Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The first key result sees a 16.5% Con to Lab swing. – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,748
    Jonathan said:

Could labour apply to join the EEA?

Irrespective of whether we each think it’s a good idea (I don’t) it also just isn’t possible. It’s a long old road to get there. Some vague associate membership on that road? Maybe. But tricky without consensus in the UK.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,754
    rcs1000 said:

Mandelson used to be so sharp. What happened?

Think he fancied the Foreign Secretary role (in the style of David Cameron) but once out of the question , sort of has given up an could not care less
  • GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,190
    We need some more results!
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,572
    @KevinASchofield

Labour expecting to be the largest party in England, Scotland and Wales - first party to do that in 23 years.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,109

Labour needs to deliver for the north. The Tories blagged it up but did little, Labour needs to deliver visibly.

Deliver full stop. Anywhere. I hate how shitty, downtrodden, dirty and scruffy our urban areas have become. Rubbish shops, fast food, gambling, unhealthy people, and impoverished. And depressing.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 3,035
    edited July 5
    Esher and Harpenden look like they may be headed to the Lib Dems according to Beth Rigby
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 7,109

https://x.com/markmleach/status/543826870660521985

So @Keir_Starmer selected in Holborn & St Pancras. Surely a future Labour leader and PM. You read it here first.

Keith Stamper, you say? I'll be sure to remember the name.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,417
    edited July 5
    rcs1000 said:

He talks like someone who is not an insider any more - like he gets it from the newspapers. I rather assumed he was an insider of sorts still. Maybe he's just enjoying retirement.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860
    rcs1000 said:

I thought he’s been OK tbh. Maybe I had lower expectations.

I can still never forget that he thought that the mushy peas on his chips was guacamole.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,696
    Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

IOW E - Reform thinks it’s close between her, the Tories and the Green. Labour’s candidate not at the count. Result expected 0300

That was one of my most outlandish predictions, a Green gain in IoW East.
    I’m sceptical having taken a few soundings today. The Reform person has never fought an election before and spoke to the local media after wandering about the count for a bit. So possibly not the most reliable data
  • DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 717
    edited July 5

BF thinks Islington North is all over - Corbyn has won

I said I wouldn't lay corbyn more, but backing labour >6 was too good for me. And if it doesn't work I'll just complain to the gambling commission in hope they were insiders :D
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,824
    Latest running totals / percentages after 7 results

Lab +0.8%
    Ref +14.8%
    Con -20.3%
    LD -0.5%
    Grn +3.5%
    Ind +2.0%

Swing from Con to Lab 10.6%

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2024/uk/results
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 22,049
    rcs1000 said:

He must be getting quite old?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,970
    edited July 5
    carnforth said:

rcs1000 said:

He talks like someone who is not an insider any more - like he gets it from the newspapers. I rather assumed he was an insider of sorts still. Maybe he's just enjoying retirement.
    Sounds like an act. It was well reported that he was giving Starmer advice.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,083
    I was in Bristol last week and thought Central would go Green.

We do. This is woefully slow tonight.
    GIN1138 said:

rcs1000 said:

GIN1138 said:

rcs1000 said:

Only 70.
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,971
    SNP candidate selection for Holyrood 2026 is going to look like The Hunger Games on steroids with all the former MPs.
    edited July 5
    Cramlington & Killingworth

Lab 22,274
    Ref 9,454
    Con 8,592
    Grn 2,144
    LD 1,898
    Ind 573

Tory MP comes third, although the boundaries have changed.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,399
    Another NE Labour hold: Cramlington & Killingworth
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,491
    IanB2 said:

IOW E - Reform thinks it’s close between her, the Tories and the Green. Labour’s candidate not at the count. Result expected 0300

Eh? Survation MRP had that as a 90% Labour chance. All the models forecast it as a Labour win.
  • MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,773
    ITV need to add an actual result ticker now.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,342
    My gal Emma Foody wins
  • Owen Jones is broken.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 48,150
    Heathener said:

I was in Bristol last week and thought Central would go Green.

We do. This is woefully slow tonight.
    much as I would like to see the Greens do well, I did rather like Thangam Debbonnaire, and not just for her name.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,365
    Times Radio reports Gillian Keegan has pulled out of her appearance and speculate this is due to her likely losing Chichester.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860

Owen Jones is broken.

He’s an absolute spoon and needs to stop having attention paid to him.
    @paul__johnson
    ‘The first instinct of the Conservative Party will be: you didn’t like what we were offering, we’ll double it’
    -George Osborne
    @lewis_goodall
    Labour HOLD Cramlington in Northumberland.

ANOTHER third place for the Tory Party, second is Reform.

Swindon South the ONLY second place Tory finish so far:
  • ManchesterKurtManchesterKurt Posts: 918
    carnforth said:

Kunnesberg keeps saying "Reform beating conservatives into second place" when she means "third". BBC as a whole off form.

So far, Reform are 7% ahead of the Tories which is what the graphics are showing.
  • EScrymgeourEScrymgeour Posts: 141

Times Radio reports Gillian Keegan has pulled out of her appearance and speculate this is due to her likely losing Chichester.

I do hope so.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,427
    I’d forgotten the most boring time in the election is 1-2pm. 10-12 is fine, lots of good discussion and the early Sunderland counts. But then it goes a bit flat. Should have had a nap.

rcs1000 said:

Think he fancied the Foreign Secretary role (in the style of David Cameron) but once out of the question , sort of has given up an could not care less
    Mandelson has grown old and is trying not to sound smug imo.
    edited July 5

IanB2 said:

Eh? Survation MRP had that as a 90% Labour chance. All the models forecast it as a Labour win.
    Like I explained at length this morning. MRP is a national model, not a local poll, and there is a stack of issues in the seat, especially with the Labour candidate.

Nevertheless nothing I’ve heard yet sounds that authoritative.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,557
    The BBC are persisting with their pointless "swing" from whoever is in first to whoever is in second.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 3,035

to the Lib Dems?
    Scott_xP said:

@lewis_goodall

4th in Gateshead Central!
    edited July 5
    Finchley going LD is a big shock if it happens, most people thought it would go Lab.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
    Scott_xP said:

@lewis_goodall

Would be good if ITV actually informed us of any of these.

carnforth said:

Kunnesberg keeps saying "Reform beating conservatives into second place" when she means "third". BBC as a whole off form.

So far, Reform are 7% ahead of the Tories which is what the graphics are showing.
    No, when she is describing the results of individual counts.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,698

IanB2 said:

Survation final MRP had Labour 470, exit poll 410, Tories 68, exit poll 131, LDs 59, exit 61, Reform 15, exit 13, SNP 14, exit 10.

So this is the election Survation missed it, they got a Labour landslide but significantly overestimated Labour and underestimated the Tories.

Though they got the LDs, Reform and SNP close
    https://www.survation.com/final-survation-mrp-projection-of-the-2024-general-election/
    carnforth said:

Ah yes, Laura Kuenssberg. Or as I like to call her, the Michael Owen of politics.
    https://x.com/mixedknuts/status/1808971891102921147
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,586
    We seem to be hearing about some bad Con defeats - eg Tunbridge Wells, Hitchin, Basildon, Chichester.

Are they going to get 131 seats?
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Like I explained at length this morning. MRP is a model, not a poll, and there is a stack of issues in the seat, especially with the Labour candidate.

Nevertheless nothing I’ve heard yet sounds that authoritative.
    just rumours at present, but pretty much all my Island family were unimpressed by the Lab candidate, and apart from my Tory uncle in Lake leaning Green.

That would be a decent win for the LDs. They do have a strong local candidate there.
  • FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,345
    This is a great election. Glass of wine, popcorn. TV on one monitor, PB on another, Pulpstar's spreadsheet on the other.
  • MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,773
    There’s definitely a Labour ladies look of bobs and bangs
  • PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 578
    Rory Stewart and Zahawi on Channel 4 saying they think we going to drift further away from the exit poll
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,320
    From the provinces.

Some rumours that Sinn Fein are in danger of hashing Fermanagh South Tyrone. It is one of the UKs most marginal seats but boundary changes should have solidified Sinn Feins position. SF parachuted in former leader of the Royal College of Nursing Pat Cullen and would have expected to carry this seat. Have to say it would be a surprise.

UUP even more confident of taking the South Antrim seat from the DUP.

Scott_xP said:

@christopherhope
    LATEST LibDems are declaring victory in these formerly Conservative seats:
    1.⁠ ⁠Torbay
    2.⁠ ⁠North Cornwall
    3.⁠ ⁠Yeovil
    4.⁠ ⁠Eastleigh
    5.⁠ ⁠Wimbledon
    6.⁠ ⁠Woking
    7.⁠ ⁠Guildford
    8.⁠ ⁠South Cambridgeshire
    9.⁠ ⁠Cheadle
    10.⁠ ⁠Hazel Grove
    11.⁠ ⁠Wokingham
    12.⁠ ⁠Lewes

I guess Marquee Mark's canvassing may not have been too accurate..
    MM is Devon South though no?
    edited July 5
    Lib dems own prediction is 47. Not clear if that's seats or gains.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,755
    Scott_xP said:

@lewis_goodall

This is why Reform will end up with about a tenth of the seats of the Tories, but much more than a tenth of the votes.
    mwadams said:

The BBC are persisting with their pointless "swing" from whoever is in first to whoever is in second.

It was a cracking technique, in 1964.

This is a great election. Glass of wine, popcorn. TV on one monitor, PB on another, Pulpstar's spreadsheet on the other.

Only 3 monitors....poor effort.
  • KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,917
    Scott_xP said:

@IainDale

Getting whispers of total Tory carnage in Kent. North Kent corridor going Labour. But most Tory seats on the edge. Of the 18 seats in Kent, Tories may well lose more than 12. LibDems say they've won Tunbridge Wells, which echoes what I am hearing.

Was it not just 9 years ago, in 2015, that Labour had no Kent MPs?
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,615
    MikeL said:

We seem to be hearing about some bad Con defeats - eg Tunbridge Wells, Hitchin, Basildon, Chichester.

I suspect that - despite my pre exit poll forecast of 150 - CON will struggle to get to 130 and it may be closer to 110
    MikeL said:

I think we aren’t. I am surprised that PBers were just celebrating their bets on the 150-200 band. I think the early indications for them are down on the exit poll.

edited July 5
    carnforth said:

Lib dems own prediction is 47 seats.

I wasn't quite sure what they were trying to say there via Nick Watt, whether they meant they're very confident of 47 seats, with additional ones being possible but not so likely.
    Andy_JS said:

Finchley going LD is a big shock if it happens, most people thought it would go Lab.

It won’t.
  • peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,956
    With still very few constituencies having as yet declared, compared with the exit poll, the betting markets have Labour ur 6 seats from 410 to 416, with the Tories down by 7 seats from 131 to 124 .
    At this rate, are the Tories going to fall to below 120 seats that appears quite possible.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,976
    Andy_JS said:

carnforth said:

I wasn't quite sure what they were trying to say there via Nick Watt, whether they meant they're very confident of 47 seats, with others being possible but not so likely.
    47 gains or 47 in total?

Have we imported American hairdressing terminology too?
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,557

carnforth said:

Ah yes, Laura Kuenssberg. Or as I like to call her, the Michael Owen of politics.
    https://x.com/mixedknuts/status/1808971891102921147
    I like Clive though. It would be a good show if Victoria Derbyshire was in the seat next to him.
  • I do think the exit poll is going to undersell Labour.

Survation MRP continues to be bang on.

Enjoy the wine, I'm in the middle of 3 years not drinking.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,609
    Labour should gain Bassetlaw I think. It's close though.
    @IanB2 (and others) something I've often been curious about - am I right in thinking that votes are "mixed up" before counting? So there shouldn't be an effect like a misleading tally from counting e.g. postal votes, or AM votes, or votes from certain bits of the constituency first or whatever?
    Yokes said:

From the provinces.

Some rumours that Sinn Fein are in danger of hashing Fermanagh South Tyrone. It is one of the UKs most marginal seats but boundary changes should have solidified Sinn Feins position. SF parachuted in former leader of the Royal College of Nursing Pat Cullen and would have expected to carry this seat. Have to say it would be a surprise.

UUP even more confident of taking the South Antrim seat from the DUP.

Fermanagh is dodgy though for SF as the DUP not standing to split the unionist vote - should be a fairly easy UUP win
    South Shields Lab Hold, Tories in 4th
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,994
    MikeL said:

Based on Swindon, no they aren't.
    edited July 5
    Harrogate declaration incoming…
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,461
    carnforth said:

Lib dems own prediction is 47. Not clear if that's seats or gains.

That's their "seats we're sure we've won" number.

Andy_JS said:

carnforth said:

I wasn't quite sure what they were trying to say there via Nick Watt, whether they meant they're very confident of 47 seats, with others being possible but not so likely.
    47 gains or 47 in total?
    I don't think that's the claim. It's a claim of 47 "in the bag" so far. Or at least that's my interpretation
    Does anyone have a link to Pulpstar's spreadsheet?
    mwadams said:

even tries to jazz it up with blocks showing majorities (this seemed to surprise the analyst )
  • Ed Millband had the last laugh.
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 7,109
    IanB2 said:

That would be a decent win for the LDs. They do have a strong local candidate there.
    It would be more than decent. We must look against the exit poll now and whether people will over- or under- perform at the margins. That gave them a 15% chance in Chichester.

Bear in mind, of course, that they will be remaining tight-lipped on any that the exit polls give them that they aren't optimistic about. It gives the Mid Sussex for instance - maybe they have that but I was a bit surprised.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,461
    Andy_JS said:

Enjoy the wine, I'm in the middle of 3 years not drinking.
    What, 18 months in?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 22,049
    MikeL said:

We need an update from Sir John :D
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,976
    1:30am. Still only 8 results.

Come on...
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,899

Scott_xP said:

@lewis_goodall

4th in Gateshead Central!
    Sensible people, us folk from The Heed.
    edited July 5
    IanB2 said:

Harrogate declaration incoming…

On which channel am I most likely to be able to watch it? Seem to keep missing them as I switch around.
    Did Leon go to bed? Curious.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442
    Andy_JS said:

It's on their profile
    Andy_JS said:

https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2024/07/04/election-night-guide/ ere
    edited July 5

@IanB2 (and others) something I've often been curious about - am I right in thinking that votes are "mixed up" before counting? So there shouldn't be an effect like a misleading tally from counting e.g. postal votes, or AM votes, or votes from certain bits of the constituency first or whatever?

Yes and no; they’re counted anonymously and the PVs are mixed in, but any given counting table is counting votes from one or two particular boxes - they don’t faff about mixing everything randomly. You have to be eagle eyed at a count to see where a particular box you’re interested in ends up, but it can be done,

If the agents are good, they know the result at verification stage.
    Heathener said:

I suspect asleep but not in bed...

Andy_JS said:

carnforth said:

47 gains or 47 in total?
    Sounded like 47 seats in total, but whether that meant confident of winning 47 seats with others possible, I'm not sure.

1:30am. Still only 8 results.

Come on...

British poor productivity.....Adds to list of things Starmer needs to sort out.
    Heathener said:

Passed out more likely. No stamina.
    edited July 5

I do think the exit poll is going to undersell Labour.

Survation MRP continues to be bang on.

Yeah Labour are outperforming so far on the exit poll IMO
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,941

It makes them look like Lego figures.
    Pulpstar said:

Labour should gain Bassetlaw I think. It's close though.

John Mann's old seat - about the only labour politician I would vote for
    Heathener said:

Dunno. He's not in my bed.
    IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

It won’t.
    Won't what? LD or Lab?
    edited July 5
    Heathener said:

Got overexcited by Reform exit poll number and peaked too soon.
This discussion has been closed.