is irritating and gives you no idea of the direction of travel. In this case we are given a comparator and that is quite a bounce.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 25
    Being a contrarian here. If gas (and hence electricity prices) are going to crater due to big extraction investment, what is the point in going through the following ballache:

* Buy Solar Panels, Inverters and Batteries.
    * Pay for and get planning permission.
    * Get and pay for someone to drill lots of holes in my roof and install solar panels.
    * Get and pay for someone to run big cables from the roof to the garage and make good.
    * get and pay for someone to install battery and inverter in garage.
    * Get and pay for someone to interface it to the electricity supply.
    * Pay a maintenance contract charge.
    * Pay for someone to renew it all in 10-20 years.
    * have an encumberance on the roof which might complicate selling it.

Wouldn't I be better off investing it or sticking it in a building society and paying for the extra elec with the interest/dividends?

Appreciate in places without 20% VAT, rip off installer costs and all sorts of bureaucratic/regulatory costs added on it might be easier.
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,410
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Why are not solar panels not automatically fitted to new houses? Three new estates have recently been built near us and not a solar panel in sight!

Same question re: large warehouses.

eg: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4830846,-1.102473,690m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

If they are cheap enough the orientation doesn't matter.
    Weight might be an issue with pre-existing warehouses; they are built to cope with the usual dead loads and live loads. Whilst solar panels and their peripherals don't weigh that much, over that sort of area the weight (and hence load) add up.

I do wonder how panels raised up off an existing roof affects the wind loading; if the wind gets behind them, they could act like a sail.
    That's exactly what worries me about my house. It's perfectly angled to the prevailing gales for any panel with a space below to act as a lifting slat. I'm eyeing up the (new) timber shed but it's in just as bad a position - on a raised plinth where the gales are funnelled across its length. It's already screwed and strapped down to its plinth as i tis.
    There are solutions around if you look, including ground mounting if you have space.

IIRC my Scottish Building Regs, roofs are strapped down rather than held down by their own mass as in England (?) - so it is about whether that provides enough reserve tiedown security for the extra wind load.

As an anecdata check, do roofs themselves often blow off in Scotland in Gaels' Gales? If not that often that would suggest ruth out, young manobustness.

I'd have a drive around the area looking for similar installations that catch the wind, and knock to ask them about what they had done, and who did it.

Buildhub.co.uk (forum where I am a moderator) would also be able to answer. We have lots of Scots, and people who have fled there to be able build a house for less than a King's Ransom.
    It's not so much the issue of it being mounted but the extra upthrust the mounting can enforce aerodynamically because of the space underneath. Mine is one of the houses that periodically gets ridge tiles missing. And none of the local installations on similar houses look that great. Mind, we haven't had a really bad storm for a few years!

I'd prefer ground mounting or combining it with a new shed etc if/when we move house to somewhere else.

mounting? upthrust? wash your mouth out!
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,282
    DavidL said:

“The problem with J.D. Vance is he has no convictions,” said Beshear. “But I guess his running mate has 34.”

IF Democrats (like me) want a VP nominee who can duke it out with J.D. Vance, take some hard hits, and give better than he gets - Kamala Harris could do FAR worse than Andy Beshear.

Another reason I like him, is that he has demonstrated appeal for rural voters. NOT all, or even a majority, but enough to REALLY help Harris AND downballot Democrats in tight, tough races from sea to shining sea.

Including methinks in places where there are spacious skies and amber waves of grain, also purple mountain majesties above the (LBGT ALERT!) fruited plain.

Being a contrarian here. If gas (and hence electricity prices) are going to crater due to big extraction investment, what is the point in going through the following ballache:

* Get and pay for someone to drill lots of holes in my roof and install solar panels.
    * Get and pay for someone to run big cables from the roof to the garage and make good.

Wouldn't I be better off investing it or sticking it in a building society and paying for the extra elec with the interest/dividends?

Appreciate in places without 20% VAT, rip off installer costs and all sorts of bureaucratic/regulatory costs added on it might be easier.

Why do you need planning permission?
    You don't need a maintenance contract either.
    Mortgage companies prefer solar panels. Cuts electricity bills, makes it easier for them to pay mortgage fees.

And one company will do an all-inclusive on the rest.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,037

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Phoebe Plummer has already been to the cink for previous crimes. Repeat offender.
    An habitual criminal? One who accepts arrest as an occupational hazard and accepts imprisonment in the same casual manner?
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,526
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

An habitual criminal? One who accepts arrest as an occupational hazard and accepts imprisonment in the same casual manner?
    Bad feet though.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,153
    OK, who unplugged the server to recharge their phone? Mentioning NO NAMES...

DavidL said:

IF Democrats (like me) want a VP nominee who can duke it out with J.D. Vance, take some hard hits, and give better than he gets - Kamala Harris could do FAR worse than Andy Beshear.

Another reason I like him, is that he has demonstrated appeal for rural voters. NOT all, or even a majority, but enough to REALLY help Harris AND downballot Democrats in tight, tough races from sea to shining sea.

Including methinks in places where there are spacious skies and amber waves of grain, also purple mountain majesties above the (LBGT ALERT!) fruited plain.
    Fruited plains and brokeback mountains. Woke ol' country you got there.
    kle4 said:

Taz said:

Very surprised that he gave them bail to be honest.
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Like what I does. :)
    edited July 25
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Its ok, they will do the opposite of doing a runner, the authorities will shortly find them glued to something again.

Permitted development. All done by installers. No maintenance. Attractive to buyers.
    viewcode said:

That is a disgraceful insinuation.

viewcode said:

That is a disgraceful insinuation.

Removed on taste and decency grounds
    Sir, how could you? There may be people with health conditions reading.
  • ydoethur said:

Mortgage companies prefer solar panels. Cuts electricity bills, makes it easier for them to pay mortgage fees.

Solar panels can be a bit of a minefield for homeowners/mortgage holders.

https://www.bellbuxton.co.uk/news/i-want-to-do-my-bit-for-the-environment-butwill-solar-panels-affect-my-mortgage.

Yes you don't need a maintenance contract, you don't need one for a gas boiler either, but it does make life a lot easier if it packs up or a panel breaks (noting its on a roof where scaffolding is required to access it under working at height regulations)

Planning permissions. There are some exemptions, but again a bit of a minefield.

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/planning-and-building-control/planning-advice-and-guidance/solar-panels-and-planning-permission/#:~:text=Standalone solar panels,-The following limits&text=Further installations will need planning,3m wide and 3m deep.

It strikes me as a lot less hassle (and possibly cost) to use the money to buy shares in a power station than run my own power station.

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Bad feet though.
    • Doctor: "Fill out that sample" indicating a vial ten feet away
    • Fletcher: "What, from here?"
    (Narrator: Clemens/LaFrenais later re-used the same joke in the Bond film "Never Say Never Again")
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Can rely on collaring them all at Chloe's brother's wedding.
    Politico.com - Obama to throw his full support behind Harris

The former president’s backing could come as soon as Thursday.

Former President Barack Obama plans to endorse Vice President Kamala Harris’ presidential bid, according to two people familiar with his plans.

That endorsement could come as soon as Thursday, according to one of the people granted anonymity to speak about an endorsement that is not yet public. . . .

Obama had reportedly been among the Democratic leaders who privately urged Biden to reconsider his candidacy. But Obama withheld his endorsement even as Biden, his former vice president, anointed her as his heir apparent. . . .

That move was criticized by many Democrats, who saw it as an insult. On a Black Men for Harris call this week, multiple men on the call knocked Obama for holding his powder dry, especially for a Black woman. . .

But the wait before endorsing was intentional. A person familiar with Obama’s thinking said he didn’t want to put his thumb on the scale as the party worked through the process of determining its nominee.

Now that Harris is clearly on the glide path to the nomination, Obama plans to offer his backing to the freshly minted Democratic candidate. . . .

It’s unclear what the actual endorsement will look like, but it’s likely to be more than just a paper statement, according to those people familiar.

SSI - reckon this trumps (!) the NY Post story yesterday with source that is (allegedly) Biden family relation.

Maybe 14th cousin 13 times removed?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,694
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Fpt for @Andy_JS

“The anti-tourism revolt continues.

https://www.thetimes.com/world/europe/article/portuguese-protesters-battling-tourist-hell-call-for-guerrilla-action-327vp3x7c

"Portuguese town beloved by Byron turning into ‘amusement park’

People living in Sintra — once hailed as the most delightful town in Europe — say mass tourism has turned it into a ‘tourist hell’ amid calls for ‘guerrilla action’"”

This is only going to get worse. Partly for the reasons mentioned in the threader. Wealthier consumers - worldwide - all wanting to travel

It’s why, professionally, I get excited by a place like Aveyron which is gorgeous and sunny and charming and yet barely touristed. And then I go and ruin it

And then you write about it and a shit ton of tourists turn up and turn it into a tourist shithole...when will you take responsibility for that
    A man’s gotta make a buck
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,603
    a

The solar on my roof runs the air conditioning in the loft, and sells back to energy company.

The only encumbrance thing is if you took one of those moronic “deals” where you rented your roof for 30 years to the actual owners of the solar panels.
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Like pre-WW1 suffragettes?
    Maybe we can send the eco-fascists for some behavioural training with the horsey lady.
    edited July 25

ydoethur said:

https://www.bellbuxton.co.uk/news/i-want-to-do-my-bit-for-the-environment-butwill-solar-panels-affect-my-mortgage.

Yes you don't need a maintenance contract, you don't need one for a gas boiler either, but it does make life a lot easier if it packs up or a panel breaks (noting its on a roof where scaffolding is required to access it under working at height regulations)

Planning permissions. There are some exemptions, but again a bit of a minefield.

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/planning-and-building-control/planning-advice-and-guidance/solar-panels-and-planning-permission/#:~:text=Standalone solar panels,-The following limits&text=Further installations will need planning,3m wide and 3m deep.

It strikes me as a lot less hassle (and possibly cost) to use the money to buy shares in a power station than run my own power station.

Do you live in a Conservation Area or a World Heritage site? If not, planning permission doesn't apply.

You can install them on listed buildings without too much trouble. It's one letter.

How would a panel break, once installed? Are you planning to drop rocks on your roof?

In nine years I've never had any trouble that needs addressing with my solar panels. I've had much more trouble with my oven.

In that time they have saved me thousands of pounds on my electricity bills. And they're not even the newer generation ones.

Anyone who can afford get solar panels and doesn't is frankly barking mad.
    viewcode said:

I have still not quite got over that story of the cleaner who was causing a death pretty much every day by connecting her hoover to the same plug as the life support machine.
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/62/Normanstanleyfletcher.PNG
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,795
    The world as a whole may (or may not) benefit from lower energy prices over the next decade. Projecting them is a mug's game - they can be falling for ages, then one crisis in the Middle East, and we're back to where we were.

Energy isn't fully fungible either, because of transportation costs. Oil is pretty global, but the price of natural gas in the US is around a third or a quarter of that in the UK. LNG can be moved around, but shipping and the related infrastructure is expensive and insufficient to equalise prices.

Finally, we, with some of the most expensive energy in the world, are about to do yet more damage to ourselves with Moron Miliband and Nut Zero. There will hopefully be a backlash, but not until lots of damage has been done.

Starmer is a moronically stupid general.
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

No conviction is actually correct (if hypercorrect) - I have no apple, I have one apple, I have two apples

The best lack all conviction

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/62/Normanstanleyfletcher.PNG
    Don't make em like they used to...
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,750
    kle4 said:

Taz said:

Yes, but in this case a genuine enemy of the people and not an unjust attack on the judiciary.

Unlike the Brexit cases.

Meanwhile the Rest is Politics podcast happily criticises the verdicts of the wholetruthfive at length but Alistair Campbell happily admits he has not read the judgement.

Jokers

https://x.com/campbellclaret/status/1816397448186654833?s=61
    DavidL said:

Well.

🔵 Harris 44% (+1)
    🔴 Trump 43%

The American way of showing polls is irritating and gives you no idea of the direction of travel. In this case we are given a comparator and that is quite a bounce.
    So there IS a post-Republican convention bounce . . . just NOT for the GOP ticket . . .
    edited July 25
    Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Yes, but in this case a genuine enemy of the people and not an unjust attack on the judiciary.

Unlike the Brexit cases.

Meanwhile the Rest is Politics podcast happily criticises the verdicts of the wholetruthfive at length but Alistair Campbell happily admits he has not read the judgement.

Jokers

Remind, wasn't he part of the government that wanted to lock people for up ages even when they hadn't been found guilty of anything....because they might have been terrorists.
    What should be the punishment for damage to art?

My first thoughts are that destruction of a valuable Tracey Emin should be punishable by an all paid expenses stay for two weeks in Claridges, whereas a small scratch on some of the great impressionist works demand and require the death penalty, or forced conversation with Tracey Emin for 30 minutes.

I don't think that the Sunflowers daubs are in any way great, but I do think that they are great in the history of art. The full lock up and rot treatment then, but I think it illustrates that it's not the art that matters, but the history.

edited July 25
    I believe I am the first British traveller ever to reach the toothsome little fortified Templar town of Sainte-Eulalie-de-Cernon - which is, this evening, having an adorably French fete in the main fountain square by the 13th century commandery complete with aligot stands next to boho jazz bands

I’m like the first guy off the mayflower at Plymouth Rock. The locals are eyeing me nervously, and with good reason - as I carefully take my notes

By next year there will be ten of me. The year after, ten thousand
    edited July 25

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

No conviction is actually correct (if hypercorrect) - I have no apple, I have one apple, I have two apples

The point here is we are using 'conviction' as a synonym for 'principle.' And you do have multiple principles.* Therefore 'convictions' is correct in this context.

Just as you can have multiple criminal convictions (Donald Trump can explain this to you).

*It can be argued that Vance is also like his boss, a Marxist in this regard and does have many principles. If people don't like his principles, he has others.

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Jailed for telling the truth on climate change. I bet she was also a gifted musician like Cressida.

The worlds burning and we’re not learning !

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Unlike the Brexit cases.

Jokers

Remind, wasn't he part of the government that wanted to lock people for up ages even when they hadn't been found guilty of anything....because they might have been terrorists.
    Yes, they wanted, initially, indefinite detention without trial.
    And thus I ruin another of the last unspoiled corners of Europe. Like the Genghis Khan of coach trips

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

It's an obscure Britishism, @SeaShantyIrish2 . It's part of the title sequence to a rather good 1970s British sitcom called "Porridge" (a slang term for a prison sentence)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvmYfcQB5HY
    Omnium said:

My first thoughts are that destruction of a valuable Tracey Emin should be punishable by an all paid expenses stay for two weeks in Claridges, whereas a small scratch on some of the great impressionist works demand and require the death penalty, or forced conversation with Tracey Emin for 30 minutes.

Now, hang on. That's going waaaaay too far.
    edited July 25

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Unlike the Brexit cases.

Jokers

Yes, they wanted, initially, indefinite detention without trial.
    I could easily seen the Blair government gone much harder on the eco-fascists. David Blunkett had no issues with locking up people, and didn't they eventually lose a court case of indefinite sentences?
    Leon said:

I believe I am the first British traveller ever to reach the toothsome little fortified Templar town of Sainte-Eulalie-de-Cernon - which is, this evening, having an adorably French fete in the main fountain square by the 13th century commandery complete with aligot stands next to boho jazz bands

I’m like the first guy off the mayflower at Plymouth Rock. The locals are eyeing me nervously, and with good reason - as I carefully take my notes

I presume the local British pub confirmed this?

DavidL said:

Well.

🔵 Harris 44% (+1)
    🔴 Trump 43%

So there IS a post-Republican convention bounce . . . just NOT for the GOP ticket . . .
    The Democrats will go big on splashes for their key weapon soon.

They will ad Vance on all channels.
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Now, hang on. That's going waaaaay too far.
    Definitely not article 3 compliant.
    edited July 25
    Leon said:

And thus I ruin another of the last unspoiled corners of Europe. Like the Genghis Khan of coach trips

Its not your writing, its the Instagram-ification. Rather people go on holiday, find a nice sport, pethaps bore their friends about it with the holiday snaps, now these locations get shared to millions of people, which encourages others to go, who put it on Instagram, and rinse and repeat.
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Ain’t no pubs here. Yet

DavidL said:

Fruited plains and brokeback mountains. Woke ol' country you got there.
    You left out Gay Head, on Martha's Vineyard.

Also West Quody Head, the easternmost point in the 50 states. (East Quody Head is in Nova Scotia).

Talk about deviant if not outright degenerate!

Taz said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Unlike the Brexit cases.

Jokers

And gave us the 2000 terrorism act which saw the police harrass people for stuff like taking a picture in a public space. I guess he also gave the September dossier which led to our I’ll fated venture in Iraq the same forensic analysis

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/apr/16/police-delete-tourist-photos

ydoethur said:

Like most subjects, you know what you speak of.

Solar panels are covered as part of most home insurance policies.

https://www.comparethemarket.com/home-insurance/content/solar-panels/

We've had solar panels for nearly twenty years, worth every penny.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

The point here is we are using 'conviction' as a synonym for 'principle.' And you do have multiple principles.* Therefore 'convictions' is correct in this context.

Just as you can have multiple criminal convictions (Donald Trump can explain this to you).

*It can be argued that Vance is also like his boss, a Marxist in this regard and does have many principles. If people don't like his principles, he has others.
    That's not what is being said. Even if we were talking about multiple discrete convictions (that Elvis is still alive, that Leon staged the lab leak) He has no conviction would be correct just as He has no apple would be (but pedantic in both cases). But it's also legitimate to treat conviction as a general attribute like courage or modesty as Yeats is doing: The best lack all conviction means they are lacking in a general way, not that they have no specific unshakeable beliefs about things like Bigfoot and what3words.
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Ain’t no pubs here. Yet
    I wonder what the coverage by nationality of having been to somewhere is? Imagine a great map and it getting shaded in if a Belgian (say) has been within 10 metres. I suspect that the British would be top. Perhaps just Slough and the extreme Southern climes?
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 25
    Ok I will bite.

"A typical 4kW solar panel system, including installation, costs £5,000 - £6,000. Added together, the total cost of solar panels and a battery in the UK is £13,000-£15,500.

You can save between £440 - £1,005 per year on electricity costs, breaking even in 7 - 9 years."

https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/blog/2014/08/what-is-the-installation-cost-for-solar-panels.

Lets say the cost is the midpoint £14,250 and the saving is the midpoint £772.50p per year.

If I invest the money instead I only need a 5.5% annual return to be better off?

(noting also that Robert is predicting a gas glut so fuel prices will fall, lessening the saving.

Whats the point?
    Here’s a delicious mytho-ethno-puzzle

I noticed that in south Aveyron villages the locals put sunflowers on their doors. This is a very basque tradition. It’s to ward off evil

https://aboutbasquecountry.eus/en/2012/04/09/eguzkilore-the-flower-that-protects-the-basques/

I put it down to coincidence or some weird fashion - a southern European thing that spreads. Like the Aperol spritz

BUT - I’ve also been visiting the local churches to mock their lack of noom, and I’ve noticed that south Aveyron churches sometime have circular gravestones marked with sun symbols

And that is very definitely and uniquely basque. They are called Hilarri - pre Christian circular funerary stele

As Sir Kenneth Clark said in “Civilisation” - “what the mothering fuck is going on???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilarri

edited July 25
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

It's an obscure Britishism, @SeaShantyIrish2 . It's part of the title sequence to a rather good 1970s British sitcom called "Porridge" (a slang term for a prison sentence)

Dispute that the phrase "habitual criminal" is either obscure OR a Britishism, as it is well-know in USA, though in recent times tending to be replaced by "repeat offender".

ADDENDUM - but thanks for the YouTube link!

Ok I will bite.

"A typical 4kW solar panel system, including installation, costs £5,000 - £6,000. Added together, the total cost of solar panels and a battery in the UK is £13,000-£15,500.

You can save between £440 - £1,005 per year on electricity costs, breaking even in 7 - 9 years."

https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/blog/2014/08/what-is-the-installation-cost-for-solar-panels.

Lets say the cost is the midpoint £14,250 and the saving is the midpoint £772.50p per year.

If I invest the money instead I only need a 5.5% annual return to be better off?

Whats the point?

Your calculation misses the money we make from selling back to the grid.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,259
    edited July 25

Ok I will bite.

Whats the point?

Weening us off any sort of dependency on Russian energy, so that we can grind Putin into oblivion. Surely everyone wants that?
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,021
    DavidL said:

viewcode said:

I have still not quite got over that story of the cleaner who was causing a death pretty much every day by connecting her hoover to the same plug as the life support machine.
    Snopes says that's a myth

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/polished-off/

Ok I will bite.

Whats the point?

Which is? (Average, median, mean OR anecdotal.)
    edited July 25

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Dispute that the phrase "habitual criminal" is either obscure OR a Britishism, as it is well-know in USA, though in recent times tending to be replaced by "repeat offender".

ADDENDUM - but thanks for the YouTube link!
    The words "obscure Britishism" referred to the sitcom, not the phrase... :)
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Obscure britishism my shiny metal ass. Diamonds Are Forever, Leiter (CIA/Pinkerton's) to Bond

The trainer's another hoodlum--name of Budd, 'Rosy' Budd. They all sound pretty funny, these names. But you don't want to be taken in by it. He's from Kentucky, so he knows all about horses. He's been in trouble all over the South, what they call a 'little habitch' as opposed to a 'big habitch'--habitual criminal. Larceny, mugging, rape--nothing big. Enough to give him quite a bulky packet in police records. But for the last few years he's been running straight, if you care to call it that, as trainer for Spang."

Mind you Fleming pretty much made it up as he went along, so who knows?

Ok I will bite.

Whats the point?

Well..

A COUPLE make £3,200 a year selling their energy back to the grid after they installed money-saving home improvements.

John Rodge, 70, and wife Jacky spent nearly £10,000 installing solar panels on the roof of their five-bed Pembrokeshire home.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/24344815/make-thousands-selling-energy-back-grid/
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,764
    Leon said:

Apart from all the british people who have reviewed it on tripadvisor you mean

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1238512-d643353-Reviews-St_Eulalie_de_Cernon-Sainte_Eulalie_de_Cernon_Aveyron_Occitanie.html
  • Ok I will bite.

Whats the point?

Weening us off any sort of dependency on Russian energy, so that we can grind Putin into oblivion. Surely everyone wants that?
    But I could do that by investing in a commercial solar farm or wind turbine farm without having a load of crap on the roof?

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Obscure britishism my shiny metal ass. Diamonds Are Forever, Leiter (CIA/Pinkerton's) to Bond

The trainer's another hoodlum--name of Budd, 'Rosy' Budd. They all sound pretty funny, these names. But you don't want to be taken in by it. He's from Kentucky, so he knows all about horses. He's been in trouble all over the South, what they call a 'little habitch' as opposed to a 'big habitch'--habitual criminal. Larceny, mugging, rape--nothing big. Enough to give him quite a bulky packet in police records. But for the last few years he's been running straight, if you care to call it that, as trainer for Spang."

Ok I will bite.

(noting also that Robert is predicting a gas glut so fuel prices will fall, lessening the saving.

Whats the point?

Numbers are off, why does the battery cost so much? 9,000 for the lot is more realistic.

It's not a no brainer, sure, so holding off till it becomes one is a legit strategy. I had panels on my last house and found it very satisfying, it's great to think the appliances are running for free if you wash your clothes while the sun is out.
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1238512-d643353-Reviews-St_Eulalie_de_Cernon-Sainte_Eulalie_de_Cernon_Aveyron_Occitanie.html
    I know all about Eulalie.

Ok I will bite.

Whats the point?

That article is seriously out of date (ten years). You can get 10 panels and a battery for £9,000

The cost of installation can depend on how many panels you need, whether you choose to have battery storage, and what size of battery you require. The cost of a panel-only installation by Octopus starts from £3,880 (for 2 panels). A 10 panel installation and a 5kWh battery (our most popular system) costs £9,199.

https://octopus.energy/order/solar/

Try upping that return by a 30% reduction in costs and a 100% rise in electricity bills...
  • Ok I will bite.

Whats the point?

4p a Kwh currently from my supplier.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/smart-export-guarantee
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,490
    For Misterbedfordshire

• StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,669

Ok I will bite.

Whats the point?

Well..

A COUPLE make £3,200 a year selling their energy back to the grid after they installed money-saving home improvements.

John Rodge, 70, and wife Jacky spent nearly £10,000 installing solar panels on the roof of their five-bed Pembrokeshire home.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/24344815/make-thousands-selling-energy-back-grid/
    And if you can sell back to the grid, home batteries don't make so much sense. They will, once gas generation is hitting zero for meaningful periods of time. But that's a few years away. For now, generators burning more or less gas works fine as a balancing mechanism.

And by the time we get to that point, parked up electric cars and batteries recycled from old electric cars will likely be fairly abundant.

But for now, they're the expensive bit and not too essential to the operation.
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

You know there’s this thing called “hyperbole”? Exaggeration for humorous or rhetorical effect?

I don’t actually believe I am the first Briton ever to come here. Tho your Tripadvisor citation rather proves my point. In dfifteen years this marvellous little town has garnered all of 19 reviews (for the entire town) and seven Brits. In a decade and a half. And it looks like most just dawdled for half an hour, whereas I am staying for a weekend and I am already good friends with Juan the artisanal cutler and the guy who makes the aligot. And I just literally nodded hi to my mate who runs the cafe in La Cavalerie

Ok I will bite.

Whats the point?

Well..

And if you can sell back to the grid, home batteries don't make so much sense. They will, once gas generation is hitting zero for meaningful periods of time. But that's a few years away. For now, generators burning more or less gas works fine as a balancing mechanism.

And by the time we get to that point, parked up electric cars and batteries recycled from old electric cars will likely be fairly abundant.

But for now, they're the expensive bit and not too essential to the operation.
    The smarter move is probably an electric car with a bi-directional charger. Allows you to flog electricity to the grid when out, and time shift when in.

That's what I've been looking at.

Ok I will bite.

Whats the point?

4p a Kwh currently from my supplier.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/smart-export-guarantee
    That's from 2021.

I mean, you do realise what happened next?
    Limerick Leader - US Presidential hopeful Kamala Harris has Irish links but don't expect a visit

The likely Democratic candidate for the US Presidential race has ties to Ireland but may not be the type of connections she will want to embrace

It has emerged that Kamala Harris has Irish roots through her dad's family. His paternal grandmother was Christiana Brown who decended from Hamilton Brown, a "slave owner" in Jamaica who had come from Antrim.

There is a potential second Irish link through her father's maternal grandmother who was called Iris Finegan but experts have found this claim hard to prove due to poor records.

It seems our link to the possible future US president are tenuous at best and given the fact one of those links is through a slave owner, Kamala Harris is unlikely to be boarding Air Force One and heading to Ireland if elected - at least not for ancestral reasons. . . .

SSI - Personally speaking as an American of part-Irish descent, think the idea of Kamala Harris rejecting her own Irish heritage because at least one of her Hibernian ancestors was a Jamaican slave owner, is crap. ESPECIALLY from elector & political standpoint.

Instead, she should EMBRACE her roots - warts and all. While pointing out that millions of Americans, Black and White have family ties to slave owners. For example, Jimmy Carter and Al Gore. Also many other voters in swing states, particularly but hardly exclusively in Southern USA

News stories already published by Trump puppet/muppet media make it clear they see this as some kind of attack. Instead of ignoring it - shove it down their fucking throats!
    edited July 25
    Rachel Reeves is preparing to unveil a £19bn black hole in the public finances as she builds up to an autumn tax raid. The Chancellor is expected to blame pressures on the NHS, prisons and schools for the funding gap after asking Treasury officials to prepare an assessment of the “spending inheritance” left by the Tories.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/07/25/labour-to-unveil-19bn-black-hole-as-reeves-plots-tax-raid/

Only 19bn...i was presuming they would find 50 or a 100...gotta make it as big possible.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,490
    ydoethur said:

Ok I will bite.

Whats the point?

That article is seriously out of date (ten years). You can get 10 panels and a battery for £9,000

The cost of installation can depend on how many panels you need, whether you choose to have battery storage, and what size of battery you require. The cost of a panel-only installation by Octopus starts from £3,880 (for 2 panels). A 10 panel installation and a 5kWh battery (our most popular system) costs £9,199.

Try upping that return by a 30% reduction in costs and a 100% rise in electricity bills...
    You can't get those returns selling back to the grid now though
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,221

Ok I will bite.

Whats the point?

But I could do that by investing in a commercial solar farm or wind turbine farm without having a load of crap on the roof?
    I did the maths in detail a couple of years ago for our own house. It made huge sense. Same as installing double glazing or insulation. Unfortunately we’re in a conservation area so it’s a ballaché. We are waiting for Red Ed to steamroller that nimby nonsense and make it easier.

If ideologically you’re a bit queasy about solar because it’s woke and might hurt Vladimir, then it’s definitely worth investing in insulation.
    Pulpstar said:

For Misterbedfordshire

Could you give us a clue what point is being illustrated there?

Rachel Reeves is preparing to unveil a £19bn black hole in the public finances as she builds up to an autumn tax raid. The Chancellor is expected to blame pressures on the NHS, prisons and schools for the funding gap after asking Treasury officials to prepare an assessment of the “spending inheritance” left by the Tories.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/07/25/labour-to-unveil-19bn-black-hole-as-reeves-plots-tax-raid/

Only 19bn...i was presuming they would find 50 or a 100...gotta make it as big possible.

It's got to have some spurious precision for credibility, like a £51,398,239,321.49 black hole.
    Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Ok I will bite.

Whats the point?

You can, with the right supplier.

But even without that, the savings stack up.
    They’ve got a Tombola here, but it’s called “La Tombola”
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Let the man have his artistic licence. Anyway, it’s still not as nice as fellow plus-beau-village Oingt, and unlike Oingt it’s not pronounced “wanked”.
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Outrageous it should be obscure. I quoted Blackadder to someone the other day and they didn't pick up on it. Young people today, do they teach them anything useful?
    Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

You know there’s this thing called “hyperbole”? Exaggeration for humorous or rhetorical effect?
    So you're not really like Ghengis Khan?
    Omnium said:

I don't think that the Sunflowers daubs are in any way great, but I do think that they are great in the history of art. The full lock up and rot treatment then, but I think it illustrates that it's not the art that matters, but the history.

You mentioned Tracy Emin? An opportunity, surely, to use my image of the day to humblebrag about my wife’s upcoming entry in an exhibition in Margate:

Leon said:

They’ve got a Tombola here, but it’s called “La Tombola”

Shame it’s not, say, “la tamboule”. They should make more of an effort.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,571
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Outrageous it should be obscure. I quoted Blackadder to someone the other day and they didn't pick up on it. Young people today, do they teach them anything useful?
    My two junior members of staff had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned Blackadder. Showed them a picture and they both exclaimed "Oh! Mister Bean!".

How I wept.
  • CatMan said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

Such a myth that you can buy non standard sockets for equipment rooms so that the cleaner physically cannot plug into the clean IT supply.

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/134136-2-gang-13a-dp-switched-socket-non-standard-white?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8c_--ffChwMV9aNQBh3xiggZEAQYASABEgL95_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

edited July 25
    If you recall, yours truly several days ago mentioned the old American joke (of 19th & early 20th century) that there were once two brothers, one who went to sea and the other who was elected Vice President - neither were ever heard of again.

Since I posted that, seems more and more and more Republican voters and especially candidates, are wishing that J.D. Vance had decided to become a sailor . . . on a very sloooooow boat to China . . .
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,718
    Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Ok I will bite.

Whats the point?

The use of a battery is the real saving. You should never sell back to the grid. Any extra energy should be stored in a battery or the hot water tank or car. Not having to purchase at 25p per kWh more than makes up for not selling to the grid for 5p!!
    ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

My two junior members of staff had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned Blackadder. Showed them a picture and they both exclaimed "Oh! Mister Bean!".

How I wept.
    Why is that remembered but not Blackadder? Mr Bean was crap!

It was that damn Olympic opening ceremony wasn't it?
    TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Let the man have his artistic licence. Anyway, it’s still not as nice as fellow plus-beau-village Oingt, and unlike Oingt it’s not pronounced “wanked”.
    I’ve been to Oingt, and it is indeed Wanked

Any French village that gets named “a plus beau village” immediately becomes a grisly festival of French tweeness, a prettified Disney set with someone selling artisanal myrtle soaps and a girl doing French Celtic Tarot cards, and there’s a special car park the size of Cheshire for all the many many visitors

They have one here in south l’Aveyron, La Couvertoirade. It’s the only place I’ve seen tonnes of tourists and it’s hideous

Thankfully Eulalie has avoided that fate
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,410

CatMan said:

DavidL said:

viewcode said:

Such a myth that you can buy non standard sockets for equipment rooms so that the cleaner physically cannot plug into the clean IT supply.

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/134136-2-gang-13a-dp-switched-socket-non-standard-white?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8c_--ffChwMV9aNQBh3xiggZEAQYASABEgL95_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I once worked on a midframe/mainframe computer where the power switch had a plastic cover over it, because allegedly a cleaner had once powered one down accidentally with the handle of their mop.
This discussion has been closed.