Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Beware the Bookie rules before betting on a GE2024 overall majority – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,601
    edited February 15

I know that Americans often have idle discussions about how they might split their country up, but do they ever have idle discussions about adding other countries as new States?

Just wondering whether the light-hearted interest in the UK joining the US is reciprocated?

They won't even admit part of their own country (Puerto Rico) as a state as it would alter the balance of Congress, let alone add other countries.
    Yes, but they at least talk about adding Puerto Rico as a State. And there are various more-or-less whimsical suggestions of dividing the country between red and blue states.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,996
    I very much doubt Labour will drop below 40% in Rochdale.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,139

isam said:

Chat GPT just helped me: Can you create for me five very woke names for railways?

ChatGPT
    Sure, here are five "woke" names for railways:

1. Unity Line
    2. Harmony Express
    3. Diversity Junction
    4. Inclusion Railway
    5. Equity Route

In Rainham, Essex there was a notorious council estate called The Mardyke, and when it was knocked down, the streets that replaced it had names like that
    There are plenty of people who think precisely like this.
    We have a couple of Harry Potter inspired street names near us, as our part of the town was built at the height of the books' popularity. Later sections are named after airplanes and manufacturers, as they're nearer the old Bourn airfield. Vickers way, York Road, Spitfire Road, Fairey Close, Blackbird Road etc.

Better names and themes than Khan's monstrosities...
    So you're only fairly close to Fairey Close ?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,221

The Northern Line? Separate them! Since the Battersea branch was added its already (mostly) operationally separate at that end. Run Battersea - Edgware as one line, and Morden to High Barnet as the other line. Expensive and complex junctions at Camden Town are largely left with the lines separate, interchanges at Camden sub-surface, done.

Battersea line for the western half, City line for the eastern half.

I believe that something along these lines is being planned, to allow for a more frequent and reliable service. Hopefully they can rename one of the branches the Franz Fanon Black Lives Matter Intersectional Feminism Line for maximum lolz.
  • Options

viewcode said:

PART THREE

...Now when the Johnson Administration in Britain came over to talk to Donald
    Trump's Administration about a trade deal and they found out what the
    conditions would be they walked away. And then the next government came in and did the same thing and walked away (or was it Teresa May?). Anyway there were two back-to-back and so the Brits right now are in this nether world where they kind of quietly admit to themselves that, in order to find a future that has some degree of economic functionality, they have to get into bed with their kids and accept all the demands and the hit to their economy will be real and the hit
    to their ego will be massive...

...But the alternatives (trying to build an alternate system or maybe going back to the EU) neither of those are long-term solutions that are very functional, so really what we're doing is going through the paces until the Brits admit the obvious, and when that happens Britain will lose the thing that it values the most: its freedom to act, its agency. It will become a subsidiary of the American system for Better or For Worse and while that will be horrible for the British mindset it is the best game in town from both an economic and a security point of view and in time I have no doubt that that is where the Brits will end up, so stiff upper lip...

I'm not sure I share all this guy's analysis, but I do share his conclusion. The only real alternative to the UK being part of the EU is being much more closely aligned with the US, perhaps even as the 51st or 51st-53rd states.
    And that’s why the right pushed so hard for Brexit, and told their fantastical lies to make it happen. They would rather have a small state, low tax, highly unequal UK, with a crumbling public realm and services, rather than EU-style worker protections, environmental protections, etc, etc, etc.

So they whipped up an immigration panic and promised unicorns for all to get just enough people to shoot themselves in the foot.
    The idea that EU regulation resulted in higher consumer prices - a shibboleth of Euroscepticism since the early 90s - turned out to be total junk as well.

Witness food prices.
    And yet we still get squealing and whining that farmers may face competition from the likes of Australia and New Zealand.

You can't have it both ways.

Why isn't affordable Aussie and Kiwi good enough for us without any tariffs?
    The net impact so far is that prices are up (even net of the broader inflation issues), and choice is down.
    It’s possible, though I defer to Nick Palmer, that welfare standards are expected to decline too.
    I'd like to see any evidence whatsoever that prices are up in the UK compared to other countries net of broader inflation issues. Or that choice is down similarly.

Food inflation has been seen across the globe, so I'm sceptical.

There's nothing wrong with animal welfare in New Zealand etc, I'd be quite delighted to see non-tariff barriers that are falsely portrayed as "welfare" issues to be abolished.
    First of many results on Google.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/brexit-blame-third-britains-food-bill-rise-researchers-say-2023-05-25/
    Counter-example: https://www.euronews.com/business/2023/11/21/real-food-inflation-in-europe-which-countries-are-hit-the-hardest

The UK has lower real food inflation than the Euro Area.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,105
    edited February 15

isam said:

Chat GPT just helped me: Can you create for me five very woke names for railways?

ChatGPT

1. Unity Line
    2. Harmony Express
    3. Diversity Junction
    4. Inclusion Railway
    5. Equity Route

In Rainham, Essex there was a notorious council estate called The Mardyke, and when it was knocked down, the streets that replaced it had names like that
    We have a couple of Harry Potter inspired street names near us, as our part of the town was built at the height of the books' popularity. Later sections are named after airplanes and manufacturers, as they're nearer the old Bourn airfield. Vickers way, York Road, Spitfire Road, Fairey Close, Blackbird Road etc.

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

kyf_100 said:

FPT point of order it's the Lioness line not the Lionesses line.

Which is slightly (but not much) better.

Unless you're trying to pronounce it after a skinful. Come to think of it "I'm just jumping on a Suffragette" is probably going to get some traction amongst the lairy friday night out crowd.

All in all the names have a vague "if Dave Spart ran a competition for the under 8s to name the lines, then miraculously picked the worst names out of a hat" feel to them.
    The London plan comes across as typical Sadiq being Sadiq, and looking for the sort of names that will offend people who don’t like him, further cementing societal division.

If you’re going to give out random names then auction them off. Loads of cities, including mine, do this, the big money is for the destination and interchange stations, or companies buying the station nearest their own business.
    I don’t think Khan goes out of his way to cause division.
    I just think he’s a bit of a twit. His instincts are just off. Kind of a leftist Sunak.
    Perhaps, but, as someone who does disgreee with him on almost everything, it comes across as needlessly antagonistic. There’s plenty of London history that can be seen as positive for the city, rather than dwelling on negative history.
    The names are naff, but which are negative? They're all positive.
    What really annoys me is the changing of old names to sanitise them. There's such stuff as Titmouse and Gropecunt Lanes in Oxford, which I suppose needed i t, but the incomers mocing to Trotter Haugh in Edinburgh whined about it some years back. Yet Trotter wass an important local l andowner and a haugh a flat riverside piece of land. They wanted it changed but the street name is still there. Ignoran t folk - all they could think about was Del Boy & co.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,704

The new Tube map.

They need to sort out the Northern lines next – five lines masquerading as one, for reasons unknown.

https://content.tfl.gov.uk/tube-map-with-the-new-lo-names.pdf

Reasons are pretty well known for that one. If you want to properly split the Northern Line, it needs to be easy for lots of people to change trains at Camden Town. That's expensive, and commercial development atop the site has been Nimbied out.

Full story here:

https://www.londonreconnections.com/2013/we-need-to-talk-about-camden/
    Would you have to change the rules of Mornington Crescent?
  • Options

Still trying to come to terms with the sad news about Mike.

My first post was on the first anniversary of the Site's formation. It has been a big part of my life ever since. For a decade or so it helped keep me solvent and it has always been a great source of fun and enlightenment. Over the years I got to know Mike well enough to make me wonder now whether it might be time for me to take my coat. To stay feels a bit like lingering at a party after the host has had to retire to bed unwell. He wouldn't mind, I'm sure, but somehow it doesn't feel right to keep posting away while OGH and My Good Friend is incapacitated.

I'll think it over but you'll understand if I go a bit quiet. If any of you have views on the matter that you'd like to share privately, you know where to find me.

Atb.

PtP

Stay, it gives Mike great joy that the site is still vibrant as we approach PB’s 20th birthday next month and 2024 is going to be the best year for political betting with potentially a presidential election and Uk general election within days of each other.
    Although I can't remember what it stands for, he will always be OGH.
  • Options
    edited February 15
    Nigelb said:

My first post was on the first anniversary of the Site's formation. It has been a big part of my life ever since. For a decade or so it helped keep me solvent and it has always been a great source of fun and enlightenment. Over the years I got to know Mike well enough to make me wonder now whether it might be time for me to take my coat. To stay feels a bit like lingering at a party after the host has had to retire to bed unwell. He wouldn't mind, I'm sure, but somehow it doesn't feel right to keep posting away while OGH and My Good Friend is incapacitated.

I'll think it over but you'll understand if I go a bit quiet. If any of you have views on the matter that you'd like to share privately, you know where to find me.

Atb.

PtP

Stay, it gives Mike great joy that the site is still vibrant as we approach PB’s 20th birthday next month and 2024 is going to be the best year for political betting with potentially a presidential election and Uk general election within days of each other.
    [deleted as corrected by LP]
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,170

viewcode said:

PART THREE

conditions would be they walked away. And then the next government came in and did the same thing and walked away (or was it Teresa May?). Anyway there were two back-to-back and so the Brits right now are in this nether world where they kind of quietly admit to themselves that, in order to find a future that has some degree of economic functionality, they have to get into bed with their kids and accept all the demands and the hit to their economy will be real and the hit

...But the alternatives (trying to build an alternate system or maybe going back to the EU) neither of those are long-term solutions that are very functional, so really what we're doing is going through the paces until the Brits admit the obvious, and when that happens Britain will lose the thing that it values the most: its freedom to act, its agency. It will become a subsidiary of the American system for Better or For Worse and while that will be horrible for the British mindset it is the best game in town from both an economic and a security point of view and in time I have no doubt that that is where the Brits will end up, so stiff upper lip...

I'm not sure I share all this guy's analysis, but I do share his conclusion. The only real alternative to the UK being part of the EU is being much more closely aligned with the US, perhaps even as the 51st or 51st-53rd states.
    And that’s why the right pushed so hard for Brexit, and told their fantastical lies to make it happen. They would rather have a small state, low tax, highly unequal UK, with a crumbling public realm and services, rather than EU-style worker protections, environmental protections, etc, etc, etc.

So they whipped up an immigration panic and promised unicorns for all to get just enough people to shoot themselves in the foot.
    The idea that EU regulation resulted in higher consumer prices - a shibboleth of Euroscepticism since the early 90s - turned out to be total junk as well.

Witness food prices.
    And yet we still get squealing and whining that farmers may face competition from the likes of Australia and New Zealand.

The net impact so far is that prices are up (even net of the broader inflation issues), and choice is down.
    It’s possible, though I defer to Nick Palmer, that welfare standards are expected to decline too.
    I'd like to see any evidence whatsoever that prices are up in the UK compared to other countries net of broader inflation issues. Or that choice is down similarly.

There's nothing wrong with animal welfare in New Zealand etc, I'd be quite delighted to see non-tariff barriers that are falsely portrayed as "welfare" issues to be abolished.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/brexit-blame-third-britains-food-bill-rise-researchers-say-2023-05-25/
    Counter-example: https://www.euronews.com/business/2023/11/21/real-food-inflation-in-europe-which-countries-are-hit-the-hardest

Um: stupid question: what's real inflation?

I know what prices are. Shoes used to cost £X
    I know what inflated prices are. Shoes now cost £2X
    I know what real prices are. Shoes in real terms cost £2X/(1+inflation rate)
    But I don't know what real inflation is.
    Can you give me an example?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

kyf_100 said:

Unless you're trying to pronounce it after a skinful. Come to think of it "I'm just jumping on a Suffragette" is probably going to get some traction amongst the lairy friday night out crowd.

All in all the names have a vague "if Dave Spart ran a competition for the under 8s to name the lines, then miraculously picked the worst names out of a hat" feel to them.
    The London plan comes across as typical Sadiq being Sadiq, and looking for the sort of names that will offend people who don’t like him, further cementing societal division.

If you’re going to give out random names then auction them off. Loads of cities, including mine, do this, the big money is for the destination and interchange stations, or companies buying the station nearest their own business.
    I just think he’s a bit of a twit. His instincts are just off. Kind of a leftist Sunak.
    His delivery record is good:

• Night Tube
    • Crossrail
    • Ulez
    • Ulez-X

But, his railway-naming skills leave a lot to be desired.
    His contribution to the delivery of Crossrail is that he just happened to be in office when Crossrail opened.
    That was Boris's contribution to the Boris bikes.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    edited February 15

Atb.

PtP

Obviously it's a personal decision for you, but I'm sure Mike would prefer it if you stayed.

I'm sure Mike will be taking much comfort in the coming days, weeks, months and years, knowing that his personal creation and the community he built up continues to thrive.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best!
  • Options

I know that Americans often have idle discussions about how they might split their country up, but do they ever have idle discussions about adding other countries as new States?

Just wondering whether the light-hearted interest in the UK joining the US is reciprocated?

They won't even admit part of their own country (Puerto Rico) as a state as it would alter the balance of Congress, let alone add other countries.
    Yes, but they at least talk about adding Puerto Rico as a State. And there are various more-or-less whimsical suggestions of dividing the country between red and blue states.
    Um, given Trumps plan to send Red State National Guard into Blue States to flush out the migrants and deport them, I wouldn't be too sure about the "whimsical" bit.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,552

I think they will drop below 40%, because there are so many other plausible candidates.
    But I think they will win comfortably. A combination of people who have already voted, people who agree with Azhar Ali, people who don't care, and people who have paid the whole kerfuffle little attention.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

isam said:

ChatGPT

1. Unity Line
    2. Harmony Express
    3. Diversity Junction
    4. Inclusion Railway
    5. Equity Route

And it should be Blackburd anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn_Blackburd
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Atb.

PtP

Our GRacious Host.
    Our Genial Host.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

PART THREE

Witness food prices.

Also - very hard to measure UK food inflation, given the concealed but pervasive reduction of quantity and/or quality.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,510
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Atb.

PtP

Our GRacious Host.
    Always assume Genial, a bit like Genial Harry Grout in Poridge.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Atb.

PtP

Our GRacious Host.
    Our Genial Host.
    Ah, thanks! Even better.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

isam said:

ChatGPT

1. Unity Line
    2. Harmony Express
    3. Diversity Junction
    4. Inclusion Railway
    5. Equity Route

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

kyf_100 said:

Perhaps, but, as someone who does disgreee with him on almost everything, it comes across as needlessly antagonistic. There’s plenty of London history that can be seen as positive for the city, rather than dwelling on negative history.
    What really annoys me is the changing of old names to sanitise them. There's such stuff as Titmouse and Gropecunt Lanes in Oxford, which I suppose needed i t, but the incomers mocing to Trotter Haugh in Edinburgh whined about it some years back. Yet Trotter wass an important local l andowner and a haugh a flat riverside piece of land. They wanted it changed but the street name is still there. Ignoran t folk - all they could think about was Del Boy & co.
    Sorry mods - please censor the text. Completely overlooked it in a compound word. Apologies.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

kyf_100 said:

What's negative about the new names? Unless yhou think votes for women are bad, and you can't possibly mean that. Liberty is nice and historical, so are some of the others.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited February 15
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

PART THREE

Witness food prices.

The real inflation that X as opposed to Y now costs more than it would have in real currency.

A prime example would be houses. House price inflation has outstripped inflation for decades, so houses now cost more in real terms than they would.

While a counter-example of real deflation is often technology goods. If you would spend £1000 in 2000 on a computer, but could get one for about £300 today, in real terms that's declined in cost by much more than 70% because £1000 in 2000 money is more than £1000 today.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

I think they will drop below 40%, because there are so many other plausible candidates.
    But I think they will win comfortably. A combination of people who have already voted, people who agree with Azhar Ali, people who don't care, and people who have paid the whole kerfuffle little attention.
    Labour above or below 40% in Rochdale: I say above, you say below, loser donates £5 to Alzheimer's Research UK?
  • Options
    Taz said:

I'd propose

• The Hartnell Line
    • The Cushing Line
    • The Troughton Line
    • The Pertwee Line
    • The Baker Line
    • The Davison Line
    Shouldn't that be
    • The Hartnell Line
    • The Troughton Line
    • The Pertwee Line
    • The Baker Line
    • The Davison Line
    • The McCoy Line
  • Options

The window between Starmer gaining an overall majority and Starmer gaining an effective majority is only the SF and/or SDLP MPs. It is unlikely to come into play but far from impossible. I suspect it is at the very limit of Con possibilities but it is worth keeping in mind

The possibilities are fascinating, and if the polls narrow (they will) it will be endless discussion.

To be simplistic and over simplify, per impossibile, Labour gain only 45 seats, all at the expense of the Tories, and LD gain 10, ditto. Labour then have only 247 seats, 79 short of a mathematical/bookies majority but Tories have 310 (16 short). The Tories, SFAICS, cannot form a government; Labour (with rainbow) can and will.
  • Options

As it's not the Underground but it is the Overground...

Great Uncle Bulgaria Line
    Tobermory Line
    Tomsk Line
    Orinoco Line
    Wellington Line
    Madam Cholet Line

Anyone who wants to study the movement of large numbers of people could then examine the Orinoco flow.
    Chapeau @BartholomewRoberts
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    Labour will win Rochdale.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,001

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

PART THREE

Witness food prices.

The real inflation that X as opposed to Y else now costs more than it would have in real currency.

A prime example would be houses. House price inflation has outstripped inflation for decades, so houses now cost more in real terms than they would.

While a counter-example of real deflation is often technology goods. If you would spend £1000 in 2000 on a computer, but could get one for about £300 today, in real terms that's declined in cost by much more than 70% because £1000 in 2000 money is more than £1000 today.
    Indeed. And we're all told inflation has been low for the past two decades, because the price of flatscreen tellys and fast fashion has cratered. Meanwhile, the cost of keeping a roof over your head has skyrocketed to the point where absolutely nobody feels any richer despite every home having a massive flatscreen telly. See also: energy prices, childcare prices, almost all the basics you actually need to live a half decent life, etc.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

PART THREE

Witness food prices.

The real inflation that X as opposed to Y else now costs more than it would have in real currency.

Indeed. And we're all told inflation has been low for the past two decades, because the price of flatscreen tellys and fast fashion has cratered. Meanwhile, the cost of keeping a roof over your head has skyrocketed to the point where absolutely nobody feels any richer despite every home having a massive flatscreen telly. See also: energy prices, childcare prices, almost all the basics you actually need to live a half decent life, etc.
    Olive oil.
  • Options
    edited February 15
    algarkirk said:

The window between Starmer gaining an overall majority and Starmer gaining an effective majority is only the SF and/or SDLP MPs. It is unlikely to come into play but far from impossible. I suspect it is at the very limit of Con possibilities but it is worth keeping in mind

The possibilities are fascinating, and if the polls narrow (they will) it will be endless discussion.

To be simplistic and over simplify, per impossibile, Labour gain only 45 seats, all at the expense of the Tories, and LD gain 10, ditto. Labour then have only 247 seats, 79 short of a mathematical/bookies majority but Tories have 310 (16 short). The Tories, SFAICS, cannot form a government; Labour (with rainbow) can and will.
    I would doubt that a rainbow coalition would be formed. I'd expect the Tories to continue as a weak minority government for a while before calling another election on the basis that Labour couldn't form a government and the voters should give the Tories a majority.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

PART THREE

Witness food prices.

Its turned a divide into a chasm between the real experiences of those who have to pay for the roof over their head, and those who don't.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,395
    Nigelb said:

isam said:

ChatGPT

1. Unity Line
    2. Harmony Express
    3. Diversity Junction
    4. Inclusion Railway
    5. Equity Route

A battle to get to it though.
  • Options
    AbandonedHopeAbandonedHope Posts: 87
    edited February 15
    mwadams said:

Tobermory Line
    Tomsk Line
    Orinoco Line
    Wellington Line
    Madam Cholet Line

Anyone who wants to study the movement of large numbers of people could then examine the Orinoco flow.
    Have we done

Pugh
    Pugh
    Barney McGrew
    Cuthbert
    Dibble
    Grubb

I rather like naming 2 of them the same. It is in keeping with the generally baffling routing.
    I did think about other cultural icons and the Trumpton Firemen were the first to come to mind. I also considered:

Clangers Line
    Bagpuss Line
    Magic Roundabout Line
    Andy Pandy Line
    Flowerpot Men Line
    Muffin the Mule Line
  • Options
    MPartridgeMPartridge Posts: 157
    It really does baffle me, that people think that anything but a comfortable Labour Majority is possible at this point.

I say this as a Tory who would love Sunak to pull something out the bag, but if you offered me 200 Tory seats at the next election I'd bite your hand off.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Taz said:

I'd propose

• The Hartnell Line
    • The Cushing Line
    • The Troughton Line
    • The Pertwee Line
    • The Baker Line
    • The Davison Line
    Shouldn't that be
    • The Hartnell Line
    • The Troughton Line
    • The Pertwee Line
    • The Baker Line
    • The Davison Line
    • The McCoy Line
    Or now:
    The Eccleston line
    The Tenant line
    The Smith line
    The Whittaker line
    The Tenant line
    The Gatwa Line
  • Options

mwadams said:

Tobermory Line
    Tomsk Line
    Orinoco Line
    Wellington Line
    Madam Cholet Line

Have we done

Pugh
    Pugh
    Barney McGrew
    Cuthbert
    Dibble
    Grubb

I rather like naming 2 of them the same. It is in keeping with the generally baffling routing.
    I did think about other cultural icons and the Trumpton Firemen were the first to come to mind. I also considered:

Clangers Line
    Bagpuss Line
    Magic Roundabout Line
    Andy Pandy Line
    Flowerpot Men Line
    Ivor the Train Line.
  • Options
    edited February 15

Nigelb said:

isam said:

ChatGPT

1. Unity Line
    2. Harmony Express
    3. Diversity Junction
    4. Inclusion Railway
    5. Equity Route

Now that's an aircraft not much better than the AI ones.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

PART THREE

Witness food prices.

Olive oil.
    Grated parmesan
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 659
    Surely the generation-spanning choices should be:

Buffy Line
    Xander Line
    Willow Line
    Cordelia Line
    Giles Line
    (Cant have the Angel Line, so) Spike Line
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Taz said:

I'd propose

• The Hartnell Line
    • The Cushing Line
    • The Troughton Line
    • The Pertwee Line
    • The Baker Line
    • The Davison Line
    Shouldn't that be
    • The Hartnell Line
    • The Troughton Line
    • The Pertwee Line
    • The Baker Line
    • The Davison Line
    • The McCoy Line
    It kinda depends on whether its actors playing the Doctor/Doctor Who, or just those playing him on TV, as the two films with Cushing predated Troughton.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135

algarkirk said:

I would doubt that a rainbow coalition would be formed. I'd expect the Tories to continue as a weak minority government for a while before calling another election on the basis that Labour couldn't form a government and the voters should give the Tories a majority.
    That only just worked when Harold Wilson tried it in 1974, and before long he needed the support of David Steel and the Liberals.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,395
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

isam said:

ChatGPT

1. Unity Line
    2. Harmony Express
    3. Diversity Junction
    4. Inclusion Railway
    5. Equity Route

Now that's an aircraft not much better than the AI ones.
    Obligatory reminder that a fantastic engine (the Merlin) does not necessarily make a fantastic aircraft.
  • Options
    edited February 15

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

PART THREE

Witness food prices.

Olive oil.
    Grated parmesan
    The way things are going in Spain, fresh tomatoes and red peppers.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/feb/15/spain-water-barcelona-farmers-tourism-catalonia-drought
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,811
    a
    Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

Tobermory Line
    Tomsk Line
    Orinoco Line
    Wellington Line
    Madam Cholet Line

Have we done

Pugh
    Pugh
    Barney McGrew
    Cuthbert
    Dibble
    Grubb

Clangers Line
    Bagpuss Line
    Magic Roundabout Line
    Andy Pandy Line
    Flowerpot Men Line
    Ivor the Train Line.
    Thomas Line
    Gordon Line
    James Line
    :
    :
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,222
    Carnyx said:

isam said:

ChatGPT

1. Unity Line
    2. Harmony Express
    3. Diversity Junction
    4. Inclusion Railway
    5. Equity Route

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

kyf_100 said:

I totally agree. Being from Derby, I think our nearest neighbour should still be called 'Snottingham' ...
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,566

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

PART THREE

Witness food prices.

Olive oil.
    Grated parmesan
    How about ungrated parmesan? Has inflation been for the grater good?
  • Options

a

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

Tobermory Line
    Tomsk Line
    Orinoco Line
    Wellington Line
    Madam Cholet Line

Have we done

Pugh
    Pugh
    Barney McGrew
    Cuthbert
    Dibble
    Grubb

Clangers Line
    Bagpuss Line
    Magic Roundabout Line
    Andy Pandy Line
    Flowerpot Men Line
    Ivor the Train Line.
    Thomas Line
    Gordon Line
    James Line
    :
    :
    What! No Mavis, Annie or Clarabel?!
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited February 15

Buffy Line
    Xander Line
    Willow Line
    Cordelia Line
    Giles Line

We have a winner.

Since there's six lines you could also go for:

Ross Line
    Rachel Line
    Chandler Line
    Monica Line
    Joey Line
    Phoebe Line
  • Options

Buffy Line
    Xander Line
    Willow Line
    Cordelia Line
    Giles Line

Coke Line
    County Line
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,880
    isam said:

kyf_100 said:

They are all pretty naff, aren't they?

I would have gone for geographical names, so the Forest line for the Chingford branch (which ends at Epping Forest), the Thames line for the Richmond branch and so on...
    I agree, they are much better
    What about the Nimby Line running towards the North West?
  • Options

Buffy Line
    Xander Line
    Willow Line
    Cordelia Line
    Giles Line

Or just plain Lines for the City/Canary Wharf.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,566
    Carnyx said:

isam said:

ChatGPT

1. Unity Line
    2. Harmony Express
    3. Diversity Junction
    4. Inclusion Railway
    5. Equity Route

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

kyf_100 said:

There's a Cut Throat Lane in (I believe) OKC's neck of the woods. Although a local historian claims that's a corruption of Cut Athwart Lane. In which case the reverse of sanitation seems to have happened over time.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

a

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

Tobermory Line
    Tomsk Line
    Orinoco Line
    Wellington Line
    Madam Cholet Line

Have we done

Pugh
    Pugh
    Barney McGrew
    Cuthbert
    Dibble
    Grubb

Clangers Line
    Bagpuss Line
    Magic Roundabout Line
    Andy Pandy Line
    Flowerpot Men Line
    Ivor the Train Line.
    Thomas Line
    Gordon Line
    James Line
    :
    :
    As long as we don't have a Henry Line.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

a

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

Tobermory Line
    Tomsk Line
    Orinoco Line
    Wellington Line
    Madam Cholet Line

Have we done

Pugh
    Pugh
    Barney McGrew
    Cuthbert
    Dibble
    Grubb

Clangers Line
    Bagpuss Line
    Magic Roundabout Line
    Andy Pandy Line
    Flowerpot Men Line
    Ivor the Train Line.
    Thomas Line
    Gordon Line
    James Line
    :
    :
    Eh?
  • Options

viewcode said:

Taz said:

I'd propose

• The Hartnell Line
    • The Cushing Line
    • The Troughton Line
    • The Pertwee Line
    • The Baker Line
    • The Davison Line
    Shouldn't that be
    • The Hartnell Line
    • The Troughton Line
    • The Pertwee Line
    • The Baker Line
    • The Davison Line
    • The McCoy Line
    Or now:
    The Eccleston line
    The Tenant line
    The Smith line
    The Whittaker line
    The Tenant line
    The Gatwa Line
    Peter Capaldi retconned already? Harsh.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,286

Clangers Line
    Bagpuss Line
    Magic Roundabout Line
    Andy Pandy Line
    Flowerpot Men Line
    Muffin the Mule Line

The Clangers are busy

@mitchprothero

If you’ve ever built or detonated a space nuke, I’d love to talk about it for a @VICENews story that I’m apparently working on. My DMs are as open as my mind.

@petersbeaumont1

I’m working on a defensive space drone that is code named Clanger.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    On Canvey Island many of the older roads have Dutch names in tribute to the original drainers and reclaimers of the land, and builders of the first sea-wall.
    Thus Haarlem Rd., Van Diemanns Pass, Syderveldt Road, and many more.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,286
    Parody Rishi Sunak
    @Parody_PM

Please stop calling it a Rishession - it's not big and it's not clever.
    Bit like me really.
    #Rishession
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,924
    83% of Labour voters think that Israel should stop the war and call an immediate ceasefire.

✅ Call a ceasefire: 83% (+6)
    ❌ Continue the war: 3% (-4)

Despite this, Labour opposes a ceasefire.

Via
    @YouGov
    , 12-13 Feb (+/- vs 16 Nov)
  • Options

Cookie said:

Labour above or below 40% in Rochdale: I say above, you say below, loser donates £5 to Alzheimer's Research UK?
    You're on!
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,832
    Carnyx said:

a

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

Tobermory Line
    Tomsk Line
    Orinoco Line
    Wellington Line
    Madam Cholet Line

Have we done

Pugh
    Pugh
    Barney McGrew
    Cuthbert
    Dibble
    Grubb

Clangers Line
    Bagpuss Line
    Magic Roundabout Line
    Andy Pandy Line
    Flowerpot Men Line
    Ivor the Train Line.
    Thomas Line
    Gordon Line
    James Line
    :
    :
    I quite like the Wombles suggestion. Sadiq's choices are absolutely appalling. I could just about stomach Windrush and Liberty, although they seem daft, but the others are hopeless.

Khan is going to regret this!

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

a

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

Tobermory Line
    Tomsk Line
    Orinoco Line
    Wellington Line
    Madam Cholet Line

Have we done

Pugh
    Pugh
    Barney McGrew
    Cuthbert
    Dibble
    Grubb

Clangers Line
    Bagpuss Line
    Magic Roundabout Line
    Andy Pandy Line
    Flowerpot Men Line
    Ivor the Train Line.
    Thomas Line
    Gordon Line
    James Line
    :
    :
    Eh?
    He was bricked up in a tunnel for always and always and always. Which is a harsh response to the new Minimum Service Level laws.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

a

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

Tobermory Line
    Tomsk Line
    Orinoco Line
    Wellington Line
    Madam Cholet Line

Have we done

Pugh
    Pugh
    Barney McGrew
    Cuthbert
    Dibble
    Grubb

Clangers Line
    Bagpuss Line
    Magic Roundabout Line
    Andy Pandy Line
    Flowerpot Men Line
    Ivor the Train Line.
    Thomas Line
    Gordon Line
    James Line
    :
    :
    Eh?
    He was bricked up in a tunnel for always and always and always. Which is a harsh response to the new Minimum Service Level laws.
    Ah, thanks!
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

a

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

Tobermory Line
    Tomsk Line
    Orinoco Line
    Wellington Line
    Madam Cholet Line

Have we done

Pugh
    Pugh
    Barney McGrew
    Cuthbert
    Dibble
    Grubb

Clangers Line
    Bagpuss Line
    Magic Roundabout Line
    Andy Pandy Line
    Flowerpot Men Line
    Ivor the Train Line.
    Thomas Line
    Gordon Line
    James Line
    :
    :
    I quite like the Wombles suggestion. Sadiq's choices are absolutely appalling. I could just about stomach Windrush and Liberty, although they seem daft, but the others are hopeless.

I'm not sure Khan has the degree of self-reflection necessary to regret anything.

I agree though. The Wombles suggestion would have been perfect. And the current choices are ridiculous.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

You're on!
    @Cookie Great. I will go away and look down the sofa in case I need it...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Parody Rishi Sunak
    @Parody_PM

Please stop calling it a Rishession - it's not big and it's not clever.
    Bit like me really.
    #Rishession

Not that funny, and not really fair. He is clever, but completely lacks the ability to do politics.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

PART THREE

Witness food prices.

Olive oil.
    Grated parmesan
    Life is too short to grate your own parmesan
  • Options

83% of Labour voters think that Israel should stop the war and call an immediate ceasefire.

Via
    @YouGov

Oddly, SFAICS, this survey asks whether Israel should call a ceasefire but not whether Hamas should.

BTW 15% of 18-24 think the massacre of 1000 men women and children by Hamas in October was 'justified'.
  • Options
    The trials of Trump.
    Only the best lawyers...

Blanche: "We strenuously object to what's happened in this courtroom... it shouldn't happen in this country."

Judge: "What's your legal argument at this point?"

Blanche: "That *is* my legal argument."

Judge: "That isn't a legal argument. I'll see you March 25."

And... scene.

https://twitter.com/Jose_Pagliery/status/1758161786459640153
  • Options

Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

PART THREE

Witness food prices.

Olive oil.
    Grated parmesan
    That's like saying life is too short to not use instant coffee.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,233
    algarkirk said:

Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

PART THREE

Witness food prices.

Olive oil.
    Grated parmesan
    Many of the gastroidiots on here think that.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Via
    @YouGov

Oddly, SFAICS, this survey asks whether Israel should call a ceasefire but not whether Hamas should.

BTW 15% of 18-24 think the massacre of 1000 men women and children by Hamas in October was 'justified'.
    Someone sent me a link to a video a few days ago which characterised the October massacre as "fighting back", which I thought was a fairly sanitised description of a pogrom.

It's by this use of language that such opinions are formed.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,739
    edited February 15

algarkirk said:

Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

PART THREE

Witness food prices.

Olive oil.
    Grated parmesan
    I've recently bought some rather nice coffee mugs from Loveramics.

Sizes: flat white, cappuccino and latte.

I have an excellent espresso machine - wouldn't touch instant now.

I've acquired a taste for oat milk in coffee (50/50 with cows').
  • Options
    Stocky said:

algarkirk said:

Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

PART THREE

Witness food prices.

Olive oil.
    Grated parmesan

Irrational pet hate - oat milk. Milk comes from mammals. Oat milk is not a milk, its a massively processed grain.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,090
    edited February 15
    The rebranding of the London Overground is reported to have cost £6.3m. Is this true? If so it seems ludicrous really. Same goes for any Tory rebranding that costs a lot of public money, before we get too deep into whataboutery. Governments and councils always plead poverty, but find the money for stuff that no one really cares about
  • Options

Stocky said:

algarkirk said:

Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

PART THREE

Witness food prices.

Olive oil.
    Grated parmesan

Irrational pet hate - oat milk. Milk comes from mammals. Oat milk is not a milk, its a massively processed grain.
    Sure, but you should try it regardless. You might be surprised.

Jord is the best widely-available one I think. Though we have a local supplier which produces a sublime product.

I'm not pushing it for green reasons - it's the taste.
  • Options
    isam said:

The rebranding of the London Overground is reported to have cost £6.3m. Is this true? If so it seems ludicrous really.

Depends if it's part of a periodic cycle, though. And the system is so complex now that some similar naming is pretty much necessary - colour alone won't do, increasingly (even if one isn't colour blind).
  • Options

Stocky said:

algarkirk said:

Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

PART THREE

Witness food prices.

Olive oil.
    Grated parmesan

Oat puree?
    Oat velouté?
    Oat juice?

What do you think about milk of magnesia?
  • Options

Stocky said:

algarkirk said:

Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

PART THREE

Witness food prices.

Olive oil.
    Grated parmesan

Is it that processed? A little rapeseed oil and a few fairly useful minerals and vitamins.
  • Options

FPT - Malmsbury's suggestion is an excellent one. Dementia research gets a fraction of the money that cancer research does and can potentially offer greater benefit (as many cancers already have good survival rates now)

I'm not a scientist, but this is the big UK charity:
    https://www.alzheimersresearchuk.org

Actually Alzheimer's has seen quite a big increase in research in the last few years, since the first (albeit only marginally effective) therapies were approved.

There's a US list of some of the clinical trials here:
    https://www.nia.nih.gov/research/ongoing-AD-trials

A further note - Alzheimer's is far from the only cause of dementia, but the Alzheimer's charity funds other research, too.

As noted here, for example:
    https://ukdri.ac.uk/about-us/to-donate
    If you would like to donate to the UK Dementia Research Institute, please do so via our charity partners: Alzheimer’s Society (0330 333 0804) and Alzheimer’s Research UK (0300 111 5555).

When making a gift, please let the charities know that you would like your donation to be used for the UK Dementia Research Institute, and they will ensure that it is directed appropriately. Please note that both charities don't only focus on Alzheimer's disease, but fund research across the breadth of diseases that cause dementia.
  • Options
    Is 2.5 (bf) on Lab in Rochdale a good price? I was expecting odds-on.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024

Stocky said:

algarkirk said:

Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

PART THREE

Witness food prices.

Olive oil.
    Grated parmesan

In many countries “milk” is a protected term, and there’s been lots of arguments about it. Same with “meat”.
  • Options
    isam said:

The rebranding of the London Overground is reported to have cost £6.3m. Is this true? If so it seems ludicrous really. Same goes for any Tory rebranding that costs a lot of public money, before we get too deep into whataboutery. Governments and councils always plead poverty, but find the money for stuff that no one the current leader looking for their legacy really cares about

FTFY :D
  • Options
    isam said:

The rebranding of the London Overground is reported to have cost £6.3m. Is this true? If so it seems ludicrous really. Same goes for any Tory rebranding that costs a lot of public money, before we get too deep into whataboutery. Governments and councils always plead poverty, but find the money for stuff that no one really cares about

There are a lot of signs that will need changing.

Leaving side the specific names chosen, having distinct identities for the separate lines should make using the network easier, so it's probably worth the expense.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,157
    edited February 15
    Only just seen the previous thread. Best wishes to OGH and family.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,222

On Canvey Island many of the older roads have Dutch names in tribute to the original drainers and reclaimers of the land, and builders of the first sea-wall.
    Thus Haarlem Rd., Van Diemanns Pass, Syderveldt Road, and many more.

Around here, there are various names around 'Adventurers', like Adventurers' Fen. AIUI named because the people who drained the land were 'adventuring' with their money. Maybe we should be 'PoliticalAdventurers' ?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,090

isam said:

Leaving side the specific names chosen, having distinct identities for the separate lines should make using the network easier, so it's probably worth the expense.
    Maybe it was a common complaint that the Overground was hard to use, I haven’t used it much in years, but when I did, before it was branded the overground, it didn’t seem that difficult. The Suffragette line was called the North London Line for instance, easy enough
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

kyf_100 said:

What's negative about the new names? Unless yhou think votes for women are bad, and you can't possibly mean that. Liberty is nice and historical, so are some of the others.
    “Windrush” recalls when Amber Rudd resigned over a scandal, “Sufragettes” recalls a load of protestors, “Lioness” is for a *women’s* football team, rather than the 1966 squad.

I stand by my original comment that it’s deliberately antagonistic. Stick with “Elizabeth Line” and similar, that have no political connotations.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,851

Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

PART THREE

Witness food prices.

Olive oil.
    Grated parmesan
    I take about 15 minutes to make a dish of pasta from scratch, which is pretty quick. I spend 10 seconds of that time grating parmesan. Life isn't that short.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

a

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

Tobermory Line
    Tomsk Line
    Orinoco Line
    Wellington Line
    Madam Cholet Line

Have we done

Pugh
    Pugh
    Barney McGrew
    Cuthbert
    Dibble
    Grubb

Clangers Line
    Bagpuss Line
    Magic Roundabout Line
    Andy Pandy Line
    Flowerpot Men Line
    Ivor the Train Line.
    Thomas Line
    Gordon Line
    James Line
    :
    :

I'm not sure Khan has the degree of self-reflection necessary to regret anything.

I agree though. The Wombles suggestion would have been perfect. And the current choices are ridiculous.

Wombles is a trademark. So that would not have been useable without paying royalties. The ones chosen are not exactly great, though.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

viewcode said:

Taz said:

I'd propose

• The Hartnell Line
    • The Cushing Line
    • The Troughton Line
    • The Pertwee Line
    • The Baker Line
    • The Davison Line
    Shouldn't that be
    • The Hartnell Line
    • The Troughton Line
    • The Pertwee Line
    • The Baker Line
    • The Davison Line
    • The McCoy Line
    Or now:
    The Eccleston line
    The Tenant line
    The Smith line
    The Whittaker line
    The Tenant line
    The Gatwa Line
    Don't expect the Whittaker line to be running....
  • Options
    I have just seen what Cookie and Bondegezou have been getting up to down-thread. Great idea! In the same spirit I've got a tenner that says the Liberal Democrat will win in Rochdale on 29 February - any takers at evens? Loser to pay a tenner to Alzheimer's Research UK. Come on, who'se feeling lucky?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    mwadams said:

Tobermory Line
    Tomsk Line
    Orinoco Line
    Wellington Line
    Madam Cholet Line

Have we done

Pugh
    Pugh
    Barney McGrew
    Cuthbert
    Dibble
    Grubb

I disagree.

For maximum bafflement we should got for the Pugh line and the Pew line
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,264
    FF43 said:

Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

PART THREE

Witness food prices.

Olive oil.
    Grated parmesan
    I take about 15 minutes to make a dish of pasta from scratch, which is pretty quick. I spend 10 seconds of that time grating parmesan. Life isn't that short.
    Worth getting a small easy to wash grater though. Washing up a box grater just for that is tiresome.

Commiserations to Mike. Hope it's as good as it can be.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Maybe it was a common complaint that the Overground was hard to use, I haven’t used it much in years, but when I did, before it was branded the overground, it didn’t seem that difficult. The Suffragette line was called the North London Line for instance, easy enough

The suffragette line is just a stupid name - it's too long. It will become the Suffer Line, which is pretty much what the North London Line was whenever I used it.

This discussion has been closed.