Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

By 32% to 26% Brits think Ed Davey would be a better PM than Rishi Sunak – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,183
    Mr. Doyle, Quoth is the name of the familiar raven in Baldur's Gate 3.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,986
    Taz said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

Well the country put Boris into number 10, he was a clown. So it is hardly a surprise people would go for another clown over the incumbent.

How dire politics is today.

I Suspect Alan Bates and the Postmasters may have a different view :lol:

Do they have a view on the cascade of Tory ministers who failed to do anything about the increasingly obvious issues with the PO after 2015 and until extremely recently? Or just Davey because that’s the meme the right wing press have managed to insuinuate into the collective mind?

Please feel free to ask them. I am sure they have.

Laura K savaged him on Sunday on her politics show about it and he looked very very uncomfortable and she is hardly right wing. Her Father was a donor to the Labour Party.
    My father made Genghis Khan and Attila the Hun look like namby-pamby liberals but here I am with not a jot overlap in views with my father.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,800

I was joking and the point was the suggestion that ebike problems differentially affect lib Dems. In fact I think suggestions that weather conditions favour one party or another are bonkers. It's not like Scandinavian countries where elections have to be in summer or nobody can get to the polling station

All the confusion snipped.

Yes - I think I put a wink or a Point D'exclamation on my original reply at some point on the FPPPPT thread !

ATB whatever you do.
  • Options

For those keeping track, my bookshop will be changing its name tomorrow. New signage is coming today!
    As a final clue, here (hopefully) is the sign/logo with the name removed. See what you say...

textless-logo

Raven Books?
    There are three ravens in the picture so you're looking for the collective noun instead.

And my very best wishes to Unkindness Books.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 50,173
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Farage set to win Clacton ‘with biggest swing in modern history’

Reform UK leader on course to get 42% in the Essex seat, a new poll suggests

Nigel Farage is on course to win the Clacton seat with the biggest swing in modern electoral history, a new poll has suggested.

The survey, commissioned by Arron Banks, a former Ukip donor, suggests that Farage will win 42 per cent of the vote in Clacton in Essex. The Tories are forecast to win 27 per cent and Labour 24 per cent.

Survation, the company that carried out the survey, said the scale of the projected swing from the Tories to Labour would be “extremely rare” and “unprecedented in modern electoral history”.

The seat has been held by Giles Watling, a Conservative, since 2017. In 2019, when Boris Johnson put Brexit at the heart of his campaign, Watling secured a 24,702 majority with 72 per cent of the vote share.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/farage-set-to-win-clacton-with-biggest-swing-in-modern-history-5tzjsmtw6

HUZZAH
    I cannot work out why you are applauding a party of Putin shills doing well.
    Too much time on X ?

Someone should tell Leon series 4 of The Boys is out.
    He's clearly bored.
    Is it any good? I rather enjoyed the first seasons, tho it is no masterpiece
  • Options

For those keeping track, my bookshop will be changing its name tomorrow. New signage is coming today!
    As a final clue, here (hopefully) is the sign/logo with the name removed. See what you say...

textless-logo

Raven Books?
    I'm thinking Raven's Gate.
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 515
    edited June 19
    https://x.com/nigel_farage/status/1803410012615680244?s=46

This polling shows Reform will win seats at the election.

I think many people are going to be surprised on July 4th.

If you vote Reform, you get Reform.

I really really think today’s YouGov MRP might be a stunner.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 315
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,233

Taz said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

Well the country put Boris into number 10, he was a clown. So it is hardly a surprise people would go for another clown over the incumbent.

Do they have a view on the cascade of Tory ministers who failed to do anything about the increasingly obvious issues with the PO after 2015 and until extremely recently? Or just Davey because that’s the meme the right wing press have managed to insuinuate into the collective mind?

Laura K savaged him on Sunday on her politics show about it and he looked very very uncomfortable and she is hardly right wing. Her Father was a donor to the Labour Party.
    Yes, because good daughters ALWAYS slavishly follow the political leanings of their fathers, for fear that thinking for themselves on such matters could lead to giddiness, hysteria, and a lifetime as a spinster. That goes as much for daughters who are senior political correspondents as anyone else.

I mean, I understand Liz Truss famously only became PM to please her rabidly Tory father...
    So she clearly is a right winger because online people think she is a right winger.

With no evidence.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,920

textless-logo

Raven Books?
    Crow Rd Books...
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,233
    kjh said:

Taz said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

My father made Genghis Khan and Attila the Hun look like namby-pamby liberals but here I am with not a jot overlap in views with my father.
    Hot off the press.
  • Options
    Nunu5 said:
    HUZZAH
  • Options

Leon said:

Nigel Farage is on course to win the Clacton seat with the biggest swing in modern electoral history, a new poll has suggested.

The survey, commissioned by Arron Banks, a former Ukip donor, suggests that Farage will win 42 per cent of the vote in Clacton in Essex. The Tories are forecast to win 27 per cent and Labour 24 per cent.

Survation, the company that carried out the survey, said the scale of the projected swing from the Tories to Labour would be “extremely rare” and “unprecedented in modern electoral history”.

The seat has been held by Giles Watling, a Conservative, since 2017. In 2019, when Boris Johnson put Brexit at the heart of his campaign, Watling secured a 24,702 majority with 72 per cent of the vote share.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/farage-set-to-win-clacton-with-biggest-swing-in-modern-history-5tzjsmtw6

HUZZAH
    Why do you assume he is against Putin?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,091

Taz said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

If Davey gets proper savaged at the inquiry on 18 July his election jolly japery is going to look retrospectively very poor
    If he wears a wetsuit I’m sure Sir Jason will be entirely disarmed.
    He will go into it with the benefit of having been asked pretty searching questions about the subject more times than the entire Tory front bench or any other minister with responsibility for the Post Office.

His best bet is to be honest and open about the whole thing and provide as much useful information as possible, even if some of it reflects on him badly. The biggest criticism is that he was insufficiently curious at the time, and too easily fobbed off by the PO. But subsequent Tory ministers knew exactly what was going on, had piles of evidence building up by the day, and repeatedly delayed and obfuscated.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

HUZZAH
    Too much time on X ?

Someone should tell Leon series 4 of The Boys is out.
    He's clearly bored.
    Is it any good? I rather enjoyed the first seasons, tho it is no masterpiece
    It's great fun, bad taste, broad brush political satire.
    You'll empathise with Homelander's intimations of mortality.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,429

textless-logo

Raven Books?
    Stone the Crows!
  • Options
    edited June 19
    Chameleon said:

Objectively hilarious that Sunak trounces Farage!

Starmer beats Farage by 2:1 in a head to head, too. PB extremely right wing people please explain!
    It doesn't matter who Green or LD voters prefer. As I said earlier all that matters for Farage is his popularity in the rightmost 35%.

E.g. in the cross tabs Farage wins 40-38 for 2019 Con, while Sunak wins 63-3 among 2019 LDs
    I wonder what Thatcher's popularity was in her early years as PM, or indeed before or after

I know she is now regularly cited (correctly) as the greatest politician since Cromwell but I sense she was also quite Marmite-y

Before PB has an aneurysm I am not comparing Farage to Thatcher in "quality", she was a genius, he is a chancer (but good at it). I am making the point that "popularity" has fuck all to do with winning or being good. I mean - Gareth Southgate????
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,653
    Taz said:

Taz said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

Yes, because good daughters ALWAYS slavishly follow the political leanings of their fathers, for fear that thinking for themselves on such matters could lead to giddiness, hysteria, and a lifetime as a spinster. That goes as much for daughters who are senior political correspondents as anyone else.

I mean, I understand Liz Truss famously only became PM to please her rabidly Tory father...
    So she clearly is a right winger because online people think she is a right winger.

With no evidence.

You, an online person, started this by asking us to assume she is hardly right wing, with no evidence. Unsurprisingly not everyone concurs.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

With no evidence.

Don't most people just think she's a bit crap ?
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 730
    Nigelb said:

textless-logo

Raven Books?
    Crow Rd Books...
    Well done, sir!
  • Options
    Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

HUZZAH
    Cause Putin just spent two weeks trying to kill me in Odessa and Kyiv. Literally. And came quite close on a couple of occasions - I have the videos to show for it

That tends to focus the mind
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 583
    MattW said:

I was joking and the point was the suggestion that ebike problems differentially affect lib Dems. In fact I think suggestions that weather conditions favour one party or another are bonkers. It's not like Scandinavian countries where elections have to be in summer or nobody can get to the polling station

All the confusion snipped.

Yes - I think I put a wink or a Point D'exclamation on my original reply at some point on the FPPPPT thread !

ATB whatever you do.
    Not me. Only my gear changes are electric.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,398
    Rook Books
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,810
    Nunu5 said:
    Swamp the constituency with Ukrainians. Canvassing for the Tories.

That would scare him shitless. On several levels.

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,418

Farooq said:

im not tremendously convinced that the electorate are particularly worried about the size of the Labour majority. I think everyone expects them to get 4/5 years of having a go (and sod seat counts) and then everyone will check back in in 2028/2029.

I know that feels a bit odd, but that’s the sense I get.

I care, in the sense that I want the electorate to mop the floor with the Tories.

But you're right. I think there's even a slight risk that talk of record-breaking majorities might tempt people to be part of history. I want the Tory party to really feel every exquisite kick the electorate offers them. Functionally, is there any difference between a majority of 80 and one of 160? I don't think there is.
    Between 80 and 160? No, not that much.

There's a bigger difference between 40 and 80 than between 80 and 160 - 40 is much more vulnerable to defections, by-elections and rebellions. 80 will see a parliament out comfortably, and it'd need quite a major rebellion to lose a vote, not just usual awkward squad members.

But. Those aren't the limit of the possibilities, by any means. Wanting "the Tory party to really feel every exquisite kick the electorate offers them" is asking for the Tories down way below 100 and a Labour majority top-side of 300, maybe even top-side of 400. That's an extreme, but still very plausible, outcome.

And if the Tories do drop to third in seats then we're out of the two-party system that's existed for a hundred years. There would then open up a vacuum on the centre-right, inertia would no longer be enough to keep a party with a dwindling, aging and inactive membership dominant there. For the moment, they occupy prime place to oppose Labour because they are in that place; it's a reinforcing cycle. If you want to oppose Labour from the right then the easiest way is the Tories. But not if they're down to a few dozen seats. What then? Do the loud voices on social media stick with them or go to Reform? Same with the mainstream media? Or donors? The infrastructure that's keeping the Tories alive could easily fall apart very quickly - and with it goes such practical and pragmatic judgement on governing as remains within it, and the cultural memory of two centuries.

We should be careful what we wish for, despite the temptation and despite it being thoroughly deserved.

That said, if Labour was being responsible, it'd introduce PR and state funding for parties. Obviously, it won't.

Farooq said:

im not tremendously convinced that the electorate are particularly worried about the size of the Labour majority. I think everyone expects them to get 4/5 years of having a go (and sod seat counts) and then everyone will check back in in 2028/2029.

I know that feels a bit odd, but that’s the sense I get.

I care, in the sense that I want the electorate to mop the floor with the Tories.

But you're right. I think there's even a slight risk that talk of record-breaking majorities might tempt people to be part of history. I want the Tory party to really feel every exquisite kick the electorate offers them. Functionally, is there any difference between a majority of 80 and one of 160? I don't think there is.
    Between 80 and 160? No, not that much.

There's a bigger difference between 40 and 80 than between 80 and 160 - 40 is much more vulnerable to defections, by-elections and rebellions. 80 will see a parliament out comfortably, and it'd need quite a major rebellion to lose a vote, not just usual awkward squad members.

But. Those aren't the limit of the possibilities, by any means. Wanting "the Tory party to really feel every exquisite kick the electorate offers them" is asking for the Tories down way below 100 and a Labour majority top-side of 300, maybe even top-side of 400. That's an extreme, but still very plausible, outcome.

And if the Tories do drop to third in seats then we're out of the two-party system that's existed for a hundred years. There would then open up a vacuum on the centre-right, inertia would no longer be enough to keep a party with a dwindling, aging and inactive membership dominant there. For the moment, they occupy prime place to oppose Labour because they are in that place; it's a reinforcing cycle. If you want to oppose Labour from the right then the easiest way is the Tories. But not if they're down to a few dozen seats. What then? Do the loud voices on social media stick with them or go to Reform? Same with the mainstream media? Or donors? The infrastructure that's keeping the Tories alive could easily fall apart very quickly - and with it goes such practical and pragmatic judgement on governing as remains within it, and the cultural memory of two centuries.

We should be careful what we wish for, despite the temptation and despite it being thoroughly deserved.

That said, if Labour was being responsible, it'd introduce PR and state funding for parties. Obviously, it won't.
    Just to be clear, I am being careful what I wish for. I wish for the annihilation of the Conservative Party.
    I really don't think I'll see it. I'm more bullish on the Tories' chances than the majority (so far in the General Election Competition!: https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4826157#Comment_4826157 I've predicted the third highest Tory seat count)
    But I've thought about it for a few years now and the destruction of the Tory Party is very high on the wish list. Law of unintended consequences acknowledged. I have thought about it. I still want it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

HUZZAH
    Cause Putin just spent two weeks trying to kill me in Odessa and Kyiv. Literally. And came quite close on a couple of occasions - I have the videos to show for it

I wouldn't take it personally.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

With no evidence.

To be fair to her I think she has reined it in recently. She is getting better at the impartiality, and her show is generally enjoyable. To reuse the hardly term, I'm hardly a Corbynista but I've had to double-take several times over the years after she has said something - for example that time when she ended an interview with Yvette Cooper with "well there are plenty of people who would disagree with you, but you have made Labour's position clear" after closing with a Tory minister on the same programme with something along the lines of "great to speak as always, thanks for making time to come on the show", or when she was pushing the line that the London Mayoral election was on a knife edge based on one or two overenthusiastic Tory activists.

She needs to be more sceptical of the lines she gets fed by Conservative sources. I think that's been the issue.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,838

Nigelb said:

textless-logo

Raven Books?
    Crow Rd Books...
    Well done, sir!
    The Crow Road in Glasgow (on which the title of Banks’ book is at least partly based) is a rather horrible commuter rat run a lot of the time. I like your version better.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,992
    Is it Waterstones?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Is it Waterstones?

Sooo close.
  • Options
    edited June 19
    Some of you bang on and on and on about Ukraine and the evil that is Putin. And how I am a fucking appeaser and a putinist shill and yet - weirdly - I am the only one who has watched from my hotel balcony as he tried to drone me to death. And then sent a missile two days later which shook my whole block

https://i.imgur.com/amZTU6B.mp4

Listen to it with audio on HIGH

So I’ll take no more lessons on that, thanks
  • Options

Nunu5 said:
    Swamp the constituency with Ukrainians. Canvassing for the Tories.

That would scare him shitless. On several levels.

I wonder if labour/green/libdems would vote tactically for the Tories in this seat?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,838
    Leon said:

Some of you bang on and on and on about Ukraine and the evil that is Putin. And how I am a fucking appeaser and a putinist shill and yet - weirdly - I am the only one who has watched from my hotel balcony as he tried to drone me to death. And then sent a missile two days later which shook my whole block

I think most reasonable PBers think you WERE a fucking appeaser and a putinist shill, but you’re not now.
  • Options
    Nunu5 said:
    Interesting that he refers to it as a by election!
  • Options
    Another data point suggesting climate sensitivity to CO2 levels is quite a bit higher than the model we're basing policy on.

Continuous sterane and phytane δ13C record reveals a substantial pCO2 decline since the mid-Miocene
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-024-47676-9
    Constraining the relationship between temperature and atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide (pCO2) is essential to model near-future climate. Here, we reconstruct pCO2 values over the past 15 million years (Myr), providing a series of analogues for possible near-future temperatures and pCO2, from a single continuous site (DSDP Site 467, California coast). We reconstruct pCO2 values using sterane and phytane, compounds that many phytoplankton produce and then become fossilised in sediment. From 15.0-0.3 Myr ago, our reconstructed pCO2 values steadily decline from 650 ± 150 to 280 ± 75 ppmv, mirroring global temperature decline. Using our new range of pCO2 values, we calculate average Earth system sensitivity and equilibrium climate sensitivity, resulting in 13.9 °C and 7.2 °C per doubling of pCO2, respectively. These values are significantly higher than IPCC global warming estimations, consistent or higher than some recent state-of-the-art climate models, and consistent with other proxy-based estimates...
  • Options
    Leon said:

You're droning us to death
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 366
    kjh said:

@RochdalePioneers I see you are doing a cracking job of ensuring your competition is nobbled. Two more to go. Just remember if the Tory/SNP candidate falls under a steam roller the election is deferred and you don't win by default.

I was interested if this was actually true (spoiler: it is, well unless it's a very light steam roller) and for anyone else who may be the rules on death during the campaign can be found here. They're rather biased against independents tbh.

Very different to the US where notoriously dead people have been voted into power before.
  • Options

Leon said:

I think most reasonable PBers think you WERE a fucking appeaser and a putinist shill, but you’re not now.
    lol

Right I can't spend all day chatting with cowering peacenicks, yellowbellies and chicken-shit armchair warriors, I have things to do. Like: stuff myself with oysters and Sancerre at Sheekey's with my friend the SAS veteran who has also been to Ukraine, we're gonna talk about WAR

It's a guy thing. You wouldn't understand
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,071
    Good news for Rishi: inflation has precisely hit the 2% target.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjrrk8j7pwxo
  • Options

kjh said:

@RochdalePioneers I see you are doing a cracking job of ensuring your competition is nobbled. Two more to go. Just remember if the Tory/SNP candidate falls under a steam roller the election is deferred and you don't win by default.

I was interested if this was actually true (spoiler: it is, well unless it's a very light steam roller) and for anyone else who may be the rules on death during the campaign can be found here. They're rather biased against independents tbh.

Very different to the US where notoriously dead people have been voted into power before.
    Here it's just the self-effacing dead ?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,510
    Andy_JS said:

Good news for Rishi: inflation has precisely hit the 2% target.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjrrk8j7pwxo

I should think it will be a matter of supreme indifference to him once he has emigrated to California.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

If you really want to be a professional writer, stop moaning on PB. stop staring at the drizzle in Aberdeen, get off your sessile butt and go and DO SOMETHING - there is no substitute for actual life and experience - the more extreme the better, in general

That's honest advice!
  • Options
    If Reform do land a few seats in the East does this and the obvious geographical pattern of the Brexit vote start to become a self-fulfilling prophesy as it has done in America?

I wrote earlier that Trump is in the mould of a post-colonial populist leader. Someone motivated by patronage for his clan or tribe, who seeks power for personal and family reasons and as a source of wealth and/or criminal immunity.

He can do that because the USA has started to split into mutually exclusive in- and out-groups, a form of tribalism or factionalism we more commonly associate with former colonial countries or regions like the Balkans and Northern Ireland. People move deliberately to homes and jobs in blue or red areas. Their children go to liberal or conservative schools, liberal or conservative churches, they watch liberal or conservative TV channels, there are even liberal or conservative employers. So what was once just a political divide starts to become a geographical and cultural one. How far that centrifugal force can keep going is unclear. Could it end up with civil war and actual partition, or fizzle out, or something in between?

We don't have that in the UK but I fear we have the beginnings of it. We have political echo chambers and social media bubbles. We now have quite defined political regions. Will liberal families start shunning regions where Reform are in power or right-wingers steer clear of woke metropolitan places? This pattern has always been there in British geography but I don't think it's ever happened through positive decision making (at least outside NI), it's simply been a dependent variable of socio-economic patterns. We've had it in ethnic and national groups, as happens everywhere, but not in political leanings.
  • Options
    https://x.com/MorgothsReview/status/1803404676987039817

Just stop oil spray paint Stonehenge.
    That pisses me off more than their other antics. Not sure why.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,024

https://x.com/nigel_farage/status/1803410012615680244?s=46

This polling shows Reform will win seats at the election.

I think many people are going to be surprised on July 4th.

If you vote Reform, you get Reform.

I really really think today’s YouGov MRP might be a stunner.

It is really quite concerning just how caught up in the Westminster Bubble so many Tory MPs have been.

It has been obvious that Sunak is useless at politics for several years, and yet they've continued to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Not being sufficiently right wing is going to cost them scores of seats!
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 366
    Nigelb said:

kjh said:

Here it's just the self-effacing dead ?
    Good catch but I think you should be impressed a fictional and presumably extinct dinosaur is capable of communicating at all, never mind grammar and words and all that
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

If you really want to be a professional writer, stop moaning on PB. stop staring at the drizzle in Aberdeen, get off your sessile butt and go and DO SOMETHING - there is no substitute for actual life and experience - the more extreme the better, in general

That's honest advice!
    But most of all, if you want to follow Leon's example, don't do a bloody thing except trying to provoke people into responding to you on this site.

I suppose I have to admit he succeeded in provoking me this time.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,108

Chris Sutton's prediction on the Netherlands v France match is hysterical about his own broken nose with a dollop of near legendary modesty

We are waiting to see if Kylian Mbappe plays with his broken nose. I am no medical expert - I can't be an expert at everything - but my diagnosis is that it probably comes down to how sore it is.

Patrick Vieira broke my nose once – he elbowed me off the ball at a corner when I was playing for Blackburn in 1998. I went down and when I looked up he was laughing at me while my eyes were pouring with water.

Then I tried to take retribution by going in two-footed on him, missed… and got a straight red card. As I got up, I saw the ref waving the red card at me and Emmanuel Petit pushed me over and I landed on my nose again. It was a terrible few minutes for me.

I reckon I would have been able to play with my broken nose, but not that particular day because I was sent off.

As for the game? I just cannot see past France, really.

I quite liked the way the Netherlands played against Poland, but France will still probably edge past them. It is what they do.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/ce77k1x10e6o

Looking forward to a season of former Norwich striker Chris Sutton being as relentlessly positive about Ipswich as he was last season.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Nunu5 said:
    Well the dynamics may be somewhat similar.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,495
    David Herdson is correct. If Reform is plainly the rising party (and both Farage and Reform have better favourability ratings than Sunak and the Conservatives), many party activists will go over to them - because there would be no point to the Conservatives, any longer.
  • Options
    Nunu5 said:

https://x.com/MorgothsReview/status/1803404676987039817

Just stop oil spray paint Stonehenge.
    That pisses me off more than their other antics. Not sure why.

It's not JSO, it's Ed Davey's latest stunt. Turning the monolithic Tory Wessex orange.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,655
    Apologies if posted but the More in Common MRP will be out at 4 so we get to see 2 MRP comparisons today!
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,706
    edited June 19

textless-logo

An Unkindness of Ravens?
    A Murder of Crows?
    A Parliament of Rooks?

Presumably Rooks Books?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,492
    Just got my “Kier Starmer wants you to vote Reform” scare leaflet from the Tories
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,469
    edited June 19
    Nigelb said:

Another data point suggesting climate sensitivity to CO2 levels is quite a bit higher than the model we're basing policy on.

Continuous sterane and phytane δ13C record reveals a substantial pCO2 decline since the mid-Miocene
    Constraining the relationship between temperature and atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide (pCO2) is essential to model near-future climate. Here, we reconstruct pCO2 values over the past 15 million years (Myr), providing a series of analogues for possible near-future temperatures and pCO2, from a single continuous site (DSDP Site 467, California coast). We reconstruct pCO2 values using sterane and phytane, compounds that many phytoplankton produce and then become fossilised in sediment. From 15.0-0.3 Myr ago, our reconstructed pCO2 values steadily decline from 650 ± 150 to 280 ± 75 ppmv, mirroring global temperature decline. Using our new range of pCO2 values, we calculate average Earth system sensitivity and equilibrium climate sensitivity, resulting in 13.9 °C and 7.2 °C per doubling of pCO2, respectively. These values are significantly higher than IPCC global warming estimations, consistent or higher than some recent state-of-the-art climate models, and consistent with other proxy-based estimates...

If my vague understanding of that lot is correct, it looks like more warming is baked in as we're now at the CO2 levels of ~ 10 million years ago or so.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,697

Scott_xP said:

@Alex_Stafford
    It's one thing betraying your principles, but another to throw your friends under a bus. The population of the Ninth Circle has increased today.

https://x.com/Alex_Stafford/status/1803390948606452118

Who is he talking about?
    @Geri_E_L_Scott

Understand this is in reference to a letter delivered in constituencies from Natalie Elphicke trashing the Rwanda scheme, criticising Rishi Sunak, and describing Keir Starmer as a “patriot”.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,947
    I was watching a recent Bond movie the other day, and Tanner came on screen.

"My God, I thought, it's Ed Davey."
  • Options
    Nunu5 said:

kjh said:

Nunu5 said:
    Well the dynamics may be somewhat similar.
    That is what I thought.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,836
    Cicero said:

textless-logo

An Unkindness of Ravens?
    A Parliament of Rooks?
    A Murder of Crows?

I was going for Corvid 19 but couldn’t find the other 16 crows in the picture.
  • Options
    edited June 19
    That Clacton poll is approximately 2015 with a 10% further swing Con to Lab.... which JUST FOR FUN would give us a 40 27 result...........
  • Options

kjh said:

Yep, been there done that. Well not died obviously, but been involved in elections where a candidate has died.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,899
    Good afternoon. Someone, I think @Andy_JS was saying this morning that Labour have been sliding, and this was @Leon’s argument a few days ago.

And so it seemed.

Yet, in the most recent 4 opinion polls their vote share has gone up in three and stayed the same in one. They haven’t been below 40% in the last 10 opinion polls.

I write this because I’m genuinely surprised. What will happen with the YouGov MRP, which last had them on 37%? And how fresh will their data be? As @TSE has pointed out, last time their MRPs deteriorated in reliability the closer to the vote we came.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,291

It's time for Labour to adopt LD tactics, reference this swing and appeal to Clacton Tories for their vote. "Only Labour can stop Farage."
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,325
    edited June 19

I am increasingly confident that the LibDems are going to come second. There are decreasing numbers of polls keeping them in 3 digits, and even those show that they are just about clinging onto a stack of seats. Expect the tactical vote to doom them in those as well.

What's your genie's plan for dealing with the SNP candidate?
    He's crowing about how the SNP Manifesto makes it clear that the GE is a vote for independence.

Not only is this absurd, it shows how SNP MPs will behave at Westminster. Forget about working cross party and cross government as I am proposing, he will shout at all the evil unionists who don;'t give Scotland independence now.

We need an MP who gets things done. The Tories have failed. The SNP don't care about investment or public services, its just independence. Or make your voices heard and vote for a fair deal with the LibDems...
    Rather reminiscent of the election campaign speeches in the Jeeves or the Gervase Fen novels (and none the worse for it). In the latter of which the Professor suddenly finds himself no longer the outsider but the front-runner.
  • Options
    The Clacton projection isn't that surprising, it was the only seat UKIP won at the 2015 general election.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

It's time for Labour to adopt LD tactics, reference this swing and appeal to Clacton Tories for their vote. "Only Labour can stop Farage."
    Is it obvious Labour would prefer Farage not to be an MP?
  • Options

Apologies if posted but the More in Common MRP will be out at 4 so we get to see 2 MRP comparisons today!

Thanks, I wasn't aware of it.
  • Options
    edited June 19

Leon said:

You see, the post highlights your problem. It's not about Ukraine. It's not about Putin. It's about you. "watched from my hotel balcony as he tried to drone me to death".

Yes, Putin was personally targeting you.

You don't travel to observe; you don't travel to learn. You travel to brag. To boast.

And no thoughts for the people who have been hurt in these attacks. Because it's about you.
    Have you been to Ukraine @JosiasJessop?

Have you been there to report on the situation so that people back in the west understand the dire state of affairs, the bombs and missiles and endless power cuts, because you yourself experienced it, alongside them?

No. You haven’t. Because you are apparently a house husband who stays at home to look after the “little un” who must by now be the biggest “little un” in the history of reproduction, and is probably wondering why he looks so much like the Ocado delivery driver
  • Options
    Cicero said:

textless-logo

An Unkindness of Ravens?
    A Murder of Crows?
    A Parliament of Rooks?

Presumably Rooks Books?
    A parliament of books...
  • Options
    Talking of Ukraine and those brave enough to go to an actual war to do their job of reporting, we haven’t heard from @duraace in quite a while

Earlier this year he was talking of going to Kharkiv. If he has done so I sincerely hope he is ok
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

That's honest advice!
    I don't want to be a professional writer
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,899
    edited June 19
    Leon said:

Leon said:

lol

Right I can't spend all day chatting with cowering peacenicks, yellowbellies and chicken-shit armchair warriors, I have things to do. Like: stuff myself with oysters and Sancerre at Sheekey's with my friend the SAS veteran who has also been to Ukraine, we're gonna talk about WAR

Why do you come on here and slag everyone off? You’re not better than we are. There are people on board here who have led such interesting lives, done amazing things, held down challenging careers. Some of them have also succeeded in probably the greatest challenge: they have been great mums and dads, husbands and wives, and carers of people.

Decent people from all walks of life who present a rich kaleidoscope to this forum.

I don’t want to return your invective but you really aren’t better than most people on this forum. You’re a lot worse.
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 424
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

lol

Why do you come on here and slag everyone off? You’re not better than we are. There are people on board here who have led such interesting lives, done amazing things, held down challenging careers. Some of them have also succeeded in probably the greatest challenge: they have been great mums and dads, husbands and wives, and carers of people.

Decent people from all walks of life who present a rich kaleidoscope to this forum.

I don’t want to return your invective but you really aren’t better than most people on this forum. You’re a lot worse.
    He reminds me of Arnold Rimmer, BSC, SSC.
  • Options
    Every MRP is giving different results, but it would be interesting to average them all out and see if that approximates the final result, a bit like using polling averages with normal polls.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cicero said:

textless-logo

An Unkindness of Ravens?
    A Murder of Crows?
    A Parliament of Rooks?

Presumably Rooks Books?
    A parliament of books...
    Book Horde is also possible.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

lol

Jeez. And I was quite nice about you yesterday
  • Options
    edited June 19
    If it also sells magazines it could be called "Raven Mag".
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

lol

Why do you come on here and slag everyone off?
    He enjoys confrontation, of course.

If we're not prepared (for example) to take seriously enough the risible Farage, and won't debate his threadbare prospectus, then swapping insults is next best thing.

Or perhaps is actually better.
  • Options

It would appear that I now have interviews with BBC and Sky News lined up tomorrow…

Oooh. We need to watch!

Timing?
  • Options
    The last more in Common MRP had 43 29 as the headline figures (highest Tory share of the campaign), their latest has it 41 25, so will be interesting to see both figures (and if once again MRP exceeds regular poll) and what it does to the almost now fanciful 180 seats for Tories!
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,108
    Andy_JS said:

Every MRP is giving different results, but it would be interesting to average them all out and see if that approximates the final result, a bit like using polling averages with normal polls.

I was initially dismissive but then, well, why not? It would certainly be interesting.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,291
    I'm just off to post a couple of Envelope Bs.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

If it also sells magazines it could be called "Raven Mag".

I think that's a raven on the gate: are they the ravens of Odin? Thought and Memory. Unless the gate is part of the rebus.
  • Options
    edited June 19

It would appear that I now have interviews with BBC and Sky News lined up tomorrow…

The big Mo is on.

I'm on at 100/1.

(Well, 99/1, actually.)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,249

Can you hire a motor home by tomorrow?

Getting interviewed in front of one would be top LOLZ.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,398

Start looking at flats in Pimlico...
  • Options
    There are too many polls. They're spoiling the surprise on election day. And way too many MRPs, which seem designed to fuck up tactical voting.
  • Options

Bit old, that joke. He really needs some copulating farm animals for the total SLD experience.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Bit old, that joke. He really needs some copulating farm animals for the total SLD experience.
    It’s not old, it’s funny as hell.
  • Options
    For those still thinking about the shop name, here's a cryptic crossword clue. Not necessarily a great one, but it's my best effort.

Teach word or broken path to rejoice (3,4,4)

Remember, it's the title of a novel by a British author. Not that Tom Knox guy though, couldn't get permission.
  • Options
    Chris said:

mwadams said:

Is it obvious Labour would prefer Farage not to be an MP?
    Some people on here think Labour would prefer to have the Tories on around 90-100 seats, so they can be a weakened opposition, but potentially stave off Reform.

I think ideally Labour would much prefer Lib Dems as the opposition and Reform and the Tories 3rd/4th in whichever order. Infighting on the right may make it harder for them on 2029, and if the LDs are 2nd place, it might make it easier for them to get closer alignment with the EU for example which the Labour front bench probably wish they could make electorally palatable.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,556
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

If my vague understanding of that lot is correct, it looks like more warming is baked in as we're now at the CO2 levels of ~ 10 million years ago or so.
    We need to litter the planet with CCUS plants quickly, IMHO, and use carbon taxes to pay for it. Create a market.

Only credible way to do it IMHO.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,033

Has the SNP candidate been caught inflagrante with a goat yet?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,492
    Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

HUZZAH

Rarely has there been a mind more in need of being focused, than yours.

• Options
    https://x.com/uklabour/status/1803427796536139815?s=46

PPB with Gary Neville from Labour tonight?
  • Options

https://x.com/uklabour/status/1803427796536139815?s=46

PPB with Gary Neville from Labour tonight?

Rachel Reeves will manage the economy as well as Gary Neville managed Valencia.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,200
    Sometimes Twitter's "trending topics" just sum it all up perfectly