Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

We need to talk about Trump’s age and faculties – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Could she flat share? Or take in a lodger? Who knows?

And did you do a flat share or take in a lodger?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,942

I'm suggesting that I don't know enough about the reasons that she cannot afford a deposit. My suspicion (which may be totally wrong) is that she could find a cheaper place to rent but chooses not too. That's her choice, but if that is the case (big IF) then the headline is not really fair.

How do you know? Does the article say anything about having a cheaper place?

You're just putting onto her the usual "they pay too much rent", "eat too many avocados" rubbish I read in the Mail once a month.
    I really think you are missing the point of what I am saying. The headline is not backed up by the story details. Its not about avocados. Its about realistic expectations, working out your goals and how you get there.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,540
    edited July 22

Starmer will today vow to “turn the page” on Britain’s reliance on foreign workers.

PM will declare he is “not content just to pull the easy lever on importing skills”.

“All too often young people in our country have been let down — not given access to the right opportunities or training in their community.

“That’s created an over-reliance in our economy on higher and higher levels of migration.”

Sir Keir will say training “home-grown talent” is vital to ­controlling legal migration after a push last week on tackling illegal migration.

https://x.com/MrHarryCole/status/1815256755435196914

Let's see.

British jobs for British workers (version XXIII)
    The problem is that, like many good policies, it will cost lots of money up front. And deliver results, noticeably, about 10 years from now. So terrible politics.

The mentality against increasing training is often hilarious. I recall at the beginning of Boris's term in government, the pledge to increase police numbers. Impossible, was the cry. One obstacle was that *there weren't enough* lockers at Hendon.

I mean, OK, classrooms might be an issue - order in some temporary units, as used on building sites. Shipping containers that lego together. Not ideal, but they work, while you build new classrooms.

Mentoring places in the police force, OK. That might be a bottleneck....

But lockers?

Hank Scorpio : Lockers!.... there's four places. There's the Locker Hut, that's on third....There's Lockers-R-Us, that's on third too. You got Put-Your-Stuff-There.... That's on third. Swing Low, Sweet Lockers... Matter of fact, they're all in the same complex; it's the Lockers District on third.
    If Keir Starmer is remotely sensible then now is the time to be making difficult choices that will only see rewards 10 years from now.

Getting re-elected today isn't an issue, there's no election today.
    Getting re-elected in 2028/29 won't be much of a problem, if the Conservatives continue to be unelectable.

The challenges will start around 10 years from now. It would be helpful in 10 years time to be getting rewards from tough choices a decade earlier.

Making choices now that will pay off in 10 years time is good politics, not bad politics, for a newly elected government with a healthy majority. Whether they'll do it is a different matter.

Could she flat share? Or take in a lodger? Who knows?

Yes - I lived in many shared accommodations during my time pre-mortgage.

And how much money were you able to save? What deposit did you need, how much was your mortgage?
    eek said:

I'm not suggesting she is secretly loaded. I suspect she has chosen to live in a nice house etc and could make a choice to live in a slightly less nice one to save some money for a deposit.

In shocking news, what everyone thought you thought, is exactly what you think. With posts like these, it is not surprising the problem has gone unresolved for so long. "Doesn't exist."
    Many moons ago a friend was doing a PhD in my lab. Every day he withdrew 10 quid, and over the course of the day spent it (mainly food for lunch etc). As he was struggling financially his back called him for a chat and discussed this - could he take the time to make sandwiches and save a bit each week? He did.

Now of course its absurd to suggest that everyone who cannot afford to save for a deposit or get a mortgage just needs to make sandwiches, and I don't believe that. House prices are vastly higher compared to wages than they were 40 years ago. But it is also the case that most of us make choices about what we do and in this headline case, something smelled off to me. But not to everyone.
    Yes - make your own lunch vs buying from Pret every day is saving a thousand a year. Or more.

Looking at the BBC story - you have a lady who probably has student loans. A house in a vaguely decent area of Birmingham will set her back north of 1,250 for rent.

As to why she wants a house - nesting is a word. We were discussing the effect of housing on the population just yesterday.
    Which is fine, but she probably needs to decide what she wants more - a nest now, or owning a nest in the future.

I've been bloody lucky with my housing, but also make choices about what I spend on. I'm very lucky and know it. But the headline was not backed up by the story (at least in her case).
    How dare she plan ahead.

The point is that unless you live in a 1 bed flat with a long commute (which then costs), little money is left over from a reasonable salary in Birmingham.
    The fact you are telling someone earning 150% of the median wage that they have to share a flat should be telling you something
    I'm not telling her to do anything. I'm suggesting that there are ways.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,593

If Biden has Alzheimer's - possible - then Trump certainly does.

Playground stuff. If our man smells of wee your man smells of double wee. Anyone who wants to keep trump out should be ecstatic about Biden going, and why he went is now academic. I hope trump is demented but don't see the evidence.
    Trump forgot which town he was in mid-speech!
    I think the evidence that Biden is demented is just as significant with Trump.

You can watch Trump's same decline between 2016 and now.

You say you hope Trump is demented but could you possibly be a bit blind as you seem to vaguely support what he has to say?
    I think every word trump utters is a lie including "the" and "and" and that the most important thing in the world is that he should lose in November. How you get from there to vague support I have no idea.
    Then I find it baffling you conclude he doesn't have dementia or cognitive decline. Just watch him speak in 2016 vs now.
    The thing is, I can tell Biden's less able than he was. But as I say below, I'm not qualified to diagnose whether that's Alzheimer's, dementia, a.n.other condition or just a natural thing of doing a very hard job and trying to communicate at an advanced age.

And having said that, I have to say the same for Trump. Yes, I think he's less able than he was back in 2016; but have no idea what is causing that.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,610

Starmer will today vow to “turn the page” on Britain’s reliance on foreign workers.

PM will declare he is “not content just to pull the easy lever on importing skills”.

“All too often young people in our country have been let down — not given access to the right opportunities or training in their community.

“That’s created an over-reliance in our economy on higher and higher levels of migration.”

Sir Keir will say training “home-grown talent” is vital to ­controlling legal migration after a push last week on tackling illegal migration.

Let's see.

Version MMXXIV more like it.
    Only 1 plan a year feels a bit inaccurate X̅X̅XXIV is probably more accurate
    sarissa said:

Bless.

Rachel Reeves is preparing to hand millions of public sector workers an above-inflation pay rise and attempt to blame the Conservatives for any tax rises needed to fund it

https://x.com/thetimes/status/1815281019026567442

And the WASPI demands and council deficits due to Sex discrimination in wages? A deafening silence I expect.
    A sound "f*ck right off and once you've f*cked off keep f*cking off some more" is all the WASPI demands are due. 👍
  • If Biden has Alzheimer's - possible - then Trump certainly does.

Playground stuff. If our man smells of wee your man smells of double wee. Anyone who wants to keep trump out should be ecstatic about Biden going, and why he went is now academic. I hope trump is demented but don't see the evidence.

You say you hope Trump is demented but could you possibly be a bit blind as you seem to vaguely support what he has to say?
    I think every word trump utters is a lie including "the" and "and" and that the most important thing in the world is that he should lose in November. How you get from there to vague support I have no idea.
    Then I find it baffling you conclude he doesn't have dementia or cognitive decline. Just watch him speak in 2016 vs now.
    The thing is, I can tell Biden's less able than he was. But as I say below, I'm not qualified to diagnose whether that's Alzheimer's, dementia, a.n.other condition or just a natural thing of doing a very hard job and trying to communicate at an advanced age.

And having said that, I have to say the same for Trump. Yes, I think he's less able than he was back in 2016; but have no idea what is causing that.
    My point was that if one concludes Biden has mental decline, Trump ticks all the same boxes.

eek said:

I'm not suggesting she is secretly loaded. I suspect she has chosen to live in a nice house etc and could make a choice to live in a slightly less nice one to save some money for a deposit.

In shocking news, what everyone thought you thought, is exactly what you think. With posts like these, it is not surprising the problem has gone unresolved for so long. "Doesn't exist."
    Many moons ago a friend was doing a PhD in my lab. Every day he withdrew 10 quid, and over the course of the day spent it (mainly food for lunch etc). As he was struggling financially his back called him for a chat and discussed this - could he take the time to make sandwiches and save a bit each week? He did.

Now of course its absurd to suggest that everyone who cannot afford to save for a deposit or get a mortgage just needs to make sandwiches, and I don't believe that. House prices are vastly higher compared to wages than they were 40 years ago. But it is also the case that most of us make choices about what we do and in this headline case, something smelled off to me. But not to everyone.
    Yes - make your own lunch vs buying from Pret every day is saving a thousand a year. Or more.

Looking at the BBC story - you have a lady who probably has student loans. A house in a vaguely decent area of Birmingham will set her back north of 1,250 for rent.

As to why she wants a house - nesting is a word. We were discussing the effect of housing on the population just yesterday.
    Which is fine, but she probably needs to decide what she wants more - a nest now, or owning a nest in the future.

I've been bloody lucky with my housing, but also make choices about what I spend on. I'm very lucky and know it. But the headline was not backed up by the story (at least in her case).
    How dare she plan ahead.

The point is that unless you live in a 1 bed flat with a long commute (which then costs), little money is left over from a reasonable salary in Birmingham.
    The fact you are telling someone earning 150% of the median wage that they have to share a flat should be telling you something
    I'm not telling her to do anything. I'm suggesting that there are ways.
    Okay you are suggesting that a person earning 150% of the median wage should be living in shared accommodation.

My point still stands that it shows how screwed our housing market (both rental and purchase) is

And how much money were you able to save? What deposit did you need, how much was your mortgage?
    I lived pretty well. In NZ I shared a shitty house with three others and saved about 3-4 grand in a year. Helped when I moved back to the UK in 1999. I lived in shared houses in Norwich when at UEA and saved money there.

I was very lucky that my wife and I were gifted a deposit. Without that it would have been tougher but we would have saved.

I know its hard and for some, impossible. I just think her story is not playing fair with the reader.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,384

This is such nonsense, it's actually kind of insulting. Young people are not struggling to afford housing because they get Pret too much. Most young people don't even go to Pret.
    And I am not saying that. I consistently suggest that the article headline is not backed up by facts about her circumstances. You are projecting what you think I am saying.
    You are implying that if she spent some of her money differently, she'd suddenly have no issue buying a house. Pret was cited as a reason. Therefore you conclude that Pret makes a difference. You and I both know that is rubbish.
    If you're a first time buyer I don't think you should need a deposit. You should just have to show you can afford the mortgage (with a prudence buffer for if it increases by say 25%).
    eek said:

Let's see.

Version MMXXIV more like it.
    Only 1 plan a year feels a bit inaccurate X̅X̅XXIV is probably more accurate
    Or version XXIV!
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,258
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I reckon there's a fair bit of rewriting of history on Biden. Back in 2020, many of us who backed him were concerned that he was well past his best, but we had to run with him because he was the best (only?) chance of beating Trump. Covid helped him a lot: it gave the Dems a good reason to limit his exposure during the heat of the 2020 campaign.

Roll on four years to 2024, and our fears have come to pass: of course he has declined further, and would only continue to do so up to 2028. The precise diagnosis doesn't matter at all. And if there was some Washington conspiracy to hide his decline from us all, they made a pretty poor job of it, didn't they? So, it's great that he's now seen sense and passed on the baton.

The Democrat's Employee of the Year award should go to whatever staffer came up with the idea of having a ludicrously early debate, then managed to sucker Trump into agreeing with it. On the normal calendar they'd have had to deal with this stuff in October, it would have been a total catastrophe.
    That thought struck me too.

PS: It'll be interesting to see how Trump goes about dodging a debate with Harris.
    Why should he ? It's not in his interest to do so.
    Exactly. But he can't say that. "I refuse to debate my opponent because there's a big risk it will cost me a ton of votes." No, don't think so. He'll have to come up with an excuse and I'm just wondering what it might be.
    Oh dont be daft he'll come up with some formula to get out of it like I dont debate beneath my pay grade or since Harris needs the debate he'll change all the conditions to things like he can interrupt any time he wants or Harris has to wear a bag on her head,

With 107 days left and having already won a debate, theres not much pressure on him unless he's mad enough to do it.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,669
    How long before Labour are so unpopular they get a poll deficit? It may be a very long time because the opposition is so divided and enfeebled

Or Farage could break through and it happens next year

I lived pretty well. In NZ I shared a shitty house with three others and saved about 3-4 grand in a year. Helped when I moved back to the UK in 1999. I lived in shared houses in Norwich when at UEA and saved money there.

I was very lucky that my wife and I were gifted a deposit. Without that it would have been tougher but we would have saved.

I know its hard and for some, impossible. I just think her story is not playing fair with the reader.
    So you saved about £10K for a deposit over a few years? What was your mortgage worth?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,507
    edited July 22
    kinabalu said:

This is such nonsense, it's actually kind of insulting. Young people are not struggling to afford housing because they get Pret too much. Most young people don't even go to Pret.
    And I am not saying that. I consistently suggest that the article headline is not backed up by facts about her circumstances. You are projecting what you think I am saying.
    You are implying that if she spent some of her money differently, she'd suddenly have no issue buying a house. Pret was cited as a reason. Therefore you conclude that Pret makes a difference. You and I both know that is rubbish.
    If you're a first time buyer I don't think you should need a deposit. You should just have to show you can afford the mortgage (with a prudence buffer for if it increases by say 25%).
    We did that in the 2000s and it went tits up. Then we have had help to buy, soon to be relaunched as Freedom to Buy. Unfortunately it comes with a number of wider economic downsides. There is no free lunch especially when demand is massively outstripping supply.

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I reckon there's a fair bit of rewriting of history on Biden. Back in 2020, many of us who backed him were concerned that he was well past his best, but we had to run with him because he was the best (only?) chance of beating Trump. Covid helped him a lot: it gave the Dems a good reason to limit his exposure during the heat of the 2020 campaign.

Roll on four years to 2024, and our fears have come to pass: of course he has declined further, and would only continue to do so up to 2028. The precise diagnosis doesn't matter at all. And if there was some Washington conspiracy to hide his decline from us all, they made a pretty poor job of it, didn't they? So, it's great that he's now seen sense and passed on the baton.

The Democrat's Employee of the Year award should go to whatever staffer came up with the idea of having a ludicrously early debate, then managed to sucker Trump into agreeing with it. On the normal calendar they'd have had to deal with this stuff in October, it would have been a total catastrophe.

PS: It'll be interesting to see how Trump goes about dodging a debate with Harris.
    Exactly. But he can't say that. "I refuse to debate my opponent because there's a big risk it will cost me a ton of votes." No, don't think so. He'll have to come up with an excuse and I'm just wondering what it might be.
    Oh dont be daft he'll come up with some formula to get out of it like I dont debate beneath my pay grade or since Harris needs the debate he'll change all the conditions to things like he can interrupt any time he wants or Harris has to wear a bag on her head,

With 107 days left and having already won a debate, theres not much pressure on him unless he's mad enough to do it.
    Well we're both being daft then since we're saying the same thing - that he'll dodge it and come up with some bullshit excuse.
    edited July 22

So 1999 when house prices and rent were rather lower. If we are talking history between 1999 and 2004 house prices doubled in most parts of the UK

Edit Oh I missed the deposit bit so you agree that it’s only bank go mum and dad that got you into the living you actually have. Strange that only came up as we pushed the point
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,276

Bless.

Rachel Reeves is preparing to hand millions of public sector workers an above-inflation pay rise and attempt to blame the Conservatives for any tax rises needed to fund it

The bond markets will Trussify her if such cakeism continues.
    Good morning

Sky are reporting Reeves is expected to move to abolish the 2 child benefit cap due to pressure from her left

Sky showed a you gov poll yesterday that by 60%/28% the public support the cap

Fiscal responsibility for Labour seems to be an optional choice depending on their politics

I would expect the result of these inflationary moves will see interest rates remain high for much longer

The cost of not paying salaries that enable you to recruit and retain teachers, nurses and others is far, far higher than the cost of doing so. The same applies to the two child policy. Short-termism guided by opinion polls has cost this country dear. It's about time it was consigned to the rubbish bin.

Then you have the choice of higher taxes and interest rates
    Yes, the previous government left a disastrous legacy.

Including 4p off NI rates that wasn't funded, isn't affordable and didn't even manage to buy many votes.
    That's a great legacy not a disastrous one, NI should be abolished.

Don't care if it didn't get any votes (and it didn't get mine either), it was the right thing to do.

If income tax needs to go up to balance NI going down, then that's OK, but taxing only those who work for their income is what is disastrous.
    No NI should be ringfenced to fund contributory unemployment benefits, the state pension and some healthcare and social care as it was set up to do
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 3,001
    Leon said:

How long before Labour are so unpopular they get a poll deficit? It may be a very long time because the opposition is so divided and enfeebled

Or Farage could break through and it happens next year

Your love for Farage is silly.

Nigel becoming Trump's proctologist is both unpopular and stupid.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,593

If Biden has Alzheimer's - possible - then Trump certainly does.

My point was that if one concludes Biden has mental decline, Trump ticks all the same boxes.
    Yes, I'd agree with that, with a caveat that Trump's are less pronounced. But that might just be because people are not highlighting every little slip-up as much.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,560
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Well we're both being daft then since we're saying the same thing - that he'll dodge it and come up with some bullshit excuse.
    And that will give Kamala Harris tons of ammunition to throw at him if he ducks it.

I think refusing to debate her would be a big unforced error.

kinabalu said:

We did that in the 2000s and it went tits up. Then we have had help to buy, soon to be relaunched as Freedom to Buy. Unfortunately it comes with a number of wider economic downsides. There is no free lunch.
    What's tits up is ever escalating house prices.

We had a house prices falling in the early 90s so that we were in the fantastic position in 1997 that houses cost the same as they were costing in 1987. As a result home ownership hit record highs then.

House prices falling back in nominal terms to what they nominally were in 2014 would be a good start.

HYUFD said:

Kerry was a prosecutor but it didn't help him in 2004 to win

George W. Bush wasn’t a criminal.
    He was, he had a conviction for DUI, even if only a minor criminal he had a criminal record
    edited July 22

kinabalu said:

We did that in the 2000s and it went tits up. Then we have had help to buy, soon to be relaunched as Freedom to Buy. Unfortunately it comes with a number of wider economic downsides. There is no free lunch.

We had a house prices falling in the early 90s so that we were in the fantastic position in 1997 that houses cost the same as they were costing in 1987. As a result home ownership hit record highs then.

House prices falling back in nominal terms to what they nominally were in 2014 would be a good start.
    That is one of the arguments against help to buy type schemes you basically just inflating the prices, while also making people take on a load of extra debt.

While demand massively outstrips supply you still have a huge problem. Doing no money down / government puts the money down for you doesn't solve the issue, it makes it worse, particularly if it is the norm.
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,963

Bless.

Remove or reduce the cap on NI contributions from higher rate taxpayers - anything up to £12.5 billion raised.
    Aligning capital gains tax and income tax rates in the UK - £12 billion raised.

Manifesto promises paid for.
    HYUFD said:

Bless.

Good morning

Sky are reporting Reeves is expected to move to abolish the 2 child benefit cap due to pressure from her left

Sky showed a you gov poll yesterday that by 60%/28% the public support the cap

Fiscal responsibility for Labour seems to be an optional choice depending on their politics

I would expect the result of these inflationary moves will see interest rates remain high for much longer

The cost of not paying salaries that enable you to recruit and retain teachers, nurses and others is far, far higher than the cost of doing so. The same applies to the two child policy. Short-termism guided by opinion polls has cost this country dear. It's about time it was consigned to the rubbish bin.

Then you have the choice of higher taxes and interest rates
    Yes, the previous government left a disastrous legacy.

Including 4p off NI rates that wasn't funded, isn't affordable and didn't even manage to buy many votes.
    That's a great legacy not a disastrous one, NI should be abolished.

Don't care if it didn't get any votes (and it didn't get mine either), it was the right thing to do.

If income tax needs to go up to balance NI going down, then that's OK, but taxing only those who work for their income is what is disastrous.
    No NI should be ringfenced to fund contributory unemployment benefits, the state pension and some healthcare and social care as it was set up to do
    Social care you say - time to increase it and create a social care system that works rather than using council tax for it then

So you saved about £10K for a deposit over a few years? What was your mortgage worth?
    First mortgage was 147 thousand. But as I said I was very lucky.
    edited July 22

MaxPB said:

EPG said:

MaxPB said:

There needs to be a reckoning for the mainstream leftist media in the US who have helped cover up Biden's rate of decline over the last few years. It's been an open secret that his mental faculties have been declining but the white house staffers pressured a pliant media to not report the truth "for the greater good".

The owners of these companies need to clean house and get rid of all of those journalists who helped the white house cover this up. All of those selectively reported events, copy pasted denials and complete lies they reported for the past two years has denied the American people a proper say on who should face Trump this year and it's likely going to result in a Trump victory.

A journalist's responsibility should be to the facts, not some sense of "greater good". As soon as that moral compass is distorted this is the inevitable result.

You're rattled because today this doesn't matter any more. Fine. But the evidence was out there for years. People on here were talking about it. Trump was running on it. So the cover up was simply that part of a free press took an editorial line you don't like.
    Of course it matters because this stupidity and cover up has made Trump the favourite to win in November and against Harris I think he could get a landslide victory with Harris only picking up three or four coastal states.

It's not an "editorial line" it was a pack of lies to do their friends in the white house a favour. An editorial line would have been to admit that Biden was struggling with his mental agility but say it's still better than the alternative, not to simply deny the obvious truth of it and push the white house agenda that he's all good and the doctors all say he's great etc... it's just lies.
    I am bemused by your inability to spot that EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED after yesterday.

No one is gonna give a shit what went before, Harris v. Trump is all that matters now. Harris will win comfortably in November.
    Yes Harris will win California comfortably in November granted. Arizona and Michigan, Wisconsin and Ohio on the other hand....

Enjoying all the Tory wish-casting of impending Labour doom on here atm, IMF bail-out by 2028 etc.

Keep it up chaps - it's all you've got.

You Labour lot had your fun over the last decade looking for impending doom in everything the Tory government did, now it is our turn

kinabalu said:

We did that in the 2000s and it went tits up. Then we have had help to buy, soon to be relaunched as Freedom to Buy. Unfortunately it comes with a number of wider economic downsides. There is no free lunch especially when demand is massively outstripping supply.
    +1 without massively increased supply the only thing those schemes have created is excess demand and multiple subsequent problems

kinabalu said:

We did that in the 2000s and it went tits up. Then we have had help to buy, soon to be relaunched as Freedom to Buy. Unfortunately it comes with a number of wider economic downsides. There is no free lunch when demand is massively outstripping supply
    Let's do it better then. Properly managed, properly regulated. It's not a free lunch if the interest rate incorporates the credit risk.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,565
    F1: I do agree predicting specific running orders can be tricky, but the McLaren has been consistently best or joint-best for over half the season. Mercedes' two wins both benefited from fortune, whereas McLaren's relative lack is down to a mix of bad luck and strategic ineptitude (which hopefully they can finally learn from).
    eek said:

So 1999 when house prices and rent were rather lower. If we are talking history between 1999 and 2004 house prices doubled in most parts of the UK

Edit Oh I missed the deposit bit so you agree that it’s only bank go mum and dad that got you into the living you actually have. Strange that only came up as we pushed the point
    I didn't need to save in the end, but would have done if we'd had too.

I'm not an idiot - I know its very tough out there. I just think this headline was (deliberately) provocative with not enough detail in the story.

kinabalu said:

That one the arguments against help to buy type schemes you basically just inflating the prices, while also making people take on a load of extra debt.
    I disagree with that argument.

Prices are inflated because supply is less than demand and even without help to buy people are still willing to pay over the odds.

A house price crash would be better, but house prices surged before help to buy existed. Fuelled by a shortage of supply and people wanting to make money from buy to lets, not help to buy.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,664
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He was, he had a conviction for DUI, even if only a minor criminal he had a criminal record
    Absolutely comparable to the legal issues Trump has.

PS - I hope Buttigieg endorsing Harris hasn’t hurt you too much.

Lightweight - twin A saved £15,000 in 31 months

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

EPG said:

MaxPB said:

There needs to be a reckoning for the mainstream leftist media in the US who have helped cover up Biden's rate of decline over the last few years. It's been an open secret that his mental faculties have been declining but the white house staffers pressured a pliant media to not report the truth "for the greater good".

The owners of these companies need to clean house and get rid of all of those journalists who helped the white house cover this up. All of those selectively reported events, copy pasted denials and complete lies they reported for the past two years has denied the American people a proper say on who should face Trump this year and it's likely going to result in a Trump victory.

A journalist's responsibility should be to the facts, not some sense of "greater good". As soon as that moral compass is distorted this is the inevitable result.

You're rattled because today this doesn't matter any more. Fine. But the evidence was out there for years. People on here were talking about it. Trump was running on it. So the cover up was simply that part of a free press took an editorial line you don't like.
    Of course it matters because this stupidity and cover up has made Trump the favourite to win in November and against Harris I think he could get a landslide victory with Harris only picking up three or four coastal states.

It's not an "editorial line" it was a pack of lies to do their friends in the white house a favour. An editorial line would have been to admit that Biden was struggling with his mental agility but say it's still better than the alternative, not to simply deny the obvious truth of it and push the white house agenda that he's all good and the doctors all say he's great etc... it's just lies.
    Harris will win California, Oregon, Washington, Hawaii, Illinois and DC, New York and most of the North East and Illinois but yes has no certain wins beyond that. If as now seems likely the Democrats want to give Harris a coronation then Trump and Vance will likely sweep the rustbelt swing states and middle America
    I know you study this sort of thing, but I wonder if we’re going to see a gender effect, in that in the privacy of the voting booth, women are going to vote for a woman.
    They did for Hillary, she still lost as even more men went for Trump

Yes, both in getting help and buying decades ago when prices were affordable.

So this lady if she's not so lucky, having no support and today when prices are sky high, then that's entirely believable is it not?

The Tories are rapidly losing any sense in my mind that they will be able to get back in within five years. They seem intent on learning all the wrong lessons and choosing the wrong candidate. Why you would watch Labour in 2010 and 2015 and then do the same thing is beyond me.

Ed Miliband led half the polls from 2010 to 2015, Corbyn got a hung parliament in 2017, it was not all Tory traffic
    edited July 22

kinabalu said:

That one the arguments against help to buy type schemes you basically just inflating the prices, while also making people take on a load of extra debt.

Prices are inflated because supply is less than demand and even without help to buy people are still willing to pay over the odds.

A house price crash would be better, but house prices surged before help to buy existed. Fuelled by a shortage of supply and people wanting to make money from buy to lets, not help to buy.
    Most economists disagree with you on what no money down does to house prices. But the rampant buy to pet has masked it by pumping things even more.

Here is a good argument why 99% mortgages are bad even for the individual
    https://youtu.be/bGgA_C7znwY?si=9-g7QJAdlrrnPLib
    kinabalu said:

I don't have an issue with that, although I think the financial checks that are done by mortgage providers could be more stringent. They mostly seem to be asking people to be very honest about their spending and how much they can afford, and not everyone is totally upfront, or perhaps just forgets about the one off costs through the year.
    eek said:

Hang on - so it IS possible?
  • sarissa said:

Bless.

Remove or reduce the cap on NI contributions from higher rate taxpayers - anything up to £12.5 billion raised.

Doubt it. People will just work less and the total take will fall.

That would mean anything above £60k and I would be paying a marginal rate of about 75%.

No thanks I will go part time (actually I already did, partly for that reason).

eek said:

I'm not an idiot - I know its very tough out there. I just think this headline was (deliberately) provocative with not enough detail in the story.
    The detail is all too real, the data backs it up.

Buying a home without parental or other support is all but impossible currently, which is wrong. Everyone working for a living should be able to afford their own home, from their own efforts, not rely upon handouts from others.

The headline was not remotely provocative, you just don't like what it has to say.

kinabalu said:

Most economists disagree with you on what no money down does to house prices. But the rampant buy to pet has masked it by pumping things even more.
    Love to meet those economists because it’s easy to demonstrate that the ability to use rent as part of the mortgage application gives landlords a large advantage over first time buyers

So this lady if she's not so lucky, having no support and today when prices are sky high, then that's entirely believable is it not?
    How much would she need for a minimum deposit? How long would it take to save for that? Can she save 400 a month? Thats 20,000 over 4 years (and extra with prudent investment). Or 200 a month for 4 years for 10K.

eek said:

The detail is all too real, the data backs it up.

Buying a home without parental or other support is all but impossible currently, which is wrong. Everyone working for a living should be able to afford their own home, from their own efforts, not rely upon handouts from others.

The headline was not remotely provocative, you just don't like what it has to say.
    I profoundly disagree. There is not enough information.

How much would she need for a minimum deposit? How long would it take to save for that? Can she save 400 a month? Thats 20,000 over 4 years (and extra with prudent investment). Or 200 a month for 4 years for 10K.
    Lets say a 10% deposit is desired. For a £215k house that's 21.5k - basically 9 years at £200 per month.

But the problem is that is for a 10% deposit in today's prices. The way things have been going, in 9 years time that price will be 430k and a 43k deposit will be needed.
    eek said:

kinabalu said:

Love to meet those economists because it’s easy to demonstrate that the ability to use rent as part of the mortgage application gives landlords a large advantage over first time buyers
    Help to Buy has pushed up house prices in England, says report
    https://www.ft.com/content/19236eef-abed-4401-a6b1-25c1035ab095
  • You'd do well to afford anything more than a garage in London/South East with a 10% deposit

You seem to be trying to repeat a story we’ve already debunked - you said she could reduce her rent, we demonstrated that it didn’t seem possible so now you are suggesting the same thing from a different angle.

Being blunt if you rent at the moment as a single person you are not going to be in a position go save enough money to get a deposit
    the other thing to mention about home ownership now - also relevant in the context of the article - is that it is becoming increasingly difficult for single-income buyers to afford.

A decade or so ago if you were earning a decent salary you wouldn’t have had tremendous problems. You might have had to wait a few years to build a deposit but you’d get there. Now I think for a lot of people it is increasingly out of reach.
    ToryJim said:

Mr. Cookie, thanks for your kind words.

"Morris actually pioneered a method which made sense..." yes, in the Long Ago times, when politics was boring and the leaders were all the same, and a pandemic and financial crisis were in the distant past.

Ah yes those Halcyon days between the crisis of the third century and the Justinian Plague.
    Not if you lived in Rome.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,490

Help to Buy has pushed up house prices in England, says report
    https://www.ft.com/content/19236eef-abed-4401-a6b1-25c1035ab095

"Help to sell"
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,588

How dare she plan ahead.

Lets reset.

Someone earring in the top 10% can't buy a house in Birmingham.

The housing market is fucked up.
    edited July 22
    Contrary to the policy’s title, HtB may not have ‘helped’ the population of credit constrained households in the most unaffordable areas of the country. There are two reasons for this. First, the policy pushed up house prices, increasing housing costs rather than housing consumption in square meters....

THE ECONOMIC IMPACTS OF HELP TO BUY* Felipe Carozzi London School of Economics & Centre for Economic Performance
    eek said:

You seem to be trying to repeat a story we’ve already debunked - you said she could reduce her rent, we demonstrated that it didn’t seem possible so now you are suggesting the same thing from a different angle.

Being blunt if you rent at the moment as a single person you are not going to be in a position go save enough money to get a deposit
    How did you kid save the money then?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,725
    Microsoft blames the Crowdstrike issue on the EU

https://x.com/fxshaw/status/1814894383982125496
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,992
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That's fair comment. DUI is socially acceptable still in the USA. Not like here (generally).

It's not clear whether he was guilty of a misdemeanour or a felony.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,179

Microsoft blames the Crowdstrike issue on the EU

I didn't know you had started working at Microsoft.
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That's fair comment. DUI is socially acceptable still in the USA. Not like here (generally).

It's not clear whether he was guilty of a misdemeanour or a felony.
    Socially acceptable maybe in some quarters but still a criminal act, it was a misdemeanour though obviously if he had injured or killed someone when DUI like Ted Kennedy did it would have been a felony
    edited July 22

eek said:

Living at home because she didn’t head to university having won the career lottery and got a degree apprenticeship in a location that didn’t require her to relocate
  • I'm not suggesting she is secretly loaded. I suspect she has chosen to live in a nice house etc and could make a choice to live in a slightly less nice one to save some money for a deposit.

How dare she plan ahead.

Lets reset.

Dont worry, with Reeves handing out inflation busting pay rises and ending benefits caps, interest rates will soon cause a price crash.

kinabalu said:

Also with stable house prices negative equity wouldn't be such a fear factor for borrowers or lenders. Ability to service the loan (with a prudence buffer) should suffice as the key criteria rather than upfront deposit.
  • Microsoft blames the Crowdstrike issue on the EU

I didn't know you had started working at Microsoft.
    Nah that was the other William Glenn

How dare she plan ahead.

Lets reset.

Dont worry, with Reeves handing out inflation busting pay rises and ending benefits caps, interest rates will soon cause a price crash.
    Prices crashing and pay rising would be a fantastic combination. 👍
    edited July 22

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, just confirmed my view that Trump will now win Middle America comfortably in November if Harris gets a coronation at the convention. Coronations didn't exactly help Howard, Brown, May and Sunak win big election victories here

Lets say a 10% deposit is desired. For a £215k house that's 21.5k - basically 9 years at £200 per month.

But the problem is that is for a 10% deposit in today's prices. The way things have been going, in 9 years time that price will be 430k and a 43k deposit will be needed.
    And don’t forget legal fees, surveyors fees, moving costs etc. It all adds up.
  • eek said:

It's quite obvious, Turbo already made up their mind before even reading the article so it's now just a case of them confirming that actually there's something else afoot. Can't possibly be because housing is too expensive.

sarissa said:

Bless.

That would mean anything above £60k and I would be paying a marginal rate of about 75%.

If your job could be done part-time, why were they paying you a full-time salary?
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,258
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, just confirmed my view that Trump will now win Middle America comfortably in November if Harris gets a coronation. Coronations didn't exactly help Howard, Brown, May and Sunak win big election victories here
    Still awaiting news from Obamaland.

eek said:

It's quite obvious, Turbo already made up their mind before even reading the article so it's now just a case of them confirming that actually there's something else afoot. Can't possibly be because housing is too expensive.
    Can't two things be true at the same time? I accept that house prices are too expensive.
    I also think there is something missing from the story.
    edited July 22

kinabalu said:

I don't have an issue with that, although I think the financial checks that are done by mortgage providers could be more stringent. They mostly seem to be asking people to be very honest about their spending and how much they can afford, and not everyone is totally upfront, or perhaps just forgets about the one off costs through the year.
    The main big 'auditable' thing is what you're paying to rent. If you're forking out a sum of similar magnitude to what a mortgage would cost on a suitable place to buy, yet you can't get finance to do this for lack of several thousands in cash to put down as a deposit, there's something wrong there imo.

eek said:

Can't two things be true at the same time? I accept that house prices are too expensive.
    You started off saying rents are £750 a month, we had to correct that and it went downhill from there.

eek said:

Why?

Its the case up and down the entire bloody country for a generation of people.

We've ran the numbers for you and they check out.
    edited July 22
    The £50k lady, that is a salary now that is an absolute rotter in a way. Under the Tories, you become in that spot where you earn too much for benefits, tax are high now and you are making substantial student loan repayments and pension contributions..You are also on the cliff edge for 40% tax bracket, so a couple of grand pay rise won't help that much. Particularly bad if you were single parent as until last budget £50k was cliff edge for child benefit.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,422

eek said:

Mid 2010s we saved £1k+ per month for deposit for our first home (which cost ~£200k). But but our combined income was ~£90k in today's money (we were on ~£35k each at the time) and our rent on a reasonably nice, but small, two bed house was £700pcm.

So, the lady in question on, probably after tax about half the take home income, and with lord knows what rent - I can believe it's much more of a struggle
    eek said:

eek said:

You started off saying rents are £750 a month, we had to correct that and it went downhill from there.
    I didn't - someone else provided that number.
  • sarissa said:

sarissa said:

Bless.

If your job could be done part-time, why were they paying you a full-time salary?
    Because there are more than one of me, in fact a complete team and it also gives more opportunities for young graduates and finishing apprentices to join.

And because if they didn't agree to part time I would have left after nearly 40 years and they would have had rather a hole to fill.

eek said:

Why?

I know people on here don't think its an option, but many people DO flatshare. I did. It can be fun. It can be shit. Surely one way to save money?

A colleague has taken a job in Newcastle but is staying in Bath and commuting. She rents a room in a house with another professional for her time in Newcastle. Could the lady in the story do that for a year or two?
    Selebian said:

eek said:

Mid 2010s we saved £1k+ per month for deposit for our first home (which cost ~£200k). But but our combined income was ~£90k in today's money (we were on ~£35k each at the time) and our rent on a reasonably nice, but small, two bed house was £700pcm.

So, the lady in question on, probably after tax about half the take home income, and with lord knows what rent - I can believe it's much more of a struggle
    You’re all slackers.

I bought my first house before I even started my first job.

Thanks to my parents providing the deposit and first few month of mortgage payments.

Granny Eagles provided some money to furnish the place.

But it was all down to my hard work obviously.

eek said:

He's already said, by living with his parents and not paying rent.

Not an option for many people, nor should it need to be.

Selebian said:

eek said:

You’re all slackers.

Thanks to my parents providing the deposit and first few month of mortgage payments.

You took a small loan of a $1 million ;-)
  • I know people on here don't think its an option, but many people DO flatshare. I did. It can be fun. It can be shit. Surely one way to save money?

A colleague has taken a job in Newcastle but is staying in Bath and commuting. She rents a room in a house with another professional for her time in Newcastle. Could the lady in the story do that for a year or two?

You are incredibly out of touch. Most people already flatshare, I can't think of anyone in their 20s who I know that doesn't. Nobody can afford to live on their own unless they have significant savings or a very good salary.

You're suggesting things that even the most stupid 20 year old has already done.

The problem is that you're coming at this from the angle of "if only they did this". It doesn't work like that, housing is too expensive, there is no getting away from it. No amount of lifestyle change is going to change that.

Just accept you've got it wrong.

eek said:

Why?

I know people on here don't think its an option, but many people DO flatshare. I did. It can be fun. It can be shit. Surely one way to save money?

Even doing that its incredibly hard to save enough for a deposit, especially when the required amount is increasing annually whenever prices rise. That's the problem with ever escalating prices, the amount needed for the deposit is ever escalating.

Saving £200 a month isn't enough for a deposit if it takes a decade to save for a deposit at that rate, and in a decades time its half of what you need for a deposit.
  • You’re all slackers.

I want to congratulate you on finally producing a post that isn't total bollocks.
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

The main big 'auditable' thing is what you're paying to rent. If you're forking out a sum of similar magnitude to what a mortgage would cost on a suitable place to buy, yet you can't get finance to do this for lack of several thousands in cash to put down as a deposit, there's something wrong there imo.
    The housing market is completely broken that people are paying rent that covers a landlord's mortgage but isn't covering their own.

In a healthy market rent is less than a mortgage not more than it.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,490
    Another one to add to the Strictly binfire:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy08gz5xz3do

Will Bailey "injuries that still affect me to this day".

You’re all slackers.

I want to congratulate you on finally producing a post that isn't total bollocks.
    We look forward to the day we can congratulate you for the same.
    edited July 22

Selebian said:

eek said:

You’re all slackers.

You took a small loan of a $1 million ;-)
    Nearly, my father took the mortgage out in his name and mine but he took on the burden because my mother just wasn’t going to let me rent.

Honestly I won the lottery by buying a house in London in 2000, all before my 22nd birthday.
  • You’re all slackers.

We look forward to the day we can congratulate you for the same.
    That day I can assure you, is not coming.

Do you too enjoy tripe, is that why you give me likes?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,669
    Dunno about crowdstrike but the EU is falling way behind on tech. See the latest comments out of Meta. Refusing to release new tech modalities in the EU because of GDPR

The EU will become a museum land
    Pulpstar said:

Another one to add to the Strictly binfire:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy08gz5xz3do

Will Bailey "injuries that still affect me to this day".

Strictly is starting in a few weeks.

We have the big PR event next month…
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, just confirmed my view that Trump will now win Middle America comfortably in November if Harris gets a coronation at the convention. Coronations didn't exactly help Howard, Brown, May and Sunak win big election victories here
    I don't think you can read across like that
    edited July 22
    The only real fix for housing situation is a) building more supply, b) reduce demand and c) get the economy growing sustainabily at above inflation so people are better off... country GDP / per person is growing.

The problem is no government in the past 20+ years has achieved that and we are starting from a terrible position of poor productivity, out of control immigration, and inability to buile anything quickly.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,005

You are incredibly out of touch. Most people already flatshare, I can't think of anyone in their 20s who I know that doesn't. Nobody can afford to live on their own unless they have significant savings or a very good salary.

You're suggesting things that even the most stupid 20 year old has already done.

The problem is that you're coming at this from the angle of "if only they did this". It doesn't work like that, housing is too expensive, there is no getting away from it. No amount of lifestyle change is going to change that.

Just accept you've got it wrong.
    A telling statistic is that France has about the same population as do we - and about 8m more households.
This discussion has been closed.