Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

By 32% to 26% Brits think Ed Davey would be a better PM than Rishi Sunak – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,249
    Andy_JS said:

MRP: Tories hold Hemel Hempstead by 40% to 39% where a 13.4% swing is required by Lab.

https://www.moreincommon.org.uk/general-election-2024/mrp-19-june-2024/

Penny hangs on with MiC, and the IoW seats are entertainingly knife edge

I refer you both to the morning thread.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,071

Penny hangs on with MiC, and the IoW seats are entertainingly knife edge

I think the Greens could spring a surprise in one of the Isle of Wight seats. Maybe I should place a bet on it, if available.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,889

I was talking to a colleague from Spain. In Spain, there used to be 2 big parties, a Tory-like one and a Labour-like one. Then, there was a period of change: the rise of Podemos and Ciudadnos, etc. All was chaotic. Some years later, however, and things have settled down to 2 big parties, the same as before, a Tory-like one and a Labour-like one.

I mention this because we're in a period of change, with one of our 2 big parties collapsing. Maybe it will lead to some fundamental shift in British politics, as in the 1930s. But maybe it won't. Maybe in 10 years time, we'll have Labour and the Tories as the two big parties.

There are two parties in Spain that can lead a coalition government - PP and PSOE - but the days when either could win a majority or even govern alone are probably gone. Vox on the far right and Sumar/Podemos on the far left are still important (Sumar is part of the current government), then there are the regional parties. But Spain does have a different electoral system (PR, region by region, not national) and that makes it easier for parties to appear, rise and then fall again.

Yes, the smaller parties are still important, but not on the scale they were, and some (Ciudadnos) have completely collapsed. We're back to basically a PP-led or a PSOE-led government. A few years ago, people were talking about PP disappearing altogether.

And, yes, they have PR and we don't, and that might be crucial.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 40,035
    edited June 19

🚨Our latest @Moreincommon_ @TheNewsAgents MRP is out now.

It projects a Labour majority of 162 and a historic Conservative defeat.
    🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

What are the major shifts in this version of the model?

🔴🟡 More of the marginal seats in Scotland are projected to break for Labour from the SNP.

🟠🔵The Liberal Democrats are making bigger gains from the Tories in Oxfordshire, Somerset & Surrey in particular

🔵🔴 The Tories doing a bit better in holding against Labour in some parts of the South East and Outer London. But are doing worse everywhere else than last time losing more seats to Labour in the Midlands in particular.

https://x.com/LukeTryl/status/1803442656955244861

This feels like it would be a great result for the Tories.
    Hands bitten off in Downing Street. Richi goes, but he won't care much. Tories have enough to rebuild, labour have a decent majority for (probably) two terms.
    It says a lot about where we are that if the Exit Poll is Labour Landslide 150 majority it will be Tories punching the air and breaking open the fizz.
  • Options
    edited June 19

Andy_JS said:

This morning's PO witness was an 80 year old former executive talking about things that happened in 1998. Shows why the whole inquiry should have happened a lot earlier than it has.

He'd have been younger?
    It's difficult to remember the details of meetings which took place that long ago, even for someone younger than him.
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 515
    Fieldwork for that More In Common MRP was 22nd May - 17th June

I know they weight the recent stuff more heavily but honestly, 22nd May feels like an absolute lifetime ago in relevance.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,780

Andy_JS said:

"Joel Williams
    @joelwilliams74

New Verian random sample panel poll (scores v this time last week):

Lab 39 (-2)
    Cons 21 (+1)
    Reform 13 (-2)
    LD 13 (+2)
    Green 7 (-1)
    SNP 3 (-)
    Others 4 (+1) "

https://x.com/joelwilliams74/status/1803444470672744606

KLAXON
    The Tories are up in a poll!
    KLAXON
    Yebbut... caused by a methodology change?

Now incorporates a squeeze question and some imputation for the remaining voters-to-be who have not provided a party choice.

Without that methodological change, the results would be... very similar (Lab 40, Cons 20, all others the same).

https://x.com/joelwilliams74/status/1803444473017364919
    Objection is sustained. Cancel the klaxon.

The run is unbroken.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,106
    Andy_JS said:

Example of the difference between MRPS: this new one has Gavin Williamson in a 46/46 dead heat with Labour in his new seat, whereas the previous one had him winning fairly easily by 50% to 35%.

https://www.moreincommon.org.uk/general-election-2024/mrp-19-june-2024/

This new MRP appears to me to be bollox. LDs on 24% in Chesham and Amersham, but on 50% in Henley and Thame?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,061
    kinabalu said:

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

🔴🟡 More of the marginal seats in Scotland are projected to break for Labour from the SNP.

🟠🔵The Liberal Democrats are making bigger gains from the Tories in Oxfordshire, Somerset & Surrey in particular

🔵🔴 The Tories doing a bit better in holding against Labour in some parts of the South East and Outer London. But are doing worse everywhere else than last time losing more seats to Labour in the Midlands in particular.

Hands bitten off in Downing Street. Richi goes, but he won't care much. Tories have enough to rebuild, labour have a decent majority for (probably) two terms.
    It says a lot about where we are that if the Exit Poll is Labour Landslide 150 majority it will be Tories punching the air and breaking open the fizz.
    kinabalu said:

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

I am going to laugh soooooo much if the Starmer does a TMay and goes from certain majority to a propped up coalition. V unlikely, but I will laugh a lot.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,360
    edited June 19

There's been a lot of focus on Reform, but the challenge from the Greens and Galloway's lot + independents could also throw up some unusual results. Pollsters who aren't taking account of the different parts of the Labour coalition may be overstating their support.

How are they not taking account of that? They're polling. Respondents can say WPB or Green or independent. Not that many respondents do, not compared to RefUK supporters.
    Because their weighting is blind to it. They can have the right percentage of former Labour voters in each age group but still miss other relevant demographic factors like religion, so could fail to pick up on differential swings.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,217
    MiC for Honiton and Sidmouth just isn't going to happen:
    Conservative: 38%
    Labour: 26%
    Liberal Democrat: 16%
    Green Party: 3%
    Reform UK: 13%
    Labour are not even campaigning here.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,343
    More Britons think Ed Davey would be a better PM than Rishi Sunak EICIPM?

Amongst those who hanker for a return of Its a Knockout his lead is MASSIVVVE
  • Options

kinabalu said:

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

kinabalu said:

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

I am going to laugh soooooo much if the Starmer does a TMay and goes from certain majority to a propped up coalition. V unlikely, but I will laugh a lot.
    I would understand if you laughed all weekend, at least.
  • Options

40 MINS TO THE YG MRP

Last one had Lab at their lowest (37&) for weeks

Will todays Poll have them back into low 40's?

37% was actually the lowest this year with anybody I think
    Lowest since Big Dog was in charge
    ... the slobbering dope that started the rot by continuously shitting on the mat.
  • Options

I know they weight the recent stuff more heavily but honestly, 22nd May feels like an absolute lifetime ago in relevance.

Looking at the methodology notes there does not appear to be any timing weighting https://www.moreincommon.org.uk/general-election-2024/mrp-19-june-2024/

Given that the polls have moved against both Conservatives and Labour (but with the gap staying the same) during that period this suggests a potential further seat movement from the Conservatives to Lib Dems?
  • Options
    DoubleDutchDoubleDutch Posts: 161
    That More in Common sample goes back as far as 22nd May
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,094
    kinabalu said:

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

It says a lot about where we are that if the Exit Poll says Labour Landslide 150 majority it will be Tories punching the air and breaking open the fizz.
    I always fix my eyes on the Lib Dem number. I'm going to be well conflicted on the night if after the bongs it says Labour Landslide but the Lib Dems are looking at a paltry return.

The psychology is going to be fascinating.

Hung parliament: Tories jubilant, Labour dejected, even if they're largest party
    Small Labour maj: Tories mighty relieved and coming out fighting, Labour disappointed but relieved they still have a majority
    2019 sized majority (50-90): Tories relieved, Labour thinking "fine, I'll take that"
    100-Blair: Tories resigned, "could have been worse", Labour pretty happy but hiding a secret soupcon of disappointment
    Blair+: Tories arguing among themselves, Labour punching the air
    ELE: everyone in shock, including Labour. People walking around like ghosts
  • Options

There's been a lot of focus on Reform, but the challenge from the Greens and Galloway's lot + independents could also throw up some unusual results. Pollsters who aren't taking account of the different parts of the Labour coalition may be overstating their support.

How are they not taking account of that? They're polling. Respondents can say WPB or Green or independent. Not that many respondents do, not compared to RefUK supporters.
    Because their weighting is blind to it. They can have the right percentage of former Labour voters in each age group but still miss other relevant demographic factors like religion, so could miss differential swings.
    The MRPs will be picking up on relevant demographic factors. They don't only look at age; they look at various variables. I'm not certain if they look at religion, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do.
  • Options

Looking at the methodology notes there does not appear to be any timing weighting https://www.moreincommon.org.uk/general-election-2024/mrp-19-june-2024/

Given that the polls have moved against both Conservatives and Labour (but with the gap staying the same) during that period this suggests a potential further seat movement from the Conservatives to Lib Dems?
    Still more generous to Con and less to Reform than others at that time, so we can perhaps assume a drift down from 28 to say 25, and Labour from 44 to 41. Which also means it's a decent showing for the Lib Dems.

Does increasingly look like the Tories will outperform in (outer) London. Could be their sole silver lining, perhaps along with bits of Scotland.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,495
    Farooq said:

It would appear that I now have interviews with BBC and Sky News lined up tomorrow…

Try and roll in a pb'ism into it.

Something only we'd get. Subtle.
    @RochdalePioneers if you call Boris a "fat lying sack of jizz" on TV, I will 100% vote for you.
    I think he should state that Sunak is a worse Prime Minister than Rosemary West would be.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,024
    Sorry, but I don’t think REF are on 8% given recent polling. I’m not at all convinced they’re on 19% either, but that variation between pollsters is - wild.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,636
    Pulpstar said:

@LukeTryl

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

0 for Reform? The pollsters are very very wide apart…

Apparently a lot of the fieldwork for this was done before Farage announced he was standing and before Sunak's D-Day exit, so I am not sure how much value there is in it.

That's a shockingly slow turnaround of fieldwork data this close to a GE.
    Old poll. Ignore. Next.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

LDs forecast to get only 10% in North Shropshire by this latest MRP. Looks wrong.

Just like last night's, these MRPs really don't work well with incumbency patterns or high profile candidates like Galloway and Corbyn.
  • Options

Sure. But the MRP is saying that's what the result would be without any campaigning, or ire at the local council or other factors.

So, assuming the MRP is vaguely accurate, and yet the Lib Dems end up polling much higher than Labour, then the Lib Dems would really have pulled a fast one with most of their vote being natural Labour voters convinced to vote tactically.

I've always felt that the Lib Dems actually do really well out of FPTP. There's a decent chance that, with STV, or some other PR system, and an end to tactical voting, that their share of the vote would drop to about 5%, and they'd fade away further from there.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,280
    OK. It's hard to keep up.

This is the MRP election lol! :D
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    Last one was for The Times

Telegraph usually Sevanta
  • Options

kinabalu said:

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

kinabalu said:

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

I would understand if you laughed all weekend, at least.
    I think I might chuckle all week.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    No, Savanta. I find those results improbable on those vote shares.
  • Options
    Is it? I don't remember seeing Con 53, LD 50.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,657
    Or possibly a conglomeration of recent savanta baxtered? It's Savanta anyway
  • Options

Sorry, but I don’t think REF are on 8% given recent polling. I’m not at all convinced they’re on 19% either, but that variation between pollsters is - wild.

Explained largely by the fieldwork dates.
  • Options
    edited June 19
    The Savanta MRP is entering the realms of sheer fantasy. Labour majority of 382.

Ain't gonna happen IMO.

https://archive.ph/rNqaq
  • Options
    Telegraph Savanta MRP:

“However, the Clacton seat being fought by Nigel Farage is a tight three-way split between the Tories, Labour and Reform, and some of the polling of more than 17,000 people was done before nominations closed and Farage announced his candidacy, meaning there is every chance that the Reform leader could yet win election to Parliament at the eighth time of asking.”

Another one to ignore!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I can't keep up with all these MRP polls.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,920

Fucking hell, that's isn't how the WEF works, and there's no membership.

Reform UK will reject the influence of the World Economic Forum and cancel Britain's membership of it.

https://x.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1803428288867557852

They are not high IQ.
    Hence Leon’s fascination with the phenomenon.
  • Options
    Is it? It's time stamped today 4.38pm.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 674
    Front Line News From Harpenden & Berkhamsted

Mrs Jack W hosted her ladies coffee morning today .... think SAS meets Royal Ascot with a dash of Miss Marple.

7 of Britain's finest slurping sherry, brandy .... and oh even some coffee !!

From 2019 - Con 6.. LibDem 1 ... 2024 Con 2 .. LibDem 2 .. Green 1 .. Undecided 2 (1 Not Con)

Poster Count .. Con 2 (+2) .. Lab 2 (+1 .. LibDem Epidemic Levels :angry:
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,554
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

@LukeTryl

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

Apparently a lot of the fieldwork for this was done before Farage announced he was standing and before Sunak's D-Day exit, so I am not sure how much value there is in it.

They weight more recent responses more highly, though.

Implied vote shares are:

Lab 44%
    Con 28%
    Lib Dem 11%
    Reform 8%
    Green 5%
    SNP 3%

Compared to other polls, that seems toppy for Labour, very high for the Tories and very low for Reform.

All the MRP polls are placing the Conservatives notably higher, and Reform notably lower, than the standard polls
    And there is your betting opportunity for Conservative seats (or seats lost or Lab maj or whatever). If only we could be sure which was correct!

Conservative seat bands
    0-49 9/2
    50-99 6/5
    100-149 12/5
    150-199 7/1
    https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/conservatives-seats

Today's MRP suggests 155 seats; the previous one (in a recent thread header) was 115. It looks like the betting is guided by the conventional polls that give lower Conservative forecasts.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,947

Sure. But the MRP is saying that's what the result would be without any campaigning, or ire at the local council or other factors.

So, assuming the MRP is vaguely accurate, and yet the Lib Dems end up polling much higher than Labour, then the Lib Dems would really have pulled a fast one with most of their vote being natural Labour voters convinced to vote tactically.

I've always felt that the Lib Dems actually do really well out of FPTP. There's a decent chance that, with STV, or some other PR system, and an end to tactical voting, that their share of the vote would drop to about 5%, and they'd fade away further from there.
    Oh, I think that's certainly true. Look at the share of D66 in the Netherlands if you want to see what a LibDem like party is likely to win nationally in a PR election. (Mind you, that would still be a lot more than the 11 seats they got for 12% of the vote back in 2019.)
  • Options
    Way to get rich quick: selling popcorn on election night to Labour supporters if the exit poll is Lab 550, Con 20.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,608
    GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

I can't keep up with all these MRP polls.
    stands for Minimum Reform Polling
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Yep. As others have said, fieldwork is far too long.

I’m ignoring this one.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 40,035

kinabalu said:

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

kinabalu said:

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

Let's just both have a laugh at Rees Mogg losing his seat.
  • Options
    5 mins to YG MRP

Wonder if TSE has been dressed yet?
  • Options

Because their weighting is blind to it. They can have the right percentage of former Labour voters in each age group but still miss other relevant demographic factors like religion, so could miss differential swings.
    I think YouGov is pretty granular, and when you sign up it asks you those kind of questions (including even how often you go to Church/Temple/etc). Whether they use them in the MRP is another matter altogether.
  • Options

If other countries are anything to go by the Lib Dems would probably oscillate between about 4 and 8%. That would get them roughly between 25 and 50 seats. Significantly better than now. And the main parties would no longer be getting mega majorities meaning far more likelihood of involvement in coalition. Lib Dems being reasonably coalitionable would also make them more attractive than say WPGB or Reform.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Reform UK will reject the influence of the World Economic Forum and cancel Britain's membership of it.

They are not high IQ.
    The earlier, pre-election version of the contract talked about rejecting the influence of the WEF, but it didn't have the bit about cancelling Britain's non-existent membership. They've added that recently.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,697
    @benrileysmith

🚨EXCLUSIVE🚨

Rishi Sunak is on course to become the first prime minister in history to lose his seat at an election, a new poll predicts.

MRP poll on 18k votes by Savanta/ Election Calculus puts the Tories on just **53 MPs**. Almost third to Lib Dems.

https://x.com/benrileysmith/status/1803455195382157365

Seat projections from the new MRP poll for
    @Telegraph

Labour 516
    Tories 53
    Lib Dems 50
    SNP 8
    Plaid 4
    Reform 0

This suggests the Lib Dems are in touching distance of becoming the official opposition.
  • Options
    My mistake it is indeed a Savanta MRP with headline VI 44 23
  • Options
    What’s the point of polls with fieldwork from before Farage was standing? You might as well give us some fieldwork from when Corbyn was in charge of Labour and Johnson was PM at this point.
  • Options
    PB at these times gorges on polls like some crazed drug addict . always craving the next one, the next fix
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@benrileysmith

🚨EXCLUSIVE🚨

Rishi Sunak is on course to become the first prime minister in history to lose his seat at an election, a new poll predicts.

MRP poll on 18k votes by Savanta/ Election Calculus puts the Tories on just **53 MPs**. Almost third to Lib Dems.

@Telegraph

Labour 516
    Tories 53
    Lib Dems 50
    SNP 8
    Plaid 4
    Reform 0

This suggests the Lib Dems are in touching distance of becoming the official opposition.

Do you have fieldwork dates please?

Seems critical given that More in Common went back to the day the election was called in the pouring rain.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,550
    JACK_W said:

Mrs Jack W hosted her ladies coffee morning today .... think SAS meets Royal Ascot with a dash of Miss Marple.

From 2019 - Con 6.. LibDem 1 ... 2024 Con 2 .. LibDem 2 .. Green 1 .. Undecided 2 (1 Not Con)

I think the yellows will bag that one with room to spare.
  • Options

PB at these times gorges on polls like some crazed drug addict . always craving the next one, the next fix

And then we all go cold turkey on 5th July...
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

still wouldn't do to vote for Labour or Reform in those circles !
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

@LukeTryl

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

They weight more recent responses more highly, though.

Implied vote shares are:

Lab 44%
    Con 28%
    Lib Dem 11%
    Reform 8%
    Green 5%
    SNP 3%

Compared to other polls, that seems toppy for Labour, very high for the Tories and very low for Reform.

All the MRP polls are placing the Conservatives notably higher, and Reform notably lower, than the standard polls
    And there is your betting opportunity for Conservative seats (or seats lost or Lab maj or whatever). If only we could be sure which was correct!

Conservative seat bands
    0-49 9/2
    50-99 6/5
    100-149 12/5
    150-199 7/1
    https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/conservatives-seats

Today's MRP suggests 155 seats; the previous one (in a recent thread header) was 115. It looks like the betting is guided by the conventional polls that give lower Conservative forecasts.
    I just put £50 on 150-199 Conservative seats.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,084
    Good afternoon

I appreciate that there are betting implications for every poll and analysis but for me Sky and BBC have been replaced by the Sports channel where I can watch football, cricket and even Rory imploding at the US open

The election is won by Starmer and I will await with interest the actual seat numbers on Friday 5th July but I do not intend listening to the largely nonsense promises of all the parties and in the case of Reform and the Greens in cuckoo land

I have never made a bet but for those who do I hope you all have a successful and profitable election

It is just 2 more weeks to go but lots of good sport and time in the garden with the better weather is preferred by me
  • Options

The MRPs will be picking up on relevant demographic factors. They don't only look at age; they look at various variables. I'm not certain if they look at religion, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do.
    All manner of factors if you read the methodology bit.
    But the polling is national, so the statistical mismatch with individual constituencies can be massive, irrespective of that,
  • Options
    Last week YG had

🌹 Labour 422 (+220)
    🌳 Conservatives 140 (-225)
    🔸 Lib Dems 48 (+37)
    🎗️ SNP 17 (-31)
    🌻 Plaid Cymru 2 (-2)
    🌍 Green 2 (+1)
    ➡️ Reform UK 0 (0)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

And then we all go cold turkey on 5th July...
    We've got the US Presidential elections to look forward to! And the second round of the French elections are that weekend.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,697
    @RedfieldWilton
    Starmer vs Sunak (14-17 June):

Starmer leads Sunak by at least 10% on ALL 18 leadership characteristics including:

Represents change (51% | 19%)
    Cares about people like me (44% | 20%)
    Can build a strong economy (43% | 29%)
    Can work well with foreign leaders (42% | 30%)

https://x.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1803450336713007295
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Yeah I know we shouldn't pick and choose but the More in Common fieldwork is pointlessly old
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,360
    Scott_xP said:

@benrileysmith

🚨EXCLUSIVE🚨

@Telegraph

Labour 516
    Tories 53
    Lib Dems 50
    SNP 8
    Plaid 4
    Reform 0

Sunak losing his seat and Farage failing to win Clacton seem unlikely to be part of the same scenario.
  • Options
    edited June 19
    Nigelb said:

All manner of factors if you read the methodology bit.
    But the polling is national, so the statistical mismatch with individual constituencies can be massive, irrespective of that,
    It can, and I expect Corbyn to do well, and the Greens could maybe pick up a seat or two, but I don't see support for williamglenn's contention that pollsters will be overstating Labour's support beyond a few exceptional seats.
  • Options
    "YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    34s
    Our new MRP has the Conservatives on their lowest seat tally in the party’s almost 200-year history

Labour: 425 (+223)
    Conservative: 108 (-257)
    Lib Dem: 67 (+56)
    SNP: 20 (-28)
    Reform UK: 5 (+5)
    Plaid: 4 (±0)
    Green: 2 (+1)

Implied vote share from our latest MRP

Labour: 39%
    Conservative: 22%
    Reform UK: 15%
    Lib Dem: 12%
    Green: 7%
    SNP: 3%
    Plaid Cymru: 1%
    Other: 2%"

https://x.com/YouGov/status/1803457499556618660
  • Options
    Its out

Our new MRP has the Conservatives on their lowest seat tally in the party’s almost 200-year history

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

"YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    34s

Fieldwork dates please?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,653
    Scott_xP said:

@benrileysmith

🚨EXCLUSIVE🚨

@Telegraph

Labour 516
    Tories 53
    Lib Dems 50
    SNP 8
    Plaid 4
    Reform 0

That would be a small winner but hugely annoying for my book!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 51,160
    Well the Telegraph don’t think the PM is going to keep his own seat at this rate.

Their actual front page online right now:

• Options
    Uncrossover in YG MEP

YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    1m
    Replying to
    @YouGov

Other: 2%
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,217

Its out

Anti-Tory tactical voting surge.

• Options

Telegraph Savanta MRP:

“However, the Clacton seat being fought by Nigel Farage is a tight three-way split between the Tories, Labour and Reform, and some of the polling of more than 17,000 people was done before nominations closed and Farage announced his candidacy, meaning there is every chance that the Reform leader could yet win election to Parliament at the eighth time of asking.”

Another one to ignore!

I think Farage is a cert this time- the odds also reflect this as well so not betting on it
  • Options

Uncrossover in YG MEP

YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    1m
    Replying to
    @YouGov

Other: 2%

What were the implied shares in their previous MRP?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    34s

Some may scoff at the Ref 5 (which seats - I will take a look), but this one actually feels quite plausible to me right now.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton
    Starmer vs Sunak (14-17 June):

Starmer leads Sunak by at least 10% on ALL 18 leadership characteristics including:

Represents change (51% | 19%)
    Cares about people like me (44% | 20%)
    Can build a strong economy (43% | 29%)
    Can work well with foreign leaders (42% | 30%)

https://x.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1803450336713007295

Can tie his own shoelaces, 65% to 8%.
  • Options
    edited June 19
    So Lab with 39% win 425 seats, Con+Ref with 37% combined win 113 seats. That's what division does under FPTP.
  • Options

Its out

Anti-Tory tactical voting surge.

The tactical vote is looking truly ominous for the Tories.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,803

‘They called him Boris, (Boooooooooris). And he was the fastest shagger in the west.’

Faster than Chump?

That's really sayin' something ...
  • Options

Nigelb said:

They are not high IQ.
    The earlier, pre-election version of the contract talked about rejecting the influence of the WEF, but it didn't have the bit about cancelling Britain's non-existent membership. They've added that recently.
    It’s not a contract !

If Farage promises were legally enforcible, he’d be bankrupt by now.

It’s just stupid shit designed to appeal to stupid people. (Apols to any PB RefUK voters, but that’s what it is.)
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,201
    YouGov looks pretty plausible on very first glance.

Apart from their egregious polling error in Aberdeenshire North & Moray East with the LibDems on just 3%. Tsk.
  • Options
    Yougov Ref seats:

Clacton
    Ashfield
    Great Yarmouth
    Basildon and Billericay
    Louth and Horncastle

Those feel fairly plausible to me. I would have expected Boston and Skegness too?

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

So Lab with 39% win 425 seats, Con+Ref with 37% combined win 113 seats. That's what division does under FPTP.

There are plenty of those Cons who would never get into bed with Reform, which is why they're voting Cons. And there are a certain % of Reform who would never (now) jump in with the Cons.

So apart from the fact that it's spurious bollocks, whats' your point?
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,550

Andy_JS said:

"YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    34s

Some may scoff at the Ref 5 (which seats - I will take a look), but this one actually feels quite plausible to me right now.
    The relative seat counts for Lab and LD seem more like it on this projection, certainly. A massive Labour tsunami but with the yellows sub-40, which I think we had on another recent MRP, didn't look plausible.
  • Options
    I can’t find YouGov fieldwork dates on the website
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    34s

Fieldwork dates please?
    YG MRP Islington North

Lab 41%
    Jezza 36$
  • Options
    Third time of asking, anyone have the fieldwork dates for the two latest MRP's? YouGov and Savanta-Calculus.

Feels kind of important.
  • Options

Yougov Ref seats:

Clacton
    Ashfield
    Great Yarmouth
    Basildon and Billericay
    Louth and Horncastle

Those feel fairly plausible to me. I would have expected Boston and Skegness too?

Holly Vallance wanted to be the Ref candidate in Basildon
  • Options

Yougov Ref seats:

Clacton
    Ashfield
    Great Yarmouth
    Basildon and Billericay
    Louth and Horncastle

Seeing Holden get told to do one in Baz and Ricky would partly make my night
  • Options
    Closer than it needs to be in Chingford according to the YouGov MRP (which prompts for candidate), due to the hubris of Fazia Shaheen. IDS could be value there.
  • Options
    Okay YouGov is 11-18 June

Quite fresh
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,454
    Andy_JS said:

Yup. FPTP is a beast if your side is split. But whilst it's tempting to add Ref and Con together, one has to wonder what the price would be for Reform to fold themselves into a united party. Partly in terms of policy and personnel. But also in the remaining wets deciding they can't live with that.