Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Let’s talk about gender politics – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,980
    edited June 25
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

O/T As widely predicted:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/jun/24/number-of-people-crossing-channel-in-small-boats-hits-new-high

Could this be the real reason Sunak daren't delay the GE further?

We have to start towing them back to France, if no one is prepared to do Rwanda
    Sorry, cannot accept that. I am not happy clappy, all people are legal, welcome them all in, open borders, like many in Labour, the Lib Dems and Greens are but you cannot risk a single persons life by doing that.

You also have to have a proper process to allow people to apply to come here rather than risk their lives on boats and then just turn up and disappear into the black economy.
    Stop being such a flake

Their lives are already being risked. They drown quite regularly. And hundreds drown in the Med

If we tow them back they will stop coming so in the end you will save many more lives than might be lost. You just have to be quite ruthless at first

Also, this is inevitable. In the end if you don’t do this voters will elect fascists that will do much much worse than this. See the recent European elex
    Don't you have a contradiction there. You say hundreds drown already. You also say they will stop coming if we tow them back so the extra risk of drowning will in the end save lives as it will stop them coming.

Why will it stop them coming if they risk drowning already? They will still come in a hope of not being caught.

Re you last sentence that is a genuine worry I agree.
    Because they won’t risk drowning if they know there is a 100% chance they will simply be towed back to France
    This is the canard that the right keeps repeating - "They won't risk it if they know [they'll be sent to Rwanda/towed back/made to read the Spectator]" (delete as appropriate).

There's no evidence set out that the migrants would either know about such policies or care even if they did. Like any criminal who boasts they will get away with it, the smugglers will claim a secure route to take their money. You're just making assertions with no evidence.
    1. Logic

2. Australia

But I tell you what, you just keep doing what you’re doing and then in the end the British will elect somebody much nastier than nigel Farage to get this done. See Europe passim

I won’t be pleased - I’d far rather we weren’t governed by the extreme right - but I’m right wing so I’ll probably cope. I imagine it will be much less pleasant for you

There is no reason why the British will be immune to the rightwards surge across the western world. We are NOT exceptional, merely behind the curve
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,771
    edited June 25

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Roger said:

Fun in France. The New Popular Front are having to go out of their way to say its leader Jean-Luc Melenchon will not be the Prime Minister if they win. While he leads the alliance he is not that popular with the electorate.

https://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/jean-luc-melenchon-l-impopulaire-du-nouveau-front-de-gauche-20240624

It's always fun in Paris. Time to put the computer down. Start at the Musee d'Orsay and take a Bateaux Mouche...the good life doesn't end at Stoke-on-Trent.
    Musee d'Orsay is the best place in Paris. the rest of it is boring, like London. Though I did enjoy Notre Dame the exhibition on the rebuilding was really interesting you could sit on the stands and watch the roof being rebuilt bit by bit. I'm in Les Yvelines next week and can only enthuse myself to go to Paris as Im meeting an old friend for lunch.
    London and Paris are boring?

Wow. Just wow.
    I accept youre easily impressed and dont get out much.
    Oh Alan why do you slip so readily into Ad Hominem? Ask yourself this, no need to reply.

It’s because I go out stacks that I don’t find London and Paris boring. There is sooooooo much to do. So many amazing galleries, fantastic eating, brilliant concerts. It’s a cornucopia of sensory pleasures.

You can, literally, spend every single night of the year out in London and never do the same thing twice. Amazing city.
    That sort of depends what interests you. Chasing Candy Crush stores or overpriced restaurants isnt my bag. Ive worked in Paris long enough to treat it with the contempt it deserves and London just isnt me. I like Berlin, Prague Barcelona they are interesting. However I much prefer the countryside and landscape so much more to appreciate.
    I can't see an American Candy Store without assuming it's a money laundering operation.

They seem to be everywhere now, well stocked, but there's never anyone in them.
    Interestingly - !! - they aren’t just a london thing. Lots in Paris too. And Spain
    So, where on earth has that come from?

There aren't that many - if any - Americans here and, "what I really want and need is lots of American Candy!!", said no-one - ever.
    Yes it is very strange. Like a meme spreading

There must be some evolutionary reason - something that makes “candy stores” extremely easy to set up and maintain and staff - no need for security, nothing to steal, no training required? - so they can then be used for money laundering. Which is what they clearly are

I’m less convinced that Turkish barbers are all money laundering. Tho some must be
    I passed one at the weekend, a customer was getting the "flames in the earhole" treatment.
    Turkish barbers aren't money laundering.
    The young men if today just get way more treatment such as perms etc. They spend more money on their looks than before.
    (Also there are many more people)
    When do they get these treatments? The places always seem empty.
    But their overheads are presumably low since most of the money can go to their own labour.

I get my hair cut regularly at one of these barbers, don't go for any of the frilly extras just a plain clipper cut. £10 for about 6 minutes work, if he does five of them in an hour that's £50 an hour takings even if its empty half the time.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,984
    edited June 25
    Nunu5 said:

Can AI steal your vote? Dispatched channel 4.

Interesting experiment by Channel 4 to see if people change their minds based on fake AI. This should be bugger news

Good job we're not using electronic voting. The Netherlands had to ditch it a few years ago because of fears of interference.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/01/world/europe/netherlands-hacking-concerns-hand-count-ballots.html
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,729
    edited June 25
    OT: Following up on "marmalise", where does another piece of slang from my youth come from?

"div" as in "you div!"?

Did anyone have this in their Junior school vocabulary?

My preferred route is as a shortening of "divot", which I still use occasionally. Divot is possibly linked to "clod", both being lumps of mud.

One alternative is as a contration of "individual", as in "individual needs" - a former term for "special needs".

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Roger said:

Fun in France. The New Popular Front are having to go out of their way to say its leader Jean-Luc Melenchon will not be the Prime Minister if they win. While he leads the alliance he is not that popular with the electorate.

https://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/jean-luc-melenchon-l-impopulaire-du-nouveau-front-de-gauche-20240624

It's always fun in Paris. Time to put the computer down. Start at the Musee d'Orsay and take a Bateaux Mouche...the good life doesn't end at Stoke-on-Trent.
    Musee d'Orsay is the best place in Paris. the rest of it is boring, like London. Though I did enjoy Notre Dame the exhibition on the rebuilding was really interesting you could sit on the stands and watch the roof being rebuilt bit by bit. I'm in Les Yvelines next week and can only enthuse myself to go to Paris as Im meeting an old friend for lunch.

Wow. Just wow.
    Oh Alan why do you slip so readily into Ad Hominem? Ask yourself this, no need to reply.

It’s because I go out stacks that I don’t find London and Paris boring. There is sooooooo much to do. So many amazing galleries, fantastic eating, brilliant concerts. It’s a cornucopia of sensory pleasures.

You can, literally, spend every single night of the year out in London and never do the same thing twice. Amazing city.
    That sort of depends what interests you. Chasing Candy Crush stores or overpriced restaurants isnt my bag. Ive worked in Paris long enough to treat it with the contempt it deserves and London just isnt me. I like Berlin, Prague Barcelona they are interesting. However I much prefer the countryside and landscape so much more to appreciate.
    I can't see an American Candy Store without assuming it's a money laundering operation.

Interestingly - !! - they aren’t just a london thing. Lots in Paris too. And Spain

There aren't that many - if any - Americans here and, "what I really want and need is lots of American Candy!!", said no-one - ever.

There must be some evolutionary reason - something that makes “candy stores” extremely easy to set up and maintain and staff - no need for security, nothing to steal, no training required? - so they can then be used for money laundering. Which is what they clearly are

I’m less convinced that Turkish barbers are all money laundering. Tho some must be
    They're certainly cheap. You can have a haircut for £7 at some of them.
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 494
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

O/T As widely predicted:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/jun/24/number-of-people-crossing-channel-in-small-boats-hits-new-high

Sorry, cannot accept that. I am not happy clappy, all people are legal, welcome them all in, open borders, like many in Labour, the Lib Dems and Greens are but you cannot risk a single persons life by doing that.

You also have to have a proper process to allow people to apply to come here rather than risk their lives on boats and then just turn up and disappear into the black economy.
    Stop being such a flake

Their lives are already being risked. They drown quite regularly. And hundreds drown in the Med

If we tow them back they will stop coming so in the end you will save many more lives than might be lost. You just have to be quite ruthless at first

Also, this is inevitable. In the end if you don’t do this voters will elect fascists that will do much much worse than this. See the recent European elex
    Don't you have a contradiction there. You say hundreds drown already. You also say they will stop coming if we tow them back so the extra risk of drowning will in the end save lives as it will stop them coming.

Why will it stop them coming if they risk drowning already? They will still come in a hope of not being caught.

Because they won’t risk drowning if they know there is a 100% chance they will simply be towed back to France
    This is the canard that the right keeps repeating - "They won't risk it if they know [they'll be sent to Rwanda/towed back/made to read the Spectator]" (delete as appropriate).

There's no evidence set out that the migrants would either know about such policies or care even if they did. Like any criminal who boasts they will get away with it, the smugglers will claim a secure route to take their money. You're just making assertions with no evidence.
    Unless they recognise that being a penniless non white foreigner in Rwanda is as attractive a prospect as Auschwitz Birkenau. Which it probably is.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,415
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Roger said:

Wow. Just wow.

Think my last cut was £12. I make them work for it though, as it was two years since my previous cut.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,018
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Roger said:

Wow. Just wow.

I’m getting mine cut for £24 today. Doubled in price since Covid. And they only take cards. So not money laundering in their case.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,180

DougSeal said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

@Heathener ignore the prats, London is the greatest city in the world.

True. I don't live there but it is the greatest city in the world, but not because of the way it looks, which is frequently awful.
    The square mile of the City of London remains one of the most magical places on earth, despite all the attempts to trash it. The rest of London mostly teeters between ghastly set piece stuff (Buckingham Palace etc) and a squalor which feels carefully deliberated. I wonder how the late Ian Nairn would write his old Penguin 'Nairn's London' now?
    If you've never felt emotionally moved in Hyde Park or Kensington Gardens on a warm summer evening you were probably being driven through in an ambulance. Ditto Waterlow and Greenwich Parks.
    London has parks. The rest of the country has countryside.
    Have you ever been to Barnsley?

(A few years ago I unearthed a canal tourism guide for canoeists, written c. 1880. It waxed lyrical about the scenery of the Barnsley Canal, suggesting it might be the most picturesque in Britain. You wouldn't believe it now.)
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,538
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Roger said:

Wow. Just wow.

Or even £5.

Can anyone beat that ?

Lower! Lower! Lower!
  • Options
    I’ve just been to maybe the most beautiful church I’ve ever visited in France. And I have visited a lot of French churches

The Eglise Saint Gerand in Le Palais. Founded in the 11th century but entirely rebuilt from 1906-1940 by superb crasftsmen from Vannes: a polychrome riot of mosaics and ceramics and vivid stained glass, like Catalan Catholicism on ayahuasca

Incroyable. And oui, beaucoup du noom: 6/10

• Options
    DeclanFDeclanF Posts: 17
    Andy_JS said:

"Peter Ruddick
    @ruddick

Paula Vennells was up at the @PostOffInquiry for three days.
    Gareth Jenkins is up for four.

- Known as the 'architect' of Horizon.
    - Used as an expert witness in court.
    - Appearance has been postponed twice.
    - Mentioned every day at the inquiry.

Huge moment."

https://x.com/ruddick/status/1805506156720173152

This article is worth reading - https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/uk-post-office-scandal-reveals-danger-stumbling-into-authoritarianism-by-robert-skidelsky-2024-01.

It makes some very sharp criticisms which we would do well to pay heed to.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,180
    MattW said:

OT: Following up on "marmalise", where does another piece of slang from my youth come from?

"div" as in "you div!"?

My preferred route is as a shortening of "divot", which I still use occasionally. Divot is possibly linked to "clod", both being lumps of mud.

One alternative is as a contration of "individual", as in "individual needs" - a former term for "special needs".

Any thoughts?

"Div" and "divvy" were quite frequent when I was a primary school kid (East Midlands in the early 80s). Some suggestions: https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/126407/etymology-of-div
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,062
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

O/T As widely predicted:

Stop being such a flake

1. Logic

2. Australia

But I tell you what, you just keep doing what you’re doing and then in the end the British will elect somebody much nastier than nigel Farage to get this done. See Europe passim

I won’t be pleased - I’d far rather we weren’t governed by the extreme right - but I’m right wing so I’ll probably cope. I imagine it will be much less pleasant for you

There is no reason why the British will be immune to the rightwards surge across the western world. We are NOT exceptional, merely behind the curve
    It's not logic (I've pointed that out already) and this is not Australia.

You can't throw a far-right authoritarian bone to avoid far-right anti-egalitarian authoritarianism in the form of you and Nigel Farage. Give people like you an inch, as history shows, you take a mile.
  • Options

MattW said:

"div" as in "you div!"?

Any thoughts?

"Div" and "divvy" were quite frequent when I was a primary school kid (East Midlands in the early 80s). Some suggestions: https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/126407/etymology-of-div
    In Nigeria the standard equivalent (meaning idiot, twat) is Dundee United.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,373
    eek said:

algarkirk said:

Breaking news. Someone has thrown a 99 with extra chocolate sauce on Farage in Uxbridge. He needs some new Pr now as things have gone a bit quiet. Not really by the way.

Not seen this so it may be flake news. 99s to cost 99p is in someone's manifesto. Is it Mr Binface? FWIW I agree with this policy.
    Yep - that's in Binface's manifesto.

If he is equally sound on debt, deficit, tax, spend, defence, NHS, welfare, social care, climate change, industrial policy housing and transport I think he'll form the next government. At the moment he has this entire field to himself.
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 450
    Leon said:

I’ve just been to maybe the most beautiful church I’ve ever visited in France. And I have visited a lot of French churches

The Eglise Saint Gerand in Le Palais. Founded in the 11th century but entirely rebuilt from 1906-1940 by superb crasftsmen from Vannes: a polychrome riot of mosaics and ceramics and vivid stained glass, like Catalan Catholicism on ayahuasca

Leon could you explain to me what noom means? I must have missed the initial discussion about it and I’ve been intrigued ever since.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,418

eek said:

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

Fpt

Interesting piece on Jezza which folk will no doubt accept/reject based on existing views.

Some valuable takeaways, not least of which is that some voters may not even realise that Corbyn is no longer Labour. Also Labour seem very far from throwing the kitchen sink at Islington North.

https://tinyurl.com/yc5ukj8j

I knew I'd given it the kiss of death by reporting that a friend in Islington -a Corbynite- had said he was going to lose!
    My Islington friend, who told me confidently at the beginning of the year that the middle class residents wouldn’t vote for Corbyn so he will lose, now isn’t sure. With a Labour victory nailed on nationally, it’s an easier mini-protest to make.
    There is always a significant personal vote for a well known and established constituency MP. Thats why Starmer has an immense task, needing ~120 gains to get a majority (nearer 140 taking boundary changes into account), whatever the opinion polls say and why I think n.o.m. at 14-1 might be worth a few bob.

(not advice, do your own research etc...)
    NOM at 100-1 might be worth a few bob but the opinion polls do reflect any personal vote and there really isn't that much of it...
    Doesn't Nick Palmer Who Know Of What He Talks put the personal premium at about 1000 votes?
    In 1992 Broxtowe had a Tory majority of 9,800. In 2010, with a similar national result, the Tory majority was 389. There wasn't any significant boundary change that I can remember, though the LibDems were squeezed from 22.1% to 16.9%. So I think that a personal vote of 5,000+ is possible (Jim Lester undoubtedly had a personal vote too), but it takes a lot of time to develop. Coming in from nowhere I think the limit is proably 1000 unless one has prior name recognition.
  • Options
    Jason Beer: "The judge got it wrong".
    Gareth Jenkins: "I wouldn't say that".
  • Options
    DeclanFDeclanF Posts: 17

A very mature and good response from Wes Streeting on the trans issue I thought.

I do think Labour will put the culture wars to one side, which can only be a good thing.

It is.

Though it would have been even better if he had accurately described what the Equality Act says. There is no concept of "safe spaces" in the Act. Spaces can be single sex for a variety of reasons of which safety is only one: privacy is another. There are others.

If he - and other Labour politicians (Philippson is another) - cannot describe the existing law accurately, they are not going to be able to resolve the clash of rights which exists. The problem has been badly exacerbated by lobby groups deliberately misdescribing the law. Politicians who seek to address this should not make the same mistake.
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 460
    https://x.com/xtophercook/status/1805485334827798789?s=46

https://t.co/qzyfIwLDN0

Great FT Piece and Twitter write up on the strength of the Lib Dem / Labour tactical vote split.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,360

DougSeal said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

True. I don't live there but it is the greatest city in the world, but not because of the way it looks, which is frequently awful.
    The square mile of the City of London remains one of the most magical places on earth, despite all the attempts to trash it. The rest of London mostly teeters between ghastly set piece stuff (Buckingham Palace etc) and a squalor which feels carefully deliberated. I wonder how the late Ian Nairn would write his old Penguin 'Nairn's London' now?
    If you've never felt emotionally moved in Hyde Park or Kensington Gardens on a warm summer evening you were probably being driven through in an ambulance. Ditto Waterlow and Greenwich Parks.

(A few years ago I unearthed a canal tourism guide for canoeists, written c. 1880. It waxed lyrical about the scenery of the Barnsley Canal, suggesting it might be the most picturesque in Britain. You wouldn't believe it now.)
    I have been to Barnsley. Got totally drenched watching the Toon get beat 4-0.

Those were the days.

I'm on my way to That London right now. Not visiting my former W5 manor this time, just in The City with the red braces crowd.

• Options
    GrandcanyonGrandcanyon Posts: 105
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

O/T As widely predicted:

Stop being such a flake

1. Logic

2. Australia

Likely at this point a choice between a Nigel Farage type or a Tommy Robinson type. Which is preferable.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,142

DougSeal said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Some of Barnsley isn't that terrible, although I think their plan to sell themselves as the new Tuscany was a bit of a stretch.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2644955.stm
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,909

MattW said:

"div" as in "you div!"?

Any thoughts?

Liking those explanations, but I can't provide any further enlightenment.

I recall, at my school, the term 'spaz' was used for a while, which the teachers rightly clamped down on, being of course derived from spastic and wholly inappropriate and offensive as a derogatory term. Around that time, the Spastics Society renamed themselves to Scope and some enterprising lad started shouting 'scope!' instead of 'spaz!'. As far as I recall, the teachers gave up at that point.
  • Options
    So, women then - are they twice as indecisive as men or are many of that 13% really shy tories :open_mouth:

I would guess that Farage being besties with Trump should be a turn off for any sane woman (and, indeed, any sane man).
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,018
    New political questionnaire Klaxon. This one’s actually quite good and more sophisticated than the fun but rudimentary war compass one yesterday.

https://votecompass.uk/

I’m close to where I thought I’d be, a little bit further right economically than expected.

• Options
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

O/T As widely predicted:

Stop being such a flake

1. Logic

2. Australia

What rightwards surge across the world?

We aren't a European PR-based country.

Looking at comparable Common Law countries using the Westminster system, I see no rightwards surge to the extreme right.

In Canada, Trudeau looks like losing to the Conservatives, but its regular pendulum swings and time for a change, not the extreme right taking charge.

In Australia, the extreme right One Nation Party is still an insignificant dot in its polling and its the Liberal/National Coalition that represents the right as it has done for the past century.

You are seeing what you want to see.
  • Options
    edited June 25
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

O/T As widely predicted:

Stop being such a flake

1. Logic

2. Australia

You can't throw a far-right authoritarian bone to avoid far-right anti-egalitarian authoritarianism in the form of you and Nigel Farage. Give people like you an inch, as history shows, you take a mile.
    Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Leon could you explain to me what noom means? I must have missed the initial discussion about it and I’ve been intrigued ever since.
    I invented it a few weeks ago (on my prior visit to Brittany as it happens). It’s derived from numinous - the sense of the spiritual, the nape tingle of divinity and/or sublimity - but it specifically refers to sense of this in place. In a location. Some places have lots of noom, some have none (we discussed how French churches often lack it). Noom can be found in landscapes as much as buildings, in caves as much as stone circles, in factories and wastelands as much as palaces and towers

There are different kinds of noom. Dark noom is somewhere that has that nape-tingle for bad reasons. First World War battlefields. Anything to do with the Nazis. Tuol Sleng

Bright noom is good noom. The sense of uncanny beauty that lifts the soul (often you don’t know why)

The noomiest places often combine both. Take St Kilda, breathtakingly spectacular and filled with spiritual loveliness - bright noom - but it also has dark noom. That unique bizarre community which was tragically destroyed by Victorian priests and advancing modernity

That’s noom
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,374
    DougSeal said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Living in Sussex gardens and walking through Hyde Park each day must have numbed my senses or perhaps I was being driven in an ambulence.....now if you were walking down Kings Road from Sloane Square to Jubilee Place or along Old Compton Street to Covent Garden.....
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,553
    Two hours, 42 minutes until lunchtime at 1pm.

Or four hours if you are @BartholomewRoberts.
  • Options
    Leon said:

So Le Palais in Belle Ile is yet ANOTHER lovely French small town. With a magnificent Vauban citadel

That said I’ve been doing some research and discovered that - contra my instincts - Brittany is not poor. It is one of the richest regions of France. And the favoured coasts and islands are seriously rich - partly due to the influx of wealthy Parisians and other domestic tourists

Hence the gorgeous roundabouts

Sad for France that if you come in by ferry or tunnel your first sight of France is the worst part of it the nord pas de calais region.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,419
    Selebian said:

MattW said:

"div" as in "you div!"?

Any thoughts?

Liking those explanations, but I can't provide any further enlightenment.

I recall, at my school, the term 'spaz' was used for a while, which the teachers rightly clamped down on, being of course derived from spastic and wholly inappropriate and offensive as a derogatory term. Around that time, the Spastics Society renamed themselves to Scope and some enterprising lad started shouting 'scope!' instead of 'spaz!'. As far as I recall, the teachers gave up at that point.
    My Russian teacher, Miss Collinson, used to get very angry when she heard us use the word 'flid'

Apparently it was first used to describe people born disabled by thalidomide
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,022
    Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Short for numinous - a sense of wonder, an atmosphere of place etc. Leon is now so fagged out by having to use ChatGPT for writing bland travel reports he can't even use three syllables when one will get the job done.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

I have been to Barnsley. Got totally drenched watching the Toon get beat 4-0.

Those were the days.

I'm on my way to That London right now. Not visiting my former W5 manor this time, just in The City with the red braces crowd.

The Dove Inn is decent for a pre-match pint,

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5487755,-1.4719715,3a,90y,89.96h,97.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8lJSa8uce8Ky3XtCh6T4tw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205409&entry=ttu

Nice view over Yorkshire yonder from the beer garden outdoor seating area.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,858
    Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Short for "numinous" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numinous
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,097

DougSeal said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Case closed.
    I thought countryside was the assassination of Piers Morgan? (A Stephen Fry joke)
  • Options

I take it youve never been outside the M25
    I went to uni in the north of England and I am from Hampshire
  • Options
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

O/T As widely predicted:

Stop being such a flake

1. Logic

2. Australia

Well the big test will be next week. If Labour win the public don't agree with you. If the Tories win then the Rwanda idea will have been saved and embraced by the great British public
  • Options
    edited June 25

eek said:

IanB2 said:

Roger said:

Fpt

Interesting piece on Jezza which folk will no doubt accept/reject based on existing views.

Some valuable takeaways, not least of which is that some voters may not even realise that Corbyn is no longer Labour. Also Labour seem very far from throwing the kitchen sink at Islington North.

https://tinyurl.com/yc5ukj8j

I knew I'd given it the kiss of death by reporting that a friend in Islington -a Corbynite- had said he was going to lose!
    My Islington friend, who told me confidently at the beginning of the year that the middle class residents wouldn’t vote for Corbyn so he will lose, now isn’t sure. With a Labour victory nailed on nationally, it’s an easier mini-protest to make.
    There is always a significant personal vote for a well known and established constituency MP. Thats why Starmer has an immense task, needing ~120 gains to get a majority (nearer 140 taking boundary changes into account), whatever the opinion polls say and why I think n.o.m. at 14-1 might be worth a few bob.

(not advice, do your own research etc...)
    NOM at 100-1 might be worth a few bob but the opinion polls do reflect any personal vote and there really isn't that much of it...
    Doesn't Nick Palmer Who Know Of What He Talks put the personal premium at about 1000 votes?
    In 1992 Broxtowe had a Tory majority of 9,800. In 2010, with a similar national result, the Tory majority was 389. There wasn't any significant boundary change that I can remember, though the LibDems were squeezed from 22.1% to 16.9%. So I think that a personal vote of 5,000+ is possible (Jim Lester undoubtedly had a personal vote too), but it takes a lot of time to develop. Coming in from nowhere I think the limit is proably 1000 unless one has prior name recognition.
    Good morning Nick.

How did new housing affect the demographics over that period?

(Comparing to change in the Nottingham end of Ashfield aka Hucknall).

Do you think the building of the tramways was an important factor?
  • Options
    edited June 25
    viewcode said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Short for "numinous" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numinous
    I think this is the feeling I get when watching a really great test match.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 40,001
    Yes, women. They are less likely to be enamoured of rancid right populists (who are often highly and transparently sexist). It's a factor I'm hoping plays a big part in the US in November.

"OMG, Trump's lost and it wasn't even that close. WTF went on there?"

"Women."

"Ah ok. Yes. Makes perfect sense."
  • Options

After my last trip to Paris I wouldn’t object if they nuked Paris.

You missed the Metro?
  • Options

Eh? What are you blabbering about?
  • Options
    agingjb2agingjb2 Posts: 97
    Should have been "noomth" (as with Horace Walpole's "gloomth").
  • Options
    Gareth Jenkins seems fairly genuine to me. None of the vibes of Vennells & co.

I think he's going to be hard to cast as the villain.
  • Options
    Roger said:

After my last trip to Paris I wouldn’t object if they nuked Paris.

You missed the Metro?
    Didn't the gendarmes give him Hillsborough vibes at the Champions League final?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

O/T As widely predicted:

Stop being such a flake

1. Logic

2. Australia

Well the big test will be next week. If Labour win the public don't agree with you. If the Tories win then the Rwanda idea will have been saved and embraced by the great British public
    Yeah no we all know that’s not true

Btw how do you feel about the onwards march of Le Pen? Doesn’t it freak you out being surrounded by the fascist French? The riviera is one of their strongholds
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,633
    algarkirk said:

Breaking news. Someone has thrown a 99 with extra chocolate sauce on Farage in Uxbridge. He needs some new Pr now as things have gone a bit quiet. Not really by the way.

Not seen this so it may be flake news. 99s to cost 99p is in someone's manifesto. Is it Mr Binface? FWIW I agree with this policy.
    And surely quarter pounders should be 25p too?
  • Options

Eh? What are you blabbering about?
    I expect this will take you three decades* to understand

*ten years and two days
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 40,001
    Roger said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

O/T As widely predicted:

Stop being such a flake

1. Logic

2. Australia

It's one of the big wins of this election for me. The canning of that abysmal Rwanda scheme.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

O/T As widely predicted:

Stop being such a flake

1. Logic

2. Australia

Btw how do you feel about the onwards march of Le Pen? Doesn’t it freak you out being surrounded by the fascist French? The riviera is one of their strongholds
    It makes me glad that we Brits are better than the French, not for the first time.

The election is going to get about 0 Reform MPs elected, not hundreds.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

And surely quarter pounders should be 25p too?
    Check out the brain on noneoftheabove.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,573
    Morning troops. Did we WELSH KLAXON this earlier?
    🚨NEW Wales Westminster voting intention for @ITVWales

📉Cons support in Wales halved since 2019

🌹Lab 49 (+8)
    🌳Con 19 (-17)
    🌼Plaid 12 (+2)
    ➡️Reform 12 (+7)
    🔶LD 5 (-1)
    🌍Green 3 (+2)

1,026 Welsh adults, 14-18 June
    (change vs 2019 Westminster election results)
    https://x.com/Savanta_UK/status/1805488597602017467?s=19
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,789
    DeclanF said:

Andy_JS said:

"Peter Ruddick
    @ruddick

Paula Vennells was up at the @PostOffInquiry for three days.
    Gareth Jenkins is up for four.

- Known as the 'architect' of Horizon.
    - Used as an expert witness in court.
    - Appearance has been postponed twice.
    - Mentioned every day at the inquiry.

Huge moment."

https://x.com/ruddick/status/1805506156720173152

This article is worth reading - https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/uk-post-office-scandal-reveals-danger-stumbling-into-authoritarianism-by-robert-skidelsky-2024-01.

It makes some very sharp criticisms which we would do well to pay heed to.
    It's not entirely accurate.

This, for example:
    ..In other words, the software and its developers were deemed innocent until proven guilty, while those facing prosecution were treated as guilty unless they could prove their innocence...

The point about the legal status of computer evidence has been regularly discussed on PB. The law in question is about computer evidence rather than the guilt or innocence of software developers (or indeed the PO workers being prosecuted).

Under English Common law, long before computers existed, courts assumed that mechanical systems were functioning correctly unless it was shown otherwise.

The Police & Criminal Evidence Act of 1984 changed this presumption regarding computer evidence:
    Evidence from computer records
    (1) In any proceedings, a statement in a document produced by a computer shall not be
    admissible as evidence of any fact stated therein unless it is shown—
    (a) that there are no reasonable grounds for believing that the statement is
    inaccurate because of improper use of the computer;,
    (b) that at all material times the computer was operating properly, or if not, that any respect in which it was not operating properly or was out of operation was not such as to affect the production of the document or the accuracy of
    its contents; and
    (c) that any relevant conditions specified in rules of court under subsection (2)
    below are satisfied...

The Criminal Evidence Act of 1999 repealed this section of the Act, so the Common Law presumption returned.

While it might be true to say that in prosecution which rely on computer evidence, the burden of proof is reversed, the standard of proof for the defence in challenging computer evidence is not (as it is for the prosecution) "beyond reasonable doubt".
    The defence need only introduce evidence that the computer might not be reliable.

Of course, in the PO case it was almost impossible for the postmasters to produce such evidence at the time of their prosecutions - and once they had been declared guilty, the evidentiary hurdles for them to challenge convictions were much higher.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

O/T As widely predicted:

Stop being such a flake

1. Logic

2. Australia

Leon you were talking about how nice rural France was yesterday and contrasting that with their desire to elect Le Pe. But the real problem is in the cities. You said yourself Paris has gone rapidly downhill and Marseilles is one of the most dangerous cities in Europe. Fly into Paris CDG and looking at the staff you would think you had flown into Africa.
  • Options
    edited June 25
    TimS said:

New political questionnaire Klaxon. This one’s actually quite good and more sophisticated than the fun but rudimentary war compass one yesterday.

I’m close to where I thought I’d be, a little bit further right economically than expected.

Interesting, thanks - nice to do a more UK-focused compass. On the US one I come out as a raving left-winger! :open_mouth:

I'm quite close to you, but apparently slightly more left and less progressive - slap bang on the economic centre line and 2/3 the way up the first square above the centre line on the progressive axis.

Tactical Lab vote from me this election (not that it's likely needed) but puts me very close to the LD position. Pretty much where I would have put myself (although maybe I'd say slightly more progressive - I think that's because I didn't give very strong responses to many questions) if I was just pointing at the chart without doing the questions.

ETA: As they have positioned the parties based on stated policies, it would be fascinating to see their party positioning on this over past elections and the position of the winning party.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Case closed.
    I thought countryside was the assassination of Piers Morgan? (A Stephen Fry joke)
    Interesting - I thought it was from the Uxbridge English Dictionary.

Apparently not.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,207

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

O/T As widely predicted:

Stop being such a flake

1. Logic

2. Australia

What rightwards surge across the world?

We aren't a European PR-based country.

Looking at comparable Common Law countries using the Westminster system, I see no rightwards surge to the extreme right.

In Canada, Trudeau looks like losing to the Conservatives, but its regular pendulum swings and time for a change, not the extreme right taking charge.

In Australia, the extreme right One Nation Party is still an insignificant dot in its polling and its the Liberal/National Coalition that represents the right as it has done for the past century.

You are seeing what you want to see.
    I'm still struggling with this anachronistic use of terms "left" and "right". Trying to use 20th century political labelling to describe 21st century political movements and ideologies is ridiculous. The battle of the individual versus the State which was much of the 20th century has evolved with technology - we are more individual and yet the mechanisms to manage and control that unprecdented access to information are legion.

Even terms like "conservative", "socialist", "liberal" and "social democrat" don't have the meaning they once did. "Green" for example has had its meaning so distorted as to be worthless as a political term.

How then do we define politics in the 21st century? The fault lines currently seem to be cultural and national in terms of national identities in a global economy. We then have the climate change faultline, the deniers, the absolutists and the vast majority somewhere between who know something bad is coming but are hoping human ingenuity will mitigate the worst of it (as it did with Covid-19). Another line is information - who owns it, who controls access to it, how do we ensure more people can get to that information.

We already know information is the currency of the future - are we going to treat it like the currency of the past or are we going to look at it differently?

For me, and this is a trite way of looking at it, I'd prefer we concentrate on the freedom FROM than the freedom TO.
  • Options
    Just seen this on X. Is something happening out there.

Watched farage on YouTube at Kent this morning and Devon tonight Yotally different unscripted and treated rightly like a rock star by the huge outdoor audiences Anyone who criticises should watch and observe a real leader particularly sunak.starmer and their little lapdog davey and they should see for themselves why millions will vote
    @reformparty_uk
    and why
    @Nigel_Farage
    should be our pm
    9:03 PM · Jun 24, 2024
    ·
    Views

https://x.com/CarlWillDurham/status/1805331011791732828
  • Options

Out there on X?

Yes, X is very out there.

Twitter and Britain are not the same thing, as true today as it was when Cameron said it in 2015.

Back in the real world of the UK, the election result is going to see ~0 Reform MPs elected, not hundreds and PM Farage. 🤦‍♂️
  • Options

He's had a lot of practice as an expert witness, and a plausible manner doesn't seem to me the same thing as seeming 'genuine'.

The devil will be in the detail over the next few days.
  • Options
    Tories suspend the gamblers
  • Options

Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

O/T As widely predicted:

Stop being such a flake

1. Logic

2. Australia

It makes me glad that we Brits are better than the French, not for the first time.

The election is going to get about 0 Reform MPs elected, not hundreds.
    A lot to be said for the French in this respect. I was talking to someone who said its very easy to get a protest going in France. By contrast the british would likely sit on their asses and moan.
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 460
    edited June 25
    Tories suspend candidates in betting scandal!

https://x.com/samcoatessky/status/1805535245590003850?s=46

Another gift for Starmer ahead of the final debate…
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,331

Finally.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

He's had a lot of practice as an expert witness, and a plausible manner doesn't seem to me the same thing as seeming 'genuine'.

True. He's probably been coached to the nth degree.

But so had Vennells, and she was as plausible as one of Leon's UFOs.

As you say, though, lets see where this goes.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 288

Always too little too late. #zeroseats
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 450
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

O/T As widely predicted:

Stop being such a flake

1. Logic

2. Australia

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

I invented it a few weeks ago (on my prior visit to Brittany as it happens). It’s derived from numinous - the sense of the spiritual, the nape tingle of divinity and/or sublimity - but it specifically refers to sense of this in place. In a location. Some places have lots of noom, some have none (we discussed how French churches often lack it). Noom can be found in landscapes as much as buildings, in caves as much as stone circles, in factories and wastelands as much as palaces and towers

There are different kinds of noom. Dark noom is somewhere that has that nape-tingle for bad reasons. First World War battlefields. Anything to do with the Nazis. Tuol Sleng

Bright noom is good noom. The sense of uncanny beauty that lifts the soul (often you don’t know why)

The noomiest places often combine both. Take St Kilda, breathtakingly spectacular and filled with spiritual loveliness - bright noom - but it also has dark noom. That unique bizarre community which was tragically destroyed by Victorian priests and advancing modernity

That’s noom
    Thanks Leon that’s a great definition
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,190
    I will post today's image now ready for 8:15 tonight when I will quote it.

• Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,615
    TimS said:

Top left quadrant as I'd expected, but my mealy-mouthed centrist, whatabouterist, MOR-ism has kept me a little closer to the middle than the edges.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,807

DougSeal said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Case closed.
    It reminds me of the chaps in the back bar of their club.

“Does anyone know Arbuthnot?”

“Yes, I think he’s a country member”

“Ah yes, I remember.”
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,816

Do those candidates count for the Sandpit/Leon bet?
  • Options
    edited June 25

Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

O/T As widely predicted:

Stop being such a flake

1. Logic

2. Australia

Leon you were talking about how nice rural France was yesterday and contrasting that with their desire to elect Le Pe. But the real problem is in the cities. You said yourself Paris has gone rapidly downhill and Marseilles is one of the most dangerous cities in Europe. Fly into Paris CDG and looking at the staff you would think you had flown into Africa.
    Yes I think you’re right

I was tending to the @TimS theory (which I’ve shared for a while) that despite their good fortune the French are imbued with pessimism - due to declining French power - mainly cultural rather than political (within living memory French still had a chance of being the world language). A vote for Le Pen is a vote from pessimism

However I’ve adapted my theory. It is partly the above but also this: The French KNOW they are lucky and live in a beautiful country with a high quality of life - a vote for Le Pen is a vote to protect this. They can see what has happened to Paris and Marseilles and they really don’t want that in Vannes and Quimper, in Bayonne and Biarritz, in Mende and Menton

It’s clearly ethnocentric and xenophobic but a lot of French people have no problem with that
  • Options
    Selebian said:

TimS said:

Interesting, thanks - nice to do a more UK-focused compass. On the US one I come out as a raving left-winger! :open_mouth:

I'm quite close to you, but apparently slightly more left and less progressive - slap bang on the economic centre line and 2/3 the way up the first square above the centre line on the progressive axis.

Tactical Lab vote from me this election (not that it's likely needed) but puts me very close to the LD position. Pretty much where I would have put myself (although maybe I'd say slightly more progressive - I think that's because I didn't give very strong responses to many questions) if I was just pointing at the chart without doing the questions.

ETA: As they have positioned the parties based on stated policies, it would be fascinating to see their party positioning on this over past elections and the position of the winning party.
    I'm right in the middle.

Obviously indecisive !
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,615

Once again stealing worse defeat from the jaws of normal defeat.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,683
    Nunu5 said:

Betting question; if a candidate is elected but has been suspended from their party (these are not the only cases) do they count as (in this case) Conservative or Independent?
  • Options
    eek said:

I will post today's image now ready for 8:15 tonight when I will quote it.

Let's be honest, it's all gone to shit since Southgate started dressing down a bit. If he smartens up as in the picture then we're nailed on Euro24 winners :smiley:
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Nunu5 said:

Betting question; if a candidate is elected but has been suspended from their party (these are not the only cases) do they count as (in this case) Conservative or Independent?
    Conservative as that is what appears on the ballot
  • Options

🌹Lab 49 (+8)
    🌳Con 19 (-17)
    🌼Plaid 12 (+2)
    ➡️Reform 12 (+7)
    🔶LD 5 (-1)
    🌍Green 3 (+2)

That's a 12.5% swing from Conservative to Labour and a 9.5% from the Conservatives to Plaid and an 8% swing from Conservative to Liberal Democrat.

A quick glance suggests one seat in Wales at most - possibly a 1997 style wipeout for the Conservatives when they polled 19.6% and lost all eight seats being defended.
  • Options

Out there on X?

Yes, X is very out there.

Twitter and Britain are not the same thing, as true today as it was when Cameron said it in 2015.

Back in the real world of the UK, the election result is going to see ~0 Reform MPs elected, not hundreds and PM Farage. 🤦‍♂️
    Neil Kinnock got huge cheering crowds in 1987 and 1992 for all the good it did him.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Once again stealing worse defeat from the jaws of normal defeat.
    I think they might have been better off simply owning it as Farage did with his Russia comments, capitulation after a lengthy water torture period is the worst of all worlds.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Selebian said:

TimS said:

I'm right in the middle.

Obviously indecisive !
    Vote apathy! Vote 'meh!' Vote LibDem! :smiley:
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,553

Watched farage on YouTube at Kent this morning and Devon tonight Yotally different unscripted and treated rightly like a rock star by the huge outdoor audiences Anyone who criticises should watch and observe a real leader particularly sunak.starmer and their little lapdog davey and they should see for themselves why millions will vote
    @reformparty_uk
    and why
    @Nigel_Farage
    should be our pm
    9:03 PM · Jun 24, 2024
    ·
    Views

https://x.com/CarlWillDurham/status/1805331011791732828

Lapdog maga cult
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,807
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

O/T As widely predicted:

Stop being such a flake

1. Logic

2. Australia

Yes I think you’re right

I was tending to the @TimS theory (which I’ve shared for a while) that despite their good fortune the French are imbued with pessimism - due to declining French power - mainly cultural rather than political (within living memory French still had a chance of being the world language). A vote for Le Pen is a vote from pessimism

However I’ve adapted my theory. It is partly the above but also this: The French KNOW they are lucky and live in a beautiful country with a high quality of life - a vote for Le Pen is a vote to protect this. They can see what has happened to Paris and Marseilles and they really don’t want that in Vannes and Quimper, in Bayonne and Biarritz, in Mende and Menton

It’s clearly ethnocentric and xenophobic but a lot of French people have no problem that
    Nicely timed article for you from the Guardian today.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/25/britons-think-uk-is-in-a-bad-way-but-french-more-pessimistic-survey-shows
  • Options
    stodge said:

🌹Lab 49 (+8)
    🌳Con 19 (-17)
    🌼Plaid 12 (+2)
    ➡️Reform 12 (+7)
    🔶LD 5 (-1)
    🌍Green 3 (+2)

That's a 12.5% swing from Conservative to Labour and a 9.5% from the Conservatives to Plaid and an 8% swing from Conservative to Liberal Democrat.

A quick glance suggests one seat in Wales at most - possibly a 1997 style wipeout for the Conservatives when they polled 19.6% and lost all eight seats being defended.
    Yeah, Montgomeryshire now worth buttons as candidate suspended so hopes reduced to hoping on Brecon/Radnor and Monmouth where they'd need to outperform swing
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Nunu5 said:

Indy as they won't have the whip. Dunno for betting purposes (e.g. you back Tories under 100 seats and they get 99 plus a suspendee)
  • Options

Nigelb said:

True. He's probably been coached to the nth degree.

But so had Vennells, and she was as plausible as one of Leon's UFOs.

As you say, though, lets see where this goes.
    She hadn't spent a load of time giving evidence in court.
    I don't think you can read much into his manner other than that he's done this a load of times before. Though the stakes are rather higher for him now.
  • Options
    edited June 25
    stodge said:

🌹Lab 49 (+8)
    🌳Con 19 (-17)
    🌼Plaid 12 (+2)
    ➡️Reform 12 (+7)
    🔶LD 5 (-1)
    🌍Green 3 (+2)

Montgomeryshire and Glyndŵr on a knife edge. Though I note it has Craig WIlliams as the PPC, so likely the full welsh set for Labour.
  • Options

The named gamblers.
  • Options
    edited June 25
    PPE story. Full Support Healthcare.

A classic public-sector-adjacent business, set up by a former nurse. Just like the bedside hospital phone operator.

£1.4bn of PPE destroyed. What interests me is that the we seem to be in hock for products we never received (if I am not being mislead by the ambiguous wording).
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cll476qzm85o

Full Support Healthcare agreed a £1.78bn deal in April 2020 to deliver face masks, respirators, eye protection and aprons - the largest Covid PPE order from a single supplier, accounting for 13% of the government’s total spend.

Before the pandemic, the company, which was already a specialist manufacturer of PPE, had 25 employees and annual profits of £800,000, external.

Any profits since the contract was fulfilled are not known because in 2021 the co-directors, Sarah Stoute, 50, and her husband Richard, 53, based the business offshore in Jersey for privacy reasons.

They and the company continue to pay all UK tax. Neither Full Support Healthcare nor the Stoutes have done anything improper.

Sarah Stoute wearing a high-visibility gilet and holding a clipboard and pen

BBC Investigations made a series of requests over a six-month period under the Freedom of Information Act to NHS Supply Chain, which manages the delivery of healthcare products.

The responses reveal that of the 2.02 billion items of PPE provided by Full Support, only 232 million items have been dispatched to the NHS or other care settings.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,988
    I honestly can’t think of a worse campaign by any party at any UK election, ever.

This is a campaign that the Tories had complete control over the timing of.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,633
    Nigelb said:

The named gamblers.
    To be fair, would they even know the unnamed gamblers? Possibly informed by the GC but might not have happened yet, or might not happen at all.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,190
    Interesting Feedback from a focus group in Romford last night https://x.com/BurnsConleth/status/1805534926336336301
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,792
    edited June 25
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

O/T As widely predicted:

Stop being such a flake

Actually I think we are ahead of the curve.

We had our spleen venting moment in 2016. We did the Brexit. We got it out of our system.

And now we regret it and we’re turning Centre-Left, and how.

We are 10 years ahead of the rest of western Europe. Britain often has been ahead of the pack and it’s good to see. We will NOT succumb to the far right, however much you’d like it not to be the case.
  • Options
    MattW said:

£1.4bn of PPE destroyed. What interests me is that the we seem to be in hock for products we never received.

The article makes it clear these are products we did receive but never used, and now it's out of date.

Realistically there's no alternative when demand surges then collapses. We were using 10 years worth of PPE in each week, then we weren't again, so when the music stops there's either going to be a case of running out of PPE and putting people's lives in greater jeopardy, or getting too much then never using it.
  • Options

MattW said:

£1.4bn of PPE destroyed. What interests me is that the we seem to be in hock for products we never received.

The article makes it clear these are products we did receive but never used, and now it's out of date.

Realistically there's no alternative when demand surges then collapses. We were using 10 years worth of PPE in each week, then we weren't again, so when the music stops there's either going to be a case of running out of PPE and putting people's lives in greater jeopardy, or getting too much then never using it.
    How does this stuff go out of date so quickly?

Is is just a paperwork thing or is there actual degradation of the material?

I'd have taken a few gowns for painting the ceiling etc etc.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,814
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

O/T As widely predicted:

Stop being such a flake

On a technical note, isn’t the towing back thing different in the cases of Australia and the UK, ie it was fairly substantial vessels in the former case and overcrowded flimsy inflatables in the latter? Even with bigger vessels, the recent Greek case shows it’s easy to fuck up especially if you’re not bothered about the continuing existence of the nasty flockers. A few refugees/migrants drowned by the state may be seen as a feature rather than a bug.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,538

MattW said:

True but it would have been better to give it away than destroy it.