Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Will the quiet man be back and turning up the volume? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,760
    Eabhal said:

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

Is that the same IDS who has been encouraging violent protest against ULEZ cameras?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12458065/Sir-Iain-Smith-ULEZ-vandals-Tory-MP.html

How can you be violent against a camera?
    I was about to be glib then I realised you were making a point about whether the word "violent" can be directed against a non-living thing. I think it can, so I don't have a problem with the phrase.
    I am not sure that you can.
    I think planting a bomb counts as violent, regardless of whether anyone gets injured
    What about if you are legally destroying an unsafe derelict building?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,529

Eabhal said:

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

Is that the same IDS who has been encouraging violent protest against ULEZ cameras?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12458065/Sir-Iain-Smith-ULEZ-vandals-Tory-MP.html

I was about to be glib then I realised you were making a point about whether the word "violent" can be directed against a non-living thing. I think it can, so I don't have a problem with the phrase.
    I think planting a bomb counts as violent, regardless of whether anyone gets injured
    I would not class controlled explosive demolition as a 'bomb'. Both use explosives, but in very different ways. for one thing, controlled demolition has many, many small charges, not a single big one.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,938

Eabhal said:

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

That doesn't typically require an investigation by counter-terror police.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,391
    @faisalislam

Crowdstrike has lost a fifth of its value on pre-market trading on Nasdaq… currently down 21%

We expect to hear from them shortly…
  • TresTres Posts: 2,651

Scott_xP said:

@faisalislam

This concerning global IT outage - insiders say it arises because the security software gets high or “root” privileges which can then change the operating system.

Much of this appears to be from a faulty update to everyone’s root system by a cloud security provider…

major fail for cloud security “software as a service” boom industry, whose integration into highest levels of systems they are supposed to protect, appears to have brought them down globally.

Flip side, is should be straightforward to fix: “Boot in safe mode and delete a file”

My first instinct, as it was with the payments outage yesterday was that “this looks exactly like a cyber attack” esp given timing with big summit etc… industry insiders say it’s a “faulty update”

SWIFT’s problems yesterday did appear to be faulty update. I tend to be of the view that cockup over conspiracy will get you nine times out of ten
    I was at a gig at Alexandra Palace last night, the street food vendors payment systems kept falling over, blaming it on poor reception underneath the giant transmitter. I ate my entire chili bowl in the queue waiting to pay for it. Of course they couldn't accept cash..... {hides}
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

That's because of the intent to cause harm. A terrorist bomb that didn't harm anyone is an attemp at violence - it isn't violence because violence requires a victim.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,548
    As others have rightly pointed out, this is why redundancy matters, and why thinking "What if this fails?" is critical when drafting legislation or putting together rules. It's why cash is critical, and ID cards as the Grand Soviet Database is insane.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,415
    Is it true that with Microsoft software updates are compulsory, unlike Apple?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,425
    Scott_xP said:

@faisalislam

Crowdstrike has lost a fifth of its value on pre-market trading on Nasdaq… currently down 21%

With most of the other four-fifths about to disappear as the markets open.
  • FossFoss Posts: 911
    Andy_JS said:

This wasn't an MS update, it was a third party one.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,936
    edited July 19
    Nigelb said:

News to make Rishi perk up - and not a few PB posters quake - this morning.

Journalist told to pay damages for mocking Italian PM's height
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cnk41nnl125o

So Meloni's "Bercow" answer is "I'm Grumpy". *

Alternatively Uxbridge English Dictionary. "Meloni - like a melon".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/8159142/David-Cameron-makes-John-Bercow-dwarf-joke.html
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    Taz said:

Labours work from home plans will devastate the high street.

The vendors in Newcastle I have eaten at some of them in the Grainger Market. They are really good and many here are waiting for the 6,000 HMRC employees to move into the city.

https://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/other/keir-starmers-wfh-plans-will-turn-our-high-streets-into-ghost-towns/ar-BB1qeCzG?ocid=BingNewsSerp

Still, I guess there will be winners and losers in this.

The “plans” involve a presumption for flexible working to be accommodated as far as is “reasonable”. As an employment lawyer I can assure you that the word “reasonable”, which covers employment law like a pestilent rash, is wide enough to drive an oil tanker through. What is an is not “reasonable” constitutes much of what Employment Tribunals are required to decide. For example, one of the tests for unfair dismissal is whether a firing was “within the band of reasonable responses” open to an employer. Employers have to make “reasonable adjustments” for a disability. There are many others.

It may well be considered reasonable for HMRC workers to have to work in the office for confidentiality and network security reasons. No one knows yet.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,415
    "CrowdStrike is a US-based American cybersecurity firm that helps companies manage their security in "IT environments" — that is, everything they use an internet connection to access.

Its primary function is to protect companies and stop data breaches, ransomware and cyber attacks."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-07-19/what-is-crowdstrike-outage-explained/104120260

Eabhal said:

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

I would not class controlled explosive demolition as a 'bomb'. Both use explosives, but in very different ways. for one thing, controlled demolition has many, many small charges, not a single big one.
    You will have a license and all the rest for that.

Are Private Explosives Licenses still as lightly regulated as they used to be? Having a friend with one was always fun - far more interesting way of removing tree stumps than a stump grinder.

On PB my most likely candidate to hold one would be @Dura_Ace .
    It seems like there were 2 separate problems overnight

Apparently Microsoft did indeed hose their Azure US Central region, before Crowdstrike then bricked the Rest of the World
    Foss said:

Sandpit said:

biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

*CROWDSTRIKE SHARES DROP 13% AMID REPORTS OF MAJOR OUTAGE

It’s unlawful to give investment advice if not authorised to do so, but I’m not 100% sure myself that that’s the bottom of this market.
    Screaming buy, people will realise Crowdstrike is so contractually embedded it's easier to accept their apologies and assurances of non-recurrence than look elsewhere

There's a Dilbert about a product called Kwikprotect which uncannily predicts this scenario
    No chance. You don’t recover from this big a fcukup.
    They'll get bought and renamed to some stupid trademark friendly name and be back to being sold to the same people who have it now.
    Yes, one of the existing players in the security market will likely take them private for pennies on the dollar. Their IP is worth something.
    MattW said:

Eabhal said:

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

Are Private Explosives Licenses still as lightly regulated as they used to be? Having a friend with one was always fun - far more interesting way of removing tree stumps than a stump grinder.

Licence.
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,046
    MattW said:

Eabhal said:

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

I refer you to the life and work of Blaster Bates:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_Bates
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,891
    Foss said:

Sandpit said:

biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

It’s unlawful to give investment advice if not authorised to do so, but I’m not 100% sure myself that that’s the bottom of this market.
    Screaming buy, people will realise Crowdstrike is so contractually embedded it's easier to accept their apologies and assurances of non-recurrence than look elsewhere

There's a Dilbert about a product called Kwikprotect which uncannily predicts this scenario
    They'll get bought and renamed to some stupid trademark friendly name and be back to being sold to the same people who have it now.
    They've got a valuation currently around $65bn, and annual revenue (NOT profit) of a bit over $3bn.
    Who's going to be daft enough to shell out that kind of money ?
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,256
    viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

Dictionary says “violent” means “using or involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something”. The “or something” implies that, yes, you can be violent against a camera.
    Sandpit said:

Their IP is worth something.

Probably, although i say again their whole business model is now dirt

I think we might see divergence again, back to explicitly anti-virus (scanning code) separate from suspicious activity monitoring
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,524

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

Definition: Using or involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.
    @George_Kurtz
    CrowdStrike is actively working with customers impacted by a defect found in a single content update for Windows hosts. Mac and Linux hosts are not impacted. This is not a security incident or cyberattack. The issue has been identified, isolated and a fix has been deployed. We refer customers to the support portal for the latest updates and will continue to provide complete and continuous updates on our website. We further recommend organizations ensure they’re communicating with CrowdStrike representatives through official channels. Our team is fully mobilized to ensure the security and stability of CrowdStrike customers.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,801
    The real problem with something like CrowdStrike is not that bugs happen and can be serious, but that so much of the computing landscape is effectively a monoculture, or at least only has a few large vendors. So when something does go wrong the scale is usually large.

Another adjacent issue is that vendors like to sell subscriptions of bundled applications/services. So there's often a suite of applications/services, but with single installers, authentication, and management tools. This creates single points of failure that mean that when something goes wrong a large chunk of the customer base is impacted at once.

If you wanted to avoid incidents like today more vendor diversity and less bundling would likely do more good than merely trying to catch bugs sooner.
    Andy_JS said:

Yes. "I'll do it later after completing this life-saving procedure" is not an option with Windows.

MattW said:

Eabhal said:

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

Licence.
    Fair point.

I've listened to a Usonian podcast this morning. I'm being infiltrated.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442
    Sandpit said:

Foss said:

Sandpit said:

biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes, one of the existing players in the security market will likely take them private for pennies on the dollar. Their IP is worth something.
    Am I right to think they are now only down 3.X%?

glw said:

The real problem with something like CrowdStrike is not that bugs happen and can be serious, but that so much of the computing landscape is effectively a monoculture, or at least only has a few large vendors. So when something does go wrong the scale is usually large.

Yep

Monocultures make life easy, until you die
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,130
    edited July 19

Every PB thread I have ever written or published has been on an Apple device.

Never had any problems.

Erm, every pb thread you've published is accessed via a linux web server (c/o @rcs1000) hosted iirc by Rackspace which is in front of whatever Vanilla's infrastructure runs on, and Vanilla is behind the Cloudflare CDN. None of that lot runs on Apple.

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

Dictionary says “violent” means “using or involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something”. The “or something” implies that, yes, you can be violent against a camera.
    Then the word carries no weight. The operator of a pneumatic drill is inflicting violence on the road.

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

That's because of the intent to cause harm. A terrorist bomb that didn't harm anyone is an attemp at violence - it isn't violence because violence requires a victim.
    What if they were only intending to cause economic damage? I remember https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Staples_Corner_bombing , because the explosion woke me up!
    Scott_xP said:

@George_Kurtz
    CrowdStrike is actively working with customers impacted by a defect found in a single content update for Windows hosts. Mac and Linux hosts are not impacted. This is not a security incident or cyberattack. The issue has been identified, isolated and a fix has been deployed. We refer customers to the support portal for the latest updates and will continue to provide complete and continuous updates on our website. We further recommend organizations ensure they’re communicating with CrowdStrike representatives through official channels. Our team is fully mobilized to ensure the security and stability of CrowdStrike customers.

Talk about a mealy-mouthed quote, that translates into their customers needing to expect billions of dollars in order to recover their system bricked by their own incompetence.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,553
    Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Hope none of the rest of PB is using Crowdstrike antivirus software, because they just managed to crash millions of computers all at once.

https://x.com/jeffmorgannz/status/1814165693883105695

Think of your poor IT guy, when you’re in the pub watching the cricket.

I own a few Crowdstrike shares.

I guess I can write that off now.
    Yup!

We have a three-year contract with them signed six months ago, and my boss wants it gone by the end of the month.
    Crowdstrike won't make this mistake again.

Managers say things in the heat of the moment. Give the boss a couple of days, wait until they ask for something else and say "should I prioritize this or do I need to get the antivirus switch sorted first?" Then wait a couple of months and ask if you can close the ticket.

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

There's also the possible further problems it causes to bystanders or eg someone waiting to cross the road.

The problem the IRA had with planting bombs in public spaces. "We'll disrupt the enemy", and then you blow up a 9 year old throwing away a sweet wrapper.
    Andy_JS said:

No

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

What if they were only intending to cause economic damage? I remember https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Staples_Corner_bombing , because the explosion woke me up!
    Then fraud would be a violent crime. All harm isn't violent.
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 285

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

So in conclusion then, the idiots that used a homemade bomb to destroy a ULEZ camera (and could have seriously injured/killed people) should have been prosecuted for terrorist offences?
    Based on precedent set yesterday for non-violent protest, sentenced to life without parole if convicted.
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

@George_Kurtz

Talk about a mealy-mouthed quote, that translates into their customers needing to expect billions of dollars in order to recover their system bricked by their own incompetence.
    Our Windows server admin team are currently logging on to every system Worldwide and changing the name of the Crowdstrike directory. As some of the servers are physical, this is a non-trivial task
    Nigelb said:

Foss said:

Sandpit said:

biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

They've got a valuation currently around $65bn, and annual revenue (NOT profit) of a bit over $3bn.
    Who's going to be daft enough to shell out that kind of money ?
    The IBM hard drive division spent the early 00s building self polishing drives (a bad thing). In 2003 that division was sold off to Hitachi where it had a very successful run before being acquired by Western Digital.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

Sandpit said:

Foss said:

Sandpit said:

biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

Am I right to think they are now only down 3.X%?

That's where they closed yesterday. Off 20% pre market today
    edited July 19

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Hope none of the rest of PB is using Crowdstrike antivirus software, because they just managed to crash millions of computers all at once.

https://x.com/jeffmorgannz/status/1814165693883105695

Think of your poor IT guy, when you’re in the pub watching the cricket.

I own a few Crowdstrike shares.

I guess I can write that off now.
    Yup!

We have a three-year contract with them signed six months ago, and my boss wants it gone by the end of the month.
    Crowdstrike won't make this mistake again.

Managers say things in the heat of the moment. Give the boss a couple of days, wait until they ask for something else and say "should I prioritize this or do I need to get the antivirus switch sorted first?" Then wait a couple of months and ask if you can close the ticket.
    Nope.

I’ve no intention of continuing with them after today, and yes I know they’re unlikely to ever do the same thing again. I’ll also take a guess that our own insurance will require moving away from them.

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

Then the word carries no weight. The operator of a pneumatic drill is inflicting violence on the road.
    The Court of Appeal ruled that toppling the Edward Colston statue was a “violent act”: https://www.theartnewspaper.com/2022/09/30/uk-court-of-appeal-rules-colston-statue-toppling-a-violent-actbut-protestors-still-not-guilty So, it’s you against the Courts on this one.
    glw said:

Another adjacent issue is that vendors like to sell subscriptions of bundled applications/services. So there's often a suite of applications/services, but with single installers, authentication, and management tools. This creates single points of failure that mean that when something goes wrong a large chunk of the customer base is impacted at once.

If you wanted to avoid incidents like today more vendor diversity and less bundling would likely do more good than merely trying to catch bugs sooner.

As an operator of the same Ubuntu thing that everybody else is running I'd like to thank whoever is still running Windows servers in the Year of our Lord 2024 for doing their bit for vendor diversity.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,455
    Dopermean said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

So in conclusion then, the idiots that used a homemade bomb to destroy a ULEZ camera (and could have seriously injured/killed people) should have been prosecuted for terrorist offences?
    Based on precedent set yesterday for non-violent protest, sentenced to life without parole if convicted.
    It's a maximum of ten years but yes sauce for the goose and gander and all that.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,938
    edited July 19
    Dopermean said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

The precedent set was for people organising the protest - they were jailed for attending a zoom meeting. So anyone in those anti-ULEZ Facebook groups organising (or perhaps even encouraging?) the vandalism could be in peril.
    edited July 19
    Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

@George_Kurtz

Our Windows server admin team are currently logging on to every system Worldwide and changing the name of the Crowdstrike directory. As some of the servers are physical, this is a non-trivial task
    Yup. I’m that admin team for my employer. Thankfully we’re mostly virtual for the servers.

The desktops, on the other hand…
    Scott_xP said:

It seems like there were 2 separate problems overnight

Apparently Microsoft did indeed hose their Azure US Central region, before Crowdstrike then bricked the Rest of the World

And there will have been other outages unrelated to either. Deliveroo was down for a couple of hours yesterday, and this morning I made several failed attempts to pay a bill online, spread over several hours, and eventually succeeded by using a different browser so I suspect a coding error (and that the QA department was laid off to save money during the Covid pandemic).
    Dopermean said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

Reading up about it, a distinction is drawn around the degree of chaos / breadth of disruption to be caused, and intention / recklessness.

The law is also widely drawn, and a lot of advice has come from eg the Law Commission on the importance of "not overcharging" and making sure that lower level offences are not more appropriate.

The Appeal on the JSO case will be extremely interesting.

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

Then fraud would be a violent crime. All harm isn't violent.
    I didn’t say all harm was violent. I’m saying that the Staples Corner bomb seems to most people to constitute violence, even though no-one was physically harmed and there was no attempt to physically harm anyone.
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

@George_Kurtz

Yup. I’m that admin team for my employer.
    Apologies to anyone currently expecting a plane but the admin is busy posting on pb.
    Foss said:

The IBM hard drive division spent the early 00s building self polishing drives (a bad thing). In 2003 that division was sold off to Hitachi where it had a very successful run before being acquired by Western Digital.

The Hitachi Deskstar drives are in my experience the most reliable drives ever sold
    Sandpit said:

Yup. I’m that admin team for my employer. Thankfully we’re mostly virtual for the servers.

From our server team lead

"Haven't heard how bad desktop/laptop is but i'm sure it's a shitshow"
    edited July 19
    Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

In my domain it’s around 50% bricked, that will all need to be fixed manually and in person.

Starting with the CEO and working down from there. It’s going to involve flights.

Andy_JS said:

Yes. "I'll do it later after completing this life-saving procedure" is not an option with Windows.
    That's not quite true. Windows updates and reboots can be restricted to particular time windows, and controlled even further by corporate IT departments. For ordinary people like us, it might depend on whether you have the Home or Pro version.
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

In my domain it’s around 50% bricked, that will all need to be fixed manually and in person.
    One of the fixes is boot into safe mode and delete the file. Ummm, local users don't have sufficient privilege to do that, because "security"...

I don't know if the help desks can remote into machines in safe mode

Just had my first meeting of the day cancelled because of Crowdstrike, so it's not all bad
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,546
    Biden drifting right out for nominee since I last looked.

I have just taken a partial cash-out for nominee on BF so only now lose a few £ if it is Biden, but still win big on Kamala and very big on three or four other names that have been in the frame.

Wild times on BF!!!
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,777

Eabhal said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Something the French get right.

https://www.banque-france.fr/en/monetary-strategy/means-of-payment/national-cash-management-policy/acceptability

"The Banque de France guarantees cash acceptability

The Banque de France ensures the acceptability of cash, which is the first pillar of the National Cash Management Policy. It notably ensures that banknotes are accepted as legal tender and that they remain a secure and lasting means of payment.

Cash is legal tender in France. It is a criminal offence to refuse it in a transaction, although there are exceptions. The fact that cash is legal tender guarantees that everyone has the freedom to choose how they wish to pay. Euro banknotes and coins must therefore be available to the public at all times and universally accepted, as they are often the only means of payment possible for the most financially vulnerable. The Banque de France provides a banknote and coin supply and collection service for private individuals free of charge."

Legal tender is about payment of a debt and cash is legal tender in the UK too.
    Yes, of course, but the ordinary meaning of legal tender in the ordinary mind is that you are allowed to use it for payment. Whereas in UK it is lawful to refuse payment in that form and require it in another. This may be sensible for buying a house but less so for buying a newspaper. The use of cash up to a certain amount in face to face transactions should be both permitted in all cases.
    Worth remembering that there are already limits on cash payments in coinage. You can only use 50p coins up to a value for £10, for example.
    That's not true. 50p coins are legal tender up to £10, which means that if you use 50p coins to settle a £10 debt the lender has to accept them. You can in fact use as many 50p coins as the lender/vendor is prepared to accept
    Legal tender is slightly different in the UK aiui - it's not that people have to accept it, it's that they can't chase you for not paying if you offer it they you refuse it. You also have to offer the exact amount asked because you can't demand change.

At least that's according to the Royal Mint's website.

https://www.royalmint.com/aboutus/policies-and-guidelines/legal-tender-guidelines/

I think, as usual, our way is better than the Frogs as their approach is ridiculously heavy handed (though probably rarely enforced). Giving someone a criminal record for refusing payment is totally OTT.

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

@George_Kurtz

Yup. I’m that admin team for my employer.
    Apologies to anyone currently expecting a plane but the admin is busy posting on pb.
    I know we joke about it, but I saw the Crowdstrike news here before I saw it on my corporate machine
    Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

One of the fixes is boot into safe mode and delete the file. Ummm, local users don't have sufficient privilege to do that, because "security"...

Just had my first meeting of the day cancelled because of Crowdstrike, so it's not all bad
    For most computers, safe mode requires a local admin account, not a domain account. No support tools such as TeamViewer available. Total sh!t-show. Crowdstrike have literally bricked millions of computers.
    edited July 19
    Eabhal said:

Dopermean said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

The precedent set was for people organising the protest - they were jailed for attending a zoom meeting. So anyone in those anti-ULEZ Facebook groups organising (or perhaps even encouraging?) the vandalism could be in peril.
    Not quite, Lord Copper - I think that's a little imprecise.

They were jailed for "conspiracy intentionally to cause a public nuisance" - the zoom meeting was the mechanism, like a phone call or meeting in a pub, where aiui the leaders set up the foot soldiers.

I'm not sure what he word is for the equivalent in organised crime.

People organising vandalism in anti-ULEZ facebook groups could be compared to them, yes, imo.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,801
    Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

Good news: There's a fix.
    Bad news: You will need to get the BitLocker recovery keys to each of your users.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,548
    The talk of monocultures reminds me of the Theodosian Walls of Constantinople. Nigh on invincible (*cough*4thCrusade*cough*) but when cannons got sufficiently developed the Eastern Roman goose was cooked.

Still, worked with only a single failure for around a thousand years. Not a bad investment.
    Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

@George_Kurtz

Well, it is trivial but labour intensive. I guess they need to log in via the oob console network which is not automated.

Phone up your server admin team and tell them to prioritise payroll over production!

Phone up your server admin team and tell them to prioritise payroll over production!

Assuming we didn't outsource our payroll to a 3rd party, who run Windows and Crowdstrike...
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,402

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

Thinking of the printer scene from Office Space...

I have just taken a partial cash-out for nominee on BF so only now lose a few £ if it is Biden, but still win big on Kamala and very big on three or four other names that have been in the frame.

Wild times on BF!!!

Good point. I should probably cash out on Kamala and friends in case they end up nominating someone I've never heard of, let alone backed.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 19
    This is a complete shitshow, yet telegraph mail and PB are working normally on my phone and microsoft laptop and vpn happily working on business system.

Today the tide has gone out and we get to see whos genetalia are not clad in suitable garments.

PS - Congratulations @rcs1000 on being suitably clad
    glw said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Sandpit said:

Good news: There's a fix.
    Bad news: You will need to get the BitLocker recovery keys to each of your users.
    What is the spread on companies who cannot access their Bitlocker keys because they are stored on servers that are themselves down, or because the last person who remembers where they are stashed retired when Boris was still prime minister? Companies whose servers are thus unrecoverable.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,608

Never had any problems.

Erm, every pb thread you've published is accessed via a linux web server (c/o @rcs1000) hosted iirc by Rackspace which is in front of whatever Vanilla's infrastructure runs on, and Vanilla is behind the Cloudflare CDN. None of that lot runs on Apple.
    When I press the publish button it is done on an Apple device (Macbook, iPad, or iPhone.)
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,657
    This is Biden just 3.5 years ago:

https://x.com/yashar/status/1814075868421177532

What is the spread on companies who cannot access their Bitlocker keys because they are stored on servers that are themselves down, or because the last person who remembers where they are stashed retired when Boris was still prime minister? Companies whose servers are thus unrecoverable.

Hey, John, when did we last test recovery from the backups?
  • LDLFLDLF Posts: 157
    edited July 19
    The Tories should certainly take their time with their next leadership race. The last election presented an existential problem, with their vote share plummeting.

To use insensitive terms: the centrist dads and midwits decamped en masse to Labour and the Lib Dems, while the gammons and deplorables have been monopolised by Reform. That's pretty much every middle-aged opinionated male in the country spoken for, and they need to win some of those voters back if they want any hope of surviving.

I am in agreement with those who consider the voters who fled to Labour (and to a lesser extent the Lib Dems) to be more important. Not only is this true in parliamentary terms, but tacking to appeal to Reform cuts off appeal to the voters lost to the other parties, while trying to gain Labour/Lib Dem voters does not necessarily lose Reform voters.
  • DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 660
    We might be about to get Michelle Obama/Joe Biden crossover :D

The talk of monocultures reminds me of the Theodosian Walls of Constantinople. Nigh on invincible (*cough*4thCrusade*cough*) but when cannons got sufficiently developed the Eastern Roman goose was cooked.

Still, worked with only a single failure for around a thousand years. Not a bad investment.

Just at the moment Crowdstrike is the modern equivalent of a plague-ridden cadaver delivered by trebuchet.

This is Biden just 3.5 years ago:

https://x.com/yashar/status/1814075868421177532

Yep. A world of difference.

This needs to be finished. He's done his bit and done it well imho. But the torch has to be handed on now.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,608

Does anyone know where the closest poorhouse to Sheffield is?

Just at the moment Crowdstrike is the modern equivalent of a plague-ridden cadaver delivered by trebuchet.
    What a brilliant compliment to plague-ridden cadavers delivered by trebuchet.

Crowdstrike is a lot worse than that.

The call is coming from inside the house.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,455
    My home windows PC was "updating" when I left for work this morning. It doesn't have any crowdstrike on it - will it be OK ?
    Pulpstar said:

My home windows PC was "updating" when I left for work this morning. It doesn't have any crowdstrike on it - will it be OK ?

Most likely yes.
    edited July 19

Never had any problems.

When I press the publish button it is done on an Apple device (Macbook, iPad, or iPhone.)
    Using a browsing engine originally developed for Linux :wink:

(True, at least in the original lineage although I doubt there's much original code left now! Not quite sure of the point of this OS/vendor fight. I post on here from Windows, Linux and Android, using Firefox, Chrome and Falkon - who cares?)
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,790

Wild times on BF!!!

Good point. I should probably cash out on Kamala and friends in case they end up nominating someone I've never heard of, let alone backed.
    I've greened up on the Potus market, but letting it ride on the nominee market.

C'mon Kamala!

A ‘plague-ridden cadaver delivered by trebuchet’ is an artisanal problem and thus probably preferable.
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Most likely yes.
    But left extremely vulnerable to all the threats crowdstrike protects from :wink:

As an aside, I guess Crowdstrike will be able to boast that no systems with Crowdstrike on have suffered malware infections today :smiley:
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,106
    Fans of cash will note that today's world is apparently full of 'cash only' signs. Wetherspoons, Morrisons, Waterstones etc are all being posted.
    algarkirk said:

Fans of cash will note that today's world is apparently full of 'cash only' signs. Wetherspoons, Morrisons, Waterstones etc are all being posted.

I'm not a 'fan' of cash - I use cards for almost everything. But cash can be very useful as an emergency backup occasionally. Like today... ;)
    Selebian said:

Never had any problems.

Using a browsing engine originally developed for Linux :wink:

(True, at least in the original lineage although I doubt there's much original code left now! Not quite sure of the point of this OS/vendor fight. I post on here from Windows, Linux and Android, using Firefox, Chrome and Falkon - who cares?)
    Bah. Not RISC OS? ;)
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,891

Does anyone know where the closest poorhouse to Sheffield is?
    Better not be Michelle O.
    I renewed my short again.
    Selebian said:

As an aside, I guess Crowdstrike will be able to boast that no systems with Crowdstrike on have suffered malware infections today :smiley:

Bad actors try really hard to persuade people to install malware on their systems using various social engineering techniques.

Crowdstrike did it by charging huge amounts of money...
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,108
    Andy_JS said:

Today's the day we find out who's silly enough not to have installed any back-up systems.

Today is the day somebody got a taxi to the shop, bought a memory stick and charger, came back, disabled the WiFi, started the PC, copied everything to memory stick, emailed all my colleagues and reset appointments to later today/Monday, and should be back to normal by 1pm. And then I'll go to lunch. 😎

Never had any problems.

Yes but publishing is not done in isolation. In order to access pb, many other systems are involved, as listed earlier. It's like the Global Financial Crisis, caused because all the banks are intermeshed. No man is an island, entire of itself.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,108
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

@faisalislam

With most of the other four-fifths about to disappear as the markets open.
    ..or when they can start their PCs 😎
    Off-topic:

It turns out I bent my rear mech hanger when I came off my bike at slow speed yesterday. (*) It's still ridable (I rode on for another fifteen miles after the off), but the chain comes off if I try to put it onto the largest cog. I hoped it was just the indexing of the gears, or grit in the system, but a thorough clean shows the hanger is bent. Another new thing I'm going to have to learn to do - and as I'm mechanically dyslexic, it's going to be fun...

(*) On a new temporary (3 year) path the road builders have put in to replace a tarmac path. But they made it from sand and fine gravel, and it's already flooded in places and boggy in others, despite only being open for a week. Not a good replacement IMO, and will be terrible in winter.
    Foxy said:

Wild times on BF!!!

I've greened up on the Potus market, but letting it ride on the nominee market.

C'mon Kamala!
    I'll happily take Kamala betting wise, but would be even more over the moon with Klobucher. Enormous win by my standards.

Off-topic:

It turns out I bent my rear mech hanger when I came off my bike at slow speed yesterday. (*) It's still ridable (I rode on for another fifteen miles after the off), but the chain comes off if I try to put it onto the largest cog. I hoped it was just the indexing of the gears, or grit in the system, but a thorough clean shows the hanger is bent. Another new thing I'm going to have to learn to do - and as I'm mechanically dyslexic, it's going to be fun...

(*) On a new temporary (3 year) path the road builders have put in to replace a tarmac path. But they made it from sand and fine gravel, and it's already flooded in places and boggy in others, despite only being open for a week. Not a good replacement IMO, and will be terrible in winter.

Our council claims to be testing a new tarmac system.
    Ladbrokes and Coral affected by ongoing global IT outage with Sky Sports Racing unable to broadcast live content
    https://www.racingpost.com/news/britain/ladbrokes-and-coral-among-those-affected-by-ongoing-global-it-outage-azInq6I6hcBA/

Ladbrokes and Coral affected by ongoing global IT outage with Sky Sports Racing unable to broadcast live content
    https://www.racingpost.com/news/britain/ladbrokes-and-coral-among-those-affected-by-ongoing-global-it-outage-azInq6I6hcBA/

Seriously amazed that Sky didn’t have at least two broadcasters.

Off-topic:

I've tended to just replace in similar circumstances. Never had much luck with straightening them for long.
This discussion has been closed.