Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Welcome to the world of volatility – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 40,032
    Farooq said:

TimS said:

On Farage and Putingate. It seems most people haven't noticed. Probably a story limited to the extremely online:

https://x.com/YouGov/status/1805277749717643633

Which makes him a twat for keeping it going with Bojo.

He should be talking about cost of living.
    You said he'd fucked it. On this evidence you were wrong.
    He has fucked it. Appealing to a limited audience supporting a murderer and thief is not going to carry the country.
    This is not the States. Frankly I would see it as our job to face off to cnts like Mad Vlad I'd be disappointed in a PM who wouldnt.

The evidence will be how he can convince voters they might like Marmite after all. He will have to reverse ferret pretty quickly.
    To be analytical about it, Farage does seem to arrive in the same place as the MAGA crowd - Biden loves Ukraine, so we hate Ukraine - from a different Journey? Farage journey is EU hatred. He hates the concept of the EU superstate, so is tough on the expansion of the EU superstate. Farage is not selling Putin as good ol tough guy Conservative can’t do any harm, as MAGA leans toward, he is trying to say EU bad, EU expansion kicks someone’s apple cart over and disrupts the order of things.

But kicking apple carts over and disrupting the world order is why EU fans love the EU project isn’t it? That’s its selling point, not weakness?
    All they have done is recreate the Austro Hungarian empire - with the Hungarians still being the people who like to mess things up.
    Shrewd point. The EU is very much like the Austro-Hungarian empire. Apart from the geographic and temporal extent, the governance structure, the wider political context, the demographics, technology, provenance, economy, culture, and the rights of its peoples... it's basically identical.
    Bit of vibrant pubtalk from Alan there, and here comes you with your sparkling water ...
  • Options
    mickydroymickydroy Posts: 299

Harry Cole going very easy on SKS. The Sun will back Labour IMHO.

Leaving it to the last minute
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,492

Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton
    Lowest % of 2019 Conservatives EVER to say they will vote Conservative again.

Westminster VI, 2019 Conservatives (21-24 June):

Conservative 35% (-2)
    Reform 28% (–)
    Labour 19% (-1)
    Other 8% (+1)
    Don't Know 9% (+1)

Changes +/- 19-20 June

https://x.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1805271013518721200

Presumably, this would see the LibDems become the official opposition. Can you imagine it?

The Tories would oppose most of it in principle, whereas with the LibDems that will only come into play when Labour’s authoritarian control freakery is on display. Otherwise the LDs will be urging Labour to be bolder and do more, which would certainly be a different type of opposition.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,249
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

ANME update: I posted the wife's ballot paper (no dog poo bins were harmed in the casting of this ballot).
    Mine remains resolutely unfilled in. I'm waiting for the maximum amount of evidence on who's likeliest to beat the Tories here but it's still looking likely to be the nationalists for me.
    Still no posters visible anywhere, and no new letters after the flurry that arrived about a week ago. The talk in the pub and the shops has been all football and how nice the weather is, but that might change now Scotland have limped out.

Reject the division of the Nationalists and vote for the Lib Dems.
    If the Lib Dems are likeliest to win here, I will. Same with Labour.

I've made it clear for years now that my vote is going to be whatever I feel is best to shift the Tories out.
    I voted Lib Dem last time and I have no regrets even though they had no hope in that election in my seat. "Bollocks to Brexit" was the right message for me.

But this time it's a punishment vote. Tories out. Show me evidence that puts one party ahead of the others, and I'll listen.
    The Tories are losing the general election bigly, whether ANME returns a Tory MP or not.

So the SNP win your seat they will use as a trigger for Indyref2 and what Scotland and UK really doesn't need that.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,803
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton

Conservative 35% (-2)
    Reform 28% (–)
    Labour 19% (-1)
    Other 8% (+1)
    Don't Know 9% (+1)

Changes +/- 19-20 June

Presumably, this would see the LibDems become the official opposition. Can you imagine it?

The Tories would oppose most of it in principle, whereas with the LibDems that will only come into play when Labour’s authoritarian control freakery is on display. Otherwise the LDs will be urging Labour to be bolder and do more, which would certainly be a different type of opposition.
    Not that different, its exactly how SKS treated being Opposition Leader during lockdown.

Be bolder in locking down for longer, do more lockdowns etc
  • Options

🆕 @Moreincommon_ voting intention. Small changes but our highest Reform score yet. While Labour tick back up & lead by 16
    🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)
    Dates: 21-23/6 N: 2046 Tables: moreincommon.org.uk/our-work/votin…
    https://x.com/LukeTryl/status/1805274012135702821?s=19

Reform up despite Putingate.
    The wide range of Reform %ages from national VI polls taken at the same time suggests there is some gross error in at least some of the pollsters’ assumptions. Compare the narrrower ranges for pretty much everyone else.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,920

Leon said:

We are ignoring the possibility - which I suggested a couple of days ago - that Farageputinukrainegate HAS had an effect but it’s just not showing - because it has killed the reform surge so their vote is now stuck around 15-19

Without his foolish words he might now be on 20+

There are at least 20% of the population who agree with him though , just because this place is an echo chamber on the subject , not all think like PB "left/right of centre" geeks

Leon said:

We are ignoring the possibility - which I suggested a couple of days ago - that Farageputinukrainegate HAS had an effect but it’s just not showing - because it has killed the reform surge so their vote is now stuck around 15-19

There are at least 20% of the population who agree with him though , just because this place is an echo chamber on the subject , not all think like PB "left/right of centre" geeks
    True.

Last nite I was in a car with a couple of Reform voters who were 100% behind Nige.

Some of you peeps need to get out more.
    Is there any polling data that supports stategoaway’s “at least 20%” assertion ?

The yougov polling would tend to suggest not more than 15%.
    https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49523-the-yougov-big-survey-on-nato-and-war
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,780

HYUFD said:

🆕 @Moreincommon_ voting intention. Small changes but our highest Reform score yet. While Labour tick back up & lead by 16
    🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Reform up but Tories will be relieved their lead over Reform for 2nd is 10% ie double the 5% lead Reform have over the LDs for 3rd
    Why should the Tories be relieved ? They will lose and then have to rebuild a party.
    Actually that is inevitable and I may be mistaken but I cannot see much change in the polling over the next 12 days

I suppose it will all come down to the 'hovering pen' over the ballot paper

For me I just want Starmer in no 10 and for the country to move on
    Twelve days? You are Laura K and I claim by fiver.
    It is 12 days to the 5th July
    It is nine and a bit days until polling day.
    24,25,26,27,28,29,30,01,02,03,04 and result day 05 = 12 days
    I am getting flashbacks to arguments with my daughter about how to count steps.

In 1 day it is the 25th, tomorrow not today, so it is 11 days until Friday evening, the day after the election.
    Do you count today or not is always a matter of some debate.

For me the debate is wrapped up by thinking its nearly 7pm and I've got a beer open, so no, today is done.

Had you said this at 8am this morning, I'd have looked at needing to work today and said yes today has to be counted.
    Bear in mind my daughter was five at the time, and I think you may want to reconsider your answer. In 1 day from 8am on a day it will then be 8am on the next day. Tomorrow.

A flat floor is not a flight of stairs with 1 step.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,507
    Murdoch likes to back the winner in the hope that he can exert some control and take some credit for the win .

I’m still dubious the Sun will though because of Starmers role in prosecuting some of those involved in the phone hacking .
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Fucking terrible South American folk band ruining everyone’s evening

So that’s why they’re all voting for le pen

Nothing beats a bit of live music on the terrace.
    Manuel of the Mountains?
  • Options
    SKS gave a good answer on the NHS question and private schools. But Harry Cole barely even got out of bed and the audience weren't very...hostile?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Reform up but Tories will be relieved their lead over Reform for 2nd is 10% ie double the 5% lead Reform have over the LDs for 3rd
    Why should the Tories be relieved ? They will lose and then have to rebuild a party.
    Actually that is inevitable and I may be mistaken but I cannot see much change in the polling over the next 12 days

In 1 day it is the 25th, tomorrow not today, so it is 11 days until Friday evening, the day after the election.

For me the debate is wrapped up by thinking its nearly 7pm and I've got a beer open, so no, today is done.

Had you said this at 8am this morning, I'd have looked at needing to work today and said yes today has to be counted.
    You shouldn't count both today and the day when the "it" is happening. So something happening on Thursday is happening in 3 days (not 4).

That's definitive for me. It's not a matter of debate.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,043
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

True.

Last nite I was in a car with a couple of Reform voters who were 100% behind Nige.

Is there any polling data that supports stategoaway’s “at least 20%” assertion ?

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49523-the-yougov-big-survey-on-nato-and-war
    It was 50% of the occupants of the car, but we were not BPC registered.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Bear in mind my daughter was five at the time, and I think you may want to reconsider your answer. In 1 day from 8am on a day it will then be 8am on the next day. Tomorrow.

1 day from 8am is 8am tomorrow, if we're going full 24 hour units, but today is a day which hasn't happened yet then too so if we're counting discrete days and not hours, then today ought to be counted.

So if we are going off discrete days the question becomes whether you round up, or round down, essentially.

Many years ago I worked in a business which very strictly operated on this principle for dating products. If a product was dated 8 days from now, then that would be a week today. Why? Because today always has to be counted was the rule. If it was dating products for 2 days, that would be today and tomorrow. If something was dated 1 day then that means by close of business today.

All day today and then all day tomorrow ≠ 1 day.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,240
    edited June 24
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton

Conservative 35% (-2)
    Reform 28% (–)
    Labour 19% (-1)
    Other 8% (+1)
    Don't Know 9% (+1)

Changes +/- 19-20 June

I do wonder if Ed would actually be up for the doing the LOTO role full time.

Yes, he did a great job as SoS for Energy, and is a fine leader of the party in its current form. But he's not a particularly great Commons performer, and I suspect he might struggle to make an impact at PMQs and the Budget response etc.

Perhaps we might see at Lib Dem leadership election a year or two into the next parliament?
  • Options

https://x.com/redfieldwilton/status/1805269652861231157?s=46

Redfield and Wilton

Labour leads Reform by 23%.

Joint-highest Reform %.

Joint-lowest Conservative %.

🇬🇧 Westminster VI (21-24 June):

Labour 42% (–)
    Reform UK 19% (–)
    Conservative 18% (–)
    Lib Dem 12% (+1)
    Green 6% (+1)
    SNP 3% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

BAXTERED

LAB 501
    LIB DEMS 60
    CONS 38
    REFUK 5
    GRN 2

Absolutely disastrous for the conservatives given it includes faragegate. No impact whatsoever on polling.
    Welcome GrandCanyon. Are you bit of a wide boy?

It’s impossible for taking Putin’s side in the Ukraine war, like MAGA do, not to hurt Reform by quite a lot actually. British voters are different culture than the MAGA crowd, European, different history, not instinctively isolationist as US history, and political and media establishment that condemns Putin for his crimes. Let’s look again next Monday to see if Ref have dropped quite a lot across all the polls. Like Tory’s 26, Ref no more than 12.
    Look at your own post. You had to exaggerate NF's words, because on their own, they're not sufficient to make your case. Everything to do with Ukraine is completely heightened and exaggerated - every bit of the political and media class is totally invested in pushing the 'Putin evil' message, and there is no room for even a little descent. That opens up what I will call a 'common sense gap' for Farage that he can step into, where he can say something fairly mild - something that Boris once said, something not entirely unsupported by the facts of the case; the entire political and media will mobilise against him, and people who are sick of being told what to think will rally to his side.
    But Farage is still wrong though. The point of the EU “is” to peel Slavonic states away from Russia allegiance to create a super bloc that abides by democracy, fair capitalism, better living standards, education and infrastructure for everyone.
    How does that point make him wrong?
    It’s so obvious why. Peeling them away from Russia to give them those things is so much better for the people living in those states.
    Yes, so how does that make what he said (that they gave him the excuse to invade Ukraine) wrong?
    Because if an Independent Scotland said they are joining the EU, and will then allow EU snoop devices along the border with us, on their side, we would be completely in the WRONG to invade them. Would we not? Simples.
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 582

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

If people voting Conservative also want Starmer in number ten he's going to have a humungous mandate!
    Unfortunately for Starmer its a mandate for conflicting things, many of which are effectively impossible to achieve in any case.
    He’s going to bring in some vile law forbidding Islamophobia which will be so widely and loosely drawn it will make it impossible to criticise a RELIGION

Thus reversing the Enlightenment once and for all, and bringing back blasphemy laws. You could argue we are there already but starmer will make it formal. An enormous tragedy for the west. We will be no freer than the Chinese
    Is this something you've made up in your head, or is this something in their manifesto?

Criticising any religion is free speech.
    I mean New Labour introduced a religious hatred law

https://www.npr.org/2005/06/26/4719118/religious-hatred-law-in-britain-faces-backlash
    Which does not cover criticising any religion, which is still legally protected free speech.

I can say I dislike Islam, or the Catholic Church, or Christianity in general, or Judaism, or any other belief and it is free speech and not a crime.
    Really not straightforward when religion is 99% coextensive with race. People who dislike Judaism are not in reality saying that they have conceptual difficulties with the Pentateuch. There are vanishingly few white Anglo Saxon Muslims. Etc.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

You shouldn't count both today and the day when the "it" is happening. So something happening on Thursday is happening in 3 days (not 4).

It is absolutely a matter of debate - and a matter of rounding.

The election runs until 10pm at night.

So if we were having the conversation at 8am on Wednesday 3rd July there would definitively be two days left of the campaign - the 3rd, and the 4th itself.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,071
    I think there might just be a lot of goals in the Spain v Albania match. 😊 Spain ranked 8th, Albania 66th.

https://inside.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/men
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

True.

It depends if you count the 'left' Putinists as well as the right Putinists
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,398

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton

Conservative 35% (-2)
    Reform 28% (–)
    Labour 19% (-1)
    Other 8% (+1)
    Don't Know 9% (+1)

Changes +/- 19-20 June

Not that different, its exactly how SKS treated being Opposition Leader during lockdown.

Save more lives. Heartless bastard.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,157

IT'S THE SUNIL WOT WON IT!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,071
    Farooq said:

ANME update: I posted the wife's ballot paper (no dog poo bins were harmed in the casting of this ballot).
    Mine remains resolutely unfilled in. I'm waiting for the maximum amount of evidence on who's likeliest to beat the Tories here but it's still looking likely to be the nationalists for me.
    Still no posters visible anywhere, and no new letters after the flurry that arrived about a week ago. The talk in the pub and the shops has been all football and how nice the weather is, but that might change now Scotland have limped out.

Vote Rochdale.
  • Options
    LloydBanksLloydBanks Posts: 27

I wonder if there's a chance they back Reform
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,556
    I just got an email from Theresa May.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

But is that "this Thursday" or "next Thursday"?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

I’d hate to intrude, but if ballot boxes don’t close till 10pm, that day can’t be over at 7.
  • Options

Nunu5 said:

From Deltapoll twitter
    🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Labour lead by 24 points in our latest poll.
    Con 19% (-)
    Lab 43% (-3)
    Lib Dem 13% (+3)
    Reform 15% (-1)
    SNP 2% (-)
    Green 5% (-)
    Other 2% (+1)
    Fieldwork: 21st to 24th June 2024
    Sample: 1,568 GB adults
    (Changes from 14th - 17th June 2024)

Good old Dutch Salute in that poll. 🫡
    This poll must be worse for the Tories that a 27% labour lead?
    Yes. Because a lot of what PB has been doing is taking poll numbers and putting them into uniform swing models, that are unrealistic as no election in any region or seat is uniform. The biggest variable in this election is the size and precision of tactical voting.

It’s Brexit. Brexit is really hurting the Tories, at least in this particular stretch of unknown length in British political history.
    The word that dare not be spoken - but MoonRabbit is right. Look at the Ipsos and YouGov MRPs. The Lib Dems did much better in the latter and that is the difference between polling a well targeted 13% and polling a well targeted 10%. Cons go down like ninepins in some very remarkable constituencies. The LibDem GOTV next week will matter like never before.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 314

Dear Casino Royale,

It seems something has changed ......
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,373

Redfield and Wilton

Joint-highest Reform %.

Labour 42% (–)
    Reform UK 19% (–)
    Conservative 18% (–)
    Lib Dem 12% (+1)
    Green 6% (+1)
    SNP 3% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

BAXTERED

LAB 501
    LIB DEMS 60
    CONS 38
    REFUK 5
    GRN 2

Absolutely disastrous for the conservatives given it includes faragegate. No impact whatsoever on polling.

It’s impossible for taking Putin’s side in the Ukraine war, like MAGA do, not to hurt Reform by quite a lot actually. British voters are different culture than the MAGA crowd, European, different history, not instinctively isolationist as US history, and political and media establishment that condemns Putin for his crimes. Let’s look again next Monday to see if Ref have dropped quite a lot across all the polls. Like Tory’s 26, Ref no more than 12.
    Look at your own post. You had to exaggerate NF's words, because on their own, they're not sufficient to make your case. Everything to do with Ukraine is completely heightened and exaggerated - every bit of the political and media class is totally invested in pushing the 'Putin evil' message, and there is no room for even a little descent. That opens up what I will call a 'common sense gap' for Farage that he can step into, where he can say something fairly mild - something that Boris once said, something not entirely unsupported by the facts of the case; the entire political and media will mobilise against him, and people who are sick of being told what to think will rally to his side.
    But Farage is still wrong though. The point of the EU “is” to peel Slavonic states away from Russia allegiance to create a super bloc that abides by democracy, fair capitalism, better living standards, education and infrastructure for everyone.
    It’s so obvious why. Peeling them away from Russia to give them those things is so much better for the people living in those states.
    Yes, so how does that make what he said (that they gave him the excuse to invade Ukraine) wrong?
    Because if an Independent Scotland said they are joining the EU, and will then allow EU snoop devices along the border with us, on their side, we would be completely in the WRONG to invade them. Would we not? Simples.
    Nobody is saying that Putin wasn't wrong to invade Ukraine. Farage has suggested that the EU expanding into Ukraine gave Putin a pretext to invade. Putin being 'wrong' to do so is neither here nor there - we're not 5 years old.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,310

Leon said:

Leon said:

Agreed. He is putting a cap on potential support. He would have been safer blaming it all on weakness from Obama and Cameron not standing up in 2014 when Crimea was annexed.

Credit to Nick Robinson for forcing the story.
    Farage may still get that late surge as people forget the Ukraine stuff. Who knows. He only needs to take 2-3 more from the Tories and they are finished forever and he can take over
    Take over what ?

Even he manages to become a more important loudmouth that's not equal to being in government.
    I think he means a reverse take over of what is left of the Conservative brand. Remember as Farage and Tommy Ten Names enter from the right a shedload of one nation Tories leave stage left.
    What happens if the Conservatives don't let him in ?

There's no shortage of wannabe big shots among Conservative politicians who would not want to take orders from Farage and his rabble.
    I guess it depends on who is left standing if it is indeed a rout (which I doubt).

If the rump is full of Suellas, Jenricks and Christopher Chopes they'd bite his hand off. If that comes to pass Henley on Thames goes LD next time.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 314

I wonder if there's a chance they back Reform
    Back reform where they can win!
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

So if we were having the conversation at 8am on Wednesday 3rd July there would definitively be two days left of the campaign - the 3rd, and the 4th itself.
    4th July is in 10 days so the election is in 10 days. Debating is not appropriate for this. You can only debate things that are debatable.
  • Options

Redfield and Wilton

Joint-highest Reform %.

Labour 42% (–)
    Reform UK 19% (–)
    Conservative 18% (–)
    Lib Dem 12% (+1)
    Green 6% (+1)
    SNP 3% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

BAXTERED

LAB 501
    LIB DEMS 60
    CONS 38
    REFUK 5
    GRN 2

Nobody is saying that Putin wasn't wrong to invade Ukraine. Farage has suggested that the EU expanding into Ukraine gave Putin a pretext to invade. Putin being 'wrong' to do so is neither here nor there - we're not 5 years old.
    I’m sorry, I thought he had gone further than saying “just a pretext”.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

4th July is in 10 days so the election is in 10 days. Debating is not appropriate for this. You can only debate things that are debatable.
    Today is a day, that is not debatable either.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,635
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The long day closes

Le Fisher at Carnac Plage?
    Very good but no

Le Fisher at Quiberon just down the way. I presume it is a chain then? If you identified the brand but not the place? It’s lush
    Ah! I hadn't actually realised there was more than one of them. The one at Carnac Plage is similarly swish and scene-y. Enjoy your trip!
    I had no idea southern Brittany is so…. Posh. Its like a kind of Atlantic Côte d’Azur but it’s better because its not full of retired British tampon ad executives (naming no names - but I mean @roger aka rogerdamus. Roger. That’s who I mean. Roger. But I’m staying shtum I won’t reveal that I mean roger)

Also, wtf is wrong with the frogs. I am increasingly obsessed with the disjunct between their cushy lives and their political anger. I’m in morbihan. I just checked the euro elex results here

Yep. Bardella won. Ok you could argue that’s a family vote as the le pens are from morbihan but much of Brittany went for le pen as indeed did much of France

What’s their problem? Do they want even nicer roundabouts?

It’s not like it’s all massively expensive either. It isn’t. 🤷🏼‍♂️

It is something of a mystery. The place just drips ‘quality of life’. The climate is, largely lovely, the towns pristine, the roads out of this world. Hmm.
  • Options

I got one purporting to be from Angela Rayner with the title "Free This Weekend?"

Sadly it was just a request for me to go canvassing.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,084

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Really is this such an issue

India beating Australia is far more interesting
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,581
    Pro_Rata said:

FPT

TimS said:
    My conflict coordinates are 75% Palestine, 80.56% Ukraine. I don't think that's wrong, but I'm not certain about the value of this test. I tried to answer questions in the abstract, but it was very obvious which questions related to what Israeli/Palestinian/Russian/Ukrainian claims.
    Indeed, I thought similar. I agree with where I ended up and will use my image of the day on it, but not sure how meaningful it is.

Fun test though, thank you TimS for sharing it.

I've come out as completely neutral on Russia / Ukraine and halfway into the Palestinian half of the field. That is way out

Trouble with general principles is that, for example, yes, some of the things Russia say they are doing can in some circumstances be legitimate, except for the fact they are talking total rubbish, and answering for the general principle doesn't say whether you believe that principle applies in a given circumstance.
    you must be a yellow bellied appeaser.
  • Options

She’s short of cash, too ?

My wife donated to the Democrats yeas ago, and still gets similar emails.
  • Options

Nunu5 said:

From Deltapoll twitter
    🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Con 19% (-)
    Lab 43% (-3)
    Lib Dem 13% (+3)
    Reform 15% (-1)
    SNP 2% (-)
    Green 5% (-)
    Other 2% (+1)

Yes. Because a lot of what PB has been doing is taking poll numbers and putting them into uniform swing models, that are unrealistic as no election in any region or seat is uniform. The biggest variable in this election is the size and precision of tactical voting.

It’s Brexit. Brexit is really hurting the Tories, at least in this particular stretch of unknown length in British political history.
    As I understand it Baxter is essentially UNS with a few tweaks, including a tactical voting model.

But this time, everyone is appalled by the Tories and hence the swing will be more proportional than uniform, as those areas where there are more Tory voters will have the bigger swings away.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Really is this such an issue

India beating Australia is far more interesting
    Its a shame that we face India in the Semi-Final though, the Final would be far more scintillating for that match.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

The irony is that for 38 years the Scots sang songs about Maradona and wore Argentina shirts and it’s an Argie ref who stiffs them for a stonewall penalty. Absolute theatre last night 😂😂😂 #EURo2024

https://x.com/njones179/status/1805125649431961949

I don't think it was stonewall penalty. I wanted it given, but objectively speaking it wasn't a terrible decision not to give it.

I do think there was a question off offside on the Hungary goal, but honestly that only made a difference to them, not us. A draw wasn't enough. Good luck to Hungary. We were 4th best in the group overall, so there's no use moaning about the result.
    It was a very poor decision not to have a look at VAR.
    (In the view of this football ignoramus.)
    The feckers rushed to VAR for everything else, absolute crap as was the referee to both teams, where do they find these amateurs.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,897

Redfield and Wilton

Joint-highest Reform %.

Labour 42% (–)
    Reform UK 19% (–)
    Conservative 18% (–)
    Lib Dem 12% (+1)
    Green 6% (+1)
    SNP 3% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

BAXTERED

LAB 501
    LIB DEMS 60
    CONS 38
    REFUK 5
    GRN 2

Farage's view is stoopid. Ukraine's mere existence gave Putin a pretext to invade; as his speeches have said since. In his perverted mind, Ukraine *is* Russia. But it did not want to be Russia, and therefore it had to suffer a punishment beating until it becomes Russia.

It's f-all to do with NATO, or the EU. It's to do with Putin's ridiculous reading of history and an aggrandised view of his country's place in the world. And a rather weird view of self-determination and democracy.
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 582

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton

Conservative 35% (-2)
    Reform 28% (–)
    Labour 19% (-1)
    Other 8% (+1)
    Don't Know 9% (+1)

Changes +/- 19-20 June

Save more lives. Heartless bastard.
    Ruin more childhoods. Enable more domestic abuse.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Chris said:

https://x.com/9andrewmcdonald/status/1805259442499305729?s=46

Interesting exchange in the Facebook comments under this video, between Tory candidate James Cracknell and one of his fans

"Who knows who will be leading the party come 5th July", Tory candidate Cracknell said — adding a winking smiley face

Loyalty famously used to be the Troies' "secret weapon".

It seems to have completely evaporated now.
    Yes. I am a moderate loyal Tory from the egg, always voted for them in general elections as the better of the options available, since 1974, brought up in middle class, public service class, Telegraph reading London household. My loyalty to the Toryism I have inherited is demonstrated by the fact I am voting Labour this time, as are most of the Tories I know.
    you could have just said you were a selfish total arsehole and saved some time
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I think there might just be a lot of goals in the Spain v Albania match. 😊 Spain ranked 8th, Albania 66th.

But Spain refuse to shoot until they've strung together 55 passes. That gives them barely time for three shots per game.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Yes it is. Good note to end on. Debate avoided since not necessary.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

But is that "this Thursday" or "next Thursday"?
    For me "this". But that is just slightly debatable.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,448
    edited June 24
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Macron is telling the french they will descend in to a civil war if they dont vote for him.

I find that a touch debatable
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Spain are through already, aren’t they? So maybe they’ll take it easy.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Macron is telling the french they will descend in to a civil war if they dont vote for him.

Ascend, surely?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Macron is telling the french they willdescend in to a civil war if they dont vote for him.

If he believed that, he wouldn't/shouldn't have called an early election.

What a prat.
  • Options
    TimS said:

From Deltapoll twitter
    🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Con 19% (-)
    Lab 43% (-3)
    Lib Dem 13% (+3)
    Reform 15% (-1)
    SNP 2% (-)
    Green 5% (-)
    Other 2% (+1)

Yep, Dutch salute KLAXON
    I never did grasp what the Dutch Salute was/is. Some of tactical voting strategy?
  • Options
    MattW said:

FPT:

MattW said:

MattW said:

An "interesting" story, with several sides.

Farmer in Devon deliberately sprays wild camper, camping on the margin of a field that had already been cut, with slurry.

He could just have asked him to move on, but planned and executed an assault, then had it reported in the Soaraway Sun.

What could possibly go wrong?

I'd say that it somewhat increases the likelihood of right to roam in England being addressed by the next Government.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/28620921/farmer-shoots-poo-slurry-wild-camper-tent/

Committed an assault and documented it? Not the brightest.

A right to roam in England will be difficult.

There is a lot more land next to urban sprawl and plenty of anti-social behaviour to go with it.

There is also a right of way network which doesn't really exist in Scotland and we already have access land in some suitable places.

Extend Access Land? - yes.
    A blanket right to roam? - a recipe for trouble.
    Yep - I agree it's a can or worms, which I think is why New Labour only went so far.

AIUI the Scottish setup has been quite effective, so that is a good, but maybe partial due to population density etc, model.

The RoW network is very badly neglected, with some bizarre general practices such as newly created publicly funded multiuser paths not being dedicated as RoWs. The current Govt has been as chaotic about this, as they are about everything else - with for example Theresa Coffey being a patsy for the landowner lobby.

My preference is for the role of LHAs to be broadened to be Public Highway bodies, rather than "Roads" Bodies with nods to other things, and public highway policing to become a statutory responsibility of police forces.

Access land in England is a mess - there are hundreds of areas of access land everywhere which cannot be reached without trespassing to get there. There's a good video by Paul Whitewick on that issue here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0GiPtOHI7U

It all seems ripe for a tidy up, and it will be popular with pretty much all of Sir Keir Starmer's support base. I don't see a political downside for him.
    Agree, a tidy up would be good.

I'm not averse to a bit of trespass myself depending on the circumstances but I always do so responsibly. :smile:

A number of RoWs round here are impassible to sane people (very high vegetation, rutted and swampy) but also have very rare plants on them which would not benefit from them being cleared and surfaced.

We were asked to collect some seeds for Kew from one.

Poor maintainance of signage and stiles / gates is endemic, though, and that could be fixed with a few quid.

One of my favourite bloggers at present is Kate Ashbrook, who was a Ramblers' trustee for about 30 years - the kind of Englishwoman who writes about organising ~100 path-check volunteers for a couple of decades in Buckinghamshire in her spare time, as if it was like boiling an egg. She was the protagonist in the Hoogstraten case, and resolving it involved minor things such as getting new clauses in the CROW Act 2000.

You and others might enjoy; I'm slowly working my way through 14 years of ~3-weekly blogging.

Since we have been on access, here's a short piece she wrote about a walk designed to show Richard Benyon the Minister about problems with access land in England:

https://campaignerkate.wordpress.com/2022/07/31/walk-for-a-minister/

Think I would rather pull my teeth out with pliers Matt, but each to their own.
  • Options

Nunu5 said:

From Deltapoll twitter
    🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Con 19% (-)
    Lab 43% (-3)
    Lib Dem 13% (+3)
    Reform 15% (-1)
    SNP 2% (-)
    Green 5% (-)
    Other 2% (+1)

The word that dare not be spoken - but MoonRabbit is right. Look at the Ipsos and YouGov MRPs. The Lib Dems did much better in the latter and that is the difference between polling a well targeted 13% and polling a well targeted 10%. Cons go down like ninepins in some very remarkable constituencies. The LibDem GOTV next week will matter like never before.
    So what is in my mind is, what is the “fatal” seat number for the Conservatives to fall to? At what point does the Conservative Party of the last 2 centuries never come back quite the same? That whatever UK Conservatism is called in future, it’s more PopCon in character, shaped by a rightwing drift to the economics of Boris and Truss, it loses that USP for sound finance, and with less centre ground members and MPs too than it has always had historically, things open up for Labour to become the dominant force in UK politics, in a mirror of the last 100 years.

What sort of seat range proves fatal to coming back as a centre right force, rather than a pop right one?
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

From Deltapoll twitter
    🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Con 19% (-)
    Lab 43% (-3)
    Lib Dem 13% (+3)
    Reform 15% (-1)
    SNP 2% (-)
    Green 5% (-)
    Other 2% (+1)

Well, that's an interesting poll to a point. Much better for the LDs but if we're seeing a tactical vote shift much worse for the Conservatives.

Having a look at the More In Common data, it's fascinating to see the big Conservative leads among the two groups most likely to vote - the 65-74 group has the Conservatives ahead 38-25 and among those aged 75+ 43-25. Those two Conservative blocs combined are 48% of the total Conservative vote but these are the two age groups most likely to turn out (75-80% certain to vote) so what may hold up the Conservative vote are the old and the very old.

The combined Conservative VI among those aged 65+ on MiC is 40.3%, R&W has 25% for its 65+ sub sample.

There's your difference.
    Been telling you - door-knocking shows the oldies and crumblies are still backing Team Tories.
    Not to the extent they did in 2019 and we only have your anecdotal evidence of what is going on in your part of the world.

In 2019, the over 65s went 64% Conservative, 17% Labour - if it's now 40.5% Conservative, 25% Labour that's a 16% swing which isn't too shabby. Among younger age groups the swing will be much larger.

We also have plenty of evidence older voters back Reform so some of your erstwhile Tories (whatever they may tell you on the doorstep) might support Farage.
    Are you subsampling there though?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,108

Nunu5 said:

From Deltapoll twitter
    🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Con 19% (-)
    Lab 43% (-3)
    Lib Dem 13% (+3)
    Reform 15% (-1)
    SNP 2% (-)
    Green 5% (-)
    Other 2% (+1)

It goes even further back than that. Next Thursday will see then end of a psychodrama within the Conservative Party that began in 1992, when I was 18, over Europe. People thought it ended in 2019 but the side that “won” following that year’s purge, the Eurosceptics, may go down in history as having destroyed the party they took control of.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,970
    edited June 24

Redfield and Wilton

Joint-highest Reform %.

Labour 42% (–)
    Reform UK 19% (–)
    Conservative 18% (–)
    Lib Dem 12% (+1)
    Green 6% (+1)
    SNP 3% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

BAXTERED

LAB 501
    LIB DEMS 60
    CONS 38
    REFUK 5
    GRN 2

Farage's view is stoopid. Ukraine's mere existence gave Putin a pretext to invade; as his speeches have said since. In his perverted mind, Ukraine *is* Russia. But it did not want to be Russia, and therefore it had to suffer a punishment beating until it becomes Russia.

It's f-all to do with NATO, or the EU. It's to do with Putin's ridiculous reading of history and an aggrandised view of his country's place in the world. And a rather weird view of self-determination and democracy.
    I don't even understand the argument being made here. Farage is saying it was a pretext, ok, and that Putin was wrong to use it, fine.

But by definition a pretext is not the real reason for an action, so even if we say for sake of argument the EU expanding was a pretext Putin used (in reality he used lots of different ones), clearly that did not matter since, well, it was a pretext. He'd have found another one, that's why it was a pretext.

But that is not what Farage is doing. He is clearly trying to criticise the EU and the West for expanding East. And the only way that makes sense is if he thinks that expansion was not a pretext, but in fact a justification.

Yes, he does make sure to say Putin should not have done what he did. But it simply makes no sense to go 'Look, we gave Putin a pretext and that was wrong of us' since someone else creating a pretext is still not our, or the EU's, fault, but he is trying to say it (partly) was.

If it was anyone but Putin's fault, it's not a pretext but a justification. If it is a pretext, then it's not the EU's fault as he keeps trying to claim, even if in part.
  • Options

Redfield and Wilton

Joint-highest Reform %.

Labour 42% (–)
    Reform UK 19% (–)
    Conservative 18% (–)
    Lib Dem 12% (+1)
    Green 6% (+1)
    SNP 3% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

BAXTERED

LAB 501
    LIB DEMS 60
    CONS 38
    REFUK 5
    GRN 2

Farage:
    “ As I have made clear on multiple occasions since then, if you poke the Russian bear with a stick, don’t be surprised if he responds.”

Big on the victim blaming, your Nige.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,450

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Counting is an ancient problem, and is mostly about exclusive and inclusive counting, and a bit of a puzzle for lawyers too.

Anciently, the tradition 'three days' from death to resurrection of Jesus is odd; death on Friday afternoon. Resurrected by early Sunday morning, is a day and a half to us.

Is a school half term (Mon-Fri) really 5 days, or is it really the Friday 3.30 to 8 am Monday, 10 days later?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,556
    Putting up a Liberal Democrat orange diamond on your property is akin to publicly admitting you have no penis.
  • Options

Putting up a Liberal Democrat orange diamond on your property is akin to publicly admitting you have no penis.

For literally half the population that isn't giving away much new information TBF.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,507
    In 2019 postal votes made up 21% of valid ballots counted . Even if there’s some late swing back to the Tories they’ll already be facing an uphill struggle.

Pollsters really should be asking now about postal votes .
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,569
    IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

10 changes for Spain.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,234
    AP (via Seattle Times) - *US Supreme Court rejects challenge to new horse racing anti-doping rules

The Supreme Court on Monday rejected a challenge from Republican-controlled states to a horse racing safety law that has led to national medication and anti-doping rules.

The justices left in place an appeals court ruling that upheld the law and rejected claims that Congress gave too much power to the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority, the private entity that administers the rules.

Charles Scheeler, chairman of HISA’s board of directors, cited a 38% decline in equine fatalities for the first three months of this year in applauding the court’s decision.

“HISA’s uniform standards are having a material, positive impact on the health and well-being of horses,” he said in a statement.

Oklahoma, Louisiana and West Virginia sought to have the law struck down, joined by several racetracks. . . .

The anti-doping program, which took effect in the spring of 2023, is an attempt to centralize the drug testing of racehorses and manage the results, as well as dole out uniform penalties to horses and trainers instead of the previous patchwork rules in the 38 racing states. . . .

SSI - As long-time resident of both West Virginia and Louisiana (later being only state were I've ever been to any horse racetrack) strongly applaud SCOTUS for it's rare (in more ways than one) collective wisdom in this instance.

BTW (also FYI) yours truly did see the King & Queen making the classic entrance at Royal this weekend having just flipped on my humble TV. KCIII looked to be in decent shape for an active cancer patient, and was heartened to see that Camilla was wearing an actual hat NOT one of those awful "facinators" which personally find as fascinating as poo on my shoe.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Redfield and Wilton

Joint-highest Reform %.

Labour 42% (–)
    Reform UK 19% (–)
    Conservative 18% (–)
    Lib Dem 12% (+1)
    Green 6% (+1)
    SNP 3% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

BAXTERED

LAB 501
    LIB DEMS 60
    CONS 38
    REFUK 5
    GRN 2

Farage:
    “ As I have made clear on multiple occasions since then, if you poke the Russian bear with a stick, don’t be surprised if he responds.”

Big on the victim blaming, your Nige.
    Farage has suggested that the EU expanding into Ukraine gave Putin a pretext to invade. Putin being 'wrong' to do so is neither here nor there - we're not 5 years old.

No, we're not, that's why that doesn't make any sense!

It relies on a universe where other reasons have not been given, and where 'giving' a pretext to someone is something to be criticised for, even though a pretext is a fake reason and so it doesn't matter if you give one or not.

Made up reasons have also been given as pretexts, I wonder how those are the EU's fault too.

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,450
    kle4 said:

Redfield and Wilton

Joint-highest Reform %.

Labour 42% (–)
    Reform UK 19% (–)
    Conservative 18% (–)
    Lib Dem 12% (+1)
    Green 6% (+1)
    SNP 3% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

BAXTERED

LAB 501
    LIB DEMS 60
    CONS 38
    REFUK 5
    GRN 2

I don't even understand the argument being made here. Farage is saying it was a pretext, ok, and that Putin was wrong to use it, fine.

But by definition a pretext is not the real reason for an action, so even if we say for sake of argument the EU expanding was a pretext Putin used (in reality he used lots of different ones), clearly that did not matter since, well, it was a pretext. He'd have found another one, that's why it was a pretext.

But that is not what Farage is doing. He is clearly trying to criticise the EU and the West for expanding East. And the only way that makes sense is if he thinks that expansion was not a pretext, but in fact a justification.

Yes, he does make sure to say Putin should not have done what he did. But it simply makes no sense to go 'Look, we gave Putin a pretext and that was wrong of us' since someone else creating a pretext is still not our, or the EU's, fault, but he is trying to say it (partly) was.

If it was anyone but Putin's fault, it's not a pretext but a justification. If it is a pretext, then it's not the EU's fault as he keeps trying to claim, even if in part.
    Of course but I don't think you will find either conspiracy theorists or older members of Clacton bowls club are listening to the finer points.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,550

Are you lot really that afraid you're going to finish third?
  • Options

AP (via Seattle Times) - *US Supreme Court rejects challenge to new horse racing anti-doping rules

The Supreme Court on Monday rejected a challenge from Republican-controlled states to a horse racing safety law that has led to national medication and anti-doping rules.

The justices left in place an appeals court ruling that upheld the law and rejected claims that Congress gave too much power to the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Authority, the private entity that administers the rules.

Charles Scheeler, chairman of HISA’s board of directors, cited a 38% decline in equine fatalities for the first three months of this year in applauding the court’s decision.

“HISA’s uniform standards are having a material, positive impact on the health and well-being of horses,” he said in a statement.

Oklahoma, Louisiana and West Virginia sought to have the law struck down, joined by several racetracks. . . .

The anti-doping program, which took effect in the spring of 2023, is an attempt to centralize the drug testing of racehorses and manage the results, as well as dole out uniform penalties to horses and trainers instead of the previous patchwork rules in the 38 racing states. . . .

SSI - As long-time resident of both West Virginia and Louisiana (later being only state were I've ever been to any horse racetrack) strongly applaud SCOTUS for it's rare (in more ways than one) collective wisdom in this instance.

BTW (also FYI) yours truly did see the King & Queen making the classic entrance at Royal this weekend having just flipped on my humble TV. KCIII looked to be in decent shape for an active cancer patient, and was heartened to see that Camilla was wearing an actual hat NOT one of those awful "facinators" which personally find as fascinating as poo on my shoe.

A positive story surrounding royals and horses to balance the unfortunate news about Anne.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

In 2019 postal votes made up 21% of valid ballots counted . Even if there’s some late swing back to the Tories they’ll already be facing an uphill struggle.

Pollsters really should be asking now about postal votes .

Had to complain to Ashford BC about the good lady's not arriving yet.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Nunu5 said:

From Deltapoll twitter
    🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Con 19% (-)
    Lab 43% (-3)
    Lib Dem 13% (+3)
    Reform 15% (-1)
    SNP 2% (-)
    Green 5% (-)
    Other 2% (+1)

It goes even further back than that. Next Thursday will see then end of a psychodrama within the Conservative Party that began in 1992, when I was 18, over Europe. People thought it ended in 2019 but the side that “won” following that year’s purge, the Eurosceptics, may go down in history as having destroyed the party they took control of.
    They will, but why would that be the end of the psychodrama. The argument post July 4th will continue to be whether they needed to go harder on every issue - Brexit, Immigration, whatever - or go softer.

Every indication is the Members will believe they should have gone harder, but not all of them will, so the drama will continue.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,310

Putting up a blue one implies one is a penis! Some of the Cowbridge farmers' fields have replaced their Alun Cairns placards with barely readable Reform signs. Is that what Farage's bunch call themselves? The signs are almost illegible. Perhaps they were drawn with crayons.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,429

Nunu5 said:

From Deltapoll twitter
    🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Con 19% (-)
    Lab 43% (-3)
    Lib Dem 13% (+3)
    Reform 15% (-1)
    SNP 2% (-)
    Green 5% (-)
    Other 2% (+1)

So what is in my mind is, what is the “fatal” seat number for the Conservatives to fall to? At what point does the Conservative Party of the last 2 centuries never come back quite the same? That whatever UK Conservatism is called in future, it’s more PopCon in character, shaped by a rightwing drift to the economics of Boris and Truss, it loses that USP for sound finance, and with less centre ground members and MPs too than it has always had historically, things open up for Labour to become the dominant force in UK politics, in a mirror of the last 100 years.

What sort of seat range proves fatal to coming back as a centre right force, rather than a pop right one?
    It's a bloody good question. I'd say the tipping point is if the Tories end up with fewer seats than the LDs. (I doubt they will btw.)

But... Anything below 150 Tory seats is uncharted territory, so we really don't know what the impact will be. It could be that 150 seats is the start of the end, or that the Tories drop to 10 seats and still recover. We just don't know.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,207

stodge said:

stodge said:

From Deltapoll twitter
    🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Con 19% (-)
    Lab 43% (-3)
    Lib Dem 13% (+3)
    Reform 15% (-1)
    SNP 2% (-)
    Green 5% (-)
    Other 2% (+1)

Well, that's an interesting poll to a point. Much better for the LDs but if we're seeing a tactical vote shift much worse for the Conservatives.

Having a look at the More In Common data, it's fascinating to see the big Conservative leads among the two groups most likely to vote - the 65-74 group has the Conservatives ahead 38-25 and among those aged 75+ 43-25. Those two Conservative blocs combined are 48% of the total Conservative vote but these are the two age groups most likely to turn out (75-80% certain to vote) so what may hold up the Conservative vote are the old and the very old.

The combined Conservative VI among those aged 65+ on MiC is 40.3%, R&W has 25% for its 65+ sub sample.

There's your difference.
    Been telling you - door-knocking shows the oldies and crumblies are still backing Team Tories.
    Not to the extent they did in 2019 and we only have your anecdotal evidence of what is going on in your part of the world.

In 2019, the over 65s went 64% Conservative, 17% Labour - if it's now 40.5% Conservative, 25% Labour that's a 16% swing which isn't too shabby. Among younger age groups the swing will be much larger.

We also have plenty of evidence older voters back Reform so some of your erstwhile Tories (whatever they may tell you on the doorstep) might support Farage.
    Are you subsampling there though?
    Yes of course but so is @MarqueeMark. Nobody polls 10,000 or 50,000 people over 65 so we don't really know what is going to happen. The 64-17 was the split from 2019 but I quoted the More In Common sub sample which is much better for the Conservatives than the Redfield & Wilton more to try to identify the difference between one polling the Conservatives at 18% and the other having them at 25%.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Nunu5 said:

From Deltapoll twitter
    🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Con 19% (-)
    Lab 43% (-3)
    Lib Dem 13% (+3)
    Reform 15% (-1)
    SNP 2% (-)
    Green 5% (-)
    Other 2% (+1)

They will, but why would that be the end of the psychodrama. The argument post July 4th will continue to be whether they needed to go harder on every issue - Brexit, Immigration, whatever - or go softer.

Every indication is the Members will believe they should have gone harder, but not all of them will, so the drama will continue.
    If the Tories suffer an ELE it won't be a psychodrama that matters one jot to anyone else anymore.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,234
    DougSeal said:

A positive story surrounding royals and horses to balance the unfortunate news about Anne.
    Picture I saw on the web somewhere, pictured the Princess Royal wearing a rather nice, and actual, hat. Nice light yet deep shade of blue (some good news for Rishi?) with a very angular design that was well-designed.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,169
    kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Nunu5 said:

From Deltapoll twitter
    🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Con 19% (-)
    Lab 43% (-3)
    Lib Dem 13% (+3)
    Reform 15% (-1)
    SNP 2% (-)
    Green 5% (-)
    Other 2% (+1)

They didn't need to go harder. They needed to go more competently.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,573

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The long day closes

Le Fisher at Carnac Plage?
    Very good but no

Le Fisher at Quiberon just down the way. I presume it is a chain then? If you identified the brand but not the place? It’s lush
    Ah! I hadn't actually realised there was more than one of them. The one at Carnac Plage is similarly swish and scene-y. Enjoy your trip!
    I had no idea southern Brittany is so…. Posh. Its like a kind of Atlantic Côte d’Azur but it’s better because its not full of retired British tampon ad executives (naming no names - but I mean @roger aka rogerdamus. Roger. That’s who I mean. Roger. But I’m staying shtum I won’t reveal that I mean roger)

Also, wtf is wrong with the frogs. I am increasingly obsessed with the disjunct between their cushy lives and their political anger. I’m in morbihan. I just checked the euro elex results here

Yep. Bardella won. Ok you could argue that’s a family vote as the le pens are from morbihan but much of Brittany went for le pen as indeed did much of France

What’s their problem? Do they want even nicer roundabouts?

It’s not like it’s all massively expensive either. It isn’t. 🤷🏼‍♂️

It is something of a mystery. The place just drips ‘quality of life’. The climate is, largely lovely, the towns pristine, the roads out of this world. Hmm.
    I was in another small Breton town today and the high street was busy (well, would have been busy if it wasn't shut for Monday), clean and full of nice shops and stuff. I guess if you actually fight back against creeping corporatisation then you get to keep your nice independent boulangeries and bouchers.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

I’d hate to intrude, but if ballot boxes don’t close till 10pm, that day can’t be over at 7.
    It is nine and a bit days until polling day. That is a matter of fact, not debate. BigG said twelve days, which is LauraK levels of innumeracy.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

1 day from 8am is 8am tomorrow, if we're going full 24 hour units, but today is a day which hasn't happened yet then too so if we're counting discrete days and not hours, then today ought to be counted.

So if we are going off discrete days the question becomes whether you round up, or round down, essentially.

Many years ago I worked in a business which very strictly operated on this principle for dating products. If a product was dated 8 days from now, then that would be a week today. Why? Because today always has to be counted was the rule. If it was dating products for 2 days, that would be today and tomorrow. If something was dated 1 day then that means by close of business today.

The context was the statement, "12 days until PM Starmer."

You may have whatever strange definitions you want for other contexts, but in that context, we are effectively counting the gaps between days, because we are counting a duration of time from one point, "now" to a specific point, "then", which will be some time relatively early on July 5th - not until the end of July 5th.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Nunu5 said:

From Deltapoll twitter
    🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Con 19% (-)
    Lab 43% (-3)
    Lib Dem 13% (+3)
    Reform 15% (-1)
    SNP 2% (-)
    Green 5% (-)
    Other 2% (+1)

If the Tories suffer an ELE it won't be a psychodrama that matters one jot to anyone else anymore.
    It will matter just in a different way.

Like the Labour Party's psychodrama and ongoing divisions over who would control the NEC etc under Corbyn.

The cycle will eventually turn and when the Tories start caring more about the voters than themselves once more, they might be fit for office again. Hopefully that's before its become clear Labour needs to be turfed out.
  • Options

Nunu5 said:

From Deltapoll twitter
    🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Con 19% (-)
    Lab 43% (-3)
    Lib Dem 13% (+3)
    Reform 15% (-1)
    SNP 2% (-)
    Green 5% (-)
    Other 2% (+1)

Not sure there is any meaningful answer to your question, Moon, but it will be a dramatic turn of events if they are no longer the Official Opposition.
  • Options
    johntjohnt Posts: 148

And Tories wonder why they are so widely despised. They have nothing but childish insults. It’s pathetic to see.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,550

Putting up a blue one implies one is a penis! Some of the Cowbridge farmers' fields have replaced their Alun Cairns placards with barely readable Reform signs. Is that what Farage's bunch call themselves? The signs are almost illegible. Perhaps they were drawn with crayons.
    When I was up in Norfolk the other week there were rather a lot of party placards dotted about, including some Reform ones.

One of those had been crayoned. Some wag had given the candidate's portrait a Hitler moustache. Sometimes the old jokes are best.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

Redfield and Wilton

Joint-highest Reform %.

Labour 42% (–)
    Reform UK 19% (–)
    Conservative 18% (–)
    Lib Dem 12% (+1)
    Green 6% (+1)
    SNP 3% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

BAXTERED

LAB 501
    LIB DEMS 60
    CONS 38
    REFUK 5
    GRN 2

Of course but I don't think you will find either conspiracy theorists or older members of Clacton bowls club are listening to the finer points.
    Sure, but it is not a fine point, it's defending him on the basis of describing something as a pretext, even though using that word undermines the very criticism he is trying to make!

A professional politician of such long standing surely knows that if you combine two points together you can hardly moan if people assosciate them. It's like he's saying "A is a false reason for B. And that is why C was so wrong to do A, it was outrageous what C was doing, A was a disgarceful thing to do. What? No, I'm not justifying B, I told you I totally believe A is a false reason. But let me tell you more about how bad A is"
  • Options
    edited June 24

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

You may have whatever strange definitions you want for other contexts, but in that context, we are effectively counting the gaps between days, because we are counting a duration of time from one point, "now" to a specific point, "then", which will be some time relatively early on July 5th - not until the end of July 5th.
    Today is a day.

Tomorrow is a day.

Today and tomorrow is two days.

The election is on day eleven, but the results come out overnight and in day 12 we will have PM Starmer.

If you want to count the gaps, then you can count the nights. 11 more nights. But like with a holiday you can get 5 days but 4 nights.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Picture I saw on the web somewhere, pictured the Princess Royal wearing a rather nice, and actual, hat. Nice light yet deep shade of blue (some good news for Rishi?) with a very angular design that was well-designed.
    What - in hospital? She got kicked in the head by a horse earlier. She's laid up in the Bristol Infirmary.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,200

Dear Casino,

Remember "Strong and Stable"? I regret to inform you the horse has bolted.
  • Options
    edited June 24

There's a hell of a lot of penis-free households around the ultra-safe seat of North Dorset then.

Still yet to see an election poster or sign for anyone but the LDs, bizarrely.
  • Options
    MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 808
    edited June 24

Redfield and Wilton

Joint-highest Reform %.

Labour 42% (–)
    Reform UK 19% (–)
    Conservative 18% (–)
    Lib Dem 12% (+1)
    Green 6% (+1)
    SNP 3% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

BAXTERED

LAB 501
    LIB DEMS 60
    CONS 38
    REFUK 5
    GRN 2

This is of course the real reason why we both entered into union with them in the first place and why we pay a large amount of tribute to maintain the Union. Eliminates the possibility of a hostile power getting a hold on the Island.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,608
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

10 changes for Spain.
    had a little bet on bet365 on albania getting most corners at 5/1 for this reason
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

The word "day" in English, has different meanings depending on context. The context being used means we count today if you say, "days before," in which case you don't count the target day, and you don't count today if you say, "days until," in which case you do count the target day.

If you want some construction where you count both today, and the future day in question, then you would have a different formulation that referred to activity on those days, target than time between them, e.g., there are x days remaining in the election campaign, or y days of product shelf-life remaining.

Then the context is different, and so the meaning of days is also subtly different.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

DougSeal said:

Nunu5 said:

From Deltapoll twitter
    🚨New Voting Intention🚨
    Con 19% (-)
    Lab 43% (-3)
    Lib Dem 13% (+3)
    Reform 15% (-1)
    SNP 2% (-)
    Green 5% (-)
    Other 2% (+1)

Essentially the Tories are going be offering a bit of peripheral entertainment, the next five years. After that depends on them.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Counting is an ancient problem, and is mostly about exclusive and inclusive counting, and a bit of a puzzle for lawyers too.

Anciently, the tradition 'three days' from death to resurrection of Jesus is odd; death on Friday afternoon. Resurrected by early Sunday morning, is a day and a half to us.

Is a school half term (Mon-Fri) really 5 days, or is it really the Friday 3.30 to 8 am Monday, 10 days later?
    Indeed. Counting is a modern problem too, if you are Laura K or Big G.
  • Options
    Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 57
    edited June 24
    johnt said:

And Tories wonder why they are so widely despised. They have nothing but childish insults. It’s pathetic to see.
    Now now.

Remarkable as it sounds, Casino is likely to be in the sane wing of the tories, post-defeat.

We need to encourage him to stick around in the party.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

🔴 LAB 41% (+2)
    🔵 CON 25% (-)
    🟠 LIB DEM 10% (-1)
    🟣 REF UK 15% (+1)
    🟢 GRN 5% (-)
    🟡 SNP 2%(-1)

Today is a day.

Tomorrow is a day.

Today and tomorrow is two days.

The election is on day eleven, but the results come out overnight and in day 12 we will have PM Starmer.

If you want to count the gaps, then you can count the nights. 11 more nights. But like with a holiday you can get 5 days but 4 nights.
    By the time this agument is over it will be 10 11 9 days about a week to go.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,004

I just got an email from Imelda Staunton (seriously).

If the (late) Queen is supporting Labour, the Tories really are in trouble.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,207
    It's been a while since I've been politically active.

Polling Day was not a day for campaigning or trying to change minds. It was all about checking who had voted and ensuring the vote you had identified as yours was going out and that was all you did from 6am to 9.30pm or later.

Delivering targeted "Good Morning" leaflets to telling to knocking up (ooer) was simply about getting the vote out.

We even worked with other parties to ensure all got the record of who had voted.

It's probably all different now.