Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And From The Other Side of the Pond… – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,982

Eabhal said:

Cicero said:

Help to Buy is to getting a rebrand as Freedom to Buy...

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-to-offer-freedom-to-buy-for-young-people-with-mortgage-guarantee-scheme-13148889

Permanent very low deposits guaranteed by government has other negatives above the risk of bad loans.

What percentage of council houses sold are still in the hands of owner occupiers, as opposed to private rental companies?
    40% of right to buy homes are now rented out privately.

PB likes to ignore the vast shifts in housing tenure in the last 14 years, but ultimately it's the reason why the country has become more unequal and why the number of natural Conservative voters has fallen. There is no evidence that a mass private housebuilding programme would reverse the trend and increase ownership - all the new homes will simply be hoovered up by those who have accumulated large savings.
    That's not a surprising stat.

RTB homes are mostly in council estates and few people chose to live in a council estate if given a choice.

They are therefore more likely to be bought by BTR investors.

After a while it becomes a feedback loop - more privately rented houses with multiple occupants making the area steadily less desirable to live in and so steadily fewer people wanting to buy there.
    The only way to fix that is to keep building more houses, so that they eventually depreciate to nothing, rather than being seen as a store of wealth. The reason so many houses have been bought by investors, is because property was about the only investment making a return for more than a decade.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,727
    Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

Will Sunak's apology bring Big_G back to the cause? I guess it will.

Sunak should not have apologised. He was at Southsea, he was at the D Day commemorations on the British beaches in Normandy.

All he has done now is give fuel to the opposition parties exploitation of the D Day memorials for their own political ends in one of the most disgraceful acts of political campaigning I have ever seen. Starmer, Davey and Farage should be ashamed of themselves
    This is the problem

@jessphillips

Rishi Sunak thinks he's the cleverest most important man in any room. His decision yesterday was made on that basis. He thought what he had to do was more important, he always thinks he is more important. Dripping not just in rain but also in privilege
    He might think he’s the cleverest man in a room but I doubt very much he’s the sort who thinks he’s the most important - if he did then he would have been forcing himself to the front with the big leaders at D-Day - he seems more like a nerd who knows he’s clever but overcompensates with that to cover his insecurity about whether he has status, earned or unearned.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,215
    HYUFD said:

Sunak should not have apologised. He was at Southsea, he was at the D Day commemorations on the British beaches in Normandy.

All he has done now is give fuel to the opposition parties exploitation of the D Day memorials for their own political ends in one of the most disgraceful acts of political campaigning I have ever seen. Starmer, Davey and Farage should be ashamed of themselves
    Hahahaha
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,111

ToryJim said:

It gets worse the initial idea was that Sunak would not go at all. This is worse than 1983 Labour campaign.

https://x.com/iainmartin1/status/1798977946574782737?s=46

What the actual fuck is wrong with the man?
    I have no idea. At this stage I think the Tories should kidnap Rishi lock him in a box in the Outer Hebrides and get Cameron or someone to front the rest of the campaign. It can’t go on like this. It’s too grim.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,287
    Scott_xP said:

@sophgaston

The predictable consequence of the PM’s astonishing decision to leave the D-Day commemorations early is that in Zelenskyy’s moving video of his attendance, Britain - Ukraine’s most ardent ally - is represented by the leader of the opposition.

https://x.com/sophgaston/status/1798936577730879810

Only as Starmer was shameless in getting a photo op with him
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,227
    HYUFD said:

Lol Bloody Tories, eh? They don't like it up 'em!
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,559
    @DmitryOpines

Everyone gave Zoomers shit for "quiet quitting", which now looks like a very benign way to leave a job compared to whatever the fuck it is Rishi Sunak is doing.
  • Options
    @KateEMcCann

I spent a fair bit of time yesterday trying to get Tory aides to explain why Rishi Sunak was leaving D-Day early - they couldn’t. He has now apologised for flying back early to film a TV interview. Very difficult to understand how Tory camp could have made such a miscalculation
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Heathener said:

ToryJim said:

Got to wonder whose side that papers on these days.

If one of the Nationals came out of the closet to endorse Reform, it would be an historic moment in UK political history do we think?
    The Telegraph possibly will endorse Farage’s mob this time aa they often seem very much a tribute to the Völkischer Beobachter these days.
    Alistair Heath's articles for example, are just so shrill and dumb.... so full of right win hyperbole and agitation.... it is terrifying to see that kind of hitlerian rhetoric going unchecked in a major newspaper.
    +1

To which we can add Charles Moore, Camilla Tominey, Allison Pearson, Janet Daley, Danniel Hannan …

I take the Saturday Telegraph. The paper has lost its way these past couple of years and they now come across as bewildered by events.

It has become an echo chamber of the reactionary right.
    The Telegraph just comes across as King Lear shouting at the storm. The Mail as the kind of senility that hides food it its pockets. Both are losing readers by the bucketful.
    I think that the off shore newspaper proprietors club is diminishing to the point, not merely of irrelevance but to the point of medical intervention.
    Point of order. They’re not “losing readers by the bucketful” they are both profit making newspapers, with vigorous online readership. The telegraph has 1m subscribers. The mail was until recently one of the most visited news sites in the world

They’ve not a put a partial paywall in so who knows where they will go. But the mail doesn’t make many mistakes, it knows how to drive and sustain an audience
    How on earth does anyone actually put up with the Mail Online? Not the content but the format - it's so busy with pop-ups everywhere - like a normal website on cocaine. Given the demographic of a lot of its viewership, I find it baffling.

(Checks, actually they seem to have toned it down a bit recently - not quite so manic.)
    Use an Ad-blocker. What adverts?
    I've got one but I still get pop-up 'ads' for other mail items and 'ad features'.
    For reference I use a combination of Adguard (DNS) and Brave (browser). I get zero adverts on the DailyMail website but it's still incredibly busy..
    Thanks, but in all honesty I think I can live without too many visits to the Mail Online.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,453
    The trouble with tweeting 'my bad' is now people just assumes he bunked the lot, he needs (politically) to hammer the events he did attend. Hes so clueless
  • Options
    DoubleDutchDoubleDutch Posts: 161
    Someone below mentioned Michael Foot and the donkey jacket.

It wasn't in fact a donkey jacket but it was what we now call 'the optics'. He was shown on tv, looking around sruffily dressed as if he'd rather be anywhere else.

It killed Foot for the 1983 General Election more than any other single moment.

I'm not saying that this will do the same, at all, and he's very lucky he is a Cons leader not a Labour one because the media really would have a go at him.

However, this might be the last straw that sees a Reform-Cons crossover and maybe an extinction level event. He has singularly insulted his last remaining friends and supporters.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,658
    The Tories can always console themselves that no matter how bad today’s fuck up might be, very shortly they will do something even stupider which will shunt the present disaster out of the spotlight

• Options
    Does anyone think that Boris Johnson would have left early yesterday, and avoided the photo at the end with all the leaders including Zelensky?

Anyone?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,051

eek said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Cicero said:

Heathener said:

ToryJim said:

Got to wonder whose side that papers on these days.

If one of the Nationals came out of the closet to endorse Reform, it would be an historic moment in UK political history do we think?
    The Telegraph possibly will endorse Farage’s mob this time aa they often seem very much a tribute to the Völkischer Beobachter these days.
    Alistair Heath's articles for example, are just so shrill and dumb.... so full of right win hyperbole and agitation.... it is terrifying to see that kind of hitlerian rhetoric going unchecked in a major newspaper.
    +1

To which we can add Charles Moore, Camilla Tominey, Allison Pearson, Janet Daley, Danniel Hannan …

I take the Saturday Telegraph. The paper has lost its way these past couple of years and they now come across as bewildered by events.

It has become an echo chamber of the reactionary right.
    The Telegraph just comes across as King Lear shouting at the storm. The Mail as the kind of senility that hides food it its pockets. Both are losing readers by the bucketful.
    I think that the off shore newspaper proprietors club is diminishing to the point, not merely of irrelevance but to the point of medical intervention.
    Point of order. They’re not “losing readers by the bucketful” they are both profit making newspapers, with vigorous online readership. The telegraph has 1m subscribers. The mail was until recently one of the most visited news sites in the world

They’ve not a put a partial paywall in so who knows where they will go. But the mail doesn’t make many mistakes, it knows how to drive and sustain an audience
    How on earth does anyone actually put up with the Mail Online? Not the content but the format - it's so busy with pop-ups everywhere - like a normal website on cocaine. Given the demographic of a lot of its viewership, I find it baffling.

(Checks, actually they seem to have toned it down a bit recently - not quite so manic.)
    Use an Ad-blocker. What adverts?
    I've got one but I still get pop-up 'ads' for other mail items and 'ad features'.
    For reference I use a combination of Adguard (DNS) and Brave (browser). I get zero adverts on the DailyMail website but it's still incredibly busy..
    Thanks, but in all honesty I think I can live without too many visits to the Mail Online.
    Twas more general advice - it makes the internet far less painful than it would otherwise be.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Cicero said:

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-to-offer-freedom-to-buy-for-young-people-with-mortgage-guarantee-scheme-13148889

Permanent very low deposits guaranteed by government has other negatives above the risk of bad loans.

What percentage of council houses sold are still in the hands of owner occupiers, as opposed to private rental companies?

PB likes to ignore the vast shifts in housing tenure in the last 14 years, but ultimately it's the reason why the country has become more unequal and why the number of natural Conservative voters has fallen. There is no evidence that a mass private housebuilding programme would reverse the trend and increase ownership - all the new homes will simply be hoovered up by those who have accumulated large savings.
    And 60% aren't. Even those 40% are extra earnings for owners of those properties when they would have just been renting them before.

New affordable homes targeted at the young would make a difference
  • Options
    Leon said:

The Tories can always console themselves that no matter how bad today’s fuck up might be, very shortly they will do something even stupider which will shunt the present disaster out of the spotlight

I am now curious what that could be?

Kick a homeless man on live TV?

Shoot a dog?

Give Zelensky an atomic wedgie?

How exactly are they going to top this?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,309
    boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

@jonsopel

What a vivid and shocking contrast: the sacrifice of all those brave men so that 80 years on the prime minister could cut short his visit to where they fell so that he could return to London to attack his opponent.

On such judgements we learn about character

I’m sure as they were running up that beach they were thinking “we’re doing this so everyone has to behave in a perfectly ordered way in the future and be forced into attending ceremonies”.

My grandfather wasn’t flying his plane bombing Normandy on D-Day for anything like this confected wank. He was doing it because it was his duty, his job, orders and ultimately he didn’t want the country and Europe to be run by fascists who did not tolerate people not doing what they are ordered to do.

It’s fucking tedious this whole “they didn’t sacrifice their lives for this” - they didn’t care about this sort of shit.
    Huge truth in this. The generation that served - my father's generation - now nearly all dead, was the generation that we boomers knew. They brought up us, they were our teachers, neighbours and all that. They were more than glad we won, and knew that slavery awaited us if we lost, glad to get home, many would spend a bit of time on one day each in November remembering, and attending something local, wearing a red poppy. But only a small minority made a lifelong huge ceremonial thing of it. They were mostly unemphatic quiet small 'l' liberals.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,797
    Scott_xP said:

@KateEMcCann

I spent a fair bit of time yesterday trying to get Tory aides to explain why Rishi Sunak was leaving D-Day early - they couldn’t. He has now apologised for flying back early to film a TV interview. Very difficult to understand how Tory camp could have made such a miscalculation

I like the suggestion that somebody offered on here. Biden wanted to have a word with the coming man, Starmer, and did not want Sunak to queer the pitch. So Sunak was asked by higher authority to keep clear. He is a lame duck PM.

That is the most rational explanation that I have heard.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

To be fair to Rishi he's not the only tactical genius who left Normandy too soon for domestic reasons. So did Rommel.

Rishi was one of the first men off the beach on D-Day

https://x.com/mrhenrymorris/status/1798961378641789299
  • Options
    edited June 7
    HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

Cicero said:

And 60% aren't. Even those 40% are extra earnings for owners of those properties when they would have just been renting them before.

New affordable homes targeted at the young would make a difference
    Not really - those 40% are on the open market being rented out for way more than the social housing house next door.

Which means someone is profiteering from their or someone else's luck...
  • Options
    @GuidoFawkes

There are now suggestions from multiple Tory MPs that Sunak needs to travel back to France today to meet veterans and apologise in person

Lucky he has the private helicopter on standby...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Does anyone think that Boris Johnson would have left early yesterday, and avoided the photo at the end with all the leaders including Zelensky?

Anyone?

Not me. Though he would have looked odd in his hard hat and hi-vis.
  • Options
    edited June 7

The Daily Express are on the attack: "Rishi Sunak apologises for awful D-Day blunder after he Skipped key remembrance events for TV interview."

https://www.express.co.uk/

What a blunder by the Prime Minister. 75% of people probably won't mind or even care. The 25% who really mind are the very people he had left as his voters.

Except on the latest Redfield poll those are no longer the core vote of Sunak's Tory Party.

The latest Redfield has the Tories polling highest with 45-54 year olds on 22% now post debate and Farage return, second highest with 35-44 year olds and with 65+ year olds the Tories are now third on 17% behind Farage's Reform on 19%.

Indeed with 55 year olds and over Reform and Labour now beat the Tories, yet with under 55s the Sunak Tories still lead Reform

https://x.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1798741638262731172/photo/1
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,365
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@sophgaston

The predictable consequence of the PM’s astonishing decision to leave the D-Day commemorations early is that in Zelenskyy’s moving video of his attendance, Britain - Ukraine’s most ardent ally - is represented by the leader of the opposition.

https://x.com/sophgaston/status/1798936577730879810

Only as Starmer was shameless in getting a photo op with him
    Starmer will be doing the job fro real in 4 weeks' time, may as well get used to the photos now.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,420
    Well. It's over. We might as well all vote tomorrow and get this done.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Anyone?

Do you think he would have stayed for deeply respectful reasons, because he really wanted to honour the sacrifice or because he felt he needed to and wanted to hobnob with other leaders?

It seems Rishi is being slammed for disrespect rather than the opportunity to mix it with men in suits in a beach.
  • Options

Good morning

I broke this story on here expressing my anger and dismay that Sunak would consider it appropriate to leave such an important event prematurely, and my anger and dismay has not abbatted this morning and if anything I am more angry that he has handed Farage such a gift at this critical moment in the campaign and he will feed on it just like Labour do with lettuce Truss

I was born 4 months before D day and throughout my life it has been an important moment and have visited the beaches and cemeteries in Northern France on several occasions and with my family teaching them of this historic moment

I missed conscription by a couple of years and have never wanted to serve in the armed forces, though my grandfather was a professional soldier in the Manchester Regiment and my Uncle lost an arm in the first world war in France

For me this affirms Sunak has no political antennae, is poorly advised, and is heading for a terrible defeat notwithstanding his apology this morning

I would just say to @HYUFD and @Casino_Royale your defense of Sunak demonstrates great loyalty but on this occasion it is misplaced

I have not changed my mind overnight and will likely vote Lib Dem but it is only 1 vote and the conservative will be roundly beaten by Labour here anyway

My fear is that Farage does win a seat and that we see a rise across the UK in his pro Trump, anti vax, anti net zero beliefs which seems to be echoing across Europe

I look forward to Friday 5th July and Starmer speech on Downing Street, and hope he copes with the responsibility but I am not convinced he or indeed any other politician has any idea of what is in store for us all going forward
    Apologies for doubting you Big_G.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,651
    edited June 7
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

It gets worse the initial idea was that Sunak would not go at all. This is worse than 1983 Labour campaign.

I have no idea. At this stage I think the Tories should kidnap Rishi lock him in a box in the Outer Hebrides and get Cameron or someone to front the rest of the campaign. It can’t go on like this. It’s too grim.
    An illness might be convenient. I hear that an abscess is a nasty thing with a convalescence period long enough to cover the rest of the campaign.
  • Options
    @andrewhunterm

"They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the - sorry, there's the helicopter. Dave, you finish this"

https://x.com/andrewhunterm/status/1798982330960531966
  • Options
    https://x.com/BenRamanauskas/status/1798980687648919968
    Ben Ramanauskas
    @BenRamanauskas
    ·
    44m
    The Labour Party claims to care about workers rights but Sir Keir Starmer's genie hasn't had a break in months.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,081
    Of course the really big story of the morning is that Scotland now tops its T20 World cup group, a group including both Australia and England.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/icc-men-s-t20-world-cup-2024-1411166/namibia-vs-scotland-12th-match-group-b-1415712/points-table-standings
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Scott_xP said:

@KateEMcCann

I like the suggestion that somebody offered on here. Biden wanted to have a word with the coming man, Starmer, and did not want Sunak to queer the pitch. So Sunak was asked by higher authority to keep clear. He is a lame duck PM.

That is the most rational explanation that I have heard.
    Rational it may be, but 'rational' isn't guiding the Tories these days.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,058
    HYUFD said:

He shouldn't have needed to and your blind partisanship does you no favours

It was idiotic and indefensible and probably terminal for his chance to change the narrative

Starmer, Davey and Farage have nothing to be ashamed of, Sunak has
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,557

Eabhal said:

Cicero said:

Think we will see a big increase in stamp duty rates for overseas buyers, possibly up to 10% surcharge (from 2%). Maybe the higher rate for additional properties goes from 3 to 5 as well.
    Time these clowns had a lightbulb moment and realised it would be better to build social housing with public money rather than pay their chums bloated private rents.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,215
    eek said:

Ben Ramanauskas
    @BenRamanauskas
    ·
    44m
    The Labour Party claims to care about workers rights but Sir Keir Starmer's genie hasn't had a break in months.

Now that’s good craic
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Daily Express are on the attack: "Rishi Sunak apologises for awful D-Day blunder after he Skipped key remembrance events for TV interview."

What a blunder by the Prime Minister. 75% of people probably won't mind or even care. The 25% who really mind are the very people he had left as his voters.

Except on the latest Redfield poll those are no longer the core vote of Sunak's Tory Party.

The latest Redfield has the Tories polling highest with 45-54 year olds on 22% now post debate and Farage return, second highest with 35-44 year olds and with 65+ year olds the Tories are now third on 17% behind Reform on 19%.

Indeed with 55 year olds and over Reform and Labour now beat the Tories, yet with under 55s the Sunak Tories still lead Reform

But it's the 55+ who are more likely to vote in the election

It's weird to say this but it's perfectly possible that Reform will beat the Tories at this election..
  • Options

Good morning

I broke this story on here expressing my anger and dismay that Sunak would consider it appropriate to leave such an important event prematurely, and my anger and dismay has not abbatted this morning and if anything I am more angry that he has handed Farage such a gift at this critical moment in the campaign and he will feed on it just like Labour do with lettuce Truss

I was born 4 months before D day and throughout my life it has been an important moment and have visited the beaches and cemeteries in Northern France on several occasions and with my family teaching them of this historic moment

I missed conscription by a couple of years and have never wanted to serve in the armed forces, though my grandfather was a professional soldier in the Manchester Regiment and my Uncle lost an arm in the first world war in France

For me this affirms Sunak has no political antennae, is poorly advised, and is heading for a terrible defeat notwithstanding his apology this morning

I would just say to @HYUFD and @Casino_Royale your defense of Sunak demonstrates great loyalty but on this occasion it is misplaced

I have not changed my mind overnight and will likely vote Lib Dem but it is only 1 vote and the conservative will be roundly beaten by Labour here anyway

My fear is that Farage does win a seat and that we see a rise across the UK in his pro Trump, anti vax, anti net zero beliefs which seems to be echoing across Europe

I look forward to Friday 5th July and Starmer speech on Downing Street, and hope he copes with the responsibility but I am not convinced he or indeed any other politician has any idea of what is in store for us all going forward
    A beautiful post. So well reasoned and heartfelt.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@andrewhunterm

"They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the - sorry, there's the helicopter. Dave, you finish this"

Ah so it’s ok to use solemn prose, purely associated with sacrifice in jolly gags to mock someone for not displaying enough respect for those that shall not grow old etc. Cool.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,088
    edited June 7
    Sub 30% used to be basically impossible for Tory / Labour. By the day, people come back. Tories sub 20% can't be ruled out now.

I am sure HFYUD told me last night I was absolutely wrong this was a story, nobody was highlighting other than the Mirror and only highlighting this party because it was good for "my party" (no idea who my party is)....then the Telegraph ran it at 1am.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,451
    It's absolutely incredible

Rishi has effectively detonated a nuclear bomb on the CON remaining chances of holding a reasonable number of seats

Unbelievably there is a real possibility of CON getting low double digit seats sub 50, may be at the bottom of that range, and only around 15% of the vote!
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,391
    boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

@andrewhunterm

Ah so it’s ok to use solemn prose, purely associated with sacrifice in jolly gags to mock someone for not displaying enough respect for those that shall not grow old etc. Cool.

It is a well-attested tradition, perhaps because poets unlike PMs don't make decisions to send soldiers out to war.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 1,001
    Sandpit said:

Eabhal said:

Cicero said:

That's not a surprising stat.

RTB homes are mostly in council estates and few people chose to live in a council estate if given a choice.

They are therefore more likely to be bought by BTR investors.

After a while it becomes a feedback loop - more privately rented houses with multiple occupants making the area steadily less desirable to live in and so steadily fewer people wanting to buy there.
    The only way to fix that is to keep building more houses, so that they eventually depreciate to nothing, rather than being seen as a store of wealth. The reason so many houses have been bought by investors, is because property was about the only investment making a return for more than a decade.
    Plus if you fund more local council house building from central government taxation, you maintain the stock of social housing for people who need it, while maintaining the wealth redistribution policy that RTB acts as, and allow RTB to funnel some of that new housing you're building into the private market. (Pay for this by taxing people like me more.)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,293
    Sunak has well and truly fooked everything.

From calling the GE at the wrong time in the pissing down rain to stupid National Service arrangements

Currently they have zero chance of denying Lab a Maj.

The only game changer available to him is something I have been predicting for years they might play.

I hope I am wrong and they don't do this but cornered rats and all that.

The announcement of a Referendum on the death penalty on certain types of horrible criminals if reelected would unfortunately be a game changer with huge swathes of the Population.

Let's hope Sunak puts Country before Party and has no truck with this policy.
  • Options
    No 10 are apparently denying the story that Richi originally was not going to attend at all.

One leaked email could end this
  • Options
    edited June 7
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

The latest Redfield has the Tories polling highest with 45-54 year olds on 22% now post debate and Farage return, second highest with 35-44 year olds and with 65+ year olds the Tories are now third on 17% behind Reform on 19%.

It's weird to say this but it's perfectly possible that Reform will beat the Tories at this election..
    Maybe, maybe not but the right can never win a general election in this country again without Reform AND Tory voters under FPTP voting for the same candidates

In general elections the young and middle aged are much more likely to vote than other elections though, see 2017
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

Cicero said:

Think we will see a big increase in stamp duty rates for overseas buyers, possibly up to 10% surcharge (from 2%). Maybe the higher rate for additional properties goes from 3 to 5 as well.
    Time these clowns had a lightbulb moment and realised it would be better to build social housing with public money rather than pay their chums bloated private rents.
    They do - the usual issue is that only X% can be social housing because for the development to be "profitable" the rest needs to be sold on a commercial basis.

And then the game for the developer is to reduce that X% as much as possible due to increase in material costs.
  • Options

eek said:

Ben Ramanauskas
    @BenRamanauskas
    ·
    44m

Now that’s good craic
    I’m not so sure. Reform are taking more votes from Labour than from the Tories if the polls are right

I’ve said it on here many times. Britain will eventually get a populist right party and they will either be the Tories or more likely a replacement for the Tories
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@GuidoFawkes

There are now suggestions from multiple Tory MPs that Sunak needs to travel back to France today to meet veterans and apologise in person

Lucky he has the private helicopter on standby...

I am guessing this is a joke about going back? Or is it? Whatever he does it is now too late.

I do partly agree with @HYUFD that maybe he should not have apologised though not for the reasons given. He 100% should have attended the iternational commemoration so HYUFD is wrong about that I think.

By apologising though he has propelled the story into THE story and it may now be fatal.

Comparison to the terrible Gordon Brown Gillian Duffy gaffe don't compare to Sunak's blunder. Appearing to insult the veterans is about the worse possible thing you could ever do in British politics.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,162
    Good morning, everyone.

There are some things that are inexplicable, such as the conduct of the Angeli dynasty in Byzantium. Sunak's approach here is just bizarre. He has the subtlety of Kevin Magnussen and the team spirit of Esteban Ocon, combined with the raw talent of Lance Stroll.
  • Options
    @KateEMcCann

There are many reasons Sunak’s decision to leave early will damage him in this election - but two most glaring. He made defence & duty two cornerstones: ‘only Tories can keep you safe’ & ‘I did my duty during Covid’ In one decision PM has made both of those messages undeliverable
  • Options

From calling the GE at the wrong time in the pissing down rain to stupid National Service arrangements

The only game changer available to him is something I have been predicting for years they might play.

The announcement of a Referendum on the death penalty on certain types of horrible criminals if reelected would unfortunately be a game changer with huge swathes of the Population.

Really? I don't think it would sway many votes at all.
  • Options
    edited June 7
    boulay said:

Sandpit said:

Anyone?

Do you think he would have stayed for deeply respectful reasons, because he really wanted to honour the sacrifice or because he felt he needed to and wanted to hobnob with other leaders?

It seems Rishi is being slammed for disrespect rather than the opportunity to mix it with men in suits in a beach.
    To be honest, a fair amount of both. Boris did understand his history, and would have understood the importance of the day, almost certainly the last time we’ll see WWII veterans at a public event. Boris would have shaken the hands of every last one of them, and stayed until the very end of the day.
  • Options

Rishi has effectively detonated a nuclear bomb on the CON remaining chances of holding a reasonable number of seats

Unbelievably there is a real possibility of CON getting low double digit seats sub 50, may be at the bottom of that range, and only around 15% of the vote!

I'm on at 25/1 for Tories to get less than 49 seats. This was from a week or so ago. it is no 6.

• Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,451
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

REF must be favourite to beat CON in vote share now especially if Farage does well in the debate tonight.
  • Options

I cannot afford my mortgage but what really matters to me is bringing back the death penalty?

Riiiiiiight
  • Options
    edited June 7
    Does Sunak even make it to GE day? Starmer is the luckiest general, there is literally nothing the Tories can throw at him how to make him look worse.
  • Options

The Tories need to die. It’s that simple. Their pathetic warmed-over Blairism doesn’t cut it any more. They have no idea what to do next except make money for themselves and their friends

Their time has come. Let them die a peaceful death
  • Options

Who the hell is advising Number 10? Maggie would never have left D-Day early. Partly because she had too much political nous, but also Sir Bernard Ingham would have known it was a crass thing to do.

The Tories need to get rid of the bright young things and replace them with a bunch of late middle-aged curmudgeonly Yorkshire blokes... They'd know the score.

They do need to call in a rescue team and get rid of the idiots running the show right now.

There is clearly nobody who thinks the Tories can win or even be largest party so it makes sense to run a campaign to save as many seats as possible, parachute in centrists so when the next leader is chosen it’s from the less fruitcakey wing, really push Labour on tax plans whilst not being exactly honest about the Tories own plans, because they will never have to be tested.

However they need to get people in who look at what he’s going to say, where he’s going and actually think - should you be doing this, what can go wrong. Some “no people” rather than “yes men”.

Strip everything back to taxes, immigration, and the odd culture war treat. Remember they can say what they like for dog whistles because they will never have to enact it. Just save seats. This is another election where it’s good to lose (yes I know nobody wants to lose and be out of power).
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

No 10 are apparently denying the story that Richi originally was not going to attend at all.

One leaked email could end this

Do not fret @Scott_xP Thursday 4th July will
  • Options
    Leon said:

No

Public execution and heads on spikes is the minimum requirement
  • Options
    DopermeanDopermean Posts: 55
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Are you suggesting this possibility by %vote or seats?
    %vote has a much higher chance than seats I'd have thought.
    Personally I'm tempted by 4-1 on Reform 0 seats and have laid Reform 7+ seats at ~4-1
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,081
    On topic, and somewhat late to the party, I am not sure that there is much value in Biden at 2-1 at the moment. Trump remains the strong favourite for very good reasons.

He is ahead in all of the battle ground states, he is marginally ahead in the overall polling which he can afford to lose by at least 3%, his conviction has made virtually no difference to the polling, he will not face any more trials before November, it is getting increasingly difficult to see what is going to change this.

I wish this was not so but Biden is losing and running out of ammunition. Bewildering but true.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,454
    boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

This is the problem

@jessphillips

Rishi Sunak thinks he's the cleverest most important man in any room. His decision yesterday was made on that basis. He thought what he had to do was more important, he always thinks he is more important. Dripping not just in rain but also in privilege
    He might think he’s the cleverest man in a room but I doubt very much he’s the sort who thinks he’s the most important - if he did then he would have been forcing himself to the front with the big leaders at D-Day - he seems more like a nerd who knows he’s clever but overcompensates with that to cover his insecurity about whether he has status, earned or unearned.
    He's not clever.
  • Options
    edited June 7
    boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

@andrewhunterm

Isn't satire a pretty well-attested weapon, even and perhaps especially with war?

Think of The Wipers Times.

• Options

If Rishi offers it, Farage would match it instantly - so I don't see what it offers him...
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,188
    boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

@andrewhunterm

"Solemn prose"? Give over.
    The honouring of those who sacrificed themselves (or who were sacrificed unwillingly) is understandable but we should never let it spill over into something religious where irony and satire are considered blasphemy.
    In fact, I feel these secular prayers have become a bit cliched. Worn out through unthinking repetition. Which is no reflection on the sentiment as originally expressed but of the culty rut we now find ourselves in.

If you want war commemorations to stay meaningful -- and you should -- then you need to think past the form of sacred ritual and not condemn those you think have profaned it.
  • Options
    The D-Day fiasco has got to knock the Tory polling back a few % and below Reform, surely?

This campaign is beginning to make May's look not too bad.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,472

Sub 30% used to be basically impossible for Tory / Labour. By the day, people come back. Tories sub 20% can't be ruled out now.

I am sure HFYUD told me last night I was absolutely wrong this was a story, nobody was highlighting other than the Mirror and only highlighting this party because it was good for "my party" (no idea who my party is)....then the Telegraph ran it at 1am.

Yep. You are one of the PB Neutrals and got it spot on. HYUFD can be incisive and insightful - but not this time.
  • Options
    Dopermean said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Are you suggesting this possibility by %vote or seats?
    %vote has a much higher chance than seats I'd have thought.
    Personally I'm tempted by 4-1 on Reform 0 seats and have laid Reform 7+ seats at ~4-1
    I don't expect Reform to win seats - but Reform are going to be picking up right wing votes from people disgusted at Rishi so Rishi probably added a % or 4 to Reforms total.

and I think the votes Reform picked up yesterday are people who will go into the booth and vote Reform out of disgust of Rishi's behaviour yesterday.
  • Options
    edited June 7

The D-Day fiasco has got to knock the Tory polling back a few % and below Reform, surely?

We long since past being worse than May campaign. Sunak doesn't meet the public like May and crap policies. What did for May was the old death tax, but actually it a grown up attempt at trying to solve a real problem (that still hasn't been solved) vs Magic Grandpa promising free stuff to everybody.

I think we are now looking at worst ever in recent history. If it is revealed Sunak wasn't even going to attend and it was a comprise, I think it would be rock bottom.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The Tories need to die. It’s that simple. Their pathetic warmed-over Blairism doesn’t cut it any more. They have no idea what to do next except make money for themselves and their friends

I have been doing my best not to complete your last sentence
  • Options
    edited June 7
    DavidL said:

On topic, and somewhat late to the party, I am not sure that there is much value in Biden at 2-1 at the moment. Trump remains the strong favourite for very good reasons.

He is ahead in all of the battle ground states, he is marginally ahead in the overall polling which he can afford to lose by at least 3%, his conviction has made virtually no difference to the polling, he will not face any more trials before November, it is getting increasingly difficult to see what is going to change this.

I wish this was not so but Biden is losing and running out of ammunition. Bewildering but true.

Firstly, wrong on the post conviction polling.

The latest polls have it neck and neck, pre conviction Trump was ahead.

Second Biden has a huge advantage in that his convention is last, since 2000 the candidate whose convention is last, Gore 2000, Bush 2004, McCain 2008, Obama 2012 and Clinton 2016 has got the biggest convention bounce and all those candidates went into September ahead in the polls.
  • Options
    edited June 7
    eek said:

If Rishi offers it, Farage would match it instantly - so I don't see what it offers him...
    More to the point, if it were such a game-changer Farage will be pushing it anyway.

(Checks: it's not in Reform's current 'working draft' policy document.)
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,321

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

An illness might be convenient. I hear that an abscess is a nasty thing with a convalescence period long enough to cover the rest of the campaign.
    If he was ill, Party HQ could then deselect him and replace him with Douglas Ross.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,492
    DavidL said:

That depends where Trump is gaining votes.

A big swing to Trump in CA, NY, TX and FL gains him nothing.

Its perfectly possible that Trump wins the national popular vote but loses in the EC.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@KateEMcCann

There are many reasons Sunak’s decision to leave early will damage him in this election - but two most glaring. He made defence & duty two cornerstones: ‘only Tories can keep you safe’ & ‘I did my duty during Covid’ In one decision PM has made both of those messages undeliverable

3 cornerstones

You miss - 'National Service - will instil people with respect' something that Rishi clearly lacks...
  • Options

I will be staggered if the weekend polls aren't a total disaster for Tories.

It's over.
  • Options
    edited June 7
    Chris said:

boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

This is the problem

@jessphillips

He's not clever.
    Well we know he isn’t compared to you but he must be relatively clever to have got into the Universities and jobs he did. Out of interest were you at say, Cambridge then a scholarship to MIT? Guess it was better than Oxford then an MBA from Stanford on a Fulbright a scholarship - just trying to work out how you rate his cleverness compared to yours?

Will you be giving up your hugely dynamic successful career to share the benefit of your intelligence with the nation or just carp from the sidelines?
  • Options
    The media are all over this and some are seeking his resignation

I am so angry that he has hurt so many and probably lost even more of his colleagues seats

When I broke the story last night I anticipated this would happen today because it was so obvious
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,188

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

If he was ill, Party HQ could then deselect him and replace him with Douglas Ross.
    The dangerously underemployed Douglas Ross
  • Options

eek said:

More to the point, if it were such a game-changer Farage will be pushing it anyway.

(Checks: it's not in Reform's current 'working draft' policy document.)
    Yep because I actually don't think it's a popular policy in the real world. It looks great but the miscarriages or so well known that people deep down it's best to leave things as they are..
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,288
    HYUFD said:

Nice try, Comrade,

The shit is only flying in one direction.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Who the hell is advising Number 10? Maggie would never have left D-Day early. Partly because she had too much political nous, but also Sir Bernard Ingham would have known it was a crass thing to do.

The Tories need to get rid of the bright young things and replace them with a bunch of late middle-aged curmudgeonly Yorkshire blokes... They'd know the score.

They do need to call in a rescue team and get rid of the idiots running the show right now.

There is clearly nobody who thinks the Tories can win or even be largest party so it makes sense to run a campaign to save as many seats as possible, parachute in centrists so when the next leader is chosen it’s from the less fruitcakey wing, really push Labour on tax plans whilst not being exactly honest about the Tories own plans, because they will never have to be tested.

However they need to get people in who look at what he’s going to say, where he’s going and actually think - should you be doing this, what can go wrong. Some “no people” rather than “yes men”.

Strip everything back to taxes, immigration, and the odd culture war treat. Remember they can say what they like for dog whistles because they will never have to enact it. Just save seats. This is another election where it’s good to lose (yes I know nobody wants to lose and be out of power).
    Sunak has done a Ratner, but turned the dial up to eleven.
  • Options
    edited June 7
    Leon said:

Replaced by what? PM Farage in 5-10 years?

There are plenty of us like me who are also ideological Tories and would be even if they got 0 seats, we are not going to vote Reform, we are certainly not going to vote Labour or Green and nor are we going to vote LD nationally either.

The Farage premiership you so desperately want also cannot happen without Tories like me switching to vote for him. That would require a Tory and Reform merger as in Canada where a new Conservative Party was created ultimately as eventually happened under FPTP. If we went to PR of course the Tories could easily continue as a separate party on just 10-20% of the vote and indeed still win 60-120 seats with that
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,472
    Does anyone know why Sunak did this? Aside from the horrible message it sent, what was the reason for it? Seems a pointless unforced error by Sunny.
  • Options
    Everybody expects politicians to do a bit of CV padding e.g. Peleton every day at 6am, just a humble son of a toolmaker.

But doing war commemorations isn't optional or negotiable.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,478
    Sunak asking young people to do National Service or to volunteer one weekend a month and then couldn’t be arsed to spend a full day honouring veterans . This will be another take on events .

This latest own goal by him just feeds into other policy announcements .

If you’re on the left liberal wing and echoing that superb post by Big G North Wales we need to be worried about what’s to come.

So us liberal lefties are in the weird position of obviously wanting the Tories to lose but to not get pulverized and certainly we don’t want Farage winning in Clacton .

I’m sure the other parties will have their gaffes during the campaign and will have those very bad news days but Sunak really needs to get a grip .

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,189
    Bloody hell ...

So it turns out Rishi Sunak originally refused to go to the D-Day commemorations *at all* and only agreed to go for part of it, in a "compromise" with the French.

https://x.com/AdamBienkov/status/1798981053807558736
  • Options
    Jim_the_LurkerJim_the_Lurker Posts: 113

Indeed. It does seem to be self-sabotaging itself. I am not sure it is Sunak - albeit he is the boss so should crack the whip. From day one it has been a bit of a shower.

The launch was laughable. No one looked at the weather forecast. And it seems did not know that they were not allowed to do it inside Number 10. You would have thought they could have lined up a local school or something.

Going home yesterday was symptomatic of the screw ups. Fancy leaving Starmer the opportunity to look prime ministerial during an election campaign. Are they idiots! The interview doesn’t screen until next week. If it was something for now there may be more sympathy, but all I sense is derision.
  • Options

Leon said:

I have been doing my best not to complete your last sentence
    Now now Big G. Enough thoughts of mortality. There’s life in you yet. Have a glass of vino
  • Options
    Leon said:

eek said:

Ben Ramanauskas
    @BenRamanauskas
    ·
    44m

Now that’s good craic
    I’m not so sure. Reform are taking more votes from Labour than from the Tories if the polls are right

I’ve said it on here many times. Britain will eventually get a populist right party and they will either be the Tories or more likely a replacement for the Tories
    There's definitely a cautionary 'be careful what you wish for' floating around, but fuck it: let's see the Tories skewered and deal with Reform after next month.
  • Options
    edited June 7

Indeed. It does seem to be self-sabotaging itself. I am not sure it is Sunak - albeit he is the boss so should crack the whip. From day one it has been a bit of a shower.

The launch was laughable. No one looked at the weather forecast. And it seems did not know that they were not allowed to do it inside Number 10. You would have thought they could have lined up a local school or something.

Going home yesterday was symptomatic of the screw ups. Fancy leaving Starmer the opportunity to look prime ministerial during an election campaign. Are they idiots! The interview doesn’t screen until next week. If it was something for now there may be more sympathy, but all I sense is derision.
    The being sent to the titanic you can definitely place the fault on your team, in those situations you are just been driven from place to place.

When you are at a massive WW2 commemorations, major world leaders and royalty are there, whatever your team tell you is up next you tell them to get stuffed, particularly if it is just an ITV interview (they will reschedule).
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,997
    nico679 said:

Sunak asking young people to do National Service or to volunteer one weekend a month and then couldn’t be arsed to spend a full day honouring veterans . This will be another take on events .

This latest own goal by him just feeds into other policy announcements .

If you’re on the left liberal wing and echoing that superb post by Big G North Wales we need to be worried about what’s to come.

So us liberal lefties are in the weird position of obviously wanting the Tories to lose but to not get pulverized and certainly we don’t want Farage winning in Clacton .

I’m sure the other parties will have their gaffes during the campaign and will have those very bad news days but Sunak really needs to get a grip .

It's a very easy retort in the next debate...
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,575
    algarkirk said:

boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

@jonsopel

What a vivid and shocking contrast: the sacrifice of all those brave men so that 80 years on the prime minister could cut short his visit to where they fell so that he could return to London to attack his opponent.

On such judgements we learn about character

I’m sure as they were running up that beach they were thinking “we’re doing this so everyone has to behave in a perfectly ordered way in the future and be forced into attending ceremonies”.

My grandfather wasn’t flying his plane bombing Normandy on D-Day for anything like this confected wank. He was doing it because it was his duty, his job, orders and ultimately he didn’t want the country and Europe to be run by fascists who did not tolerate people not doing what they are ordered to do.

It’s fucking tedious this whole “they didn’t sacrifice their lives for this” - they didn’t care about this sort of shit.
    Huge truth in this. The generation that served - my father's generation - now nearly all dead, was the generation that we boomers knew. They brought up us, they were our teachers, neighbours and all that. They were more than glad we won, and knew that slavery awaited us if we lost, glad to get home, many would spend a bit of time on one day each in November remembering, and attending something local, wearing a red poppy. But only a small minority made a lifelong huge ceremonial thing of it. They were mostly unemphatic quiet small 'l' liberals.
    Yes, this is right. My own grandad had a long and I would guess pretty traumatic war, fighting across North Africa, Iraq and up through Italy - he was at Montecassino.

He died when I was very young, so I didn’t get to know him well but I do know that while he kept an album of his time at war, he rarely spoke about it, returning to a quiet life first running a shop than working in a factory. A brave man who was also a champion amateur cyclist (and a vegetarian a long time before it was popular). I doubt he would be impressed by any of these opportunists.

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,492

They may be young but they're not bright.

Even worse they think they're cleverer than they are.

The Downing Street bubble has been a trail of disaster for years - the lockdown parties being only the most notable illustration.

There's a few PBers who might fit your job description of what is required instead.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Speaking of which, do we know how TSE is? I hope he's on the mend soon.
  • Options

Bloody hell ...

So it turns out Rishi Sunak originally refused to go to the D-Day commemorations *at all* and only agreed to go for part of it, in a "compromise" with the French.

https://x.com/AdamBienkov/status/1798981053807558736

Seriously? What the f***.
This discussion has been closed.