Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Some context for budget week – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,251
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

I keep reading at the longer Sunak waits, the worse it will be for Tory electoral prospects. Even “Montie” says so.

But there’s no evidence for this, is there?

The evidence is "everything Richi says" and "everything Richi does"
    Chessboards, compulsory maths to 18, and cancelling investment in the North. The great Sunakian dream.
    Chessboards, with no pieces...

If anything symbolises the man's vision for the Country
    It would be interesting to see him play Reeves.

More interesting than any debate anyway.
    My guess would be she wipes the floor with him.

A foreshadowing of the election...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,878
    TimS said:

I keep reading at the longer Sunak waits, the worse it will be for Tory electoral prospects. Even “Montie” says so.

'Evidence'? Well no - it's hard to produce evidence for what might happen in the future.

But there are good reasons why it might be so, as I posted yesterday:

Advantages of May:
    - Avoids fall-out from the locals.
    - Forestalls any further major division or a leadership challenge.
    - Energy prices will fall in April.
    - Any tax cuts will have appeared in April payslips.
    - Boat numbers will be yet to rise.
    - Inflation probably back at target (temporarily).
    - Mortgage rates falling and fewer will have switched to higher fixed rate (than will have by the autumn).

Advantages of Oct/Nov:
    - Something might turn up.
    - Sunak spends more time as PM.
    If I were Sunak I’d wait as long as possible. When the party’s knocking on 20% there’s far more upside than downside in waiting. It might not work, but it might.

There’s also the “safe to take the plunge” problem. People might be happier to vote for change if things are looking up economically, which they sort of are now. In fact the situation is ideal for Labour: economy fairly stable but could do with a boost, public services in a bad state.

If people feel financial fear again they might actually cling closer to the devil they know rather than risking a change.
    So... Sunak should wait until the economy starts looking (even) worse to give him the best chance of victory? Interesting take.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,880

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

An interesting new piece by Mr Meeks yesterday:

https://alastair-meeks.medium.com/the-death-clock-71b807a65973

Well, it certainly doesn't have the cheeriest start for a Monday morning.
    I did the Death Clock (I'm on a bus from Ban Phe to Bangkok and have run out of stuff to read so I'm relying on my Dtac data to keep me amused)

Bloody hell, it reckons I'm going to live to 103. That's 44 years, more than my whole adult life so far. What on earth am going to do to keep myself amused?
    PB?

98 for me, which is a bit alarming. I'm less than half way!
    I’m dead already, apparently, and have been for a dozen years!
    The key thing is not to say that you are pessimistic. It seems to take nearly ten years off your lifespan.
    It’s becoming increasingly difficult to maintain an optimistic outlook!
    I’m hoping to see another ‘Portillo moment’ though!

Switching from 'optimistic' (which I think I am) to 'pessimistic' took 21 years off my life. I wonder whether there are any studies to back up the influence of optimism/pessimism in this calculation?
    It doesn't have enough detail to be accurate. No questions about blood pressure, diabetes, age that parents survived to etc.

I got 92 and 4 months from it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,152

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

I think it is perfectly reasonable to be cautious about a new vaccine, developed at huge and unprecedented pace, in the face of a global pandemic.

And there have been cases of side-effects to varying degrees. Is the disease likely worse yes of course but it is entirely legitimate to have concerns about a rapidly-developed new vaccine. Especially as it was a condition of living your life "normally" in the UK and elsewhere.

All vaccines I suppose have to be new at some point but that doesn't mean we oughtn't to be cautious about them.

That might have been a fair position to take 2 years ago, but today? Millions upon millions of people have had COVID-19 jabs. We’re not lacking data now.
    Yes, it was a position I initially took (as recorded here). But after doing a bit of research, I quickly came to the conclusion that it would almost certainly be safer to take the vaccine than not to do so. Scepticism is a good thing, but when you refuse to listen to the answers it becomes denial.
    Am I the only pb.com pureblood? Has anyone else never had the vax?
    Good decision in hindsight I would say , though I took 3. 3rd one caused my wife issues with atrial fibrilation for a time so be no more for sure.
    First one and its part deux for me. Oxford. No ill effects, but no good reason to go back for more either. I have seen no indication (of course there wouldn't be evidence anyway) that people chock full of the jab have any less of a bad time with Covid.
    It makes perfect logical sense to me that the vaccine would make your experience of Covid less severe than it might have been - you will after all have had a head start in building antibodies when you encountered Covid for real.
    And as we don't get a chance to live our lives twice, you'll never know what would have happened if you chose differently.

My experience of Covid last easter was pretty awful, but my view is that it would have been much worse if I had not been vaxxed up. But of course, I cannot know that for sure. All I can do is look at the evidence from people who were not vaxxed - and their experience seems to be much worse.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809

Last night I watched the Simpsons episode, “Mr Lisa Goes to Washington”, first aired in 1991. It’s the one where Lisa wins a patriotic speech competition and then foils a corrupt congressman.

Having lived through the actual period, it’s kind of fascinating to consider the changes with today.

- Both air travel and staying in a hotel are represented as slightly exotic luxuries.

- There are only two female congressmen.

- American democracy is still considered something to believe in.

Wait until you get to the 2011 episode "Bart to the Future", where a future Lisa as president makes a throw away joke about the president before her being Trump.

https://youtu.be/VXcYMvzZ7jk?si=CUn2fS-OPhp5M69x
  • Options

MattW said:

How is this even possible?

Theft and violence against workers in convenience stores across Britain have soared to record levels, according to new data.

About 5.6mn incidents of theft were recorded in 2023, more than a fivefold increase from the previous record of 1.1mn set in 2022, according to a report by the Association of Convenience Stores published on Monday.

I thought it was because they have been declared "do not prosecute if value under £200", and staff instructed not to intervene.

When I asked my local small Co-op they said it was mainly druggies.
    But why now. Why a fivefold increase in one year?
    Later in the article (FT) it noted that violent crime has merely doubled.

It is incredibly hard maintaining an image of the UK as anything but a post-apocalyptic hellhole, (which is how I imagine most PBers regard the US).
    You could always come here and see for yourself.
    I was back in my old stomping grounds (London Fields) last summer and it was lovely. Not sure how representative E8 is though.
    Why then do you find it "incredibly hard maintaining an image of the UK as anything but a post-apocalyptic hellhole"?
    Because of the unending misery on here, and in the news I read in such filthy rags as (checks notes), the FT.

My original post was an article claiming that shoplifting has increased 500% in 12 months.
    People moan and whinge; it's a staple of people everywhere. You could let some people live in a gilded palace with an unlimited income and a score of servants, and after a few months they'd be complaining about it being too sunny outside.

IMV whilst things are slightly worse than they were a few years ago, they're not massively worse. What we've lost is optimism and confidence. We *can* do, and be, better. Hopefully the next government will change that.

Despite Starmer.
    As always with this, different people have been affected in different ways. There’ll be plenty of people around who are better off financially than they were 5/10 years ago: there’s a lot of people out there who have managed to avoid the worst of the cost of living crisis. Plenty of people did very well out of Covid too.

Although this is linked to the economy, the greatest decline seems to be in the performance of public services. Our infrastructure continues to decay, GP services are undoubtedly worse, schools are crumbling. People do not trust our institutions in the way they once did. The fact that the Tories are obsessing with tax cuts in the middle of all this looks absolutely nuts. To the public at large, this feels like insanity when money needs to be spent fixing things. They are not on board the low taxes=higher growth train. Liz Truss killed off that particular argument from an electoral perspective for some time.
    I agree with all of that.
  • Options

'Evidence'? Well no - it's hard to produce evidence for what might happen in the future.

Advantages of May:
    - Mortgage rates falling and fewer will have switched to higher fixed rate (than will have by the autumn).

Advantages of Oct/Nov:
    It's mainly 'helpful' Labour fans dispensing this wisdom about May for the benefit of their hated opponents. Wonder why.
    True as far as it goes - I would like to see a change of government asap.

But why don't you simply demolish my logic if it's tainted by my bias?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,198

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

I did the Death Clock (I'm on a bus from Ban Phe to Bangkok and have run out of stuff to read so I'm relying on my Dtac data to keep me amused)

Bloody hell, it reckons I'm going to live to 103. That's 44 years, more than my whole adult life so far. What on earth am going to do to keep myself amused?
    PB?

The key thing is not to say that you are pessimistic. It seems to take nearly ten years off your lifespan.

Switching from 'optimistic' (which I think I am) to 'pessimistic' took 21 years off my life. I wonder whether there are any studies to back up the influence of optimism/pessimism in this calculation?
    I wonder about causation and whether there is a serious omitted variable problem here. I'm pretty optimistic about my own life, but I imagine that's partly because I've had a pretty charmed life on every dimension. Perhaps it's that charmed existence that lengthens life expectancy, rather than the optimism that comes along with it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,046
    A twitter thread https://twitter.com/philipjcowley/status/1764613431917720000 on reasons why Rishi may want an early (May) election
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,882

Advantages of May:

Advantages of Oct/Nov:
    It's mainly 'helpful' Labour fans dispensing this wisdom about May for the benefit of their hated opponents. Wonder why.

Having now seen your arguments, I get the logic.
    But overall I believe the “it might get better than 20%, and it can hardly get worse” outweighs them all.

There won’t be an election in May.
  • Options
    "EU fines Apple €1.8bn for breaking streaming rules"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68467752
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,399

TOPPING said:

MattW said:

Theft and violence against workers in convenience stores across Britain have soared to record levels, according to new data.

About 5.6mn incidents of theft were recorded in 2023, more than a fivefold increase from the previous record of 1.1mn set in 2022, according to a report by the Association of Convenience Stores published on Monday.

I thought it was because they have been declared "do not prosecute if value under £200", and staff instructed not to intervene.

It is incredibly hard maintaining an image of the UK as anything but a post-apocalyptic hellhole, (which is how I imagine most PBers regard the US).
    I was back in my old stomping grounds (London Fields) last summer and it was lovely. Not sure how representative E8 is though.
    Why then do you find it "incredibly hard maintaining an image of the UK as anything but a post-apocalyptic hellhole"?
    Because of the unending misery on here, and in the news I read in such filthy rags as (checks notes), the FT.

My original post was an article claiming that shoplifting has increased 500% in 12 months.
    The US is lucky to have you. Enjoy your journey (if you're not back there already).
    My journey to London was last summer (before a couple of weeks in France).

I’ll be back this summer for a wee bit.

The original idea was to come to New York for three years and “have an experience”. I’ve now done two years and career-wise my wife and I seem to have more opportunity here.

I’m torn, because I don’t really want to be American and I don’t want my kids to be American. But the UK seems like a pretty poor place to invest one’s life in right now.

I think the “three years” might become “five years”.
    My escape was to Scotland. I would substitute "England" for "the UK" - we had absolutely had enough of Teesside.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,335
    Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

The evidence is "everything Richi says" and "everything Richi does"
    Chessboards, compulsory maths to 18, and cancelling investment in the North. The great Sunakian dream.
    Chessboards, with no pieces...

If anything symbolises the man's vision for the Country
    It would be interesting to see him play Reeves.

More interesting than any debate anyway.
    My guess would be she wipes the floor with him.

A foreshadowing of the election...
    Can you still hear the lambs, Rishi?

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,198

TOPPING said:

MattW said:

The US is lucky to have you. Enjoy your journey (if you're not back there already).

The original idea was to come to New York for three years and “have an experience”. I’ve now done two years and career-wise my wife and I seem to have more opportunity here.

I’m torn, because I don’t really want to be American and I don’t want my kids to be American. But the UK seems like a pretty poor place to invest one’s life in right now.

We stayed in the US five years; same as you, started on a two year basis and kept rolling. Eventually we decided we had to commit to a life somewhere, buy a house, put down proper roots. We couldnt really envisage that in the US, for a range of reasons, so we came home.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,397

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

I think it is perfectly reasonable to be cautious about a new vaccine, developed at huge and unprecedented pace, in the face of a global pandemic.

And there have been cases of side-effects to varying degrees. Is the disease likely worse yes of course but it is entirely legitimate to have concerns about a rapidly-developed new vaccine. Especially as it was a condition of living your life "normally" in the UK and elsewhere.

All vaccines I suppose have to be new at some point but that doesn't mean we oughtn't to be cautious about them.

That might have been a fair position to take 2 years ago, but today? Millions upon millions of people have had COVID-19 jabs. We’re not lacking data now.
    Yes, it was a position I initially took (as recorded here). But after doing a bit of research, I quickly came to the conclusion that it would almost certainly be safer to take the vaccine than not to do so. Scepticism is a good thing, but when you refuse to listen to the answers it becomes denial.
    Good decision in hindsight I would say , though I took 3. 3rd one caused my wife issues with atrial fibrilation for a time so be no more for sure.
    First one and its part deux for me. Oxford. No ill effects, but no good reason to go back for more either. I have seen no indication (of course there wouldn't be evidence anyway) that people chock full of the jab have any less of a bad time with Covid.
    It makes perfect logical sense to me that the vaccine would make your experience of Covid less severe than it might have been - you will after all have had a head start in building antibodies when you encountered Covid for real.
    The vaccine makes severe covid illness far less likely. That was and remains its biggest benefit. It pulled us through the pandemic. Thank you vaccine. You're a star.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

PB?

I wonder about causation and whether there is a serious omitted variable problem here. I'm pretty optimistic about my own life, but I imagine that's partly because I've had a pretty charmed life on every dimension. Perhaps it's that charmed existence that lengthens life expectancy, rather than the optimism that comes along with it.
    I am inherently optimistic, so much so that I used to poach a great guy I'd worked with a lot (who was an inveterate pessimist) for each new project I managed, mainly to be a counter-balance to my optimism. I am not sure I'd say I have had an especially charmed life though.

I think optimism/pessimism is largely inherent, genetic, not environmental.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

The vaccine makes severe covid illness far less likely. That was and remains its biggest benefit. It pulled us through the pandemic. Thank you vaccine. You're a star.
    I'm not sure whether the vaccine pulled us through the pandemic or whether the moderation of Covid itself played a bigger role.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018

TOPPING said:

MattW said:

My escape was to Scotland. I would substitute "England" for "the UK" - we had absolutely had enough of Teesside.
    Why does that not surprise me? (As someone who lived happily in Newcastle for 10 years and would go back)
  • Options

Advantages of May:

Advantages of Oct/Nov:

But overall I believe the “it might get better than 20%, and it can hardly get worse” outweighs them all.

Without doubt the sensible choice for Sunak would be May; I doubt he will choose it.

In consequence, my left-leaning bias is rubbing its hands in glee at the prospect of an utter wipe-out of the Conservative Party in the autumn. There has to be as much chance of that as the Tories salvaging a hung-parliament or continued power.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,615
    Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Well I'm chock full of the jab have still never had Covid. Whether these are connected or whether something genetic is going on I guess I'll never know.
    I had a very mild bout of it last year. Meh.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,880

TOPPING said:

MattW said:

My grandparents came to the UK in 1932 for a couple of years. They lived here into their late nineties, very happy with their choice.

That's how immigration happens. 2 years becomes 5, becomes 10, then 20. At that point home is no longer home. Both migrant and origin country have changed.
  • Options

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

Well I'm chock full of the jab have still never had Covid. Whether these are connected or whether something genetic is going on I guess I'll never know.
    Are you confident it would have been as mild had you not been vaccinated?
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,033
    TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

That 20% from Ipsos is the third 20% polled in the last few weeks, from memory. When outliers keep happening they stop being outliers, I guess.

If the trend cements there will come a point when, probably correctly, Tory rebels will reason that it is still worth deposing Sunak, because the electoral hit from doing so will be pretty minimal.

Or leave him in place to take the blame.
    That would require a degree of strategic acuity the current party has failed to demonstrate in recent times.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

MattW said:

Why does that not surprise me? (As someone who lived happily in Newcastle for 10 years and would go back)
    Given the dormitory nature of where you lived on Teesside I can see why Rochdale wanted to escape. Literally the only part of Teesside that is loveable in is Darlington
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,039

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

I'd like to know what part the Dettol played.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,397
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

I'm not sure whether the vaccine pulled us through the pandemic or whether the moderation of Covid itself played a bigger role.
    Well the pandemic would have petered out eventually but its duration and the health and other costs would have been so much worse without a safe and effective vaccine.
  • Options

Advantages of May:

Advantages of Oct/Nov:

Without doubt the sensible choice for Sunak would be May; I doubt he will choose it.

In consequence, my left-leaning bias is rubbing its hands in glee at the prospect of an utter wipe-out of the Conservative Party in the autumn. There has to be as much chance of that as the Tories salvaging a hung-parliament or continued power.
    As the thread I linked to above says - staying beyond May has a risk that the Tory party will sack him and that’s way worse for Rishi’s ego than an earlier departure with July onwards in California
  • Options
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

MattW said:

Given the dormitory nature of where you lived on Teesside I can see why Rochdale wanted to escape. Literally the only part of Teesside that is loveable in is Darlington
    Darlo? 😂
  • Options

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

It was mainly the vaccines. See https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00281-023-00996-2 for a review.
    From the link:

"In summary, we understand the key issues that need to be addressed for pandemic preparedness from a scientific and technological point of view. Nevertheless, the outlook into the future is a negative one. Just about 3 years after the emergence of SARS-CoV-2, it seems politicians and governments have forgotten that the pandemic existed and very little is spent—e.g., in comparison to defense—on pandemic preparedness. This is despite the fact that enormous amounts of money were lost during the pandemic [134] and despite the fact that spending on pandemic preparedness could certainly be seen as defense spending. In addition, beliefs in conspiracy theories, denial, and anti-vax sentiments have spread far and wide, and may make it difficult to get “buy in” from the population once the next pandemic occurs. Unfortunately, this will likely be sooner than later. "
  • Options

Nigelb said:

RFK Jr's anti-vaccine scam.

One of the reasons the polio vaccine doesn’t work is because polio isn’t caused by an infectious virus. It’s caused by toxins. Poliovirus is a commensal virus that is completely harmless in the absence of toxic onslaught.
    https://twitter.com/ChildrensHD/status/1763738493933756779

The man is downright evil.

I'm not disputing your point about RFK, and I have no way of knowing whether there's any merit in the passage you've posted - or whether you're endorsing the passage or condemning it.

However, I would note that you've never used the phrase 'downright evil' about the scientists who released Covid into the world, killing 7 million people, or the authorities who authorised them to do so. There's a certain type of PBer who can't see an authority without wishing to be identified with it, nor an anti-authority figure without reflexively spitting bile at them.
    Polio is caused by the poliovirus. We’ve known this for over a century.

Scientists did not release COVID-19. It jumped into humans via a zoonotic event. All the evidence points to this.

RFKjr. is a loon. Anti-vax is a hugely damaging conspiracy theory. There’s currently a serious measles outbreak in the UK because of this nonsense.
    I don't think that you believe the second paragraph. That makes it not an error but a purposeful deception, and I see no point in continuing a discussion on those terms.

I know nothing about Polio as I mentioned.
    How have you acquired this magical ability to read my mind?

Quick test: what am I thinking now?

Yes, you're right! I am thinking, "Gosh, Luckyguy1983 has completely fallen down a conspiracy theory rabbit hole. What a nutter!"
    No, I think it is impossible for anybody of average intelligence or above to give the zoonotic theory the time of day, unless it's the only show in town. Given that it isn't, and given that there's vast piles of evidence supporting lab leak, one would only spout such a ridiculous pile of twaddle to uphold the reputation of 'the West' for the sake of 'PB morale' etc. I come here to discuss interesting topics with intelligent people, not to be patronised by ludicrous propaganda aimed at maintaining my 'morale'. Tell it to someone who gives a shit.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

MattW said:

People moan and whinge; it's a staple of people everywhere. You could let some people live in a gilded palace with an unlimited income and a score of servants, and after a few months they'd be complaining about it being too sunny outside.

IMV whilst things are slightly worse than they were a few years ago, they're not massively worse. What we've lost is optimism and confidence. We *can* do, and be, better. Hopefully the next government will change that.

Despite Starmer.
    in terms of my own personal development and financial security, I can honestly say that things have never been better. But of course, that's just my experience, and others' will be different,
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,527
    Of course there is also a theory that Rishi using his big setpiece statement outside Number 10 was unofficially firing the starting gun on a cynical and dirty May campaign where the Tories spend a lot of time trying to force Starmer into uncomfortable positions on Gaza and painting themselves as being on the side of law and order: It feels like an odd/uncomfortable topic to base a campaign around but it’s a dice roll?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,626
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Preparations for the night’s ayahuasca ceremony continue

There are some slightly famous people gathering here. They are not pictured

Looks a bit naff.
    That’s the pablo Escobar cocaine palace turned kiddies water park with “hippo theme”
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,882
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

MattW said:

My grandparents came to the UK in 1932 for a couple of years. They lived here into their late nineties, very happy with their choice.

That's how immigration happens. 2 years becomes 5, becomes 10, then 20. At that point home is no longer home. Both migrant and origin country have changed.
    I was very happy in the UK.
    Until Brexit and Covid.

I now pay tax to Uncle Sam. I wonder how many others are in my position.
  • Options

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

It was mainly the vaccines. See https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00281-023-00996-2 for a review.
    From what I've seen, Omicron, despite its blessed mildness in a pre-primed population (both natural and vaccinated immunity) is actually no milder than OME Covid
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,155

"EU fines Apple €1.8bn for breaking streaming rules"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68467752

Apple Music's total revenues are about €10bn/year so this is nigh on 20% of that which is quite punchy.

But Apple's argument that there is no evidence of consumer harm implies that the are wasting their time applying this restriction, so they clearly should have removed it when given the chance to do so, and everyone would be happy. Right? Right?
  • Options
    eek said:

Advantages of May:

Advantages of Oct/Nov:

As the thread I linked to above says - staying beyond May has a risk that the Tory party will sack him and that’s way worse for Rishi’s ego than an earlier departure with July onwards in California
    Now that is credible.
  • Options
    Any government doing this would be a disgrace. And yet it is a Tory government doing it

“NEW TODAY: The British Government has made a deliberate ideological decision to stop publishing data about welfare claimants and tax contributions by nationality *specifically* because they fear the data could be used to “skewer debate about immigration””

https://x.com/kunley_drukpa/status/1764644377450762415?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,079
  • Options
    edited March 4
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

From the link:

"In summary, we understand the key issues that need to be addressed for pandemic preparedness from a scientific and technological point of view. Nevertheless, the outlook into the future is a negative one. Just about 3 years after the emergence of SARS-CoV-2, it seems politicians and governments have forgotten that the pandemic existed and very little is spent—e.g., in comparison to defense—on pandemic preparedness. This is despite the fact that enormous amounts of money were lost during the pandemic [134] and despite the fact that spending on pandemic preparedness could certainly be seen as defense spending. In addition, beliefs in conspiracy theories, denial, and anti-vax sentiments have spread far and wide, and may make it difficult to get “buy in” from the population once the next pandemic occurs. Unfortunately, this will likely be sooner than later. "
    And look what I was reading last night:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/03/uk-government-halts-cash-covid-recovery-programme

'The move has dismayed senior scientists who say it is another worrying example of the UK’s life sciences sector being short-changed by government. “We knew Recovery had huge potential and that was realised in a very short period during Covid. But now that dream is being unrealised,” said Prof Peter Horby, one of the co-founders of Recovery.

And it is not just the value of Recovery that has been ignored as the pandemic has ended, added Horby. “Britain did some of the world’s best clinical trials, vaccine development, and genomics work, but a lot of that has just been thrown away or starved of investment. Yet we badly need to be alert to the dangers of future pandemics.”'
  • Options
    Quite witty from Paul Scully:

The standard deviation model is true in politics. Most people are in the middle. We can work with the bell curve or become the bell-ends. We need to make that decision. I fear the electorate already is!...

https://x.com/scullyp/status/1764618324476846373?s=20
  • Options
    Leon said:

Any government doing this would be a disgrace. And yet it is a Tory government doing it

“NEW TODAY: The British Government has made a deliberate ideological decision to stop publishing data about welfare claimants and tax contributions by nationality *specifically* because they fear the data could be used to “skewer debate about immigration””

https://x.com/kunley_drukpa/status/1764644377450762415?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Is that 'yet' ironic?
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,868
    kinabalu said:

Sunil is an amateur compared to this guy.

I spend £8,500 a year to live on a train

Uch. TRAINS. They’re a necessary evil in many of our lives. Horrible big tin cans full of smelly people that never turn up on time and make you late for everything. The less time spent on them the better. At least for most of us in the UK, anyway.

Not so for digital nomad Lasse Stolley. This German teenager can’t get enough of them. He’s not a trainspotter, though. He’s more of a trainsquatter.

Okay, ‘squatter’ isn’t really accurate. While the 17-year-old does indeed live on trains, he does so entirely legally. And with a surprising amount of comfort.

Lasse travels 600 miles a day throughout Germany aboard Deutsche Bahn trains. He travels first class, sleeps on night trains, has breakfast in DB lounges and takes showers in public swimming pools and leisure centres, all using his unlimited annual railcard.

https://metro.co.uk/2024/03/03/spend-8-500-a-year-live-a-train-20388001/

It would be a slightly different experience but I could do this for free across the whole TfL network utilizing my 60+ oyster.
    I remember a story a few years ago about Japanese people spending all night sleeping in chairs at internet cafes for about £1 an hour - cheaper than hotels.
  • Options

Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

It was obviously some time after I'd been vaccinated. I think it may have helped, but now it's time for my body to get on with it. Were I to continue, I think there would be diminishing returns.
  • Options
    This remote bit of Colombia - south of Medellin - is beautiful. Jungle, waterfalls, howler monkeys, occasional jaguars

For fifty years until 2017 no one could come here because of Escobar and the drug gangs, plus FARC militias and kidnap cartels

Now there are beautiful eco lodges

In some places, the world improves

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,644

NEW THREAD

• Options

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

What is we thought about it this way?:

1) Covid didn't moderate and is still with us and we are still getting vaccinated
    2) Covid did moderate (as it has) and there was NEVER any vaccines administered
  • Options
    The vaccine programme for this thread has been cancelled.
  • Options

eek said:

TOPPING said:

MattW said:

Darlo? 😂
    There is a typo - liveable, not loveable.

But as an example - my choice on Saturday was do I get bread from the Italian, French or the English bakery that won loaf of the year in 2023…

Oh and an airport that allows me to go anywhere in Europe for the weekend at 5pm on a Thursday / Friday night
  • Options
    Leon said:

This remote bit of Colombia - south of Medellin - is beautiful. Jungle, waterfalls, howler monkeys, occasional jaguars

For fifty years until 2017 no one could come here because of Escobar and the drug gangs, plus FARC militias and kidnap cartels

Which eco lodge is that?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,962
    Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

If you've had Covid, then it will have done a lot more shit to your immune system than any vaccine.
    And given your naval history, I seriously doubt it's all that pure anyway.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The idea of jetting halfway across the world to stay for a few days in an 'eco' lodge is hilariously ridiculous.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,962

Nigelb said:

One of the reasons the polio vaccine doesn’t work is because polio isn’t caused by an infectious virus. It’s caused by toxins. Poliovirus is a commensal virus that is completely harmless in the absence of toxic onslaught.

I'm not disputing your point about RFK, and I have no way of knowing whether there's any merit in the passage you've posted - or whether you're endorsing the passage or condemning it.

However, I would note that you've never used the phrase 'downright evil' about the scientists who released Covid into the world, killing 7 million people, or the authorities who authorised them to do so. There's a certain type of PBer who can't see an authority without wishing to be identified with it, nor an anti-authority figure without reflexively spitting bile at them.

Scientists did not release COVID-19. It jumped into humans via a zoonotic event. All the evidence points to this.

RFKjr. is a loon. Anti-vax is a hugely damaging conspiracy theory. There’s currently a serious measles outbreak in the UK because of this nonsense.
    I don't think that you believe the second paragraph. That makes it not an error but a purposeful deception, and I see no point in continuing a discussion on those terms.

Yes, you're right! I am thinking, "Gosh, Luckyguy1983 has completely fallen down a conspiracy theory rabbit hole. What a nutter!"
    I read your mind there.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,896

Nigelb said:

No, I think it is impossible for anybody of average intelligence or above to give the zoonotic theory the time of day, unless it's the only show in town. Given that it isn't, and given that there's vast piles of evidence supporting lab leak, one would only spout such a ridiculous pile of twaddle to uphold the reputation of 'the West' for the sake of 'PB morale' etc. I come here to discuss interesting topics with intelligent people, not to be patronised by ludicrous propaganda aimed at maintaining my 'morale'. Tell it to someone who gives a shit.
    The genetic evidence (the degree of genetic variation in early cases) is consistent with multiple infections from a pool of infected animals, but not with a lab leak. The early cases were clustered around the wet market, not around the lab, and environmental sampling found the virus (in the strains seen early in the pandemic) at the market. The priors are strongly for zoonosis, which accounts for most pandemics, rather than a lab leak (few examples of outbreaks; no examples of a novel virus being introduced to a population this way). The supposed evidence for a lab leak all fell apart: in particular, there is no evidence of any lab having SARS-CoV-2 or a plausible ancestor virus before the pandemic.

On the other hand, you are a known proponent of conspiracy theories, like on the supposed presence of bioweapon labs in Ukraine IIRC.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,156
    kinabalu said:

malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

TOPPING said:

However it does seem to be bad for a section of people and cause harm like most medicines , but that is rarely mentioned. Still a gamble either way.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,976
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

Which eco lodge is that?
    The one that took 15 hours on a plane to get to.
This discussion has been closed.