Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Will a 4th of July election be Sunak’s siege of Yorktown? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Not a great speech from SKS but Rishi's was worse
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,924
    edited May 22

As most of you know I am the Liberal Democrat candidate in Aberdeenshire North and Moray East. Anyone else want to out themselves as candidates? For any party in any constituency?

I assume @Tissue_Price is standing?

And you're not on the wiki page, so the only possible explanation is that you're lying ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdeenshire_North_and_Moray_East_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,604
    Andy_JS said:

The only place the Tories might gain seats is north-east Scotland, from the SNP.

I think they will struggle to gain anything and could lose heavily
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,196

Which was the crazier decision. The snap election or announcing it in the rain with the pillock with the PA?

The latter by a country mile. Sunak had to have an election within the next 7 months and he was rapidly running out of choice - every date is pretty much as bad as every other.

Choosing to do the announcement out in the rain with a very audible protest going on was crass ineptitude.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,865

Which was the crazier decision. The snap election or announcing it in the rain with the pillock with the PA?

The pillock with the PA probaly brought half a million back from Reform to the Tories.

This is Labour. 5 years of putting your blood pressure up 25 points.....
    Good too see someone's in high spirits and relishing the fight. You may not be 100% representative of Tory opinion, mind.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,392

Still 1.01 on Betfair but presumably it ties up money for a month.

For July or July 4? The demise of KC3 would push it to July 18th as the only black Swan that's possible I think
    For July. £6,255 available at 1.01 which is actually rising, which is probably due to profit-taking (or someone very clever knows of an incoming comet).
    Incoming Alien flu meteor nova klaxon
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,561

Heathener said:

And the Daily Mail:

Heathener, these a re unreadable. Please at least quote the headline if you are going to post through Vanilla.
    Why are all images blurry these days?
    It is all down to Keir Starmer. Time for change. Vote Rishi.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,056
    So when's the post-GE Tory leadership campaign....
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,036
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Personally I think it’s quite funny that Labour’s 1997 winning election song was playing.

And I’m afraid the headlines have been stolen from Sunak. Here’s the Telegraph:

And for those who like a bit of focus:

How did you do that?! I need to sharpen up.
    Tis easy

Here's a picture quiz. A pint of election porter for anyone who can guess the name of this building, where I was recently. Nada googlissimo

Hmmm...a hangover from the Islamic toehold in Sicily? I think you've been there lately?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,125
    edited May 22
    Nigelb said:

AlsoLei said:

"Voters

Why oh why oh why did they announce it now. Here. Outside?

All the "you don't know what you'll get with Labour" stuff was rather let down by his own failure to look at a short-term weather forecast...
    Or control the aural environment.

Bray is an irritating pillock, but that's not the point. If you can't deal with something as entirely predictable as that, then you're just politically incompetent.
    A decent directional microphone would have cut the background noise out.

Someone decided not to use one.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,448
    Jonathan said:

What a wally Sunak is today. Things can only get better.

"only a Conservative government led by me will not ..."
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,732
    Heathener said:

Rory Campbell (with Alistair Campbell) is doing a live podcast and says the texts he's getting from MPs and ministers are very much "We have no idea why he's doing this. Maybe he's worried about Farage coming back". They're all "Totally astonished".

https://www.youtube.com/live/ta2nEmoUQTE

If you want to watch/hear it.

The timing is odd. Unless Rishi knows something, what he has done is give his own side six fewer monthly pay cheques, and brought forward a Labour government, which by definition his side thinks is a bad thing.
    Rumour is that the threshold of No Confidence was close. BBC or Sky News mentioned this earlier.
    Suspect that rumour is a case of Tory rebels embiggening their role. That is, I suspect, going to be an issue for Sunak in the campaign - the Five Families will be positioning themselves for a different election.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,097

The pillock with the PA probaly brought half a million back from Reform to the Tories.

Unlike the steady calm of the Johnson/Truss/Sunak years. 😄
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,927

Suspect we’ll be saying that quite a bit this campaign…
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,593

Heathener said:

And the Daily Mail:

Heathener, these a re unreadable. Please at least quote the headline if you are going to post through Vanilla.
    Time for varifocals?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,667
    edited May 22
    Leon said:

Fuck me it is STILL raining. Literally non stop for 48 hours

We had a glorious music festival in Dartmouth. Sort of thought about drizzling for 10 minutes. Didn't even need a brolly.

Rest of the time it was quite magnificent. Sunday especially, every act on the main stage was on top of their game. One burly late-middle aged guy from Essex came off stage, gave me a big hug, then blubbed. It was THAT beautiful.

Probably one of the best music festivals anywhere. And all free.
  • Options

Still 1.01 on Betfair but presumably it ties up money for a month.

For July or July 4? The demise of KC3 would push it to July 18th as the only black Swan that's possible I think
    For July. £6,255 available at 1.01 which is actually rising, which is probably due to profit-taking (or someone very clever knows of an incoming comet).

Market link
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.223758498

Also 1.01 for July to September at
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.218024805

What are they going to spend their winnings on?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,319
    sarissa said:

Schools in Scotland close the week before - not that Sunak cares about his chances here.

It means they won’t have to give the kids a day off school for the election. However, will they need to cancel the jannies’ holidays?

A school holiday election should help the Scottish Tories, as pensioners don’t tend to take their holidays when the schools are on holiday.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,036

Heathener said:

Rory Campbell (with Alistair Campbell) is doing a live podcast and says the texts he's getting from MPs and ministers are very much "We have no idea why he's doing this. Maybe he's worried about Farage coming back". They're all "Totally astonished".

https://www.youtube.com/live/ta2nEmoUQTE

If you want to watch/hear it.

The timing is odd. Unless Rishi knows something, what he has done is give his own side six fewer monthly pay cheques, and brought forward a Labour government, which by definition his side thinks is a bad thing.
    Rumour is that the threshold of No Confidence was close. BBC or Sky News mentioned this earlier.
    Suspect that rumour is a case of Tory rebels embiggening their role. That is, I suspect, going to be an issue for Sunak in the campaign - the Five Families will be positioning themselves for a different election.
    You're probably correct about the embiggening - nevertheless it remains one of the more plausible theories for a remarkable decision.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,598

CatMan said:

Starmer sensibly choses to do his speech inside

He's terrible as well, to be honest. He could do with some music in the background.
    No, it was competent in every respect, even if the semantic value was close to nil.
    The contrast was obvious.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,425

It simply gives you a flavour of where Labour is atm.
  • Options
    edited May 22
    So I'm assuming Survation have brought forward their Friday poll release to today so maybe they will now run a post announcement one?
    Still, I think Monday onwards we start to get the idea where the land lies with date certainty applied
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,629
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Personally I think it’s quite funny that Labour’s 1997 winning election song was playing.

Tis easy

Here's a picture quiz. A pint of election porter for anyone who can guess the name of this building, where I was recently. Nada googlissimo

Hmmm...a hangover from the Islamic toehold in Sicily? I think you've been there lately?
    Close but not quite. But close!

It is - without exaggeration - one of the most astonishing buildings I have ever visited. And barely known?!

It is 900 years old, and it looks eerily new (as all great buildings do: they are ageless). It is pretty much perfect. The only buildings that match it for perfection - in my eyes - are Salisbury Cathedral and the Pantheon
  • Options
    Leon said:

Jonah Sunak.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,160
    Somewhere in Taranto?
  • Options
    Rory Stewart getting texts from various people, including Cabinet ministers, saying they’ve no idea why Sunak’s done this now and it’s madness.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,432
    Sainsbury's sitrep: they've dropped the glass Coke bottles. This could be what pushed Rishi over the edge.
  • Options
    Laura K continuing her nonsense Tweeting.
  • Options
    edited May 22

Somewhere in Taranto?

Closer still! But not quite there

It has occult associations, and it is visible for many miles around. It seems to serve no defensive purpose, and the spiral stairs go the wrong way if you want to fight an incoming enemy
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,079
    Leon said:

It was dry in the eastern burbs for a few hours overnight, but yeah, not the best weather!
  • Options

Suspect we’ll be saying that quite a bit this campaign…
    Or the next five years.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Good too see someone's in high spirits and relishing the fight. You may not be 100% representative of Tory opinion, mind.
    We will fight like hell to keep a superb MP in South Devon (formerly Totnes). People like him are the future of the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Tis easy

Name of the Rose it was on the Italian Euro coins
  • Options
    Alastair Campbell: "Rishi Sunak has the element of surprise."
    Rory Stewart: "Surprise! I am 20 points behind and I am going to lose."

ROFL
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,392
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Chameleon said:

Leon said:

Chameleon said:

Between the weather on his suit and Things Can Only Get Better that was the most tragic speech I've ever seen.

It was. Desperately bad. Steve Bray should be hurled into the Channel but that was still awful

His delivery is so bad, and wooden, it's weird. Ah well, he will be gone soon enough
    Like a supply teacher who's given up hope of controlling the class. Hard words without conviction.
    Very good analogy! Indeed perfect

Thats exactly what he sounds like. A weak teacher defeated by an unruly class that knows it has the teacher on the run

We had one of those at my secondary school. My Polyblank. That was his name. Taught music, or, rather, tried to teach music even as the entire class ran riot every lesson, he would stand there mouthing pointless firm words which made everyone laugh

Very sad. And that is Sunak, you are bang on
    Polyblank? Really?
    I always have a faint admiration for people who have gone into teaching despite having an absurd name.
    Is it Cornish, I wonder?
    I just checked. Apparently it could be derived from Old French for "white hair"

We also had a Mr Snoswell who taught Physics

We didn't have any amusingly named teachers that I remember. But some had an amusing appearance. Particularly together. The physics department had a man who was absurdly tall, thin, and ginger, a man who looked like a garden gnome, and a man who was the spit of Bruce Grobelaar. Seeing the three of them together never failed to be arresting.
    My grandfather once had to have a friendly conversation with a young and rather naive man who thought he was going to teach at Telford Secretary Modern with the name of Ernest Pee.

He added an 'l' to that name...and as the bank manager, that made it all nice and official.

You'd never get away with that today though.
  • Options
    edited May 22

Heathener said:

And the Daily Mail:

They are not. Only those posted via Vanilla are blurry - there must be some restriction limiting them to about 240x180 pixels.

Post direct thus to avoid this issue:

• Options
    CatMan said:

As most of you know I am the Liberal Democrat candidate in Aberdeenshire North and Moray East. Anyone else want to out themselves as candidates? For any party in any constituency?

And you're not on the wiki page, so the only possible explanation is that you're lying ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdeenshire_North_and_Moray_East_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
    Break a Leg!
  • Options
    BatteryCorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorse Posts: 2,402
    edited May 22
    Can you use the alt tag properly as it's there for accessibility so blind people can understand what the image would display
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,928
    Oh wow, that was the wrong afternoon to be stuck in a meeting! I thought the only news might be Paula Vennells perjuring herself.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,614
    Just spoke to my mother to catch up with what she thought about the election announcement.

Found out that she's struggling to get the NHS to agree to put her on the waiting list for a cataract operation for her left eye, and now thinks her right eye has started to develop one too. She's going to be functionally blind and in need of expensive care before the NHS manage to perform a relatively routine operation.

What a shambles everything is.

How much would a private cataract operation cost?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,449
    Absolutely incredible

Even this morning I thought there was no chance of this
  • Options
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Tis easy

Has the roof fallen in at Ely???
  • Options
    Nigel Farage needs to piss or get off the pot.
  • Options

Heathener said:

And the Daily Mail:

They are not. Only those posted via Vanilla are blurry - there must be some restriction limiting them to about 240x180 pixels.

Post direct thus to avoid this issue:

From my hard disk?
  • Options
    edited May 22
    Cicero said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Tis easy

Name of the Rose it was on the Italian Euro coins
    You are close enough without mentioning the name. Yes, it was on the 1 euro Italian coin. It is Castel del Monte in northern Puglia, Mindblowing place, one of the great buildings of the world, yet barely known outside Italy

Built by Frederick II, the Holy Roman Emperor and "Stupor Mundi". It has Muslim, Norman, Byzantine elements, arguments rage as to its purpose

https://www.italia.it/en/puglia/barletta-andria-trani/things-to-do/castel-del-monte-unesco
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,151
    The last time I met Call Me Dave™ was on a day even wetter than today, at an unveiling on a village green in the constituency. He looked absolutely unflappable. A complete contrast to Sunak looking like a drowned rat outside number 10.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,075
    Tomorrow's MASSIVE ANNOUNCEMENT from Reform at 11am tomorrow.

Farage to lead the campaign?

Yes?
    or
    No?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,921

The last time I met Call Me Dave™ was on a day even wetter than today, at an unveiling on a village green in the constituency. He looked absolutely unflappable. A complete contrast to Sunak looking like a drowned rat outside number 10.

Dave is the best.
  • Options

Just spoke to my mother to catch up with what she thought about the election announcement.

Found out that she's struggling to get the NHS to agree to put her on the waiting list for a cataract operation for her left eye, and now thinks her right eye has started to develop one too. She's going to be functionally blind and in need of expensive care before the NHS manage to perform a relatively routine operation.

Phone up a private hospital near your mum (or near wherever she will stay the following week) and ask them.
  • Options

Dave is the best.
    Certainly the best PM after Tony.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,416
    Sky saying inflation higher than expected, no prospect of interest rate cut for some time.

I reckon that, coupled with borrowing above forecast which likely means no room for tax cuts in Autumn Statement, is what has driven the date.

Finally, maybe, they know they can get a flight to Rwanda during the campaign?

Even if some Court says No, maybe they just send the flight anyway given they won't be in office to deal with whatever later happens.

If a flight does go and Starmer still then says he will cancel the scheme that is the sort of thing that could be a Black Swan.
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak looking sad after calling an election

WHY did he think this was a good idea
  • Options

Dave is the best.
    Unelected Has-Been!
  • Options

Yes?
    or
    No?

Andrea Jenkyns joining?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,595
    Jonathan said:

This has been by some margin the worst government in my lifetime. Somehow managing to be depressing, chaotic, incompetent and nasty.

It’s time to get the buggers out. Move heaven and Earth, hold your nose if you have to, but they have to go.

I didn't know you were under 14.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,305
    That was fucking pathetic from Big Rish in the pissing rain. I fucking despise the little shit and wish him nothing but personal and professional ill fortune in the years ahead so we're off to a good start.
  • Options

Dave is the best.
    So good, he'll be out of job again very soon!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,214

Because he had a plan and didn't want to go back to square one.
  • Options

"Why does it always rain on me?
    Is it because I lied when I was seventeen points behind in the polls?"
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,796

Dave is the best.
    No, only better than Sunak.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,449
    As a right wing voter I expect, based on all the reasonable evidence, that Labour will win and win well.

BUT..

You never know! 😈
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,418

I’ve got to say that as far as my wife and myself are concerned the NHS is working well.

We’re not voting for Rishi, though.
  • Options
    BatteryCorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorse Posts: 2,402
    edited May 22
    MikeL said:

Sky saying inflation higher than expected, no prospect of interest rate cut for some time.

I reckon that, coupled with borrowing above forecast which likely means no room for tax cuts in Autumn Statement, is what has driven the date.

Finally, maybe, they know they can get a flight to Rwanda during the campaign?

Even if some Court says No, maybe they just send the flight anyway given they won't be in office to deal with whatever later happens.

If a flight does go and Starmer still then says he will cancel the scheme that is the sort of thing that could be a Black Swan.

I think it is much simpler.

Rishi was always waiting for inflation to come down, it didn't come down enough in April otherwise he'd have called it then. I think he concluded long ago it wasn't going to get any better.
  • Options

Yes?
    or
    No?

Farage could be the difference between the Tories getting 150+ seats, maybe even 200+. or actually going extinct with 50 or fewer

It must be tempting for him to destroy them, and it will likely be his last exercise of power
  • Options
    I understand that the Tory Party are complaining to Ofcom that GB News covered Sunak's speech in full which gave an unfair advantage to the Labour Party

https://x.com/nick5michaels/status/1793328027201311197

Now the Tories care about GBeebies
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,054
    John Swinney calling foul for Sunak calling vote in Scots holidays

I found it quite funny how upset he is
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,080

I didn’t think much of Starmer’s dance moves.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,149

Maybe his suit was a bit roomy and now it will fit more snugly?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,375
    GIN1138 said:

NEW: Our first take on the General Election ahead.

21 Point Labour Lead, highest since November 2022.

LAB 48 (+4)
    CON 27 (+3)
    LD 8 (-2)
    GRN 2 (-5)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (+1)
    OTH 4 (-1)

F/w 21st - 22nd May. Changes vs. 10th May 2024.

Survation.........

Opening polling salvo for the 2024 UK general election...
    I got on Labour vote share 48-50% on BFE at 22/1 a while back with the intention of trading out when there was a bit more liquidity. Now I'm thinking of holding on to it as a shot to nothing.

Still don't think it will actually happen but I think this is one of those elections where the more we see of Sunak, the less people are going to like him. He's awkward and gaffe prone, and I think there will be a lot of tactical voting in Labour's favour.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,054

A friend had it done for £2,000
  • Options
    Rory’s guess: a Lab maj of 69
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

GIN1138 said:

NEW: Our first take on the General Election ahead.

21 Point Labour Lead, highest since November 2022.

LAB 48 (+4)
    CON 27 (+3)
    LD 8 (-2)
    GRN 2 (-5)
    RFM 8 (-)
    SNP 3 (+1)
    OTH 4 (-1)

F/w 21st - 22nd May. Changes vs. 10th May 2024.

Survation.........

Opening polling salvo for the 2024 UK general election...
    I got on Labour vote share 48-50% on BFE at 22/1 a while back with the intention of trading out when there was a bit more liquidity. Now I'm thinking of holding on to it as a shot to nothing.

Still don't think it will actually happen but I think this is one of those elections where the more we see of Sunak, the less people are going to like him. He's awkward and gaffe prone, and I think there will be a lot of tactical voting in Labour's favour.
    I think the strategy will be Labour saying as little as possible and being as dull as possible. They will bore us to death. Sunak will hang himself.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,374
    edited May 22
    Look, I know it's cruel to have Rishi photos from unflattering angles, but ...

https://twitter.com/SayeedaWarsi/status/1793318392985768268
  • Options
    In his way he was actually worse than Johnson and Truss. Johnson was actually a genuine politician if a sociopath while Truss was madly entertaining with emphasis on mad. Sunak was a twice over-promoted spreadsheet wanker who should not have been let anywhere near real people.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,613
    edited May 22

Unfortunately we’re going to have six weeks of people telling us that this or that will drive people to / from this or that Party.

These minor things WILL MAKE NO DIFFERENCE
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,643
    Well.
    I didn't expect that.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,595

Predictions: # 1 Labour 39%, Tories 34%. Labour short of a majority.

Given the collapse in living standards over the past couple of years, the lack of any positive reason to vote for the Conservatives, Rishi's disastrous approval ratings, SKS's bland, inoffensive centrism, the fact that they are trying for a fifth term and the four inch height differential in SKS's favour, that would be a stunning achievement by the government. If Labour can't win convincingly now, when can they?

I'd guesstimate a 10-14 point differential in the vote myself: Lab 43% Con 31% or so.

But the electorate is of course pretty volatile.
  • Options
    Its a bit of a disgrace that the cops couldn't shut Bray's sound system up so we can actually hear this election announcement properly

https://x.com/kateferguson4/status/1793315605728129289

So the Sun accepts there are limitations on freedom of speech then?
  • Options

He does look very small in that one
  • Options
    MustaphaMondeoMustaphaMondeo Posts: 112
    I have the LGA conference finishing on the 4th
    will it be crazed fun or dead?
    Do I go?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Yes?
    or
    No?

Farage could be the difference between the Tories getting 150+ seats, maybe even 200+. or actually going extinct with 50 or fewer

It must be tempting for him to destroy them, and it will likely be his last exercise of power
    And a July election leaves Nigel Farage time to get back across the Atlantic for some of that sweet, sweet American television money commenting on their election.
  • Options

Here you go: image

(Hint: copy image address)
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,390

I have the LGA conference finishing on the 4th
    will it be crazed fun or dead?
    Do I go?

Surely postponed...
  • Options
    A better title would have been 'Gorn on the 4th of July'.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,123

A friend had it done for £2,000
    One or both?
  • Options

:lol:
  • Options
    MundoMundo Posts: 35
    Long time lurker, very occasional poster.

University terms end mid to late June. Election held when most students have returned home.

Can those wiser than me speculate on likely impact on (lack of) student vote in university towns? Possible betting implications?
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,732
    Dura_Ace said:

In his way he was actually worse than Johnson and Truss. Johnson was actually a genuine politician if a sociopath while Truss was madly entertaining with emphasis on mad. Sunak was a twice over-promoted spreadsheet wanker who should not have been let anywhere near real people.

Is "overpromoted" really worse than "crooked" or "bonkers"?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,547
  • Options

We could do with IanB2's dog, that's for sure, to make sense of that image.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,752
    CatMan said:

https://www.banffandbuchanlibdems.org.uk/general-election-2023
  • Options

:blush:
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,917
    edited May 22
    Dura_Ace said:

In a way it appears to be more of a vanity escapade than Johnson's. Unless he knew he was about to be kebabbed by backbench Cons MPs it for all the world looks like he flounced in, wasn't up to the job, and flounced out again. At least BoJo really wanted the job rather than took it because it was passing.

I mean Plato did have a point about not paying the Guardians for running the state.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,547
    @ShippersUnbound

Tory MPs and candidates have been asked to assemble at the Excel centre for a rally with Sunak at 8pm this evening, where the PM will “speak for 15 mins”. Fair to say not all of them regard this as an enticing offer
  • Options
    Mundo said:

Long time lurker, very occasional poster.

University terms end mid to late June. Election held when most students have returned home.

Can those wiser than me speculate on likely impact on (lack of) student vote in university towns? Possible betting implications?

LDs in St Andrews and Edinburgh will hurt, for a start, I'd think.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/SayeedaWarsi/status/1793318392985768268

This discussion has been closed.