Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

By 32% to 26% Brits think Ed Davey would be a better PM than Rishi Sunak – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,849
edited June 19 in General
imageBy 32% to 26% more Brits think Ed Davey would be a better PM than Rishi Sunak – politicalbetting.com

More Britons think Ed Davey would be a better PM than Rishi Sunak in our prime ministerial head-to-headsEd Davey: 32%Rishi Sunak: 26%Keir Starmer: 41%Rishi Sunak: 21%Rishi Sunak: 38%Nigel Farage: 25%Keir Starmer: 40%Ed Davey: 14%Keir Starmer: 50%Nigel Farage: 25%… pic.twitter.com/ol1X4SvSug

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 583
    Unsurprisingly
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,233
    edited June 19
    FPT

MattW said:

Just an aside, but it absolutely pissed it down in Yorkshire yesterday. Hours of incredibly heavy rain. Must've been plenty of flooding. Horrendous stuff. Unlikely, but if it recurs on polling day that could affect things a lot.

Don't worry about it, my Yorkshire grandma always told me

If on St Alena's day it pisses with rain
    On St Elizabeth of Aragon's day you'll see the sun plain

Plus the less waterproof will have postal voted. The ebikers will stay at home, apparently the motors can't take UK weather, which will hit the lib Dems.
    Heh !

As an owner of 3 pedelecs, that last is one of my candidates for the next diversionary excuse to be adopted by argument-sparse PFAFFERs * on twitter, and the thicker or more dishonest journos in the Telegraph and Spectator, in between knee jerks. I wouldn't drive it through a flood; normal weather is no problem.

I'd love to hear some examples of people who chose not to vote for that reason :smile: .

For some time now, it has "but no one cycles in the rain" alongside "but road tax" and "but insurance" etc, forgetting that they themselves put a coat on when they take the dog for a walk in November.

* Pfaffers: People Focussed on Autos, Football or Flags, often all three.
    Not making it up

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/article/2024/jun/15/the-big-problem-is-water-uk-ebike-owners-plagued-by-failing-motors
    You see I really need to think about transitioning to an EBike in the next few years when my trusty Carrera Crossfire should get its carriage clock, and picture of a spitfire, but this thing (and the huge cost for a bike with a battery) puts me off somewhat.

Would really like to consider a move to electric though, or pedal assist to be precise.

There was a company that did strap on electric motors but they had a terrible reputation so that's a no.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,071

Unsurprisingly

A lot of people just don't like Tories.
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 515
    Still bullish on the Lib Dems to come second in seats and I think they’re still value on the ‘Most seats without Labour’ market at the prices quoted.
  • Options
    Well the country put Boris into number 10, he was a clown. So it is hardly a surprise people would go for another clown over the incumbent.

How dire politics is today.

I Suspect Alan Bates and the Postmasters may have a different view :lol:

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Unsurprisingly

Well they have hardly endeared themselves to the nation these last few years.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,920
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

UK children shorter, fatter and sicker amid poor diet and poverty, report finds
    Food Foundation says height of five-year-olds falling, child obesity up by a third and type 2 diabetes by a fifth
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/article/2024/jun/19/uk-children-shorter-fatter-and-sicker-amid-poor-diet-and-poverty-report-finds

Pretty appalling figures.

...The report comes after the Guardian revealed ministers were told they were putting children at lifelong risk of ill health after shelving policies to tackle obesity and junk food until 2025.

Michael Marmot, the director of UCL’s institute of health equity, said the new report spotlighted a dramatic worsening in children’s health in the last decade.

“We used to think of the combination of undernutrition and obesity as a feature of low and middle income countries. We are now seeing it in Britain in 2024.”

“Over a century of history has led us to expect continuous improvements in health. Over the last dozen years that has changed. Healthy life expectancy has declined. Quite simply, people’s fundamental human needs are not being met.”

The Food Foundation report, which included a new analysis of data from government and health sources, spotlighted the rapidly deteriorating state of children’s health.

The height of five-year-olds in the UK has been falling since 2013 and children are also shorter than those in almost all other comparable countries, the report said.

Obesity levels among 10 and 11-year-olds in England have increased by 30% since 2006, with one in five children already officially obese by the time they leave primary school, researchers found.

Cases of type 2 diabetes, which is linked to obesity, have risen by 22% among those aged under 25 in England and Wales in the last five years, the study added...

What are the "fundamental human needs" that aren't being met?
    In the 1960s we were loads poorer than now. How did we manage, without foodbanks, to have a better fed population (especially children) than in 2024?
    Changes in the type of available, cheap food, I suspect.
    Processed food wasn't as large a category; most homes lacked fridge/freezers; there were no microwaves. So a much larger proportion of food was cooked from fresh ingredients.

Changes in school meal provision - the 1980 Education Act abolished minimum nutritional standards for school meals, and removed the requirement for universal provision.

It doesn't mean kids didn't go hungry back then - some clearly did - but what food was available was de facto healthier, rather than a healthy diet being a matter of choice in food selection.

Off the top of my head, but probably some truth in the above.

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,850
    Taz said:

FPT

MattW said:

Just an aside, but it absolutely pissed it down in Yorkshire yesterday. Hours of incredibly heavy rain. Must've been plenty of flooding. Horrendous stuff. Unlikely, but if it recurs on polling day that could affect things a lot.

Plus the less waterproof will have postal voted. The ebikers will stay at home, apparently the motors can't take UK weather, which will hit the lib Dems.
    Heh !

As an owner of 3 pedelecs, that last is one of my candidates for the next diversionary excuse to be adopted by argument-sparse PFAFFERs * on twitter, and the thicker or more dishonest journos in the Telegraph and Spectator, in between knee jerks. I wouldn't drive it through a flood; normal weather is no problem.

I'd love to hear some examples of people who chose not to vote for that reason :smile: .

For some time now, it has "but no one cycles in the rain" alongside "but road tax" and "but insurance" etc, forgetting that they themselves put a coat on when they take the dog for a walk in November.

Not making it up

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/article/2024/jun/15/the-big-problem-is-water-uk-ebike-owners-plagued-by-failing-motors
    You see I really need to think about transitioning to an EBike in the next few years when my trusty Carrera Crossfire should get its carriage clock, and picture of a spitfire, but this thing (and the huge cost for a bike with a battery) puts me off somewhat.

Would really like to consider a move to electric though, or pedal assist to be precise.

There was a company that did strap on electric motors but they had a terrible reputation so that's a no.
    That's a weird story about water. E-bikes are everywhere in SE Asia (or other small e vehicles), and that's hardly the driest part of the world.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,325
    Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Food Foundation says height of five-year-olds falling, child obesity up by a third and type 2 diabetes by a fifth
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/article/2024/jun/19/uk-children-shorter-fatter-and-sicker-amid-poor-diet-and-poverty-report-finds

...The report comes after the Guardian revealed ministers were told they were putting children at lifelong risk of ill health after shelving policies to tackle obesity and junk food until 2025.

Michael Marmot, the director of UCL’s institute of health equity, said the new report spotlighted a dramatic worsening in children’s health in the last decade.

“We used to think of the combination of undernutrition and obesity as a feature of low and middle income countries. We are now seeing it in Britain in 2024.”

“Over a century of history has led us to expect continuous improvements in health. Over the last dozen years that has changed. Healthy life expectancy has declined. Quite simply, people’s fundamental human needs are not being met.”

The Food Foundation report, which included a new analysis of data from government and health sources, spotlighted the rapidly deteriorating state of children’s health.

The height of five-year-olds in the UK has been falling since 2013 and children are also shorter than those in almost all other comparable countries, the report said.

Obesity levels among 10 and 11-year-olds in England have increased by 30% since 2006, with one in five children already officially obese by the time they leave primary school, researchers found.

Cases of type 2 diabetes, which is linked to obesity, have risen by 22% among those aged under 25 in England and Wales in the last five years, the study added...

In the 1960s we were loads poorer than now. How did we manage, without foodbanks, to have a better fed population (especially children) than in 2024?
    Processed food wasn't as large a category; most homes lacked fridge/freezers; there were no microwaves. So a much larger proportion of food was cooked from fresh ingredients.

Changes in school meal provision - the 1980 Education Act abolished minimum nutritional standards for school meals, and removed the requirement for universal provision.

It doesn't mean kids didn't go hungry back then - some clearly did - but what food was available was de facto healthier, rather than a healthy diet being a matter of choice in food selection.

I had not known about the 1980 Act. Extraordinary thing to do.
  • Options
    edited June 19
    O/T

Interesting news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cq55x87nqnzo

"An Old Bailey jury has been discharged in the case of Constance Marten and Mark Gordon after being unable to reach verdicts. Ms Marten, 37, and Mr Gordon, 50, denied manslaughter by gross negligence of their baby Victoria. Their newborn girl's body was found inside a shopping bag in a shed in Brighton on 1 March 2023. On Wednesday, the Judge Mark Lucraft KC thanked jurors for their "extraordinary" public service and the "dedication" they have shown in the case. He said they had shown “truly exceptional examples of dedication to public service”, and was conscious they had put their other lives on hold. The judge added that he would be excusing them from jury service for the rest of their lives."
  • Options
    Reminder that this afternoon is the deadline to apply for a postal vote if you need one.

You've got about four hours.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,469
    Looks like the Tories might be in a spot of bother come polling day.
  • Options
    https://x.com/steven_swinford/status/1803387881735516293?s=46

Exclusive from @MaxKendix

Rishi Sunak's hyper-defensive election strategy in numbers:

* The prime minister has spent the election campaign visiting seats with an average majority of 11,894

* Over the past 10 days that average has increased to **14,317**

* One in five of the seats he has visited have majorities of more than 20,000

* Just under half of his visit are to seats with 15,000 majorities
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,206
    Polling that is interesting but ultimately useless. Among the right most 35% of the electorate Farage would romp home over Sunak (as we know from Tory member polling).
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 315
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c51104g80zeo.amp

Labour candidate for Derby South voted out of council leader job
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 1,003
    Eabhal said:

Taz said:

FPT

MattW said:

Heh !

Not making it up

That's a weird story about water. E-bikes are everywhere in SE Asia (or other small e vehicles), and that's hardly the driest part of the world.
    Mmm, these days it can be hard to tell if there's a systemic problem, or if it's just that it's now easy for the 0.1% of unlucky buyers who got a lemon to talk to each other about it online and for the rest of us to read a long forum thread where everybody is reporting that they have this problem too...
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,291

* The prime minister has spent the election campaign visiting seats with an average majority of 11,894

Has the PM visited any seats without a Conservative MP?
  • Options
    Taz said:

FPT

MattW said:

Heh !

Not making it up

One of my friends got an e-bike for his commute and it is just an attachment to the bike - it works really well.

As an aside e-bikes and scooters are absolute god-sends in terms of improving connectivity, a lime bike takes about 35% off my commute, and even just to the train station it takes off 10, which has meant places are much more accessible. Being able to get an e-bike home when I have a big shop has meant I've been able to get rid of my car.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,091
    Taz said:

Well the country put Boris into number 10, he was a clown. So it is hardly a surprise people would go for another clown over the incumbent.

Do they have a view on the cascade of Tory ministers who failed to do anything about the increasingly obvious issues with the PO after 2015 and until extremely recently? Or just Davey because that’s the meme the right wing press have managed to insuinuate into the collective mind?

If Boris’ clowning had been clearly linked to announcements on relevant policy positions on a tour of target seats, rather than him just enjoying playing the clown, then perhaps the analogy would work.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,450
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Interesting news.

"An Old Bailey jury has been discharged in the case of Constance Marten and Mark Gordon after being unable to reach verdicts. Ms Marten, 37, and Mr Gordon, 50, denied manslaughter by gross negligence of their baby Victoria. Their newborn girl's body was found inside a shopping bag in a shed in Brighton on 1 March 2023. On Wednesday, the Judge Mark Lucraft KC thanked jurors for their "extraordinary" public service and the "dedication" they have shown in the case. He said they had shown “truly exceptional examples of dedication to public service”, and was conscious they had put their other lives on hold. The judge added that he would be excusing them from jury service for the rest of their lives."

Still sub judice - they have been neither acquitted not convicted and remain charged.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Interesting news.

Still sub judice - they have been neither acquitted not convicted and remain charged.
    Yes, we'd better just stick to reporting the facts.
  • Options
    edited June 19
    Chameleon said:

Polling that is interesting but ultimately useless. Among the right most 35% of the electorate Farage would romp home over Sunak (as we know from Tory member polling).

And as we know from the trusty BBC with its totally representative vox pops and QT guests, the rightmost 35% of the electorate is the only one that matters, and is in fact “the people”. The other 65% are out of touch metropolitan chai latte drinkers.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,446
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Thatcher innit.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,697
    mwadams said:

Has the PM visited any seats without a Conservative MP?
    Do you mean before or after the vote?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,554
    pm215 said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

FPT

MattW said:

Heh !

Not making it up

Mmm, these days it can be hard to tell if there's a systemic problem, or if it's just that it's now easy for the 0.1% of unlucky buyers who got a lemon to talk to each other about it online and for the rest of us to read a long forum thread where everybody is reporting that they have this problem too...
    It will be interesting to see if food delivery workers, who do use e-bikes in all weathers, make the same complaints, or if it is mainly people who are afraid of rain because they've heard the stories.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,174
    I am increasingly confident that the LibDems are going to come second. There are decreasing numbers of polls keeping them in 3 digits, and even those show that they are just about clinging onto a stack of seats. Expect the tactical vote to doom them in those as well.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,194
    Blimey, the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune keep coming for poor Rishi. If he wasn't such an arrogant bugger I would be feeling sorry for him by now.

But Ed Davey a better PM? That's gotta hurt.
  • Options
    Does it mean much?
    A bucket of sick would poll higher than the PM.
  • Options

Be interesting to see if Labour's key seats its senior people have visiting has changed too.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Fried food was probably more common back in the day. Fish and chip shops were everywhere, and used animal fat not oil like today, and frying at home was so common that the government used to run television adverts about chip pan fires. And yet we were mostly slimmer.

But remember too children were smaller than now, and in today's report and the last thread, that was taken as a sign of malnutrition.

Basically, it is complicated and I'm automatically suspicious of reports from people who can't tell a confounding variable from their elbow.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,838

Off topic, saw a interesting FB post pointing out that the best F1 drivers are all named after places in Scotland: Lewis Hamilton, Eddie Irvine, Stirling Moss and Ayr Toon Centre.

I'll leave the partisans to decide who is Twatt.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Taz said:

Do they have a view on the cascade of Tory ministers who failed to do anything about the increasingly obvious issues with the PO after 2015 and until extremely recently? Or just Davey because that’s the meme the right wing press have managed to insuinuate into the collective mind?

Please feel free to ask them. I am sure they have.

Laura K savaged him on Sunday on her politics show about it and he looked very very uncomfortable and she is hardly right wing. Her Father was a donor to the Labour Party.
  • Options

I am increasingly confident that the LibDems are going to come second. There are decreasing numbers of polls keeping them in 3 digits, and even those show that they are just about clinging onto a stack of seats. Expect the tactical vote to doom them in those as well.

Glad to see you also think this given your superior knowledge!

Lib Dems are now 4.9 on ‘Most seats without Labour’ which feels high indeed. The implied probability of that is about 20% and it feels much more like 35-45% at least in my head.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Taz said:

FPT

MattW said:

Heh !

Not making it up

Kuala Lumpur, as lovely as it is, certainly wasn't when I was there earlier in the year.

But as a pedal cyclist looking to switch over you can see why these stories and reports of £700 to replace the battery or motor (sorry, cannot remember which) would be a concern.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Be interesting to see if Labour's key seats its senior people have visiting has changed too.
    There’s been a lot of tweets about how Labour have been telling activists recently to go elsewhere and flock to previously ‘unwinnable’ seats
  • Options
    So remember, children: snap judgements about Salisbury are mandatory else you will be slung out of the Labour Party but be sceptical about news of dead linguistics professors and bar fights at the Euros.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,333
    Objectively hilarious that Sunak trounces Farage!
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,200
    pm215 said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

FPT

MattW said:

Heh !

Not making it up

It appears to be specific to the latest Bosch Performance Line CX motor. So it's no more a generic problem with ebikes than an issue with a particular Fiat engine would be a generic problem with cars.

We have a Bosch Cargo Line motor in our Tern GSD - I have got it very wet on occasions and it's ploughed on regardless.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,249
    Chris Sutton's prediction on the Netherlands v France match is hysterical about his own broken nose with a dollop of near legendary modesty

We are waiting to see if Kylian Mbappe plays with his broken nose. I am no medical expert - I can't be an expert at everything - but my diagnosis is that it probably comes down to how sore it is.

Patrick Vieira broke my nose once – he elbowed me off the ball at a corner when I was playing for Blackburn in 1998. I went down and when I looked up he was laughing at me while my eyes were pouring with water.

Then I tried to take retribution by going in two-footed on him, missed… and got a straight red card. As I got up, I saw the ref waving the red card at me and Emmanuel Petit pushed me over and I landed on my nose again. It was a terrible few minutes for me.

I reckon I would have been able to play with my broken nose, but not that particular day because I was sent off.

As for the game? I just cannot see past France, really.

I quite liked the way the Netherlands played against Poland, but France will still probably edge past them. It is what they do.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/ce77k1x10e6o
  • Options
    NovoNovo Posts: 60
    My wife and I both voting for the Lib Dems in Harborough Oadby & Wigston today with our postal votes.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,469

It's a landslide for Sunak amongst people who wouldn't ever vote for him or Farage.
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 366
    edited June 19

If you're confident in this then there is a "Lib Dems 50up" market on the spreads, which is basically like buying a call with a strike of 50 seats, so a limited loss if you're catastrophically wrong. Currently 11 offered.

I though have sold 56 seats on the outright market...
  • Options

Off topic, saw a interesting FB post pointing out that the best F1 drivers are all named after places in Scotland: Lewis Hamilton, Eddie Irvine, Stirling Moss and Ayr Toon Centre.

I'll leave the partisans to decide who is Twatt.
    Nothing partisan about saying Max Verstappen is Twatt.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,697
    @Alex_Stafford
    It's one thing betraying your principles, but another to throw your friends under a bus. The population of the Ninth Circle has increased today.

https://x.com/Alex_Stafford/status/1803390948606452118
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 366
    Anyone got any interesting opportunities? I can't see anything I don't already have but am also too busy to go combing through every market and bookie!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,600

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

Thatcher innit.
    I remember it well. I wrote a satirical piece for the school magazine about it.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,446

Starmer beats Farage by 2:1 in a head to head, too. PB extremely right wing people please explain!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Interesting news.

Excusing them from jury service for the rest of their lives sounds generous but I have never been summoned. Would it not be fairer if everyone only had to do it once, or at least was only liable to do a second lot if no first timers available?

• Options
    https://x.com/TiceRichard/status/1803390678434525654

Muslim entrepreneur gives Reform money, saying migrants are affronted by channel crossings.

This is very true, there is a sense of that is not fair
  • Options
    Just a reminder to everyone that the current Govt have the highest tax rate in 70 years and will need to raise taxes by £3000 to fund their manifesto, at least £1000 more than Lab.

That is why the tax line isn't moving the polls. Lab will probably raise taxes - the Cons will absolutely certainly raise taxes. They are the high tax party - you just don't get to see any benefit for that spending
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

The first Thatcher government made a lot of hard choices.
    Whether some were unjustified is clearly still strenuously disputed.
    (This one is, for me, very clearly a bad choice.)

What's not really discussed much is how many of the choices of all her administrations - often matters of the expediency of the moment - weren't revisited by her successors.

Blair/Brown are as much to blame for some of the continuing negatives of Thatcherism as she is herself.

(Note I regard her legacy as a deeply mixed one, rather than being entirely negative.)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,194

Is it your Labour candidate that has been dropped by the party? Heard it on the radio this morning.
  • Options

Starmer beats Farage by 2:1 in a head to head, too. PB extremely right wing people please explain!
    I'm still waiting for an explanation from Leon on why Sir Keir Starmer and Gareth Southgate are more popular than Nigel Farage.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@Alex_Stafford
    It's one thing betraying your principles, but another to throw your friends under a bus. The population of the Ninth Circle has increased today.

Who is he talking about?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 51,160
    edited June 19
    So the unwashed idiots have now decided to desecrate Stonehenge with orange paint, the day before the solstice.

Hope the judge sentences them to clean it off with a toothbrush.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,280
    Andy_JS said:

Unsurprisingly

Well they've not exactly covered themselves in glory over the past few years...
  • Options
    edited June 19
    Scott_xP said:

@Alex_Stafford

Alexander soon to be Staffordxmp presumably. Never heard of.
  • Options
    edited June 19

Anyone got any interesting opportunities? I can't see anything I don't already have but am also too busy to go combing through every market and bookie!

I am writing a piece on why the Lib Dems are best placed to win Aberdeenshire and Moray East.

The Tory candidate is the backstabber Douglas Ross whilst the Labour candidate has been disowned for being a bit extreme.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,333
    Nunu5 said:

Not the key point, but given the amount of “parachuting”, I’d bet there aren’t many seats with three sitting councillors from the same (relevant) local authority standing!
  • Options

Betting on the number of Conservative seats is out of line with the MRP projections.
  • Options
    Awful people. From Russia apparently.

"Don't blame us for people suffering - London hospital hackers"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ceddqglk7qgo
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,363
    Taz said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

Laura K savaged him on Sunday on her politics show about it and he looked very very uncomfortable and she is hardly right wing. Her Father was a donor to the Labour Party.
    Tom Hardy now that's bait gif
  • Options
    Taz said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

The divine Laura ?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Interesting news.

Excusing them from jury service for the rest of their lives sounds generous but I have never been summoned. Would it not be fairer if everyone only had to do it once, or at least was only liable to do a second lot if no first timers available?

Hard to say. Academics are not allowed to study juries properly so we are probably stuck. The most common report I've heard is called-up jurors spending three days sitting around reading a book before being sent home because they're not wanted. In this case, the trial lasted five months, which is a long time for jurors to "put their lives on hold" in the judge's words.
  • Options
    Novo said:

My wife and I both voting for the Lib Dems in Harborough Oadby & Wigston today with our postal votes.

Do you think they have a good chance of winning the constituency?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,992

Chris Sutton's prediction on the Netherlands v France match is hysterical about his own broken nose with a dollop of near legendary modesty

We are waiting to see if Kylian Mbappe plays with his broken nose. I am no medical expert - I can't be an expert at everything - but my diagnosis is that it probably comes down to how sore it is.

Patrick Vieira broke my nose once – he elbowed me off the ball at a corner when I was playing for Blackburn in 1998. I went down and when I looked up he was laughing at me while my eyes were pouring with water.

Then I tried to take retribution by going in two-footed on him, missed… and got a straight red card. As I got up, I saw the ref waving the red card at me and Emmanuel Petit pushed me over and I landed on my nose again. It was a terrible few minutes for me.

I reckon I would have been able to play with my broken nose, but not that particular day because I was sent off.

I quite liked the way the Netherlands played against Poland, but France will still probably edge past them. It is what they do.

Brilliant. If he means it to be funny.
  • Options
    Farage set to win Clacton ‘with biggest swing in modern history’

Reform UK leader on course to get 42% in the Essex seat, a new poll suggests

Nigel Farage is on course to win the Clacton seat with the biggest swing in modern electoral history, a new poll has suggested.

The survey, commissioned by Arron Banks, a former Ukip donor, suggests that Farage will win 42 per cent of the vote in Clacton in Essex. The Tories are forecast to win 27 per cent and Labour 24 per cent.

Survation, the company that carried out the survey, said the scale of the projected swing from the Tories to Labour would be “extremely rare” and “unprecedented in modern electoral history”.

The seat has been held by Giles Watling, a Conservative, since 2017. In 2019, when Boris Johnson put Brexit at the heart of his campaign, Watling secured a 24,702 majority with 72 per cent of the vote share.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/farage-set-to-win-clacton-with-biggest-swing-in-modern-history-5tzjsmtw6
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,478

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Interesting news.

Hard to say. Academics are not allowed to study juries properly so we are probably stuck. The most common report I've heard is called-up jurors spending three days sitting around reading a book before being sent home because they're not wanted. In this case, the trial lasted five months, which is a long time for jurors to "put their lives on hold" in the judge's words.
    The BBC said the jury had only deliberated for some 72 hours, but of course the trial has been going on, and off, since January.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Taz said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

The divine Laura ?
    Immaculate point.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,759

It too me a while to figure out if you meant the Lib Dems generally, or in your seat specifically... ;)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Brilliant. If he means it to be funny.
    Sounds as though he can't see past the end of his own nose, rather than France ?
  • Options
    NovoNovo Posts: 60
    Andy_JS said:

Novo said:

Do you think they have a good chance of winning the constituency?
    In,terms of recent 2023 local election results then, yes. Were 3rd in 2019 but a lot has happened since then and going back used to be a good second place. I have a £25 bet at 25-1!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,800
    edited June 19

MattW said:

Heh !

I'd love to hear some examples of people who chose not to vote for that reason :smile:

Not making it up

I wasn't implying you were making it up, and I've seen the reports - but they look fairly exceptional to me:

The problem appears to mainly affect those riding mountain bikes in all weathers, particularly in Wales and the UK’s other wettest areas, because they are not sealed properly against water ingress

TBF my pedelecs are 1) Gruber Assist, where the long thin motor is inside the seatpost, 2) Axon Rides E-folder (rear hub drive) and 3) Brompton Swytch Conversion (front hub drive),

1 is really well sealed and I have taken all kinds of places including torrential rain and flooded cycle paths on the IoW (over the lower pedal on a standard cycle, maybe 10-12cm deep) when cycling to Sandown from the ferry, and being forced to go over the hill due to floods, 2 and 3 are not for country-side hacking.

I'd expect potential problems with self-done conversions or maybe mud and flood plugging, and maybe deep fords.

But not on the way to vote ! :wink:

My current top tips are 1 - Get one early so you don't have to learn it whilst not fit, and 2 - consider one of these .

I bought one of these this spring, which is excellent for the money, and very nice and simple as a popping-around bike because it is single speed and comes with e-drive, lights and horn, and single-sided forks so punctures can be repaired on-bike. And a comfortable ride due to big tyres at lowish pressure. The only issue is that it does 15-20 miles assisted, and as a single speed you do not want to run out of battery.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/mp/axon-rides/axon-rides-pro-electric-folding-bike-dark-grey/
  • Options
    edited June 19
    Lennon said:

It too me a while to figure out if you meant the Lib Dems generally, or in your seat specifically... ;)
    And whose are the three digits (with which they'd be hard pressed to cling to a stack of seats) ?
  • Options
    Taz said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

If Davey gets proper savaged at the inquiry on 18 July his election jolly japery is going to look retrospectively very poor
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Is it your Labour candidate that has been dropped by the party? Heard it on the radio this morning.
    Yes
  • Options
    Taz said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

New political compass multiple choice test.

Do you think that Laura K is "hardly right wing"?

1. Quite so, her father was a Labour donor
    2. OK, maybe just a little bit right wing
    3. Is there a new meaning for the word "hardly"?

• Options

Nunu5 said:

Not the key point, but given the amount of “parachuting”, I’d bet there aren’t many seats with three sitting councillors from the same (relevant) local authority standing!
    It's not just parachuting that would result in that.

For incumbents, it's relatively uncommon though not unheard of for someone to double-hat as MP and councillor.

For challengers or new candidates in held seats, it isn't totally obvious that being a councillor is a help rather than a hinderance to your prospects. If you're running the Council, you might well have unpopular decisions pinned on you ("Ah, it's the person who doubled your parking charges and approved the new housing estate you don't like!") If you're not running the Council, it's relatively time consuming and not that high profile.

Add to that the fact that, in many areas of the country, there aren't three parties with councillors who'd make credible candidates. Even if three are represented to some extent, one well only may have a tiny handful of councillors who might be deeply committed to their little corner, but have no real interest in standing for Parliament, can't be bothered reading up on the national policy stuff to go for approval, would struggle to square it with work, are too "interesting" to be viable, or turn 90 next February.
  • Options

What's your genie's plan for dealing with the SNP candidate?
    He's crowing about how the SNP Manifesto makes it clear that the GE is a vote for independence.

Not only is this absurd, it shows how SNP MPs will behave at Westminster. Forget about working cross party and cross government as I am proposing, he will shout at all the evil unionists who don;'t give Scotland independence now.

We need an MP who gets things done. The Tories have failed. The SNP don't care about investment or public services, its just independence. Or make your voices heard and vote for a fair deal with the LibDems...
  • Options
    edited June 19
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Heh !

I'd love to hear some examples of people who chose not to vote for that reason :smile:

Not making it up

I wasn't implying you were making it up, and I've seen the reports - but they look fairly exceptional to me:

The problem appears to mainly affect those riding mountain bikes in all weathers, particularly in Wales and the UK’s other wettest areas, because they are not sealed properly against water ingress

TBF my pedelecs are 1) Gruber Assist, where the long thin motor is inside the seatpost, 2) Axon Rides E-folder (rear hub drive) and 3) Brompton Swytch Conversion (front hub drive),

1 is really well sealed and I have taken all kinds of places including torrential rain and flooded cycle paths on the IoW (over the lower pedal on a standard cycle, maybe 10-12cm deep) when cycling to Sandown from the ferry, and being forced to go over the hill due to floods, 2 and 3 are not for country-side hacking.

I'd expect potential problems with self-done conversions or maybe mud and flood plugging, and maybe deep fords.

My current top tips are 1 - Get one early so you don't have to learn it whilst not fit, and 2 - consider one of these .

I bought one of these this spring, which is excellent for the money, and very nice and simple as a popping-around bike because it is single speed and comes with e-drive, lights and horn, and single-sided forks so punctures can be repaired on-bike. And a comfortable ride due to big tyres at lowish pressure. The only issue is that it does 15-20 miles assisted, and as a single speed you do not want to run out of battery.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/mp/axon-rides/axon-rides-pro-electric-folding-bike-dark-grey/
    EDIT quote system malfunction. I start here:

I was joking and the point was the suggestion that ebike problems differentially affect lib Dems. In fact I think suggestions that weather conditions favour one party or another are bonkers. It's not like Scandinavian countries where elections have to be in summer or nobody can get to the polling station
  • Options

What's your genie's plan for dealing with the SNP candidate?
    He's crowing about how the SNP Manifesto makes it clear that the GE is a vote for independence.

Not only is this absurd, it shows how SNP MPs will behave at Westminster. Forget about working cross party and cross government as I am proposing, he will shout at all the evil unionists who don;'t give Scotland independence now.

We need an MP who gets things done. The Tories have failed. The SNP don't care about investment or public services, its just independence. Or make your voices heard and vote for a fair deal with the LibDems...
    I applaud PB PPBs.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,800
    edited June 19
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Heh !

Not making it up

Link borked.

I bought it on the basis that it was cheap enough to give up on after 3-4 years, and I have been pleasantly surprised - having done several hundred km so far.

If you consider it, you need the Pro (with hydraulic brakes) not the Pro Lite.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/mp/axon-rides/axon-rides-pro-electric-folding-bike-dark-grey/_/R-p-68064687-1342-4c6a-995d-9fa89d8e5570
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 50,173

Nigel Farage is on course to win the Clacton seat with the biggest swing in modern electoral history, a new poll has suggested.

The survey, commissioned by Arron Banks, a former Ukip donor, suggests that Farage will win 42 per cent of the vote in Clacton in Essex. The Tories are forecast to win 27 per cent and Labour 24 per cent.

Survation, the company that carried out the survey, said the scale of the projected swing from the Tories to Labour would be “extremely rare” and “unprecedented in modern electoral history”.

The seat has been held by Giles Watling, a Conservative, since 2017. In 2019, when Boris Johnson put Brexit at the heart of his campaign, Watling secured a 24,702 majority with 72 per cent of the vote share.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/farage-set-to-win-clacton-with-biggest-swing-in-modern-history-5tzjsmtw6

HUZZAH
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,767
    edited June 19
    Taz said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

Yes, because good daughters ALWAYS slavishly follow the political leanings of their fathers, for fear that thinking for themselves on such matters could lead to giddiness, hysteria, and a lifetime as a spinster. That goes as much for daughters who are senior political correspondents as anyone else.

I mean, I understand Liz Truss famously only became PM to please her rabidly Tory father...
  • Options

I'm still waiting for an explanation from Leon on why Sir Keir Starmer and Gareth Southgate are more popular than Nigel Farage.
    Britain is fucked, is my explanation
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,004

He'll no doubt attribute it to the fact that both Starmer and Southgate took the knee in support of BLM, while Farage didn't.
  • Options
    edited June 19
    TimS said:

Taz said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

She is professional. She may or may not be right wing personally but she is not professionally. She exhibits no right wing bias in what she does. She is not as good as Victoria Derbyshire when she filled in for her but that is a different matter.

This whole nonsense about her being a Tory plant/right winger started with deluded Corbynites being far from satisfied she was not North Korean in her level of deference to him.
  • Options

It doesn't matter who Green or LD voters prefer. As I said earlier all that matters for Farage is his popularity in the rightmost 35%.

E.g. in the cross tabs Farage wins 40-38 for 2019 Con, while Sunak wins 63-3 among 2019 LDs
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,986

It would be good to hear back from seats where the LDs would normally be challengers, but are not targets. Interesting feedback so far from @Nova and @LloydBanks. Hopefully the national party will be ensuring some national leaflets get their way (without being obviously targeting specific seats). We are a top target and I have only received one national leaflet so far.

@RochdalePioneers I see you are doing a cracking job of ensuring your competition is nobbled. Two more to go. Just remember if the Tory/SNP candidate falls under a steam roller the election is deferred and you don't win by default.
  • Options
    Leon said:

HUZZAH
    I cannot work out why you are applauding a party of Putin shills doing well.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,363
    Taz said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

She is professional. She may or may not be right wing personally but she is not professionally. She exhibits no right wing bias in what she does. She is not as good as Victoria Derbyshire when she filled in for her but that is a different matter.

This whole nonsense about her being a Tory plant/right winger started with deluded Corbynites being far from satisfied she was not North Korean in her level of deference to him.
    Christ, I'll have some of whatever you are on please.
  • Options
    edited June 19

Taz said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

If Davey gets proper savaged at the inquiry on 18 July his election jolly japery is going to look retrospectively very poor
    If he wears a wetsuit I’m sure Sir Jason will be entirely disarmed.
  • Options

Leon said:

HUZZAH
    Too much time on X ?

Someone should tell Leon series 4 of The Boys is out.
    He's clearly bored.
  • Options

For those keeping track, my bookshop will be changing its name tomorrow. New signage is coming today!
    As a final clue, here (hopefully) is the sign/logo with the name removed. See what you say...

textless-logo

Raven Books?
  • Options

Leon said:

HUZZAH
    To wind up PB?

It's not unknown