Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Tory Party’s long term problems – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

NEW: Sunak has begged voters to “find it in their hearts to forgive me” over his D-Day disaster...

PM trying to move on as he finally faces hacks after weekend of radio silence....

@ryansabey

I’m afraid if you duck out of PM duties to do a self serving interview, the public should show you no mercy.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,378
    Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

NEW: Sunak has begged voters to “find it in their hearts to forgive me” over his D-Day disaster...

PM trying to move on as he finally faces hacks after weekend of radio silence....

@ryansabey

Is he looking for voters to show him some mercy? Just asking.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    edited June 10
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Jonathan said:

Conservatives need to take on and defeat the populist right, else they die. It’s quite simple.

Unquestionably and incontrovertibly true.

But it’s delicious that the headbangers, with representatives on here, are oblivious to this. (e.g. @Leon @Luckyguy1983 )

Why such glee? Because the longer they stay out on the Right, the longer they stay out of power. @TSE gets this. Pity others of you don’t.

You win power in the UK by winning the centre. We are NOT an extremist country. We don’t like rabble rousers. We don’t like right-wing or left-wing extreme ideologies.

What tends to happen is that when a Party loses power it then lurches to the Left or the Right … and goes on losing and losing and losing until the boneheads are booted out and common sense prevails.

Don’t yer know yer history?
    Normally UK elections are won in the centre but that is not always true.

Churchill was more centrist than Attlee in 1945 and 1950 for instance. Heath was more centrist than Wilson in 1966 and 1974.

Callaghan was more centrist than Thatcher in 1979 as well

No hang on. I didn’t say just because you are in the centre you will win. I said that you won’t win on the extremes.

In fact, my reading of it is that Thatcher was centrist in 1979. The reason Callaghan lost was the Winter of Discontent, being held to ransom by the unions, and Dennis Healey bankrupting Britain. All Mrs T was saying in 1979 was that it was time for common sense and a ‘housewife’s’ approach to finance.

Remember, Mrs Thatcher only won a 42 seat majority in 1979. It wasn’t until Michael Foot lurched the Labour Party to the extreme Left that she won a c. 140 seat landslide in 1983.
  • Isn't it odd that when Leon disappears, suddenly Heathener starts posting. Just another one of Leon's many sock puppets.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Eabhal said:

DEATH PENALTY KLAXON (maybe)

https://x.com/RishiSunak/status/1800090853387677781

First on the chopping block... Just Stop Oil?

That really would be the game changer they are looking for (against Labour). Isn't Nigel already an enthusiastic hangers and flogger?
    Give it a rest.

And no, Farage opposes the death penalty.
    I didn't explain why it might be a game changer so why don't you just ignore my posts. I ignore yours although your more enlightened ones go some thing like "..." and I quite like them.
    You don’t ignore my posts, you respond to them, as above.

I’m interested, what’s your prediction for the election? Are you standing by your forecast of Sunak “doing a Major” 1992-style?
    The evidence points to a Labour win, particularly with the return of Farage. I am not sure whether that is a hung Parliament, a small
    or a larger majority. Landslides and Tory collapse are out of the question. It looked like Labour most seats in 1992, so there should always be doubt.

Now leave me alone.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Heathener said:

Jonathan said:

Conservatives need to take on and defeat the populist right, else they die. It’s quite simple.

But it’s delicious that the headbangers, with representatives on here, are oblivious to this. (e.g. @Leon @Luckyguy1983 )

Why such glee? Because the longer they stay out on the Right, the longer they stay out of power. @TSE gets this. Pity others of you don’t.

You win power in the UK by winning the centre. We are NOT an extremist country. We don’t like rabble rousers. We don’t like right-wing or left-wing extreme ideologies.

What tends to happen is that when a Party loses power it then lurches to the Left or the Right … and goes on losing and losing and losing until the boneheads are booted out and common sense prevails.

Yes, we voted for Brexit, the most populist right move EVAH

WE LAID THAT FUCKER DOWN
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,541
    Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

@ryansabey

Much more likely that they will show him no mercy.

I mean, I don't want to pick at the pustulent sore of "Rishi isn't British enough" (because it's both nasty and rubbish), but there is a huge slice of the Christian message about the importance of showing mercy so that you can have mercy shown to you.
    Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Or, merge with them. That could work, too
    It really won't. Farage is loathed by too many erstwhile Conservatives.
    But they are erstwhile, who cares?

I agree on the narrow point of Farage, he is probably disliked by too many, he is very Marmite. I cannot see a successful Tory-Reform party led by him, it would have to be a Tory and he'd be second in command
    It's the erstwhility of erstwhile Conservatives that's their current electoral predicament.
    Strange but likeable word, "erstwhile". Feels like some incredible survival from Beowulf. Like happening on an Anglo-Saxon chapel in Newent
    It's an odd example of a word firmly rooted in Old English sounding elevated. Much of our vulgar/refined distinctions map to Germanic/Latin origins. Lord/liege, body/corpus, snake/serpent, woods/forest. Erstwhile/previous bucks that trend.
    Erstwhile/quondam ?

Well, there's elevated, and then there's obscured above the clouds. I doubt I'm alone in not knowing that word.
    i KNOIT I WiN

Joyce was great with AngloSaxonisms

AGENBITE OF INWIT, I feel that daily

Isn't it odd that when Leon disappears, suddenly Heathener starts posting. Just another one of Leon's many sock puppets.

Yep for sure.

Either that or he has gone to Babi Yar like he said ...
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cmlddjv0eego

An instructive and timely piece on the state of the justice system; may be particularly of note to politicians advocating mercilessness to criminals.

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

@ryansabey

Ah, we’ve reached the begging stage…
    How far are we now from Acceptance?
    Heathener said:

Isn't it odd that when Leon disappears, suddenly Heathener starts posting. Just another one of Leon's many sock puppets.

Yep for sure.

Either that or he has gone to Babi Yar like he said ...
    Or, even more likely, I am in a Bolt en route to Babi Yar

Smartphones, heh
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

I agree on the narrow point of Farage, he is probably disliked by too many, he is very Marmite. I cannot see a successful Tory-Reform party led by him, it would have to be a Tory and he'd be second in command
    It's the erstwhility of erstwhile Conservatives that's their current electoral predicament.
    Strange but likeable word, "erstwhile". Feels like some incredible survival from Beowulf. Like happening on an Anglo-Saxon chapel in Newent
    I'm assuming you do know about the Saxon remains at Newent Church.

The church building itself is quite recent - 13C .
    ToryJim said:

New Rishi Sunak language on D-Day debacle - 'I just hope people can find it in their hearts to forgive me'

'I absolutely didn’t mean to cause anyone any more upset, and that’s why I apologise unreservedly for the mistake that I made

'And I just hope people can find it in their hearts to forgive me and look at my actions that I’ve taken as prime minister to support our armed forces'

https://x.com/steven_swinford/status/1800099846981890385?s=46

The PM reduced to pitiful pleading of the “please don’t hurt me” variety. Abject. Embarrassing.

Do you think that his boots on for capital punishment makes his DDay faux pas go away for oldsters?
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528
    ToryJim said:

New Rishi Sunak language on D-Day debacle - 'I just hope people can find it in their hearts to forgive me'

'I absolutely didn’t mean to cause anyone any more upset, and that’s why I apologise unreservedly for the mistake that I made

'And I just hope people can find it in their hearts to forgive me and look at my actions that I’ve taken as prime minister to support our armed forces'

The PM reduced to pitiful pleading of the “please don’t hurt me” variety. Abject. Embarrassing.

Funny that we get so many non-apology apologies yet a real apology like this is treated with disdain

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999
    edited June 10
    ToryJim said:

Rishi now has a giant pink pig bursting through a street in his latest ad this morning. I am serious! Don't know what the CCHQ team were on last night but must have been strong

https://x.com/RishiSunak/status/1800074182715494714
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454
    HYUFD said:

ToryJim said:

Rishi now has a giant pink pig bursting through a street in his latest ad this morning

Pitiful pleading, at the same time as repeating his gaslighting lies. If I were a marriage counsellor and this was the stuff coming from one spouse ...
    edited June 10
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Jonathan said:

WE LAID THAT FUCKER DOWN
    This is where you’ve gone wrong. Well, one of the many places.

It’s too simplistic to state that Brexit was a populist right wing move. It was more about perceived liberty from a heavily centralised and undemocratic institution, and of course a reaction to metropolitan elitist autocracy that had ridden roughshod over ordinary people and was out of touch with their everyday challenges. There were many on the left who supported Brexit and others in the centre e.g. Frank Field who did not believe the EU to be a democratically accountable institution.

You will I’m sure remember all this from your days of being an ardent supporter on here of the EU, until you walked to the voting booth and had another of your flip-flops.
    HYUFD said:

ToryJim said:

Rishi now has a giant pink pig bursting through a street in his latest ad this morning. I am serious! Don't know what the CCHQ team were on last night but must have been strong

That's, er... I don't know. Wow.

I'm guessing Saatchi's were definitely out of their price range.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454
    edited June 10
    geoffw said:

ToryJim said:

Funny that we get so many non-apology apologies yet a real apology like this is treated with disdain

Too late. The time to apologise was breakfast time on 7 June. Now, it won't be believed after the stuff he came out with and made others come out with.
  • ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,149

ToryJim said:

Do you think that his boots on for capital punishment makes his DDay faux pas go away for oldsters?
    I doubt it.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135

If you're a criminal, the law should show you no mercy.

This is utterly bizarre. An isolated post with zero context.

...the law should show you no mercy. What never? Under no circumstances? So no parole then, no suspended sentences, no FPNs for that matter. No early release on health grounds. No flexibility for pregnant prisoners. Or those with severe health problems.

Does 2,000 years of Christian heritage count for nothing?

I am beginning to worry Sunak is losing it.

Its a good job that the government havent persistently and significantly underfunded "the law" to the extent that the police have been told not to arrest criminals because the jails are full. Which wouldn't matter anyway as the police are really badly run and have weird priorities, which again doesn't matter much as even if the police were good and the jails had space, the courts take 3 years to process a case by which time the chance of a conviction has gone.

If you have been in power for 14 years you need to have something positive to run on, and they just don't.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,380
    edited June 10
    HYUFD said:

ToryJim said:

I quite like the pig. It looks friendly, solid, reassuring. One might almost say strong and stable. And clearly representing Labour :lol:
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528
    Carnyx said:

geoffw said:

ToryJim said:

Too late. The time to apologise was breakfast time on 7 June. Now, it won't be believed after the stuff he came out with and made others come out with.
    Never too late either to make one or accept one

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

I doubt it.
    He has no credibility.
  • ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,149
    geoffw said:

ToryJim said:

It’s a sequencing issue. Had this been his first attempt then it might have diffused somewhat the outrage. However you don’t get credit for correcting a disingenuous statement with a more tone appropriate one, because rightly or wrongly people might feel that it is merely tactical rather than actually genuine.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,458

Eabhal said:

That really would be the game changer they are looking for (against Labour). Isn't Nigel already an enthusiastic hangers and flogger?
    Give it a rest.

I didn't explain why it might be a game changer so why don't you just ignore my posts. I ignore yours although your more enlightened ones go some thing like "..." and I quite like them.

I’m interested, what’s your prediction for the election? Are you standing by your forecast of Sunak “doing a Major” 1992-style?
    The evidence points to a Labour win, particularly with the return of Farage. I am not sure whether that is a hung Parliament, a small
    or a larger majority. Landslides and Tory collapse are out of the question. It looked like Labour most seats in 1992, so there should always be doubt.

Now leave me alone.
    Doubt there is – but it's reasonable to ask people for their prediction, on a betting site, especially when they are ramping daily to get a rise out of others.

Thank you for your response. Interesting that you are ruling out a landslide.
    HYUFD said:

ToryJim said:

Clearly 5d omini-dimensional chess, too sophisticated for the likes of us to have a scooby.
    HYUFD said:

ToryJim said:

Not holding back on the £2,000 a week Labour taxbomb then? I like the extra £17 or whatever it is- nice touch for authenticity.
    If you ever feel sorry for Sunak, and I sometimes do, just remind yourself of the the right-wing dog-whistling and thoroughly nasty policies he has pursued.

But as a human being I do feel for him. He never should have been PM and I wonder to what extent he was trying to impress his in-laws. As a financier, albeit a shifty one who benefitted from the financial crash, he’s clearly capable. As a PM, or indeed any kind of politician, he’s bloody awful.
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Jonathan said:

WE LAID THAT FUCKER DOWN

It’s too simplistic to state that Brexit was a populist right wing move. It was more about perceived liberty from a heavily centralised and undemocratic institution, and of course a reaction to metropolitan elitist autocracy that had ridden roughshod over ordinary people and was out of touch with their everyday challenges. There were many on the left who supported Brexit and others in the centre e.g. Frank Field who did not believe the EU to be a democratically accountable institution.

You will I’m sure remember all this from your days of being an ardent supporter on here of the EU, until you walked to the voting booth and had another of your flip-flops.
    Are you new here?
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    Heathener said:

@wooliedyed thought it was you who said Penny wouldn’t lose? Actually, come to think of it, it may have only been CR? If so apologies. But as you’ve now said it, I think she’s going to lose x

No, i think I may have linked once to the constituency poll in (March?) Durung a discussion on it Which had her hanging on by 4% but anyway, my feeling is not based on her popularity but that Portsmouth North Tory inclined voters might be quite motivated to get the potential LOTO over the line. And her personal ratings are the better end of the ragged gang.
    We will see.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761
    HYUFD said:

ToryJim said:

Time to ease off the cocaine at CCHQ.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,016
    TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

@ryansabey

I’m afraid if you duck out of PM duties to do a self serving interview, the public should show you no mercy.
    His action has led me to vote Lib Dem in 10 days (postal vote) for the first time

While it is irrelevant to the outcome in my seat, labour are guaranteed to win it, it is one way I can protest at something which, when I broke the story on here, left me angered and dismayed and that anger and dismay has not diminished at all

Scott_xP said:

@MrHarryCole

@ryansabey

Ah, we’ve reached the begging stage…
    Reminiscent of John Major's authenticity soap box?
  • GaussianGaussian Posts: 823

HYUFD said:

ToryJim said:

Clearly 5d omini-dimensional chess, too sophisticated for the likes of us to have a scooby.
    CCHQ moled below the waterline.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    Scott_xP said:

I think grovelling Richi is about to find out what no mercy means...

It tells you something that when the Tories have their backs to the wall they head to the darkest hard right corners they can find. Do they really have such a low opinion of their fellow Britons or maybe they're correct? Round every corner lies a Clacton or a Hartlepool full of Leons.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999
    Heathener said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

Jonathan said:

Normally UK elections are won in the centre but that is not always true.

Churchill was more centrist than Attlee in 1945 and 1950 for instance. Heath was more centrist than Wilson in 1966 and 1974.

Callaghan was more centrist than Thatcher in 1979 as well

No hang on. I didn’t say just because you are in the centre you will win. I said that you won’t win on the extremes.

In fact, my reading of it is that Thatcher was centrist in 1979. The reason Callaghan lost was the Winter of Discontent, being held to ransom by the unions, and Dennis Healey bankrupting Britain. All Mrs T was saying in 1979 was that it was time for common sense and a ‘housewife’s’ approach to finance.

Remember, Mrs Thatcher only won a 42 seat majority in 1979. It wasn’t until Michael Foot lurched the Labour Party to the extreme Left that she won a c. 140 seat landslide in 1983.
    Thatcher was the rightwing candidate for the Tory leadership in 1975, beating moderates Heath and Whitelaw. Yet she managed to beat the centrist Callaghan in 1979 because of the poor economic situation. Much as Attlee beat WW2 winner Churchill in 1945 due to memories of the Depression in the 1930s under the Tories.

So if the economy is poor even a centrist government can be beaten by a less centrist opposition
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    There is another problem with Richi's "no mercy" tweet this morning

@UKLabour

Says the man fined for breaking the law twice.

HYUFD said:

ToryJim said:

Time to ease off the cocaine at CCHQ.
    I think LSD is the tipple of choice, judging by that ad.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761

Heathener said:

@wooliedyed thought it was you who said Penny wouldn’t lose? Actually, come to think of it, it may have only been CR? If so apologies. But as you’ve now said it, I think she’s going to lose x

No, i think I may have linked once to the constituency poll in (March?) Durung a discussion on it Which had her hanging on by 4% but anyway, my feeling is not based on her popularity but that Portsmouth North Tory inclined voters might be quite motivated to get the potential LOTO over the line. And her personal ratings are the better end of the ragged gang.
    We will see.
    Portsmouth North is a red wall seat moved 200 miles south.
    I’m looking at a decrepit babushka crossing the road as I near the ravine of death. Incredible to think that it’s just about possible she personally saw Yaroslav the Wise found the city, if she is about 980 years old and she’s definitely old

History is so much closer than we think. Its kinda humbling
    Heathener said:

If you ever feel sorry for Sunak, and I sometimes do, just remind yourself of the the right-wing dog-whistling and thoroughly nasty policies he has pursued.

But as a human being I do feel for him. He never should have been PM and I wonder to what extent he was trying to impress his in-laws. As a financier, albeit a shifty one who benefitted from the financial crash, he’s clearly capable. As a PM, or indeed any kind of politician, he’s bloody awful.

You castigated me years ago when I said the Conservatives could use the Savile slur against Starmer effectively in an election. I wonder if Sunak's tweet today is rolling the pitch for this tactic. Although it probably is for capital punishment.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,903
    Scott_xP said:

There is another problem with Richi's "no mercy" tweet this morning

@UKLabour

Says the man fined for breaking the law twice.

I'd forgotten about the seatbelt.
    edited June 10
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Jonathan said:

WE LAID THAT FUCKER DOWN

Are you new here?
    No. I am you and you are I, remember.

My name is Seanetta and I claim my 5 Euros.
    Libs launching their manifesto. When are the Tory and Labour launches? Do we know?
  • GaussianGaussian Posts: 823

This Ross story is increasingly absurd. He's quitting the leadership. Why? Because his colleagues do not trust his judgement or motivation. So why should the people of ANME. And he's quitting Holyrood in favour of Westminster, having very recently declared he was quitting Westminster in favour of Holyrood.

The communities in my constituency are not pawns to be pushed around by his bizarre attempt for relevancy. Is he deliberately setting out to turn his party into an utter joke???

Sounds like he'll soon be able to concentrate on his refereeing career.
    Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

It tells you something that when the Tories have their backs to the wall they head to the darkest hard right corners they can find. Do they really have such a low opinion of their fellow Britons or maybe they're correct? Round every corner lies a Clacton or a Hartlepool full of Leons.
    Clacton is full of whoremongering flint knappers who spend all their time travelling around the world on other people’s money? It’s a lot more interesting than I anticipated. I should visit
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,068
    Leon said:

I’m looking at a decrepit babushka crossing the road as I near the ravine of death. Incredible to think that it’s just about possible she personally saw Yaroslav the Wise found the city, if she is about 980 years old and she’s definitely old

Thomas Hardy, who was taken to see a public execution when fairly young, lived into the lifetime of HM QEII as well as people I know still living.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520

Heathener said:

We will see.
    I think she does have a personal vote, though of course such votes tend to be diluted in landslide elections.

I make it about 50/50 she survives.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866

Lib Dem’s launching manifesto today. Periodic plug that I still think they are big time underpriced for ‘Over 40.5 seats’ in particular, but also the ‘Most Seats without Labour’ at around 5.5.

Davey’s campaign has done very well on socials so far, but more than that - I think their big focus on the NHS and Social Care will play very well in many Tory heartlands. The Lib Dems do best when they are seen as the ‘sensible option’ and that’s going to be played out in many seats that are currently CON 1st LD 2nd imo.

Musing, I wonder what trajectory the LD Campaign will now follow.

Having got some audience attention via stunts, will they now pivot to more content along the same lines to try and keep that audience and lock them in?

AFAICS there are fewer stunts, but I've been calling for Ed to go to a naturist club for his next stunt - so perhaps they are scared off :smile: .

Eabhal said:

Give it a rest.

Now leave me alone.
    Doubt there is – but it's reasonable to ask people for their prediction, on a betting site, especially when they are ramping daily to get a rise out of others.

I gave my prediction on Ben's competition, and I currently reside on nul points.
    2p off NI in the Tory manifesto apparently. The absolute shittest of the tax cuts. Of course.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,466

Libs launching their manifesto. When are the Tory and Labour launches? Do we know?

Lab is thursday apparently
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
    Just seen the Denyer LBC interview. Not wishing to be mean, but she is clearly deeply stupid - you could tell she couldn't even understand the concept of deterrence on a theoretical level, and that's before the rest of the nonsense. Fingers crossed for Thangam Debbonaire.

Mon LD
    Tues Con
    Weds Green for lolz
    Thurs Lab
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Thomas Hardy, who was taken to see a public execution when fairly young, lived into the lifetime of HM QEII as well as people I know still living.
    Yes that’s impressive but not as impressive as this old lady. She could actually have seen Yaroslav march over the Dnieper and build the Church of Tithes, on the old pagan shrines of Podil - IF she is nearly 1000 years old. And as I say she’s definitely knocking on

That’s incredible

2p off NI in the Tory manifesto apparently. The absolute shittest of the tax cuts. Of course.

How will they pay for their televised executions?
    OT it’s now June 10th and the most recent opinion polls had fieldwork from 6-8th and 5th-7th.

We need some fresh data please. They should now be post Faragasm and D-Day gate and we may have a clearer picture of how this election is heading.

My sense is that nothing much from here will change, barring anything extraordinary. People begin voting next week ...
    MattW said:

Lib Dem’s launching manifesto today. Periodic plug that I still think they are big time underpriced for ‘Over 40.5 seats’ in particular, but also the ‘Most Seats without Labour’ at around 5.5.

Davey’s campaign has done very well on socials so far, but more than that - I think their big focus on the NHS and Social Care will play very well in many Tory heartlands. The Lib Dems do best when they are seen as the ‘sensible option’ and that’s going to be played out in many seats that are currently CON 1st LD 2nd imo.

Musing, I wonder what trajectory the LD Campaign will now follow.

Having got some audience attention via stunts, will they now pivot to more content along the same lines to try and keep that audience and lock them in?

AFAICS there are fewer stunts, but I've been calling for Ed to go to a naturist club for his next stunt - so perhaps they are scared off :smile: .
    Watching the manifesto launch, I think there is a small gap opening up for the Lib Dems. As the Tories become ever more reactionary, this sort of compassion from Davey must be attractive to what remains of the Cameroons.

HYUFD said:

ToryJim said:

I would like to apologise to HYUFD for my undoubted rudeness to him at times in the past.

I wrongly assumed he was a bone-headed automaton who would always spout party line no matter what. I now see that, while he is clearly someone strongly committed to his beliefs he recognises when his beloved party has totally lost it and is prepared to say as much.

Credit to you HY and apologies for my past rudeness.
    I like the Adventures of Percy the Tax Pig, I wonder where he will go next?

Eabhal said:

Give it a rest.

Now leave me alone.

I gave my prediction on Ben's competition, and I currently reside on nul points.
    In fairness to you that competition was set months ago, I believe. Hence why I was asking whether you had any update.
    edited June 10

Again, setting themselves up for a massive pensioner backlash. Entirely inconsistent with the thinking behind the quadruple lock.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,206
    kjh said:

A shorter day cycling today. About 50 km to Saumur

if youre interested Saumur has an excellent tank museum

Mon LD
    Tues Con
    Weds Green for lolz
    Thurs Lab
    Will allow Sunak to repetitively chant "Labour has no Plan!" on Wednesday's leadership debate, annoyingly.

Heathener said:

We will see.
    I think she does have a personal vote, though of course such votes tend to be diluted in landslide elections.

One bit of good news for PM. The localist-populist Portsmouth Independents have decided to back her;

George Madgwick, the leader of the Portsmouth Independent Group, has snubbed an offer from Nigel Farage to stand for Reform and is instead urging residents to vote for Penny Mordaunt.
    Madgwick has told Portsmouth residents to back Mordaunt’s re-election in Portsmouth North after he decides not to stand in the general election. Madgwick said he declined an offer from Nigel Farage to stand for Reform UK last week, saying, “I don’t believe it is a democratic party – they’re set up like a business with no real voting or democratic structure.”

In an online statement, Madgwick explains his decision: “I’ve decided not to stand as I don’t feel it’s best for our community. My aim is to always get our area the best representation it can. So, I’ve decided that in this election, I am going to support and endorse Penny Mordaunt to continue her role as our MP.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/politics/portsmouth-independent-snubs-offer-from-nigel-farage-and-is-throwing-his-weight-behind-penny-mordaunt-instead-4652130
    Leon said:

Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

Clacton is full of whoremongering flint knappers who spend all their time travelling around the world on other people’s money? It’s a lot more interesting than I anticipated. I should visit
    Just look around you in the warzone in which you currently reside. I suspect it is very reminiscent of coastal Essex.
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Jonathan said:

WE LAID THAT FUCKER DOWN

Are you new here?

I see us perpetually spinning through the universe, forever entwined, like Paolo and Francesca da Rimini

This Ross story is increasingly absurd. He's quitting the leadership. Why? Because his colleagues do not trust his judgement or motivation. So why should the people of ANME. And he's quitting Holyrood in favour of Westminster, having very recently declared he was quitting Westminster in favour of Holyrood.

The communities in my constituency are not pawns to be pushed around by his bizarre attempt for relevancy. Is he deliberately setting out to turn his party into an utter joke???

One feels that horse has bolted
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,601
    I'm not voting LD but it is good that they are proposing some things which might help with Social Care.

I don't think we are going to see that from CON or LAB. No obvious sign of any such help from CON or LAB governments since 1979.
    Heathener said:

OT it’s now June 10th and the most recent opinion polls had fieldwork from 6-8th and 5th-7th.

We need some fresh data please. They should now be post Faragasm and D-Day gate and we may have a clearer picture of how this election is heading.

My sense is that nothing much from here will change, barring anything extraordinary. People begin voting next week ...

Note of caution Heathener: in 1997 the Labour lead halved between this point and election day.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813

The logical conclusion, if the locals don't want to reward this behaviour and aren't terribly keen on secession (or the Edinburgh Government) either, is to find some alternative. Somebody rational and articulate to represent their interests.

That Andrew Brown chap is meant to be quite nice 😁
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,601

Well done to LibDems for focusing on social care and the links to failing NHS.

You beat me to it!!!
    edited June 10

Mon LD
    Tues Con
    Weds Green for lolz
    Thurs Lab
    Will allow Sunak to repetitively chant "Labour has no Plan!" on Wednesday's leadership debate, annoyingly.
    If he gets past the ''why do you hate veterans and baby Jesus'' opening
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Jonathan said:

WE LAID THAT FUCKER DOWN

Are you new here?

I see us perpetually spinning through the universe, forever entwined, like Paolo and Francesca da Rimini
    :smiley:

I'm not voting LD but it is good that they are proposing some things which might help with Social Care.

I don't think we are going to see that from CON or LAB. No obvious sign of any such help from CON or LAB governments since 1979.

The political class have completely failed on social care. It is a disgrace.

I think it's a good tax cut, if tax cuts were achievable. Will this be paid for by 'cracking down on tax avoidance'?
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Jonathan said:

WE LAID THAT FUCKER DOWN

Are you new here?

More like Arthur Mullard and Hylda Baker

I think it's a good tax cut, if tax cuts were achievable. Will this be paid for by 'cracking down on tax avoidance'?
    Surely benefit fraud.

Kicking benefits claimants in the nutsack this one
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,068
    MattW said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

I'm assuming you do know about the Saxon remains at Newent Church.

The church building itself is quite recent - 13C .
    Re Leon's comment on 'erstwhile' and Beowulf, both 'aer' and 'hwil', which two words are the origin of erstwhile, actually occur in Beowulf.
    HYUFD said:

ToryJim said:

Is that Peppa? Has Boris been helping his old friend Rishi out?
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,648
    pigeon said:

The logical conclusion, if the locals don't want to reward this behaviour and aren't terribly keen on secession (or the Edinburgh Government) either, is to find some alternative. Somebody rational and articulate to represent their interests.

That Andrew Brown chap is meant to be quite nice 😁
    He is nice! We got on very well when I met him. Seamus Logan the SNP candidate the same - we shook hands, showed respect and even took a selfie.

Politics done properly
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,648
    The DRoss resignation only piles the pressure onto Sunak. Scot Tories without a leader. Don’t tell me that leaders can’t resign mid-campaign as he’s just done it….
  • NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,329
    Commenting for the first time in a long time after going back to lurking - I don't believe there will be a complete Tory disaster but who knows - there is a certain fin de siecle feeling in the air like 97 or 2010. But no matter the outcome it is just not possible to forecast the next election - just 5 years ago and even since then we were told that Labour would need more than one election cycle to get a majority. The big risk for them is that unlike 97 they are not taking over a good economic situation, and will need to use up any goodwill they will have as a new administration. 2029 could be anything.
    Fucking hell

This has knocked the comedy stuffing out of me

Babi Yar has this artwork at the dark depth of the ravine where 30,000 Jews were shot and toppled. It’s a huge roofless pavilion of shot up steel cylinders and they continuously announce the names of the dead again and again and again and with the subsonic throb of some aethereally sad cantata

Noom factor 9. Dark Noom. But my god, the Noom
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    Eabhal said:

Again, setting themselves up for a massive pensioner backlash. Entirely inconsistent with the thinking behind the quadruple lock.
    Yep. The new mechanism is valuable to poor pensioners reliant wholly on the state handout (whom the Government doesn't much care about as they mostly back Labour,) but it's of more limited relevance to the core vote. Most Tory oldies are going to be better-off types with fat old-fashioned occupational schemes, so whining and grumbling about the unfairness of it all will continue regardless. Sunak does seem to be making everything up as he goes along
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866

Heathener said:

We will see.

One bit of good news for PM. The localist-populist Portsmouth Independents have decided to back her;

George Madgwick, the leader of the Portsmouth Independent Group, has snubbed an offer from Nigel Farage to stand for Reform and is instead urging residents to vote for Penny Mordaunt.
    Madgwick has told Portsmouth residents to back Mordaunt’s re-election in Portsmouth North after he decides not to stand in the general election. Madgwick said he declined an offer from Nigel Farage to stand for Reform UK last week, saying, “I don’t believe it is a democratic party – they’re set up like a business with no real voting or democratic structure.”

In an online statement, Madgwick explains his decision: “I’ve decided not to stand as I don’t feel it’s best for our community. My aim is to always get our area the best representation it can. So, I’ve decided that in this election, I am going to support and endorse Penny Mordaunt to continue her role as our MP.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/politics/portsmouth-independent-snubs-offer-from-nigel-farage-and-is-throwing-his-weight-behind-penny-mordaunt-instead-4652130
    Independents = Tories.

As is usually the case.

Commenting for the first time in a long time after going back to lurking - I don't believe there will be a complete Tory disaster but who knows - there is a certain fin de siecle feeling in the air like 97 or 2010. But no matter the outcome it is just not possible to forecast the next election - just 5 years ago and even since then we were told that Labour would need more than one election cycle to get a majority. The big risk for them is that unlike 97 they are not taking over a good economic situation, and will need to use up any goodwill they will have as a new administration. 2029 could be anything.

The other risk is if they are up against Farage leading the Conservatives as he can convincingly say he has been against the last 14 years whereas Sunak, Braverman et al look ridiculous when they do so.

HYUFD said:

ToryJim said:

Is that Peppa? Has Boris been helping his old friend Rishi out?
    Wasn't there something about David Cameron and a pig?

Seems to be a theme.
    pigeon said:

Eabhal said:

Yep. The new mechanism is valuable to poor pensioners reliant wholly on the state handout (whom the Government doesn't much care about as they mostly back Labour,) but it's of more limited relevance to the core vote. Most Tory oldies are going to be better-off types with fat old-fashioned occupational schemes, so whining and grumbling about the unfairness of it all will continue regardless. Sunak does seem to be making everything up as he goes along
    The main thing is that this problem has only arisen because some nitwit decided to freeze income tax thresholds during a time of significant inflation.

And if Rishi ever finds out who that nitwit was, he will show no mercy to him.
    It’s one of those places where you instantly want to run away, and yet the fearsome beauty compels you to stay. Maybe that is the essence of noom

I’m the only person here
This discussion has been closed.