Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Suella the martyr (ruder nouns are available) – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,116
    Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    EXCLUSIVE

Kemi Badenoch used first meeting of shadow cabinet to criticise Rishi Sunak's election campaign amid concerns colleagues are failing to grasp enormity of defeat

* Badenoch said that Sunak's decision to call an early election without informing his Cabinet was a mistake and bordered on 'unconstitutional'

* Badenoch said that instead of telling Cabinet ministers first Sunak had opted to inform a small group of colleagues, including his PPS Craig Williams who subsequently admitted placing a bet on the election date. She described Williams as a 'buffoon'

* Badenoch said Sunak's decision to return early from D-Day commemorations was "disastrous" and had dominated the election campaign, adding that colleagues like Penny Mordaunt would still be MPs today if he had stayed longer in France.

* She said many Tories were clearly still traumatised. She said Suella Braverman, former home secretary, appears to be having a 'very public' nervous breakdown

* She said Sunak should stay on to ensure an orderly transition to his successor

* She was said to be speaking for colleagues, particularly former ministers who had lost their seats. She spoke of the importance of shadow cabinet discussions not being leaked.

https://x.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1810742561507508605

Statement of the obvious.

Except for the bit about "importance of shadow cabinet discussions not being leaked" which was clearly said in jest.

ESPECIALLY as the chief beneficiary of the leak is . . . Kemi Badenoch? Surprise, surprise!

• MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    It is quite funny how people are saying Farage won't be able to get much speaking time eg at PMQs.

How many UK people sat and watched the big events in the European Volkskammer Parliament?

Virtually none. People only knew about Farages speeches because he uploaded and distributed them.

There are a million and one half attended debates in Parliament where Farage will be able to speak as much as he likes and upload / distribute.

• Clutch_BromptonClutch_Brompton Posts: 691
    On topic - there are three possible explanations for these comments -

1) Despite the lamentations of some on here Braverman is indeed as thick as the proverbial.

2) Braverman thinks this is how to make money on the US speaking circuit.

3) Both of the above.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,376
    Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    EXCLUSIVE

Kemi Badenoch used first meeting of shadow cabinet to criticise Rishi Sunak's election campaign amid concerns colleagues are failing to grasp enormity of defeat

* Badenoch said that Sunak's decision to call an early election without informing his Cabinet was a mistake and bordered on 'unconstitutional'

* Badenoch said that instead of telling Cabinet ministers first Sunak had opted to inform a small group of colleagues, including his PPS Craig Williams who subsequently admitted placing a bet on the election date. She described Williams as a 'buffoon'

* Badenoch said Sunak's decision to return early from D-Day commemorations was "disastrous" and had dominated the election campaign, adding that colleagues like Penny Mordaunt would still be MPs today if he had stayed longer in France.

* She said many Tories were clearly still traumatised. She said Suella Braverman, former home secretary, appears to be having a 'very public' nervous breakdown

* She said Sunak should stay on to ensure an orderly transition to his successor

* She was said to be speaking for colleagues, particularly former ministers who had lost their seats. She spoke of the importance of shadow cabinet discussions not being leaked.

Leaking like sieves. You'd have thought being reduced to the smallest cohort of Tory MPs ever might focus minds a bit. Whether they go towards the right centre or whatever they need to stop spouting off to journalists every 5 seconds.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,349
    Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    EXCLUSIVE

So after Suella's self-immolation, Kemi-me-me is next to show why she's not the one.

I do hope that Starmer's poor genie at least got the weekend off.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,876
    Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    EXCLUSIVE

Go Kemi!!!
    She is good at going, she was conspicuous by her absence in the campaign.
    I guess she decided to let Sunak own his defeat and given she only won her seat with a 2,610 majority she very sensibly decided to spend all her time in her constituency.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,673
    edited July 9
    Roger said:

Steve Baker talking to Spectator TV about managerial competence and the future of the Conservative Party, what Labour does well, and why Reform is going nowhere.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcrBV1JOd0Y

Fckn hell.

There’s Spectator TV now?
    He sounds quite human. I'd always thought of him as one of the fruitcakes
    I disagree with him on a lot of things by the sound of it, but he sounds like someone with thought through opinions that reflect his beliefs, with a hinterland - and I can respect that.

I think there's a but too much emphasis on "How to Win Friends and Influence People", though - and meeting it at the age of 40+ is a but late. As a convinced evangelical he's perhaps missed out on a lot of good and humane thinkers from within his own constituency, maybe starting with people such as Michael Schluter.

I'd love to have a pub lunch with him, talking about intellectual background.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,494
    My money is on Spain
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    EXCLUSIVE

And of course the bit in bold absolutely rules out kemi being the leaker because that would be just too unspeakably subtle for words. I just don't see why anyone else would be arsed to leak it.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,876

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    EXCLUSIVE

So after Suella's self-immolation, Kemi-me-me is next to show why she's not the one.

It sounds like she gave Rishi an arse kicking to his face. And quite right, too.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252

On topic - there are three possible explanations for these comments -

1) Despite the lamentations of some on here Braverman is indeed as thick as the proverbial.

3) Both of the above.

4) a lot of people found scenes like this quite Godwinesque but keep their trap shut for fear of being monstered.

PS. Has the South African government filed a copyright complaint yet?

https://www.politico.eu/cdn-cgi/image/width=1024,quality=80,onerror=redirect,format=auto/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/03/pride-month.jpg
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,574
    IanB2 said:

My money is on Spain

Mine too, in normal time.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,461
    MattW said:

Steve Baker talking to Spectator TV about managerial competence and the future of the Conservative Party, what Labour does well, and why Reform is going nowhere.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcrBV1JOd0Y

Fckn hell.

There’s Spectator TV now?
    It's been around for some time.

Steve Baker sounds quite realistic / thoughtful on the political aspects, but a touch egotistical. A cut above IDS-denial.

Is Wycombe one of the oldest constituency names in the country? This list of MPs on Wiki goes back to 1295.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wycombe_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

Lincoln is considered the oldest, because there has been a recorded Lincoln constituency ever since 1265. There were probably others for that Parliament that have remained similar ever since for which we don't have definite records.

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    EXCLUSIVE

"She said Suella Braverman, former home secretary, appears to be having a 'very public' nervous breakdown"

As do the Daily Telegraph's columnists!! "Britain faces utter catastrophe", "Britain is finished", "Only the rats will be left" etc etc.
    So they're not planning on emigrating? Shame.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,941
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Suella and Nigel, the dream ticket.

Probably there was an audience of about 6 for the Commons this afternoon when party leaders stood up in turn to do the traditional common ground, ain't our constitutional history great, isn't the mother of the house Diane Abbott a trail blazing role model especially for people of colour -(that was Sunak by the way), isn't Mr Speaker great etc.

By contrast Farage stood up for Reform newbies and denounced Speaker Bercow, and, to my mind, was a bit of an idiot in not joining in the traditional fun and games just for day 1. He has plenty of time to tell us about Bercow. I had forgotten he existed.
    John Bercow is on the US version of breakout hit tv series The Traitors.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,558
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

My money is on Spain

Mine too, in normal time.
    Hope its better than their tourist figures which are by all accounts plummeting.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,701
    I reckon Mbappe will finally come good

2-1 France in normal time
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,326

She is in the US right now, and the line from her speech was apparently "We governed as liberals and lost as liberals" which is clearly aimed at a US audience
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,372
    Leon said:

Well he’s lost his Zorro mask.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,200
    edited July 9
    We may not have discussed the fact that Gina Miller polled 845 votes in Epsom & Ewell for the True and Fair party.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2024/uk/constituencies/E14001227
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Well he’s lost his Zorro mask.
    OTOH France have been dismal, possibly worse than England

This is easily the worst international tourmament - for me - since the awful vuvuzela World Cup in South Africa

Damn shame, football seems to have gone backwards
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,188
    This really, with all due respect to England, should have been the final. Easily the best 2 teams in the competition.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,273
    Leon said:

Mmmmbap, bap bap mmmmbap as your favourite song goes.

On other euros matters I like that this semi is between the two big poncey Catholic empires and tomorrow is between the two austere Protestant trading empires. Bodes well for England.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,995
    boulay said:

Leon said:

On other euros matters I like that this semi is between the two big poncey Catholic empires and tomorrow is between the two austere Protestant trading empires. Bodes well for England.
    https://x.com/thehistoryguy/status/1809660385181474940

Dan Snow @thehistoryguy
    France v Spain
    England v Netherlands?

Next week might feel like 1652
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,003
    France score!
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,277
    DavidL said:

This really, with all due respect to England, should have been the final. Easily the best 2 teams in the competition.

We're going to lose the final to France and then I'm going to feel sicker than a cyclist with piles.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,323
    edited July 9

France score!

Bloody hell Sunil! Just flicked onto PB to find your post and realise BBC iPlayer is a couple of minutes behind!
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Just needs Alan Hansen on commentary.
    Leon said:

Brilliant assist by Mbappe
    IanB2 said:

My money is on Spain

You were saying...

France score!

Bloody hell Sunil! Just flicked onto PB to find BBC iPlayer is a couple of minutes bhind!
    I'm watching on the telly!
    DavidL said:

Spain have been good, France dreary
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,277
    Light the beacons of Gondor, France have scored a goal from open play.
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Exquisite. He is the best player in the world for a reason

The only team that might match this? England with Bellingham ON FORM
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Yep. The French inspired by the NPF victory want another one.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,493
    I like Suella. She doesn't seem to have researched her US speech very well. I also think she needs a soundbite, or a simple issue to expound upon to explain in ways the public and the PCP can understand, how shite Sunak and all his works have been, and how the party needs to change direction if MPs fancy keeping their new jobs. I don't think that thing is Woke and LGBT, or Gaza protestors and AS - I think it's probably immigration and boats. It was salient then, and it still has salience now - it's Starmer's achilles heel as it was Sunak's. And Suella has a very good record there, for doing all she could to hold Sunak's feet to the fire on the issue.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,880
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    EXCLUSIVE

Leaking like sieves. You'd have thought being reduced to the smallest cohort of Tory MPs ever might focus minds a bit. Whether they go towards the right centre or whatever they need to stop spouting off to journalists every 5 seconds.
    It is focusing their minds, just in multiple different directions at the moment.

Things are bound to get messier before they can get better, they haven't really decided what the big problems are yet so they obviously cannot agree on a solution.

As for spouting off to journalists, obviously that is good advice, but that's how the game is played now. If they don't do it a rival will, or the space will be taken up by ousider commentary on their election race from Starmer or Farage.
    Effing hell, showing a replay again instead of the action.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,880
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    EXCLUSIVE

It sounds like she gave Rishi an arse kicking to his face. And quite right, too.
    And what was she doing about things prior to the calling of the election? The campaign was hardly the only problem. Is she setting out her stall as the continuity candidate, but done right this time?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,806
    Braverman's comments have clearly not gone down well with most Tories but they probably will go down better with Trump supporting Republicans who were her target audience in DC. Plus many Reform voters here will welcome them
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,208

Will Hutton
    @williamnhutton

An expert on Parkinson’s has visited the White House eight times since last August? A friend, a doctor in the early stages, says Biden’s symptons are uncannily like his. This is becoming grotesque. President Biden is one of the post-war greats - but he can’t operate 4 more years.
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    EXCLUSIVE

I agree, but given that she is part of the same Goveite nexus that gave us Sunak, it feels like a bit of a manufactured spat? All true though mind.
    Leon said:

I'm going 2-1 to Spain!
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,966

It is quite funny how people are saying Farage won't be able to get much speaking time eg at PMQs.

How many UK people sat and watched the big events in the European Volkskammer Parliament?

Virtually none. People only knew about Farages speeches because he uploaded and distributed them.

There are a million and one half attended debates in Parliament where Farage will be able to speak as much as he likes and upload / distribute.

In big debates he wont get called that often, there are 30 MPs that will be called before him. In small debates he will be speaking to an empty chamber. It will not be like the EP at all. Meanwhile, he will not have quite the same MSM profile, because the Lib Dems can hurt the BBC et al, if they continue to try to ignore them. So podcasts and social media, but that is a very rapidly changing world, where today´s star is tomorrow´s has been.

Starmer will pay attention to the constitutional niceties, and the House of Commons, largely ignored by the Tories, will matter a lot more.
    What a goal!
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,837
    Brilliant!
    1-1 Yamal the 16 year old for Spain!
    If you're good enough you're old enough!

Amazing goal by Spain.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,528
    Youngest worldie!
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,927
    MattW said:

viewcode said:

meanwhile in Iran...

• YouTube: How a Reformist Won Iran's Presidential Election, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN_HAFigqDM
    • Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Iranian_presidential_election
    • AI Summary: Iran has elected a reformist president, Massud Pesan, in a competitive election, marking the first reformist president in two decades. Pesan's victory was supported by major reformist groups and notable figures, including former reformist president Muhammad Katami and moderate former president Hassan Ruhani. Pesan's policy platform includes stopping the requirement for Iranian women to wear the hijab and improving relations with the West. However, many Iranians have lost faith in their leaders, with millions seeing elections as a moment for silent protest. Despite concerns, voter turnout in the runoff reached 49.8%, beating the first round's record low of 40%. Analysts remain skeptical about Pesan's ability to enact meaningful change within an establishment dominated by ultra-conservatives.
    https://ahrefs.com/writing-tools/summarizer
    Is it fair to summarise the Iranian PM as a Constitutional PM, in the same way as we have a Constitutional Monarch?
    No. The President of Iran is the head of government, analogous to our Prime Minister. The Supreme Leader of Iran is the head of state, analogous to our Monarch

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_Iran
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Leader_of_Iran
    This is arguably the best game of the tournament after only 20 minutes
    edited July 9
    Spain! Amazing
    HYUFD said:

Braverman's comments have clearly not gone down well with most Tories but they probably will go down better with Trump supporting Republicans who were her target audience in DC. Plus many Reform voters here will welcome them

Yes, but like Truss's CPAC interview, she could have acheived a great response from both audiences with better chosen words.
    DavidL said:

Shows possession football doesn't have to be dull.
    You were saying @Leon ??? :smile:
    DavidL said:

Should have been the final to be honest
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

SMukesh said:

Suella`s gone a bit crazy recently. Writing in the Telegraph that the party had lost the day before the election. May have cost the party votes and possibly seats (as some margins were less than a 100 votes)

She was completely right and her diagnosis was exact

Trouble is she is personally quite Marmitey
    Trump is quite Marmitey and heading for victory as things stand.

https://www.economist.com/interactive/us-2024-election/prediction-model/president
    But that's only because Biden chose the wrong cup to be the Holy Grail
    viewcode said:

MattW said:

viewcode said:

meanwhile in Iran...

• YouTube: How a Reformist Won Iran's Presidential Election, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN_HAFigqDM
    • Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Iranian_presidential_election
    • AI Summary: Iran has elected a reformist president, Massud Pesan, in a competitive election, marking the first reformist president in two decades. Pesan's victory was supported by major reformist groups and notable figures, including former reformist president Muhammad Katami and moderate former president Hassan Ruhani. Pesan's policy platform includes stopping the requirement for Iranian women to wear the hijab and improving relations with the West. However, many Iranians have lost faith in their leaders, with millions seeing elections as a moment for silent protest. Despite concerns, voter turnout in the runoff reached 49.8%, beating the first round's record low of 40%. Analysts remain skeptical about Pesan's ability to enact meaningful change within an establishment dominated by ultra-conservatives.
    https://ahrefs.com/writing-tools/summarizer
    Is it fair to summarise the Iranian PM as a Constitutional PM, in the same way as we have a Constitutional Monarch?
    No. The President of Iran is the head of government, analogous to our Prime Minister. The Supreme Leader of Iran is the head of state, analogous to our Monarch

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_Iran
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Leader_of_Iran
    Yes, but the Supreme Leader wields actual power. Charles does not.

Their posts would perhaps be more analogous to Chairman and Chief Exec of a council.
    edited July 9
    Beaten youngest goal scorer by 18 months!

lol. Fuck me!

Three best players in rhe world

Mbappe
    Bellingham
    Yamal
  • KnightOutKnightOut Posts: 107
    The 'traditional' Rainbow flag is itself arguably quite anti-woke now. A colleague of my wife was rebuked for using the 'wrong flag' in internal comms a couple of weeks back, and it seems to be only used online by LGB-without-the-T types nowadays.
    2 -1 to Spain!!
    2-1 to Spain! What a match
    Finally we get a decent match to watch
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,966

GIN1138 said:

“The 1922 competency levels have reached a new low which is saying something. This was bent!”

Mark Francois furious he couldn’t vote in election of 1922 chair.

Like Edward Leigh & Jeremy Hunt he wasn’t allowed to vote. Election ended even though MPs were told voting 5-6pm

NEW: Bob Blackman is new 1922 committee chairman

Results:
    Blackman - 61
    Clifton-Brown - 37

https://x.com/joepike/status/1810720899319865762

Bob Blackman will be the new Sir Graham?

Hopefully we won't be seeing as much of him as we did Sir Graham in the next few years.
    Shame, although Bob Blackman-old lady doesn't rhyme.
    He´ll probably get called Blackshirt given his vehemence against Muslims and the LGBT community.
    Spain!
    Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

My money is on Spain

You were saying...
    …that my money is on Spain, yes.

DavidL said:

Should have been the final to be honest
    Will be seen as. The final will be meh....
    edited July 9
    Jordan Pickford would have saved those EASILY

*gulps*
    Does England really want to play either of these teams? Could get embarrassing.
    DavidL said:

Deffo after 26!
    More goals please. Enjoying this.
    The way this is going this could be 5-3... to either side

Welcome back, btw. I have missed these sarky remarks about the EU. Have you done "EUSSR" again? Or the "LibLabCon"? Jumpers for goalposts... 😎
    DavidL said:

Does England really want to play either of these teams? Could get embarrassing.

Have to beat the Cloggers first!
    Given as an own goal.
    Andy_JS said:

Given as an own goal.

That'll change
    Taz said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Just needs Alan Hansen on commentary.
    I see what you did there 😃
    Leon said:

lol. Fuck me!

Mbappe
    Bellingham
    Yamal
    "you can't do anything with a bunch of kids."
    It will be good to see France having to come forward. They have relied too much on a brilliant defence.

But Spain look unstoppable.
    edited July 9
    Leon said:

lol. Fuck me!

Mbappe
    Bellingham
    Yamal
    Lol, Bellingham isn't even the best player for England.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,558
    edited July 9
    Leon said:

Famous result 5-3 I. 1966 Portugal vNorth Korea...

Leon said:

I'm going 2-1 to Spain!
    Surely more to come?
    Leon said:

Doh! Now you've done it - I was hoping for more goals.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 9,938

“The 1922 competency levels have reached a new low which is saying something. This was bent!”

Mark Francois furious he couldn’t vote in election of 1922 chair.

Like Edward Leigh & Jeremy Hunt he wasn’t allowed to vote. Election ended even though MPs were told voting 5-6pm

NEW: Bob Blackman is new 1922 committee chairman

Results:
    Blackman - 61
    Clifton-Brown - 37

https://x.com/joepike/status/1810720899319865762

Well, 61 is a majority of Tory MPs. You don't need to continue the voting: Blackman has won at that point.

Leondamus strikes

Can we just take a moment to congratulate the new MP for Stratford-on-avon for having the best name of any MP?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratford-on-Avon_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

That's the 3rd LibDem MP I've seen with a PhD. Who else is there in Parliament? Dr Rupa Huq (Lab). Anyone else?

kyf_100 said:

Chris said:

GIN1138 said:

kyf_100 said:

Suella first defection to Reform?

Would they want her?
    Would she want to go there? She can hardly try to take it over, considering it's literally owned by Farage.
    I think a) they would want her, as high-profile defections from the Conservatives suits their narrative. Much like the Corbyn fanatics in 2017 were convinced it would only take one more push (or putsch, in Farage's case) to win, so too the hard right think they lost by being insufficiently right wing enough. See Rees Mogg's comments today about reform voters being part of the wider 'Conservative family'.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more defections to Reform if the Conservatives go with a moderate as leader. Suella might be the first of a few. Farage knows he's never going to take over the Tory party so his only option is to flip them and become the main right wing opposition in 2029. Every defection will help that narrative.

And b), Suella would want to join Reform as she knows she's not going to be Con leader either, and she'll get a great deal more airtime as Farage's (far) right hand man.

I'd want to see more evidence that Reform voters really do want woke wars about gay flags and are not primarily motivated by economic factors (and are still waiting for levelling up) delivered with a side helping of basic competence.

Suella Braverman has called it wrong, imo, and so have JRM and even Farage himself.
    Reform UK voters consistently say that the most important issue for them is immigration, not the economy.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,222

I like Suella. She doesn't seem to have researched her US speech very well. I also think she needs a soundbite, or a simple issue to expound upon to explain in ways the public and the PCP can understand, how shite Sunak and all his works have been, and how the party needs to change direction if MPs fancy keeping their new jobs. I don't think that thing is Woke and LGBT, or Gaza protestors and AS - I think it's probably immigration and boats. It was salient then, and it still has salience now - it's Starmer's achilles heel as it was Sunak's. And Suella has a very good record there, for doing all she could to hold Sunak's feet to the fire on the issue.

She’s a demagogue who’s otherwise without any real achievement.
    And likely to remain that way.
    https://x.com/MichaelLCrick/status/1810741304126767208

Michael Crick @MichaelLCrick
    Interesting that Starmer has appointed several new MPs as ministers straight away: Georgia Gould, Alistair Carns, Kirsty McNeill, Sarah Sackman and Miatta Fahnbulleh. I've never known this before. Normally people have to wait a year or two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Gould_(politician)

She is the daughter of Philip Gould, Baron Gould of Brookwood...attended a local comprehensive secondary school, Camden School for Girls. She has spoken of growing up in a "tribal Labour household"; holidays were spent with Alastair Campbell and his wife Fiona Millar, Tessa Jowell, and the family of Tony Blair.

She's certainly not the daughter of a tool maker.

Andy_JS said:

Given as an own goal.

That'll change
    Told you.

Can we just take a moment to congratulate the new MP for Stratford-on-avon for having the best name of any MP?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratford-on-Avon_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

That's the 3rd LibDem MP I've seen with a PhD. Who else is there in Parliament? Dr Rupa Huq (Lab). Anyone else?
    Simon Case has a PhD (although he isn't an MP).

Which merely goes to prove that there are some exceptions to the rule that people with PhDs are utterly brilliant in every way.
    They thought Spain v France was a classic. But NOBODY could have predicted the fest of football that England v Netherlands would provide...
This discussion has been closed.