Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is France about to surrender to the far right? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,814
    edited June 30
    Joe Biden appears to think Paris is in Italy...

Mr Biden made another gaffe over the weekend as he sought to calm the nerves of anxious donors at a campaign reception in New York. The US president claimed Trump referred to America’s war dead as “losers” and “suckers” when he cancelled a visit to Aisne-Marne American Cemetery, near Paris, in 2018. Mr Biden mistakenly said the cemetery was located in Italy

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/06/30/biden-trump-debate-president-democrats-election/

It is clear the Democrats are going to keep going with these stories about Trump which have dubious evidence for being true. I would stick to the mountain of definitely true shit you can throw at him.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 65,038

The US response to France leaving Nato in 1968 can be contrasted with The Soviet Union's response to Czechoslovakia leaving the Warsaw pact in the same year.

In the end we all know it as North Korea that attacked the South and North Vietnam that attacked the South with Chinese and Soviet support respectively.

Vietnam serves as an example for other reasons.
    The argument in the US about the lack of justification for its continued involvement there brought down two presidents.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,692
    edited June 30

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Omg Francois Hollande the ultimate pathetic loser doing a big speech all about how important he is and how he was brilliant

Surely D J Trump was the ultimate pathetic loser in 2020?
    Hiliary Clinton refusing to give a concession speech in 2016 because she couldn't pull herself together beats that easily.
    Nah, the attack on Capitol Hill in 2021 Trumps that even more easily.
    I confess I have not read the court transcripts, so I can't say where it stood on the scale from sit-in to coup. But if it were leftists, it would have been called a sit-in.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,273
    I think the French result will embolden some Tories to vote for Reform.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 50,484
    One more point: France 24 English HAS got a politician from La France Insoumise the almost openly anti Semitic and quasi Marxist corbynite alliance and she is getting a lot of time to talk

But no one from the party which just won the election on an historic turnout

Its like the BBC had an election night and it featured George Galloway and Owen jones and Gordon brown and maybe Rory Stewart at best on a night when reform won the election and they all discussed how they could sabotage the reform victory, encouraged by the bbc journos
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 94,270
    edited June 30
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Omg Francois Hollande the ultimate pathetic loser doing a big speech all about how important he is and how he was brilliant

Hiliary Clinton refusing to give a concession speech in 2016 because she couldn't pull herself together beats that easily.
    I confess I have not read the court transcripts, so I can't say where it stood on the scale from sit-in to coup. But if it were leftists, it would have been called a sit-in.
    A mob stormed the Capitol to prevent the peaceful transfer of power, and people died. No it wouldn't have.

All manner of speculation about what could have happened could occur, but what happened, happened.
  • Options

The idea that a voter of country A gives a shit about country B is nonsense. It's like pretending people voted Trump because of Brexit.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,956

Mr Biden made another gaffe over the weekend as he sought to calm the nerves of anxious donors at a campaign reception in New York. The US president claimed Trump referred to America’s war dead as “losers” and “suckers” when he cancelled a visit to Aisne-Marne American Cemetery, near Paris, in 2018. Mr Biden mistakenly said the cemetery was located in Italy

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/06/30/biden-trump-debate-president-democrats-election/

It is clear the Democrats are going to keep going with these stories about Trump which have dubious evidence for being true. I would stick to the mountain of definitely true shit you can throw at him.

That would be the story confirmed by Trump's own Chief of Staff?
    https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/4239713-trump-rips-kelly-after-confirmation-of-suckers-remark/
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,043
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

I've never heard of anybody being killed or so many police officers being injured during a sit-in.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

A mob stormed the Capitol to prevent the peaceful transfer of power, and people died. No it wouldn't have.

All manner of speculation about what could have happened could occur, but what happened, happened.
    "People died":

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/11/how-many-died-as-a-result-of-capitol-riot/
  • Options
    edited June 30
    MattW said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/4239713-trump-rips-kelly-after-confirmation-of-suckers-remark/
    "Kelly came under fire for his criticism of the Florida Democrat in 2017 after a released video showed he misrepresented her remarks from a FBI building dedication in 2015."

Trump claims he has many witnesses that say it was a lie. He could be bullshitting, but Biden also went with the "fine people on both sides" which is another misrepresentation what he actually said (even Snopes debunked that one).

Like I say, its not like there is a shortage of stuff to chuck at Trump. He lied repeatedly during the debate live on tv. They could easily hammer him with that rather than disputed stories about things said in private.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

The idea that a voter of country A gives a shit about country B is nonsense. It's like pretending people voted Trump because of Brexit.
    Not really. The headlines are going to be "far right makes big gains in France" and voters will see that. I'm not saying they care about France but I think humans are encouraged to roll the dice when they see others doing the same.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 55,109

MattW said:

"Kelly came under fire for his criticism of the Florida Democrat in 2017 after a released video showed he misrepresented her remarks from a FBI building dedication in 2015."

Trump claims he has many witnesses that say it was a lie.
    Could I perhaps hear it from the witnesses, rather than from DJT?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,267
    TimS said:

Ratters said:

Leon said:

Obviously the French election results indicate a pretty dramatic shift. But I'm not as convinced as others that they are that seismic - it's not as if Le Pen/RN have swept the board. I know it's stating the obvious, but they won just over a third of the votes on a high turnout; two thirds didn't vote for them, and the left was only six points behind. It just doesn't indicate to me a huge passion for RN across all France.

lol! They’ve gone from 10% to 34% in a few years
    And this new triumph is on a relatively huge turnout

The French WANT this
    I don't think we should fear RN winning a majority and/or the French Presidency, even for those of us that are liberals that oppose Le Pen's policies. Democracy is about countries trying out new ideas and seeing if they work in practice. Given France's recent history of quickly learning to hate whoever is in power, I'd be amazed if things didn't swing back before long. And I don't think she is a threat to democracy in the way Trump is.

My one point of real concern is RN's previous friendliness to Putin. France probably has the best military in the EU and is influential on such matters. A softening of the pro-Ukraine position would be very unhelpful in a world where Europe needs to step up to fill the gap left by a Trump presidency. Maybe Le Pen has learnt her lesson there. We'll see.

In any case, we can definitively conclude that Macron's election gamble is going about as well as Sunak's, except much much worse given he had no need to call it for three years.
    That’s where I am too. I don’t care about their domestic influence, so long as they remain all mouth and no trousers and don’t start doing kristallnachts. Meloni is a reassuring precedent. But the Putin thing is more worrying.
    Meloni was an anti-mafia conservative catholic and protegee of Berlusconi so I never quite got the fear. From a distance she seems to have done okay controlling her dodgier coalition allies.
  • Options

carnforth said:

Not really. The headlines are going to be "far right makes big gains in France" and voters will see that. I'm not saying they care about France but I think humans are encouraged to roll the dice when they see others doing the same.
    I don't think Reform voters think they are far right.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

I don't think Reform voters think they are far right.
    I agree but they are aware that the "MSM" thinks they are.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,006

JL partners have a very detailed write up of their SRP released today.

https://jlpartners.co.uk/first-jl-partners-srp-model-shows-labour-on-course-for-a-landslide

Stacked Regression and Poststratification (SRP) and Multilevel Regression and Poststratification (MRP) differ in the way they make predictions. The main difference is that the former uses more than one model, including but not limited to Multilevel Regression, to make predictions whilst the latter relies solely on the Multilevel Regression model. The second major difference is that SRP uses non-parametric Machine Learning Models as part of its architecture which offers advantages over parametric alternatives.

The use of stacking, combining estimates from many models into a single final estimate, underpins algorithms like Random Forests and Neural Networks. The main advantage of this kind of stacking is that we can use different models to probe different parts of the data giving a more holistic set of predictions that consider many different facets of the data. This includes models that are superior at unpicking the constituency level predictors whilst other models can investigate the individual level effects in much more detail. Some models, like Multilevel Regression, can analyse both the individual level and constituency level data simultaneously. The combination of these models then produces estimates that more accurately represent the nuances in the underlying data.

The majority of models used in our stacking procedure are “non-parametric”. One of the major inputs that goes into any MRP is the underlying structure of the model that link the predictors chosen by the modeller to the vote intention of individuals. This underlying structure is ultimately arbitrary and there are theoretically many trillions of possible underlying models that could be used. This is what makes MRP parametric – the modeller decides the interactions and relationship. Furthermore, MRP is inherently linear (unless otherwise specified) which can ignore more complex relationships in the data. A non-parametric model, like a random forest, can approximate the true underlying relationship that links the predictor variables to vote intention without input from the modeller. All the modeller does is select the variables used for prediction.

This offers obvious advantages. It reduces the number of assumptions that the modeller has to make in terms of selecting the parameterisation of the model whilst also allowing the model to find the best possible, arbitrary, combination of parameters.

The inclusion of multiple non-parametric models offers advantages to making seat estimates as it hugely reduces the effect of modeller-based decisions. It also offers improved accuracy in terms of fitting the underlying data and uses the most up-to-date methods for classification problems.

I'm not sure this works.
  • Options
    edited June 30
    rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

Trump claims he has many witnesses that say it was a lie.
    Could I perhaps hear it from the witnesses, rather than from DJT?
    As I say, I wouldn't even play that game. Also, you can then get into the tit for tat of the nonsense fake stories Biden loves to tell.

If I was the democrats I would stick to the 100s of hours of Trump on camera lying rather than getting into he said / she said stuff or the twisting of things he said. There is just so many things you can get him on you don't need to stretch the elastic at all. In fact you give him an out as he plays the "they lie about me, they always lie about me".
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,100
    edited June 30

Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:
    Hold on. That map seems to show that where our roving reporter, @Leon, has spent all week breathlessly reporting from sports bars that it is LePen all the way, actually support the Left.

What are you fucking talking about you dull twat

I spoke about ONE town. Called Guingamp. Go check the map. It voted Le Pen
    Ok. Fair point. But only just. Looks quite split to me.

And I may be a twat but I'm not dull. :smile:
    Hah. Fair play you were polite in response to my sourness. I just get weary of being mischaracterised. Apologies for snapping

I really do try to report honestly what I see - and Guingamp was fascinating. You are quite right it is wildly divided - I saw that there: far left posters ripped down then far right graffiti then further left wing graffiti over that etc etc

Elsewhere in France the election has been invisible this week. But not in that town
    Sadly, despite what will happen here next week, I fear this kind of deep division is where we are headed in say a decade's time.
    We are unless our government can connect with the people and reform our society.

We all have to hope Labour are up to it. I have my doubts, but I hope I am wrong. I will nevertheless give them a chance and I hope that they run a successful government.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

kle4 said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

"People died":

I find it staggering that four police officers took their own lives in the aftermath of the riot.

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,847
    I find myself in the invidious position of wishing hurricane-induced devastation onto the Cayman Islands, because it would justify the decision of my in-laws to abandon their 9-day long sojourn there on the basis of my reading of the forecast for Hurricane Beryl. Of course, I don't really want to see trees uprooted, hotels flooded, and foolhardy tourists sobbing their guts out to the BBC. I just want to appreciate the impressive technical feat of numerical models forecasting a hurricane track many days in advance.
  • Options
    edited June 30
    rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

"People died":

I find it staggering that four police officers took their own lives in the aftermath of the riot.

And even if we say no one died on the day or as a result of it for sake of argument, an attempt to violently prevent the peaceful transfer of power would not be called a sit in if it was done by the left.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,859

I doubt it, most of those still voting Tory won't be keen on Le Pen, could even encourage some LDs to vote Tory to stop Reform.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,665
    Heywood & Middleton North is the only seat in England/Wales where the Greens aren't standing.

Useless election fact.
  • Options
    edited June 30
    Andy_JS said:

Heywood & Middleton North is the only seat in England/Wales where the Greens aren't standing.

Useless election fact.

There are no useless facts, only ones whose relevance is not immediately obvious. And that is no bad things.
  • Options
    edited June 30
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Obviously the French election results indicate a pretty dramatic shift. But I'm not as convinced as others that they are that seismic - it's not as if Le Pen/RN have swept the board. I know it's stating the obvious, but they won just over a third of the votes on a high turnout; two thirds didn't vote for them, and the left was only six points behind. It just doesn't indicate to me a huge passion for RN across all France.

The French WANT this
    Actually, I'd turn it around slightly.

France is deeply fucked, because 34% of people want Le Pen, 28% of people want crazy Left Wingers (just five percentage points below Le Pen), and only about a third of people want someone else. And even this other third include people who want other crazies.

Now, I'm not particularly scared by Ms Le Pen being a crazy right winger, largely because her policies aren't particularly crazy or right wing.

But I do worry about the French economy if someone gets in charge whose prescription for economic issues is rather Jeremy Corbyn. France under Mme Le Pen would be all about subsidies to French "champions", rather than about competition and innovation. It's like someone suffering from liver disease, and thinking the solution is more alcohol.
    France now basically has its largest party a more statist version of Farage's Reform party but still as anti immigrant, the opposition led by the French Corbyn with the French Tories and LDs trailing in a distant third and trying to cobble together a deal to contain the top 2
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,442
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

"People died":

And even if we say no one died on the day or as a result of it for sake of argument, an attempt to violiently prevent the peaceful transfer of power would not be called a sit in if it was done by the left.
    And this is why Biden can't be the candidate. Trump needs to be defeated - Biden won't be the person to do it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

"People died":

And even if we say no one died on the day or as a result of it for sake of argument, an attempt to violiently prevent the peaceful transfer of power would not be called a sit in if it was done by the left.
    Certainly not by Fox News, but I think it would have been excused as such by the Left.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,472
    edited June 30
    rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

"People died":

Police officers in general have a fairly high suicide rate. More kill themselves than die in the line of duty.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8056254/
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Useless election fact.

There are no useless facts, only ones whose relevance is not immediately obvious. And that is no bad things.
    Whenever I write useless fact it's tongue in cheek.
  • Options
    Leon said:

One more point: France 24 English HAS got a politician from La France Insoumise the almost openly anti Semitic and quasi Marxist corbynite alliance and she is getting a lot of time to talk

Its like the BBC had an election night and it featured George Galloway and Owen jones and Gordon brown and maybe Rory Stewart at best on a night when reform won the election and they all discussed how they could sabotage the reform victory, encouraged by the bbc journos

65.5% doesn't seem like that high a turnout. It's lower than the last UK election.
  • Options
    edited June 30
    carnforth said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

"People died":

Certainly not by Fox News, but I think it would have been excused as such by the Left.
    We may well find out next year if Trump wins re-election. But in absence of it happening to date, what worth is the speculation?
  • Options
    It's possible the SNP might just edge the popular vote in Scotland but Labour wins most seats. Quite a likely scenario imo.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

65.5% doesn't seem like that high a turnout. It's lower than the last UK election.
    It's very high for them (though apparently that may be due to not taking place after a presidential election like previous ones).
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

"People died":

Police officers in general have a fairly high suicide rate. More kill themselves than die in the line of duty.

Sure, but that's still an insane suicide rate in a short period of time, for what is a very small number of police officers.
  • Options
    Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 129
    edited June 30
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

"People died":

Sure, but that's still an insane suicide rate in a short period of time, for what is a very small number of police officers.
    Being suddenly thrust into the limelight and going *viral* in some sense is, I would guess, strongly correlated with suicide.

Us humans, we're not made for fame.

Also, Police culture in the US is pretty rightwing. Friends/family/Facebook acquaintances etc would probably have been on the other side of the argument for many/most of the officers.

The immediate, public, social ostracism must have been immense, which is one of the key predictors of suicide.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It's possible the SNP might just edge the popular vote in Scotland but Labour wins most seats. Quite a likely scenario imo.

Indeed, Unionist tactical voting
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

"People died":

And this is why Biden can't be the candidate. Trump needs to be defeated - Biden won't be the person to do it.
    He did it in 2020, the post debate polls still show it near tied
  • Options
    @GoodwinMJ
    'What you're witnessing in France tonight is the onward march of national populism. As I've said for years, it will only get stronger until elites ADDRESS concerns about mass immigration, Islamism, weak borders, wokeism & the erosion of Western societies'
    https://x.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1807479195313836117
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

@GoodwinMJ
    'What you're witnessing in France tonight is the onward march of national populism. As I've said for years, it will only get stronger until elites ADDRESS concerns about mass immigration, Islamism, weak borders, wokeism & the erosion of Western societies'

Matthew Goodwin would have happily worked for Hitler.
  • Options
    edited June 30

HYUFD said:

@GoodwinMJ

Do you want to risk getting sued by Goodwin?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

@GoodwinMJ

I think it's evidenced, he's utterly obsessed with talking points of the far right and has been for some time. So yes, he would have happily worked for Hitler just as he is happily cheering on the fascists in France.
  • Options
    edited June 30
    HYUFD said:

@GoodwinMJ

That man is an embarrassment to the enterprise of academia.

Today's essay question for the fresh faced, undergraduate, Matthew Goodwin, is.....

Define Woke/Wokeism.

Mark Scheme;

1. Answers that boil down to *a collection of things I don't like* are not acceptable. 0/100
    2. Answers that conflate a dislike of Islamism with a dislike of Pride/Homosexuality/LGBTQ people, without teasing out the nuances, are not acceptable either. 0/100

I could go on.

Instead, I shall make this prediction;

Among Matthew Goodwin's twitter/social media followers is the next David Copeland.

Discuss....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

@GoodwinMJ

The only problem with this analysis is that there was also record support (28%), for a party who wants to completely open the doors to all asylum seekers.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,540
    How do politicians "address wokeism" which exists as a stick to beat those said politicians with? Goodwin's honest answer to this should be that he wants people to vote for Farage style parties that promise to slash the state with supremacism as the compensation, Mississippi style.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

@GoodwinMJ

Today's essay question for the fresh faced, undergraduate, Matthew Goodwin, is.....

Define Woke/Wokeism.

Mark Scheme;

1. Answers that boil down to *a collection of things I don't like* are not acceptable. 0/100
    2. Answers that conflate a dislike of Islamism with a dislike of Pride/Homosexuality/LGBTQ people, without teasing out the nuances, are not acceptable either. 0/100

I could go on.

Among Matthew Goodwin's twitter/social media followers is the next David Copeland.

Discuss....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_London_nail_bombings
  • Options
    BournvilleBournville Posts: 307
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

@GoodwinMJ

The only problem with this analysis is that there was also record support (28%), for a party who wants to completely open the doors to all asylum seekers.
    "The only problem with the analysis that the French electorate want to restrict migration is the party which wants to increase migration lost to the party which wants to restrict migration" . Great stuff!!
  • Options
    edited July 1

HYUFD said:

@GoodwinMJ

Define Woke/Wokeism.

Mark Scheme;

I could go on.

Discuss....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_London_nail_bombings
    Also, I don't understand why Matthew Goodwin has exempted the Jews from his *Amalgamation of people/groups/things that good old fashioned conservatives, like him, don't like*

It's only very recently that they've become the fashionable in-group, mainly because muslims are the fashionable outgroup, and, y'know, the enemies enemy etc etc.

I'm just a bit disappointed in him. The next, more successful incarnation of Matthew Goodwin will surely find a way to weave - at least subtle - antisemitism into his worldview.
  • Options
    The French election has made me think about voting Labour for the first time.
  • Options
    edited July 1
    Andy_JS said:

My hope (note: not prediction) is that the British right emerges from this unhappy episode of governmental failure, in a healthier position, putting forward a, ahem, forward looking agenda for our country in 5 years time.

If it can happen anywhere, it can happen here.

Indeed, I think it's odds-on that the world's next Thatcher/Reagan will pop up in Britain, as opposed to anywhere else. The Le Pen's and Milei's are false prophets.

Not with the Thatcher/Reagan agenda, obviously, but the obvious successor to it. Which won't be obvious to any of us, until it emerges.

Someone, somewhere on the right is doing some deep thinking right now.

Incredibly unlikely adjunct: That person is probably trans*
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,442

Andy_JS said:

My hope (note: not prediction) is that the British right emerges from this unhappy episode of governmental failure, in a healthier position, putting forward a, ahem, forward looking agenda for our country in 5 years time.

If it can happen anywhere, it can happen here.

Indeed, I think it's odds-on that the world's next Thatcher/Reagan will pop up in Britain, as opposed to anywhere else. The Le Pen's and Milei's are false prophets.

Not with the Thatcher/Reagan agenda, obviously, but the obvious successor to it. Which won't be obvious to any of us, until it emerges.

Someone, somewhere on the right is doing some deep thinking right now.

Incredibly unlikely adjunct: That person is probably trans*
    I keep throwing copies of Anarchy, State and Utopia at my trans friends in the hope of converting them. To me the idea of individual rights and not being told what to do by the state or other people and being trans seems like an obvious match, but they are all a bunch of leftie greens, alas.
  • Options
    edited July 1
    Andy_JS said:

Steady on, don't going any too rash that you might regret in the morning..... ;-)
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,308
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

That's horseshit.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

@GoodwinMJ

"The only problem with the analysis that the French electorate want to restrict migration is the party which wants to increase migration lost to the party which wants to restrict migration" . Great stuff!!
    I perhaps put it poorly. Support for the extremes - Don't Let Anyone In! And Let Everyone In! - have risen to record levels. Just like in America, with Trump, there is a reflexive "anti everything they support" thing.

I'd also note that last legislative elections in France, Goodwin was pointing not to the fact that EM did well, but to the fact that support for the (then called) FN had risen to a record.
  • Options
    These are the 26 new Tory MPs who are likely to be elected on Thursday imo:

Gareth Williams, Katie Lam, Bradley Thomas, Mhairi Fraser, Alison Griffiths,
    Aphra Brandreth, Andrew Snowden, Mark Brooks, Sarah Bool, Charlie Dewhurst,
    Lewis Cocking, David Reed, Jack Rankin, Peter Fortune, Will Tanner,
    Patrick Spence, Rebecca Smith, Nikki da Costa, John Cooper, Rebecca Paul,
    Peter Bedford, Blake Stephenson, Nick Timothy, Nathan Gamester, Ashley Fox,
    Harriet Cross.

There's also Tania Mathias, who was previously MP for Vince Cable's seat of Twickenham between 2015 and 2017.
  • Options
    edited July 1
    ooh interesting. Dailymail.co.uk now sponsored by reform.

Someone's got deep pockets.

Interesting it's not the Conservatives.
  • Options
    edited July 1

ooh interesting. Dailymail.co.uk now sponsored by reform.

Someone's got deep pockets.

Interesting it's not the Conservatives.

Zia Yusuf gave them a big donation and Tice is super wealthy. Nobody is giving the Tories any money, I don't think they have even got their usual big bung from the likes of JCB.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,867
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

@GoodwinMJ

I perhaps put it poorly. Support for the extremes - Don't Let Anyone In! And Let Everyone In! - have risen to record levels. Just like in America, with Trump, there is a reflexive "anti everything they support" thing.

I'd also note that last legislative elections in France, Goodwin was pointing not to the fact that EM did well, but to the fact that support for the (then called) FN had risen to a record.
    The sad thing here is that the assumption is that addressing issues is, itself, extreme.

The extremism is in the answers.

Come up with answers that are not extreme.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 51,235
    Andy_JS said:

Useless election fact.

So who are their donors, to have come up with £300k in deposits?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Useless election fact.

There's no shortage of loons out there. The Green Party of England has 55,000 members.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,806
    HYUFD said:

I doubt it, most of those still voting Tory won't be keen on Le Pen, could even encourage some LDs to vote Tory to stop Reform.
    But much better, young HY, to vote Lib Dem to stop both Reform and today's irresponsible Tories.
  • Options
    edited July 1
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Useless election fact.

I think Dale Vince gives Green Party money as well as Labour. Also lots of the marxist loving eco-fascist overthrow the system mob are actually very wealthy (it why they can spend all day lying down on roads and splattering paintings in art galleries rather than having to be at a job).
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,727
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

This is a good point. Not being at all familiar with the French system, I wondered if low turnout in the first round was down to a lot of voters not bothering to appear until the second - but in the previous Parliamentary poll turnout was similar (and below 50%) in both rounds.

French voters appear to care more about the presidency, albeit that turnout in presidential elections has been in decline for some time.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 11,021
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Barking. Do you own a TV?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 65,038
    edited July 1
    This is an under appreciated element in Biden 's decision making about his future, I suspect.

I think the punditocracy might have carried more weight with this admin had they ever called for Trump to leave, ever seriously examined his mental health, ever credited Biden with accomplishments or ever treated his VP fairly. He not unreasonably thinks they are full of it..
    https://x.com/JRubinBlogger/status/1807619789239587269
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,062
    Leon said:

LePen’s Far Right party attained roughly 20% of the electorate in the first round of voting. 4 out of every 5 French voters did not cast their vote for her party. As ever, your anarchism is hyperbole.

Furthermore they haven’t ‘won’ anything yet and commentators doubt she will gain a majority next week.

As ever, the Far Right in France flatter to deceive.
  • Options
    sbjme19sbjme19 Posts: 189
    Andy_JS said:

Harriet Cross.

There's also Tania Mathias, who was previously MP for Vince Cable's seat of Twickenham between 2015 and 2017.

Can't really comment without looking up which seats.
  • Options
    I’ve mentioned previously that I think the UK got the right-wing phase out of its system with Brexit in 2016, confirmed in 2019.

We are ahead of the curve on this and are about to swing back to a large Centre-Left majority.

Leading the way for the western world. Once other EU countries have had their justifiable say about centralised elitism and mass migration, they will follow.

We’ve a great opportunity now and I expect Lab-LibDem-SNP-Green to seize it

The Centre-Left will be in power in Britain for a long time.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,452
    I agree with Gallowgate. You're a pissed off right wing Tory. You've all but decided to vote yet again for your crappy Lib Dem in a blue rosette candidate parachuted in by CCHQ, just to keep Labour out. You hear the news that the far right has swept to power in France. The thought of voting Tory in a vain attempt to hang on to Rishi Sunak just looks faintly risible in that context. Blow it, you think, I'll vote Reform.
  • Options
    MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 1,019
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

The French WANT this

France is deeply fucked, because 34% of people want Le Pen, 28% of people want crazy Left Wingers (just five percentage points below Le Pen), and only about a third of people want someone else. And even this other third include people who want other crazies.

Now, I'm not particularly scared by Ms Le Pen being a crazy right winger, largely because her policies aren't particularly crazy or right wing.

But I do worry about the French economy if someone gets in charge whose prescription for economic issues is rather Jeremy Corbyn. France under Mme Le Pen would be all about subsidies to French "champions", rather than about competition and innovation. It's like someone suffering from liver disease, and thinking the solution is more alcohol.
    France now basically has its largest party a more statist version of Farage's Reform party but still as anti immigrant, the opposition led by the French Corbyn with the French Tories and LDs trailing in a distant third and trying to cobble together a deal to contain the top 2
    Which is much what we are likely to see in 2029, unless Starmer can pull off a miracle.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

@GoodwinMJ

When financially incontinent people get booted out of their house and end up in a bedsit as they have run out of money and got into debt, they generally blame two lots of people.

1) The state for not giving them enough money.

2) Those around them for stitching them up.

Thats France, that is.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,817

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

The French WANT this

Which is much what we are likely to see in 2029, unless Starmer can pull off a miracle.
    Rubbish. The RN/FN has always been bigger than Farage, and while Le Pen has been more open about the support from Russia she has received, Farage has the albatross of Brexit around his neck, which will continue to place a ceiling upon his electoral ambitions.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,687
    Shocking, I hear they are also planning to put a leftie in as Chancellor. Can you imagine!?
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,817

I agree with Gallowgate. You're a pissed off right wing Tory. You've all but decided to vote yet again for your crappy Lib Dem in a blue rosette candidate parachuted in by CCHQ, just to keep Labour out. You hear the news that the far right has swept to power in France. The thought of voting Tory in a vain attempt to hang on to Rishi Sunak just looks faintly risible in that context. Blow it, you think, I'll vote Reform.

Except that most Tory candidates these days are on the right of their party and there are few to nine that could be described as Lib Dem manque
  • Options
    sbjme19 said:

Andy_JS said:

Harriet Cross.

Blake Stephenson is certainly not a Shoo in. Mid Beds currently has a Labour MP who has aquitted himself well since Nadine went off in a huff.

He is standing in Hitchen this time as boundary tweaks put his home in that constitiency but Dorries may well have poisoned the mid beds challenge for a generation.

I would add Chris Loder in West Dorset to your shoo in list
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,949
    carnforth said:

kle4 said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

"People died":

That link confirms that people died.
  • Options
    You mean the existing one isn't?. One of the Tories failures was not abolishing Quangos or purging leftists from those not abolished.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,660
    Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

The French WANT this

Rubbish. The RN/FN has always been bigger than Farage, and while Le Pen has been more open about the support from Russia she has received, Farage has the albatross of Brexit around his neck, which will continue to place a ceiling upon his electoral ambitions.
    It will not be under Farage, but there may well come a day when Reform, a variant or offshoot thereof considers taking us back into the European polity wholesale. I think it is a long way down the road but the pieces within the EU could line up to make it a possibility one day.
    Europe and Britain will align on immigration over time imv and the long term trend will not be to the left.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,949
    Heathener said:

I’ve mentioned previously that I think the UK got the right-wing phase out of its system with Brexit in 2016, confirmed in 2019.

We are ahead of the curve on this and are about to swing back to a large Centre-Left majority.

Leading the way for the western world. Once other EU countries have had their justifiable say about centralised elitism and mass migration, they will follow.

Maybe. Maybe it’s simpler than that: whoever was in power during a period of high inflation gets voted out.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,687

You mean the existing one isn't?. One of the Tories failures was not abolishing Quangos or purging leftists from those not abolished.
    The Tories created that post!
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

LePen’s Far Right party attained roughly 20% of the electorate in the first round of voting. 4 out of every 5 French voters did not cast their vote for her party. As ever, your anarchism is hyperbole.

Furthermore they haven’t ‘won’ anything yet and commentators doubt she will gain a majority next week.

Blair got a majority of 66 on a vote of 21% of the electorate in 2005. (35.2% on 61.4% turnout).
  • Options
    By the way, in other French news, yesterday French riders won back-to-back stages in Le Tour de France (men’s) for the first time in 45 years.

Thought I’d mention it. Lots of sport around at the moment, with Wimbledon starting today. Yay!
  • Options

Heathener said:

Maybe. Maybe it’s simpler than that: whoever was in power during a period of high inflation gets voted out.
    High inflation caused by putting the entire population under house arrest for a couple of years off and on and forcing them to wear useless face nappies in public, in response to a nasty cold bug that primarily impacts people over 80 and those with other comorbidities.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,963
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Unfortunately in they won over 33% of the vote. That's one in three voters.

Pretending non voters are voters is just . . . Lying.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,660

sbjme19 said:

Andy_JS said:

Harriet Cross.

Blake Stephenson is certainly not a Shoo in. Mid Beds currently has a Labour MP who has aquitted himself well since Nadine went off in a huff.

He is standing in Hitchen this time as boundary tweaks put his home in that constitiency but Dorries may well have poisoned the mid beds challenge for a generation.

I would add Chris Loder in West Dorset to your shoo in list
    You'd better get down the bookies asap my friend, 11-4 for a 'shoo in' is an astonishing price
  • Options
    edited July 1
    Heathener said:

By the way, in other French news, yesterday French riders won back-to-back stages in Le Tour de France (men’s) for the first time in 45 years.

Thought I’d mention it. Lots of sport around at the moment, with Wimbledon starting today. Yay!

The drugs some of the riders are on this year is looking like top quality shit. 4hrs in a break away in scorching heat and absolutely no problem flying up a hill climb with gradients of as high as 20%, twice, at such a rate the peloton couldn't catch them. Maybe they should give Biden some.
  • Options

Heathener said:

High inflation caused by putting the entire population under house arrest for a couple of years off and on and forcing them to wear useless face nappies in public, in response to a nasty cold bug that primarily impacts people over 80 and those with other comorbidities.
    I’ve watched you over the past fortnight hopping closer and closer to that rabbit hole. Getting close now.

Keep going and you’ll be joining Laurence Fox and Sean Thomas down there.
  • Options
    edited July 1

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Unfortunately in they won over 33% of the vote. That's one in three voters.

Yah but my point is that turnout wasn’t as high as some UK elections and the fact is that they ‘only’ secured 1 in 5 of the French electorate in the first round. Re-read what I wrote.

This is an important point in an age of hyperbole so don’t trivialise it. Ta. xx
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,968

Or on the other hand, if you had a brain you might think: "Do I want to vote for a party that appears to be filled with racists and loons?" and pick the Lib Dems instead of either the Tories or Reform. ;)
  • Options

Heathener said:

The drugs some of the riders are on this year is looking like top quality shit. 4hrs in a break away in scorching heat and absolutely no problem flying up a hill climb with gradients of as high as 20%, twice, at such a rate the peloton couldn't catch them. Maybe they should give Biden some.
    There was a very amusing line (ho ho) by Gary Imlach in the highlights introduction that 'this year’s Tour gets higher in the first week than any previous tour, at least legally.'
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,452

Or on the other hand, if you had a brain you might think: "Do I want to vote for a party that appears to be filled with racists and loons?" and pick the Lib Dems instead of either the Tories or Reform. ;)
    Sure, but that's already priced in. There cannot be many shy Lib Dems in the group currently polling as Tories. Why would they not have disclosed the fact? There are plenty of Reform-curious amongst them though.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,811
    Heathener said:

Wow. That's some stat.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,364
    dixiedean said:

Heathener said:

Wow. That's some stat.
    The French testing regime is very rigorous compared to Belgium, Italy and others. There are no mysteries in pro cycling...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,696

The US response to France leaving Nato in 1968 can be contrasted with The Soviet Union's response to Czechoslovakia leaving the Warsaw pact in the same year.

In the end we all know it as North Korea that attacked the South and North Vietnam that attacked the South with Chinese and Soviet support respectively.

North Korea was supported by the Soviets, not China, at the time of the invasion. China joined later when MacArthur started threatening to invade them as well.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,678
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

@GoodwinMJ

When you look into the rise of the National Socialist party it’s not that hard to draw parallels between the sense of grievance and need to ‘other’ among the artisans and small town professionals of 1920s Germany and what we see in the media of the right today.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,420

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

The French WANT this

No chance.

The destruction of the Tory party by a moderate left wing party on Thursday is not a harbinger of the triumph of the hard right in Britain. Indeed they are about to become supremely irrelevant.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,678
    Heathener said:

Bardet’s win was perfect, universally popular. Vauquelin a bit more from left field but that will be Arkea’s Tour made on Day 2.
This discussion has been closed.