Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Battle of Tewkesbury – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,841
edited June 20 in General
imageThe Battle of Tewkesbury – politicalbetting.com

On the 4th May 1471 the Yorkist forces of Edward IV defeated the Lancastrian Army of Edward, Prince of Westminster in one of the most decisive battles of the Wars Of The Roses.   Although slightly outnumbered, the success of the White Rose gang was no great surprise and it is likely winning punters got little better than evens on their wagers.   Shrewd punters on the forthcoming election battle of Tewkesbury on July 4th 2024 may however do slightly better, and I shall explain why.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,349
    First like Starmer by a long margin
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,356
    Second!
  • Options
    Breaking - the mystery second Tory better is the wife of the Tory campaigns director!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,166
    Tory candidate being looked into over election betting married to party's campaign director

The BBC can reveal this morning that the Conservative candidate being looked into by the Gambling Commission over a bet relating to the timing of the general election is married to the party’s Director of Campaigns.

Laura Saunders, the party’s candidate in Bristol North West, has worked for the Tories since 2015.

It is not known when the bet was placed or for how much money.

She is married to Tony Lee, who is the Conservative Party’s Director of Campaigns.

Saunders has been approached for comment by the BBC and has not replied.

A Conservative Party spokesman told the BBC: “We have been contacted by the Gambling Commission about a small number of individuals. As the Gambling Commission is an independent body, it wouldn’t be proper to comment further, until any process is concluded.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/cd119p9een9t
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,715
    edited June 20
    Again I am taking the Fifth.

Good morning everyone, and thanks for the header.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 51,118
    The battle of Stansted:

Now the morons are actually throwing paint on planes

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/06/20/just-stop-oil-targets-taylor-swift-airfield/

Hope they realise that’s a million or two in damage they’ve caused there, and a few weeks they won’t be able to use the plane. Can’t wait for the civil lawsuit.
  • Options
    Watch the cricket from last night I see Phil Salt peppered the West Indian boundary so many times.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,800
    IanB2 said:

Breaking - the mystery second Tory better is the wife of the Tory campaigns director!

What the f is wrong with these people - they can’t be winning a life changing amount of money so why risk the hassle which anyone with a brain cell would understand would come if found out.

The only thing I can think of is that they are a bit needy and wanted to show people they know the winning betting slip so they can demonstrate their amazing insight and knowledge as it cannot be the money.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,425
    Kate Forbes talking pure bollocks on BBC
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,429

Watch the cricket from last night I see Phil Salt peppered the West Indian boundary so many times.

On topic, feels like he's starting to cut the mustard.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,171
    FPT: I must wonder, is there a Chinese lab working on fungi?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,776

There was a Green lady on earlier doing the same.
    Nick Robbo got quite shirty.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Oh dear, that makes it an order of magnitude worse.

I was prepared to believe some Tory candidates would have randomly bet on this rather improbable date but this news if true stretches the long arm of coincidence way beyond the point of dislocation.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,531
    Thanks PtP.

Bet placed on LibDems.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 287

Tory candidate being looked into over election betting married to party's campaign director

The BBC can reveal this morning that the Conservative candidate being looked into by the Gambling Commission over a bet relating to the timing of the general election is married to the party’s Director of Campaigns.

Laura Saunders, the party’s candidate in Bristol North West, has worked for the Tories since 2015.

She is married to Tony Lee, who is the Conservative Party’s Director of Campaigns.

A Conservative Party spokesman told the BBC: “We have been contacted by the Gambling Commission about a small number of individuals. As the Gambling Commission is an independent body, it wouldn’t be proper to comment further, until any process is concluded.”

This party must be destroyed. (And I say that as someone who voted for them in 2010, 2015, 2019, not 2017 May was shit).
  • Options

It would be more newsworthy if a politician wasn't.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,427

West Indies mustered no defence.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 287
    IanB2 said:

Mrs Sunak?
  • Options
    AugustusCarp2AugustusCarp2 Posts: 213
    IanB2 said:

It's like the good old days of Tory Sleaze. Things like this cut through far more than witterings about comparative tax thresholds.

(And PtP moved to Gloucestershire ... well I never! Always had him down as Metropolitan Elite personified. Very interesting observations from him, as always.)
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,425

It would be more newsworthy if a politician wasn't.
    Well yes, but she is meant to be the Head Haggis but one, a chieftain of finance, yet what she was saying had little to connect it to the world she lives in.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,768

A seasoned player, no doubt.
    Good to get a flavour of his talents.
  • Options
    EPG said:

What's the sauce of that allegation?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,329

EPG said:

What's the sauce of that allegation?
    Obviously you didn't watch it or you wouldn't have asked. If you just watch it on ketchup, you'll see. Mayo not ask such silly questions next time.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,399
    edited June 20
    Edit - too slow on a pun.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,629

(And PtP moved to Gloucestershire ... well I never! Always had him down as Metropolitan Elite personified. Very interesting observations from him, as always.)

He has long maintained a country estate even while residing in the smoke...
  • Options
    boulay said:

IanB2 said:

What the f is wrong with these people - they can’t be winning a life changing amount of money so why risk the hassle which anyone with a brain cell would understand would come if found out.

The only thing I can think of is that they are a bit needy and wanted to show people they know the winning betting slip so they can demonstrate their amazing insight and knowledge as it cannot be the money.
    A yearning for unearned money runs deep through Conservative politicians.

Together with an attitude that laws, regulations, ethics are for the 'little people'.

They really should have employed someone like Cyclefree to explain issues such as insider trading and fraud.

In addition to a H&S manager to maintain order in Downing Street and CCHQ during covid.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,399
    Roger said:

Was HYUFD the only Tory who didn't know the election date in advance?
    Maybe they have clubbed together, made a large sum, and are all moving to South America after the election?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,966
    Political betting (in small letters) is the main item on the news. I can't remember that being the case before.
  • Options
    johntjohnt Posts: 140
    I have had a WhatsApp this morning claiming that conservative head office is planning to call candidates and tell them their seats are lost and resources are being pulled back to try and save ‘safe’ seats. Is anyone else hearing this? I guess given today’s news we should just look for betting patterns. Bets on seemingly unlikely Tory losses may be coming from HQ and may be a sign it is happening.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,000

Great header Peter, these are the kinds of insights that PB excels at. My only local insight is that Labour's candidate Vicky Foxcroft is going to win Lewisham North. You heard it here first!

I actually got a flyer from the scarlet pimpernel Vicky Foxcroft yesterday. The only sight or sound anyone gets of her every 5 years. Quite the contrast with her predecessor Joan Ruddock who was at every community event going and can still be seen out and about.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Political betting (in small letters) is the main item on the news. I can't remember that being the case before.

Tory corruption is the main item...
  • Options
    biggles said:

Roger said:

Maybe they have clubbed together, made a large sum, and are all moving to South America after the election?
    Well I can imagine they are getting a Chile reception in some Tory circles right now.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

I was prepared to believe some Tory candidates would have randomly bet on this rather improbable date but this news if true stretches the long arm of coincidence way beyond the point of dislocation.
    Oh crap.

Now we’re dealing not with people who might have heard a nudge or a rumour, but who actually had a role in influencing the decision, which would be the criminal standard.

Looks like we might end up seeing CCHQ minutes read out at the magistrates’ court, and we’ll find out the timing of the decision for 4th July.
  • Options
    johnt said:

I have had a WhatsApp this morning claiming that conservative head office is planning to call candidates and tell them their seats are lost and resources are being pulled back to try and save ‘safe’ seats. Is anyone else hearing this? I guess given today’s news we should just look for betting patterns. Bets on seemingly unlikely Tory losses may be coming from HQ and may be a sign it is happening.

I know one of those seats that's been earmarked as savable. Does anyone know the other?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,371
    Betting post: If a serious wipeout occurs - Tories down to 60 or less, then the pool of MPs to be next Tory leader is tiny. Of those who may survive Tugendhat, Barclay and possibly Williamson are (relatively) noteworthy cheeses. Of those, Mr Hat (and Farage) are too short, but Barclay and Williamson are both long odds.

Barclay has no rivals in international boring competitions but could he also be leader of the post corn law rump, the valiant 50 or so?

These are just Throwaway remarks, suitable for Gold Cup day.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Oh crap.

Now we’re dealing not with people who might have heard a nudge or a rumour, but who actually had a role in influencing the decision, which would be the criminal standard.

Looks like we might end up seeing CCHQ minutes read out at the magistrates’ court, and we’ll find out the timing of the decision for 4th July.
    A guilty plea would avoid that, no?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Oh crap.

"So, you're saying we can't win the next election, but Sid has a budgie which can predict the winners in horse racing?"
  • Options
    Farooq said:

johnt said:

I know one of those seats that's been earmarked as savable. Does anyone know the other?
    South Holland and the Deepings is probably the savable seat.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,180
    Great header.

I am reminded that PtP and I had a conversation about whether Tewkesbury would be a LibDem target back in 2019:

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/2159977#Comment_2159977
  • Options
    johnt said:

I guess it depends where your WhatsApp has come from. If, for example, it was coming from Reform HQ expecting it to be disseminated on discussion sites and social media then I expect other reform people are hearing this.

If the WhatsApp you received is from Tory HQ then it’s worth bearing in mind. So probably more enlightening if you old us the source of the WhatsApp no?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,012
    Well well well. The Tory party is utterly toxic.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,550
    Great betting header to start the day!!!

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,371
    Farooq said:

johnt said:

A renewed Battle of Maldon, last fought in 991?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,855

boulay said:

IanB2 said:

Together with an attitude that laws, regulations, ethics are for the 'little people'.

They really should have employed someone like Cyclefree to explain issues such as insider trading and fraud.

In addition to a H&S manager to maintain order in Downing Street and CCHQ during covid.
    More than that: there are people who have an almost Trumpian desire for the win. They want to win, and ideally want to be seen to win. Winning is more important than honesty or propriety. Even when the 'win' is essentially meaningless.
  • Options
    IF Reform do maintain their streak (I don't think they will, but let's speculate) and the conservatives are reduced to below 100 seats, we've all talked about what then likely happens with a Tory-Reform reverse takeover. Seems pretty likely. But what then happens with the never-Farage Tories?

Let's also say the Lib Dems do spectacularly well and have 45 to 50 seats.

We hit a fork in the road where party realignments potentially mean HM opposition is up for grabs. Do those one nation Tories (and there are still a few quiet remainers in there) look to join the Lib Dems, where they could depending on numbers make up a combined opposition? Would the Lib Dems take them? Or do they do what the GOP moderates did and reconcile themselves to denying the evidence of their eyes and ears and loving Nigel Farage?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,569
    SCOTLAND KLAXON
    New Scotland Only Westminster poll, Savanta 14-18 Jun (changes vs 24-28 May):

Lab ~ 38% (+1)
    SNP ~ 33% (nc)
    Con ~ 15% (-2)
    LD ~ 7% (nc)
    https://x.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1803691113330377038?s=19
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 486

boulay said:

IanB2 said:

Like Keith Best and his multi application for BT shares

He seems to have made the unlikely transition from Tory MP to decent bloke in the years since

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Best
  • Options
    Interesting article PtP. I don't bet myself but in the same vein William Hill apparently have the LDs at 66/1 in North Dorset with Labour at 9/1, Tories 1/16 with Bet365.

Similar to Tewksbury, Labour aren't trying here - non-local candidate. Also Dorset Council fell to the LDs in the locals.

Tory incumbent Simon Hoare is clearly the favourite but Reform have a candidate likely to peel off a sizeable chunk of hard right Tory support.

I'd say it's an 80% Con, 20% LD chance. DYOR
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Farooq said:

johnt said:

They'll do fine in outer SE London. Bromley, Bexley etc. Their new heartland.

Essentially the Tories will do relatively well in places with 1930s housing and large paved front drives.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Farooq said:

johnt said:

Interesting mix of names of candidates there.
    Baker sounds English, Hayes Irish, Hilliar and Le Sage maybe French, and Swainson looks very Nordic. Not sure about Braginton.
    Melting pot.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,370
    Nunu5 said:

This party must be destroyed. (And I say that as someone who voted for them in 2010, 2015, 2019, not 2017 May was shit).
    Maybe they'll give you first dibs next time?
  • Options
    edited June 20
    "Labour could become a ‘forever government’, warns Gove

If Labour win a big majority on July 4 the party could “rig the system” to create a “forever government”, Michael Gove has claimed. "

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/06/20/general-election-latest-news-sunak-starmer-farage/
  • Options
    CCHQ yesterday told candidates it is redirecting campaign resources away from many Tory-held seats toward ultra-safe seats *

* This will be seen as a tacit admission the Tories are conceding the election and are now trying to avoid wipeout *

https://x.com/alexwickham/status/1803699718507123176

It seems safe to say it is going to be a Labour victory.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,095
    IanB2 said:

Someone is actually directing the Tory campaign? ?
  • Options
    edited June 20
    TimS said:

IF Reform do maintain their streak (I don't think they will, but let's speculate) and the conservatives are reduced to below 100 seats, we've all talked about what then likely happens with a Tory-Reform reverse takeover. Seems pretty likely. But what then happens with the never-Farage Tories?

We hit a fork in the road where party realignments potentially mean HM opposition is up for grabs. Do those one nation Tories (and there are still a few quiet remainers in there) look to join the Lib Dems, where they could depending on numbers make up a combined opposition? Would the Lib Dems take them? Or do they do what the GOP moderates did and reconcile themselves to denying the evidence of their eyes and ears and loving Nigel Farage?

We're seeing evidence for that already, with former Tories from Heseltine through Stewart voting LibDem and Soubry switching straight to Labour. The pro-Brexit moderate Tories will otherwise be homeless if things pan out as they currently look.

Meanwhile I begin to wonder about my own seat, which the MRPs have as a Labour gain but I was anticipating a Tory hold. The Tory candidate is able and relatively moderate whereas the Labour candidate is dire and was imposed on them by HQ. At the hustings the Tory is coming across well, but so is the Reform woman, despite some of her views, and the YouGov MRP, which builds on a local sample, gives Reform a shout. In an hour's time the relatively energetic primary campaign declares its 'people's champion' to defeat the Tories, likely to be the Labour candidate, and it will be interesting to see how that goes down.
  • Options

Great header.

I am reminded that PtP and I had a conversation about whether Tewkesbury would be a LibDem target back in 2019:

Great header.

It ticks the Lib Dem boxes:

Cathedral (well OK, abbey): check
    Orchards, Vineyards or Cattle: check
    Rugby clubs: check
    Steep hills: sort of...in the distance
    Fuck off great big yellow diamond signboards: check
  • Options
    Did we do the Ashcroft poll last night?
    Lab 43
    Con 18
    Ref 18
    https://lordashcroftpolls.com/
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    I think he's being overly pessimistic. I think given a bit of time, some patient rebuilding, an apology for past mistakes, better leadership, and disillusionment with a Labour government, it's entirely possible that we could one day see the Lib Dems return.
  • Options
    johntjohnt Posts: 140
    boulay said:

johnt said:

I guess it depends where your WhatsApp has come from. If, for example, it was coming from Reform HQ expecting it to be disseminated on discussion sites and social media then I expect other reform people are hearing this.

If the WhatsApp you received is from Tory HQ then it’s worth bearing in mind. So probably more enlightening if you old us the source of the WhatsApp no?
    Not sure where it comes from will help, but the claim was it is being reported by Michael Crick. So just wondered if others had seen it. I cannot find an independent verification at this stage.
  • Options
    SteveSSteveS Posts: 109
    Top tip PtP. Have gone either way on this one.

Would repay the favour if there was any value in my local constituency but there’s not
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,126
    Looking again at that Torygraph front page, I have to wonder are the Tories approaching the Roche limit where the gravitational pull of Farage on their voters becomes to much and they get torn apart?
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,768
    boulay said:

IanB2 said:

Be fair, maybe the Tory MP wasn't kooking forward to claiming Jobseekers Allowance in a couple of weeks time? 😉
  • Options

Lab 43
    Con 18
    Ref 18

Doesn't count, not a member of the BPC.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,331
    On topic: I guess the probable Labour overstatement in the MRPs etc is down to how well they scored in 2019. They picked up the anti-Tory vote almost everywhere, with a relatively close vote to the Tories nationally. Of course, the extra was thinly-spread and of no electoral use, but as a starting point for this year, it puts them ahead of the LibDems in many “Tory” areas.

It’s driving through into tactical voting guides too (understandably enough): South Shropshire had Lab and LibDems neck and neck in 2019, but had a two-term LD incumbent 1997-2005 who’s standing again now, and close seconds in 05 and 10. Instinctively, it *feels* more LibDemmy. But the tactical voting guides all say Lab or too close to call.

I suspect the same would be true in North Shropshire, if the LD by-election victory (by a locally-active, now frontbench MP) hadn’t trumped 2019
  • Options
    johnt said:

boulay said:

johnt said:

Not sure where it comes from will help, but the claim was it is being reported by Michael Crick. So just wondered if others had seen it. I cannot find an independent verification at this stage.
    Where things come from can be vital, if Putin claims something you will trust its veracity one way, if Mary Berry says something you will know it’s propaganda.

On the actual point though, it would be crazy if the Tories weren’t pulling all resources from hopeless seats.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Labour could become a ‘forever government’, warns Gove

If Labour win a big majority on July 4 the party could “rig the system” to create a “forever government”, Michael Gove has claimed. "

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/06/20/general-election-latest-news-sunak-starmer-farage/

He should have been saying that to his fellow Conservative politicians from 2019 onwards instead of former Conservative voters now.

But Conservative politicians seem to think it is only the 'little people' who have obligations and responsibilities.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,553
    boulay said:

biggles said:

Roger said:

Well I can imagine they are getting a Chile reception in some Tory circles right now.
    It should ginger up the race a little more
  • Options

boulay said:

IanB2 said:

Be fair, maybe the Tory MP wasn't kooking forward to claiming Jobseekers Allowance in a couple of weeks time? 😉
    Not even a Tory MP about to have to find a new career.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,418

dixiedean said:

Disgusted with these juvenile sauce puns. I'm logging off.
    Tartare for now.

And hey pesto! He's gone.
    Whoosh! too sure - soz.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,418
    johnt said:

boulay said:

johnt said:

Alex Wickham has the same story;

* EXCLUSIVE: CCHQ yesterday told candidates it is redirecting campaign resources away from many Tory-held seats toward ultra-safe seats *

* This will be seen as a tacit admission the Tories are conceding the election and are now trying to avoid wipeout *

— CCHQ on Wednesday told Tory candidates in several seats *who are defending majorities of over 10,000* that their funds and favorable access to party activists was being withdrawn

— resources are being moved to other seats with larger majorities

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1803699718507123176

Too little, too late?
  • Options
    TimS said:

Great header.

Great header.

It just needs a WH Smiths with a wooden sign....
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,274

boulay said:

IanB2 said:

Like Keith Best and his multi application for BT shares

He seems to have made the unlikely transition from Tory MP to decent bloke in the years since

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Best
    Brings back memories - not least the thought at the time "wtf did he do that for, such a small sum which would get caught out?!?" - just as others are commenting here re the election date bets.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Great header.

Great header.

As someone who's ridden the Hell of the North Cotswolds - which starts in Winchcombe - a couple of times I can vouch that there are definitely some steep hills.
  • Options
    DopermeanDopermean Posts: 63
    Surely the health warning on betting based on Lib Dem leaflets is in even bigger than MRPs :)?
    In my area the Lib Dems have been saying it's not a Labour target, but the Labour office was buzzing on a Saturday morning while their office was closed. May not be the same in Tewkesbury of course.
  • Options
    Torridge and Tavistock (scene of the rishi sheep feeding debacle last week) is knife edge. Oddschecker has con 1/3 lab 9/4 which looks too short/long. But big Geoff Cox (for it is he) has strong incumbency energy.
  • Options

Interesting article PtP. I don't bet myself but in the same vein William Hill apparently have the LDs at 66/1 in North Dorset with Labour at 9/1, Tories 1/16 with Bet365.

Similar to Tewksbury, Labour aren't trying here - non-local candidate. Also Dorset Council fell to the LDs in the locals.

Tory incumbent Simon Hoare is clearly the favourite but Reform have a candidate likely to peel off a sizeable chunk of hard right Tory support.

I'd say it's an 80% Con, 20% LD chance. DYOR

This is a very good tip and if Hills hadn't blocked me then I'd be putting some money on that.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,331

IanB2 said:

Someone is actually directing the Tory campaign? ?
    Funny they bet they n the date, not the result!!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,274
    boulay said:

johnt said:

boulay said:

johnt said:

Where things come from can be vital, if Putin claims something you will trust its veracity one way, if Mary Berry says something you will know it’s propaganda.

On the actual point though, it would be crazy if the Tories weren’t pulling all resources from hopeless seats.
    Mary Berry, the domestic science lady?!?
  • Options

Lab 43
    Con 18
    Ref 18

Wasn't aware of that! Cheers
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,446
    TimS said:

Great header.

Great header.

Great checklist - pretty much explains the liberal anomaly of NE Fife. Liberalism survives in those parts of the country left broadly unchanged by the industrial revolution.
  • Options

boulay said:

IanB2 said:

Clearly not very bright, a cash bet on the high street and at worse they'd have been looking at CCTV, a bit more care and they'd have spread it over a few shops.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,776
    The Tory campaign - and party - has gone a bit Arrested Development.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwQW3KW3DCc
  • Options

TimS said:

Great header.

Great header.

As someone who's ridden the Hell of the North Cotswolds - which starts in Winchcombe - a couple of times I can vouch that there are definitely some steep hills.
    It’s much nicer being in a glider, soaring up and down the ridge line in a NW breeze. You can go from Broadway all the way down to Bath.

https://www.winchcombewelcomeswalkers.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Cotswolds-Map.jpg
  • Options

Lab 43
    Con 18
    Ref 18

I mean the good Lord adheres to all the BPC disclosure rules though.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,715
    FPT:
    Sandpit said:

The battle of Stansted:

Now the morons are actually throwing paint on planes

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/06/20/just-stop-oil-targets-taylor-swift-airfield/

Hope they realise that’s a million or two in damage they’ve caused there, and a few weeks they won’t be able to use the plane. Can’t wait for the civil lawsuit.

Have there been any civil cases taken out in such circumstances?

I would like to see them, but I do not recall any examples.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,452
    Dopermean said:

boulay said:

IanB2 said:

Clearly not very bright, a cash bet on the high street and at worse they'd have been looking at CCTV, a bit more care and they'd have spread it over a few shops.
    People do it all the time. People on big salaries get caught doing minor scams - because they think they can get away with it.

It’s looking now as if Reform are moving into second place, in voting intentions.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,705
    edited June 20
    The Lib Dems have flattered to deceive at every general election in my memory, but if they were to win Tewkesbury then this election would break that sequence.

I think the Reform surge in the polling indicates a rootless electorate, willing to be persuaded to vote for any one of a range of parties, but not yet particularly convinced by any.

I expect Labour to poll well north of 10% here, despite not trying, and for the Tory to be saved as a consequence.

The incumbent Tory, Laurence Robertson, has a part-time job on the Betting and Gaming Council, so, one never knows, he might be a lurker here.
  • Options

Lab 43
    Con 18
    Ref 18

I mean the good Lord adheres to all the BPC disclosure rules though.
    Sample size 5187 adults -,does he actually have the machinery to do that or is he just rebadging the output of others?
  • Options

TimS said:

Great header.

Great header.

Great checklist - pretty much explains the liberal anomaly of NE Fife. Liberalism survives in those parts of the country left broadly unchanged by the industrial revolution.
    And before that, perhaps equally importantly, untouched by the open field system and then enclosure. Regions, like Western France with its Macron-voting bocage, that never had lord-serf social relations.

Explains why unindustrialised areas of the East Midlands and Eastern England vote Reform rather than Lib Dem.

And dates back further still to the Danelaw vs the Anglo Saxon kingdoms.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,523
    There is an excellent re enactment of the battle of Tewkesbury every July I used to go to when I lived in Herefordshire which re enactors from around the world took part in.

On the political battle of Tewkesbury I expect a Tory hold. The opposition vote will be split between Labour and LD and Tewkesbury voted Leave unlikely Cheltenham and some other Cotswold seats that voted Remain and are better prospects for the yellows
  • Options
    edited June 20
    Sandpit said:

TimS said:

Great header.

Great header.

It’s much nicer being in a glider, soaring up and down the ridge line in a NW breeze. You can go from Broadway all the way down to Bath.

https://www.winchcombewelcomeswalkers.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Cotswolds-Map.jpg
    I've been in a glider a few times, although not in that area. Very relaxing.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TimS said:

We're seeing evidence for that already, with former Tories from Heseltine through Stewart voting LibDem and Soubry switching straight to Labour. The pro-Brexit moderate Tories will otherwise be homeless if things pan out as they currently look.

Meanwhile I begin to wonder about my own seat, which the MRPs have as a Labour gain but I was anticipating a Tory hold. The Tory candidate is able and relatively moderate whereas the Labour candidate is dire and was imposed on them by HQ. At the hustings the Tory is coming across well, but so is the Reform woman, despite some of her views, and the YouGov MRP, which builds on a local sample, gives Reform a shout. In an hour's time the relatively energetic primary campaign declares its 'people's champion' to defeat the Tories, likely to be the Labour candidate, and it will be interesting to see how that goes down.
    Lib Dems would be happier displacing the moderate Conservatives on the centre-right than pretending they're centre/centre-left.
    Then if PR comes in they can form a "centre-right" coalition LD/Con/Reform as per rest of Europe.