Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

By 32% to 26% Brits think Ed Davey would be a better PM than Rishi Sunak – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,249

Andy_JS said:

Who on earth is doing the Conservatives’ social media? It’s so completely tone deaf.

https://x.com/conservatives/status/1803364858022281700

It's as if they looked back at the Tony Blair demon eyes ads from 1997 and thought "we need to do that sort of thing again even though it didn't work".
    Demon eyes was bad. But it became Iconic. The latest effort from the Conservatives is just terrible and forgettable. I am not even sure what it is trying to say. It’s hardly Miliband in Salmond’s top pocket.
    If all those dead Iraqis could speak they would say the demon eyes poster low balled it.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,398
    Andy_JS said:

Who on earth is doing the Conservatives’ social media? It’s so completely tone deaf.

It's as if they looked back at the Tony Blair demon eyes ads from 1997 and thought "we need to do that sort of thing again even though it didn't work".
    "L is for Labour. L is for Lice."
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

It would appear that I now have interviews with BBC and Sky News lined up tomorrow…

Try and roll in a pb'ism into it.

Something only we'd get. Subtle.
    He’s got to mention stepmoms.
    lol You trying to get me suspended…?
    You say something like 'The Tories and the SNP are as unloved as a stepmom in a fairy tale'.
    As opposed to the other kind of step-mother.
    That's the bit you don't say out loud.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,837

Another cracking game at the Euros. Croatia 2-2 Albania.

It’s amazing watching these matches with the speed of play. The premier league is usually like that, hurly burly chaos and speed and yet whenever England play, even though 90% of the team play fast football week in, week out, it’s always slow, side to side passing, back passes.

I always wonder if there is some weird thing in the England set up where they just show the England team old matches from Mexico 86 etc where all the teams used to just pass it around and hope for a break.
  • Options

It would appear that I now have interviews with BBC and Sky News lined up tomorrow…

The hard graft that is put in by certain dockside workers?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,802
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Some of you bang on and on and on about Ukraine and the evil that is Putin. And how I am a fucking appeaser and a putinist shill and yet - weirdly - I am the only one who has watched from my hotel balcony as he tried to drone me to death. And then sent a missile two days later which shook my whole block

https://i.imgur.com/amZTU6B.mp4

Listen to it with audio on HIGH

So I’ll take no more lessons on that, thanks

You see, the post highlights your problem. It's not about Ukraine. It's not about Putin. It's about you. "watched from my hotel balcony as he tried to drone me to death".

Yes, Putin was personally targeting you.

You don't travel to observe; you don't travel to learn. You travel to brag. To boast.

And no thoughts for the people who have been hurt in these attacks. Because it's about you.
    Have you been to Ukraine @JosiasJessop?

Have you been there to report on the situation so that people back in the west understand the dire state of affairs, the bombs and missiles and endless power cuts, because you yourself experienced it, alongside them?

No. You haven’t. Because you are apparently a house husband who stays at home to look after the “little un” who must by now be the biggest “little un” in the history of reproduction, and is probably wondering why he looks so much like the Ocado delivery driver
    No. But I don't believe you go in there to 'report on the situation'. You don't. I see no chats with the everyman on the street; no insight. All I see is "Phwah! Look at the pretty girls!"

As for your last sentence. Fuck off, Seriously. I know you find it impossible to hold down relationships, but most other people - and posters - do. You might want to consider why that is before you shit over other people's relationships.

It's jealousy, I guess.

(And anyway, we don't have Ocado.... ;) )
    Well said JJ.

I’ve tried to be understanding today given his problematic upbringing, addiction to heroin, relationship breakdowns and estrangement from his children (not to mention the dubious seductions of girls of questionable age) but really this guy brings nothing any more to this forum except dislike from every quarter.

I really do not understand why @TSE and @rcs1000 put up with his trolling and flaming. It’s not about embracing a wide range of perspectives. He just insults everybody in the most vile and personally abusive ways.

This forum will come to an end if he’s not disciplined. Just a prediction. Like Putin and the Russian trolls, as well as his latest pin-ups Donald Trump and Nigel Farage, it’s what they want: disruption. And that’s clearly his aim: to disrupt this forum.
    Bollocks. There have been thousands of @SeanTs on the forum long before you arrived.

Not much has changed, apart from a turn over to different thousands of @SeanTs.

They have the impact you give them.

• Options
    edited June 19
    🚨Our latest @Moreincommon_ @TheNewsAgents MRP is out now.

It projects a Labour majority of 162 and a historic Conservative defeat.
    🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

What are the major shifts in this version of the model?

🔴🟡 More of the marginal seats in Scotland are projected to break for Labour from the SNP.

🟠🔵The Liberal Democrats are making bigger gains from the Tories in Oxfordshire, Somerset & Surrey in particular

🔵🔴 The Tories doing a bit better in holding against Labour in some parts of the South East and Outer London. But are doing worse everywhere else than last time losing more seats to Labour in the Midlands in particular.

https://x.com/LukeTryl/status/1803442656955244861
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 515
    @LukeTryl

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

0 for Reform? The pollsters are very very wide apart…
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,495
    Maybe they should have Keir Starmer with demon eyes, horns, a forked tongue, and 666 branded on his forehead.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,446

Fucking hell, that's isn't how the WEF works, and there's no membership.

Reform UK will reject the influence of the World Economic Forum and cancel Britain's membership of it.

https://x.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1803428288867557852

What is their chemtrails policy?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,291

Scott_xP said:

@Survation

NEW Constituency Poll in Clacton

REF 42% (new)
    CON 27% (-45)
    LAB 24% (+8)
    GRE 5% (+2)
    LD 2% (-4)
    OTH 1% (-2)

F/w 11th - 13th June. Changes vs. Notional 2019 result

https://x.com/Survation/status/1803438162468807155

Minus 45!
    I was joking earlier about "only Labour can stop Farage" but if they do another poll next week and Con drop to 3rd, that should be the line.
  • Options
    bobbobbobbob Posts: 57
    Just seen the omnisis.Hartlepool poll was carried out by stopping people in the street !

https://x.com/wethinkpolling/status/1800902177759842581

Seems like a crap way of running a poll
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,658
    edited June 19
    Headline VI from the MiC is 44 28 with Reform on 8, LD 11, Green 5
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,446

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

🔴🟡 More of the marginal seats in Scotland are projected to break for Labour from the SNP.

🟠🔵The Liberal Democrats are making bigger gains from the Tories in Oxfordshire, Somerset & Surrey in particular

🔵🔴 The Tories doing a bit better in holding against Labour in some parts of the South East and Outer London. But are doing worse everywhere else than last time losing more seats to Labour in the Midlands in particular.

This feels like it would be a great result for the Tories.
  • Options

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

🟣 We have a longer fieldwork range, we think this has advantages and are confident that isn’t causing major distortions among most parties but specifically means we may not be capturing all of Reform’s recent rise in the polls in seats with high profile candidates.

🗡️ We have 111 seats that are within 5 points. If the Tories lose all of the marginal seats we project them holding right now they would end up close to just 100 seats, if they won them all they could hit 200
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,360

Reform UK will reject the influence of the World Economic Forum and cancel Britain's membership of it.

Proscribe it and arrest any British citizen who attends. ;)
  • Options

What is behind the Tory / Reform giant disparities between pollsters?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,094

The hard graft that is put in by certain dockside workers?
    The advantage of Dutch Salute would be that it confuses the journalists enough to lead them to Google it, and a meme is born.
  • Options

Bad news for the likes of me who is heading off to Davos in 2025.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,554
    IanB2 said:

Just got my “Kier Starmer wants you to vote Reform” scare leaflet from the Tories

Keir Starmer wants you to watch the Euros, might be nearer the mark. According to The Rest is Entertainment, the story of this election is that no-one is paying attention. Starmer's underwhelming grilling by Nick Robinson clashed with the football and went largely without notice.

18.3 million people watched the England game. That is 3 out of every 4 viewers.
  • Options
    bobbob said:

Just seen the omnisis.Hartlepool poll was carried out by stopping people in the street !

That's how the polls used to be conducted and used to be pretty accurate.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,071
    edited June 19

@LukeTryl

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

These figures look more likely than some of the other MRPs.
  • Options
    Going to be funny when YouGov says the complete opposite of MiC and we won’t know where to go.

Might cause some fun odds fluctuations over the next hour though!
  • Options
    In our final model to be released the week of the election we will have more targeted work to address the challenges of support for smaller parties, so i'd wait till then on those parties though it will always be harder with an MRP. I wouldn't read much into Reform/Green figures

https://x.com/LukeTryl/status/1803444345766285598
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,331

Your choice in shoes hasn’t already made you persona non grata?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,947
    Andy_JS said:

@LukeTryl

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

I personally think that Reform is *likely* to get 2 seats: Ashfield and Clacton.

But even there, there is risk. What if Labour and LibDem supporters vote tactically for the Conservatives? If so, then even getting 40-45% in those seats might not be enough to win.
  • Options
    This MRP has Tories holding Gordon & Buchan but losing Aberdeenshire North & Moray East.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,061
    edited June 19
    DougSeal said:

Beautiful here in London.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Some of you bang on and on and on about Ukraine and the evil that is Putin. And how I am a fucking appeaser and a putinist shill and yet - weirdly - I am the only one who has watched from my hotel balcony as he tried to drone me to death. And then sent a missile two days later which shook my whole block

https://i.imgur.com/amZTU6B.mp4

Listen to it with audio on HIGH

So I’ll take no more lessons on that, thanks

You see, the post highlights your problem. It's not about Ukraine. It's not about Putin. It's about you. "watched from my hotel balcony as he tried to drone me to death".

Yes, Putin was personally targeting you.

You don't travel to observe; you don't travel to learn. You travel to brag. To boast.

And no thoughts for the people who have been hurt in these attacks. Because it's about you.
    Have you been to Ukraine @JosiasJessop?

Have you been there to report on the situation so that people back in the west understand the dire state of affairs, the bombs and missiles and endless power cuts, because you yourself experienced it, alongside them?

No. You haven’t. Because you are apparently a house husband who stays at home to look after the “little un” who must by now be the biggest “little un” in the history of reproduction, and is probably wondering why he looks so much like the Ocado delivery driver
    I know someone who was a captain in the Royal Engineers who defused IED’s in Iraq. He has PTSD. He doesn’t talk about it much. Prefers to talk about his kids. And his dog come to that. The contrast with you, your war tourism and your “SAS” mate is fucking embarrassing.
    He went to Odessa, which while I feel for the citizens there ( and I know someone who lives there), it is, thankfully, not yet the frontline. If he were to visit Kharkiv or alternatively parts of the Gaza strip I would be rather more impressed at his bravery. Frankly, he is probably safer there than he would be on a night out in Stockton-on-Tees.

Leon is a narcissist. It is probably why he likes Trump Farage and Johnson. He sees something of himself in them, even though he lacks any significant material success. I still find him repulsively funny sometimes though. His boasting is legendary and while his putdowns are not nearly as effective as mine, they can be sometimes amusing. The site would be poorer without him IMO.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,280

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

Con would breath a big sigh of relief if this was the result.
  • Options
    Jim_the_LurkerJim_the_Lurker Posts: 118
    edited June 19

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

🟣 We have a longer fieldwork range, we think this has advantages and are confident that isn’t causing major distortions among most parties but specifically means we may not be capturing all of Reform’s recent rise in the polls in seats with high profile candidates.

🗡️ We have 111 seats that are within 5 points. If the Tories lose all of the marginal seats we project them holding right now they would end up close to just 100 seats, if they won them all they could hit 200
    I assume that Reform caveat is saying “good chance Farage could win Clacton” and the second one saying “if reform take significant share in the marginals then the Tories are on life support.”
  • Options

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

That looks very much like the result I'm expecting (although a fraction high on Tory seats. Maybe 10 of those go elsewhere due to Reform splitting the vote.)

• Options
    bobbobbobbob Posts: 57
    Andy_JS said:

But it worked ! The polls got closer during the 1997 campaign.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,425

Reform and Farage are getting sillier by the day. All this nonsense has to pop at some point, or are they really completely immune?
  • Options

bobbob said:

There was a poll like that taken in 1992 in North Bedfordshire. It was wildly inaccurate.

I know this because the candidate was OGH.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

Sean_F said:

On topic, utterly terrible polling numbers for Sunak. In every way.

Looks like the centre-right vote may cleave entirely in two.

Rolf Harris would likely score better than Rishi Sunak as best PM.
    When he's unveiling a new policy "can you tell what it is yet ?"
    Ha Ha.

Honestly, Yougov should poll Sunak against people like Rolf Harris, Rosemary West, and Paul Gadd.
    That could be very embarrassing for Rishi though.
    I think there would only be a few per cent in it, either way.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,206

The last time the Tories hit 28% in a traditional poll was end of May...
  • Options
    "Joel Williams
    @joelwilliams74

New Verian random sample panel poll (scores v this time last week):

Lab 39 (-2)
    Cons 21 (+1)
    Reform 13 (-2)
    LD 13 (+2)
    Green 7 (-1)
    SNP 3 (-)
    Others 4 (+1) "

https://x.com/joelwilliams74/status/1803444470672744606
  • Options

Reform and Farage are getting sillier by the day. All this nonsense has to pop at some point, or are they really completely immune?
    They are immune. It caps their support at the 10-15% but makes that 10-15% pretty much rock solid regardless of what they say.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,554
    algarkirk said:

Sean_F said:

David Herdson is correct. If Reform is plainly the rising party (and both Farage and Reform have better favourability ratings than Sunak and the Conservatives), many party activists will go over to them - because there would be no point to the Conservatives, any longer.

This needs a longer look. This is in one sense the SDP of our days - a major party having a substantial bit of its base taken by others. And the SDP failed, which is a warning.

But, and this won't change, Reform is populist, the SDP wasn't. The problem with populism is that it is popular but it doesn't work, and it isn't true. Most people know that there aren't simple answers to complex questions - enough to keep two parties that are more or less usually for grown ups in business.

People are assessed and reckon themselves by the company they keep. There are insufficient red trousered swivel eyed loons to man the party nationally, not is there the semblance of a front bench with more than one member, and he has never had to be accountable for anything; and he would not survive genuine scrutiny for 10 minutes.

Don't bet on the disappearance of the Tories. They have 15,000,000 potential voters (not in 2024 though), assets, structure and history.
    Not to mention that RefUK will attract the more extreme votes away from the Conservatives, which is either an opportunity or a problem for Nigel Farage. If there are no extremists left in the Conservative Party, does that mean its centrist rump will be less likely to work with Farage because his politics are anathema to them, or more likely because they will need him?
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

The last time the Tories hit 28% in a traditional poll was end of May...
    Yes although all MRPs have had vote share exceeding regular polling so far
  • Options
    RobD said:

Your choice in shoes hasn’t already made you persona non grata?
    A few years ago I wore flip flops to one of the hotel bars.

Granted they were a pair of Louis Vuitton flip flops but still.
  • Options

TSE:

Well, this is why I loathe Farage. You see, he know the WEF is not like the UN. He knows there are no dues. It's just a conference and a research department. (And an amazing opportunity to ski the slopes of Davos and Klosters with no crowds!)

So, he's either lying because that message appeals to his supporters. Or he's genuinely ignorant, in which case it doesn't say much for his intellectual curiosity about the world.
  • Options

In our final model to be released the week of the election we will have more targeted work to address the challenges of support for smaller parties, so i'd wait till then on those parties though it will always be harder with an MRP. I wouldn't read much into Reform/Green figures

https://x.com/LukeTryl/status/1803444345766285598

“I wouldn't read much into Reform/Green figures”

A huge, huge determinant of the Tory seat total is the Reform figures!

Why do they even publish these if they’re willingly admitting that it might be incomplete?

Similarly with yesterday’s IPSOS poll which just ignored Corbyn in Islington North and the Ashfield Independents for Ashfield. Make a manual adjustment if you need to, it is surely better than leaving gaping obvious holes in the picture?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,398

I've been to Davos. However, unlike the WEF crowd, I had the good sense to visit in summer. We saw red squirrels, deer and crested tits in the nearby woods.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

bobbob said:

There was a poll like that taken in 1992 in North Bedfordshire. It was wildly inaccurate.

I know this because the candidate was OGH.
    Incidentally just noticed that the North Beds constituency name is being resurrected for this election for the first time since 1997.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,201
    Andy_JS said:

"Joel Williams
    @joelwilliams74

Lab 39 (-2)
    Cons 21 (+1)
    Reform 13 (-2)
    LD 13 (+2)
    Green 7 (-1)
    SNP 3 (-)
    Others 4 (+1) "

Obligatory Baxtering: Lab 453, Con 84, LD 62, Ref 3, Grn 2 (without tactical voting).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TSE:

Well, this is why I loathe Farage. You see, he know the WEF is not like the UN. He knows there are no dues. It's just a conference and a research department. (And an amazing opportunity to ski the slopes of Davos and Klosters with no crowds!)

So, he's either lying because that message appeals to his supporters. Or he's genuinely ignorant, in which case it doesn't say much for his intellectual curiosity about the world.
    He's a few tweets from accusing George Soros of working for the Nazis.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Joel Williams
    @joelwilliams74

Lab 39 (-2)
    Cons 21 (+1)
    Reform 13 (-2)
    LD 13 (+2)
    Green 7 (-1)
    SNP 3 (-)
    Others 4 (+1) "

The first Conservative increase in 44 polls.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,343
    40 MINS TO THE YG MRP

Last one had Lab at their lowest (37&) for weeks

Will todays Poll have them back into low 40's?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,429
    edited June 19
    Andy_JS said:

"Joel Williams
    @joelwilliams74

Lab 39 (-2)
    Cons 21 (+1)
    Reform 13 (-2)
    LD 13 (+2)
    Green 7 (-1)
    SNP 3 (-)
    Others 4 (+1) "

Dangerously close to Con/LD seat crossover even with that tick up in Con support.

Lab 453, Con 84, LD 62, SNP 21, PC 4, Ref 3, Green 2 Others 21
  • Options

I've been to Davos. However, unlike the WEF crowd, I had the good sense to visit in summer. We saw red squirrels, deer and crested tits in the nearby woods.
    You would see a lot of tits if you visited in winter too.
  • Options

40 MINS TO THE YG MRP

37% was actually the lowest this year with anybody I think
  • Options

What is behind the Tory / Reform giant disparities between pollsters?
    Much more realistic. Much more in line with actual election results. Tories within touching distance of 30%, and my £50 bet safe. Much as it pains me in other ways.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,280

40 MINS TO THE YG MRP

Either way SKS fans had better get ready to do some explaining... :D
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,061

I suspect the vast majority of leavers thought/think that the Council of Europe and the European Court of Human Rights are part of the EU.

Farage won't care that they can't cancel the membership; it is enough to say he will, to keep his followers masturbating about reducing the influence of bloody foreigners.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,075
    Andy_JS said:

This morning's PO witness was an 80 year old former executive talking about things that happened in 1998. Shows why the whole inquiry should have happened a lot earlier than it has.

He'd have been younger?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

All those Dutch salutes.
  • Options
    edited June 19
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

@LukeTryl

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

I personally think that Reform is *likely* to get 2 seats: Ashfield and Clacton.

But even there, there is risk. What if Labour and LibDem supporters vote tactically for the Conservatives? If so, then even getting 40-45% in those seats might not be enough to win.
    I think the single most likely option for Reform is one seat, but only just versus the poss. of two seats.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,217

@LukeTryl

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

Apparently a lot of the fieldwork for this was done before Farage announced he was standing and before Sunak's D-Day exit, so I am not sure how much value there is in it.

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,450
    It's in the manifesto, but the abolition of the BBC is not, nor is what replaces the licence fee to fund it.

The policy is for people with lower cognitive aptitude who want the BBC (snooker, Wimbledon, MOTD, Gardener's World, royal occasions, Radio 2, stuff), would hate to have to subscribe like to Sky and things, would also hate abolition but don't want to say so, and don't want to think about how it is paid for.

• Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,551

IanB2 said:

Just got my “Kier Starmer wants you to vote Reform” scare leaflet from the Tories

Keir Starmer wants you to watch the Euros, might be nearer the mark. According to The Rest is Entertainment, the story of this election is that no-one is paying attention. Starmer's underwhelming grilling by Nick Robinson clashed with the football and went largely without notice.

18.3 million people watched the England game. That is 3 out of every 4 viewers.
    Makes it even more ludicrous Sunak called the election when he did. Given he knew (or should have known) the Tories needed a real gamechanger to get a halfway respectable result and with the exception of a truly epic scandal or some sort of act of God, that could only ever happen in a campaign that was people's main focus.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The weather would be a bit rough around the nipples, surely?
  • Options
    Right, I am off for my daily wound check and dressing change, I shall pick up the YouGov MRP later on.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 51,160
    Mrs Starmer has made an appearance. At Westminster magistrates’ court, giving evidence against three morons who decided to set up camp outside her house to protest Israel.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/06/19/keir-starmer-wife-victoria-starmer-palestinian/
  • Options
    edited June 19

@LukeTryl

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

Apparently a lot of the fieldwork for this was done before Farage announced he was standing and before Sunak's D-Day exit, so I am not sure how much value there is in it.

What's the point of modern technology/online panels if they can't conduct a poll quickly? Back in 1992 they were able to go from data collection to publication in just a few days IIRC.
  • Options

@LukeTryl

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

They weight more recent responses more highly, though.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Joel Williams
    @joelwilliams74

Lab 39 (-2)
    Cons 21 (+1)
    Reform 13 (-2)
    LD 13 (+2)
    Green 7 (-1)
    SNP 3 (-)
    Others 4 (+1) "

Dangerously close to Con/LD seat crossover even with that tick up in Con support.

Lab 453, Con 84, LD 62, SNP 21, PC 4, Ref 3, Green 2 Others 21

Labour voters moving to the LibDems in seats where they challenge the Tories is not great news for the Tories, to put it mildly.

• Options

RobD said:

"Stonehenge covered in powder paint by Just Stop Oil"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cw44mdee0zzo

Do these people really think they're doing themselves, or their cause, any good?

"Yeah, you know, I was one of the people who desecrated Stonehenge..."

The press should just collectively agree not to report on any single Just Stop Oil protest like this. They’d quickly get the message.
    They're such wankers
    They are all rather pathetic, and usually rather well off.

Although the Stonehenge we see now is a modern recreation. Turner painted it a couple of centuries ago for a better reflection of what was there before the airfield, the road etc.

https://tqemagazine.wordpress.com/2018/02/02/stonehenge-1825joseph-mallord-william-turner/
  • Options

It’s funny that Nigel doesn’t want others to be able to go to Davos and enjoy European tits when he has had Irish and German wives and now a French partner. Hypocrite.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Andy_JS said:

"Joel Williams
    @joelwilliams74

Lab 39 (-2)
    Cons 21 (+1)
    Reform 13 (-2)
    LD 13 (+2)
    Green 7 (-1)
    SNP 3 (-)
    Others 4 (+1) "

The first Conservative increase in 44 polls.
    Yes! My mathematical run is over........
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,360
    There's been a lot of focus on Reform, but the challenge from the Greens and Galloway's lot + independents could also throw up some unusual results. Pollsters who aren't taking account of the different parts of the Labour coalition may be overstating their support.
  • Options

Right, I am off for my daily wound check and dressing change, I shall pick up the YouGov MRP later on.

How did you wound your daily?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,470
    edited June 19

@LukeTryl

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

That's a shockingly slow turnaround of fieldwork data this close to a GE.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,889
    I was talking to a colleague from Spain. In Spain, there used to be 2 big parties, a Tory-like one and a Labour-like one. Then, there was a period of change: the rise of Podemos and Ciudadnos, etc. All was chaotic. Some years later, however, and things have settled down to 2 big parties, the same as before, a Tory-like one and a Labour-like one.

I mention this because we're in a period of change, with one of our 2 big parties collapsing. Maybe it will lead to some fundamental shift in British politics, as in the 1930s. But maybe it won't. Maybe in 10 years time, we'll have Labour and the Tories as the two big parties.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,331
    boulay said:

It’s funny that Nigel doesn’t want others to be able to go to Davos and enjoy European tits when he has had Irish and German wives and now a French partner. Hypocrite.
    As absurd as it is, I don’t think the policy is to stop all Britons travelling to Davos.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

@LukeTryl

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

Implied vote shares are:

Lab 44%
    Con 28%
    Lib Dem 11%
    Reform 8%
    Green 5%
    SNP 3%

Compared to other polls, that seems toppy for Labour, very high for the Tories and very low for Reform.

• Options

Sean_F said:

@LukeTryl

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

Implied vote shares are:

Lab 44%
    Con 28%
    Lib Dem 11%
    Reform 8%
    Green 5%
    SNP 3%

Compared to other polls, that seems toppy for Labour, very high for the Tories and very low for Reform.

All the MRP polls are placing the Conservatives notably higher, and Reform notably lower, than the standard polls
  • Options
    edited June 19

Sean_F said:

@LukeTryl

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

Implied vote shares are:

Lab 44%
    Con 28%
    Lib Dem 11%
    Reform 8%
    Green 5%
    SNP 3%

That 28% is the Tories' best for a long time. But the low Reform share looks unlikely, as already discussed possibly due to old data.
  • Options

There's been a lot of focus on Reform, but the challenge from the Greens and Galloway's lot + independents could also throw up some unusual results. Pollsters who aren't taking account of the different parts of the Labour coalition may be overstating their support.

The greens will fade closer to the election like coloured cornflour on a neolithic monument in a rain storm.
  • Options
    Verian become the third pollster to take Labour into the 30s, 40 is looking a good benchmark now. Verian use the same method as IPSOS MRP for selecting panellists. It's all looking fairly steady though at around a 20 lead
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,780
    Andy_JS said:

"Joel Williams
    @joelwilliams74

Lab 39 (-2)
    Cons 21 (+1)
    Reform 13 (-2)
    LD 13 (+2)
    Green 7 (-1)
    SNP 3 (-)
    Others 4 (+1) "

KLAXON
    The Tories are up in a poll!
    KLAXON
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,418

@LukeTryl

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

Doo bee doo. My seat predictions in the
    General Election Competition!: https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4826157#Comment_4826157

Con 159
    Lab 404
    LibDem 42
    SNP 19
    SF 7
    DUP 5
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,450

rcs1000 said:

TSE:

He's a few tweets from accusing George Soros of working for the Nazis.
    The WEF thing in the manifesto is one of the nods to QAnon conspiracy tropes. Another is the reference to vaccination deaths, others are the studied silences on Trump, Ukraine, Russia, Putin. China, Israel.

Soros, Gates and especially Rothschild don't get a walk on part either, but they do as soon as you talk to the QAnon branch of the Reform voters. I had an earful last week from one.

Farage never ever allows himself an unqualified criticism, however slight, of Trump. When he concurs with such a point made by an interviewer, he immediately moderates it. His R4 interview this week (with Webb IIRC) was a gem.
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 986
    TimS said:

The greens will fade closer to the election like coloured cornflour on a neolithic monument in a rain storm.
    Agree. I was intending to vote Green but now back to Labour (I always waver between the two).
  • Options
    edited June 19
    Example of the difference between MRPS: this new one has Gavin Williamson in a 46/46 dead heat with Labour in his new seat, whereas the previous one had him winning fairly easily by 50% to 35%.

https://www.moreincommon.org.uk/general-election-2024/mrp-19-june-2024/
  • Options

@LukeTryl

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

Thought it was conducted 12th to 14th of June Sunak D Day Exit was before that wasnt it?
  • Options

What is their chemtrails policy?
    Page 9 of their (non-)manifesto:

"Excess Deaths and Vaccine Harms Public Inquiry

"Excess deaths are nearly as high as they were during the Covid pandemic. Young people are over-represented."

Pure conspiracy theory. They'll be calling for Fauci to be prosecuted next.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@LukeTryl

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

That's a shockingly slow turnaround of fieldwork data this close to a GE.
    MiC say its deliberate to try and iron out any bumps in the campaign but acknowledge it means they may well be undercooking Reforms surge, although they imply I think its overdone a bit anyway (or seem to be in the write up to me)
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Joel Williams
    @joelwilliams74

Lab 39 (-2)
    Cons 21 (+1)
    Reform 13 (-2)
    LD 13 (+2)
    Green 7 (-1)
    SNP 3 (-)
    Others 4 (+1) "

KLAXON
    KLAXON
    I’m just glad for Nigel that reform have been consistently outpolling the Tories since he declared they are now the official opposition to Labour otherwise he would look like an utterly hubristic prick which isn’t the Nige we know and love.
  • Options

How are they not taking account of that? They're polling. Respondents can say WPB or Green or independent. Not that many respondents do, not compared to RefUK supporters.
  • Options

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

This feels like it would be a great result for the Tories.
    Hands bitten off in Downing Street. Richi goes, but he won't care much. Tories have enough to rebuild, labour have a decent majority for (probably) two terms.
  • Options

@LukeTryl

🔴Lab 406 (+204)
    🔵Con 155 (-210)
    🟠Lib Dem 49 (+38)
    🟡SNP 18 (-30)
    🟢Plaid 2 (-2)
    🟩Green 1 (-)
    Changes on 2019 actuals.

Thought it was conducted 12th to 14th of June Sunak D Day Exit was before that wasnt it?
    Actually it wasnt data collected between May 22 and June 17, which includes the period before Mr Farage announced his decision to stand in the sea
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,429

Andy_JS said:

"Joel Williams
    @joelwilliams74

Lab 39 (-2)
    Cons 21 (+1)
    Reform 13 (-2)
    LD 13 (+2)
    Green 7 (-1)
    SNP 3 (-)
    Others 4 (+1) "

KLAXON
    KLAXON
    Yebbut... caused by a methodology change?

Now incorporates a squeeze question and some imputation for the remaining voters-to-be who have not provided a party choice.

Without that methodological change, the results would be... very similar (Lab 40, Cons 20, all others the same).

https://x.com/joelwilliams74/status/1803444473017364919
  • Options

I was talking to a colleague from Spain. In Spain, there used to be 2 big parties, a Tory-like one and a Labour-like one. Then, there was a period of change: the rise of Podemos and Ciudadnos, etc. All was chaotic. Some years later, however, and things have settled down to 2 big parties, the same as before, a Tory-like one and a Labour-like one.

I mention this because we're in a period of change, with one of our 2 big parties collapsing. Maybe it will lead to some fundamental shift in British politics, as in the 1930s. But maybe it won't. Maybe in 10 years time, we'll have Labour and the Tories as the two big parties.

There are two parties in Spain that can lead a coalition government - PP and PSOE - but the days when either could win a majority or even govern alone are probably gone. Vox on the far right and Sumar/Podemos on the far left are still important (Sumar is part of the current government), then there are the regional parties. But Spain does have a different electoral system (PR, region by region, not national) and that makes it easier for parties to appear, rise and then fall again.

• Options
    edited June 19
    MRP: Tories hold Hemel Hempstead by 40% to 39% where a 13.4% swing is required by Lab.

https://www.moreincommon.org.uk/general-election-2024/mrp-19-june-2024/
  • Options
    Penny hangs on with MiC, and the IoW seats are entertainingly knife edge
  • Options

40 MINS TO THE YG MRP

37% was actually the lowest this year with anybody I think
    Lowest since Big Dog was in charge