Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Bookmark this post and these tweets – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,415
    carnforth said:

Greater Manchester Police is not expected to take any further action in relation to Angela Rayner

https://x.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1795468282570416508

Oh well, sorry Rishi! What an utter waste of money.

Not sure the police are the only antagonists here. HMRC?
    HMRC also not taking any further action.

HM Revenue and Customs also looked into Angela Rayner’s tax arrangements relating to the sale of her first home, at her request, and it is understood that no further action is being taken.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2024/may/28/tories-triple-lock-plus-planned-tax-cut-pensioners-labour-rishi-sunak-general-election
  • First Westminster voting intention from the campaign period.

23 point Labour lead.

LAB 47 (-1)
    CON 24 (-3)
    LD 11 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (-)

https://x.com/Survation/status/1795478016052633732
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Excellent information.

Thanks for posting.

Today's We Think has Lab lead up 2 at 25 SKS landslide

Guido's confirmed a positive poll for the Tories
    It shows Massive Johnson would be doing even worse?
    Positive from the Tories' perspective then. Small blue lead?
    Over whom?
    Everyone else? Like, leading the polls? Certainly the rumour that Guido’s presenting

I am not seeing that on the Guido Twitter feed, just the report of a rumour there is a positive poll for the Tories. But maybe I am not picking all the Tweets up. Anyway, Survation would see to be the obvious contender as it had Labour on 48 last week with the Greens on 2, so that looked like a significant outlier and Labour's number is almost certain to go down. If ythat is accompanied by a rise in the Tory number, it would certainly be interesting.

• Best PM:

Rishi Sunak: 29% (-)
    Keir Starmer: 40% (-3)
    Don’t know: 32% (+3)

https://x.com/Survation/status/1795478018808217907

Party leaders’ trust on the economy:

Rishi Sunak: 31% (-1)
    Keir Starmer: 40% (-1)
    Don’t know: 29% (+3)

hancellor and Shadow Chancellor’s trust on the economy:

Jeremy Hunt: 30% (-1)
    Rachel Reeves: 42% (-1)
    Don’t know: 28% (-2)

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,643

eek said:

First as I was with that chart on here...

Edit to add -the important thing to remember is that in most election swingback occurs so the polling figures from Yellow / Green pollsters will be more accurate, however in 1997 that wasn't the case and the Red posters were more accurate.

Take your pick but one side (swingback) gives the Tories 100-200 seats and the other anything from 20-140...

Swingback, you say?

So far, it's striking how little that dog has barked. These graphs are up to late March 2024, but not a lot has happened since then ...

(I hope that's using my ration well.)

https://twitter.com/drjennings/status/1773858624411975958
    Interesting, bit what we really want to see is the 100 days before the election, not 1500.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,459

First Westminster voting intention from the campaign period.

23 point Labour lead.

LAB 47 (-1)
    CON 24 (-3)
    LD 11 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (-)

That's not what CCHQ was thinking.

Was it?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,339
    @Survation
    NEW: First Westminster voting intention from the campaign period.

23 point Labour lead.

LAB 47 (-1)
    CON 24 (-3)
    LD 11 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 4 (-)

F/w 24th - 27th May. Changes vs. 22nd May 2024.
  • That is a swing away from the Tories just within the MoE, so basically the campaign has yet made no difference?
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    Chris Hopkins just made a comment about pollsters warning about 'changes outside the MoE' needing caution and 'be interesting to see if they fo' for this one........'
    Which suggests a big drop in lead with one of them or a big vote share leap
  • MJWMJW Posts: 1,623
    Well it's not Survation giving the Tories hope.

https://twitter.com/Survation/status/1795478013594735043
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,258
    kle4 said:

Closing argument for Trump's defense seems to be going reasonably well, minimising his involvement in things and presenting it all as much ado about nothing, but then if you cannot pull together a decent closing argument in a case you might as well turn in your bar licence.

They are actually being extremely naughty, at least if their rules of evidence are anything like ours. They are trying to give Trump's evidence for him when he chose not to go on to the stand and face cross. Saying what Trump might have said or meant when he has not given evidence is not on. I expect that the Judge will emphasise that when he gives his directions.

• Scott_xP said:

@Survation

23 point Labour lead.

LAB 47 (-1)
    CON 24 (-3)
    LD 11 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 4 (-)

Thanks for re-posting my own post Scott. Goodness me you're getting slow.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,255

23 point Labour lead.

LAB 47 (-1)
    CON 24 (-3)
    LD 11 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (-)

Devastating dip in the Labour share.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,352
    The polls were always going to close in the campaign, just due to visibility alone. The idea that a 20pt lead wouldn’t wobble was absurd.

The interesting thing is how people respond.

In the meantime, the shock and awe Conservative campaign is definitely capturing attention. Not to be underestimated. Quite Trumpian.
    Not Survation then ...

23 point Labour lead.

LAB 47 (-1)
    CON 24 (-3)
    LD 11 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 4 (-)

R&W and JL Partners also with numbers tonight. It must be one of those two.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,311
    DM_Andy said:

DM_Andy said:

DM_Andy said:

eek said:

FPT

DM_Andy said:

eek said:

DM_Andy said:

Scott_xP said:

Doctor Who and Sherlock writer Steven Moffat: "our current government basically found somebody else's mandate down the back of a sofa and that's not how it's supposed to work."

Dr Who is a load of shite, and Brown didn't win a general election. Apart from that, well done.
    He said Boris won an election which he did.
    He also says "we have a PM who not only didn't win an election".
    Same as Brown. And Dr Who is a load of shite.
    It's a misunderstanding of our electoral system - Rishi has won multiple elections in Richmondshire and there is no such thing as an election for PM, they are appointed based on the party whose candidates won most (local seats).

Even the fact he didn't win the party vote makes little sense - Rishi won the vote of the Tory MPs only to lose it to in the membership vote...
    That argument sounds bizarre to me. The rules of the Tory Leadership is that the MPs pick the top two and then the members pick between them, you can't just ignore the rules and say that Sunak didn't lose because he come first in the first part of the contest. Who's to say that between Truss and Sunak the Tory MPs wouldn't have gone for Truss anyway?

The way things were originally structured was MPs get elected to represent their constituents and they then elect a leader who is Prime Minister.

That was changed when the membership was given a say in picking the leader of the party but my view of that has always been that members can have a say in opposition but only MPs should have a say when the party is in Government.

What we saw in 2022 was a leader being elected by a small minority of the public who then enacted polices that that small minority loved but within 2 months almost destroyed the economy...
    It all seems rather tame compared to the oddity of presidential pardons...
    We do have the royal pardon, there's nothing to stop Rishi Sunak letting anyone he likes out of prison, it's just that we don't do it as much as the Americans do.
    How often is the royal pardon used?

The US's presidential pardon is of a different scale:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_pardoned_or_granted_clemency_by_the_president_of_the_United_States
    As far as I can work out 3 since 2000 (for living prisoners), but as I said, we don't do it as much as the Americans do.
    Indeed. And do you *agree* with those three? Were they valid or invalid?

Royal pardons seem to be a powerful power that is rarely used, and then not for the sake of the power.

Unlike presidential pardons.
    There was Steve Gallant, the murderer on day release who defended people from the London Bridge attacker in 2019 and I think that most people would agree that he deserved early release. However I imagine his victim's family wouldn't feel like Gallant's heroic actions undid the harm he caused to them. It's a difficult decision to make and I'm glad that I wouldn't ever have to make it.
    Gallant had been in jail for fourteen years of a seventeen year sentence, and the pardon apparently allowed him to apply for early release. Ten months early.
    https://www.hudgellsolicitors.co.uk/news/civil-liberties/prisoner-steven-gallant-granted-royal-pardon-to-apply-for-early-release-after-exceptionally-brave-actions-tackling-london-bridge-terrorist

"However I imagine his victim's family wouldn't feel like Gallant's heroic actions undid the harm he caused to them."

"In an extraordinary turn of events, the family of firefighter Barrie Jackson, whom Gallant killed outside a pub in Hull, backed the decision to free the murderer early."
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/oct/18/murderer-who-tackled-london-bridge-attacker-with-narwhal-tusk-pardoned

IMV it was a case of a power rarely used, that was wisely used.

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Excellent information.

Thanks for posting.

Over whom?
    Everyone else? Like, leading the polls? Certainly the rumour that Guido’s presenting

I am not seeing that on the Guido Twitter feed, just the report of a rumour there is a positive poll for the Tories. But maybe I am not picking all the Tweets up. Anyway, Survation would see to be the obvious contender as it had Labour on 48 last week with the Greens on 2, so that looked like a significant outlier and Labour's number is almost certain to go down. If ythat is accompanied by a rise in the Tory number, it would certainly be interesting.

Must R&W and/or JL Partners.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,559

Scott_xP said:

@Survation

23 point Labour lead.

LAB 47 (-1)
    CON 24 (-3)
    LD 11 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 4 (-)

Thanks for re-posting my own post Scott. Goodness me you're getting slow.
    Scott P never knowingly posting anything of his own.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,428

23 point Labour lead.

LAB 47 (-1)
    CON 24 (-3)
    LD 11 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (-)

Possibilities.

The "positive" poll is coming from Redfield and Wilton, the scamps.

Being above twenty percent is seen as positive by the Conservatives.

Guido was, however inadvertently, spreading a rumour that turned out to not be true.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,860

23 point Labour lead.

LAB 47 (-1)
    CON 24 (-3)
    LD 11 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (-)

Maybe it’s the Redfield and Wilton mega poll out in half an hour . I should say that a larger sample doesn’t always mean a more accurate poll . Any errors are magnified so you have to ensure your sampling is on the ball .

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,557
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

Closing argument for Trump's defense seems to be going reasonably well, minimising his involvement in things and presenting it all as much ado about nothing, but then if you cannot pull together a decent closing argument in a case you might as well turn in your bar licence.

They are actually being extremely naughty, at least if their rules of evidence are anything like ours. They are trying to give Trump's evidence for him when he chose not to go on to the stand and face cross. Saying what Trump might have said or meant when he has not given evidence is not on. I expect that the Judge will emphasise that when he gives his directions.

That sounds like a reckless strategy, rather than a naughty one. If their speech is disallowed in evidence doesn't that leave the defence with a number of awkward holes in it?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,534

23 point Labour lead.

LAB 47 (-1)
    CON 24 (-3)
    LD 11 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (-)

Lib Dems on course to win a majority.
  • BatteryCorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorse Posts: 3,041
    edited May 28
    Harry Cole reckons R&F or JL show a smaller lead.

So questions, do R&F/JL attempt to move voters from don't know unlike Survation?
    Harry the cuck says 'I'm told others show tightening tonight'
    Yeah yeah
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,696

23 point Labour lead.

LAB 47 (-1)
    CON 24 (-3)
    LD 11 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (-)

...oh be still my beating heart...

:blush:
  • eekeek Posts: 27,356
    edited May 28

23 point Labour lead.

LAB 47 (-1)
    CON 24 (-3)
    LD 11 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (-)

Possibilities.

Guido was, however inadvertently, spreading a rumour that turned out to not be true.
    That polling is bad - very bad for the Tories.
    It's almost the worst ever polling for the Tories by Survation
    has a Labour lead well above where it was before (they clearly state their tory lead has historically been a steady 17-18 points while other polls ranged from 16-25 points
    And the Tory vote seems to have gone to Lab / Lib Dems rather than Reform

so the tory plan to shore up Reform minded voters hasn't change reform votes but is scaring centralist tory voters away.
  • BatteryCorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorse Posts: 3,041
    edited May 28
    10-15 point lead from JL/Redfield I reckon

So questions, do R&F/JL attempt to move voters from don't know unlike Survation?

No/yes respectively
    Foxy said:

eek said:

First as I was with that chart on here...

Edit to add -the important thing to remember is that in most election swingback occurs so the polling figures from Yellow / Green pollsters will be more accurate, however in 1997 that wasn't the case and the Red posters were more accurate.

Take your pick but one side (swingback) gives the Tories 100-200 seats and the other anything from 20-140...

Swingback, you say?

So far, it's striking how little that dog has barked. These graphs are up to late March 2024, but not a lot has happened since then ...

(I hope that's using my ration well.)

https://twitter.com/drjennings/status/1773858624411975958
    Interesting, bit what we really want to see is the 100 days before the election, not 1500.
    I think my take is that big swingback starts well before the campaign proper- a couple of years out. Baiscally, a well-organised government does the painful necessary stuff in years 1 and 2 with the hope that it will visibly pay off by year 4. Hence mid-term blues and the swing back from them.

Coivd rather blew up that model for the class of 2019, though Boris's hatred of short term pain and Truss's impatience would have done that anyway.

See the chart above R&F assume they won't vote and ignore them JL re-weight...
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,267
    edited May 28
    Looking forward to the first MRP survey, whoever does it.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,396
    edited May 28
    eek said:

23 point Labour lead.

LAB 47 (-1)
    CON 24 (-3)
    LD 11 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (-)

Possibilities.

has a Labour lead well above where it was before (they clearly state their tory lead had been 17-18 points while other polls ranged from 16-25 points

so the tory plan to shore up Reform minded voters hasn't change reform votes but is scaring centralist tory voters away.
    I have voted Tory in every General Election except the one where I was 18 (2001) when I voted Labour.

I've not decided whom I'll vote for this election, but there's not a snowball's chance in hell of it being Rishi Sunak's National Service party.

A campaign supporting working people as Jeremy Hunt has tried to do with cutting NI, making that a centrepiece, I could have been won back, but Sunak has driven a stake through any chance of that now.
    @GuidoFawkes

Tory MP disappointment has been triggered.
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 1,127

DM_Andy said:

DM_Andy said:

DM_Andy said:

eek said:

FPT

DM_Andy said:

eek said:

DM_Andy said:

Scott_xP said:

Doctor Who and Sherlock writer Steven Moffat: "our current government basically found somebody else's mandate down the back of a sofa and that's not how it's supposed to work."

Dr Who is a load of shite, and Brown didn't win a general election. Apart from that, well done.
    It's a misunderstanding of our electoral system - Rishi has won multiple elections in Richmondshire and there is no such thing as an election for PM, they are appointed based on the party whose candidates won most (local seats).

Even the fact he didn't win the party vote makes little sense - Rishi won the vote of the Tory MPs only to lose it to in the membership vote...
    That argument sounds bizarre to me. The rules of the Tory Leadership is that the MPs pick the top two and then the members pick between them, you can't just ignore the rules and say that Sunak didn't lose because he come first in the first part of the contest. Who's to say that between Truss and Sunak the Tory MPs wouldn't have gone for Truss anyway?

The way things were originally structured was MPs get elected to represent their constituents and they then elect a leader who is Prime Minister.

That was changed when the membership was given a say in picking the leader of the party but my view of that has always been that members can have a say in opposition but only MPs should have a say when the party is in Government.

What we saw in 2022 was a leader being elected by a small minority of the public who then enacted polices that that small minority loved but within 2 months almost destroyed the economy...
    We do have the royal pardon, there's nothing to stop Rishi Sunak letting anyone he likes out of prison, it's just that we don't do it as much as the Americans do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_pardoned_or_granted_clemency_by_the_president_of_the_United_States
    As far as I can work out 3 since 2000 (for living prisoners), but as I said, we don't do it as much as the Americans do.
    Indeed. And do you *agree* with those three? Were they valid or invalid?

Royal pardons seem to be a powerful power that is rarely used, and then not for the sake of the power.

Unlike presidential pardons.
    There was Steve Gallant, the murderer on day release who defended people from the London Bridge attacker in 2019 and I think that most people would agree that he deserved early release. However I imagine his victim's family wouldn't feel like Gallant's heroic actions undid the harm he caused to them. It's a difficult decision to make and I'm glad that I wouldn't ever have to make it.
    Gallant had been in jail for fourteen years of a seventeen year sentence, and the pardon apparently allowed him to apply for early release. Ten months early.
    https://www.hudgellsolicitors.co.uk/news/civil-liberties/prisoner-steven-gallant-granted-royal-pardon-to-apply-for-early-release-after-exceptionally-brave-actions-tackling-london-bridge-terrorist

"However I imagine his victim's family wouldn't feel like Gallant's heroic actions undid the harm he caused to them."

"In an extraordinary turn of events, the family of firefighter Barrie Jackson, whom Gallant killed outside a pub in Hull, backed the decision to free the murderer early."
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/oct/18/murderer-who-tackled-london-bridge-attacker-with-narwhal-tusk-pardoned

IMV it was a case of a power rarely used, that was wisely used.
    I went by the actual quote from Barrie Jackson's son "I have mixed emotions – but what happened at London Bridge goes to show the reality that people can change.” rather than the gloss the Guardian put on his words but if you want to just nitpick to the nth degree then be my guest.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,798

DM_Andy said:

eek said:

FPT

DM_Andy said:

eek said:

DM_Andy said:

Scott_xP said:

The US's presidential pardon is of a
    different scale:
    Wasn’t it used for the narwhal tusk guy? Even then they only gave him about 9 month off
    eek said:

23 point Labour lead.

LAB 47 (-1)
    CON 24 (-3)
    LD 11 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (-)

Possibilities.

has a Labour lead well above where it was before (they clearly state their tory lead had been 17-18 points while other polls ranged from 16-25 points

Which some people were saying was always likely. If you go culture war, you legitimise the culture warriors which puts off the centrists. But it doesn't satisfy the warriors either. To quote the Danny Baker Show, it's giving a starving dog a rubber bone.
    Scott_xP said:

@GuidoFawkes

Tory MP disappointment has been triggered.

I said that ban on tractor videos would annoy them.

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Excellent information.

Thanks for posting.

Over whom?

JL Partners is the most Tory-leaning of the pack at the moment, their last poll had Labour on 41%, Conservatives on 26% and Reform on 13% so maybe Con+Ref>Lab?
    edited May 28
    eek said:

23 point Labour lead.

LAB 47 (-1)
    CON 24 (-3)
    LD 11 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (-)

Possibilities.

has a Labour lead well above where it was before (they clearly state their tory lead has historically been a steady 17-18 points while other polls ranged from 16-25 points

To misquote Sir Humphrey, to call what they're doing a 'plan' is to confuse inadequacy for strategy.
    According to the Guardian , HMRC will not be taking any action against Rayner .

• Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,030
    ‘These is your cheat sheet for identifying which pollster belongs in which group. Yellows and greens tend to show reduced Labour leads.’

#strawclutching
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

That sounds like a reckless strategy, rather than a naughty one. If their speech is disallowed in evidence doesn't that leave the defence with a number of awkward holes in it?
    What defence? There isn't a defence. The only witnesses called by the defence were a record keeper and an attorney who did nothing but bad mouth Cohen. None of the substantive facts have been in dispute from the beginning of the trial and the vouching produced has been fairly comprehensive. So, for example, Blanche is now maintaining that Cohen decided to pay Stormy $130k himself without any sanction or authorisation from Trump. There is absolutely no evidence before the court which vouches that.

If he wasn't paying Daniels why was there a NDA? Its ridiculous.

The only defence is that there is no crime, that all of what the state have proven he did was just the normal business of politics and election campaigns and that there was nothing illegal about it. We have a series of entries which amount to false entries but these are just misdemeanours and they can't be converted into crimes unless they are to facilitate a crime.

Instead, the defence seems to be gambling on trying to disprove the evidence heard in the closing argument. American law may be different but to me it just sounds weird. Our juries are always told that the speeches and indeed the charge from the Judge are not evidence. The evidence is the answers given by witnesses who were there to be crossed and challenged.
    edited May 28
    ElectoralCalcalus for a laugh

Labour 504
    Tories 64
    Lib Dems 48
    Green 1
    SNP 12

I missed a trick I didn't realise that Labour need 500 seats for the Tories to be below 50..

Edit now rectified - Labour 500+ seats at 16-1 taken.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,643
    edited May 28
    eek said:

See the chart above R&F assume they won't vote and ignore them JL re-weight...
    Ignoring the DKs doesn't assume that they won't vote, it assumes they will vote in the same proportion as the Do Knows.

Worth noting that DKs are almost always 2/3 female, so not a Tory friendly demographic.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,071
    MattW said:

Still digging...

"Human Scum"

(Aiui Trump refused a test, not that it was -ve.)

Carroll’s lawyers have said they’re suing again over this tweet.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,149
    kle4 said:

DM_Andy said:

DM_Andy said:

eek said:

FPT

DM_Andy said:

eek said:

DM_Andy said:

Scott_xP said:

I didn't even know we still had pardon powers. The Presidential and Governor pardons seems absurdly high.
    High? Well, no clue how much Trump charged on average per pardon, though personally reckon it may have been bit more than $0. Perhaps greater (with inflation factored in) than Lloyd George's average take per peerage?

At the US state level, knew a guy who claimed that he got out of prison in Mississippi, because his mother paid somewhere south of $1,000 (over half-century ago) to someone in the governor's office. Certainly NOT unheard of esp. in Southern states.
  • AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,415

10-15 point lead from JL/Redfield I reckon

Last poll from JLP was:

Labour: 41%
    Conservatives: 26%
    Lib Dem: 11%
    SNP: 3%
    Green: 5%
    Refuk: 13%
    *Labour leads by 15 points*
    The Rest is Politics / J.L. Partners voting intention poll - 2-5 May 2024

So from before the Refuk share started to fall back - you'd definitely be expecting a Refuk-Con swing from those numbers.

MattW said:

Still digging...

"Human Scum"

Presumably his appeal is also stepmom on porn levels of fucked?
    Fwiw Redfield send embargoed copies of their polls out in the am to various quarters. So if it were them, the info would be in the embargoed domain
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,030

Not Survation then ...

23 point Labour lead.

LAB 47 (-1)
    CON 24 (-3)
    LD 11 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (-)
    OTH 4 (-)

R&W and JL Partners also with numbers tonight. It must be one of those two.

Unless it was a positive poll for the Lib Dems.

23 point Labour lead.

LAB 47 (-1)
    CON 24 (-3)
    LD 11 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (-)

Possibilities.

Say it isn't so.

MattW said:

Still digging...

"Human Scum"

Meechan has difficult decisions to make about what to do about the repeated breaches of his court order. He really should jail him for a period now. He has had plenty of warnings.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,529
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

What defence? There isn't a defence. The only witnesses called by the defence were a record keeper and an attorney who did nothing but bad mouth Cohen. None of the substantive facts have been in dispute from the beginning of the trial and the vouching produced has been fairly comprehensive. So, for example, Blanche is now maintaining that Cohen decided to pay Stormy $130k himself without any sanction or authorisation from Trump. There is absolutely no evidence before the court which vouches that.

If he wasn't paying Daniels why was there a NDA? Its ridiculous.

The only defence is that there is no crime, that all of what the state have proven he did was just the normal business of politics and election campaigns and that there was nothing illegal about it. We have a series of entries which amount to false entries but these are just misdemeanours and they can't be converted into crimes unless they are to facilitate a crime.

Instead, the defence seems to be gambling on trying to disprove the evidence heard in the closing argument. American law may be different but to me it just sounds weird. Our juries are always told that the speeches and indeed the charge from the Judge are not evidence. The evidence is the answers given by witnesses who were there to be crossed and challenged.
    Trying to get himself chucked in gaol?
    DM_Andy said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Excellent information.

Thanks for posting.

Over whom?

JL Partners is the most Tory-leaning of the pack at the moment, their last poll had Labour on 41%, Conservatives on 26% and Reform on 13% so maybe Con+Ref>Lab?
    Con 29%, Reform 10% or something similar would be my expectation. That doesn't actually help the tories as much as they hope though
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,435
    carnforth said:

Greater Manchester Police is not expected to take any further action in relation to Angela Rayner

https://x.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1795468282570416508

Oh well, sorry Rishi! What an utter waste of money.

Not sure the police are the only antagonists here...
    The Tory party doesn't count.
    Jonathan said:

The polls were always going to close in the campaign, just due to visibility alone. The idea that a 20pt lead wouldn’t wobble was absurd.

In the meantime, the shock and awe Conservative campaign is definitely capturing attention. Not to be underestimated. Quite Trumpian.

They (we) have to take risks.

Nothing to lose.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,459
    edited May 28

23 point Labour lead.

LAB 47 (-1)
    CON 24 (-3)
    LD 11 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (-)

According to Electoral Calculus they are due to increase from eight to 44 seats ffs! Where does that come from/how does that work??!
    The interesting thing about here poll rumours is how they can be true, surely it’s seriously against the interests of the polling firm to leak before the embargo.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,147
    nico679 said:

According to the Guardian , HMRC will not be taking any action against Rayner .

What a waste of time that was.
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

Still digging...

"Human Scum"

Presumably his appeal is also stepmom on porn levels of fucked?
    Its worse. Its Tory candidate levels of fucked.
  • So sounds like @Survation and @RedfieldWilton have Labour still 20+ ahead given what is flying around MPs whatsapps.... but @JLPartnersPolls sounds like it might give Tory MPs something to cheer...

https://x.com/MrHarryCole/status/1795484498743984267

So 2/3 say the Tories are buggered.

Jonathan said:

They (we) have to take risks.

Nothing to lose.
    Indeed, they’re playing Bazball. Quite clever IMO.
    eek said:

DM_Andy said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Excellent information.

Thanks for posting.

Over whom?

Con 29%, Reform 10% or something similar would be my expectation. That doesn't actually help the tories as much as they hope though
    My guess is some people vote Tory with the biggest clothes peg on their nose in history, just to ensure Labour don't have a landslide with zero opposition.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,435
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

What defence? There isn't a defence. The only witnesses called by the defence were a record keeper and an attorney who did nothing but bad mouth Cohen...
    ..and fairly clearly perjure himself on the stand, along with having the judge clear the court to admonish him for his behaviour.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,798

Dear Prime Minister. My cup of tea was not ready until 16:10. I hope I will not receive a month in prison as a result of my tardiness.

I ended up going with Nettle & Peppermint. With milk.

New look sandy?
    TOPPING said:

23 point Labour lead.

LAB 47 (-1)
    CON 24 (-3)
    LD 11 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (-)

According to Electoral Calculus they are due to increase from eight to 44 seats ffs! Where does that come from/how does that work??!
    I fail to see why that's implausible?

If they can go from 57 to 8 in one go, why can't they go from 11 to 44 seats in one go?
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,071
    Farooq said:

DavidL said:

MattW said:

Still digging...

"Human Scum"

Meechan has difficult decisions to make about what to do about the repeated breaches of his court order. He really should jail him for a period now. He has had plenty of warnings.
    It's not clear to me that the above breaches the gag order. Looks like potential trouble on the old repeated defamation front, but that's not Meechan's business is it?
    The tweet is about Carroll, not Daniels, so it doesn’t breach Meechan’s order, no.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
    Labour 46% (+1)
    Conservative 23% (–)
    Reform UK 13% (+1)
    Lib Dem 9% (-1)
    Green 5% (–)
    SNP 3% (+1)
    Other 3% (+2)

R&W

Labour +1, sample size: 12000. Cross tabs will be interesting.
    Redfield and Wilton have DDOS'd themselves!
  • CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 465

2024 GENERAL ELECTION MEGA POLL!

12,000 Sample.

Labour leads by 23%.

Westminster Voting Intention (25-27 May):

Labour 46% (+1)
    Conservative 23% (–)
    Reform UK 13% (+1)
    Lib Dem 9% (-1)
    Green 5% (–)
    SNP 3% (+1)
    Other 3% (+2)

Changes +/- 19 May

https://x.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1795485183073775620

Holy cow
    JL Partners were also the ones with that National Service poll showing it was +8 favourable and only -3 with 18-34 year olds. If there's anywhere near right, they should show a decent Tory improvement on the 26% they showed last time.
  • I think it's fair to say that the trend is "no change" in the first week.

Is it just possible the public have simply stopped listening.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023
    I mean, they are two utterly shocking polls for the Tories. So guessing any positive is the JL one
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,571
    Today's R&W with massive sample size has Lab lead up 1 to 23

SKS landslide
    The Redfield and Wilton fieldwork includes the National Service announcement but won’t capture Sunaks pensioner bribe .
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023

I mean, they are two utterly shocking polls for the Tories. So guessing any positive is the JL one

And on R&W and Survation, I’m expecting even more drastic policies. Reckon one is inheritance tax, the other leaving the ECHR
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,267
    Chameleon said:

Labour 46% (+1)
    Conservative 23% (–)
    Reform UK 13% (+1)
    Lib Dem 9% (-1)
    Green 5% (–)
    SNP 3% (+1)
    Other 3% (+2)

R&W

How do the Tories get themselves up to 30% and avoid total disaster?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,338
    edited May 28
    R&W poll just out

Edit: you guys are too quick for me - must try harder!
  • https://x.com/darrengrimes_/status/1795448965887848893

This is what we have to look forward to.

Labour MP
    @RachaelMaskell
    : “We must keep going [with mass migration] until we really are at saturation point, because what does it matter if we have to wait another week for a hospital visit? Or if our class sizes are slightly bigger, or if our city is slightly fuller? What does it matter if things are slightly more challenging, if we have to pay a little bit more into the system? Surely it is worth it.”

Darren Grimes literally sharing deep fakes now.

And the worrying thing is how his supporters and responders believe it! Worrying!

https://x.com/darrengrimes_/status/1795448965887848893

Labour MP
    @RachaelMaskell
    : “We must keep going [with mass migration] until we really are at saturation point, because what does it matter if we have to wait another week for a hospital visit? Or if our class sizes are slightly bigger, or if our city is slightly fuller? What does it matter if things are slightly more challenging, if we have to pay a little bit more into the system? Surely it is worth it.”

And the worrying thing is how his supporters and responders believe it! Worrying!

Verified video from 2015: https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/605150/Labour-MP-Rachael-Mask-take-refugees
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,338
    Andy_JS said:

Chameleon said:

Labour 46% (+1)
    Conservative 23% (–)
    Reform UK 13% (+1)
    Lib Dem 9% (-1)
    Green 5% (–)
    SNP 3% (+1)
    Other 3% (+2)

R&W

Hanging and flogging next on the agenda
    Andy_JS said:

Chameleon said:

Labour 46% (+1)
    Conservative 23% (–)
    Reform UK 13% (+1)
    Lib Dem 9% (-1)
    Green 5% (–)
    SNP 3% (+1)
    Other 3% (+2)

R&W

Plant some drugs in Farage's suitcase next time he goes over to the States and have Biden's stormtroopers imprison him until the election's over.
    There's also a Deltapoll out showing a 20+ point Labour lead
    Andy_JS said:

Chameleon said:

Labour 46% (+1)
    Conservative 23% (–)
    Reform UK 13% (+1)
    Lib Dem 9% (-1)
    Green 5% (–)
    SNP 3% (+1)
    Other 3% (+2)

R&W

I’m convinced they will poll over 30% as there’s more bungs coming to their core vote . Some movement from reform , and DKs should see them get there .
    nico679 said:

The Redfield and Wilton fieldwork includes the National Service announcement but won’t capture Sunaks pensioner bribe .

Ditto Survation which ran Friday to yesterday
    Redfield Saturday to yesterday
    @RedfieldWilton
    Largest EVER lead for Starmer over Sunak.

Lowest % EVER to pick Sunak.

At this moment, which of the following do Britons think would be the better Prime Minister for the UK? (25-27 May)

Keir Starmer 45% (+1)
    Rishi Sunak 26% (-4)

Changes +/- 19 May
    edited May 28
    Andy_JS said:

Chameleon said:

Labour 46% (+1)
    Conservative 23% (–)
    Reform UK 13% (+1)
    Lib Dem 9% (-1)
    Green 5% (–)
    SNP 3% (+1)
    Other 3% (+2)

R&W

Presumably they think it's by annoying even more 18-50 year olds. Most people don't want more money confiscated to fund the wealthiest cohort in history while their children/themselves are sent away to war.

Next stop will be hanging and local vetoes on nearby housing at this rate.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,529
    Chameleon said:

Labour MP
    @RachaelMaskell

Verified video from 2015: https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/605150/Labour-MP-Rachael-Mask-take-refugees
    I'm amazed someone from Labour thinks there's a saturation point. Who knew?
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 672
    I'm watching a TV quiz. Just discovered that Nigel Farage is younger than Brad Pitt.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,534

Labour MP
    @RachaelMaskell

It's a video from the BBC. It's not fake, just from 2015:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1030068933693025
    edited May 28
    Andy_JS said:

Chameleon said:

Labour 46% (+1)
    Conservative 23% (–)
    Reform UK 13% (+1)
    Lib Dem 9% (-1)
    Green 5% (–)
    SNP 3% (+1)
    Other 3% (+2)

R&W

They can't - if they can't squeeze Reform vote by stealing one of Reform's headline policies what else will do it...

And they need 60% of that Reform vote to hit 30%, and I suspect only 30% of it is (at best) inclined to vote tory.

eek said:

DM_Andy said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

Excellent information.

Thanks for posting.

Over whom?

My guess is some people vote Tory with the biggest clothes peg on their nose in history, just to ensure Labour don't have a landslide with zero opposition.
    It's going to take a lot of people doing that to solve the tory party problem - I can't see that many people willing to vote with a clothes peg on their nose...
    Andy_JS said:

Chameleon said:

Labour 46% (+1)
    Conservative 23% (–)
    Reform UK 13% (+1)
    Lib Dem 9% (-1)
    Green 5% (–)
    SNP 3% (+1)
    Other 3% (+2)

R&W

War with Spain.
    Chameleon said:

Labour MP
    @RachaelMaskell

Assuming the quotes on that page are legit (big assumption, its the Express afterall), the biggest concern for me is her crimes against Maths.

She equates 30,000 with "6 per constituency".

6 * 650 != 30,000
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,149
    nico679 said:

23 point Labour lead.

LAB 47 (-1)
    CON 24 (-3)
    LD 11 (+3)
    GRN 3 (+1)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (-)

Maybe it’s the Redfield and Wilton mega poll out in half an hour . I should say that a larger sample doesn’t always mean a more accurate poll . Any errors are magnified so you have to ensure your sampling is on the ball .

What you say is true. However, larger sample sizes DO mean larger SUB-samples which (tends to) decrease margins-of-error for subs (polling-wise anyways).
  • No it isn't a real video. Her lips don't match what she is saying and the "logo" moves around the video. Worrying.
    Reform still look too high to me and LDs too low.
    Confirmed now . The council and HRMC will be taking no action against Rayner .

Labour will be hugely relieved and so will those of us who want rid of the Tories .
This discussion has been closed.