Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Will a 4th of July election be Sunak’s siege of Yorktown? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,196
    Leon said:

Tomorrow's MASSIVE ANNOUNCEMENT from Reform at 11am tomorrow.

Farage to lead the campaign?

Yes?
    or
    No?

Farage could be the difference between the Tories getting 150+ seats, maybe even 200+. or actually going extinct with 50 or fewer

It must be tempting for him to destroy them, and it will likely be his last exercise of power
    I seriously believe there is a path for him to take over the Conservative Party - the Canada option. Why wouldn't he try?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,149
    edited May 22
    dixiedean said:

Well.
    I didn't expect that.

Nobody expects the wettish proclamation.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,613

The last time I met Call Me Dave™ was on a day even wetter than today, at an unveiling on a village green in the constituency. He looked absolutely unflappable. A complete contrast to Sunak looking like a drowned rat outside number 10.

Dave is the best.
    Certainly the best PM after Tony.
    I know TSE loves Dave but anyone who has followed the Greenshill scandal would zip it on that front.

Awful man. And a nasty piece of work when it came to trying to shut down free speech about it.

Funny innit? Leon and others object to a guy with a megaphone but don’t mind when a privileged Etonian tries to gag publication of a book exposing what a devious and dodgy person he has been over Greenshill.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,643
    Scott_xP said:

@ShippersUnbound

Tory MPs and candidates have been asked to assemble at the Excel centre for a rally with Sunak at 8pm this evening, where the PM will “speak for 15 mins”. Fair to say not all of them regard this as an enticing offer

Shouldn't candidates be in their constituencies?
    How in holy hell will they get there?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,054
    Carnyx said:

Just spoke to my mother to catch up with what she thought about the election announcement.

Found out that she's struggling to get the NHS to agree to put her on the waiting list for a cataract operation for her left eye, and now thinks her right eye has started to develop one too. She's going to be functionally blind and in need of expensive care before the NHS manage to perform a relatively routine operation.

What a shambles everything is.

How much would a private cataract operation cost?

A friend had it done for £2,000
    One or both?
    One I think
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,732
    Mundo said:

Long time lurker, very occasional poster.

University terms end mid to late June. Election held when most students have returned home.

Can those wiser than me speculate on likely impact on (lack of) student vote in university towns? Possible betting implications?

I'd have thought that's not very useful for the Tories. Most university towns are likely to vote Labour anyway, and students being distributed around the country to vote in their parents' constituencies will likely be mildly unhelpful for the blues on balance. There may be one or two blue university towns where it will help them a tiny bit - but I can't think of many that will be competitive this time.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,752
    edited May 22
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,375
    Carnyx said:

Just spoke to my mother to catch up with what she thought about the election announcement.

Found out that she's struggling to get the NHS to agree to put her on the waiting list for a cataract operation for her left eye, and now thinks her right eye has started to develop one too. She's going to be functionally blind and in need of expensive care before the NHS manage to perform a relatively routine operation.

A friend had it done for £2,000
    One or both?
    Surely it's eye one, get one free?

Joking aside, the utter collapse of the NHS post Covid *is* going to have an effect on the Pensioner Vote, who you'd normally expect to vote Conservative. One or two people I know in their 70s have ended up going private for similar reasons, and while they aren't made of money, they are 'natural' Conservative voters. Not this time round, i suspect.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,629
    edited May 22
    Heathener said:

The last time I met Call Me Dave™ was on a day even wetter than today, at an unveiling on a village green in the constituency. He looked absolutely unflappable. A complete contrast to Sunak looking like a drowned rat outside number 10.

Dave is the best.
    I know TSE loves Dave but anyone who has followed the Greenshill scandal would zip it on that front.

Awful man. And a nasty piece of work when it came to trying to shut down free speech about it.

Funny innit? Leon and others object to a guy with a megaphone but don’t mind when a privileged Etonian tries to gag publication of a book exposing what a devious and dodgy person he has been over Greenshill.
    I'm not even aware of these allegations against Dave. And, just for the record, I have zero respect for Cameron and think he is wildly overrated, most of all by himself
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,123
    edited May 22
    viewcode said:

CatMan said:

As most of you know I am the Liberal Democrat candidate in Aberdeenshire North and Moray East. Anyone else want to out themselves as candidates? For any party in any constituency?

I assume @Tissue_Price is standing?

And you're not on the wiki page, so the only possible explanation is that you're lying ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdeenshire_North_and_Moray_East_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
    https://www.banffandbuchanlibdems.org.uk/general-election-2023
    @RochdalePioneers , you need to get your lot to do some proofreading. About half a dozen typos and one grammatical error on a very quick scan of that one webpage.

That's not counting "The candidate and campaign for the new constituency of Aberdeenshire North and Moray East will be ran by the Banffshire and Buchan Coast Liberal Democrats" - okay, the 'ran' could be excused as demotic but who will be controlling you, one wonders ...

But good luck. I can safely say I regret not being able to vote for you.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,054

Its a bit of a disgrace that the cops couldn't shut Bray's sound system up so we can actually hear this election announcement properly

https://x.com/kateferguson4/status/1793315605728129289

So the Sun accepts there are limitations on freedom of speech then?

Quite frankly it is an affront to any democracy when a deliberate act takes place to drown out any political speech

It would be true for Starmer and indeed Lammy when he was shouted down yesterday
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,079
    Heathener said:

Dave is the best.

:innocent:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensill_scandal
  • Options
    MundoMundo Posts: 35

Mundo said:

University terms end mid to late June. Election held when most students have returned home.

Can those wiser than me speculate on likely impact on (lack of) student vote in university towns? Possible betting implications?

I'd have thought that's not very useful for the Tories. Most university towns are likely to vote Labour anyway, and students being distributed around the country to vote in their parents' constituencies will likely be mildly unhelpful for the blues on balance. There may be one or two blue university towns where it will help them a tiny bit - but I can't think of many that will be competitive this time.
    Agree, but my thinking is that some Labour majorities may be smaller than expected as a result, and therefore money to be made . . .

• Options

Leon said:

Yes?
    or
    No?

Farage could be the difference between the Tories getting 150+ seats, maybe even 200+. or actually going extinct with 50 or fewer

It must be tempting for him to destroy them, and it will likely be his last exercise of power
    I seriously believe there is a path for him to take over the Conservative Party - the Canada option. Why wouldn't he try?
    Laziness? Age? Likes the quiet life?

I certainly agree the Tories look ripe for a hard right takeover. They've tried being spinelessly Blairite and high tax/high spend with massive immigration, and look where it's ended for them
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,365
    Heathener said:

Dave is the best.

Cameron must be pissed off that his jaunt as FOreign Secretary has come to a premature end
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,942

As a right wing voter I expect, based on all the reasonable evidence, that Labour will win and win well.

BUT..

You never know! 😈

Indeed. I hope for and expect a big Labour win but let's see.

Rain, Blair music etc, poor optics start for Rishi, but remember how Corbyn's ultimately stonking GE17 campaign kicked off with that chaotic manifesto launch.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,063
    edited May 22

Mundo said:

Yes, it's not going to be helpful for the Tories in my leafy suburb of a provincial city. While the Conservatives are unlikely to do so badly that Andrew Mitchell loses his seat, the presence of a large number of otherwise absent students makes it a little bit more likely.
  • Options

So when's the post-GE Tory leadership campaign....

6 months early.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,627
    I think calling the election for 4th July shows some realism is still alive in No.10.

Clearly they could see things would be getting worse for them as time goes by, so they had to go as early as possible, and so they picked the first date which still keeps the 'seecond half of the year' comments.

So they know they are losing, and will lose bigger overtime, and are putting the country first by not holding out any longer.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The only place the Tories might gain seats is north-east Scotland, from the SNP.

That would be pretty hilarious - is there not a risk though that even where Tories are second to the SNP by some distance a Labour surge means they benefit (or prevents Tories benefiting)? It happened in 2017 the other way around (despite Labour actually going up elsewhere).
  • Options

Its a bit of a disgrace that the cops couldn't shut Bray's sound system up so we can actually hear this election announcement properly

Quite frankly it is an affront to any democracy when a deliberate act takes place to drown out any political speech

It would be true for Starmer and indeed Lammy when he was shouted down yesterday
    It wasn't even that loud, and if Sunak is too stupid to think that with the weather and Labour's '97 anthem playing outside, it might have been a sensible move to do it inside, he deserves to be ridiculed.
  • Options
    edited May 22

"I have struggled in vain and I can bear it no longer. These past months have been a torment. I have fought against my better judgement, my family's expectations, the inferiority of the electorate's birth by rank and circumstance. All these things I am willing to put aside and ask you to end my agony."

"Do you think anything might tempt me to accept the election of the man who has ruined, perhaps for ever, the happiness of a most beloved country?"
  • Options
    14 years and 2 months is a good run, time to focus on not taking 13 years to get back in next time.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

To summarise the last 5 years:

Boris: piss up at number 10
    Liz: piss poor in number 10
    Rishi: piss wet through outside number 10

Cameron: pissed away his premiership with a horrifically botched referendum
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,181
    As an American, allow me to say how touched (in more than one way?) and honored, that the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, our own Mother Country, has just declared that the date of the 2024 general election is the 4th of July.

Happy Independence Day 2024!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,921
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

The only place the Tories might gain seats is north-east Scotland, from the SNP.

That would be pretty hilarious - is there not a risk though that even where Tories are second to the SNP by some distance a Labour surge means they benefit (or prevents Tories benefiting)? It happened in 2017 the other way around (despite Labour actually going up elsewhere).
    There's a very narrow window that the Tories end up with more seats in Scotland than the SNP.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,010

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

There's a very narrow window that the Tories end up with more seats in Scotland than the SNP.
    It may require that for the Tory party to retain 3rd largest party in Parliament.
  • Options

It wasn't even that loud, and if Sunak is too stupid to think that with the weather and Labour's '97 anthem playing outside, it might have been a sensible move to do it inside, he deserves to be ridiculed.
    The argument it was an affront strikes me as similar to when parties moan about the ideologically opposed press being mean to them.

It happens, it's your job as politicians to overcome such a challenge. If you are defeated by a noisy heckler that's on you.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,036
    kle4 said:

I think calling the election for 4th July shows some realism is still alive in No.10.

Clearly they could see things would be getting worse for them as time goes by, so they had to go as early as possible, and so they picked the first date which still keeps the 'seecond half of the year' comments.

So they know they are losing, and will lose bigger overtime, and are putting the country first by not holding out any longer.

I think the inflation figures this morning sealed it. A drop in interest rates is no longer as likely as it was. The logic behind holding on was that “things might get better”. This morning it was clear, at the least, that “things are less likely to get better”. So may as well get it over with in case they get worse.

It’s nothing to do with putting the country first.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm pretty bullish on SNP prospects - they do face several challenges which could see a dramatic fall, but I think they'll avoid the worst possibilities.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,374
    Leon said:

Pro_Rata said:

TMay: pissed everyone off
  • Options

Mundo said:

The word on the street in Canterbury was that it would go blue again last time because of the Christmas holidays. Made little difference in the end.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,614
    edited May 22

Leon said:

Yes?
    or
    No?

And a July election leaves Nigel Farage time to get back across the Atlantic for some of that sweet, sweet American television money commenting on their election.
    He'd have to miss the first election debate in June, though.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,759

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Is that one of your hot money making tips?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,374
    DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

I think the inflation figures this morning sealed it. A drop in interest rates is no longer as likely as it was. The logic behind holding on was that “things might get better”. This morning it was clear, at the least, that “things are less likely to get better”. So may as well get it over with in case they get worse.

Also: wonder if there was a bit of pique at the Cabinet mixing his student plans.
  • Options
    MustaphaMondeoMustaphaMondeo Posts: 112
    viewcode said:

As most of you know I am the Liberal Democrat candidate in Aberdeenshire North and Moray East. Anyone else want to out themselves as candidates? For any party in any constituency?

I am not a candidate. I am however auditioning for the role of "Professor Sir John Curtice". As he is also auditioning for the same role I'm not optimistic, but you don't know until you try. :)
    Good Luck

I found the just the idea stressful.
    ( I was a nominated candidate until a couple of months ago, but reasons )
  • Options
    Is there a market up yet for the date of the Richmond and Northallerton by-election?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,080
    Forward the light brigade!
    Was there a man dismayed?
    Not though the soldier knew
    Someone had blundered
    Theirs not to make reply
    Theirs not to reason why
    Theirs but to do and die
    Into the valley of death
    Rode the three hundred*

*After discounting retirees

It’s close but I am not so sure that the charge of the Light Brigade was as obviously suicidal as this.

• Options
    edited May 22
    "Quote" rel="Leon">
    Pro_Rata said:

Leon said:

Pro_Rata said:

May pissed a majority up the wall.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,667
    Reality check.

7 years ago, Theresa May was going into an election expecting anything up to a 100 seat majority.

The campaign killed that.

• Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,924
    viewcode said:

CatMan said:

I assume @Tissue_Price is standing?

And you're not on the wiki page, so the only possible explanation is that you're lying ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdeenshire_North_and_Moray_East_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
    https://www.banffandbuchanlibdems.org.uk/general-election-2023
    Well I wasn't been serious! Someone needs to update the wiki page, and a) I can't be arsed and b) Even if I was, I don't know @RochdalePioneers real name
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Is that one of your hot money making tips?
    There's no market on it yet, I have asked.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes?
    or
    No?

Laziness? Age? Likes the quiet life?

I certainly agree the Tories look ripe for a hard right takeover. They've tried being spinelessly Blairite and high tax/high spend with massive immigration, and look where it's ended for them
    The more they attribute their loss to not being hard right enough, and if they perceive it is due to Farage/Reform that is highly likely, the more the party will seek to reshape into a Faragite form regardless of whether he personally seeks to join it or take it over.

From Farage's perspective he should absolutely stand and claim to want to play a big role in politics - he need not deliver on that, he just needs to show some leg to the Tories pining to vote for him and maximise the damage to the Tories, and either way his brand is increased, and best case scenario the Tories become Reform.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,045

Ask her GP or optom to refer her to one of the private contractors doing NHS work and she will be done in weeks in most English regions.
  • Options

Reality check.

7 years ago, Theresa May was going into an election expecting anything up to a 100 seat majority.

A 294 seat majority in fact.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,293
    Pretty obvious he just wants out. He knows he and his predecessors have made the country a pretty rubbish place to live so time to move on to somewhere more comfortable
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,924
    Scott_xP said:

@ShippersUnbound

Tory MPs and candidates have been asked to assemble at the Excel centre for a rally with Sunak at 8pm this evening, where the PM will “speak for 15 mins”. Fair to say not all of them regard this as an enticing offer

Hopefully the roof won't leak
  • Options

Reality check.

I was one of the very few people - wasn't posting here then so you will have to take my word for it but I bet on a Hung Parliament - who said May would lose her majority.

I think a Hung Parliament is very possible - but that still means SKS as PM.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

Also: wonder if there was a bit of pique at the Cabinet mixing his student plans.
    Maybe. There may also be some truth in the rumour that the magic number of letters to Old Lady Brady was imminent.

Labour could still lose this election but you wouldn’t think it watching him this evening.
  • Options

Reality check.

How often does that occur?

And with hindsight we can see the positives Corbyn had and negatives May had - what are the potential weakpoints for Labour that could be exploited, and what strengths have the Tories got to draw on?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,278
    Anyone who thinks you can just “move it inside” when “it” is a speech like this one has never done events with the media. Pressing on, and getting wet, is the least worst option. It gets called a damp squib anyway if you run away from the rain.

The error is not planning to do it indoors flanked by a million flags and cheering fans from the off, all because doing it outside Number 10 is tradition.

But really, they haven’t used the new briefing room enough. They could have made it synonymous with all PM briefings and made heckling a thing of the past. For reasons known only to them, they chose not to.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,074

Heathener said:

Dave is the best.

Cameron must be pissed off that his jaunt as FOreign Secretary has come to a premature end
    He avoided the embarassment of a visit to Rwanda.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,459
    MikeL said:

Sky saying inflation higher than expected, no prospect of interest rate cut for some time.

I reckon that, coupled with borrowing above forecast which likely means no room for tax cuts in Autumn Statement, is what has driven the date.

Finally, maybe, they know they can get a flight to Rwanda during the campaign?

Even if some Court says No, maybe they just send the flight anyway given they won't be in office to deal with whatever later happens.

If a flight does go and Starmer still then says he will cancel the scheme that is the sort of thing that could be a Black Swan.

Anyone who still thinks a ‘flight to Rwanda’ is going to be some transformative event is even more deluded than the Tories.
  • Options
    Wes Streeting has let slip another of Labour's attack lines: if the Tories get back in it won't be Sunak as PM, it will be Braverman or Patel. Interesting strategy.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,268
    edited May 22
    No 10 must be delighted with the iPlayer home page.

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,614

Reality check.

There were some predictions she'd win a majority of more than 200. The campaign can change everything, of one is at least halfway decent and the other is catastrophically bad.

I couldn't tell you which campaign was more likely to be catastrophically bad, but it wouldn't surprise me either way. What if, this time, it's the party that starts twenty points behind that has the catastrophic campaign?
  • Options

Heathener said:

Dave is the best.

He's had time to refill his virtual rolodex, job done.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,667
    Heathener said:

Which was the crazier decision. The snap election or announcing it in the rain with the pillock with the PA?

The pillock with the PA probaly brought half a million back from Reform to the Tories.

This is Labour. 5 years of putting your blood pressure up 25 points.....
    Unfortunately we’re going to have six weeks of people telling us that this or that will drive people to / from this or that Party.

These minor things WILL MAKE NO DIFFERENCE
    D:Ream on, luv....
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,185

Reality check.

Thete's a significant difference between a Government going into an election with a big lead and an Opposition going into an election with a big lead.

In 1997, the Conservatives turned a 21 point deficit into a 12.5 point deficit but polling then was much less sophisticated than it is now.
  • Options

Reality check.

Yes. That’s absolutely true. But I don’t think that Sunak called this election expecting anything up to a 100 seat majority. Quite the opposite.
  • Options

Reality check.

Sure there can be swings in an election campaign, but they don't have to go the way of 2017. That was a swing against the party in power not to it, and largely because May was a dreadful campaigner. Sunak is possibly a worse one.

An extinction level event is more likely than a Tory victory.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,282
    Gone to the Cinema as a break from organising my friends funeral. There is a Keir advert on..

On no its a Kia
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@ShippersUnbound

Time for some tight cropped photos of the crowds I think.

• Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,268
    mwadams said:

No 10 must be delighted with the iPlayer home page.

Oh. Blur-o-vision. You'll have to have a look for yourself.
  • Options

Mundo said:

Yes, it's not going to be helpful for the Tories in my leafy suburb of a provincial city. While the Conservatives are unlikely to do so badly that Andrew Mitchell loses his seat, the presence of a large number of otherwise absent students makes it a little bit more likely.
    Indeed, and the key thing is that a lot of them will be coming back from Manchester or wherever, where Labour simply don't require the votes. There are a handful of blue seats with high term time student populations - Bournemouth West for example, and maybe it will help them a bit there. But it's unusual.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,392
    edited May 22
    Journos getting whiny texts from Tories crying about having to face the electorate.
    Fuck off and get in the sea.
    As for Labour!
  • Options
    edited May 22
    Re: Students.

I assume your voter ID has to match your registered address. GE turnout levels, and dislocated students, may be the first real test of this Jim Crow law.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,181
    NOW is time (high time!) to fund, acquire, equip, etc., etc. the long-awaited PB GE BATTLEBUS!!

Imagine cruising in comfort on the highways and byways of Britain, from one marginal to another, ensconced in your seat (or lashed to the roof depending on medical & road conditions) debating the merits & demerits of AI-drafted election manifestos and candidate addresses!

Please state YOUR psephological preferences re: target destinations and routing.

Personally enjoy witnessing a cabinet minister getting routed somewhere.
  • Options
    For a website that requires technical ability to use, it's staggering that nobody can figure out how to embed images.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,080
    stodge said:

Reality check.

Thete's a significant difference between a Government going into an election with a big lead and an Opposition going into an election with a big lead.

In 1997, the Conservatives turned a 21 point deficit into a 12.5 point deficit but polling then was much less sophisticated than it is now.
    And John Major was a good campaigner, not in Blair’s class but good. Sunak? Oh dear.
  • Options

Gone to the Cinema as a break from organising my friends funeral. There is a Keir advert on..

On no its a Kia

I’m sorry to hear about your friend.

As to the rest of the post…seek help.
  • Options

Reality check.

There were some predictions she'd win a majority of more than 200. The campaign can change everything, of one is at least halfway decent and the other is catastrophically bad.

I couldn't tell you which campaign was more likely to be catastrophically bad, but it wouldn't surprise me either way. What if, this time, it's the party that starts twenty points behind that has the catastrophic campaign?
    The media is desperate for a come back narrative. Will do anything to boost it.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,014

Wes Streeting has let slip another of Labour's attack lines: if the Tories get back in it won't be Sunak as PM, it will be Braverman or Patel. Interesting strategy.

The kudos of winning from here wouldn't be insignificant, but given the Tory tribes a very, very real prospect.
  • Options

For a website that requires technical ability to use, it's staggering that nobody can figure out how to embed images.

OK, so how do you embed an image on your hard disk? Without having to upload it to a third-party site?
  • Options
    biggles said:

I assume your voter ID has to match your registered address. GE turnout levels, and dislocated students, may be the first real test of this Jim Crow law.

I suspect turnout will be well down for other reasons, so it may be hard to tell.

Could go lower than 2001, only needs to drop 8%, and I can see a lot of Tories staying home even if they don't vote Labour.

Journos getting whiny texts from Tories crying about having to face the electorate.

And probably lots of happy texts from Tory candidates for the 2025 local elections.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,521
    Richard Jolly 🇺🇦
    @RichJolly
    Watford managers in Tory premierships in the last 14 years.

David Cameron: 9
    Theresa May: 3
    Boris Johnson: 9
    Liz Truss: 2
    Rishi Sunak: 4
  • Options

It's a fairly obvious line. The Tories changed their leader twice in this Parliament, so completely reasonable to say "you're not voting for Sunak".

It does reveal, though, that Labour don't feel Sunak is a liability for the Tories, rather that the Tories are a liability for him. That makes some intuitive sense, but isn't entirely where the polls are.
  • Options

Reality check.

I can't see Sunak doing as well as well as a seasoned campaigner like Corbyn, nor Starmer campaigning as badly as May.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,111
    Will be quite a few local parties needing to rush selections. Round my way, Lab have not selected for Bracknell and Con haven't selected to replace Tezza in Maidenhead.
  • Options
    biggles said:

No, photo ID doesn't have to include an address. A passport for example.

The students do need to get registered sharpish though.
  • Options
    Will Friday's HIGNFY go ahead?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,294
    Well, that's one bet I've lost.

I'm astonished Sunak has called an election now. I don't know what he's thinking other than he's just had enough.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

The kudos of winning from here wouldn't be insignificant, but given the Tory tribes a very, very real prospect.
    Hopefully Labour are clever enough not to say “Boris will be back” and win the Tories votes…
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,821

Dura_Ace said:

That was fucking pathetic from Big Rish in the pissing rain. I fucking despise the little shit and wish him nothing but personal and professional ill fortune in the years ahead so we're off to a good start.

Shall we put you down as a Don't know?
    I always thought "I'll put you down as a maybe." sounded funnier.
  • Options

OK, so how do you embed an image on your hard disk? Without having to upload it to a third-party site?
    Why not just upload it to Google Drive, Apple iCloud and share it from there?

You do realise that by uploading the image from your hard drive you are uploading it to a third party site? Most likely an S3 bucket which all of the above use (or an equivalent of) anyway?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,185
    biggles said:

Reality check.

The media is desperate for a come back narrative. Will do anything to boost it.
    As we saw in London, however, the more the media try to claim it's a "close race", the less close it becomes. The only beneficiaries from a "close race" narrative will be Labour as they will be able to get their vote out. If it's a "foregone conclusion" as in 2001 for example, Labour voters may be complacent and stay at home.

Khan's victory was assured as soon as the media started claiming Hall had a chance of success.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,392
    At least the Tories 'starve the PIP claimants' shit won't go anywhere now
  • Options

I'm astonished Sunak has called an election now. I don't know what he's thinking other than he's just had enough.

I think he's given up to be honest, I actually feel quite sorry for him. His heart doesn't seem like it is in it. I've felt the same before leaving a couple of previous roles.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,105
    stodge said:

Reality check.

Until we get the results we don’t know how much the Conservatives can claw back, or if they slip further. The polls do suggest a pretty grim prospect for the government, and I suspect they will lose by some distance but I’m less convinced that the outcome will be epoch defining.
  • Options

It's a fairly obvious line. The Tories changed their leader twice in this Parliament, so completely reasonable to say "you're not voting for Sunak".

It does reveal, though, that Labour don't feel Sunak is a liability for the Tories, rather that the Tories are a liability for him. That makes some intuitive sense, but isn't entirely where the polls are.
    Or at least that they don't think Sunak is the Tories' biggest liability.

They have a lot to choose from though, so it is hard to rank the liabilities.
  • Options
    biggles said:

I don't believe your address is checked as part of the voter ID checks - just your face. IIRC your address is not on a Blue Badge which is a qualifying ID.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,432
    edited May 22
    kle4 said:

Reality check.

How often does that occur?

And with hindsight we can see the positives Corbyn had and negatives May had - what are the potential weakpoints for Labour that could be exploited, and what strengths have the Tories got to draw on?
    May lost because (among other things) there were two terrorist outrages during the campaign, after she had got rid of 10,000 police officers. The point is, black swans can happen.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

biggles said:

No, photo ID doesn't have to include an address. A passport for example.

The students do need to get registered sharpish though.
    Blimey, it’s worse than I thought. So all that time and money wasted for narrow, perceived political advantage, and all I have to prove is that I am A “Mr Biggles” not THE “Mr Biggles of Sopwith Lane”.
  • Options

Silicon Valley and the sun!
This discussion has been closed.