Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sir Keir Starmer: The Corbyn slayer? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,181
    From another forum.

I wonder what social media is like in France, who finished with exactly the same record, or Italy a point less.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,373
    edited June 25
    nico679 said:

No matter how underwhelming England have been there are many previous tournaments where teams that won were poor in the group stage , got through and then played much better .

England played like Italy, minus the single flash of brilliance at the end.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,666
    The problem is there's just SO MANY games of football that on average most of them are forgettable meh. When it's good it's great but statistically you're probably going to be watching a bland one.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,340
    Congratulations England on equalling Scotland in goals scored!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,991

Of all the major sports, football is the most tedious.

Except for cricket.
    You must be joking, cricket is the most exciting game of all.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,024
    nico679 said:

No matter how underwhelming England have been there are many previous tournaments where teams that won were poor in the group stage , got through and then played much better .

Englands group ended up being very tight, and Slovenia (unbeaten in a long time) desperately wanted a draw. They got it. We were through already.
    Groups ARE different to knock out stages. We have not impressed yet, but there is potential. Would lay england every tournament though, and only in 66/would you have been wrong…
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,138
    TOPPING said:

Seems that Slovenia also expected to get a shellacking the way they are celebrating.

Shellacking or Sunacking?

:lol:
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,814
    OnboardG1 said:

Foxy said:

Except for cricket.
    And golf.

And Formula 1

I'd love to tell you that F1 is great, but I last watched it on the Beeb and I'm not willing to pay the greasy little shits at Sky £30 a month for the privilege of watching it.
    Those 6 wheel Tyrrells were great..
  • Options
    Farooq said:

When is Scotlands round of sixteen game?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,119
    Foxy said:

OnboardG1 said:

biggles said:

Cookie said:

Except for cricket.
    You've obviously never watched a T20 then.
    Or indeed any other form of cricket.

I don't understand how people can find this exciting. Almost nothing is of any consequence. Cricket, anything might happen with every delivery. Wild swings from team x winning to team y winning. Or rugby: constant, unrelenting bloody effort.
    Football is just minute after minute of nothing of consequence or interest happening.
    I agree on cricket (the finest of sports for me, especially the five day game that ebbs and flows) but I would put football and rugby like this: an average football game is more entertaining than rugby; but the best of rugby when it’s free flowing is amazing and beats it.
    I never got into Rugby. Being forced to play it on wet Scottish mornings when I'd rather be in bed reading had something to do with it.
    I have never played it so equally uninterested.
    Good rugby beats good football. Bad rugby beats bad football. Actually, bad rugby beats good football. Hell, rugby league beats football.

Topping says that cricket is uneventful and that maiden overs are celebrated, but because of the imperative use your time resources effectively, a maiden is an event. Everything which happens in cricket matters.
    Whereas in football passing it round at the back for minutes on end is utterly inconsequential.
    Cricket doesn't demand the attention bit it does reward it. Football is the reverse.
  • Options

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

AlsoLei said:

Chris said:

There's an interesting question here for anyone who bets.

When the story originally broke, some people here were saying quite confidently that betting based on "inside information" was not illegal, unlike insider share trading.

Now it seems to be accepted that potentially it can be cheating, and therefore illegal. But does that mean that anyone who bets while taking account of information not in the public domain is cheating? And if not, where do you draw the line?

For me, it's fine to use information that other people could find out even if they had to put in some amount of (legal) effort to get it. So betting based on a personal conversation with a coach or a trainer, or overheard on a pub or on a train - none of that sounds like a problem.

On the other hand, betting on something you can potentially influence seems clearly wrong. So the Campaign Director, or the C-level person in charge of data are both going to have a huge input into the timing of the election, and so shouldn't have been betting on it.
    That is indeed what the current state of the law says.

I think it's what a lot of people thought the law said, but in fact the law prohibits "cheating" and emphasises that deception and influence are only examples of cheating, and not exhaustive.
    Not the case. The phrase "may, in particular" (used in section 42 of the Act) is a phrase interpreted in legislation to indicate that what follows is exhaustive rather than an example.
    That is gibberish. May does not mean must. The section you quote begins "(3)Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1) ..."
    That is a reference to the listed items below, which are the processes by which gambling are conducted and the events in relation to which betting takes place.

I get that you have another view and would like it to be different, but there is no chance of this standing up. It's a massive reach.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,929
    Demark beat Slovenia into 2nd place because they have one less disciplinary point. Wowzer.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,464
    We were fortunate to win the group

Sometimes you need a bit of luck to win a tournament

👍👍👍
  • Options
    Slovakia, Romania, and Belgium all have strong incentives to play cagey and draw tomorrow. No goals in their games and they all go through. Ukraine must go on the attack (I'm still talking about football here).
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Demark beat Slovenia into 2nd place because they have one less disciplinary point. Wowzer.

Yes, at one point they were tied even on that. Denmark would have gone through on UEFA ranking.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,213
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

OnboardG1 said:

biggles said:

Cookie said:

Except for cricket.

I don't understand how people can find this exciting. Almost nothing is of any consequence. Cricket, anything might happen with every delivery. Wild swings from team x winning to team y winning. Or rugby: constant, unrelenting bloody effort.
    Football is just minute after minute of nothing of consequence or interest happening.
    I agree on cricket (the finest of sports for me, especially the five day game that ebbs and flows) but I would put football and rugby like this: an average football game is more entertaining than rugby; but the best of rugby when it’s free flowing is amazing and beats it.
    I never got into Rugby. Being forced to play it on wet Scottish mornings when I'd rather be in bed reading had something to do with it.
    Good rugby beats good football. Bad rugby beats bad football. Actually, bad rugby beats good football. Hell, rugby league beats football.

Topping says that cricket is uneventful and that maiden overs are celebrated, but because of the imperative use your time resources effectively, a maiden is an event. Everything which happens in cricket matters.
    Whereas in football passing it round at the back for minutes on end is utterly inconsequential.
    Cricket doesn't demand the attention bit it does reward it. Football is the reverse.
    I have been to a couple of Rugby matches, including a World Cup match, but it was all a bit tedious.

I have been to a lot of dreary football matches, but you need to be at those so as to not miss the sublime ones
  • Options
    Let people bet. Nothing wrong with it.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

OnboardG1 said:

biggles said:

Cookie said:

Except for cricket.

Rugby league is so one dimensional it might as well be American football. At least union has rucks, mauls, line outs, scrums etc. What variety is there in the ground shagging?*

*A term that refers to the pathetic wriggling a tackled player engages in when the tackler fails to release him promptly.
  • Options

From another forum.

I wonder what social media is like in France, who finished with exactly the same record, or Italy a point less.

But didn't those countries have non-tiny countries in their groups? At the very least, they both appeared to attempt to score goals. Rather than endlessly and fruitlessly passing it around the defence.
  • Options

Farooq said:

When is Scotlands round of sixteen game?
    I understand it's in 2044
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,572

OnboardG1 said:

Foxy said:

Except for cricket.
    And golf.

And Formula 1

I'd love to tell you that F1 is great, but I last watched it on the Beeb and I'm not willing to pay the greasy little shits at Sky £30 a month for the privilege of watching it.
    Brabham BT46 for full batshit.

You know what they should bring back? Can-Am. Basically no rules aside from safety regs, build whatever barmy nonsense you want and go hog wild on the engineering. Fan induced downforce? Sure. 1500 horsepower supercharged bullshit? Crack on. Four (or six) wheel steering and variable geometry wings? Absolutely.

Motorsport on adderall cut with crack.
  • Options

We were fortunate to win the group

Sometimes you need a bit of luck to win a tournament

👍👍👍

We were not fortunate to win the group. How do you figure that?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

From another forum.

But didn't those countries have non-tiny countries in their groups? At the very least, they both appeared to attempt to score goals. Rather than endlessly and fruitlessly passing it around the defence.
    The France Netherlands game was nil nil too but gripping to watch.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Is this based on yellow/red cards?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cookie said:

Except for cricket.

No sorry 95% of cricket is boring as fuck. The last 20 minutes in a tight game can be exciting. Overall football is far more exciting and far more skillful.
    Well we'll have to agree to disagree. The only reason I'm watching this is that the county T20 on youtube is on a two week break.
    For spectacle, interest, and not having to engage with the worst people in the planet, a cricket match between two teams I don't care about for me beats the best of football matches.
  • Options
    Putin's catamite is at it again.

Ukraine should agree to a peace deal with Russia or run the risk that every young Ukrainian man will be killed, Nigel Farage has said in an escalation of his views on the war.

The Reform UK leader said that in the interests of peace, President Zelensky should rethink his ambition to reclaim all territory lost to President Putin’s invasion. Farage also launched a fresh attack on Boris Johnson for rejecting the prospect of a peace deal, which had resulted in countless deaths.

Johnson has championed Britain’s support for Ukraine and remains close friends with Zelensky.

Farage said greater efforts were needed to broker negotiations between Ukraine and Russia and that Britain and other western allies were being unrealistic in their support of Zelensky’s goal to drive the invading forces back into Russia.

He said reclaiming Crimean territory was going to be “incredibly difficult”.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/nigel-farage-zelensky-should-seek-peace-or-risk-losing-every-young-ukrainian-man-gg5bp93nt
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,814
    OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

Foxy said:

Except for cricket.
    And golf.

And Formula 1

You know what they should bring back? Can-Am. Basically no rules aside from safety regs, build whatever barmy nonsense you want and go hog wild on the engineering. Fan induced downforce? Sure. 1500 horsepower supercharged bullshit? Crack on. Four (or six) wheel steering and variable geometry wings? Absolutely.

Mad Max Verstappen..
  • Options

Cookie said:

Except for cricket.
    Even the ones that last FIVE fucking days??
    Especially those.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 292

Never watched golf?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,332
    OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

Foxy said:

Except for cricket.
    And golf.

And Formula 1

It would be insanely expensive so the teams would hate it and it wouldn't provide competitive racing so the audience would hate it. If they audience hates it then the media rights are worth nothing so why is anybody doing it?

There is a reason that F1 cars have the same suspension technology as a Morris Marina.
  • Options

Going into the tournament the worry about England was our defence but we've only conceded one goal in three matches.

Goals win you matches, defenders win you trophies which is why we've topped our group.

But I am glad England aren't peaking too soon.

#LookingAtThePositives

We've topped our group because we were playing against tiny countries!
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,183

Ukraine should agree to a peace deal with Russia or run the risk that every young Ukrainian man will be killed, Nigel Farage has said in an escalation of his views on the war.

The Reform UK leader said that in the interests of peace, President Zelensky should rethink his ambition to reclaim all territory lost to President Putin’s invasion. Farage also launched a fresh attack on Boris Johnson for rejecting the prospect of a peace deal, which had resulted in countless deaths.

Johnson has championed Britain’s support for Ukraine and remains close friends with Zelensky.

Farage said greater efforts were needed to broker negotiations between Ukraine and Russia and that Britain and other western allies were being unrealistic in their support of Zelensky’s goal to drive the invading forces back into Russia.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/nigel-farage-zelensky-should-seek-peace-or-risk-losing-every-young-ukrainian-man-gg5bp93nt

Has Farage poached Isaac Levido to advise on campaign strategy?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,718
    So. Got Spain, Portugal, France and Italy in the top half.
    And a good chance of England v Netherlands in the last 16 in the bottom half.
    My drawing of Austria means I could become a class and school legend.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

OnboardG1 said:

biggles said:

Cookie said:

Except for cricket.

I have been to a couple of Rugby matches, including a World Cup match, but it was all a bit tedious.

I have been to a lot of dreary football matches, but you need to be at those so as to not miss the sublime ones
    When I was a regular at Swindon I recall sitting through the first 30 mins of what was setting up to be a routine, drab 0-0. Suddenly it all went mad and finished 3-3. That’s the reason you go through all the dross. And beating Port Vale 5-0 in 2012 to win League 2. Glorious.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,914
    No more polls tonight presusumably. Anyone know please which we can expect tomorrow?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

Foxy said:

Except for cricket.
    And golf.

And Formula 1

It would be insanely expensive so the teams would hate it and it wouldn't provide competitive racing so the audience would hate it. If they audience hates it then the media rights are worth nothing so why is anybody doing it?

There is a reason that F1 cars have the same suspension technology as a Morris Marina.
    You'd need a serious sugar daddy and probably a cost cap. It'll never happen. You'd love it though, don't be coy!
  • Options
    edited June 25

Cookie said:

Except for cricket.
    The whole point is if you like a game you want it to go on for as long as possible.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,427

Anyone asked him that question about the plane crashing and where to bury the survivors?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,352

England could face the Netherlands in the next round #Easysideofthedraw

Indeed, unless Georgia beat Portugal or Georgia beat Turkey, England will be playing the Netherlands on Sunday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024#Knockout_stage
  • Options

No more polls tonight presusumably. Anyone know please which we can expect tomorrow?

Isn't there an IPSOS tomorrow?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

OnboardG1 said:

biggles said:

Cookie said:

Except for cricket.

I do concede that rugby can all appear a bit impenetrable to the uninitiated.
    I find it compelling - simply, there is bo equivalent of the cagey passing it around waiting for an opening: both sides are 100% trying all the time.
    And yes, rugby league is one dimensional, but the same applies. And it's weirdly compelling.
  • Options
    edited June 25

He's a twat.
    I'm probably the only PBer who works all day with WWC on minimum wage. Never heard anyone mention admiration for him or his views.
    Although I don't frequent Blackpool pubs with lads.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,929
    Andy_JS said:

CatMan said:

Yep

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024_Group_C#Discipline
  • Options

Indeed, unless Georgia beat Portugal or Georgia beat Turkey, England will be playing the Netherlands on Sunday.

Georgia have no chance of beating Turkey :lol:
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,943

Isn't there an IPSOS tomorrow?
    So just the Rest is Politics one today? 16pt lead baxtered Lab 200 seat majority.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,906

Surely, "Russia should withdraw from Ukraine or run the risk that every young Russian man will be killed".

I mean the two are functionally identical, especially given that Russia is taking far worse casualties and their latest offensive has stalled.
  • Options

Has Farage poached Isaac Levido to advise on campaign strategy?
    To be fair to Isaac he has actually won a general election.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

Except for cricket.
    The whole point is if you like a game you want it to go on for as long as possible.
    That's why baseball has a 162 game regular season.
    Before the playoffs start.
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 762

Good to see you PfP, hope you are keeping well!

What bets do you have for UK 2024?
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Dura_Ace said:

OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

Foxy said:

Except for cricket.
    And golf.

And Formula 1

You'd need a serious sugar daddy and probably a cost cap. It'll never happen. You'd love it though, don't be coy!
    Yeah, but I'm not the target audience. F1 is WWE for middle class white men who can't set their own diff lash and the current (highly constrained) ruleset is a compromise between indulging the manufacturers and delivering the closest possible racing to maximise drama.

If you want Formula Libre type shenanigans then it exists in Land Speed racing and Hill Climb/Time Attack. The audience for both of those could be measured on Sunak's pubes.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,849
    Andy_JS said:

Cookie said:

Except for cricket.
    Try telling the ECB. Their position seems to be that cricket is a dreadful waste of time and should be over as soon as possible.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,097

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

OnboardG1 said:

biggles said:

Cookie said:

Except for cricket.

When I was a regular at Swindon I recall sitting through the first 30 mins of what was setting up to be a routine, drab 0-0. Suddenly it all went mad and finished 3-3. That’s the reason you go through all the dross. And beating Port Vale 5-0 in 2012 to win League 2. Glorious.
    This season we (St Mirren) were 1-0 down at home to Aberdeen after 1 minute.
    We scored twice in second half added time to win 2-1. Priceless!
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,414
    rcs1000 said:

Surely, "Russia should withdraw from Ukraine or run the risk that every young Russian man will be killed".

I mean the two are functionally identical, especially given that Russia is taking far worse casualties and their latest offensive has stalled.
    Farage is clearly just not bought in to the moral argument. And in that’s he’s at odds with the majority of Brits.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,906

Wait.

Georgia is playing both Turkey and Portugal?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,566

Matt Singh
    @MattSingh_
    Because I'm feeling generous I've created a Google Sheet with the PA declaration times, tabulated and matched to ONS codes. (AI was involved for this, so please let me know if you spot any errors)

https://x.com/MattSingh_/status/1805656746305683753
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,495
    CatMan said:

Andy_JS said:

CatMan said:

Yep

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2024_Group_C#Discipline
    That Group E is remarkable. Basically with one game to play each, anyone can win the group and anyone can be going home.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

OnboardG1 said:

biggles said:

Cookie said:

Except for cricket.

This season we (St Mirren) were 1-0 down at home to Aberdeen after 1 minute.
    We scored twice in second half added time to win 2-1. Priceless!
    I still treasure Leicester's match against Man United and being 2 nil down after 15 min, but coming back to win 5:3. We ended the match singing "We want six!".

Rooney's face was a picture.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,424

Bizarre. Surely Nigel knows there are few votes to be won with this topic, let alone his take on it. Is it a pride thing and he just can't let it go until he thinks he's won the argument? Does he not actually want to be elected?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Wait.

Seems a little unfair.
  • Options
    biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Farage is clearly just not bought in to the moral argument. And in that’s he’s at odds with the majority of Brits.
    To an extent NF leads opinion and does not follow it. His comments will be turning some Fukkers Ukro-skeptical just because it's him that's saying it. Whether his positioning is a net electoral negative remains to be seen. Do voters give a fuck about it compared to Cozzie Livs, Nashie Healths or Immy Grates? I don't recall it polling with high salience on topics that engaged voters.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,211

TOPPING said:

Seems that Slovenia also expected to get a shellacking the way they are celebrating.

Shellacking or Sunacking?

:lol:
    "We were johnsoned, trussed and sunaked like a Tory on the 4th of July."
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

OnboardG1 said:

Dura_Ace said:

OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

Foxy said:

Except for cricket.
    And golf.

And Formula 1

F1 is WWE for middle class white men who can't set their own diff lash
    I'm stealing that for next time I need to try to convince my wrestling-obsessed friend to watch motorsport.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,528
    biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

The Ukrainians are making some progress in hitting Russian air defence systems and have the prospect of achieving some degree of air superiority when the F16s and Mirages arrive. No wonder Putin shills are pushing for "peace".
    Touched by Nige's concern for the welfare of the Ukrainians, though.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 913

8 days left of polling releases before the vote itself (and exit poll).

I presume most pollsters will release at least one more before the election date, and most will want one released close to the end of the campaign to make it relevant. I wonder if there's any temporary lull in a few days time for not wanting to do two in close succession...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,380
    So same place at 5pm on Sunday to watch the same shit from England.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Except for cricket.
    Expecially those.

Hey one of the most exciting sports in the world is the Tour de France and that lasts 21 days.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,799
    Dura_Ace said:

OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

Foxy said:

Except for cricket.
    And golf.

And Formula 1

Though the use of carbon fibre was somewhat limited in the latter.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,414
    Dura_Ace said:

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

To an extent NF leads opinion and does not follow it. His comments will be turning some Fukkers Ukro-skeptical just because it's him that's saying it. Whether his positioning is a net electoral negative remains to be seen. Do voters give a fuck about it compared to Cozzie Livs, Nashie Healths or Immy Grates? I don't recall it polling with high salience on topics that engaged voters.
    Dunno, even taking my own view out of it, I think this sort of thing matters to people.
  • Options

Bizarre. Surely Nigel knows there are few votes to be won with this topic, let alone his take on it. Is it a pride thing and he just can't let it go until he thinks he's won the argument? Does he not actually want to be elected?
    Maybe he just believes that Russia is justified in what it's done, rather than saying things for supposed electoral advantage.

Maybe he sees himself leading a Quisling government in the UK.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,352
    rcs1000 said:

Wait.

I'm blaming tiredness - I've been watching paint dry all evening.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Wait.

I'm blaming tiredness - I've been watching paint dry all evening.
    Could have been worse, could have watched the match.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,635

His USP is "perceived" honesty and directness. If he doesn't give his view and tries to evade it hurts him more, imo.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,914

Thanks Double C ... your kind words are absolutely reciprocated on my part.
    I'm mainly on the spreads, selling the Blue team down from 160 seats and buying the reds up from 430 seats. Also a variety of fixed odds bets favouring large Labour majorities, etc.
    We haven't yet booked the Caribbean holiday yet but something rather better than a long weekend in Clacton is definitely in prospect!
    Where is your betting focused?
  • Options

Has he ever? Serious question. He is a classic disruptor. Sometimes that can be good and necessary. Other times it is rather pointless.

He achieved what was supposed to be the most important goal of his political career. I don't understand the mentality that keeps him coming back for more.

In all honesty with his apparently jovial character he could have followed Portillo into amiable documentary land and got a lot more satisfaction from life than continually tilting at windmills.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,860
    edited June 25
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

Foxy said:

Except for cricket.
    And golf.

And Formula 1

But it became gradually lighter by actively converting its structure to iron oxide and jettisoning mostly unnecessary parts
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,711
    edited June 25

Oh, is that when the next England match is?

We have a dinner reservation for 5.30pm. What a shame. Gutted. I'm truly gutted.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,131

Has he ever? Serious question. He is a classic disruptor. Sometimes that can be good and necessary. Other times it is rather pointless.

He achieved what was supposed to be the most important goal of his political career. I don't understand the mentality that keeps him coming back for more.

In all honesty with his apparently jovial character he could have followed Portillo into amiable documentary land and got a lot more satisfaction from life than continually tilting at windmills.
    Unrelated, but have you ever met a clinical psychopath?
  • Options

Oh, is that when the next England match is?

We have a dinner reservation for 5.30pm. What a shame. Gutted. I'm truly gutted.
    A dinner reservation for 5.30pm?

Happy 128th birthday.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

Foxy said:

Except for cricket.
    And golf.

And Formula 1

But it became gradually lighter by actively converting its structure to iron oxide and jettisoning mostly unnecessary parts
    I learned to drive in one.
    Locating the gears was an interesting exercise.
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 762

Thanks Double C ... your kind words are absolutely reciprocated on my part.
    I'm mainly on the spreads, selling the Blue team down from 160 seats and buying the reds up from 430 seats. Also a variety of fixed odds bets favouring large Labour majorities, etc.
    We haven't yet booked the Caribbean holiday yet but something rather better than a long weekend in Clacton is definitely in prospect!
    Where is your betting focused?
    Ah thanks PfP great to hear from you :smiley:

Going to start betting this week hopefully, looking at Con seats >100, also very safe Con seats (eg 60%+ in 2019 vote) where there's a decent return eg 30-40%.

That's my starting point.

For all the other almost 40 or so countries that I follow, the UK election night is probably still genuinely my favourite.

Good luck with your bets!
  • Options
    edited June 25
    Cabinet minister claimed he won £2,000 on election bets
    https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/czkk0d19kgdo

What a weird story. So he did or didn't, but got 25/1....well if he did get 25/1, that was way before any decision, so no insider info. Or he could have been totally bullshitting.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,539
    Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

Shall I tell you what's weird:

Some of the most highly regulated countries in the world (like Switzerland and Singapore) provide their citizens with incredibly high standards of living. While some of the least regulated (like, say, Albania) provide their citizens with a pretty shitty one.

What I also find weird is this belief that Europe is far more regulated than the US. As someone who has started businesses in both places, I've found the US to have the higher regulatory burden: one can't even open a nail salon in the US without a raft of permits, while it is almost entirely hassle free in the - say - France.

It's almost like "less regulation" is not the be all and end all for solving economic malaise.

Hey, you don't need to convince us that Brexit was stupid. We already know
    Farooq earlier humourously suggested that HYUFD's head can only hold 5 ideas (The 1997 General Election, Gordon Brown, the Russell Group, a cat, the monarchy). Look it up, it was very funny, if a little harsh.
    But honestly Scott, I sometimes think your brain only has one idea.
    Brexit has happened. Britain has done neither noticeably better nor noticeably worse than its counterparts in the EU. Relax and let it go.
    What upsets those with fervent beliefs, either pro or anti, about Brexit is that is has had such trivial consequences.

Compare with:

Covid
    Ukraine
    Energy/environment
    Changing demographics
    GFC
    Globalisation

Likewise it will have trivial consequences compared with upcoming events such as more globalisation, the US presidency or AI.
  • Options
    Little by little, the Handmaid’s Tale becomes a slightly less unbelievable piece of fiction.

Conservative US lawmakers are pushing for an end to no-fault divorce
    Republicans in Louisiana, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Texas have discussed eliminating or restricting such cases
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/jun/25/republicans-no-fault-divorce
  • Options
    Just to annoy TSE and the other Republicans on here, a very good article in the Telegraph about the importance of Royal soft power, in this case with regard to British-Japanese relations.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2024/06/24/royal-family-japan-relationship-elizabeth-emperor-naruhito/
  • Options
    Very off-topic, but I only just discovered that Mimi Parker of 'Low' died the other year. And she was just 'one of those voices' that I very fondly remember down the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=069qtEqtDJc

• Options
    edited June 25
    This is getting a bit silly,

The BBC understands George’s bet, placed online for a July election, was placed over a week before the election was called and neither man was aware of the other’s bet.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/cqqqqx25rz0t

There is absolutely no indication that Sunak had even decided on an election a week prior and this guys is rather distant from the action.

I think we are going to end up with loads of politicians revealed they bet on politics, lots of £50 here and there, but not really any evidence they are doing much but punting.
  • Options
    GrandcanyonGrandcanyon Posts: 105

Well hes shown hes a man of principle. Theres no electoral advantage to this but he keeps running with it. And hes right Russia has many more men than ukraine so can outlast them in a war of attrition.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,838

I think he believes it will have limited effect on voting attention, but that he brings up unnecessary points that just flare things up suggests to me it is his true belief and he is angry people do not agree with him.

He is probably correct that reclaiming Crimea will be difficult, I'd even say impossible, but the way he frames it all - blaming the EU for expanding, saying Ukraine should be the one to give up to save lives - makes it very clear his sympathies lie with Putin's ambitions, it is not a case of misplaced realpolitik.
  • Options

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

The Ukrainians are making some progress in hitting Russian air defence systems and have the prospect of achieving some degree of air superiority when the F16s and Mirages arrive. No wonder Putin shills are pushing for "peace".
    Sadly its all about manpower and ukraine has less men.
  • Options

Well hes shown hes a man of principle. Theres no electoral advantage to this but he keeps running with it. And hes right Russia has many more men than ukraine so can outlast them in a war of attrition.
    That's why the Soviets won in Afghanistan and the Americans won in Vietnam.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,635

Cabinet minister claimed he won £2,000 on election bets
    https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/czkk0d19kgdo

What a weird story. So he did or didn't, but got 25/1....well if he did get 25/1, that was way before any decision, so no insider info. Or he could have been totally bullshitting.

Cabinet minister lying? Surely that is a matter worthy of promotion.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,838

It's the standard 'Russia is too strong, I care about Ukraine so they should give up' crap that has been parroted for years now. As if no lesser nation has ever won a war, or made opponents success too costly before.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Unrelated, but have you ever met a clinical psychopath?
    LOL. Not that I am aware of. Might I be one and be unaware of it?

I don't think Farage is a clinical psychopath. I think he is wrong about many things and right about a few. I think he is a contrarian and egotistical in the manner of many politicians. Unlike others I don't actually think he would be the sort of person I would enjoy a pint with. I also don't think he is as bright as he believes himself to be but of course that is a widespread condition amongst both politicians and commentators.

• Options
    kle4 said:

It's the standard 'Russia is too strong, I care about Ukraine so they should give up' crap that has been parroted for years now. As if no lesser nation has ever won a war, or made opponents success too costly before.
    Ww1 was a war of attrition. Germany had double the population of ukraine and lasted 4 and a half years. So by my estimate ukraine at best lasts 3 years here. Then its all over.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,430
    Is he intentionally trying to avoid Tory ELE & next party leader?
  • Options

Vietnam wasnt existential for the americans in the way Ukraine is for Putin.
  • Options

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

It has 10x more gay nazi's just waiting in reserve though. Just you wait. Or something.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,711

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

It really isn't. It's about technological innovation and industrial production.

I am still optimistic that Ukraine's drone industry will defeat Russia on land as it has done in the sea.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Little by little, the Handmaid’s Tale becomes a slightly less unbelievable piece of fiction.

Conservative US lawmakers are pushing for an end to no-fault divorce
    Republicans in Louisiana, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Texas have discussed eliminating or restricting such cases
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/jun/25/republicans-no-fault-divorce

By your reasoning the USA of JFK must have been the Handmaiden's Tale in practice.