Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

We need to talk about Trump’s age and faculties – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    edited July 22

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Bless.

Rachel Reeves is preparing to hand millions of public sector workers an above-inflation pay rise and attempt to blame the Conservatives for any tax rises needed to fund it

https://x.com/thetimes/status/1815281019026567442

So she'll accept the recommendations of the independent pay review bodies, rather than the previous approach of precipitating strikes by ignoring them.
    All she has to do now is fund it.

And then all the coming recommendations from review bodies. 35% pay rise anyone ?
    Early signs from Labour are dreadful

Fucking up the education system to please woke agendas

Handing out money we don’t have to the public sector

IMF bailout in 2028, Labour has set us on the path to it already.

How?

Spending money we don't have. We saw what happened when Liz Truss tried to do that.

You and I both know that markets are a lot more sophisticated than that. The issue is not borrowing it's having a credible plan to service the debt. That is what Truss lacked. With knobs on.

So did Gordon Brown.

But then, we know you are football-fan Labour.

And, of course, that is why I voted LibDem on 4th July and have not voted Labour since 2010 - and why I left the Labour party over anti-Semitism under Jeremy Corbyn. Alternatively, it is just possible that I believe what I say.

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383
    Cookie said:

Mr. Max, ha. Should've been an analyst (looking for writing work, if anyone is seeking a writer).

You'd need to understand how to use quotes
    Yes, it's a really irritating affectation by Morris. He often makes what might be a good response but I can't be arsed to trawl through to find out what he was responding to.

Suspect he may be a good writer that no one is reading.
    It's part of the charm of the site, Ben. We all have our affectations and his is a good deal less annoying than many.
    You make a very good point. Never change Morris!
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,170
    Leon said:

Stereodog said:

eek said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The Dems still have a significant Biden problem. He’s too senile to stand again, but he’s just fine and dandy to be leader of the free world until November?

Every gaffe he makes between now and then will remind voters that the Democrats were prepared, until the last moment, to foist a clearly-demented president on voters for a second term

He really needs to step down from the job, as well

Paradoxically, the thought of a doddery old has-been in the White House might harm Trump more than Kamala. (eta I agree Biden should step down.)
    I think this is gonna be a real issue for the Dems as the illogicality sinks in with voters. “OK we admit, he’s in grave cognitive decline, the debate showed the real Biden, he’s gaga. But he’s keeping the job and the nuclear codes til January 2025, he’ll be fine, stop worrying”

This is unsustainable. It’s THE attack line for the GOP and they will surely use it, relentlessly

“How can we trust anything you say when you kept an insane man in the White House, a man who is getting worse, daily, and by the way he’s STILL THERE”
    You can't see the difference between four more months, and four more years ?

Biden's current capacity is a legitimate question, but yours is hardly a slam dunk argument.
    It’s unarguable. Biden is not gonna be the Dem candidate because we all saw his dementia in the debate. Biden himself has now admitted it - unless he’s quitting for some OTHER reason he hasn’t specified?

Yet he’s absolutely ticketty boo to have the toughest most important job in the world til next
    year? Even tho he’s demented, and admits it?
    We all saw his AGE in the debate. Do you think there is no gradation in the very old between being exactly the same as they were 40 years ago and having dementia? My grandmother is about Biden's age and she occasionally repeats a story she told a few hours ago or forgets a name but she doesn't have dementia. I agree that he was too old to run but don't present your speculation as a fact.
    Biden thinks President Zelensky is President Putin. That’s why he has now admitted he’s not fit to stand again even tho a week ago he firmly told us he was absolutely fine, never better. How did he misjudge himself so badly? Is there something wrong with his brain, do you think?

Anyway even tho he’s not standing because he’s thinks President Zelensky is President Putin he’s still absolutely fine to be President of the United
    States but it’s all ok because Hunter the crack addict will run everything until next January
    Of course he doesn't think Zelenski is Putin. He mixed up the name and then corrected himself. I'm not saying he's not showing signs of aging but it's different from dementia.

When you reach his age you wouldn't be best pleased if your children carted you off to the nursing home just because you mix up names occasionally or ramble a bit when trying to tell a story. Let's face it you often fulfil the latter criteria already
    “It’s just my brain”
    There's two separate questions that you and many of the other right wing posters on here are deliberately conflating.

Firstly is it wise to have someone who is Biden's age (let alone in 4 years time) running the country? I think not because when you reach that age you begin to show signs of decline either physically or mentally to varying degrees. That's as true of Biden as it is Trump, McConnell or Feinstein.

Secondly does Biden have dementia which is an entirely separate thing. You don't know that and are only speculating but present it as a fact and arguing for a cover up based on that speculating.
    Just wrong. Nobody is overly fussed about your first point. On the second, I am speculating about whether Biden has dementia like I speculate about whether night follows day. He has dementia.
    And you are such a world expert that you can diagnose it from a few minutes of TV clips...
    Exactly! No one on this forum is remotely able to say for sure that he has dementia. He might do but it's just wrong to suggest it's a fact or that his acceptance that he doesn't have the ability to serve another term is a tacit admittance that he has dementia.
    How come he believed and told us he was absolutely fine one minute and never better (as many journalists agreed) and then the next day he was suddenly unfit to serve again? Did he go into a massive cognitive decline in 24 hours? Is that what happened????

He was quite definite about “being fine” so I can only presume he got Alzheimer’s during lunch
    The rumour is Biden standing down is not because he personally thinks he is gaga but is in response to private polling showing him being trounced by The Donald in swing states.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

eek said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The Dems still have a significant Biden problem. He’s too senile to stand again, but he’s just fine and dandy to be leader of the free world until November?

Every gaffe he makes between now and then will remind voters that the Democrats were prepared, until the last moment, to foist a clearly-demented president on voters for a second term

Paradoxically, the thought of a doddery old has-been in the White House might harm Trump more than Kamala. (eta I agree Biden should step down.)
    I think this is gonna be a real issue for the Dems as the illogicality sinks in with voters. “OK we admit, he’s in grave cognitive decline, the debate showed the real Biden, he’s gaga. But he’s keeping the job and the nuclear codes til January 2025, he’ll be fine, stop worrying”

This is unsustainable. It’s THE attack line for the GOP and they will surely use it, relentlessly

“How can we trust anything you say when you kept an insane man in the White House, a man who is getting worse, daily, and by the way he’s STILL THERE”

Biden's current capacity is a legitimate question, but yours is hardly a slam dunk argument.
    It’s unarguable. Biden is not gonna be the Dem candidate because we all saw his dementia in the debate. Biden himself has now admitted it - unless he’s quitting for some OTHER reason he hasn’t specified?

Yet he’s absolutely ticketty boo to have the toughest most important job in the world til next
    We all saw his AGE in the debate. Do you think there is no gradation in the very old between being exactly the same as they were 40 years ago and having dementia? My grandmother is about Biden's age and she occasionally repeats a story she told a few hours ago or forgets a name but she doesn't have dementia. I agree that he was too old to run but don't present your speculation as a fact.
    Biden thinks President Zelensky is President Putin. That’s why he has now admitted he’s not fit to stand again even tho a week ago he firmly told us he was absolutely fine, never better. How did he misjudge himself so badly? Is there something wrong with his brain, do you think?

Anyway even tho he’s not standing because he’s thinks President Zelensky is President Putin he’s still absolutely fine to be President of the United
    States but it’s all ok because Hunter the crack addict will run everything until next January
    Of course he doesn't think Zelenski is Putin. He mixed up the name and then corrected himself. I'm not saying he's not showing signs of aging but it's different from dementia.

When you reach his age you wouldn't be best pleased if your children carted you off to the nursing home just because you mix up names occasionally or ramble a bit when trying to tell a story. Let's face it you often fulfil the latter criteria already
    “It’s just my brain”
    There's two separate questions that you and many of the other right wing posters on here are deliberately conflating.

Firstly is it wise to have someone who is Biden's age (let alone in 4 years time) running the country? I think not because when you reach that age you begin to show signs of decline either physically or mentally to varying degrees. That's as true of Biden as it is Trump, McConnell or Feinstein.

Secondly does Biden have dementia which is an entirely separate thing. You don't know that and are only speculating but present it as a fact and arguing for a cover up based on that speculating.
    Just wrong. Nobody is overly fussed about your first point. On the second, I am speculating about whether Biden has dementia like I speculate about whether night follows day. He has dementia.
    And you are such a world expert that you can diagnose it from a few minutes of TV clips...
    Exactly! No one on this forum is remotely able to say for sure that he has dementia. He might do but it's just wrong to suggest it's a fact or that his acceptance that he doesn't have the ability to serve another term is a tacit admittance that he has dementia.
    How come he believed and told us he was absolutely fine one minute and never better (as many journalists agreed) and then the next day he was suddenly unfit to serve again? Did he go into a massive cognitive decline in 24 hours? Is that what happened????

He was quite definite about “being fine” so I can only presume he got Alzheimer’s during lunch
    I love the way, amongst all your other 'skills', you can now diagnose 100% accurately conditions such as Alzheimer's without any contact from the patient. I'm sure the NHS would love you to train up doctors. :)

Biden said nothing about standing down because of illness. It might just be that he has realised that there was little chance of politically coming back from the position he was in, and it was best for the party and country to let someone else take on Trump.
    This is beyond ridiculous. You are like a smoker who is told he will get lung cancer and who gets lung cancer and now you are saying nothing to do with fags, it's definitely radon to blame.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,610

stodge said:

A perennial favourite on PB - the story that just doesn't quite add up or ring true, or could be changed by making a few different choices.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c7209lk8x2wo

"Software engineer Emma Harris earns £50,000 a year and said the cost of renting and bills takes up about two-thirds of her salary. "I am not likely to ever own a house and it’s just depressing," she said."

We are not told what she is renting now. Is it a flat? Two bedroom house? Could she rent somewhere smaller?

I don't know why you don't believe it unless you choose not to or you think it's been put up to push some kind of political agenda.

£50,000 doesn't mean she has that amount as income so once she's paid tax, NI and perhaps contributed to a pension that will be reduced. As for renting, perhaps you'd prefer if she lived in a box by the side of the road and I confess I don't know renting prices in Birmingham but let's say £750 pm so that's £9k gone plus her other costs.

I can believe it.
    3,230 after tax per month, the PAYE calculators say.... (no pension)

so 2/3rds would be 2,150 a moth on housing and bills.

If she is a renting house in Birmingham, that would be north of 1,250 for something non-shitty.
    Student loan repayments must be a factor.
    The BBC loves a fact check on things it doesn't like - I'd like to see a fact check on this story.
    Why? Suppose Emma is secretly loaded. What about Jemima? It's like the War of Jennifer's Ear in that the specific case does not really matter. It is whether it resonates with those in similar situations. Tbh I'm more exercised by her earning at the start of her career what I was getting at the end of mine.
    I'm not suggesting she is secretly loaded. I suspect she has chosen to live in a nice house etc and could make a choice to live in a slightly less nice one to save some money for a deposit.
    Could well be. Or maybe she borrowed lots as a student and has large repayments. The point is that it does not really matter. The question is whether there are lots of young people with good jobs who cannot afford to buy a home, or whether Emma is an outlier.
    Repayments are a percentage of income when you pay is above £2x,000 (can't remember the exact figure)..

But the amount you borrow won't impact the amount you repay or the time it takes to repay because most people are never going to be in a position to pay the loan off in full.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,493
    edited July 22
    Leftists don't like Harris because she was tough on crime when district attorney of San Fransisco between 2004 and 2011. If anything that ought to make her more popular with centrist and centre-right voters.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,572

Leon said:

Bless.

Rachel Reeves is preparing to hand millions of public sector workers an above-inflation pay rise and attempt to blame the Conservatives for any tax rises needed to fund it

So she'll accept the recommendations of the independent pay review bodies, rather than the previous approach of precipitating strikes by ignoring them.

And then all the coming recommendations from review bodies. 35% pay rise anyone ?

Labour will ruin a wonderful legacy in Education.

One thing the Tories got right, even if teachers pay was a bit tight and more capex could have gone into the buildings.
    If the Conservatives' state education legacy is so marvellous why are you bellyaching about the affordability of private education? I sent mine to a Comp. Not because I couldn't afford the private sector but because I believe in supporting top quality state education. Everyone should be entitled to a top drawer schooling provided by the state if they so wish. Both my children graduated from University, one with a Masters degree after a secondary education under a much derided Labour administration here in Wales.

Oh no! Not another bloody flag!
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,639
    The right and far-right rattled. Good.
    Leon said:

Apropos of nothing but I have used what3words four or five times on this French trip and it has been very useful

Just sayin’

How has l'Académie française allowed quels3mots to get away with the use of English (pah!) words for French locations?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,664
    edited July 22
    edited July 22

eek said:

Leon said:

Bless.

Labour will ruin a wonderful legacy in Education.

One thing the Tories got right, even if teachers pay was a bit tight and more capex could have gone into the buildings.
    What wonderful legacy?

Given that you have decided that the state education system wasn't good enough for your children you can hardly say that the current system is any good when you are desperately trying to not have to use it.
    He's probably talking about the legacy private school system.
    He can't be if he referencing Capex and teacher's pay. As in private schools teachers' pay is a local matter and the amount a lot of private schools have invested in buildings is insane - Yarm School's hall is better than the recently refurbished Stockton Globe for events...
    edited July 22

MaxPB said:

EPG said:

MaxPB said:

There needs to be a reckoning for the mainstream leftist media in the US who have helped cover up Biden's rate of decline over the last few years. It's been an open secret that his mental faculties have been declining but the white house staffers pressured a pliant media to not report the truth "for the greater good".

The owners of these companies need to clean house and get rid of all of those journalists who helped the white house cover this up. All of those selectively reported events, copy pasted denials and complete lies they reported for the past two years has denied the American people a proper say on who should face Trump this year and it's likely going to result in a Trump victory.

A journalist's responsibility should be to the facts, not some sense of "greater good". As soon as that moral compass is distorted this is the inevitable result.

You're rattled because today this doesn't matter any more. Fine. But the evidence was out there for years. People on here were talking about it. Trump was running on it. So the cover up was simply that part of a free press took an editorial line you don't like.
    Of course it matters because this stupidity and cover up has made Trump the favourite to win in November and against Harris I think he could get a landslide victory with Harris only picking up three or four coastal states.

It's not an "editorial line" it was a pack of lies to do their friends in the white house a favour. An editorial line would have been to admit that Biden was struggling with his mental agility but say it's still better than the alternative, not to simply deny the obvious truth of it and push the white house agenda that he's all good and the doctors all say he's great etc... it's just lies.
    I am bemused by your inability to spot that EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED after yesterday.

No one is gonna give a shit what went before, Harris v. Trump is all that matters now. Harris will win comfortably in November.

Your first sentence in the second para is spot on. Your second one is not!

rkrkrk said:

How have people's books been faring?

I've taken a hammering on Biden pulling out. If it's Harris, and she wins in November I'll come out ahead. But if its Harris and she loses ill be down about £500. And if its Michelle... eek.

For those who have been heavily betting against Michelle you can partially reduce exposure by laying her for VP pick also.

Done very nicely after following RCS tip to back kh a couple of weeks ago
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,125

Cookie said:

Mr. Max, ha. Should've been an analyst (looking for writing work, if anyone is seeking a writer).

You'd need to understand how to use quotes
    Yes, it's a really irritating affectation by Morris. He often makes what might be a good response but I can't be arsed to trawl through to find out what he was responding to.

Suspect he may be a good writer that no one is reading.
    It's part of the charm of the site, Ben. We all have our affectations and his is a good deal less annoying than many.
    You make a very good point. Never change Morris!
    Also in Morris's defence: he's been here longer than the quote function: back in the noughties we replied to each other by referencing the number of the comment. But then someone would delete their comment and everything would get out of synch. Morris actually pioneered a method which made sense, but by then the alternative, less good method was already baked in. Like Betamax and VHS.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,685

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Bless.

Labour’s approach to the education system seems to be “make the state system so bad everyone has to go private” but “make the private sector so expensive no one can afford it”

Yep, making it easier to recruit and retain teaching staff is an absolute disaster!

Pay won't sort that out as long as the train crash in teacher training which has reduced the number of places available and compromised the whole process by means of a misguided criteria remains unaddressed.

So far, there is no sign Bridget Phillipson has realised there is a problem, let alone that it's urgent and will become a major crisis eight months from now.

MaxPB said:

EPG said:

MaxPB said:

There needs to be a reckoning for the mainstream leftist media in the US who have helped cover up Biden's rate of decline over the last few years. It's been an open secret that his mental faculties have been declining but the white house staffers pressured a pliant media to not report the truth "for the greater good".

The owners of these companies need to clean house and get rid of all of those journalists who helped the white house cover this up. All of those selectively reported events, copy pasted denials and complete lies they reported for the past two years has denied the American people a proper say on who should face Trump this year and it's likely going to result in a Trump victory.

A journalist's responsibility should be to the facts, not some sense of "greater good". As soon as that moral compass is distorted this is the inevitable result.

You're rattled because today this doesn't matter any more. Fine. But the evidence was out there for years. People on here were talking about it. Trump was running on it. So the cover up was simply that part of a free press took an editorial line you don't like.
    Of course it matters because this stupidity and cover up has made Trump the favourite to win in November and against Harris I think he could get a landslide victory with Harris only picking up three or four coastal states.

It's not an "editorial line" it was a pack of lies to do their friends in the white house a favour. An editorial line would have been to admit that Biden was struggling with his mental agility but say it's still better than the alternative, not to simply deny the obvious truth of it and push the white house agenda that he's all good and the doctors all say he's great etc... it's just lies.
    I am bemused by your inability to spot that EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED after yesterday.

No one is gonna give a shit what went before, Harris v. Trump is all that matters now. Harris will win comfortably in November.

Your first sentence is spot on. Your second one is not!

What about my third?
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,144
    The fed vs the felon
    The prosecutor vs the rapist
    The law vs the criminal
    Dredd vs Dread
    Order vs Chaos

• DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,170

rkrkrk said:

I've taken a hammering on Biden pulling out. If it's Harris, and she wins in November I'll come out ahead. But if its Harris and she loses ill be down about £500. And if its Michelle... eek.

For those who have been heavily betting against Michelle you can partially reduce exposure by laying her for VP pick also.

I'm very happy with my book. I bet last year on various Biden replacements including Harris, not really expecting him to pull out but aware of the age issue and the bets looked like value given his age etc.

Good times!!!
    I took my profits from backing Kamala at double-figure prices and got out of the market over the weekend as the situation became more and more chaotic. I'm staying out for the moment as beyond Harris, and especially for the VP slot, there are too many unknowns.

Much the same as the Tory leadership. The picture needs to settle and it can't do that (on either side of the Atlantic) until they've at least agreed a mechanism.
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Bless.

Labour’s approach to the education system seems to be “make the state system so bad everyone has to go private” but “make the private sector so expensive no one can afford it”

Yep, making it easier to recruit and retain teaching staff is an absolute disaster!

Pay won't sort that out as long as the train crash in teacher training which has reduced the number of places available and compromised the whole process by means of a misguided criteria remains unaddressed.

So far, there is no sign Bridget Phillipson has realised there is a problem, let alone that it's urgent and will become a major crisis eight months from now.
    Depends where you are - in Scotland there seems to be an opposite problem where the need to provide spaces for NQTs means those who finish their NQT year have no job to go to as the spaces are needed for this year's NQT intake.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,565
    Mr. Cookie, thanks for your kind words.

"Morris actually pioneered a method which made sense..." yes, in the Long Ago times, when politics was boring and the leaders were all the same, and a pandemic and financial crisis were in the distant past.
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Bless.

Depends where you are - in Scotland there seems to be an opposite problem where the need to provide spaces for NQTs means those who finish their NQT year have no job to go to as the spaces are needed for this year's NQT intake.
    Scotland is separate from England, as I am frequently reminded when I muddle up British education and the English education system.

Serious question - do they have their own pay processes and reviews, or do they have to follow England?

What's really impressive about Scotland is they have the ability to do things differently yet in terms of car crash policies on training, exams and curriculum seem to slavishly follow England.

MaxPB said:

EPG said:

MaxPB said:

Your first sentence is spot on. Your second one is not!

What about my third?

Edited!!

Enjoying all the Tory wish-casting of impending Labour doom on here atm, IMF bail-out by 2028 etc.

Keep it up chaps - it's all you've got.

Leon said:

Apropos of nothing but I have used what3words four or five times on this French trip and it has been very useful

Just sayin’

How has l'Académie française allowed quels3mots to get away with the use of English (pah!) words for French locations?
    There's all sorts of language options. I am at ///surmontable.empruntassiez.flanquons (which is entirely uncorrelated with the English version btw).
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    I reckon there's a fair bit of rewriting of history on Biden. Back in 2020, many of us who backed him were concerned that he was well past his best, but we had to run with him because he was the best (only?) chance of beating Trump. Covid helped him a lot: it gave the Dems a good reason to limit his exposure during the heat of the 2020 campaign.

Roll on four years to 2024, and our fears have come to pass: of course he has declined further, and would only continue to do so up to 2028. The precise diagnosis doesn't matter at all. And if there was some Washington conspiracy to hide his decline from us all, they made a pretty poor job of it, didn't they? So, it's great that he's now seen sense and passed on the baton.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,942

Enjoying all the Tory wish-casting of impending Labour doom on here atm, IMF bail-out by 2028 etc.

Interesting times. If Labour open the taps on public sector pay, where does the money come from? And yet it needs to be done, otherwise recruitment and retention will just get worse. I do worry a little about pensions - Brown famously raided pensions, will Reeves do something similar?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,384
    rkrkrk said:

I've been rather rescued by this. My book is built around laying Trump but I am much greener on Harris than I was on Biden (having backed her at long prices to cover this eventuality).

Also I'd laid the Trump/Biden nominee forecast and this has now won - bit lucky here, tbh, because although my hunch that it wouldn't be a rematch of 2020 proved correct it was more Trump I was expecting to not make it than Biden.

Anyway, bottom line, my MTM has gone from big negative to almost flat, the potential Trump loss balanced by a similar magnitude Harris profit.
  • Yeah but you could quite easily just not do it now. It makes your posts utterly impossible to comprehend and follow, especially when a new thread starts.

I can only assume you do it as a form of attention seeking or trolling. I don’t ignore your posts because they’re rubbish, I ignore them because they don’t make sense!
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,053

Leon said:

Just sayin’

There's all sorts of language options. I am at ///surmontable.empruntassiez.flanquons (which is entirely uncorrelated with the English version btw).
    It would have taken what3words about, what, 3 seconds to realise that trying to translate the words into another language would be unworkable.

If there happens to be a place called ///ligament.group.tape this could be "translated" into German as ///band.band.band
    F1: McLaren and Red Bull now tied at 1.91 each for the title.

If you backed McLaren at 4, you might want to hedge.

Betfair has Red Bull at 2.02, McLaren 1.94.

Gap is currently 51 points with 11 races to go. An average McLaren advantage of 5 points per race is sufficient. Also, Perez is likely to be thrown overboard after Spa (next race) but this might not make a difference. The Red Bull looks either 2nd or 3rd fastest car right now.

As long as McLaren don't strategise their way to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, they should take it. Verstappen still favourite for the drivers', though.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,588

rkrkrk said:

I'm very happy with my book. I bet last year on various Biden replacements including Harris, not really expecting him to pull out but aware of the age issue and the bets looked like value given his age etc.

Good times!!!
    I took my profits from backing Kamala at double-figure prices and got out of the market over the weekend as the situation became more and more chaotic. I'm staying out for the moment as beyond Harris, and especially for the VP slot, there are too many unknowns.

Much the same as the Tory leadership. The picture needs to settle and it can't do that (on either side of the Atlantic) until they've at least agreed a mechanism.
    I would say it's more than 50% likely that Kamala is the nominee.

The other possible candidates will be thinking that (a) Who wants to be the person who turned the nomination into a damaging battle. since (b) a loss to Trump is quite likely.

In the event that someone other than Kamala got the nomination through a floor fight at the convention, then lost, they would be blamed and their careers in politics finished.

Waiting till next time must seem quite attractive.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,005
    Flashback 2012: The Obama campaign wasn't ready to endorse marriage equality.

But when asked about it, Joe Biden broke with the campaign's messaging and endorsed it.

An avalanche of Democrats, including President Obama, soon followed him.

https://x.com/ashtonpittman/status/1815132808790020228

I still think had he run rather than Hillary, he would have won.
    One of the great might have beens.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,490
    edited July 22
    rkrkrk said:

Presidential & nominee book has a fair value overall of ~+£300 (Including the crystallised £200 loss on GOP nominee, £500 if you exclude that). It'd have been worth four figures if Biden had stayed in, but you can't win them all. It's currently tilted quite heavily toward Harris.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    Mr. Horse, to whom are you addressing your remarks? It isn't clear.
    Best comment on the billionaire endorsements of Trump.

what a classic VC move to buy Trump at the peak
    https://x.com/jordanschnyc/status/1815178833575690457
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,665

I reckon there's a fair bit of rewriting of history on Biden. Back in 2020, many of us who backed him were concerned that he was well past his best, but we had to run with him because he was the best (only?) chance of beating Trump. Covid helped him a lot: it gave the Dems a good reason to limit his exposure during the heat of the 2020 campaign.

Roll on four years to 2024, and our fears have come to pass: of course he has declined further, and would only continue to do so up to 2028. The precise diagnosis doesn't matter at all. And if there was some Washington conspiracy to hide his decline from us all, they made a pretty poor job of it, didn't they? So, it's great that he's now seen sense and passed on the baton.

And whether by design, instinct or accident, he's picked a good moment to do so. Late enough that only a loon wouldn't go along with his inevitable replacement by Harris.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,801

I don't think it is wish-casting. The circumstances are difficult. Labour face many big challenges. Trump being re-elected would be a full blown defence crisis almost immediately. That is perhaps a little less likely today. But I expect this Parliament to be as difficult as the one that has just ended. Labour will do well to hang on after that. This is not 1997 all over again.
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 582
    Leon said:

Stereodog said:

eek said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

“It’s just my brain”

You can be fine to do a job for the moment but reluctantly decide that you don't think you can do it for another term. I was a Town Councillor for a few years but towards the end of my term I got married and started a new job so decided that I wouldn't have the time to do the role properly if I stood for re-election. It didn't mean that I'd been lying before then or that I was incapable of serving out my term.

You often give the impression that reality is too boring for you so you need to enliven it by making up a crisis or a conspiracy. That's fine but please don't present it as a fact.

You are the English fitba team conducting the open top bus victory tour. Let's see what happens shall we? On the Blair timeline it's about 2030 that sks turns out to be a murderous liar. You don't mind that because he was a *labour* murderous liar, others do.
    Betting Post

F1: Piastri is 7.5, 8 with boost, each way to win in Belgium. It was one of his strongest tracks last year (first lap DNF in the race proper, I think he won the sprint).

Too long, I think.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,593

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

eek said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

“It’s just my brain”

I love the way, amongst all your other 'skills', you can now diagnose 100% accurately conditions such as Alzheimer's without any contact from the patient. I'm sure the NHS would love you to train up doctors. :)

Biden said nothing about standing down because of illness. It might just be that he has realised that there was little chance of politically coming back from the position he was in, and it was best for the party and country to let someone else take on Trump.
    This is beyond ridiculous. You are like a smoker who is told he will get lung cancer and who gets lung cancer and now you are saying nothing to do with fags, it's definitely radon to blame.
    It really is not.

What we have here is non-medically trained people looking at an elderly man's baheviour and diagnosing Alzheimer's. To use your analogy: you have someone who has smoked a few cigarettes a year during adulthood, who is now ill. You may think "Aha! Lung cancer!" and you might be correct. But it might also be (for example) pneumonia.

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

eek said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

“It’s just my brain”

It really is not.

What we have here is non-medically trained people looking at an elderly man's baheviour and diagnosing Alzheimer's. To use your analogy: you have someone who has smoked a few cigarettes a year during adulthood, who is now ill. You may think "Aha! Lung cancer!" and you might be correct. But it might also be (for example) pneumonia.
    Not Alzheimer's, just dementia. Again, can you not tell when someone is drunk?
  • If Biden has Alzheimer's - possible - then Trump certainly does.
    glw said:

I don't think it is wish-casting. The circumstances are difficult. Labour face many big challenges. Trump being re-elected would be a full blown defence crisis almost immediately. That is perhaps a little less likely today. But I expect this Parliament to be as difficult as the one that has just ended. Labour will do well to hang on after that. This is not 1997 all over again.
    No one is expecting it to be 1997 all over again, though.
    Miracles aren't expected. If Labour do a half way competent job, that's probably going to be good enough for a lot of people.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,258
    edited July 22
    Nigelb said:

glw said:

No one is expecting it to be 1997 all over again, though.
    Miracles aren't expected. If Labour do a half way competent job, that's probably going to be good enough for a lot of people.
    I do love your sense of humour

Betting Post

F1: Piastri is 7.5, 8 with boost, each way to win in Belgium. It was one of his strongest tracks last year (first lap DNF in the race proper, I think he won the sprint).

Too long, I think.

On a likely cooler track, Mercedes might again be in the mix, though.
    I think it's getting tough to forecast even the top three in contention, this far ahead of a GP.

I'm not suggesting she is secretly loaded. I suspect she has chosen to live in a nice house etc and could make a choice to live in a slightly less nice one to save some money for a deposit.

In shocking news, what everyone thought you thought, is exactly what you think. With posts like these, it is not surprising the problem has gone unresolved for so long. "Doesn't exist."
    Many moons ago a friend was doing a PhD in my lab. Every day he withdrew 10 quid, and over the course of the day spent it (mainly food for lunch etc). As he was struggling financially his back called him for a chat and discussed this - could he take the time to make sandwiches and save a bit each week? He did.

Now of course its absurd to suggest that everyone who cannot afford to save for a deposit or get a mortgage just needs to make sandwiches, and I don't believe that. House prices are vastly higher compared to wages than they were 40 years ago. But it is also the case that most of us make choices about what we do and in this headline case, something smelled off to me. But not to everyone.

Starmer will today vow to “turn the page” on Britain’s reliance on foreign workers.

PM will declare he is “not content just to pull the easy lever on importing skills”.

“All too often young people in our country have been let down — not given access to the right opportunities or training in their community.

“That’s created an over-reliance in our economy on higher and higher levels of migration.”

Sir Keir will say training “home-grown talent” is vital to ­controlling legal migration after a push last week on tackling illegal migration.

https://x.com/MrHarryCole/status/1815256755435196914

Let's see.

British jobs for British workers (version XXIII)
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,125

"Morris actually pioneered a method which made sense..." yes, in the Long Ago times, when politics was boring and the leaders were all the same, and a pandemic and financial crisis were in the distant past.

I often wish politics was more boring. I remember in the early teenies the giddy abandon with which I'd wait until 10.30 before switching off so I could see what had happened in the Daily Yougov. (Answer: a MOE shift of no statistical significance).

If Biden has Alzheimer's - possible - then Trump certainly does.

Playground stuff. If our man smells of wee your man smells of double wee. Anyone who wants to keep trump out should be ecstatic about Biden going, and why he went is now academic. I hope trump is demented but don't see the evidence.

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

eek said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

“It’s just my brain”

It really is not.

Drunkenness is an interesting one, as if you see someone behaving drunk, it is easy to say: "Ah, they're drunk!"

Sadly, there are many conditions that resemble drunkenness. In some case, diabetes, epilepsy or strokes can all cause some of the symptoms. This mistake has led to tragedies in the past.

Now, if you someone appearing drunk who is staggering out of a pub at one in the morning stinking of whisky, then there are extra symptoms that aid diagnosis. But if you come across someone who has just crashed a car and appears drunk, it is perfectly feasible that the appearance was caused by injuries in the crash itself, or by (say) a stroke.

This exact thing happened to an acquaintance's father a few years ago. Fortunately one of the first people on the scene of his crash was a medic, who made an accurate diagnosis that was *not* drunkenness.
  • Enjoying all the Tory wish-casting of impending Labour doom on here atm, IMF bail-out by 2028 etc.

2028. They will be lucky to make it to 2026 before that happens. Even if they do a half decent job.

The cost of the technocracy and working age benefits can no longer be financialised by stealing the savings of the low paid workers of the far east.

• BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,540

Bless.

The bond markets will Trussify her if such cakeism continues.
    Good morning

Sky are reporting Reeves is expected to move to abolish the 2 child benefit cap due to pressure from her left

Sky showed a you gov poll yesterday that by 60%/28% the public support the cap

Fiscal responsibility for Labour seems to be an optional choice depending on their politics

I would expect the result of these inflationary moves will see interest rates remain high for much longer

The cost of not paying salaries that enable you to recruit and retain teachers, nurses and others is far, far higher than the cost of doing so. The same applies to the two child policy. Short-termism guided by opinion polls has cost this country dear. It's about time it was consigned to the rubbish bin.

Then you have the choice of higher taxes and interest rates
    Yes, the previous government left a disastrous legacy.

Including 4p off NI rates that wasn't funded, isn't affordable and didn't even manage to buy many votes.
    That's a great legacy not a disastrous one, NI should be abolished.

Don't care if it didn't get any votes (and it didn't get mine either), it was the right thing to do.

If income tax needs to go up to balance NI going down, then that's OK, but taxing only those who work for their income is what is disastrous.

Playground stuff. If our man smells of wee your man smells of double wee. Anyone who wants to keep trump out should be ecstatic about Biden going, and why he went is now academic. I hope trump is demented but don't see the evidence.
    Trump forgot which town he was in mid-speech!
  • The election debates in the run up to November we have been denied.

https://youtu.be/9UMedd03JCA?feature=shared
    edited July 22

In shocking news, what everyone thought you thought, is exactly what you think. With posts like these, it is not surprising the problem has gone unresolved for so long. "Doesn't exist."
    Many moons ago a friend was doing a PhD in my lab. Every day he withdrew 10 quid, and over the course of the day spent it (mainly food for lunch etc). As he was struggling financially his back called him for a chat and discussed this - could he take the time to make sandwiches and save a bit each week? He did.

Now of course its absurd to suggest that everyone who cannot afford to save for a deposit or get a mortgage just needs to make sandwiches, and I don't believe that. House prices are vastly higher compared to wages than they were 40 years ago. But it is also the case that most of us make choices about what we do and in this headline case, something smelled off to me. But not to everyone.
    Yes - make your own lunch vs buying from Pret every day is saving a thousand a year. Or more.

Looking at the BBC story - you have a lady who probably has student loans. A house in a vaguely decent area of Birmingham will set her back north of 1,250 for rent.

As to why she wants a house - nesting is a word. We were discussing the effect of housing on the population just yesterday.

If I was doing the sort of campaign trips these guys do, I might forget where I was...
  • Bless.

The bond markets will Trussify her if such cakeism continues.
    Good morning

Sky are reporting Reeves is expected to move to abolish the 2 child benefit cap due to pressure from her left

Sky showed a you gov poll yesterday that by 60%/28% the public support the cap

Fiscal responsibility for Labour seems to be an optional choice depending on their politics

I would expect the result of these inflationary moves will see interest rates remain high for much longer

The cost of not paying salaries that enable you to recruit and retain teachers, nurses and others is far, far higher than the cost of doing so. The same applies to the two child policy. Short-termism guided by opinion polls has cost this country dear. It's about time it was consigned to the rubbish bin.

Then you have the choice of higher taxes and interest rates
    Yes, the previous government left a disastrous legacy.

Including 4p off NI rates that wasn't funded, isn't affordable and didn't even manage to buy many votes.
    That's a great legacy not a disastrous one, NI should be abolished.

Don't care if it didn't get any votes (and it didn't get mine either), it was the right thing to do.

If income tax needs to go up to balance NI going down, then that's OK, but taxing only those who work for their income is what is disastrous.
    A lot of people think Northern Ireland should be abolished.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,507
    edited July 22
    In an exchange with Hussain on Sunday afternoon about whether Mark Wood had been unlucky, Broad explained the England team today track the amount of “expected wickets” based on quality of deliveries bowled because pure match figures don’t tell the story, and that the advantage of this was that morale does not sink so much after a luckless display, or make a player question if he was doing the right things.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2024/07/22/stuart-broad-is-an-inspired-signing-at-sky-sports/

Eoin Morgan, Stuart Broad, Kumar Sangakkara.

Can we upgrade the football to match this please....
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,430

Sadly, there are many conditions that resemble drunkenness. In some case, diabetes, epilepsy or strokes can all cause some of the symptoms. This mistake has led to tragedies in the past.

I was standing on the platform at Longbenton Metro station years ago when a man appeared staggering towards me.

I thought he was drunk.

He was having an epileptic fit and fell onto the tracks shortly after

Luckily some folks were able to retrieve and him and we alerted the train operators while they called an ambulance

Yes - make your own lunch vs buying from Pret every day is saving a thousand a year. Or more.

Looking at the BBC story - you have a lady who probably has student loans. A house in a vaguely decent area of Birmingham will set her back north of 1,250 for rent.

As to why she wants a house - nesting is a word. We were discussing the effect of housing on the population just yesterday.
    Which is fine, but she probably needs to decide what she wants more - a nest now, or owning a nest in the future.

I've been bloody lucky with my housing, but also make choices about what I spend on. I'm very lucky and know it. But the headline was not backed up by the story (at least in her case).
  • This exact thing happened to an acquaintance's father a few years ago. Fortunately one of the first people on the scene of his crash was a medic, who made an accurate diagnosis that was *not* drunkenness.

There was a case on House MD like this - I think based on a real-life one - where a woman was thought to be drunk and was pulled over but it turned out it was a symptom caused by lung cancer.

In an exchange with Hussain on Sunday afternoon about whether Mark Wood had been unlucky, Broad explained the England team today track the amount of “expected wickets” based on quality of deliveries bowled because pure match figures don’t tell the story, and that the advantage of this was that morale does not sink so much after a luckless display, or make a player question if he was doing the right things.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2024/07/22/stuart-broad-is-an-inspired-signing-at-sky-sports/

I think all sports broadcasters need to accept that the game moves on so an ex pro 20 years out the game is probably very out of touch with modern ways of doing things.

If I was doing the sort of campaign trips these guys do, I might forget where I was...
    And the surname of his VP.
  • I'm not suggesting she is secretly loaded. I suspect she has chosen to live in a nice house etc and could make a choice to live in a slightly less nice one to save some money for a deposit.

Which is fine, but she probably needs to decide what she wants more - a nest now, or owning a nest in the future.

I've been bloody lucky with my housing, but also make choices about what I spend on. I'm very lucky and know it. But the headline was not backed up by the story (at least in her case).
    This is such nonsense, it's actually kind of insulting. Young people are not struggling to afford housing because they get Pret too much. Most young people don't even go to Pret.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,475
    Nigelb said:

Betting Post

Too long, I think.

On a likely cooler track, Mercedes might again be in the mix, though.
    I think it's getting tough to forecast even the top three in contention, this far ahead of a GP.
    Which is quite remarkable given how the first few races played out, totally dominated by one team.

I think I just fixed the last known broken computer in the office. Home and bed beckons.

The Democrat's Employee of the Year award should go to whatever staffer came up with the idea of having a ludicrously early debate, then managed to sucker Trump into agreeing with it. On the normal calendar they'd have had to deal with this stuff in October, it would have been a total catastrophe.
    That thought struck me too.

PS: It'll be interesting to see how Trump goes about dodging a debate with Harris.
    Trumpflation concerns grip Korea
    https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/biz/2024/07/488_379102.html
    Korea's highly open financial market and economy could experience heightened volatility, amplified by the potential reclaimed victory of former U.S. President Donald Trump in the November election, market watchers said Monday.

Central to the concern is "Trumpflation," a portmanteau of Trump and inflation. It refers to the increase in the prices of goods and services sparked by the fiscally conservative, protectionist policies long embraced by the former U.S. leader.

His three key drives, tax cuts without emphasis on austerity needs, higher tariffs and stricter immigration curbs, will sustain elevated inflation. A "higher-for-longer" approach by the U.S. Federal Reserve is likely to stall monetary easing of Bank of Korea (BOK). Stricter immigration policies will decrease the availability of low-cost labor, exacerbating price pressures through higher wages for employers. ..

I think the evidence that Biden is demented is just as significant with Trump.

You can watch Trump's same decline between 2016 and now.

You say you hope Trump is demented but could you possibly be a bit blind as you seem to vaguely support what he has to say?

This is such nonsense, it's actually kind of insulting. Young people are not struggling to afford housing because they get Pret too much. Most young people don't even go to Pret.
    And I am not saying that. I consistently suggest that the article headline is not backed up by facts about her circumstances. You are projecting what you think I am saying.

Starmer will today vow to “turn the page” on Britain’s reliance on foreign workers.

PM will declare he is “not content just to pull the easy lever on importing skills”.

“All too often young people in our country have been let down — not given access to the right opportunities or training in their community.

“That’s created an over-reliance in our economy on higher and higher levels of migration.”

Sir Keir will say training “home-grown talent” is vital to ­controlling legal migration after a push last week on tackling illegal migration.

Let's see.

The problem is that, like many good policies, it will cost lots of money up front. And deliver results, noticeably, about 10 years from now. So terrible politics.

The mentality against increasing training is often hilarious. I recall at the beginning of Boris's term in government, the pledge to increase police numbers. Impossible, was the cry. One obstacle was that *there weren't enough* lockers at Hendon.

I mean, OK, classrooms might be an issue - order in some temporary units, as used on building sites. Shipping containers that lego together. Not ideal, but they work, while you build new classrooms.

Mentoring places in the police force, OK. That might be a bottleneck....

But lockers?

Hank Scorpio : Lockers!.... there's four places. There's the Locker Hut, that's on third....There's Lockers-R-Us, that's on third too. You got Put-Your-Stuff-There.... That's on third. Swing Low, Sweet Lockers... Matter of fact, they're all in the same complex; it's the Lockers District on third.
  • bobbobbobbob Posts: 99
    edited July 22
    MaxPB said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Bless.

How?

Spending money we don't have. We saw what happened when Liz Truss tried to do that.
    It shows how much damage the lack of random cuts in Osbourne's first few years hurt us.

Given the reports over the weekend that autism can be treated I do wonder how much of the current SEN bill can be pinned on the destruction of surestart which did give a lot of children a better start in live..

If you read the report you will see the cure is almost entirely made up of dietary changes. I'm not sure what sure start would have done to remove gluten, dairy, UPFs etc... from children's diets for a period of 2 years plus.

That autism is seemingly cured by this kind of dietary change implies that our current unhealthy diets are a huge factor in why there's been such a huge increase in autism among kids. I'm also not sure what sure start would have done to improve diets among pregnant women.
    Ok so I read up on this “autism cure” as it didn’t sound right just like any claimed cure for a major illness

It’s not something anyone shoiuld take it at face value

It’s a case study based on two twins getting everything thrown at them (“comprehensive approach”) and apparently getting better

Not a proper trial

Maybe it was the “bio-individualized homeopathic remedies” and “naturopathic doctor” or “cranial osteopath” that did it lol

If it was a diet thing we would have figured it out a long time ago if only cos lots of crazies are obsessed with supplements and fad diets

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/20/severe-autism-can-be-reversed-groundbreaking-study-suggests/

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/381508129_Reversal_of_Autism_Symptoms_among_Dizygotic_Twins_through_a_Personalized_Lifestyle_and_Environmental_Modification_Approach_A_Case_Report_and_Review_of_the_Literature

https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4426/14/6/641#:~:text=One such case achieved reversal,and a variety of labs.

Confirms Telegraph isn’t a proper newspaper anymore
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,258
    kinabalu said:

The Democrat's Employee of the Year award should go to whatever staffer came up with the idea of having a ludicrously early debate, then managed to sucker Trump into agreeing with it. On the normal calendar they'd have had to deal with this stuff in October, it would have been a total catastrophe.

PS: It'll be interesting to see how Trump goes about dodging a debate with Harris.
    Why should he ? It's not in his interest to do so.
    edited July 22

I think all sports broadcasters need to accept that the game moves on so an ex pro 20 years out the game is probably very out of touch with modern ways of doing things.
    A lot of football coverage is still stuck in the back in my day i would have kicked them off the pitch. Sky had that with Holding, Botham, Bumble, where their cutting analysis was well bowl faster, bowl some bouncers. What they offer now is far superior incitement, where as on BBC it is Tuffers to tell us all about T20 / Hunded, who even back in the datly didn't even really know much about the game beyond red ball left arm spin.
    Nigelb said:

And the surname of his VP.
    Trump forgot the name of his wife as well.

Mind you, given he's had so many wives - and other ladies of equal distinction - that's not terribly surprising.

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

eek said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

“It’s just my brain”

It really is not.

Drunkenness is an interesting one, as if you see someone behaving drunk, it is easy to say: "Ah, they're drunk!"

Now, if you someone appearing drunk who is staggering out of a pub at one in the morning stinking of whisky, then there are extra symptoms that aid diagnosis. But if you come across someone who has just crashed a car and appears drunk, it is perfectly feasible that the appearance was caused by injuries in the crash itself, or by (say) a stroke.

This exact thing happened to an acquaintance's father a few years ago. Fortunately one of the first people on the scene of his crash was a medic, who made an accurate diagnosis that was *not* drunkenness.
    A friend was, many years back, beaten up by a policeman. Who assumed that a long haired young man, lying in the gutter and smelling of alcohol was a drunk. As opposed to a pub worker who'd just been hit&run by a car.
  • I'm not suggesting she is secretly loaded. I suspect she has chosen to live in a nice house etc and could make a choice to live in a slightly less nice one to save some money for a deposit.

And I am not saying that. I consistently suggest that the article headline is not backed up by facts about her circumstances. You are projecting what you think I am saying.
    You are implying that if she spent some of her money differently, she'd suddenly have no issue buying a house. Pret was cited as a reason. Therefore you conclude that Pret makes a difference. You and I both know that is rubbish.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,669

Leon said:

Just sayin’

Yes w3w comes in an incredible variety of languages

On hols it’s Le Godsend (parked cars, spots on beaches, picnic sites, swimming locations)
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Bless.

Scotland is separate from England, as I am frequently reminded when I muddle up British education and the English education system.

Serious question - do they have their own pay processes and reviews, or do they have to follow England?

What's really impressive about Scotland is they have the ability to do things differently yet in terms of car crash policies on training, exams and curriculum seem to slavishly follow England.
    I don’t know - the only reason I mentioned it is because it’s one of a number of education related items in Scotland where 1 decision creates subsequent problems that I would have thought were obvious with 30 seconds thought
    Josh Shapiro getting some airplay for his recent interview.

"So, I got a message to Donald Trump and all his negativity and his whining. Stop shit-talking America!"
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,056
    Andy_JS said:

Leftists don't like Harris because she was tough on crime when district attorney of San Fransisco between 2004 and 2011. If anything that ought to make her more popular with centrist and centre-right voters.

It ought to make her more popular with innocent people than with criminals. Fortunately she has the right opponent to emphasise this.

How dare she plan ahead.

The point is that unless you live in a 1 bed flat with a long commute (which then costs), little money is left over from a reasonable salary in Birmingham.
  • ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,149

Ah yes those Halcyon days between the crisis of the third century and the Justinian Plague.

Let's see.

I give 2 weeks until think about the strawberry shortage there will be, no sprouts for Christmas, curry houses closing because of no chef type articles in the Guardian.

You are implying that if she spent some of her money differently, she'd suddenly have no issue buying a house. Pret was cited as a reason. Therefore you conclude that Pret makes a difference. You and I both know that is rubbish.
    I'm suggesting that I don't know enough about the reasons that she cannot afford a deposit. My suspicion (which may be totally wrong) is that she could find a cheaper place to rent but chooses not too. That's her choice, but if that is the case (big IF) then the headline is not really fair.

There was a case on House MD like this - I think based on a real-life one - where a woman was thought to be drunk and was pulled over but it turned out it was a symptom caused by lung cancer.
    R5L recently had a science section that discussed Auto-Brewery Syndrome - where people can get *very* drunk from eating ordinary foods.

"Patients with auto-brewery syndrome present with many of the signs and symptoms of alcohol intoxication while denying the intake of alcohol and often report a high-sugar, high-carbohydrate diet. Several strains of fermenting yeasts and rare bacteria are identified as pathogens."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK513346/

You say you hope Trump is demented but could you possibly be a bit blind as you seem to vaguely support what he has to say?
    I think every word trump utters is a lie including "the" and "and" and that the most important thing in the world is that he should lose in November. How you get from there to vague support I have no idea.
  • I'm suggesting that I don't know enough about the reasons that she cannot afford a deposit. My suspicion (which may be totally wrong) is that she could find a cheaper place to rent but chooses not too. That's her choice, but if that is the case (big IF) then the headline is not really fair.

How do you know? Does the article say anything about having a cheaper place?

You're just putting onto her the usual "they pay too much rent", "eat too many avocados" rubbish I read in the Mail once a month.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,801

Some of the retired pro women's footballers talk about football very differently from the men. The women's professional game has only existed in a modern era, they have only ever been trained in modern ways with monitoring everything, analysing data, and doing training and conditioning methodically. They don't have the traditions or club ethos dating back decades to when football was amateurish and players could be basically unfit. So the women see the game in a modern way that men's clubs play now, and they use terms that are different from the ex-pro men, which often sail right over the heads of the men.

I think every word trump utters is a lie including "the" and "and" and that the most important thing in the world is that he should lose in November. How you get from there to vague support I have no idea.
    Then I find it baffling you conclude he doesn't have dementia or cognitive decline. Just watch him speak in 2016 vs now.

R5L recently had a science section that discussed Auto-Brewery Syndrome - where people can get *very* drunk from eating ordinary foods.

"Patients with auto-brewery syndrome present with many of the signs and symptoms of alcohol intoxication while denying the intake of alcohol and often report a high-sugar, high-carbohydrate diet. Several strains of fermenting yeasts and rare bacteria are identified as pathogens."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK513346/
    I am going to try that one on Mrs U when i come back from a day out with the boys...
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,669
    Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

eek said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

“It’s just my brain”

You can be fine to do a job for the moment but reluctantly decide that you don't think you can do it for another term. I was a Town Councillor for a few years but towards the end of my term I got married and started a new job so decided that I wouldn't have the time to do the role properly if I stood for re-election. It didn't mean that I'd been lying before then or that I was incapable of serving out my term.

You often give the impression that reality is too boring for you so you need to enliven it by making up a crisis or a conspiracy. That's fine but please don't present it as a fact.
    Ironically, in this case, there really was a conspiracy - to hide Biden’s mental decline. An actual conspiracy. People conspired to blame it on “a stammer”, or “trumpite lies” or “he’s got jet lag 14 days after flying”

There was a conspiracy. Right there. In front of us. It’s a rare case of total proof
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,540

Let's see.

Version MMXXIV more like it.

A lot of football coverage is still stuck in the back in my day i would have kicked them off the pitch. Sky had that with Holding, Botham, Bumble, where their cutting analysis was well bowl faster, bowl some bouncers. What they offer now is far superior incitement, where as on BBC it is Tuffers to tell us all about T20 / Hunded, who even back in the datly didn't even really know much about the game beyond red ball left arm spin.
    Its tricky. Not that many slots available for ex players to talk about the game, and easy for regulars to keep going year after year. But where is their CPD? How do they keep up to date with current best practice?

I can forgive TMS pretty much anything because it is just old ex players blathering on about cricket, for the most part (not unlike after match chats at my club). But if you have 'analysts' they need to be able to do the role.

How dare she plan ahead.

The point is that unless you live in a 1 bed flat with a long commute (which then costs), little money is left over from a reasonable salary in Birmingham.
    Could she flat share? Or take in a lodger? Who knows?
    edited July 22

Twin A was interviewed for the story (they clearly went for a different angle) but the point is that unless you have a source of deposit you have zero chance of buying a house (twin a had minimum rent - living at home) but she still needed a fair bit from us

It would be interesting to see if the flat being rented is furnished or not. After helping on the deposit I’ve since had to pay for the place to be rewired, some decoration and help find furniture.

I currently feel poor
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,963

Bless.

And the WASPI demands and council deficits due to Sex discrimination in wages? A deafening silence I expect.
    edited July 22

kinabalu said:

Why should he ? It's not in his interest to do so.
    Exactly. But he can't say that. "I refuse to debate my opponent because there's a big risk it will cost me a ton of votes." No, don't think so. He'll have to come up with an excuse and I'm just wondering what it might be.
This discussion has been closed.