Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is Greater Manchester ready for Mayor Galloway? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,151
    Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

mwadams said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

rkrkrk said:
    Wow wow wow wow

I've seen stills from this video, but not the video. That is INCREDIBLE. That is Arthur C Clarke's "technology sufficiently advanced it is indistinguishable from magic"

I also remember one of the Luddites on here, @Benpointer, airily dismissing AI (about 6 months ago, lol) and saying "get back to me when a robot can stack my dishwasher". That was literally his definition of AI

Well, there is it Ben. A robot that will stack your dishwasher - and also do maths and make music and tell you jokes and answer puzzles and have all the info in the known world inside its net-accessible brain
    It could only stack a dishwasher if it was programmes to stack a dishwasher. By a human. It is a 'clever' robot.
    A human can only stack a dishwasher if it is conceived and birthed by humans and then raised to adulthood and taught dexterity with dishes by humans. So a human is a clever robot?

Honestly, I don't want to bang on again, but PB's AI discourse is some sad-ass primary school shit
    I see you don’t do self awareness.
    Last night @rcs1000 - who I have met, and who is a lovely human being and extremely clever - tried to lecture me about Dall-e and GPT

This is our conversation

I said:

"It’s 8pm in Colombia and I need to eat, but image creation was an emergent property of the early GPTs. The first Dall-e was a remake of GPT3 I think"

A casual remark made as I went to the kitchen to cook up a steak, I didn't check it or anything

He came back, haughtily:

"That's simply not true. I've explained how Dall-E has worked many times before. It's brilliant in its simplicity, and like ChatGPT it uses a neural net.

But Dall-E did not come out of GPT. They are two, entirely different systems."

Why is this interesting? Because he is completely wrong. Dall-E is an evolution of GPTs, indeed GPT3, as I said.

Here's Wikipedia on the subject:

"The first generative pre-trained transformer (GPT) model was initially developed by OpenAI in 2018,[16] using a Transformer architecture. The first iteration, GPT-1,[17] was scaled up to produce GPT-2 in 2019;[18] in 2020, it was scaled up again to produce GPT-3, with 175 billion parameters.[19][5][20]

DALL·E's model is a multimodal implementation of GPT-3[21] with 12 billion parameters[5] which "swaps text for pixels," trained on text–image pairs from the Internet"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DALL-E

Don't believe Wiki? Then try OpenAI who actually made both these machines:

"DALL·E is a 12-billion parameter version of GPT-3 trained to generate images from text descriptions, using a dataset of text–image pairs"

https://openai.com/research/dall-e

Case closed, m'Lud

What is compelling here is that this is @rcs1000's JOB. He works in software and, I believe, studied Machine Learning at Cambridge. He knows top people in AI. He is very very bright. I owe him a dry martini. But how could he get that so wrong?

It's no crime. We all make errors, I know I do. But it is still noteworthy that on the subject of AI the clever people at PB are consistently clueless and unable to extrapolate or comprehend what is going on, and some of the discourse is cringeworthy

But I've said I shall shut the feck up about AI, at least for today, I know it annoys people - and so I will. Coda

I also have to go and look at Bolivar's deathplace. Hasta Luego, amigos
    In fact, you are both sort of right.

The thing that underlies both Dall.E and GPT-X is a domain agnostic transformer. When it is trained on a big old set of data, it produces a model (e.g. Dall.E or GPT-3) that takes streams of input data and transforms it into streams of output data. The crucial thing is that it does not care *what* the streams of input data might be.

But training the model is not a hands off affair. It involves a lot of tweaking and special casing.

The initially slightly surprising thing is that when the input was changed from pure text to text and streams of pixel data, it produced a model whose output that was "quite reasonable" streams of text and output pixel data (once a bit of jiggery pokery was applied to make the pixel data a valid image).

Likewise with video - it was assumed that too much jiggery pokery would be needed to make that work reasonably well. But it turns out you can get ok results for short clips with only "a lot" of effort rather than insurmountable effort.

The confusion arises because in their marketing material, OpenAI sometimes refer to an actual trained model as GPT-X, sometimes the general domain agnostic transformer, and sometimes the product(s) that wrap up the trained models.
    No, I am right, and he is wrong

Go back to the original statements, they are blunt. I said Dall-e came out of GPT, he said

"Dall-E did not come out of GPT. They are two, entirely different systems"

He is wrong

Dall-e is an evolution of "image GPT" - ie, GPT

They first experimented with GPT2

"Notably, we achieved our results by directly applying the GPT-2 language model to image generation."

https://openai.com/research/image-gpt

(look how shite the images are, that was just four years ago: scary)

Then they finessed it and span Dall-e out of GPT3, as they clearly say in their OWN blog

"DALL·E is a 12-billion parameter version of GPT-3 trained to generate images from text descriptions, using a dataset of text–image pairs"

https://openai.com/research/dall-e

Cooroboration:

"How does Dall-E work?

Dall-E works by using a number of technologies including natural language processing (NLP), large language models (LLMs) and diffusion processing.

Dall-E was built using a subset of the GPT-3 LLM. Instead of the full 175 billion parameters that GPT-3 provides, Dall-E uses only 12 billion parameters in an approach that was designed to be optimized for image generation. Just like the GPT-3 LLM, Dall-E also makes use of a transformer neural network -- also simply referred to as a transformer -- to enable the model to create and understand connections between different concepts."

https://www.techtarget.com/searchenterpriseai/definition/Dall-E

They are NOT two entirely different systems, it is not true to say they have no relationship. That is simply untrue. A non true statement. An error of fact. Wrong

And now, I will make good on my promise and STFU

"it is not true to say they have no relationship" is correct.

"They are NOT two entirely different systems" is only correct if "entirely" is taken to mean "share no commonality at all", but they are two entirely different models built using (evolutions of) the same underlying technology.
    I really don't want this argument to go on. I've made my point. It is fairly clear

Robert Smithson said:

"Dall-E did not come out of GPT. They are two, entirely different systems"

Whereas OpenAI, who actually made Dall-e and GPT (unlike Robert Smithson) say this:

Now that really is it. Finito. Manana. Kiss kiss
    I'll see if I can tempt you out again... That's because in their marketing material the same terms are being used for different things. So you're not quite making a like for like argument *even though" I agree with you that RS is being too emphatic!

And I also will shut up on the subject.
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 652
    edited March 15
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

FPT on the meaning of grifter. Here is the internet definition, and this is the one I have always known

Grifter

noun; slang.

1. a person who operates a side show at a circus, fair, etc., especially a gambling attraction.

2. a swindler, dishonest gambler, or the like.

The second is clearly an evolution of the first

I do not see the political side to this...

Have you not been watching how Trump has enriched himself through his electoral activities ?
    And you're surely not arguing he's honest ?
    I am certainly not defending Trump, he's a wanker in multiple ways

I just like to utilise the English language precisely, and I don't think he is a classic"grifter" as the word should be employed. It is a useful and clever word, but it is being stretched in its meaning to basically include "anyone I don't like", that's a shame, to my mind, because then the original precise meaning is lost
    It's an evolution of the word for use in the political sphere.

Eg Nigel Farage. For years a genuine fighter for a genuine cause (Brexit) he genuinely believed in. Mr Genuine. Surprised that wasn't his nickname.

But now (let's assume for the sake of this illustration) knocking on, Brexit done, no longer interested in changing the world, instead content to exploit his personal brand for pure gratification and profit (GBNews, AskFarage, TalkingPints, BrexitCords, StripalongaNigel etc), this is a different NF, clearly, and what is it that he has become?

Yep. You got it.
    Nigel Farage did Cameo too. Not too dissimilar from Trump's digital trading cards.

But long before the trading cards there was Trump University, called nothing but a scam by New York's attorney general:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/11/18/reports-trump-nears-settlement-trump-u-fraud-case/94068946/

Agreed, though, that Trump isn't really a hustler or grifter. He's a crook.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 425

An echo of UK's monarchical transition?

Seattle Times is informing me, that based on 2023 population estimates released by US Census Bureau, King County WA has just passed Queens County NY (aka NYC Borough of Queens) as USA's 12th-largest county.

Queens now 13th place, where King was last year.

HOWEVER, note that Kings County NY (aka NYC Borough of Brooklyn) is still larger in 9th place.

Here is current Top 12 list

1. Los Angeles Co CA
    2. Cook Co IL (Chicago)
    3. Harris Co TX (Houston)
    4. Maricopa Co AZ (Phoenix)
    5. San Diego Co CA
    6. Orange Co CA (Anaheim-Irvine-Santa Ana)
    7. Miami-Dade Co FL
    8. Dallas Co TX
    9. Kings Co NY (Brooklyn)
    10. Riverside Co CA
    11. Clark Co NV (Las Vegas)
    12. King Co WA (Seattle)

While Queens County, NY was named after royalty (Catherine of Braganza) King County WA is an very odd fish, named originally after William King (13th Vice-President of the United States) but then taken off him and officially renamed after Martin Luther King. I'm not sure you can just "Candle in the Wind" things like that because the reason King County is called King County is the VP not MLK.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,017

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata FPT
    "I expect the swing back, I expect a small-mid sized working majority, but I don't see what we should be looking at to put the overall outcome in doubt."

If Starmer fails to win a majority the factors we will point to, which in hindsight will seem obvious, are:
    1. Starmer's personal ratings, which are dire, and compare very badly to Blair or Cameron, the only two opposition leaders to become PM in the last 44 years.
    2. The small proportion of direct Tory-Labour switchers, compared to the number of don't knows and switchers to Reform.
    3. The strength of Tory data-driven, highly-targeted online campaigning, which is very poorly regulated compared to leaflet deliveries and billboard posters.
    4. The volatility in the electorate that makes a large campaign turnaround possible (when Starmer flunks it in the campaign).

1. OK, if we say these ratings are a reverse of 2019, I'll admit the difference is that Boris was already PM where as Starmer is LOTO.

2. Don't agree. If you look at 1997, direct switching was only at slightly higher levels, and indirect swing (notably abstainers) was at least an equal driver of the overall result.

3. Possibly, but some of the novelty we saw in 2015, has worn off.

4. There has been lots of volatility but, as of this point, we do appear to be in a more settled pattern and Starmer is risk averse. Maybe, though.

Like Isam says, leader change is a possible wildcard, but here In think the Tories are trawling the barely tested and likely inadequate and it is as likely to work against c them as for them.
    But Isam is recommending Johnson. Tried, tested and rejected!
    Not rejected by the voters. He is their best shot, but it’s probably too late, and to improbable for him to be a runner now
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,872
    edited March 15
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

FPT on the meaning of grifter. Here is the internet definition, and this is the one I have always known

Grifter

noun; slang.

1. a person who operates a side show at a circus, fair, etc., especially a gambling attraction.

Have you not been watching how Trump has enriched himself through his electoral activities ?

I just like to utilise the English language precisely, and I don't think he is a classic"grifter" as the word should be employed. It is a useful and clever word, but it is being stretched in its meaning to basically include "anyone I don't like", that's a shame, to my mind, because then the original precise meaning is lost

Eg Nigel Farage. For years a genuine fighter for a genuine cause (Brexit) he genuinely believed in. Mr Genuine. Surprised that wasn't his nickname.

But now (let's assume for the sake of this illustration) knocking on, Brexit done, no longer interested in changing the world, instead content to exploit his personal brand for pure gratification and profit (GBNews, AskFarage, TalkingPints, BrexitCords, StripalongaNigel etc), this is a different NF, clearly, and what is it that he has become?

Yep. You got it.
    Leon not infrequently comes over all Académie Française, when it comes to word use by anyone else but him.
    I think I might be the only person on here who is paid to use the English language, creatively, albeit in my second job? Might that not explain why I am particularly interested in it?

We did have another writer, @Mysticrose?

I miss her. She was fun. She was NOT me, btw
    Spoiler alert: @Mysticrose is you pal.

PS there are some other published authors on here - one or two have mentioned when they have a new book out (e.g. MorrisDancer?).
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,016
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

At a time when some of PB debates whether wagyu or something else is the best beef, I'm finding myself wondering if school meals are climbing the agenda (warning: photos in first report are not for the sensitive):

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/mar/13/how-difficult-is-it-to-bake-a-potato-head-hits-out-at-school-caterers-southampton

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/mar/15/i-cant-make-them-eat-it-teachers-and-parents-share-concerns-over-school-lunches-in-england

Yet again private contractors profiteering. Same old same old.
    At around £2.50 per meal in funding, I don't think they're making a huge fortune, though.
    It did startle me that, if I read correctly, the school in the first report can only say "please pretty please, can we have a bit more gruel" given that the caterers are contractors not to the school, or the LEA, but to the commercial firm which operates the school as a PFI.
  • Options
    TrumanTruman Posts: 279
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

I think you're fundamentally wrong.
    The grift is absolutely a big part of the reason Trump is in politics. Indeed running against Clinton possibly saved his business at the time.
    The addiction to power is also part of it, but that doesn't invalidate the description.

Likewise, and more purely so, RFK Jnr.
    Nonsense RFK jr certainly doesnt need the money.
  • Options
    edited March 15

isam said:

I think feminism has gone too far now. Why are todays women so unladylike?

https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/24188220.ringwood-shop-worker-new-years-resolution-sex-child/

Who is being helped when a newspaper writes a sentence like, "exposed her penis" in a court report about someone convicted of possession of child abuse images?

Why are so many paedophiles claiming to be trans?
    Because we have somehow got into the ludicrous situation where judges call men who sexually attack women & children using their penis ‘her/she’, and these perverts who pretend to be women sometimes manage to wangle themselves into a female prison

The world has gone mad
  • Options
    edited March 15
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.
    Leon not infrequently comes over all Académie Française, when it comes to word use by anyone else but him.
    I think I might be the only person on here who is paid to use the English language, creatively, albeit in my second job? Might that not explain why I am particularly interested in it?

You’re forgetting malcolmg, who wrote Trainspotting.
    also that classic of hoteliering literature:

The Lost Art of Scottish Hospitality

Chapter one: Greeting Guests
    I'm just reading a book of Scots humour from 1896, found in the family library inherited by me. A certain dourness is much approved of.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,906
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

I'm just reading a book of Scots humour from 1896, found in the family library inherited by me. A certain dourness is much approved of.
    Any good gags to share ?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,436
    AlsoLei said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Oh behave, DJT is a classic grifter and a smelly orange one at that.
    The classic grifter is pretty low rent.
    Trump is no classier, but operates on a much larger scale.
    My understanding of the term is that 'grift' implies something fairly low-level or petty; it's what distinguishes it from 'scam'.

Perhaps he was previously a grifter but, on becoming President, surely he graduated to become a scammer?
    No, I don't think the one is a larger version of the other. As I understand it, grift is a fraud of seeking financial donations and then pocketing the cash or spending it on personal benefit rather than the stated purpose. A scam is a wider term, encompassing almost any type of fraud. But either can be petty or grand. Probably all grifts are scams though.
  • Options
    isam said:

Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata FPT
    "I expect the swing back, I expect a small-mid sized working majority, but I don't see what we should be looking at to put the overall outcome in doubt."

If Starmer fails to win a majority the factors we will point to, which in hindsight will seem obvious, are:
    1. Starmer's personal ratings, which are dire, and compare very badly to Blair or Cameron, the only two opposition leaders to become PM in the last 44 years.
    2. The small proportion of direct Tory-Labour switchers, compared to the number of don't knows and switchers to Reform.
    3. The strength of Tory data-driven, highly-targeted online campaigning, which is very poorly regulated compared to leaflet deliveries and billboard posters.
    4. The volatility in the electorate that makes a large campaign turnaround possible (when Starmer flunks it in the campaign).

1. OK, if we say these ratings are a reverse of 2019, I'll admit the difference is that Boris was already PM where as Starmer is LOTO.

2. Don't agree. If you look at 1997, direct switching was only at slightly higher levels, and indirect swing (notably abstainers) was at least an equal driver of the overall result.

3. Possibly, but some of the novelty we saw in 2015, has worn off.

4. There has been lots of volatility but, as of this point, we do appear to be in a more settled pattern and Starmer is risk averse. Maybe, though.

Like Isam says, leader change is a possible wildcard, but here In think the Tories are trawling the barely tested and likely inadequate and it is as likely to work against c them as for them.
    But Isam is recommending Johnson. Tried, tested and rejected!
    Not rejected by the voters. He is their best shot, but it’s probably too late, and to improbable for him to be a runner now
    Not at a general election but he had been rejected in lesser polls.
  • Options
    As it's Friday pm: who was it mentioned chicken nuggets on TV this weekend? This review is pretty positive.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/mar/15/its-so-weird-the-tv-show-about-a-woman-who-turns-into-a-chicken-nugget
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,395
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.
    Apart from anything else, "grifter" is being so overused it is losing any impact, so you really should desist, and save it for actual grifters

English has the richest vocabulary of any language on earth: exploit it!
    There's also a distinction between figures like Farage - figures from the 'pre-grift' era who have see how easy it is to monetise a certain degree of political celebrity and those who are entirely a creation of social media's need for blowhards capable of attracting eyeballs without any filter on the quality of what they are saying.

Farage would still be around without his hawking himself about, he'd just probably be giving the Sunday Telegraph soft soap interviews, writing a book and doing 'An Evening With...'. The genuine political grifters are those who wouldn't be near political media if there weren't money to be made by being performatively thick.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018
    Truman said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

The grift is absolutely a big part of the reason Trump is in politics. Indeed running against Clinton possibly saved his business at the time.
    The addiction to power is also part of it, but that doesn't invalidate the description.

Addiction to money is a thing. People absolutely don't need any more money but they keep on creating schemes to rake it in
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,872
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

At a time when some of PB debates whether wagyu or something else is the best beef, I'm finding myself wondering if school meals are climbing the agenda (warning: photos in first report are not for the sensitive):

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/mar/13/how-difficult-is-it-to-bake-a-potato-head-hits-out-at-school-caterers-southampton

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/mar/15/i-cant-make-them-eat-it-teachers-and-parents-share-concerns-over-school-lunches-in-england

At around £2.50 per meal in funding, I don't think they're making a huge fortune, though.
    It did startle me that, if I read correctly, the school in the first report can only say "please pretty please, can we have a bit more gruel" given that the caterers are contractors not to the school, or the LEA, but to the commercial firm which operates the school as a PFI.
    The madness of rampant neoliberalism shouldn't startle us these days.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,061
    Carnyx said:

As it's Friday pm: who was it mentioned chicken nuggets on TV this weekend? This review is pretty positive.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/mar/15/its-so-weird-the-tv-show-about-a-woman-who-turns-into-a-chicken-nugget

Only on PB... :)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,906
    Carnyx said:

I'm looking forward to it; I'll crack open the soju.
    Good cast, so fingers crossed.

Korean TV is great.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,488

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

The madness of rampant neoliberalism shouldn't startle us these days.
    It shouldn't, but I think it's better if it does. Easier to imagine changing it if we are still shocked by the absurdity of the current status quo.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666
    edited March 15

Ahhhhh. 🐎 not again 🙇‍♀️

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Not again. 🤦‍♀️

Three times today less than a length in second.

I’ve only got Bingoo left. And that might as well be a euphemism 🙇‍♀️
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,665
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

Any good gags to share ?
    Does it include the one about the ghillies who find a dead ape escaped from the zoo?
  • Options
    Anyway, back to politics.

People Polling, eh?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,607

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

PS there are some other published authors on here - one or two have mentioned when they have a new book out (e.g. MorrisDancer?).
    it's very flattering that you think I have the multi-tasking skills to create all these sockpuppets. Sadly, I do not

@Mysticrose was very much her own woman (she was a she, IIRC). She also had fascinating and unusual opinions -
    a well-travelled leftwing Brexiteer! - and she had some remarkable experiences to share: shame she quit

On checking her profile I see that this was her final comment, in early 2021, in the middle of the horrible lockdown winter:

"And with that I'm orrrf. G'day to y'all. xx"

As someone who keeps trying to leave, and fails miserably, I have to admire the elan there. She said she was going, she said it with style, and she's actually gone. Chapeau
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

A concise volume I imagine?

Other than Burns and his passing off of his works into to Scottish canon I can't think of much that was humorous before Billy Connelly. Who are these amusing people?

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,328
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

The guests sure would be greeting afterwards.

Niche Scotch language joke. Well, niche furth of Scotland.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

Any good gags to share ?
    Does it include the one about the ghillies who find a dead ape escaped from the zoo?
    “Ye can take ma daughter tae Inverness!!” was the punchline of my fav Scottish joke
  • Options
    We have lost an awful lot of interesting commenters, and they are still disappearing

I know it is the way of the world, Nineveh and Tyre and all that, but it is still a damn shame

Hopefully AI will create loads of interesting bots that can fill the gaps. That should, actually, be an easily achievable task
  • Options

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

Greeting = weeping, right?

Irvine Welsh uses it a lot. I do like a bit of gritty Scotch vocab. "Stramash" is brilliant
  • Options

Truman said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Addiction to money is a thing. People absolutely don't need any more money but they keep on creating schemes to rake it in
    So by your logic noone has any principles and everyone is on the grift. Being a tory mp is a grift, being a high paid journalist is a grift, being a big pharma rep is certainly a grift.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

Any good gags to share ?
    Let's just say I can't see Billy Connolly raiding it.

One or two are on the level of:

English commercial traveller gets out for a walk along the platform when his cold train is stopped for a while, to try and warm himself up. Passing a porter:

- Ah, this is invigorating.
    - Na, na, sir; this is Invergordon.

Though the more grimly philosophical ones are better:

Travelling dancing-master and his son have tea chez a very parsimonious housewife. Off they go, and when safely away, he remarks "Aweel, Jock, if we're no better we're no waur".

Or:

Visitor wanting to check the salmon fishing asks a local:

-There's been nane seen this sisson.
    -But I heard that one had been hooked only last week down at [wherever]?
    (grimly and emphatically) - There micht hae be ane hookit, but there's been nane seen.

• Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.
    Apart from anything else, "grifter" is being so overused it is losing any impact, so you really should desist, and save it for actual grifters

also it seems only to be applied to those on the right.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

Other than Burns and his passing off of his works into to Scottish canon I can't think of much that was humorous before Billy Connelly. Who are these amusing people?

Obviously unfamiliar with most of Scots literature, then.

Over 300 pp. Many people from all over Scotland and its diaspora.
  • Options
    Leon said:

We have lost an awful lot of interesting commenters, and they are still disappearing

I know it is the way of the world, Nineveh and Tyre and all that, but it is still a damn shame

Hopefully AI will create loads of interesting bots that can fill the gaps. That should, actually, be an easily achievable task

You still got the Truman show mate.
  • Options
    edited March 15

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

Any good gags to share ?
    Actually, some of the jokes reminded me of that very one - that implacable even-handedness.

PS IIRC it was a chimp from a travelling menagerie.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,328
    edited March 15
    Leon said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

Greeting = weeping, right?

Irvine Welsh uses it a lot. I do like a bit of gritty Scotch vocab. "Stramash" is brilliant
    Aye.

‘That hotelier just called me a ******’ **** and punched me in the face just because I asked for sugar on my porridge!’ sobbed the unfortunate guest as they wiped blood from their nose.

‘Stop ****** greeting!’ roared the hotelier.
  • Options
    I’ve managed to capture a superb close up image of these curious raptors haunting the Colombian coastline. There’s lots of detail here so I hope a PB ornithologist will now be able to identify the species

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

Sounds interesting. I'm English, but from a Scottish ancestral line. So obviously I can find no greater fun than poking the Scots in the ribs, but equally I'm really quite interested in what went on in the dark and rainy land in the past.
  • Options
    Solved!

“The black vulture (Coragyps atratus), also known as the American black vulture, Mexican vulture, zopilote, urubu, or gallinazo, is a bird in the New World vulture family whose range extends from the southeastern United States to Perú, Central Chile and Uruguay in South America”

I love the Internet
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,683
    DM_Andy said:

Seattle Times is informing me, that based on 2023 population estimates released by US Census Bureau, King County WA has just passed Queens County NY (aka NYC Borough of Queens) as USA's 12th-largest county.

HOWEVER, note that Kings County NY (aka NYC Borough of Brooklyn) is still larger in 9th place.

1. Los Angeles Co CA
    2. Cook Co IL (Chicago)
    5. San Diego Co CA
    7. Miami-Dade Co FL
    8. Dallas Co TX
    10. Riverside Co CA
    12. King Co WA (Seattle)

While Queens County, NY was named after royalty (Catherine of Braganza) King County WA is an very odd fish, named originally after William King (13th Vice-President of the United States) but then taken off him and officially renamed after Martin Luther King. I'm not sure you can just "Candle in the Wind" things like that because the reason King County is called King County is the VP not MLK.
    Check out the top left-hand corner of this web page
    https://cd.kingcounty.gov/en/home/dept/elections

King Co, Washington WAS originally named for Franklin Pierce's Vice President, following his untimely death in office; note that neighboring Pierce Co, Washington was named for FP.

These names were designated in early 1850s by the (IIRC) Oregon Territory legislature.

BUT as per KC's wiki page:

Originally named after US representative, senator, and then vice president-elect William R. King in 1852, the county government amended its designation in 1986 to honor Martin Luther King Jr., a prominent activist and leader during the Civil rights movement. The change was approved by the state government in 2005.

So, yes, the county AND state CAN "Candle in the WInd" things like that.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,480
    Thoughts and prayers for @MrEd as the prosecutor on the Georgia case is allowed to stay - however, with the caveat her ex-lover must go on the Caesar's wife principle.

Fani Willis can stay on Donald Trump Georgia election case if ex-lover quits
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68568382
  • Options
    Gallinazo is a great name for a bird. Is "gallinazi" the plural?

Yes, I am a bit bored
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,013
    Leon said:

I’ve managed to capture a superb close up image of these curious raptors haunting the Colombian coastline. There’s lots of detail here so I hope a PB ornithologist will now be able to identify the species

It’s clearly the Colombian Highasa Kite.
  • Options
    edited March 15
    Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

Sounds interesting. I'm English, but from a Scottish ancestral line. So obviously I can find no greater fun than poking the Scots in the ribs, but equally I'm really quite interested in what went on in the dark and rainy land in the past.
    The book has a lot of anecdotes rather than jokes, so it's actually quite a good social history in its way. Some of them are obsolete these days - unless one is a gardener with a compost heap, I suppose, in the case of (here abbreviated) one about a hard-working Aberdeenshire farmer before 6 am in winter, yelling up the stairs to his sons:
    - Get up, you lazy loons, gin ye lie muckle langer ye'll rot!
    - Na, na, faither, we turn whiles.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

It’s clearly the Colombian Highasa Kite.
    No - I think it’s an actual bird.
  • Options
    edited March 15
    Another reason it was madness for the Tory MPs to get rid of Boris was there was a dynamic between him & Sir Keir that was a wedge issue in itself - there was no need to create any more. They were the totem poles of Get Brexit Done & Second Referendum, they were Cavalier vs Roundhead, Arthur Daley vs Chisholm, Rocky vs Apollo Creed, Joker vs Batman…People would’ve chosen a side but now it’s just meh
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,184
    Truman said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

Russell Brand used to be a grifter on the left but is now a grifter on the right. Left wing people tend to lack the entrepreneurial flair required for the role.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

The book has a lot of anecdotes rather than jokes, so it's actually quite a good social history in its way. Some of them are obsolete these days - unless one is a gardener with a compost heap, I suppose, in the case of (here abbreviated) one about a hard-working Aberdeenshire farmer before 6 am in winter, yelling up the stairs to his sons:
    Anecdotes instead of actual jokes? Social History over laughs? You sure it’s not The Daily Mash Annual?
  • Options
    isam said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

Anecdotes instead of actual jokes? Social History over laughs? You sure it’s not The Daily Mash Annual?
    Quite sure. It's in the nature of the beast.
  • Options
    Bingoo goes off at 40-1. 🐎 And I can switch off, go out and lie down in the shed.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

I think my family left Scotland (and it was Aberdeenshire coincidently) in about 1885 (Scots Guards), so this must have been their day-to-day. I find these transitions enormously fascinating.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,036

Truman said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

Russell Brand used to be a grifter on the left but is now a grifter on the right. Left wing people tend to lack the entrepreneurial flair required for the role.
    On topic. So is Galloway.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,773
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

Wandered into a bar in Dingwall and ordered haggis for lunch. You could have heard a pin drop. Suddenly the place was alive with unsolicited advice whether to eat it, how to eat it and what the consequences might be. Various phone numbers were proffered for emergency use. Finally I had to eat it while the assembled company measured my progress with feigned concern. I left to a hearty round of applause.

Dour it wasn't.
  • Options

DM_Andy said:

1. Los Angeles Co CA
    2. Cook Co IL (Chicago)
    5. San Diego Co CA
    7. Miami-Dade Co FL
    8. Dallas Co TX
    10. Riverside Co CA
    12. King Co WA (Seattle)

King Co, Washington WAS originally named for Franklin Pierce's Vice President, following his untimely death in office; note that neighboring Pierce Co, Washington was named for FP.

These names were designated in early 1850s by the (IIRC) Oregon Territory legislature.

Originally named after US representative, senator, and then vice president-elect William R. King in 1852, the county government amended its designation in 1986 to honor Martin Luther King Jr., a prominent activist and leader during the Civil rights movement. The change was approved by the state government in 2005.

Yes, they CAN, but it's still a bit like declaring Rwanda a safe country, it doesn't change the fact the county was named after William King.

• Options
    Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

I think my family left Scotland (and it was Aberdeenshire coincidently) in about 1885 (Scots Guards), so this must have been their day-to-day. I find these transitions enormously fascinating.
    The author comments on the changing attitude to social welfare, and how even in his own day many still would not deign to accept charity. I rather think that's one reason for NI originally - to try and make sure there was no stigma about taking the pension.

The classic Aberdeenshire rural novel is Johnnie Gibb of Gushetneuk btw - but it does need the mental ear to bed into the Doric if one isn't familiar with it.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

It is appalling.
    And such minuscule portions for growing teens.
    A sandwich. That is two slices of thin white bread with one slice of ham, cheese or a spoonful of tuna and a biscuit is one of the edible options.
    There are millions of voters whose kids are being treated like this.
    I was listening about this situation over the last couple of days whilst waking up and had one of those “if I had Bezos money…” thought processes start.

I’ve always thought that there must be universal free school meals but not just lunch, breakfast too.

I was lucky enough at school to be able to shovel down, every morning, endless cereal, a cooked breakfast of some variety and endless toast, tea, coffee, juice or milk. I had access to hot chocolate and biscuits at break in the winter and juice and biscuits in the summer and a solid hot lunch every day with a regular smorgasbord of choices in the evening.

We absolutely ate like horses and weren’t getting fat because we were studying all day, playing sports, being young and growing our brains and bodies. We were very lucky that we had the fuel there. I find it very hard to accept that other kids don’t get even a tiny part of that and so as I said I believe there should be free school meals, breakfast and lunch, for every kid.

But re the Bezos or Musk money I tried to think how it would work if I could say “I’m putting 50 billion into trust to cover the cost of this forever. Do you build kitchens and canteens for every school? Food trucks in the playground? Do you have one organisation doing the whole thing to achieve purchasing power? How do you cope with dietary requirements, religious rules, kids being picky kids as they will be naturally?

I would love to have to find the solution but somehow it does need to be done.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,488
    Leon said:

What you have there is a bird. You can tell on account of the wings.
  • Options
    a

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

Wandered into a bar in Dingwall and ordered haggis for lunch. You could have heard a pin drop. Suddenly the place was alive with unsolicited advice whether to eat it, how to eat it and what the consequences might be. Various phone numbers were proffered for emergency use. Finally I had to eat it while the assembled company measured my progress with feigned concern. I left to a hearty round of applause.

Dour it wasn't.
    Free range or battery raised?
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

The thread where they last posted is fascinating. Talking about how Boris is going to play the 2024 election. February 2021. Ukraine is just a glint in Putin's eye.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

It is appalling.
    A sandwich. That is two slices of thin white bread with one slice of ham, cheese or a spoonful of tuna and a biscuit is one of the edible options.
    A quote from a headteacher in this piece: "You do wonder how many ministers have children in state schools, and know what meals are like."
    I have consistently said that nobody with kids in private school should be anywhere near schools policy. If people in charge had personal skin in the game the system would not be in the appalling state it is now.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,609
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

It is appalling.
    It's the COVIDtide food parcels scandal again.

But if profit in the next twelve months is how you keep score, rather than longer term reputation, what do you expect?

Capitalism is great, but it does have an unacceptable face. And unfortunately for the incumbent PM, it looks remarkably like his.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 696

Truman said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

Oh god, there's loads of them on twitter.

People with between a fifty thousand and a million followers who post an endless stream of "Fuck the tories!", "What's your favourite biscuit? Mine's a bourbon!", "Boris is a wankmuffin!", "Send me money, and I'll pass it on to a charity!", "Here's a clip from BBC QT that proves that all Tories are shits!"...

Grifters, all of them. Some are better at wheedling money out of their followers than others, but they're all on the take to some extent.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,482
    Leon said:

The Wherethefuckarewe Bird.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

The author comments on the changing attitude to social welfare, and how even in his own day many still would not deign to accept charity. I rather think that's one reason for NI originally - to try and make sure there was no stigma about taking the pension.

The classic Aberdeenshire rural novel is Johnnie Gibb of Gushetneuk btw - but it does need the mental ear to bed into the Doric if one isn't familiar with it.
    Thanks Carnyx

I'll find a copy.

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,683
    DM_Andy said:

DM_Andy said:

1. Los Angeles Co CA
    2. Cook Co IL (Chicago)
    5. San Diego Co CA
    7. Miami-Dade Co FL
    8. Dallas Co TX
    10. Riverside Co CA
    12. King Co WA (Seattle)

Yes, they CAN, but it's still a bit like declaring Rwanda a safe country, it doesn't change the fact the county was named after William King.

Emphasis on "was".
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

It is appalling.
    A quote from a headteacher in this piece: "You do wonder how many ministers have children in state schools, and know what meals are like."
    I have consistently said that nobody with kids in private school should be anywhere near schools policy. If people in charge had personal skin in the game the system would not be in the appalling state it is now.
    I’m sure there was an old saw that the French Education Minister could look at a piece of paper and know what every schoolchild in France was having for lunch that day. I would hope/expect that every education minister whose kids were at private school would look at what his/her kids are eating, and look at what other kids are eating and go mad if it was not aligned.

You can hate the discrepancy without living the reality and do something about it. It just requires basic thought and humanity.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,866

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

And I have a copy of "The Comprehensive Guide to Board Wargaming" by one Nicholas Palmer.
  • Options
    boulay said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

It is appalling.
    I’m sure there was an old saw that the French Education Minister could look at a piece of paper and know what every schoolchild in France was having for lunch that day. I would hope/expect that every education minister whose kids were at private school would look at what his/her kids are eating, and look at what other kids are eating and go mad if it was not aligned.

You can hate the discrepancy without living the reality and do something about it. It just requires basic thought and humanity.
    Yeah good luck with that.
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,535
    https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/15/no-compelling-examples-of-what-levelling-up-has-delivered-watchdog-finds

So, the PAC’s found that levelling up is a load of bollocks.

Which isn’t surprising, really, given it’s nothing more than florid Johnsonian bullshit designed to delay the growing realisation amongst the working classes that, in choosing to believe the smorgasbord of unicornery fantasies peddled by the Leave camapaigns, they had in fact voted to make themselves, and the public services they hold so dear, poorer.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,874

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

And I have a copy of "The Comprehensive Guide to Board Wargaming" by one Nicholas Palmer.
    Me too!

I used to love hex based simulations. I still have my Squad Leader with expansions in the back of a cupboard, hidden safely from Mrs Foxy.
  • Options
    Speaking of grifters hetes joey barton begging for money so he can sue Jeremy Vine.
    Just in Genève Airport and checked the GFM. Overwhelmed by support. Thank you.

Well over £5,000 now in the fund https://gofund.me/b9496caa

Let’s teach this establishment mouthpiece a lesson.

395 donations from the legends

Whatever I get in the fund, I will match pound for pound with a donation to
    @AlderHey
    so they win regardless.

https://x.com/Joey7Barton/status/1768685006623326496?s=20
  • Options
    I'm talking my book here, but if Burnham is front and centre to be re-elected as Manchester Mayor, how is he going to get himself chosen as the next Labour leader?

Will he run again? (My guess almost certainly yes)

Is he likely to run to be an MP so soon after being re-elected? (My guess no)

If he's not running in the GE is it likely that he'll pick up and win a safe Labour seat in the future? (Maybe)

Can he really parachute himself into the role after the above? (Surely not!)

I know it's a long standing thing, but him being the favourite to take over Starmer's legacy seems insane.
  • Options

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

Have you got the companion volume?

"The Comprehensive Guide to Social Experiences in Switzerland" by one Nicholas Palmer
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,903
    Late afternoon all :)

Has anyone posted the Survation numbers?

LAB 45 (+1)
    CON 26 (-3)
    LD 11 (+2)
    GRN 3 (-)
    RFM 8 (+1)
    SNP 2 (-1)
    OTH 4 (-)

Fieldwork 11th-14th March (changes from February poll)

All within trend - Lab/LD/Green vs Con/Ref at 59-34, Techne is 60-34, We Think 59-37, YouGov 60-34.

In December 2019, it was 47-48 so the swing is around 13%.

The 2021 local election set (albeit bigger than this year's because it included contests postponed from 2020) produced a 7 point Conservative advantage when the party was leading the national GE polls by 9-10 points. Last year, Labour won by 9 points even though they led the polls by 14-15 points. If the lead is now 20 points or greater, that suggests a Labour lead in the locals of 12-14 points - a 13 point Labour advantage would be a 10% swing since 2021.

There are something in the order of 5,300 seats up for election in seven weeks.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,176
    New Scottish vocabulary: "the hate monster"

https://www.scotland.police.uk/advice-and-information/hate-crime/hate-monster-campaign/

The Hate Monster, represents that feeling some people get when they are frustrated and angry and take it out on others, because they feel like they need to show they are better than them. In other words, they commit a hate crime.

The Hate Monster loves it when you get angry. He weighs you down till you end up targeting someone, just because they look or act different to you.

When you’re feeling insecure or angry, the Hate Monster feeds on that.

We know that young men aged 18-30 are most likely to commit hate crime, particularly those from socially excluded communities who are heavily influenced by their peers.

They may have deep-rooted feelings of being socially and economically disadvantaged, combined with ideas about white-male entitlement.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809
  • Options
    More from Barton

I’ve started a Go Fund Me to take on Jeremy Vine.

All proceeds gained will go to
    @AlderHey
    in Liverpool. This is about principle for me. He’s a strange man Vine.

https://gofund.me/b9496caa

Thanks for the support in advance.
    Show more

https://x.com/Joey7Barton/status/1768555202582339794?s=20
  • Options
    CatMan said:
    Makes no sense. (Doubly)
  • Options

https://www.scotland.police.uk/advice-and-information/hate-crime/hate-monster-campaign/

The Hate Monster, represents that feeling some people get when they are frustrated and angry and take it out on others, because they feel like they need to show they are better than them. In other words, they commit a hate crime.

The Hate Monster loves it when you get angry. He weighs you down till you end up targeting someone, just because they look or act different to you.

We know that young men aged 18-30 are most likely to commit hate crime, particularly those from socially excluded communities who are heavily influenced by their peers.

They may have deep-rooted feelings of being socially and economically disadvantaged, combined with ideas about white-male entitlement.

All young people think that the universe owes them more - that it's unfair how things are.... that things need to change.

I rather think it is wired in. Part of how human society works. And one of the reasons for it's advancement, over the years.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,395
    AlsoLei said:

Truman said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

People with between a fifty thousand and a million followers who post an endless stream of "Fuck the tories!", "What's your favourite biscuit? Mine's a bourbon!", "Boris is a wankmuffin!", "Send me money, and I'll pass it on to a charity!", "Here's a clip from BBC QT that proves that all Tories are shits!"...

Grifters, all of them. Some are better at wheedling money out of their followers than others, but they're all on the take to some extent.
    Yup, the Corbyn movement spawned a tonne too - Rachael Swindon, the son of that 90-year-old Harry chap. There's a whole self-sustaining social media ecosystem that runs on the idea antisemitism was made up to hurt St. Jeremy.
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

Truman said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

Captain Tom’s family must be the greatest and most shameless grifters in history. Closely followed by “rachel from Swindon” and the son of “Harry’s last stand”. All on the left
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,874

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/15/no-compelling-examples-of-what-levelling-up-has-delivered-watchdog-finds

So, the PAC’s found that levelling up is a load of bollocks.

Which isn’t surprising, really, given it’s nothing more than florid Johnsonian bullshit designed to delay the growing realisation amongst the working classes that, in choosing to believe the smorgasbord of unicornery fantasies peddled by the Leave camapaigns, they had in fact voted to make themselves, and the public services they hold so dear, poorer.

Perfectly timed release on the day the hapless Sunak ventured North of Watford.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/sunak-hunt-visit-north-east-28820701

The election campaign is going to be car crash after car crash. It will make May's 2017 campaign look slick, yet some expect swingback...

• Options
    MJW said:

AlsoLei said:

Truman said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

Yup, the Corbyn movement spawned a tonne too - Rachael Swindon, the son of that 90-year-old Harry chap. There's a whole self-sustaining social media ecosystem that runs on the idea antisemitism was made up to hurt St. Jeremy.
    "...the idea antisemitism was made up to hurt St. Jeremy."

{Ernest Renan has entered the chat, vituperating wildly}
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 696
    Truman said:

Speaking of grifters hetes joey barton begging for money so he can sue Jeremy Vine.

@AlderHey
    so they win regardless.

Only a middling example of a grift.

Giveaways:
    Organised through gofundme through their 'Other' category, which is essentially freeform and gives no certainty about where the money is actually going
    Money is to provide "crucial support", not to cover legal fees
    Weird third person language: "In solidarity with Joey Barton's cause, we've..." - yet the organiser is supposedly Barton himself. Who is the money really going to?
    Not actually suing anyone - it's actually the fundraiser who's being sued. Why? And for what?

I don't know who either of these two people are, and have no knowledge about whether Barton is or isn't a paedophile - but this fundraiser stinks.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,609
    boulay said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

It is appalling.
    I was listening about this situation over the last couple of days whilst waking up and had one of those “if I had Bezos money…” thought processes start.

I’ve always thought that there must be universal free school meals but not just lunch, breakfast too.

I was lucky enough at school to be able to shovel down, every morning, endless cereal, a cooked breakfast of some variety and endless toast, tea, coffee, juice or milk. I had access to hot chocolate and biscuits at break in the winter and juice and biscuits in the summer and a solid hot lunch every day with a regular smorgasbord of choices in the evening.

We absolutely ate like horses and weren’t getting fat because we were studying all day, playing sports, being young and growing our brains and bodies. We were very lucky that we had the fuel there. I find it very hard to accept that other kids don’t get even a tiny part of that and so as I said I believe there should be free school meals, breakfast and lunch, for every kid.

But re the Bezos or Musk money I tried to think how it would work if I could say “I’m putting 50 billion into trust to cover the cost of this forever. Do you build kitchens and canteens for every school? Food trucks in the playground? Do you have one organisation doing the whole thing to achieve purchasing power? How do you cope with dietary requirements, religious rules, kids being picky kids as they will be naturally?

Not sure, but I suspect simpler is better.

Most schools have the facilities to feed their pupils, albeit often on a split shift. And the marginal costs of going from feeding some to feeding all are smaller than the baseline cost of feeding anyone.

Part of the problem is small-statery, "parents should be responsible for feeding their children" or (more reasonably) feeding children from wealthier families isn't a good priority for very limited resources.

But also- who has responsibility for school meals being decent? The school, the PFI, the catering contractor? If everyone is responsible then nobody is responsible and we get this outcome.

And even if a commercial organisation is more efficient than a school dinner lady, the current setup has a lot of middlemen taking a bite.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

AlsoLei said:

Truman said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

Captain Tom’s family must be the greatest and most shameless grifters in history. Closely followed by “rachel from Swindon” and the son of “Harry’s last stand”. All on the left
    I hear that the Captain Tom charity have announced they are hoping that people will donate a pound for every spin Captain Tom makes in his grave.
    lol!

Also Jack "give me money because I'm rich sorry poor" Monroe. Another lefty grifter

There are plenty of them
  • Options
    I know I promised not to talk about AI but I looked again at that video of the robot. It is incredible. It is also terrifying

We are right on the edge now, yet most people are blithely unaware
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,811
    edited March 15
    Carnyx said:

I looked up today's menu for the students canteen in a random secondary school in Le Havre, Lycée Jules Siegfried:

Mixed salad
    Turkey escalope or fish of the day with pilau rice and salsify with cream
    Selection of cheeses
    Pear and chocolate tart, yoghurt, dessert of the day or fruit
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

Truman said:

@AlderHey
    so they win regardless.

Only a middling example of a grift.

Giveaways:
    Organised through gofundme through their 'Other' category, which is essentially freeform and gives no certainty about where the money is actually going
    Money is to provide "crucial support", not to cover legal fees
    Weird third person language: "In solidarity with Joey Barton's cause, we've..." - yet the organiser is supposedly Barton himself. Who is the money really going to?
    Not actually suing anyone - it's actually the fundraiser who's being sued. Why? And for what?

I don't know who either of these two people are, and have no knowledge about whether Barton is or isn't a paedophile - but this fundraiser stinks.
    It doesn't matter whether Barton is or isn't, he's accused Jeremy Vine of being one* and that's why he's being sued.

* or maybe not - I assume his defence will be that "bike n***e" means something different to just "n***e"
  • Options
    Leon said:

I know I promised not to talk about AI but I looked again at that video of the robot. It is incredible. It is also terrifying

"that video of the robot"

Could you provide a link please?

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,142
    stodge said:

Late afternoon all :)

Has anyone posted the Survation numbers?

LAB 45 (+1)
    CON 26 (-3)
    LD 11 (+2)
    GRN 3 (-)
    RFM 8 (+1)
    SNP 2 (-1)
    OTH 4 (-)

Fieldwork 11th-14th March (changes from February poll)

All within trend - Lab/LD/Green vs Con/Ref at 59-34, Techne is 60-34, We Think 59-37, YouGov 60-34.

In December 2019, it was 47-48 so the swing is around 13%.

Except that in 2019 only 2% of the vote went to the Faragists! So unless anyone thinks nearly all the Refuk vote will magically go to the Tories on polling day, it's considerably worse for the Tories than a 13% swing.
  • Options
    https://x.com/mod_soc_dem/status/1768562146068095351

Keir Starmer appears on Kilroy in 1989 about acid house raves 😊 ✌🏻

I don't care if I am accused of bias, SKS was a sexy man in his youth. NEIGH NEIGH!
  • Options

boulay said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

It is appalling.

Most schools have the facilities to feed their pupils, albeit often on a split shift. And the marginal costs of going from feeding some to feeding all are smaller than the baseline cost of feeding anyone.

Part of the problem is small-statery, "parents should be responsible for feeding their children" or (more reasonably) feeding children from wealthier families isn't a good priority for very limited resources.

But also- who has responsibility for school meals being decent? The school, the PFI, the catering contractor? If everyone is responsible then nobody is responsible and we get this outcome.

And even if a commercial organisation is more efficient than a school dinner lady, the current setup has a lot of middlemen taking a bite.
    It’s one of the things where I, as a small stater, would like the gov to step in and control. Feeding kids well is the best investment any government could make. Happy, healthy kids will behave better in class, achieve more, be less of a burden on the health system in the future and possibly (according to my non existent crime survey) less of a problem on society.

We were discussing budget hotels the other week and someone mentioned a chain where they do a breakfast in a bag. Surely a gov backed entity could replicate that with gigantic buying power to ensure every sschool child in the uk starts the day, before the first lesson with a breakfast, some milk, juice, cereal and a roll of some sort. In a bag that’s waiting for them when they arrive.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,903
    As for the election date, I'm assuming Jeremy Hunt will use the Autumn Statement to try to put more jam on the table (or the floor) in terms of further taxation reductions. Last year, the Autumn Statement was on November 22nd but I imagine it could be brought forward somewhat.

We know the Conservative Conference is booked for September 29th - October 2nd. I would imagine that offers a mid October date for the Autumn Statement and a four week campaign to build on the "feelgood" from the Hunt statement.

The Autumn Statement might be October 16th and Sunak calls the election the following Monday - October 21st replete with Nelsonian rhetoric, "England Expects - every voter will do their duty and vote Conservative".

That leads to November 21st in my view - perhaps a week earlier. If the Conservatives are still 20 points or more behind, it'll be the longest suicide since a group of arthritic lemmings decided to head to the cliff top via the scenic route.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Grifter

noun; slang.

Yep. You got it.

Have you got the companion volume?

"The Comprehensive Guide to Social Experiences in Switzerland" by one Nicholas Palmer
    Isn't that in three volumes?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,802

The madness of progressivism.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,042
    CatMan said:
    That would require an announcement well before September 5th - which means an announcement in August and so no autumn statement with money given away..
  • Options

boulay said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

It is appalling.

A good deal of it, is the conceit that one big contract must be cheaper than each school kitchen organising itself.

Yet time and again, companies will tell you that outsourcing stuff you do every day doesn't reduce costs.

• Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

"that video of the robot"

Could you provide a link please?

Sure

https://youtu.be/Sq1QZB5baNw?si=oN3TnvI1IvP7zVOl
This discussion has been closed.