Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Suella the martyr (ruder nouns are available) – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,008
edited July 13 in General
Suella the martyr (ruder adjectives are available) – politicalbetting.com

There are at least two outright lies in her speech. Firstly, no "mutilation of children" takes place in any UK hospital. Under 18s can't undergo surgical gender reassignment. Secondly, as @sundersays has pointed out, it was the traditional six-stripe Pride flag that could not…

Read the full story here

Comments

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 52,822
    First?
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,625
    Suella first defection to Reform?
    US comic Jon Stewart, with an utter evisceration of Biden, those around him, the media who said nothing for years - as well as Trump, Britain, and France.

To rapturous applause from a very liberal Daily Show audience in New York.

2m views in 11 hours, during which time most of the US has been asleep. It’ll likely have 5m views by the end of the day. Youtube views not Twitter views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9LZXheHddI
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    Lesson from Suella and Emily today: don't do flags mkay?
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,097
    The Suella Braverman of Pierce County, WA?

Seattle Times - Pierce County Council member won’t sit in chambers over pride flag

Pierce County Councilmember Amy Cruver is refusing to sit in council chambers while a pride flag is displayed there because she said it distracts her and interferes with her ability to engage in meetings.

At the end of last Tuesday’s council meeting, the Republican council member said over a video call that she found herself “at odds with my responsibility to focus on the people’s business while in chambers, and being distracted with the memories or thoughts that the flag creates in my mind.”

Cruver, who has represented southeast Pierce County communities in District 3 since 2021, has long disapproved of recognizing Pride month and the use of the flag above and within county buildings. Cruver did not respond Monday to a request for comment.

In remarks characterizing members of the LGBTQ+ community as depraved, scary and lacking “family value,” Cruver said she was attending the council meeting virtually because she preferred to “avoid confusion and distractions [that] interfere with my participation in meetings.” She also said Fox News was “very interested” in why she wasn’t attending meetings in person. . . .

After her statement during last Tuesday’s meeting, the council was silent for 10 seconds before Pierce County Council Chair Ryan Mello defended the pride flag as “a symbol of inclusion, love and welcoming for all people in our community.”

“I would encourage us to look at the diversity and humanity of the community that we are trying to lift up and not continue to other the community,” he said, calling such comments dangerous and harmful.

Mello, a Democrat who represents District 4, is the first openly gay person to lead the council. . . .

“I find it incredibly dangerous, those kinds of tropes, that kind of othering and demonizing and caricatures,” Mello said. “These tropes of the LGBTQ+ community that are so antiquated, it really needs to be called out.” . . .
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 67,874
    Small correction to the header - I think it's ruder nouns that you're thinking about ?
    I certainly am.
    Brexit champion James Dyson shows his faith in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/article/2024/jul/09/dyson-cut-uk-workforce-jobs
    ...The vacuum cleaner and air-filter maker Dyson is cutting about 1,000 jobs in the UK as part of a global restructure, reducing its British workforce by more than a quarter.

Staff were told on Tuesday morning about the cuts as part of moves to reduce the business’s 15,000-strong workforce around the world amid a wider cost-cutting drive.

Dyson, which is known for its bagless vacuum cleaner as well as hand-dryers and bladeless fans, has 3,500 UK employees..
  • PhilPhil Posts: 2,192
    NB. It is, I think, important that we’ve had two different national broadsheet newpapers publish quite different articles on the Letby case, both of which boil down to “the evidence in this case is atrocious & was presented to the jury as a certainty”.

They must have been working on these articles for weeks, months even. I think this reveals fundamental flaws in the reporting restrictions in the UK on cases that are sub judice - if these articles had been published when either trial was ongoing, both defence and prosecution could have dealt with the accusations directly during the trial. Justice would have been seen to be served.

Instead we get this situation, where outsiders were unable to bring these flaws to the attention of a court which regarded any external commentary on it’s deliberations as contempt to be prosecuted by the full force of the law. By doing so they bring the law itself into disrepute in my opinion.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,418
    Not to be picky but martyr is a noun in this context.
    Suella the martyred would work.
    On Topic - With respect to the War on Woke, very interesting to note that in Scottish constituencies Alba candidates at the general election ALL lost their deposits.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,329
    mwadams said:

I'm just pleased to see the reaction is almost universally negative. She has stepped beyond nasty weasel words into outright lies and naked bigotry.

Let's see who chooses to stand with her, though.

She's straddling quite a significant faultline on the (far) right between two positions that both get called 'socially conservative' but are actually quite distinct.

The first is opposed to rapid demographic change but is otherwise socially liberal. The second is reactionary about sexual politics but otherwise very relaxed about demographic change.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,123
    Nigelb said:

Small correction to the header - I think it's ruder nouns that you're thinking about ?
    I certainly am.

Not to be picky but martyr is a noun in this context.
    Suella the martyred would work.

You’re both right, I have corrected my error.

I had a different headline but changed it last minute as I really didn’t want to use the words I was planning to use.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,225
    kyf_100 said:

Garage has pledged to eliminate the crazies. He’d be mad to welcome her.
    Taz said:

kyf_100 said:

Is he winding up Reform, then ?
  • AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,415
    Phil said:

NB. It is, I think, important that we’ve had two different national broadsheet newpapers publish quite different articles on the Letby case, both of which boil down to “the evidence in this case is atrocious & was presented to the jury as a certainty”.

They must have been working on these articles for weeks, months even. I think this reveals fundamental flaws in the reporting restrictions in the UK on cases that are sub judice - if these articles had been published when either trial was ongoing, both defence and prosecution could have dealt with the accusations directly during the trial. Justice would have been seen to be served.

Instead we get this situation, where outsiders were unable to bring these flaws to the attention of a court which regarded any external commentary on it’s deliberations as contempt to be prosecuted by the full force of the law. By doing so they bring the law itself into disrepute in my opinion.

The alternative, I guess, is to do something like the US does in cases where there's likely to be a media circus: jury sequestration.

But the Letby trial lasted 10 months, so surely wouldn't have been feasible in that case.
  • EScrymgeourEScrymgeour Posts: 124
    Taz said:

kyf_100 said:

Is he standing down?
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,233
    Nigelb said:

Brexit champion James Dyson shows his faith in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/article/2024/jul/09/dyson-cut-uk-workforce-jobs
    ...The vacuum cleaner and air-filter maker Dyson is cutting about 1,000 jobs in the UK as part of a global restructure, reducing its British workforce by more than a quarter.

Staff were told on Tuesday morning about the cuts as part of moves to reduce the business’s 15,000-strong workforce around the world amid a wider cost-cutting drive.

Dyson, which is known for its bagless vacuum cleaner as well as hand-dryers and bladeless fans, has 3,500 UK employees..

No doubt some other firm will hoover up the 1,000 redundancies.
    AlsoLei said:

Phil said:

The alternative, I guess, is to do something like the US does in cases where there's likely to be a media circus: jury sequestration.

But the Letby trial lasted 10 months, so surely wouldn't have been feasible in that case.
    Oh, actually, the jury in the OJ Simpson case was sequestered for almost that long - 265 days.

Even so, asking jurors to go without media or internet access is a huge imposition. We'd need to look at paying them much more than we do current rate of £65-ish per day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_sequestration
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,225
    Nigelb said:

Taz said:

kyf_100 said:

Missed that one. Garage. Bloody predictive text !
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 668
    I see that on Twitter/X Simon Schama has noted that not one seat was won by Le Pen and the Hard Right in Brittany. He warns foreign journalists about the dangers of making generalisations.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,008
    On the subject of gay rights, it is very interesting that in the US, young Evangelical Christians have very different views to their parents. Most are pretty accepting of gay lifestyles, albeit falling short of support for gay marriage.
    Taz said:

Being antiwoke did little for the Tories in the last election. She should learn her lesson. Most people just don’t care either way. Who really cares that the self scan handsets at Sainsburys have a pride flag on or you can get Halal meat there. It is an issue that causes great emotions on either extreme of the debate. Most people are live and let live.

I posted this, very much in the same vein, on the previous thread.
    Luke Tryl, showing remarkable restraint, politely suggests to the Tories why they should consign Braverman's politics to the waste bin, and what they should instead focus on:
    https://x.com/LukeTryl/status/1810576343941128529
    ..People don’t bring up the progress flag in focus groups. People don’t know what it is & they find it baffling politicians focus on this stuff. It’s also a clear case of politicians confusing people being “eye rolly” about things with wanting politicians to dedicate time to them...

The entire thread is worth a read, as it's good advice to UK politicians.
    Notable of course, that Braverman gave her unpleasant remarks to a more receptive US conservative audience.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,536
    Oh my !!

Scotland and Trans in one day.

I think my photo quota needs to be some relaxing (unless you are a BMW) penguin bollards, from Wrexham:

https://x.com/WorldBollard/status/1809611664540725680
    SandraMc said:

I see that on Twitter/X Simon Schama has noted that not one seat was won by Le Pen and the Hard Right in Brittany. He warns foreign journalists about the dangers of making generalisations.

How come we have so many different versions of what actually happened in the French election? Surely the results are the results by now?
    Did we do this poll yet ?

Poll finds Biden damaged by debate; with Harris and Clinton best positioned to win
    https://www.politico.com/news/2024/07/09/biden-clinton-harris-democrat-poll-00166937

(The idea that Clinton should run again seems to me as misconceived as Biden clinging on, FWIW.)
    Sandpit said:

SandraMc said:

How come we have so many different versions of what actually happened in the French election? Surely the results are the results by now?
    French election counting staff are on strike?
    Day Five for the new HMG . . . and Keir Starmer has YET to fill the vital office of Second Church Estates Commissioner!

On more positive note, Larry is STILL on this lists (under "Prime Minister's Office" as Chief Mouser to the Cabinet Office".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starmer_ministry

Some reports that Larry is regarded as superanuated (in some quarters) for his current position, and may thus may be superseded by a meaner, leaner and YOUNGER replacement. (Joe Biden can relate!)

In that case, look for Larry to be elevated to the House of Lords, as Viscount (or Viscat?) Larry of Battersea and Westminster.
    edited July 9
    MattW said:

Oh my !!

I think my photo quota needs to be some relaxing (unless you are a BMW) penguin bollards, from Wrexham:

There's your mobile phone mast solution, right there.
    Just upsize them a bit.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,536
    Nigelb said:

MattW said:

Oh my !!

There's your mobile phone mast solution, right there.
    Just upsize them a bit.
    (You'll note they are also on a build-out into the carriageway - no obstructing the footway here.)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/43/20210418_Headington_Shark-2.jpg/540px-20210418_Headington_Shark-2.jpg
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,825
    New Greeny MP Ellie Chowns being interviewed on BBC.

Comes over very well.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 9,837
    We do not need British politicians emulating MAGA.
    rcs1000 said:

On the subject of gay rights, it is very interesting that in the US, young Evangelical Christians have very different views to their parents. Most are pretty accepting of gay lifestyles, albeit falling short of support for gay marriage.

Reason why the War of Woke wackjobs have zeroed of transgender-benderism, is because even fulminating against gay marriage, let alone homosexuality in general, is subject to increasingly diminishing returns as a political/ideological issue.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,997
    Nigelb said:

Did we do this poll yet ?

Poll finds Biden damaged by debate; with Harris and Clinton best positioned to win
    https://www.politico.com/news/2024/07/09/biden-clinton-harris-democrat-poll-00166937

(The idea that Clinton should run again seems to me as misconceived as Biden clinging on, FWIW.)

Its surely (almost) just name recognition? The better known candidates do better in current polling. The most likely candidate to win will depend more on their potential and values.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 9,837
    Sandpit said:

SandraMc said:

The French always have a bunch of minor party candidates who are hard to categorise.

Day Five for the new HMG . . . and Keir Starmer has YET to fill the vital office of Second Church Estates Commissioner!

That is not very Selous of them.

Nige should really have branded his party MEGA rather than Refuk.
    Prison crisis: As we have already paid Rwanda to take a load of people (and they don't want to give the money back), can't we send some lags over there?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,470

Prison crisis: As we have already paid Rwanda to take a load of people (and they don't want to give the money back), can't we send some lags over there?

The facility in Rwanda is more like a hostel than a prison, so best not to.

New reality TV pitch. Braverman, Jenrick, Rishi and Shapps, 4 prisoners and 4 asylum seekers compete to win a chance of permanent relocation to Rwanda. Each week one is saved until we are down to the final four to be flown over.

Slight problem is the humans rights convention, as it may be against the treaty to make the Rwandans suffer from permanently hosting Braverman.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,316
    @MrHarryCole

EXC: Braverman campaign dealt a hammer blow as her longtime mentor - who ran her last leadership tilt - abandons her.

Sir John Hayes has offered his services to Robert Jenrick’s bid…

https://x.com/MrHarryCole/status/1810709659344417046
    Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

EXC: Braverman campaign dealt a hammer blow as her longtime mentor - who ran her last leadership tilt - abandons her.

It does look like it's lining up to be Jenrick vs Tugenhadt.

Two that make Starmer look like Mr Charisma.
    Sort of on topic.

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,329
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

They're the equivalents of Peter Lilley and Michael Ancram from previous contests.
    Foxy said:

Where are they going to escape to? DRC?
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

St John's versus Caius!
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,807
    Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

Reported a day after Danny Kruger jumped ship. Surely Team Jenrick is not manipulating Her Majesty's Press!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,369
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

Are you sure ? Badenoch is the short price favourite at the moment
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,214

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

St John's versus Caius!
    Neither of them likely to get the Caius to Number Ten.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,825
    kyf_100 said:

Would they want her?
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,501

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

St John's versus Caius!
    As a Caian myself...
    Nandy: 'The era of culture wars is over'

Are you listening, Suella?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,674
    SandraMc said:

Not that Simon Shama isn't without issues. However on this he's correct the shame falls on the South
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,825
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

Hopefully while everyone is making a lot of noise, Kemi is quietly working things out behind the scenes.

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

St John's versus Caius!
    Many years ago there was some working class Northerner who called it Gonville and Kai-us the first time he saw the name.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,807
    A quieter, gentler PMQs? Some were wondering if today in the Commons heralded a more civilised chamber. It is possible. Barracking at PMQs was originally a Conservative tactic to shore up Mrs Thatcher, so with the blue team much reduced and heavily outnumbered, they may well call it a day.
    edited July 9

Sort of on topic.

That’s because Alex Jones is actually Bill Hicks, and was therefore born in 1961, 12 years before he says he was.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,002
    On the topic:

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr

I see Starmer's genie has been asked to get involved in the Tory leadership battle straight away.
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 382
    edited July 9

Must say I was surprised to see UKIP standing in Clacton. I'd assumed it had either died on its own, or Farage still had control/influence.

Farage has been in remarkably effective in his brand transfer. UKIP, even if they didn't campaign, did shitter than I would have expected.

Also, wasn't "Reform" deliberately chosen to evoke Canada? It was a framing exercise in the hope a few friendly/lazy journos would bite on a slow news day.

It did its job, imo.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,369
    GIN1138 said:

kyf_100 said:

Would they want her?
    Yes.
    Not a great day for JK Rowling either. If you tether your cart to an incontinent horse who knows what you'll get sprayed with
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 47,727

Must say I was surprised to see UKIP standing in Clacton. I'd assumed it had either died on its own, or Farage still had control/influence.

Farage has been in remarkably effective in his brand transfer. UKIP, even if they didn't campaign, did shitter than I would have expected.

Also, wasn't "reform" deliberately chosen to evoke Canada?

It did its job, imo.
    Reform was a hand built vehicle for/by Farage. Because UKIP kept getting out of his control. Hence it is a company majority owned by Farage.
    Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group are in talks to buy struggling French club Bordeaux.

Bordeaux were provisionally relegated to the third tier National 1 by French football's financial watchdog, the DNCG, on Tuesday after failing to provide guarantees for the 2024-25 season.

The club are appealing against the decision and now have two weeks to finalise a sale to allow them to remain in Ligue 2 next season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/c1dmgxx7ez1o
    Sandpit said:

SandraMc said:

https://www.politico.eu/article/france-left-wing-marine-le-pen-far-right-national-rally-jordan-bardella-seats-new-popular-front/
    Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

Hope it is not Jenrick. I am pretty red on that scoundrel.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,214
    Pulpstar said:

GIN1138 said:

kyf_100 said:

Would they want her?
    Yes.
    A defection is a defection... Ask Nathalie Elphicke.

Wouldn't it be glorious, though, if this played out like the 2016 leadership election, with one candidate after another blowing up at their own hand?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,530

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

He’s also dreadfully crap.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,566
    Roger said:

Not a great day for JK Rowling either. If you tether your cart to an incontinent horse who knows what you'll get sprayed with

What a horrible comment
    BBC:

"SNP barely fill Commons bench...

...SNP Westminster leader Stephen Flynn will have to get used to bobbing up and down for attention."
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,944
    Taz said:

Nigelb said:

Taz said:

kyf_100 said:

Missed that one. Garage. Bloody predictive text !
    There was a young man named Farage
    Who ended up locked in his garage
    He campaigned so hard
    But let down his guard
    And fell to an electoral barrage

Roger said:

What a horrible comment
    It's a clear reference to my comment in the header.

The way Suella Braverman is acting is like soiling yourself in public, it’ll give you a warm feeling but disgust everyone else.
    Joe Biden fans please take note…
    Matthew Yglesias
    @mattyglesias
    ·
    1h
    So
    @theWelcomePAC
    actually polled Biden’s precious Democratic primary voters and … they want the convention to pick a new nominee because they prioritize electability and beating Trump (which is exactly why he won the nomination in 2020).

https://x.com/mattyglesias/status/1810699656529063961
    Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

That's a catastrophe for her. Braverman was practically a proxy for Hayes when she was first in government; it was he who was the recipient of the security-breaching leaks sent from her personal email address, and which were responsible for her being sacked.
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

He’s also dreadfully crap.
    Yes, I doubt he would actually be leading them at GE 2028, even if he is elected leader this summer.

He'll last two years.

Pulpstar said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

I'm hoping that "bet against the front runner" is still a wise course of action in Tory leadership elections. Badenoch would be poor outcome for me.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,686
    GIN1138 said:

kyf_100 said:

Would they want her?
    Would she want to go there? She can hardly try to take it over, considering it's literally owned by Farage.
    Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

kyf_100 said:

Would they want her?
    Would she want to go there? She can hardly try to take it over, considering it's literally owned by Farage.
    Is she smart enough to realise that?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,403
    edited July 9
    Foxy said:

It would only upset the DM readers even more.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,790

Sounds like wishful thinking from Nandy there. If anything they are likely to get a lot worse.

Also, wasn't "reform" deliberately chosen to evoke Canada?

It did its job, imo.
    Reform was a hand built vehicle for/by Farage. Because UKIP kept getting out of his control. Hence it is a company majority owned by Farage.
    I really hope the Electoral Commission consider changing the rules on this - substantive political parties ought to be companies limited by guarantee (as most of them are), or perhaps a society registered under the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,445
    Nigelb said:

Taz said:

Being antiwoke did little for the Tories in the last election. She should learn her lesson. Most people just don’t care either way. Who really cares that the self scan handsets at Sainsburys have a pride flag on or you can get Halal meat there. It is an issue that causes great emotions on either extreme of the debate. Most people are live and let live.

I posted this, very much in the same vein, on the previous thread.
    Luke Tryl, showing remarkable restraint, politely suggests to the Tories why they should consign Braverman's politics to the waste bin, and what they should instead focus on:
    https://x.com/LukeTryl/status/1810576343941128529
    ..People don’t bring up the progress flag in focus groups. People don’t know what it is & they find it baffling politicians focus on this stuff. It’s also a clear case of politicians confusing people being “eye rolly” about things with wanting politicians to dedicate time to them...

The entire thread is worth a read, as it's good advice to UK politicians.
    Notable of course, that Braverman gave her unpleasant remarks to a more receptive US conservative audience.
    There isn't a receptive UK Conservative audience for her.

Outside of Reform.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,407
    I wonder if any of the 26 new MPs the Tories have are leadership material?
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,841
    edited July 9
    meanwhile in Iran...
    • YouTube: How a Reformist Won Iran's Presidential Election, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN_HAFigqDM
    • Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Iranian_presidential_election
    • AI Summary: Iran has elected a reformist president, Massud Pesan, in a competitive election, marking the first reformist president in two decades. Pesan's victory was supported by major reformist groups and notable figures, including former reformist president Muhammad Katami and moderate former president Hassan Ruhani. Pesan's policy platform includes stopping the requirement for Iranian women to wear the hijab and improving relations with the West. However, many Iranians have lost faith in their leaders, with millions seeing elections as a moment for silent protest. Despite concerns, voter turnout in the runoff reached 49.8%, beating the first round's record low of 40%. Analysts remain skeptical about Pesan's ability to enact meaningful change within an establishment dominated by ultra-conservatives.
    https://ahrefs.com/writing-tools/summarizer
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 382
    I see the tories are chasing the David Copeland vote.

Starmer's gonna have fun.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,270

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

St John's versus Caius!
    Many years ago there was some working class Northerner who called it Gonville and Kai-us the first time he saw the name.
    Well you would wouldn't you?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,869

Nanady is as thick as was thought I see.
    Sandpit said:

Roger said:

What a horrible comment
    It's a clear reference to my comment in the header.

The way Suella Braverman is acting is like soiling yourself in public, it’ll give you a warm feeling but disgust everyone else.
    Joe Biden fans please take note…
    Isn't it Trump in the special nappies?

https://news.sky.com/story/donald-trump-supporters-wear-nappies-13129050
    Good-bye to Mr Brexit himself. Not making enough money so transferring even more of his empire to the Far East. A real patriot!
    edited July 9
    Elena Schneider
    @ec_schneider
    ·
    3h
    New AARP poll of Wisconsin, taken after debate.

Trump: 44 (+6pts)
    Biden: 38
    RFK: 9

https://x.com/ec_schneider/status/1810676365835784347

In Biden vs. Trump head-to-head, ie no third party candidates -->

Trump: 50 (+5)
    Biden: 45
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,625
    Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

kyf_100 said:

Would they want her?
    I think a) they would want her, as high-profile defections from the Conservatives suits their narrative. Much like the Corbyn fanatics in 2017 were convinced it would only take one more push (or putsch, in Farage's case) to win, so too the hard right think they lost by being insufficiently right wing enough. See Rees Mogg's comments today about reform voters being part of the wider 'Conservative family'.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more defections to Reform if the Conservatives go with a moderate as leader. Suella might be the first of a few. Farage knows he's never going to take over the Tory party so his only option is to flip them and become the main right wing opposition in 2029. Every defection will help that narrative.

And b), Suella would want to join Reform as she knows she's not going to be Con leader either, and she'll get a great deal more airtime as Farage's (far) right hand man.

Roger said:

Surely in that situation you know exactly what you will get sprayed with?
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    @TSE "Imagine getting triggered by a flag."

Have a walk down the Falls Road with a Union Flag, wander through the peace gate then swap it for a Tricola and head back into town via the Shankhill Road.

Make sure you nominate someone to advised which hospitals intensive care ward you will be in before you go
  • The culture wars are over. Thank goodness.

Let's move on.
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 1,127
    Omnium said:

I wonder if any of the 26 new MPs the Tories have are leadership material?

Cometh the hour, cometh Nick Timothy.

This discussion has been closed.