Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

For Boris Johnson fans, in short BJ sucks – politicalbetting.com

12345679»

Comments

• TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    Heathener said:

I adore multi-cultural Britain. It’s fantastic, vibrant, wonderful. It’s young, energising, global.

So screw you @Leon and all your nasty little fascists

I can just do picture you getting embarrassingly down wiv da yoof at Notting Hill Carnival. Also why have you just spent hundreds of pounds to gain access to the most white, stale, minority excluding gated enclave in the entire country? Feel out of place at womad?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Heathener said:

I adore multi-cultural Britain. It’s fantastic, vibrant, wonderful. It’s young, energising, global.

Et voila
    Heathener said:

Also, lol, you’re a middle aged middle class woman that lives in a nice bit of Devon. So much for the sisterhood - I thought you might feel at least some sympathy for young women in big cities. Helas, non
  • DruttDrutt Posts: 1,116

Drutt said:

Back for the first time in some time.

I live in Cornwall North. Minimal boundary changes since 2019, when it was a comfortable CON gain by 30% over LD. This time around, LD is 3/1 on, Con is 9/4 at WHills. Similar money on the exchanges.

Electoral calculus has LD winning here by 22%
    UK Polling report has CON winning by 8%
    ElectionMaps Nowcast has LD winning by 8%
    ElectionPolling has CON up 6%
    PrincipalFish has LD up 3%
    Economist has LD up 1%

On the ground I have seen no campaigners, and the garden signs are a little bit yellower than they were in 2019. Tory MP not thought of very highly - been very quiet on local stuff since he became a whip. Plenty of leaflets from both CON and LD, and two from RFM, all very boring. Everyone still hates labour here - the genuine trots I know are voting GRN. The seat voted 60% leave.

I think CON hold at 9/4 is value here. Any thoughts?

Yo
    Drutt said:

I live in Cornwall North. Minimal boundary changes since 2019, when it was a comfortable CON gain by 30% over LD. This time around, LD is 3/1 on, Con is 9/4 at WHills. Similar money on the exchanges.

Economist has LD up 1%

On the ground I have seen no campaigners, and the garden signs are a little bit yellower than they were in 2019. Tory MP not thought of very highly - been very quiet on local stuff since he became a whip. Plenty of leaflets from both CON and LD, and two from RFM, all very boring. Everyone still hates labour here - the genuine trots I know are voting GRN. The seat voted 60% leave.

u
    Drutt said:

Economist has LD up 1%

You're a brave man flying in the face of a 22% lead for the LibDems as indicated by Electoral Calculus who is not infallible obviously, but added to your comments about the incumbent Tory M.P. not being "highly tought of" this certainly wouldn't be one for me, even less so at what are fairly skinny odds.
    Electoral calculus are suggesting a 50% swing which, even with the Rishi Sunak Zero Seats program, seems like too much of a jump. I just can't see how they'd have got to that. It would give LD a victory margin 7 points bigger than in 1997, when they were fresh incumbents. The others cluster around lean blue, lean yellow and TCTC, which makes CON 9/4 look like a shout.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    DavidL said:

Apologies if this has been done to death already but bloody hell, the US Supreme Court has done devastating damage to US democracy and the rule of law.

Biden should use these new immunities to lock Trump up until after the election. We can argue about whether that is an official act or not afterwards. Thank God we don’t have a real Supreme Court on this country. If you ever wanted evidence of how dangerous a court without a sovereign Parliament can be look no further.

Surely all he has to do is say that SCOTUS were wrong about the 14th Amendment and boot Trump off the ballot in every state?

I mean, it's a Presidential act so it has immunity, right?
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,089
    Pagan2 said:

Roger said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Why are young French women turning to the hard right? Here is the account, supposedly, from a young Frenchwoman in Lyon

"I am 26 years old, blonde, with light eyes, and I have always lived in the 6th arrondissement of Lyon, which is thought of as the poshest area in Lyon, and my daily life has become unbearable. I write this because, ten years ago, I could go out with my friends in the evening, at any hour, without being bothered, insulted, followed, or stabbed.

I mention stabbing because, three years ago, my boyfriend, along with two of his friends, on their way home, were approached by a group of men. They surrounded them, stole one of their cell phones. They tried to fight back, and my boyfriend, in spite of being a strong rugbyman, got stabbed, in the arm--while protecting his neck, which was the target. Someone tried to cut his throat.

As for myself, on a regular basis, men follow me, insult me because I refuse to talk back or because I say I have a boyfriend. One day, one spit on me. More and more, I am whistled at like a dog, or "ksksks"'d like I am a cat. Acts of this nature have happened to me perhaps thirty times in the past year.

Six months ago, we adopted a puppy. One evening, my boyfriend went out to walk him at 9pm, and three men tried to steal the puppy. Since then, we only go out in the evening as a couple, and I always carry pepper spray in my purse.

In our neighborhood, just in our block, there are three drug dealing spots, which work constantly. Day and night. With everything that entails: watchmen loitering outside our house, milling about, shouting, getting high and bothering people, especially women.

Every single one of the actions I mentioned (and they are only a part of what we have gone through) is the fact of men of sub-Saharan African or North African origin. A white man has never behaved towards me the way they have.

[snip: there is much more, she laments that this sounds racist]

Therefore, for your future, and those of your children or your children-to-be: cast the right vote.”

https://x.com/pegobry_en/status/1807800058597044229?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg

is this all made up? Perhaps. This is not direct from the woman “Lili R”

However, here is the thing. This is basically identical to the account I heard in Egypt from a blonde Australian girl who moved, by mistake, to the “wrong part” of London. Right down to the endless cat calling and the rest. The Australian said she could only get out of her flat by Uber, she felt immensely guilty because her sister was actually sexually assaulted when she came to stay

That was not 2nd hand evidence, that was her first person account of her own life, in London. And she only admitted to it when she was very drunk and tearful, she was aware it sounded “racist”

There ya go. That’s what multiculturalism is REALLY like for young people, especially girls, in big western cities

Back in the 90's I lived with an irish woman who was always very proud of how non racist the irish people were. We rented we got on with our neigbours well and it was a fairly middle class neighbourhood. We had white neighbours, sikh,hindu, muslim etc

Then we bought a house but we could only afford one between the two of us is a less middle class area. After 3 years she had enough of being spat on, called a white whore, white trash for daring to set foot outside the house wearing for example jeans and a t shirt. She ended up because we couldn't sell the place quickly going back to ireland.

Our originals neighbours were great, we got on well. Moving to a more blue collar area of immigrants yes we had issues. Most people here I suspect live in the first type of area not a poorer area so they see our original neighbour types not our subsequent ones
    It doesn't take long before you get the racists on here queuing up. Keep 'em coming....
    I am very far from a racist unlike you, I don't care about creed, colour, or sexuality. I do care about how people act. I already said a lot of the integrated muslims I have no problem with. I do have a problem if they bring their misogyny over here and exercise it which is the scenario I outlined....can't expect you to understand that as you support the casting couch experience
    Don't expect an argument about the evils of misogyny to move Roger. He is notoriously misogynistic.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327

DavidL said:

Apologies if this has been done to death already but bloody hell, the US Supreme Court has done devastating damage to US democracy and the rule of law.

Biden should use these new immunities to lock Trump up until after the election. We can argue about whether that is an official act or not afterwards. Thank God we don’t have a real Supreme Court on this country. If you ever wanted evidence of how dangerous a court without a sovereign Parliament can be look no further.

Surely Biden can just order Trump assassinated? For the record I am not saying I would condone this but I don't see anything that would stop him if he wanted to now that this ruling has been made.

Also does this ruling infrige on impeachment. If a Prsident can commit no crime in the eyes ofthe law then how can one be impeached?
    Yeah why not? Just kill the bastard. That is the world he wanted to live in.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,226
    DavidL said:

You're not thinking big enough.

Biden could have Trump arrested and shot.

Sure there would be years of court action to decide whether his actions were 'official' or 'unofficial' but Biden will have deteriorated so much by then it wont matter.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Why are young French women turning to the hard right? Here is the account, supposedly, from a young Frenchwoman in Lyon

"I am 26 years old, blonde, with light eyes, and I have always lived in the 6th arrondissement of Lyon, which is thought of as the poshest area in Lyon, and my daily life has become unbearable. I write this because, ten years ago, I could go out with my friitends in the evening, at any hour, without being bothered, insulted, followed, or stabbed.

I mention stabbing because, three years ago, my boyfriend, along with two of his friends, on their way home, were approached by a group of men. They surrounded them, stole one of their cell phones. They tried to fight back, and my boyfriend, in spite of being a strong rugbyman, got stabbed, in the arm--while protecting his neck, which was the target. Someone tried to cut his throat.

As for myself, on a regular basis, men follow me, insult me because I refuse to talk back or because I say I have a boyfriend. One day, one spit on me. More and more, I am whistled at like a dog, or "ksksks"'d like I am a cat. Acts of this nature have happened to me perhaps thirty times in the past year.

Six months ago, we adopted a puppy. One evening, my boyfriend went out to walk him at 9pm, and three men tried to steal the puppy. Since then, we only go out in the evening as a couple, and I always carry pepper spray in my purse.

In our neighborhood, just in our block, there are three drug dealing spots, which work constantly. Day and night. With everything that entails: watchmen loitering outside our house, milling about, shouting, getting high and bothering people, especially women.

Every single one of the actions I mentioned (and they are only a part of what we have gone through) is the fact of men of sub-Saharan African or North African origin. A white man has never behaved towards me the way they have.

Therefore, for your future, and those of your children or your children-to-be: cast the right vote.”

https://x.com/pegobry_en/status/1807800058597044229?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg

However, here is the thing. This is basically identical to the account I heard in Egypt from a blonde Australian girl who moved, by mistake, to the “wrong part” of London. Right down to the endless cat calling and the rest. The Australian said she could only get out of her flat by Uber, she felt immensely guilty because her sister was actually sexually assaulted when she came to stay

That was not 2nd hand evidence, that was her first person account of her own life, in London. And she only admitted to it when she was very drunk and tearful, she was aware it sounded “racist”

There ya go. That’s what multiculturalism is REALLY like for young people, especially girls, in big western cities

The time is 7.15 on Radio 4, time for "thought for the day from the very Reverend Leon of Camden.
    OR you could address this issue, because unless lots of women are lying, this is a real real problem, and it also explains why young people are suddenly voting hard right - see the surging popularity of the AfD amongst the young in Germany
    It would be interesting to know if the crime statistics back these sorts of anecdotes up, and the crime is worsening. If not, there are possible options:

*) Crimes are not being reported
    *) The crime stats are otherwise faulty
    *) Some of these anecdotes are untrue
    *) The Internet allows news of the crimes to be spread more.
    *) Disinformation is spreading this stuff for their own purposes.
    Ask @Chameleon who is actually on this forum and is young and lives in london and has also spoken of these exact issues
    I'm not saying it isn't happening: all I'm asking is if it's getting *worse*, as the increase in such anecdotes seems to suggest.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

"I am 26 years old, blonde, with light eyes, and I have always lived in the 6th arrondissement of Lyon, which is thought of as the poshest area in Lyon, and my daily life has become unbearable. I write this because, ten years ago, I could go out with my friitends in the evening, at any hour, without being bothered, insulted, followed, or stabbed.

The time is 7.15 on Radio 4, time for "thought for the day from the very Reverend Leon of Camden.
    OR you could address this issue, because unless lots of women are lying, this is a real real problem, and it also explains why young people are suddenly voting hard right - see the surging popularity of the AfD amongst the young in Germany
    It would be interesting to know if the crime statistics back these sorts of anecdotes up, and the crime is worsening. If not, there are possible options:

*) Crimes are not being reported
    *) The crime stats are otherwise faulty
    *) Some of these anecdotes are untrue
    *) The Internet allows news of the crimes to be spread more.
    *) Disinformation is spreading this stuff for their own purposes.
    Ask @Chameleon who is actually on this forum and is young and lives in london and has also spoken of these exact issues
    I'm not saying it isn't happening: all I'm asking is if it's getting *worse*, as the increase in such anecdotes seems to suggest.
    And that’s a fair question - I too would like to know. And yes it is possible some of these accounts are fake - Putinbots trying to drive votes to the hard right? It’s highly possible

The only reason I posted that French story is that it matched, exactly, a story I heard - in the first person - from a young Aussie woman in london
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

"I am 26 years old, blonde, with light eyes, and I have always lived in the 6th arrondissement of Lyon, which is thought of as the poshest area in Lyon, and my daily life has become unbearable. I write this because, ten years ago, I could go out with my friends in the evening, at any hour, without being bothered, insulted, followed, or stabbed.

Back in the 90's I lived with an irish woman who was always very proud of how non racist the irish people were. We rented we got on with our neigbours well and it was a fairly middle class neighbourhood. We had white neighbours, sikh,hindu, muslim etc

Then we bought a house but we could only afford one between the two of us is a less middle class area. After 3 years she had enough of being spat on, called a white whore, white trash for daring to set foot outside the house wearing for example jeans and a t shirt. She ended up because we couldn't sell the place quickly going back to ireland.

Our originals neighbours were great, we got on well. Moving to a more blue collar area of immigrants yes we had issues. Most people here I suspect live in the first type of area not a poorer area so they see our original neighbour types not our subsequent ones
    My ex wife had a very similar experience in an edgy part of Tooting about ten years ago, when she was a teen, horrific

She is now ex Corbynite, she has “realised her lunacy”, she was “brainwashed into believing all that multicultural crap” - these are her words, not mine. She’s so right wing now she makes me look like a Lib Dem

This is why I firmly believe that young white people will go hard right, and it might be young women leading the way. It is likely inevitable. Who in the name of sanity votes to make the streets notably less safe for themselves?
    Law'n'order has not really featured as an issue lately, certainly not during this election campaign.
    I suspect that may change with a Labour Govt potentially on the back foot, and Labour mayors running all the big cities. It's a definite vulnerability.
    Suspect Starmer will see it coming and put in someone tough as Home Sec, as Blair did with Blunkett and Reid.
    It is definitely driving the hard right vote in Germany

“Crime is out of hand’: how young people turned to far right in east German city
    Germans under 25 gave the AfD 16% of their vote in the European elections, with particular support in the east”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jun/14/young-germans-afd-european-elections

The utterly depressing thing is that I believe there is no moderate way of fixing this now. The young will eventually vote in hard right parties everywhere unless something saves us - like technology? Maybe

@Heathener will no doubt accuse me of exulting in this. Quite the opposite. I find it tragically sad and generally try not to think about it, it is too desolating

I would love the world to be a multicultural paradise with everyone holding hands like in the old Pepsi ads, how wonderful that would be
    Multiracial is fine. Even multicultural is ok up to a low level.

But multicultural where it's 10-20% of the population with different values, and then it starts to fragment a bit.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    rcs1000 said:

Penddu2 said:

I just watched Ed Davey's bunjee jump. People were joking about him doing one... Respect.

People also joked about him wing walking... He wouldn't... Would he?

You know, we all took the piss out of Mr Davey at the start of the campaign. But he's certainly managed to keep himself in the news, which given his party is behind Labour, Reform and Conservatives in the polls, is no small feat.
    Does anyone have a good enough memory to make a realistic comparison with an Ashdown campaign?

IIRC he used to run a schedule that ran journalists into the ground.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    edited July 1
    algarkirk said:

MattW said:

Q&A with Sunak:

Will you stay on as an MP? "Yes"

Will you stay on as party leader? "That would be an ecumenical matter"

I once replied "That is an Ecumenical matter" to a particularly sensitive question in a very tense client meeting.

Everyone fell around laughing and it was left at that.
    I have no idea what it even means in that context. Is this some Sir Humphrey Speak amongst washed-up politicians?

What he actually means is: "That's for the arse brigade" ie the rump Tory MPs.
    In religious context, "The adjective ecumenical is . . . applied to any non-denominational initiative that encourages greater cooperation and union among Christian denominations and churches." (wikipedia)

SO in a political context, is Rishi Sunak referring to potential post-election effort to unite what's gonna be left of CUP with like-minded right-wingers leading, supporting and FUNDING the Faragists?
    It also refers to official universal decisions of the church, the Ecumenical Councils. There are none of these universally accepted since the 7th century (some think earlier) because of course the church divides as soon as any decision is made.

However Father Jack may be referring to the Roman habit of declaring all its councils 'ecumenical' on the simple belief that in the Roman church subsists the entire of the true church, so he may be referring not to Nicaea or Chalcedon but to novelties like the Lateran Councils, Trent or Vatican II, which last occurred but yesterday in church time. That's the one which made singing 'Kumbaya' compulsory.

-------------------
    Quotes borked. I start here:

I don't think I see the Ecumenical Council reference in a British sitcom for a British audience - an Irish one maybe, unless it was an in joke or Easter Egg.

No British general audience has any knowledge about religion, so humour consists in stroking stereotypes, and similarly for press coverage.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,042
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

My ex wife had a very similar experience in an edgy part of Tooting about ten years ago, when she was a teen, horrific

She is now ex Corbynite, she has “realised her lunacy”, she was “brainwashed into believing all that multicultural crap” - these are her words, not mine. She’s so right wing now she makes me look like a Lib Dem

This is why I firmly believe that young white people will go hard right, and it might be young women leading the way. It is likely inevitable. Who in the name of sanity votes to make the streets notably less safe for themselves?
    Law'n'order has not really featured as an issue lately, certainly not during this election campaign.
    I suspect that may change with a Labour Govt potentially on the back foot, and Labour mayors running all the big cities. It's a definite vulnerability.
    Suspect Starmer will see it coming and put in someone tough as Home Sec, as Blair did with Blunkett and Reid.
    It is definitely driving the hard right vote in Germany

“Crime is out of hand’: how young people turned to far right in east German city
    Germans under 25 gave the AfD 16% of their vote in the European elections, with particular support in the east”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jun/14/young-germans-afd-european-elections

The utterly depressing thing is that I believe there is no moderate way of fixing this now. The young will eventually vote in hard right parties everywhere unless something saves us - like technology? Maybe

@Heathener will no doubt accuse me of exulting in this. Quite the opposite. I find it tragically sad and generally try not to think about it, it is too desolating

I would love the world to be a multicultural paradise with everyone holding hands like in the old Pepsi ads, how wonderful that would be

Maybe, but the former East Germany has both much higher AfD support and much lower immigration (and Ukrainians are now the biggest foreign-born population in states like Saxony).

Of course Germany has a quite bad record on rape and sexual assault. Marital rape only became a crime in 1997. Physical resistance (rather than lack of consent) was needed for rape and sexual assault until 2016, and so on.
This discussion has been closed.