Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is Greater Manchester ready for Mayor Galloway? – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,865

https://x.com/bnonews/status/1768759641243054323

United Airlines Boeing 737 makes emergency landing in Oregon after losing panel in mid-air

Airbus must be thanking their lucky stars for this annus mirabilis.
  • Options
    TrumanTruman Posts: 279
    TimS said:

United Airlines Boeing 737 makes emergency landing in Oregon after losing panel in mid-air

There was another incident at LAX too this week. A lot of this is related to DEI hiring.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,434

DavidL said:

TimS said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Is Rishi determined to wait until they’re in single figures ?

NEW POLL - Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 46%
    CON: 18%
    REFORM: 13%
    LIB: 10%
    GREEN: 7%
    SNP: 4%
    OTHER: 2%

via @PeoplePolling, 07 Mar

https://twitter.com/PollingReportUK/status/1768652854879731771

Someone Baxtered this and it gives the Tories 24 seats and the LDs 48, IIRC

The SNP get 22, so almost as many as the Tories
    Imagine if the Tories were the fourth party at Westminster. They wouldn’t even get a weekly question at PMQs!
    They are really paying for the disastrous choice of the unhinged libertarian Truss as PM. When in reality the opportunity to be socially and economically populist is the winning ticket.
    The original mistake was dumping Boris Johnson, and she had clean hands there unlike Sunak.
    The original mistake was Boris's breaking of lockdown rules. He had become untenable after that. But the Truss appointment made things a lot worse.
    If you want to go back that far then the mistake was making the lockdown rules too prescriptive instead of giving people some leeway to use their common sense.
    Rishi got fined the same as Boris, and he’s still PM
    Rishi was genuinely ambushed by cake. Johnson was Captain Lockdown -Party. There is no comparison.
    Not sure if I’m alone in this but I was completely unbothered by partygate. The least of Boris’ misdemeanours.

What irritated me beyond belief were the lies about Brexit, the cavalier attitude to institutions and the rule of law, the tone deaf sheltering of grifters and sex pests in the party and the ever-flexible approach to conflicts of interest that started during his stint as mayor.
    Yep, I said as much at the time. All the faux outrage about people who never got to see their dying relatives frankly got on my tits. It was ridiculous.

But the lying, jeez, you can't have a PM that lies like that. You have to be able to trust what they say at least most of the time (obviously invading third world countries is an exception) and it got to the point you could never believe anything he said. Stupid, stupid lies.
    You could fairly accuse me of faux outrage, since I had no dying relatives though I felt very sorry for those who did, but I am surprised you dismiss the feelings of those who followed the rules and missed being with close relatives who were dying. I cannot see how their outrage can be dismissed as 'faux'.

In any event, had he not lied the partying would not have brought him down. As the excellent C4 series has just reminded us, his lies over Pincher were what brought him down.
    I think that was straws and camel's backs. The damage done by his lying was cumulative.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064

Hmmmm. Tough times for Boeing what with the 'suicide' of the whistleblower.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,383
    isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Imagine if the Tories were the fourth party at Westminster. They wouldn’t even get a weekly question at PMQs!
    They are really paying for the disastrous choice of the unhinged libertarian Truss as PM. When in reality the opportunity to be socially and economically populist is the winning ticket.
    The original mistake was dumping Boris Johnson, and she had clean hands there unlike Sunak.
    The original mistake was Boris's breaking of lockdown rules. He had become untenable after that. But the Truss appointment made things a lot worse.
    If you want to go back that far then the mistake was making the lockdown rules too prescriptive instead of giving people some leeway to use their common sense.
    Rishi was genuinely ambushed by cake. Johnson was Captain Lockdown -Party. There is no comparison.
    They were both only found to be guilty of one lockdown breach, and it was the same one
    Too many of us have our own experiences of lockdown to call upon for Boris to wheedle his way out on a technicality, though.

For me, it was leaving my flat to take rubbish to the bins at the end of the street, and seeing a 70-something woman step out into the road to avoid me - and realising how genuinely terrified she was. I had stayed within the law, but had been generally disdainful of the guidelines, and had until then been leaving my flat two or three times a day, spending as much as two hours out of doors.

But Boris had his flat in Camberwell, his flat in Downing St, a big garden, and a huge country house. And he still couldn't stick to the laws, let alone the guidelines.

Fuck him. It's not like he was stuck indoors for 23 hours a day like the rest of us. He made the rules, he made the guidelines, and he couldn't be fucked to stay within either.

Fuck. Him.

Quibbling about cakes or ambushes or whatever does him no good. He was in charge. He broke his own rules. Fuck him.
    Unconvincing
    You may believe Johnson to be the most impressive post-war Prime Minister. You may be him to be the greatest Churchillian statesman available today. You may believe he got all the big calls right. I would disagree. However you cannot deny he utterly took the piss through lockdown
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Penny, great hair and she does have a certain Moneypenny charm. And she can’t be any worse than Sunak and might actually help the Tories polling .

She was however part of the leave campaign and lied like the rest of them which counts against her .

She reminds old men of Catherine Deneuve. That's a vote winner.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,878
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

TimS said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Not sure if I’m alone in this but I was completely unbothered by partygate. The least of Boris’ misdemeanours.

What irritated me beyond belief were the lies about Brexit, the cavalier attitude to institutions and the rule of law, the tone deaf sheltering of grifters and sex pests in the party and the ever-flexible approach to conflicts of interest that started during his stint as mayor.
    Yep, I said as much at the time. All the faux outrage about people who never got to see their dying relatives frankly got on my tits. It was ridiculous.

But the lying, jeez, you can't have a PM that lies like that. You have to be able to trust what they say at least most of the time (obviously invading third world countries is an exception) and it got to the point you could never believe anything he said. Stupid, stupid lies.
    You could fairly accuse me of faux outrage, since I had no dying relatives though I felt very sorry for those who did, but I am surprised you dismiss the feelings of those who followed the rules and missed being with close relatives who were dying. I cannot see how their outrage can be dismissed as 'faux'.

In any event, had he not lied the partying would not have brought him down. As the excellent C4 series has just reminded us, his lies over Pincher were what brought him down.
    I think that was straws and camel's backs. The damage done by his lying was cumulative.
    We shouldn't have been surprised, he has lied and cheated throughout his whole life, and usually got away with it.
  • Options
    BREAKING: ABC News reports that Boeing whistleblower John Barnett, who died this week, told a close family friend 'I ain't scared, but if anything happens to me, it's not suicide.'

https://x.com/spectatorindex/status/1768740798198403207?s=20
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,027

isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

They were both only found to be guilty of one lockdown breach, and it was the same one
    Too many of us have our own experiences of lockdown to call upon for Boris to wheedle his way out on a technicality, though.

For me, it was leaving my flat to take rubbish to the bins at the end of the street, and seeing a 70-something woman step out into the road to avoid me - and realising how genuinely terrified she was. I had stayed within the law, but had been generally disdainful of the guidelines, and had until then been leaving my flat two or three times a day, spending as much as two hours out of doors.

But Boris had his flat in Camberwell, his flat in Downing St, a big garden, and a huge country house. And he still couldn't stick to the laws, let alone the guidelines.

Fuck him. It's not like he was stuck indoors for 23 hours a day like the rest of us. He made the rules, he made the guidelines, and he couldn't be fucked to stay within either.

Fuck. Him.

Quibbling about cakes or ambushes or whatever does him no good. He was in charge. He broke his own rules. Fuck him.
    Unconvincing
    You may believe Johnson to be the most impressive post-war Prime Minister. You may be him to be the greatest Churchillian statesman available today. You may believe he got all the big calls right. I would disagree. However you cannot deny he utterly took the piss through lockdown
    I don’t really think any of those things, I just can’t get het up about Downing St staff having a drink after work; they were working together inside anyway.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,488
    edited March 15

Roger said:

AlsoLei said:

Roger said:

Maybe Labour need a bit of a shake up. Like most Labour supporters I've invested a lot of hope in Starmer and made the usual excuses when he seemed to be disappointing. Then when he became REALLY disappointing I could always remind myself that at least he wouldn't have given Suella a job or have even dreamt of sending asylum seekers to Rwanda.......

But why can't he just for once do something because it's the right thing to do?

Maybe like reinstating Diane Abbott without worrying what some some right wing editor might say?

Does Abbott want to be back in the fold? She sure doesn't act like it on twitter...
    If not she loses her seat which seems outrageously harsh for an ill thought out comment which was really nothing more than clumsy.
    It was much more than clumsy Roger, it was a total denial by glaring ommission of the Holocaust.

Racism is black and white
    Tomiwa Owolade claims that Irish, Jewish and Traveller people all suffer from “racism” (“Racism in Britain is not a black and white issue. It’s far more complicated”, Comment). They undoubtedly experience prejudice. This is similar to racism and the two words are often used as if they are interchangeable.

It is true that many types of white people with points of difference, such as redheads, can experience this prejudice. But they are not all their lives subject to racism. In pre-civil rights America, Irish people, Jewish people and Travellers were not required to sit at the back of the bus. In apartheid South Africa, these groups were allowed to vote. And at the height of slavery, there were no white-seeming people manacled on the slave ships.
    Diane Abbott
    House of Commons, London SW1
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_resistance_to_apartheid#Jewish_resistance

"Many Jewish South Africans, both individuals and organisations, helped support the anti-apartheid movement. It was estimated that Jews were disproportionately represented (some sources maintain by as much as 2,500%) among whites involved in anti-apartheid political activities.[74] Much like other English-speaking white South Africans, Jews supported either the Progressive Party or the United Party. One organisation, the Union of Jewish Women, sought to alleviate the suffering of blacks through charitable projects and self-help schemes. Fourteen of the 23 whites involved in the 1956 Treason Trial were Jewish and all five whites of the 17 members of the African National Congress who were arrested for anti-apartheid activities in 1963 were Jewish."
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,418

isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Fuck. Him.

Unconvincing
    I don’t, actually. I think quite a few at No 10 did. The riotous parties as shown on that TV series were not ones with Johnson. I think he genuinely believed he was complying with the rules. I don’t think it was taking the piss to think that meeting your colleagues with a pathetic bit of cake, when you had just been meeting them for work, was ok.
    Now as the rules were drafted, it was wrong. But I can see how he would have thought they were complying.

I suspect I am an outlier on this one. But I think the smuggled in booze has been conflated with Johnson, and for once, he was innocent.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,499
    edited March 15
    DavidL said:

Its notable how breaking news seems so appropriate for anything to do with Boeing.
    Those sanctions are really starting to bite now that Boeing can't get spare parts...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,615
    Truman said:

TimS said:

There was another incident at LAX too this week. A lot of this is related to DEI hiring.
    Apparently it’s a mix of offshoring manufacturing, pandemic messing with hiring and retiring (key workers leaving) and, yes, DEI

Boeing may literally be the first huge corporation to go woke and then go broke

This is existential for them now
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,890
    isam said:

isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Fuck. Him.

Unconvincing
    I don’t really think any of those things, I just can’t get het up about Downing St staff having a drink after work; they were working together inside anyway.
    Does "having a drink after work" adequately describe partying until 1am, as with the 16 Apr 2021 event?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,612
    isam said:

isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Fuck. Him.

Unconvincing
    And yet... that wasn't the line Boris took. Maybe he would have done better to take that approach- own it and justify it. Not an easy path, but perhaps he could have pulled it off.

Instead he went for lying about the situation and doubling down on the lies as more details emerged. And he survived the 2022 confidence vote on that basis. It was his lies about Chris Pincher that brought him down.

There are some things that you just can't be allowed to get away with, no matter how good you are at the other stuff.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 696
    isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Fuck. Him.

Unconvincing
    Sure, whatever. Fuck all the people who tried to stay within the rules. Fuck all the people who felt a bit guilty about straying outside the guidelines. Fuck all the people who felt concern for the elderly, or anyone else who was especially at risk from Covid.

Except that that's... all the people. Pretty much the whole of the UK. Almost all of us did our best. We tried to pull together, to do the right thing.

Not Boris, though. Or his fans.

They say the rest of us were stupid or wrong to have tried. That our concerns were 'unconvincing'.

Newsflash: gaslighting is not the way to win votes.

Boris deserves a lot of credit for the Tory majority in 2019. But he is also responsible for throwing that majority away, as are his supporters. Fuck him.
  • Options
    edited March 15
    isam said:

isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Fuck. Him.

Unconvincing
    Yeah but, students having a beer together were given 10 grand finest. Fines approved by Johnson.

The man is a disgrace.

isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Fuck. Him.

Unconvincing
    I don’t, actually. I think quite a few at No 10 did. The riotous parties as shown on that TV series were not ones with Johnson. I think he genuinely believed he was complying with the rules. I don’t think it was taking the piss to think that meeting your colleagues with a pathetic bit of cake, when you had just been meeting them for work, was ok.
    Now as the rules were drafted, it was wrong. But I can see how he would have thought they were complying.

I suspect I am an outlier on this one. But I think the smuggled in booze has been conflated with Johnson, and for once, he was innocent.
    For all the spurious defences offered to counter Johnson's behaviour throughout his adult life "he didn't know he was breaking his own lockdown rules, in fact he didn't even realise he was enjoying an Abba themed karaoke party, he thought he was at a Cabinet meeting", is the weakest.
  • Options
    Truman said:

TimS said:

Maybe the vaccines, too? Lots of pilots have been mysteriously dropping dead, haven't they?
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Fuck. Him.

Unconvincing
    Sure, whatever. Fuck all the people who tried to stay within the rules. Fuck all the people who felt a bit guilty about straying outside the guidelines. Fuck all the people who felt concern for the elderly, or anyone else who was especially at risk from Covid.

Except that that's... all the people. Pretty much the whole of the UK. Almost all of us did our best. We tried to pull together, to do the right thing.

They say the rest of us were stupid or wrong to have tried. That our concerns were 'unconvincing'.

Boris deserves a lot of credit for the Tory majority in 2019. But he is also responsible for throwing that majority away, as are his supporters. Fuck him.
    Lets face it anyone who tried to follow all the rules was a bit silly to put it mildly.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,070
    Leon said:

Truman said:

TimS said:

Apparently it’s a mix of offshoring manufacturing, pandemic messing with hiring and retiring (key workers leaving) and, yes, DEI

Given that problems with Boing have been blamed on the merger with McDonnell Douglas and the subsequent abandonment of quality controls and loss of institutional memory, it does seem a stretch to staple on current-thing politics like woke. The plans aren't falling out of the sky because of MLK day, it's because they value a quick profit over quality.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,333
    So today our tills stopped working altogether from when we opened at 11am until I left at 3pm, though they since got fixed. We put a sign on the door saying cash only, but quite a few people didn't see it and tried to pay with cards, luckily all except 4 of those had cash to pay with. The other 4 promised to come back later with the money.

Always carry cash with you!
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

TimS said:

It's very difficult to think of anything that isn't the fault of the WOKE BLOB.

Once upon a time, you'd have suspected corporate mismanagement, cost cutting and general negligence when an aeroplane falls out of the sky. BUT VEGAN ENGINEERS...
    If you dont hire for competence in airplane manufacturing bad things tend to happen.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,968
    nico679 said:

Penny, great hair and she does have a certain Moneypenny charm. And she can’t be any worse than Sunak and might actually help the Tories polling .

She was however part of the leave campaign and lied like the rest of them which counts against her .

Holds a sword well though.

Swings and roundabouts.

At this stage, holding a sword well might be just enough to nudge her over JRM for leader.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

TimS said:

Once upon a time, you'd have suspected corporate mismanagement, cost cutting and general negligence when an aeroplane falls out of the sky. BUT VEGAN ENGINEERS...
    Quite. Blaming these problems on DEI is more racist than anything Frank Hester has said.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,811
    TimS said:

Some expert I was reading was saying these Boeing troubles aren't great for Airbus either. Better than for Boeing obviously. It destabilises the supply chain they depend on , it raises uncertainty about aviation safety and regulation. And they can't capitalise that much on their rival's difficulties anyway. The Airbus interest is served by a stable duopoly.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

TimS said:

Quite. Blaming these problems on DEI is more racist than anything Frank Hester has said.
    Ok i get it better planes fall out of the sky than be called racist.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,145
    Truman said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Fuck. Him.

Unconvincing

Lets face it anyone who tried to follow all the rules was a bit silly to put it mildly.
    The complete abdication of personal responsibility in this sort of statement shows the moral collapse of the right.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,145
    AlsoLei said:

Truman said:

TimS said:

Maybe the vaccines, too? Lots of pilots have been mysteriously dropping dead, haven't they?
    This is one of the most moronic things said on this board. And that's a pretty high bar.
  • Options
    WillG said:

AlsoLei said:

Truman said:

TimS said:

This is one of the most moronic things said on this board. And that's a pretty high bar.
    To be fair, I wasn't being entirely serious....
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,531
    Here's a stray thought about Boeing's problems: Could they be the result of drug use, specifically fentanyl? (It's a large -- and growing -- problem in this area.)

Drug use is certainly contributing to the shortage of male workers in this area. (I frequently see help-wanted advertisements on TV, from organizations that never had to run such ads in the past.)
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Fuck. Him.

Unconvincing

Please stop, it’s too cringey
  • Options

Here's a stray thought about Boeing's problems: Could they be the result of drug use, specifically fentanyl? (It's a large -- and growing -- problem in this area.)

Drug use is certainly contributing to the shortage of male workers in this area. (I frequently see help-wanted advertisements on TV, from organizations that never had to run such ads in the past.)

Yep

This is an Al Jazeera undercover report at Boeing from 2014 (NB; not recently, as some are falsely saying). Employees say they wouldn’t fly on their own planes, they talk about drug usage in the factory

Looks like this problem has been brewing a long time

https://x.com/vishalbhargav_/status/1767363475234566339?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg
  • Options
    On twitter there are rumours someone is sabotaging planes at san francisco airport. Maybe someone with connections to hostile powers has infiltrated the airport. Strange world.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Fuck. Him.

Unconvincing
    Does "having a drink after work" adequately describe partying until 1am, as with the 16 Apr 2021 event?
    Sir Keir’s beer in Durham was April 2021 as well. I don’t see much difference; politicians/political staff having a drink after work
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,531
    edited March 15
    Here's the movie which SSI2 was watching:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Longest_Day_(film)

(I saw the last half hour, and think the film might have benefitted from having a single director, instead of three.)
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

TimS said:

I’m sorry? You’re saying that accusing a large corporation of being wrongly focused in some of its managerial policies is MORE RACIST than saying ‘I want to shoot all black women’?

Do you realise how insane you are?

• Options
    isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Fuck. Him.

Unconvincing

Your man-love for Boris is supremely cringey :lol:
  • Options
    edited March 15
    isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Fuck. Him.

Unconvincing

Sure, cringe yourself all the way to a prolapse and beyond. You're still not going to win many votes by mocking the majority of voters.

Boris isn't coming back.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Fuck. Him.

Unconvincing
    Sir Keir’s beer in Durham was April 2021 as well. I don’t see much difference; politicians/political staff having a drink after work
    So, you don’t see any difference between having a drink after work and raucous partying until 1am, including the breaking of garden furniture?
  • Options
    Next on PB, why querying the immigration rules around student dependents MAKES YOU MORE RACIST THAN HITLER
  • Options
    Truman said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Fuck. Him.

Unconvincing

Is this irony?
    Revisionist?
    Or just some seriously weird bubble outwith the vast majority of us that took the possibility of accidentally infecting a vulnerable person seriously?

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,995

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

TimS said:

Not sure about that - the shooting thing is quite bad. But it's certainly the case that one of my top performing colleagues in a former job only got in because of the diversity policy in HR.

Perhaps Boeing have too many stale white males, and haven't been chasing the talent hard enough.
  • Options
    "Boeing tells pilots to check seats after Latam plane incident"

"Boeing has told airlines operating 787 Dreamliners that pilots need to check their seats as an investigation into an incident on a Latam flight continues.

It comes after 50 people were hurt this week when a 787 dropped suddenly during a Latam Airlines flight.

The Wall Street Journal reported that a flight attendant accidentally hit a switch on the pilot's seat, which pushed the pilot into the controls, forcing down the plane's nose."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68580950
  • Options

Truman said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Fuck. Him.

Unconvincing

Is this irony?
    Revisionist?
    Or just some seriously weird bubble outwith the vast majority of us that took the possibility of accidentally infecting a vulnerable person seriously?

Truman is just vomiting up a series of conspiracy theories and national Conservative talking points. Whether this is trolling or deeply held belief, no-one knows, or cares.
  • Options
    Truman said:

On twitter there are rumours someone is sabotaging planes at san francisco airport. Maybe someone with connections to hostile powers has infiltrated the airport. Strange world.

The Chinese are really trying to break the Boeing/Airbus duopoly

I’m sure many of the problems at Boeing are endogenous but I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if there is some Chinese black ops, as well

This is how you destroy a massive airlcraft manufacturer overnight. Sabotage a few planes until the entire fleet is grounded. Beijing is absolutely capable of that (so is Putin)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,944
    Truman said:

TimS said:

Is it indeed ?
    I'm sure you can link to the evidence for that.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

TimS said:

Not sure about that - the shooting thing is quite bad. But it's certainly the case that one of my top performing colleagues in a former job only got in because of the diversity policy in HR.

Perhaps Boeing have too many stale white males, and haven't been chasing the talent hard enough.
    Hester’s words are bad, but he was joking. He wasn’t seriously calling for anyone to be shot. This MAGA nonsense about DEI is just a bullshit racist dog whistle made up out of thin air.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Truman said:

I’m sure many of the problems at Boeing are endogenous but I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if there is some Chinese black ops, as well

This is how you destroy a massive airlcraft manufacturer overnight. Sabotage a few planes until the entire fleet is grounded. Beijing is absolutely capable of that (so is Putin)
    You're almost as bad as Truman.

The bigger worry is that the Chinese figure out his to build decent aero engines.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

TimS said:

Hester’s words are bad, but he was joking. He wasn’t seriously calling for anyone to be shot. This MAGA nonsense about DEI is just a bullshit racist dog whistle made up out of thin air.
    Google, another huge complacent corporation, just inflicted massive reputational damage on itself precisely because of Wokeness and DEI infesting the upper echelons of its management

Believing DEI is an issue in corporate America is not some racist lunacy, it IS an issue. As we have just seen in Google
  • Options
    Truman said:

You should hear what they say about the sexual deviant in the Kremlin.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Fuck. Him.

Unconvincing
    So, you don’t see any difference between having a drink after work and raucous partying until 1am, including the breaking of garden furniture?
    Obviously the latter is worse, Boris wasn’t there of course, but they were still doing more or less doing the same thing, and I can’t get annoyed about it
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,611
    Truman said:

An absolutely vile woman verbally attacks
    @LeeAndersonMP_
    in the street, sample:

"How come you're such a f**king w**ker?"

https://x.com/DaveAtherton20/status/1768740967266320772?s=20

Sounds like fair comment to me.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

The bigger worry is that the Chinese figure out his to build decent aero engines.
    You honestly don’t think the Chinese would fuck with a massive American manufacturer, already in trouble, especially one as strategic as Boeing?

That’s astoundingly naive. You probably believe it came from the wet market
  • Options
    Truman said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

TimS said:

If you dont hire for competence in airplane manufacturing bad things tend to happen.
    As several IL76s have recently demonstrated.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,683

Only IF the CEO and rest of management team are big fentanyl users.

Fish is rotting from the head, NOT because of the workers - that's what oldtime Boeing people are telling me.

Though personally would not rule ANYONE out or in. But generally crap work cultures thrive, persist and worsen under crap management.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

You honestly don’t think the Chinese would fuck with a massive American manufacturer, already in trouble, especially one as strategic as Boeing?

No, I think you're a prat who doesn't understand what actually matters.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Fuck. Him.

Unconvincing
    Obviously the latter is worse, Boris wasn’t there of course, but they were still doing more or less doing the same thing, and I can’t get annoyed about it
    “more or less” is doing a lot of work there.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

TimS said:

It's hard to see where the DEI angle comes in, anyway.

Outsourcing, maybe. Process engineering, that too. Cost optimisation, almost certainly. Taking shortcuts and not documenting them, that most of all.

But having a diverse workforce? An inclusive hiring policy? What's that got to do with anything?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

You really are weirdly naive. Unexpected. The Chinese attempt this shit ALL THE TIME

“Chinese hackers infiltrated PLANE, train and water systems for five years, US says

A group known as Volt Typhoon, geared toward sabotage, quietly burrowed into critical US infrastructure networks”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2024/feb/08/chinese-hack-us-transportation-infrastructure
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,197
    Nigelb said:

Just another Goodwin Reform ramping poll, he is the only pollster with the Tories under 20% and also has the highest voteshare for Reform
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,036
    Jesus.
    No wonder well respected posters are leaving.
  • Options
    Actually, reading that Guardian article on Chinese saboteurs, one really has to wonder. It specifically mentions planes

How would you do it? Hack into Boeing’s software? Alter a few tiny but crucial specifications?

I’m not a saboteur, I dunno, but the coincidence of that report coming just a few weeks ago is quite notable
  • Options
    edited March 15
    nico679 said:

MaxPB said:

New French poll has Le Pen’s party winning a majority in parliament.

https://x.com/bfmtv/status/1768682648816201991

I think Meloni turning out to be not a nazi has probably paved the way for Le Pen to become president. I do wonder what the future looks like for France with Le Pen in charge, she's firmly in Putin's pocket unlike Meloni.
    You tend to have the reverse to what happens in the UK . In France older voters are much more pro EU and anti the far right and as we’ve seen they vote in higher numbers .

As long as it’s not the far left v far right in the run off then I don’t see Le Pen winning .
    Not really, in France what remains of Les Republicains still gets its highest voteshare in the 1st round from pensioners just as UK Conservatives do.

Just by the runoff they now get eliminated and the pensioners then vote for Macron and his party v Le Pen's far right or Melenchon's hard left. Though as you say if it was Le Pen v Melenchon in the runoff even French pensioners might hold their nose and vote Le Pen
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

TimS said:

Outsourcing, maybe. Process engineering, that too. Cost optimisation, almost certainly. Taking shortcuts and not documenting them, that most of all.

But having a diverse workforce? An inclusive hiring policy? What's that got to do with anything?
    Evidence and logic don’t matter, of course, to those who repeat such nonsense, whether they be Russian trolls, racists, or excitable simpletons. What matters is just continuing this drip-drip-drip of alternative facts. And we’ve seen where it ends up, with nearly half of Americans planning to vote for a rapist/fraudster.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

You really are weirdly naive. Unexpected. The Chinese attempt this shit ALL THE TIME

“Chinese hackers infiltrated PLANE, train and water systems for five years, US says

A group known as Volt Typhoon, geared toward sabotage, quietly burrowed into critical US infrastructure networks”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2024/feb/08/chinese-hack-us-transportation-infrastructure
    And you are lacking in comprehension.
    I haven't expressed an opinion on your hastily adopted Chinese sabotage theory - other than to say it's not what's really important either way.
  • Options

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    9m
    MAIL EXCLUSIVE: Plot to crown Mordaunt as PM #TomorrowsPapersToday

I can't see Tory MPs making Mordaunt PM, at most they might crown her as leader just before the election is due to be called as a last resort to save the furniture if the Tory voteshare really is at risk of falling below 25%
  • Options
    edited March 15
    Apparently I’m mad - or ‘a prat’ - for even speculating about Chinese sabotage

“Infrastructure Security Agency Director Jen Easterly said Beijing was making major investments in the capability to sabotage U.S. infrastructure.”

https://www.reuters.com/world/americans-should-prepare-cyber-sabotage-chinese-hackers-us-official-warns-2023-06-12/

“China denies role in suspected sabotage of Finland-Estonia gas link
    On October 8, a gas pipeline and a telecoms cable were broken in what Finnish investigators said may have been sabotage.”

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/10/23/china-calls-for-fair-and-professional-investigation-into-pipeline-blast

“Starting in 2021, Volt Typhoon has been targeting critical infrastructure systems on the island of Guam and in a U.S. military asset near Taiwan. In the United States, targets have included the communications, MANUFACTURING, utilities, transportation, construction, maritime, government, information technology, and education sectors, Microsoft said.”

https://dialogo-americas.com/articles/chinas-cyber-hackers-sabotage-countries-worldwide/

“Chinese-made wind farms could become a new sabotage risk” - FT

https://www.foxbusiness.com/media/biden-border-crisis-exceedingly-high-sabotage-risk-chinese-migrant-encounters-rise-expert

https://www.wionews.com/world/china-trying-to-sabotage-digital-infrastructure-of-other-countries-report-534079

I think I can see who the clueless prat is, here
  • Options
    Truman said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

TimS said:

Tell me about it.
    https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1767500211511816384
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,499
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

I haven't expressed an opinion on your hastily adopted Chinese sabotage theory - other than to say it's not what's really important either way.
    Generally speaking, if you have good safety/production systems, it's really hard for one saboteur to cause damage without that being rectified by others, or themselves being discovered.
  • Options
    Chinese airlines currently operate a total of 96 Boeing 787 Dreamliners (Air China 14, China Eastern 10, China Southern 19, Hainan 34, Juneyao 7, Xiamen 12).

Why would the Chinese sabotage one of their chief aircraft suppliers?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

Generally speaking, if you have good safety/production systems, it's really hard for one saboteur to cause damage without that being rectified by others, or themselves being discovered.
    Nonetheless, the Chinese are definitely having a go. And they are explicitly targeting critical ‘transport’ and ‘manufacturing’ in the USA

Hence the flurry of recent warnings from US intel agencies

I’m sure some of Boeing’s problems are internal to the company, see that Al Jazeera report, but would Beijing seek to exploit that and accentuate the problems? Si!

And the sheer proliferation of Boeing incidents in recent weeks is bizarre. Also, if I was a thriller writer, I’d say the Chinese or the Russians probably killed the whistleblower, to make Boeing look even worse
  • Options

Chinese airlines currently operate a total of 96 Boeing 787 Dreamliners (Air China 14, China Eastern 10, China Southern 19, Hainan 34, Juneyao 7, Xiamen 12).

Why would the Chinese sabotage one of their chief aircraft suppliers?

Except the Chinese have, for a while now, ceased buying Boeing planes - a five year freeze. Weird huh. Only now are they buying a couple

‘Boeing Set to Deliver 737 MAX to China, Ending Freeze on Import of Jet’

https://www.voanews.com/a/boeing-set-to-deliver-737-max-jet-to-china-a-vote-of-confidence-amid-turmoil/7455661.html

They were also the first to ground the 737, as that article notes
  • Options
    'EXCLUSIVE: THE TUV has been in talks with Reform UK about forming an electoral alliance for #GE24. The 2 parties are set to announce moves to work closely together for the Westminster election at the TUV’s annual conference on Saturday.'
    https://x.com/SuzyJourno/status/1768753881339609358?s=20
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Just another Goodwin Reform ramping poll, he is the only pollster with the Tories under 20% and also has the highest voteshare for Reform
    We may not hear from People Polling again after Election 24/25
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

20 years ago, organisations with poor security could have their systems compromised simply by someone clicking on a dodgy email.

Today, everyone employs some form of defence in depth... but if your edge devices are out of date, run a slipshod firewall configuration, and have a network-accessible Windows machine without the latest patches applied, then boom - you're vulnerable to a set of 'living off the land'-style attacks.

It's an arms race, which is still in progress. Technology has advanced, but the same organisations that were being attacked in the 2000s are still under fire today.

None of this explains why the bolts on a door plug weren't properly fastened on a new Boeing plane, or why a seat adjustment caused a plane to nosedive over the Tasman Sea.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,334
    I see the Labour Party is fighting fire with fire on the spotty adolescent social media gimps front.

• Options
    edited March 16
    AlsoLei said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

20 years ago, organisations with poor security could have their systems compromised simply by someone clicking on a dodgy email.

Today, everyone employs some form of defence in depth... but if your edge devices are out of date, run a slipshod firewall configuration, and have a network-accessible Windows machine without the latest patches applied, then boom - you're vulnerable to a set of 'living off the land'-style attacks.

It's an arms race, which is still in progress. Technology has advanced, but the same organisations that were being attacked in the 2000s are still under fire today.

None of this explains why the bolts on a door plug weren't properly fastened on a new Boeing plane, or why a seat adjustment caused a plane to nosedive over the Tasman Sea.
    I really do wonder if this is the Chinese - capitalising on real problems at Boeing

“How China’s C919 jet reflects ambitions to skirt US restrictions and soar beyond global leaders
    With the Boeing-Airbus duopoly in its sights, the maker of China’s home-grown narrowbody plane is courting Southeast Asia. But what challenges must be overcome?
    C919 plays a key role in China’s pivot towards self-reliance and as it seeks to reduce imports of advanced technology amid intense geopolitical entanglements”

All this is just coincidence? The article is ten days old

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3253867/how-chinas-c919-jet-reflects-ambitions-skirt-us-restrictions-and-soar-beyond-global-leaders

Also, the whistleblower. I can believe Boeing have shit management but, really, would they go and murder a whistleblower? Honestly? That’s a stretch

But what a clever move if you’re Russian or Chinese
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,464
    edited March 16
    AlsoLei said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

TimS said:

If you believe that a DEI programme's focus upon external characteristics reduces the quality of hires you can reason that companies may lose proficiency in what they do.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

'EXCLUSIVE: THE TUV has been in talks with Reform UK about forming an electoral alliance for #GE24. The 2 parties are set to announce moves to work closely together for the Westminster election at the TUV’s annual conference on Saturday.'

With the TUV riding high at, er, 6% in the latest LucidTalk NI poll, I'm not sure that this is really worth the effort from Refuk...
  • Options
    edited March 16
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Fuck. Him.

Unconvincing
    The crucial notion here is the timing and the context. The Starmer thing was on the cusp of removing lockdown rules and the eating at work element was, even in the context of imbibing a beer, within the guidelines. Johnson was partying like it was 1999 a full year earlier in the midst of the first and scariest lockdown. That was not within any guidance.

I despise Johnson for his lockdown behaviour. He set the rules, we were obliged to comply and he felt he was not.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,464
    Leon said:

AlsoLei said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

I really do wonder if this is the Chinese - capitalising on real problems at Boeing

“How China’s C919 jet reflects ambitions to skirt US restrictions and soar beyond global leaders
    With the Boeing-Airbus duopoly in its sights, the maker of China’s home-grown narrowbody plane is courting Southeast Asia. But what challenges must be overcome?
    C919 plays a key role in China’s pivot towards self-reliance and as it seeks to reduce imports of advanced technology amid intense geopolitical entanglements”

https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3253867/how-chinas-c919-jet-reflects-ambitions-skirt-us-restrictions-and-soar-beyond-global-leaders

Also, the whistleblower. I can believe Boeing have shit management but, really, would they go and murder a whistleblower? Honestly? That’s a stretch

I don't think Boeing need any help discrediting themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF8_oAKm4Ns&ab_channel=BloombergPodcasts
  • Options

Leon said:

AlsoLei said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

I don't think Boeing need any help discrediting themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF8_oAKm4Ns&ab_channel=BloombergPodcasts
    Sure. I’ve repeatedly said there are obvious REAL problems at Boeing. I’m just having a hard time believing all these Boeing planes falling apart in the sky, one every hour, in the same week a Boeing whistleblower dies, and all this happens right the same time as China launches its first airplane designed to break the Airbus/Boeing duopoly, and a month after US intel uncovered an elaborate Chinese plot to sabotage US transport and manufacturing
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

An alliance of the like minded.

Bonkers+bonkers = bonkers.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 427
    What does an electoral alliance between TUV and Reform UK mean anyway, an agreement for RUK not to stand in NI in exchange for TUV agreeing not to stand in England, Scotland and Wales?
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 427
    By the way, I was looking around and what happened in the Salzburg City elections last Sunday?

Salzburg City Council (40 seats)
    Social Democratic Party (SPÖ) 11 (+0)
    Communist Party (KPÖ) 10 (+9)
    People's Party (ÖVP) 8 (-8)
    Citizen's List / Greens (BL) 5 (-1)
    Freedom Party (FPÖ) 4 (+1)
    New Austria / Liberals (NEOS) 1 (-1)
    Citizens for Salzburg (SALZ) 1 (+0)

With the mayoralty going to a runoff between Bernhard Auinger of the Social Democrats and Kay-Michael Dankl for the Communists.
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

What does an electoral alliance between TUV and Reform UK mean anyway, an agreement for RUK not to stand in NI in exchange for TUV agreeing not to stand in England, Scotland and Wales?

Publicity for both is what they gain, if you'll excuse the Yodaism
  • Options
    Ok I'm getting worried now. @Andy_JS is still AWOL.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,533

isam said:

isam said:

AlsoLei said:

isam said:

isam said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Fuck. Him.

Unconvincing
    And yet... that wasn't the line Boris took. Maybe he would have done better to take that approach- own it and justify it. Not an easy path, but perhaps he could have pulled it off.

Instead he went for lying about the situation and doubling down on the lies as more details emerged. And he survived the 2022 confidence vote on that basis. It was his lies about Chris Pincher that brought him down.

There are some things that you just can't be allowed to get away with, no matter how good you are at the other stuff.
    And when it came to running or managing anything, he wasn’t “good at the other stuff”.

It is not as if throwing out wild promises that you don’t keep, and lying about it afterwards, is some sort of rare and valuable skill.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,151
    Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

FPT on the meaning of grifter. Here is the internet definition, and this is the one I have always known

Grifter

noun; slang.

1. a person who operates a side show at a circus, fair, etc., especially a gambling attraction.

2. a swindler, dishonest gambler, or the like.

The second is clearly an evolution of the first

I do not see the political side to this...

Have you not been watching how Trump has enriched himself through his electoral activities ?
    And you're surely not arguing he's honest ?
    I am certainly not defending Trump, he's a wanker in multiple ways

I just like to utilise the English language precisely, and I don't think he is a classic"grifter" as the word should be employed. It is a useful and clever word, but it is being stretched in its meaning to basically include "anyone I don't like", that's a shame, to my mind, because then the original precise meaning is lost
    It's an evolution of the word for use in the political sphere.

Eg Nigel Farage. For years a genuine fighter for a genuine cause (Brexit) he genuinely believed in. Mr Genuine. Surprised that wasn't his nickname.

But now (let's assume for the sake of this illustration) knocking on, Brexit done, no longer interested in changing the world, instead content to exploit his personal brand for pure gratification and profit (GBNews, AskFarage, TalkingPints, BrexitCords, StripalongaNigel etc), this is a different NF, clearly, and what is it that he has become?

Yep. You got it.
    Leon not infrequently comes over all Académie Française, when it comes to word use by anyone else but him.
    I think I might be the only person on here who is paid to use the English language, creatively, albeit in my second job? Might that not explain why I am particularly interested in it?

We did have another writer, @Mysticrose?

I miss her. She was fun. She was NOT me, btw
    You’re forgetting malcolmg, who wrote Trainspotting.
    also that classic of hoteliering literature:

The Lost Art of Scottish Hospitality

Chapter one: Greeting Guests
    I'm just reading a book of Scots humour from 1896, found in the family library inherited by me. A certain dourness is much approved of.
    A concise volume I imagine?

Other than Burns and his passing off of his works into to Scottish canon I can't think of much that was humorous before Billy Connelly. Who are these amusing people?

Obviously unfamiliar with most of Scots literature, then.

Over 300 pp. Many people from all over Scotland and its diaspora.
    Sounds interesting. I'm English, but from a Scottish ancestral line. So obviously I can find no greater fun than poking the Scots in the ribs, but equally I'm really quite interested in what went on in the dark and rainy land in the past.
    A wanna be, whinging green cheesed arsehole so desperate to be Scottish he has to deride all Scots. What a sad shitty Little Englander toerag. @Omnium
  • Options
    po8crgpo8crg Posts: 23
    I believe Galloway is ineligible to stand as Mayor - the GM Mayor is also the Police and Crime Commissioner and anyone with a past criminal conviction or a caution is ineligible.

I think he took a police caution in 2014 for comments about Israel and there have also been various fraud investigations relating to oil-for-food in Iraq, not sure how those were resolved.
This discussion has been closed.