Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Suella the martyr (ruder nouns are available) – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,208

Larry Sabato
    @LarrySabato
    Like it or not, that's the end of that. Biden-Harris it is for Dems. Legally, Biden has the high ground--he has to agree to step aside and he is clearly not going to do so.

https://x.com/LarrySabato/status/1810321569287188541

James Carville: "Mark my words: Joe Biden is going to be out of the 2024 presidential race. Whether he is ready to admit it or not."

One of them is going to be right I guess!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,376
    edited July 9

Elena Schneider
    @ec_schneider
    ·
    3h
    New AARP poll of Wisconsin, taken after debate.

Trump: 44 (+6pts)
    Biden: 38
    RFK: 9

https://x.com/ec_schneider/status/1810676365835784347

In Biden vs. Trump head-to-head, ie no third party candidates -->

Trump: 50 (+5)
    Biden: 45

I hope the US polling is better than ours. That could be anything between Trump +13 and Biden +3 if you assume the same error margins we just had
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,277

@TSE "Imagine getting triggered by a flag."

Have a walk down the Falls Road with a Union Flag, wander through the peace gate then swap it for a Tricola and head back into town via the Shankhill Road.

Make sure you nominate someone to advised which hospitals intensive care ward you will be in before you go

That's nothing, I went to a wedding where the groom was a Catholic from Norn Iron replete with family.

I wore a brown suit that under the lights veered from looking red to orange.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,792
    malcolmg said:

Nandy: 'The era of culture wars is over'

Are you listening, Suella?

Nanady is as thick as was thought I see.
    It's such a weird statement.

I know Labour are giddy about winning, but back on planet Earth what can we see? Reform came third on 14% beating the Lib Dems, 37% of the French electorate voted for the far-right, and Trump is beating Biden in the polls. How anyone would see that and think "the era of culture wars is over" is beyond me, they sure as hell don't have much political sense.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,476
    Braverman has the significant disadvantage to her personal advancement of being (a) nasty and sneering rather than considered and thoughtful and (b) a duplicitous untrustworthy colleague.

Whatever views she may be representing (and here she has clearly overstepped the mark) she has shown herself incapable of doing so without resorting to hateful and inflammatory invective. Sell her. The MPs aren’t putting her through to the membership and I suspect she’ll flounce to REFUK or get the whip withdrawn before long.

Elena Schneider
    @ec_schneider
    ·
    3h

For the last 6 months or so I've felt like one of those people who saw the tide receding before the Indian Ocean tsunami. You can see big trouble headed our way but nobody seems to be preparing. Trump in the White House again is going to cause a lot of problems for us.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252

Have a walk down the Falls Road with a Union Flag, wander through the peace gate then swap it for a Tricola and head back into town via the Shankhill Road.

Make sure you nominate someone to advised which hospitals intensive care ward you will be in before you go

That's nothing, I went to a wedding where the groom was a Catholic from Norn Iron replete with family.

Did you ask for Cheddar Cheese with Pineapple on a stick?
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,476
    glw said:

malcolmg said:

I know Labour are giddy about winning, but back on planet Earth what can we see? Reform came third on 14% beating the Lib Dems, 37% of the French electorate voted for the far-right, and Trump is beating Biden in the polls. How anyone would see that and think "the era of culture wars is over" is beyond me, they sure as hell don't have much political sense.
    I’ll cut her some slack, we’re in honeymoon period and I’m sure it’s all very nice to think a magic wand can be waved and everything will go according to her wishes. Every government does this for a while. Reality will hit soon.
    538:

Trump +2.1 in average poll of polls.

glw said:

malcolmg said:

I’ll cut her some slack, we’re in honeymoon period and I’m sure it’s all very nice to think a magic wand can be waved and everything will go according to her wishes. Every government does this for a while. Reality will hit soon.
    Judging by the polls it is going to hit on November 5th 2024.
    “The 1922 competency levels have reached a new low which is saying something. This was bent!”

Mark Francois furious he couldn’t vote in election of 1922 chair.

Like Edward Leigh & Jeremy Hunt he wasn’t allowed to vote. Election ended even though MPs were told voting 5-6pm

NEW: Bob Blackman is new 1922 committee chairman

Results:
    Blackman - 61
    Clifton-Brown - 37

https://x.com/joepike/status/1810720899319865762
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,463
    edited July 9
    Roger said:

Not a great day for JK Rowling either. If you tether your cart to an incontinent horse who knows what you'll get sprayed with

I haven’t been keeping up, to which incontinent horse did the great ginger one tether her wagon in the end? I assume even Labour were unwilling to be so supine as to give in to all her territorial demands.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,558
    I hope she is doomed.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,876

“The 1922 competency levels have reached a new low which is saying something. This was bent!”

Like Edward Leigh & Jeremy Hunt he wasn’t allowed to vote. Election ended even though MPs were told voting 5-6pm

Results:
    Blackman - 61
    Clifton-Brown - 37

Bob Blackman will be the new Sir Graham?

Hopefully we won't be seeing as much of him as we did Sir Graham in the next few years.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,416

Nigelb said:

Taz said:

Being antiwoke did little for the Tories in the last election. She should learn her lesson. Most people just don’t care either way. Who really cares that the self scan handsets at Sainsburys have a pride flag on or you can get Halal meat there. It is an issue that causes great emotions on either extreme of the debate. Most people are live and let live.

I posted this, very much in the same vein, on the previous thread.
    Luke Tryl, showing remarkable restraint, politely suggests to the Tories why they should consign Braverman's politics to the waste bin, and what they should instead focus on:
    https://x.com/LukeTryl/status/1810576343941128529
    ..People don’t bring up the progress flag in focus groups. People don’t know what it is & they find it baffling politicians focus on this stuff. It’s also a clear case of politicians confusing people being “eye rolly” about things with wanting politicians to dedicate time to them...

The entire thread is worth a read, as it's good advice to UK politicians.
    Notable of course, that Braverman gave her unpleasant remarks to a more receptive US conservative audience.
    There isn't a receptive UK Conservative audience for her.

Outside of Reform.
    Oh, I suspect there is, including the PCP. And if Sue Ellen (or Jenrick) are offered to the membership hands would be bitten off.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,520

Results:
    Blackman - 61
    Clifton-Brown - 37

Isn't 61 the winning post with 121 MPs?
  • eekeek Posts: 27,298
    edited July 9
    Sarah Sackman has been appointed Solicitor General - TSE will be pleased that a lawyer who attended Cambridge has got such an important role given she was only elected on Friday.

Sensibly her first degree (from Cambridge) was in History not Law...
    mwadams said:

Results:
    Blackman - 61
    Clifton-Brown - 37

Yup, it is why it wasn't rerun.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,438

Roger said:

Not a great day for JK Rowling either. If you tether your cart to an incontinent horse who knows what you'll get sprayed with

I haven’t been keeping up, to which incontinent horse did the great ginger one tether her wagon in the end? I assume even Labour were unwilling to be so supine as to give in to all her territorial demands.
    Puzzled me too as she is a great friend of Mr Brown, I believe. Presumably this (so no longer the Labour horse (c) Low):

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/07/08/jk-rowling-anneliese-dodds-define-woman-labour/
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,520

mwadams said:

Results:
    Blackman - 61
    Clifton-Brown - 37

So what are they cross about? I am clearly missing something.
    mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Results:
    Blackman - 61
    Clifton-Brown - 37

Because they couldn't vote and can't do a simple maths division....
    edited July 9
    eek said:

Sarah Sackman has been appointed Solicitor General - TSE will be pleased that a lawyer who attended Cambridge has got such an important role given she was only elected on Friday.

edit ignore.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,349
    mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Results:
    Blackman - 61
    Clifton-Brown - 37

It's Mark Francois. He has to be cross about something, or he will die.

Good job these people aren't involved in running the country, isn't it?
    mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Results:
    Blackman - 61
    Clifton-Brown - 37

Me too. It's Tory party policy to ensure a small but non-trivial number of people can't vote because stupid reasons.

That's actually not far off the percentage that happened in the GE. So why are they complaining?

eek said:

She's terrible, she used to be a Labour candidate/
    She's a Labour MP in a very safe seat...

The culture wars are over. Thank goodness.

Let's move on.

Are they?

There are still genuine issues around womens rights and womens safe spaces and womens sport that need to be resolved.

Just because a lot of men say it's over doesn't mean it is?

*EDAM*, Edam, pleeeease.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,493

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

EXC: Braverman campaign dealt a hammer blow as her longtime mentor - who ran her last leadership tilt - abandons her.

Sir John Hayes has offered his services to Robert Jenrick’s bid…

https://x.com/MrHarryCole/status/1810709659344417046

It does look like it's lining up to be Jenrick vs Tugenhadt.

Two that make Starmer look like Mr Charisma.
    They're the equivalents of Peter Lilley and Michael Ancram from previous contests.
    They really are both spectacularly shit.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,927

Let's move on.

To misquote Trotsky, You may not be interested in the culture war, but the culture war is interested in you
    eek said:

eek said:

Ignore me.

I misread your comment.

For some obsessives.

The Attorney General and Solicitor General are now both Jewish.
    viewcode said:

Let's move on.

To misquote Trotsky, You may not be interested in the culture war, but the culture war is interested in you
    That reminds me, I must make a Statement: we are having tofu stir-fry for dinner.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxpYW_w5pgo&t=1s
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,880
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

What a horrible comment
    It's a clear reference to my comment in the header.

The way Suella Braverman is acting is like soiling yourself in public, it’ll give you a warm feeling but disgust everyone else.
    Joe Biden fans please take note…
    Isn't it Trump in the special nappies?

https://news.sky.com/story/donald-trump-supporters-wear-nappies-13129050
    American politics has deteriorated to the point that we can meaningfully argue about which of the two major candidates poos their pants more often. I am not reassured by this.
    Both might do that, and one is an aspiring authoritarian with a court that says that's fine, so it's still easy for me, but the American public is a bit more conflicted.
    mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Results:
    Blackman - 61
    Clifton-Brown - 37

Apparently the problems have tainted the result so it must be re-run.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,349
    GIN1138 said:

Let's move on.

Are they?

There are still genuine issues around womens rights and womens safe spaces and womens sport that need to be resolved.

There's an important difference, though.

Until last Thursday, absolutists had the ear of government. Now, the have the ear of... not nobody at all, but certainly nobodies. That changes the dynamics.
  • AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,415

You'd mostly just get laughed at by people unless you were a known troublemaker. If you made a big enough fuss about it, you'd get someone coming up to find out what you're about and at that point they'd almost certainly advise you to stop being a dick.

You'd be wise to heed their advice - but if you don't, the worst that would happen to an outsider is that the fleg would be taken off you.

Certainly, no-one would react by jetting off to Washington to whinge and cry about how "physically repulsed" they were by it all.

PS. It's a tricolour, not a tricola. No-one on the Shankill will give a flying fuck if you use a sentence in three parts.

GIN1138 said:

Let's move on.

Are they?

Until last Thursday, absolutists had the ear of government. Now, the have the ear of... not nobody at all, but certainly nobodies. That changes the dynamics.
    How long before we're talking about Sir Keir's "womens problem" ? ;)
    AlsoLei said:

You'd mostly just get laughed at by people unless you were a known troublemaker. If you made a big enough fuss about it, you'd get someone coming up to find out what you're about and at that point they'd almost certainly advise you to stop being a dick.

You'd be wise to heed their advice - but if you don't, the worst that would happen to an outsider is that the fleg would be taken off you.

Certainly, no-one would react by jetting off to Washington to whinge and cry about how "physically repulsed" they were by it all.

PS. It's a tricolour, not a tricola. No-one on the Shankill will give a flying fuck if you use a sentence in three parts.
    I beg to differ. It is eminently reasonable for Mr Beds to carry a tricola along the Shankill, though it might melt before he gets to the peace gate (though the locals wouldn't care either).

https://www.liv247.shop/products/igloo-hyperloop-tricola-ice-cream-75ml
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

eek said:

eek said:

Ignore me.

I misread your comment.

For some obsessives.

As are the PM (at least by marriage) and both two finalists for the US embassy gig. I wonder what Trump will make of it.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,574
    glw said:

Elena Schneider
    @ec_schneider
    ·
    3h

For the last 6 months or so I've felt like one of those people who saw the tide receding before the Indian Ocean tsunami. You can see big trouble headed our way but nobody seems to be preparing. Trump in the White House again is going to cause a lot of problems for us.
    I'm not so sure. I think Trumps agenda is dangerous for the USA, as that is where his revenge fantasies get played out, and bad for Ukraine too.

But us? I don't think we matter much to him, and while I expect Starmer will work with Trump, as indeed any PM has to. Most likely speed a realignment towards out friends on the Continent.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,244
    eek said:

eek said:

Finchley & Golders Green? Not really.

Anyway, Sackman's is a good appointment - she's certainly been fast-tracked, as a new MP. Emily Thornberry may be even more dischuffed now.
    Sackman's expertise is in planning law and housing, so it makes sense. We could even have a coherent government.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637

eek said:

eek said:

Ignore me.

I misread your comment.

For some obsessives.

As are the PM (at least by marriage) and both two finalists for the US embassy gig. I wonder what Trump will make of it.
    Is he also female by marriage?

mwadams said:

mwadams said:

Results:
    Blackman - 61
    Clifton-Brown - 37

It's Mark Francois. He has to be cross about something, or he will die.

Good job these people aren't involved in running the country, isn't it?
    Considering the number of retirees and the number of seats the Tories lost, a disproportionate number of whack jobs retained their seats.

eek said:

eek said:

Ignore me.

I misread your comment.

For some obsessives.

Many years ago I fell down the MAGA rabbit hole and basically some of the MAGA mob well they didn't want Ivanka anywhere near the White House because she has married a Jew.
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 387
    edited July 9
    Can we just take a moment to congratulate the new MP for Stratford-on-avon for having the best name of any MP?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratford-on-Avon_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,673
    edited July 9
    Done already.

Roger said:

Negotiations between Starmer and the Rowlingistes were temporarily broken off when the Starmerites took control of the government quarter. Pro-Rowling forces are regrouping in strategic locations in Washington and elsewhere.

(narrator. It was the Communist Party of Britain. They did not reciprocate.)
    GIN1138 said:

Results:
    Blackman - 61
    Clifton-Brown - 37

Bob Blackman will be the new Sir Graham?

Hopefully we won't be seeing as much of him as we did Sir Graham in the next few years.
    Shame, although Bob Blackman-old lady doesn't rhyme.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,941
    kyf_100 said:

Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

kyf_100 said:

Suella first defection to Reform?

Would they want her?
    Would she want to go there? She can hardly try to take it over, considering it's literally owned by Farage.
    I think a) they would want her, as high-profile defections from the Conservatives suits their narrative. Much like the Corbyn fanatics in 2017 were convinced it would only take one more push (or putsch, in Farage's case) to win, so too the hard right think they lost by being insufficiently right wing enough. See Rees Mogg's comments today about reform voters being part of the wider 'Conservative family'.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more defections to Reform if the Conservatives go with a moderate as leader. Suella might be the first of a few. Farage knows he's never going to take over the Tory party so his only option is to flip them and become the main right wing opposition in 2029. Every defection will help that narrative.

And b), Suella would want to join Reform as she knows she's not going to be Con leader either, and she'll get a great deal more airtime as Farage's (far) right hand man.

I'd want to see more evidence that Reform voters really do want woke wars about gay flags and are not primarily motivated by economic factors (and are still waiting for levelling up) delivered with a side helping of basic competence.

Suella Braverman has called it wrong, imo, and so have JRM and even Farage himself.

Can we just take a moment to congratulate the new MP for Stratford-on-avon for having the best name?

She's no Seymour Cocks.
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Let's move on.

Are they?

How long before we're talking about Sir Keir's "womens problem" ? ;)
    Five minutes. :)
    EPG said:

eek said:

eek said:

Ignore me.

I misread your comment.

For some obsessives.

I consider myself working class by marriage.
    Carnyx said:

*EDAM*, Edam, pleeeease.

EDAM?

I have made a legitimate and peaceful request for cheddar cheese and pineapple on a stick.

For hundreds of years, my community has enjoyed cheddar cheese and pineapple on a stick.

And today, you have been seen to trample our demands contemptuouslyunto the mud
    viewcode said:

meanwhile in Iran...

• YouTube: How a Reformist Won Iran's Presidential Election, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN_HAFigqDM
    • Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Iranian_presidential_election
    • AI Summary: Iran has elected a reformist president, Massud Pesan, in a competitive election, marking the first reformist president in two decades. Pesan's victory was supported by major reformist groups and notable figures, including former reformist president Muhammad Katami and moderate former president Hassan Ruhani. Pesan's policy platform includes stopping the requirement for Iranian women to wear the hijab and improving relations with the West. However, many Iranians have lost faith in their leaders, with millions seeing elections as a moment for silent protest. Despite concerns, voter turnout in the runoff reached 49.8%, beating the first round's record low of 40%. Analysts remain skeptical about Pesan's ability to enact meaningful change within an establishment dominated by ultra-conservatives.
    https://ahrefs.com/writing-tools/summarizer
    Is it fair to summarise the Iranian PM as a Constitutional PM, in the same way as we have a Constitutional Monarch?
    Foxy said:

glw said:

Elena Schneider
    @ec_schneider
    ·
    3h

I'm not so sure. I think Trumps agenda is dangerous for the USA, as that is where his revenge fantasies get played out, and bad for Ukraine too.

But us? I don't think we matter much to him, and while I expect Starmer will work with Trump, as indeed any PM has to. Most likely speed a realignment towards out friends on the Continent.
    Trump pulling the plug on military aid to Ukraine will cause massive trouble.

Then there's the mad two tier NATO (a US decision, NATO gets no say). Withdrawal of US forces from Europe. Restarting nuclear weapons testing. These a just a few of the things being touted by people who might be the next US Defense Secretary or National Security Advisor.

Trump has some properly bonkers ideas about tarriffs as well.
    MattW said:

viewcode said:

meanwhile in Iran...

• YouTube: How a Reformist Won Iran's Presidential Election, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN_HAFigqDM
    • Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Iranian_presidential_election
    • AI Summary: Iran has elected a reformist president, Massud Pesan, in a competitive election, marking the first reformist president in two decades. Pesan's victory was supported by major reformist groups and notable figures, including former reformist president Muhammad Katami and moderate former president Hassan Ruhani. Pesan's policy platform includes stopping the requirement for Iranian women to wear the hijab and improving relations with the West. However, many Iranians have lost faith in their leaders, with millions seeing elections as a moment for silent protest. Despite concerns, voter turnout in the runoff reached 49.8%, beating the first round's record low of 40%. Analysts remain skeptical about Pesan's ability to enact meaningful change within an establishment dominated by ultra-conservatives.
    https://ahrefs.com/writing-tools/summarizer
    Is it fair to summarise the Iranian PM as a Constitutional PM, in the same way as we have a Constitutional Monarch?
    More like Morgan Tsvangarai when he was Prime Minister of Zimbabwe with President Bob.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,116

Sort of on topic.

BUT Alex Jones is most definitely Senior Space Cadet.

With multiple oak leaves for dishonorable conduct.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,452
    glw said:

malcolmg said:

Not to mention the Labour MPs being challenged by pro-Gaza candidates
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 52,980

glw said:

malcolmg said:

Not to mention the Labour MPs being challenged by pro-Gaza candidates
    Including a few new MPs.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,701
    edited July 9
    OT (I think) I just heard a Northern Labour MP making a good crack about how pleased she was that the Speaker didn't have an accent so I looked her up on WIKI. In it was this passage;

'On 24 May 2016, Lancashire Constabulary announced that an investigation had been opened following allegations that Smith broke election spending laws by spending thousands of pounds more than she declared, relating to a visit by a nationally organised Labour "battlebus" to her constituency.[23][24] In June 2016, Lancashire Constabulary were granted a year-long extension to investigate Smith's election expenses,[25] and in November 2016 they cleared Smith of any wrongdoing.'

It really is time that they tightened up on wasting police time. You can't get hold of one when you have something serious to report and this gives you an idea why ...
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,727

Sort of on topic.

True. This is a photo of Suella Braverman taken this afternoon.
  • theProletheProle Posts: 1,082

Larry Sabato
    @LarrySabato
    Like it or not, that's the end of that. Biden-Harris it is for Dems. Legally, Biden has the high ground--he has to agree to step aside and he is clearly not going to do so.

https://x.com/LarrySabato/status/1810321569287188541

James Carville: "Mark my words: Joe Biden is going to be out of the 2024 presidential race. Whether he is ready to admit it or not."

One of them is going to be right I guess!

Surely from DJT's point of view, the optimal outcome is they spend the next couple of weeks rubbishing Biden, then fail to dislodge him.
    So far, it looks to me like the Dems are going to do exactly that.
    rcs1000 said:

On the subject of gay rights, it is very interesting that in the US, young Evangelical Christians have very different views to their parents. Most are pretty accepting of gay lifestyles, albeit falling short of support for gay marriage.

That would imo be about 25 years behind mainstream evangelicals here, then.

IMO the first stage on the change is acceptance of gay people who are not inside "our" institutions (eg religious marriage) but are accepted and tolerated, then secondly it is accepting parallel but different institutions, and eventually thirdly it gets to be recognised as equal rights to the same institution on the same basis.

There is a wide variety of theologies around it, which are all challenged in different ways to adapt.

Here, the mainstream CofE is probably at around stage 2.3 to 2.5 .
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 678
    edited July 9

Nigelb said:

Brexit champion James Dyson shows his faith in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/article/2024/jul/09/dyson-cut-uk-workforce-jobs
    ...The vacuum cleaner and air-filter maker Dyson is cutting about 1,000 jobs in the UK as part of a global restructure, reducing its British workforce by more than a quarter.

Staff were told on Tuesday morning about the cuts as part of moves to reduce the business’s 15,000-strong workforce around the world amid a wider cost-cutting drive.

Dyson, which is known for its bagless vacuum cleaner as well as hand-dryers and bladeless fans, has 3,500 UK employees..

No doubt some other firm will hoover up the 1,000 redundancies.
    That sucks... And is a blow..
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,237
    edited July 9

Can we just take a moment to congratulate the new MP for Stratford-on-avon for having the best name?

She's no Seymour Cocks.
    Noone will ever beat that, but she gives Thangam Debonnairre a run for her money.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,573
    Evening all :)

Five days after the election and you'd be forgiven for thinking the message of defeat had still not reached the Tory dinosaur brain. Some of them are still thrashing around thinking they are in power or have influence and believe people are in the slightest bit interested in anything they say.

My only thought is Suella defecting to Reform might help Farage's "woman problem".
  • SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,723
    Suella`s gone a bit crazy recently. Writing in the Telegraph that the party had lost the day before the election. May have cost the party votes and possibly seats (as some margins were less than a 100 votes)
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,116

Carnyx said:

*EDAM*, Edam, pleeeease.

EDAM?

I have made a legitimate and peaceful request for cheddar cheese and pineapple on a stick.

For hundreds of years, my community has enjoyed cheddar cheese and pineapple on a stick.

"Hundreds of years"?

Yer lot didn't even have a bleeding stick, let alone a flaming cheese OR freaking pineapple!
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 387
    edited July 9
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

On the subject of gay rights, it is very interesting that in the US, young Evangelical Christians have very different views to their parents. Most are pretty accepting of gay lifestyles, albeit falling short of support for gay marriage.

IMO the first stage on the change is acceptance of gay people who are not inside "our" institutions (eg religious marriage) but are accepted and tolerated, then secondly it is accepting parallel but different institutions, and eventually thirdly it gets to be recognised as equal rights to the same institution on the same basis.

There is a wide variety of theologies around it, which are all challenged in different ways to adapt.

While I'm pleasantly surprised at this development, I just don't get it.

Why do queer evangelicals bother?

There's a (generally) tolerant secular world out there. If you want community, join the Lib Dems, or whatever. These days your local knitting group, or book club, or whatever is unlikely to be particularly homophobic.

I find the whole religious acceptance thing profoundly odd.
    EPG said:

eek said:

eek said:

Ignore me.

I misread your comment.

For some obsessives.

I'm sure there's a point to that question.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,372
    Roger said:

The only cart she’s tethered to is womens rights. She’s no more responsible for what a fellow traveller may say as a TRA is for the actions of isla Bryson.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,200
    Suella and Nigel, the dream ticket.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,701
    I just ate a brace of quail in the Luberon

And - confession time - today I genuinely used What3Words, and it was REALLY USEFUL

SMukesh said:

Suella`s gone a bit crazy recently. Writing in the Telegraph that the party had lost the day before the election. May have cost the party votes and possibly seats (as some margins were less than a 100 votes)

She was completely right and her diagnosis was exact

Trouble is she is personally quite Marmitey
    edited July 9

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

There's a (generally) tolerant secular world out there. If you want community, join the Lib Dems, or whatever. These days your local knitting group, or book club, or whatever is unlikely to be particularly homophobic.

I'd say go and ask some. If it's a genuine query most will be happy to explain their view / experience.
    Steve Baker talking to Spectator TV about managerial competence and the future of the Conservative Party, what Labour does well, and why Reform is going nowhere.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcrBV1JOd0Y
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,200
    edited July 9
    Leon said:

SMukesh said:

Trump is quite Marmitey and heading for victory as things stand.

https://www.economist.com/interactive/us-2024-election/prediction-model/president
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,003

Carnyx said:

*EDAM*, Edam, pleeeease.

EDAM?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxpYW_w5pgo&t=1s

Steve Baker talking to Spectator TV about managerial competence and the future of the Conservative Party, what Labour does well, and why Reform is going nowhere.

Fckn hell.

There’s Spectator TV now?
    edited July 9

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

You under estimate the importance or religious community to many people, and the number of Gay and Lesbian people in the various churches.

Though there are a good number of Churches that are very welcoming to Gay, Lesbian and Trans people, though might be a bit different theologically. We are all God's Children and there are many rooms in our parents house.
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

SMukesh said:

https://www.economist.com/interactive/us-2024-election/prediction-model/president
    Not only is Trump a distance ahead, he will increase this lead over coming months as Biden's senility - and the attendant lies - worsens and complicates, and the necessary conspiracy to hide it and lie about it becomes evermore enbarrassing and absurd

It is the most sadly comical spectacle I have seen in American politics
    Andy_JS said:

It may be yours, it sounds like a nightmare to me
    Leon said:

SMukesh said:

Quite a lot of people (including me) like Marmite. Suella is more fermented sharky.
    edited July 9

Fckn hell.

It's been around for some time.

Steve Baker sounds quite realistic / thoughtful on the political aspects, but a touch egotistical. A cut above IDS-denial.

Is Wycombe one of the oldest constituency names in the country? This list of MPs on Wiki goes back to 1295.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wycombe_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

Fckn hell.

I wonder if that old chap who used to post on here features.

Fckn hell.

I do not really know. There was Spectator TV (aka its YouTube channel) a couple of years back, putting out regular weekly videos, but then it sort of went away for whatever reason, whether money or politics or key personnel moving to other outlets or into government.
  • SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,723
    Leon said:

SMukesh said:

Maybe. But should she not have waited till the polls ended.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,947
    Andy_JS said:

Probably there was an audience of about 6 for the Commons this afternoon when party leaders stood up in turn to do the traditional common ground, ain't our constitutional history great, isn't the mother of the house Diane Abbott a trail blazing role model especially for people of colour -(that was Sunak by the way), isn't Mr Speaker great etc.

By contrast Farage stood up for Reform newbies and denounced Speaker Bercow, and, to my mind, was a bit of an idiot in not joining in the traditional fun and games just for day 1. He has plenty of time to tell us about Bercow. I had forgotten he existed.
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

SMukesh said:

Not only is Trump a distance ahead, he will increase this lead over coming months as Biden's senility - and the attendant lies - worsens and complicates, and the necessary conspiracy to hide it and lie about it becomes evermore enbarrassing and absurd

It is the most sadly comical spectacle I have seen in American politics
    We are cutting it fine but I think we are just ok - as we would not be if it was now September. Thursday presser will be interesting with Dates em journos now against him and everyone vying to ask the coup de grace question.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,098
    edited July 9
    Leon said:

And - confession time - today I genuinely used What3Words, and it was REALLY USEFUL

For the avoidance of doubt, the like was for the quail quaffing.
    Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    EXCLUSIVE

Kemi Badenoch used first meeting of shadow cabinet to criticise Rishi Sunak's election campaign amid concerns colleagues are failing to grasp enormity of defeat

* Badenoch said that Sunak's decision to call an early election without informing his Cabinet was a mistake and bordered on 'unconstitutional'

* Badenoch said that instead of telling Cabinet ministers first Sunak had opted to inform a small group of colleagues, including his PPS Craig Williams who subsequently admitted placing a bet on the election date. She described Williams as a 'buffoon'

* Badenoch said Sunak's decision to return early from D-Day commemorations was "disastrous" and had dominated the election campaign, adding that colleagues like Penny Mordaunt would still be MPs today if he had stayed longer in France.

* She said many Tories were clearly still traumatised. She said Suella Braverman, former home secretary, appears to be having a 'very public' nervous breakdown

* She said Sunak should stay on to ensure an orderly transition to his successor

* She was said to be speaking for colleagues, particularly former ministers who had lost their seats. She spoke of the importance of shadow cabinet discussions not being leaked.

https://x.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1810742561507508605

Go Kemi!!!
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    EXCLUSIVE

Kemi Badenoch used first meeting of shadow cabinet to criticise Rishi Sunak's election campaign amid concerns colleagues are failing to grasp enormity of defeat

* Badenoch said that Sunak's decision to call an early election without informing his Cabinet was a mistake and bordered on 'unconstitutional'

* Badenoch said that instead of telling Cabinet ministers first Sunak had opted to inform a small group of colleagues, including his PPS Craig Williams who subsequently admitted placing a bet on the election date. She described Williams as a 'buffoon'

* Badenoch said Sunak's decision to return early from D-Day commemorations was "disastrous" and had dominated the election campaign, adding that colleagues like Penny Mordaunt would still be MPs today if he had stayed longer in France.

* She said many Tories were clearly still traumatised. She said Suella Braverman, former home secretary, appears to be having a 'very public' nervous breakdown

* She said Sunak should stay on to ensure an orderly transition to his successor

* She was said to be speaking for colleagues, particularly former ministers who had lost their seats. She spoke of the importance of shadow cabinet discussions not being leaked.

Go Kemi!!!
    Pass the popcorn!!

It's going to be a great summer of fun!
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,701

Fckn hell.

He sounds quite human. I'd always thought of him as one of the fruitcakes
    Mortimer said:

Leon said:

For the avoidance of doubt, the like was for the quail quaffing.
    Quail carcasses on top left

GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    EXCLUSIVE

Go Kemi!!!
    She is good at going, she was conspicuous by her absence in the campaign.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,372
    MattW said:

Fckn hell.

It's been around for some time.

Steve Baker sounds quite realistic / thoughtful on the political aspects, but a touch egotistical. A cut above IDS-denial.

Is Wycombe one of the oldest constituency names in the country? This list of MPs on Wiki goes back to 1295.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wycombe_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

I enjoyed his interview. His Grandad was a toolmaker. Never knew 😂

He’s right about Farage and populism and I am not a Tory so have no real interest in their redemption but I suspect they could do worse than listen to him. His point on the qualities and failings of the last three Tory leaders was interesting.
    Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    EXCLUSIVE

"She said Suella Braverman, former home secretary, appears to be having a 'very public' nervous breakdown"

As do the Daily Telegraph's columnists!! "Britain faces utter catastrophe", "Britain is finished", "Only the rats will be left" etc etc.
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Probably there was an audience of about 6 for the Commons this afternoon when party leaders stood up in turn to do the traditional common ground, ain't our constitutional history great, isn't the mother of the house Diane Abbott a trail blazing role model especially for people of colour -(that was Sunak by the way), isn't Mr Speaker great etc.

By contrast Farage stood up for Reform newbies and denounced Speaker Bercow, and, to my mind, was a bit of an idiot in not joining in the traditional fun and games just for day 1. He has plenty of time to tell us about Bercow. I had forgotten he existed.
    He is not going to get many opportunities to showboat. Because it's be nice to Mr Speaker day this was his best chance of getting a dig in without a speakerly rebuke. His intended audience is people who hate bercow with a passion.
This discussion has been closed.