Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Upending assumptions – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited February 15 in General
Upending assumptions – politicalbetting.com

NEW INSIGHT: Despite Trump's self-proclaimed role in overturning Roe, only 48% of voters believe he will pursue a national abortion ban and only 24% blame him for new abortion bans.The disparity highlights the need to brand Trump on abortion in 2024.https://t.co/s1ygcW0dNe

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    E pluribus unum?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972

E pluribus unum?

Stewards' inquiry.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044

E pluribus unum?

... words *not* discovered in the new Herculaneum scroll, as it's in Greek. :)

It's odd that high-class Romans used Greek in the same way high-class Brits use Latin.
  • Options

E pluribus unum?

It's odd that high-class Romans used Greek in the same way high-class Brits use Latin.
    I like to show off my talented tongue as I can speak English, Urdu, Punjabi, German, French, Latin, and Greek.

My absolute show off is when I swear in foreign languages, particularly French or Latin, it's like wiping your arse with silk.
  • Options
    @JosiasJessop FPT

That's wonderful news, and a tribute to the power of financial incentives.

There's quite a history of innovation arising from prizes. I take it you know the story of Longitude?
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,259
    Here's the actual poll:

https://www.spiegel.de/panorama/gesellschaft/monarchie-acht-prozent-der-deutschen-wuenschen-sich-einen-koenig-a-d4e93300-dd5c-4e9e-a2fd-31b50b6aaa76

»In einigen europäischen Ländern – wie etwa in Großbritannien – gibt es eine parlamentarische Monarchie, wobei der König oder die Königin – ähnlich wie der Bundespräsident bei uns – keine politische Macht mehr hat, sondern als Staatsoberhaupt nur noch repräsentative Aufgaben wahrnimmt. Fänden Sie es gut, wenn es auch in Deutschland statt des Bundespräsidenten noch einen König oder eine Königin gäbe oder fänden Sie das nicht gut?«

Translated:
    "In some European countries - such as the UK - there is a parliamentary monarchy, where the king or queen - similar to the federal president in Germany - no longer has any political power, but only fulfils representative tasks as head of state. Would you be in favour of a king or queen instead of a federal president in Germany, or would you be against that?"

In favour 8%
    Against 89%
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229

E pluribus unum?

I like to show off my talented tongue as I can speak English, Urdu, Punjabi, German, French, Latin, and Greek.

My absolute show off is when I swear in foreign languages, particularly French or Latin, it's like wiping your arse with silk.

Siarad cymraeg?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    kamski said:

Here's the actual poll:

https://www.spiegel.de/panorama/gesellschaft/monarchie-acht-prozent-der-deutschen-wuenschen-sich-einen-koenig-a-d4e93300-dd5c-4e9e-a2fd-31b50b6aaa76

»In einigen europäischen Ländern – wie etwa in Großbritannien – gibt es eine parlamentarische Monarchie, wobei der König oder die Königin – ähnlich wie der Bundespräsident bei uns – keine politische Macht mehr hat, sondern als Staatsoberhaupt nur noch repräsentative Aufgaben wahrnimmt. Fänden Sie es gut, wenn es auch in Deutschland statt des Bundespräsidenten noch einen König oder eine Königin gäbe oder fänden Sie das nicht gut?«

Translated:
    "In some European countries - such as the UK - there is a parliamentary monarchy, where the king or queen - similar to the federal president in Germany - no longer has any political power, but only fulfils representative tasks as head of state. Would you be in favour of a king or queen instead of a federal president in Germany, or would you be against that?"

In favour 8%
    Against 89%

LD levels of approval.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466

E pluribus unum?

The Spanish have some fruity ones. 'I shit on the beach' and its more nuclear version 'I shit 'en dios''.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    I don't follow this closely, but is it not a bid odd that Republicans don't give Trump much credit here? Republicans having Trump last makes me think they have answered as though the change is bad. The wording of the question implies that it is bad, but I'd still expect most of them to not be swayed by that.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,650
    RobD said:

kamski said:

Here's the actual poll:

Translated:

In favour 8%
    Against 89%

LD levels of approval.
    So it won't be Hoch the Kaiser anymore.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466

E pluribus unum?

Siarad cymraeg?
    Let's not call anyone a cym-raeg please.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,489
    edited February 6

E pluribus unum?

New visitors to the Site should note that TSE is an excessively modest man, and therefore omitted to mention that he also speaks fluent Rubbish, but prefers not to flaunt it.
    I speak fluent bollocks as well.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,451

E pluribus unum?

New visitors to the Site should note that TSE is an excessively modest man, and therefore omitted to mention that he also speaks fluent Rubbish, but prefers not to flaunt it.
    Goodbye @Peter_the_Punter

In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
    In the midst of his laughter and glee,
    He had softly and suddenly vanished away—
    For the @TSE was a Boojum, you see.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    Sir Keir comes second in all but one of the ‘Who would be better?’ questions in this YouGov…

https://x.com/mattchorley/status/1754764182258360558?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    tlg86 said:

I don't follow this closely, but is it not a bid odd that Republicans don't give Trump much credit here? Republicans having Trump last makes me think they have answered as though the change is bad. The wording of the question implies that it is bad, but I'd still expect most of them to not be swayed by that.

Maybe they don't believe Trump is against abortion. Or is certainly ambivalent on the subject. If so, they'd have good reason to.

But he has enabled a judicial system that's increasingly anti-abortion and is a willing ally of the prohibitionists.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,452
    RobD said:

kamski said:

Here's the actual poll:

Translated:

In favour 8%
    Against 89%

LD levels of approval.
    Hier gewinnen?
  • Options
    I had doubts about Labour's £28 billion Green plan now I know it is a very bad idea and must be opposed because Ambrose Evans-Pritchard is a fan of the plan.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/02/06/labour-proclaim-its-28bn-green-plan-from-rooftops/
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,452
    isam said:

Sir Keir comes second in all but one of the ‘Who would be better?’ questions in this YouGov…

https://x.com/mattchorley/status/1754764182258360558?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Lots of write-ins for Ed Davey, I hear :wink:
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    kamski said:

Here's the actual poll:

Translated:

In favour 8%
    Against 89%

If you instead asked people whether they would be in favour of the role of federal president ceasing to be subject to political horsetrading and instead taken over by the Duke of Württemberg and his descendents, you might get a different answer.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,551
    kamski said:

Here's the actual poll:

Translated:

In favour 8%
    Against 89%

Nations don't operate the dignified bits of their constitution in a vacuum. If England (I accept other bits of the UK have different histories) had had a dignified and working head of state system which could date back to 900CE and wasn't a monarchy we would probably not want to bring in some randomers and call them the king/queen. But as it happens we have what we have, and its continuities are remarkable, matched in many ways in the west only by the papacy - another thing it is a good idea not to mess with.

It doesn't matter a bit what the Germans think. If they still had the HRE they would probably want to keep it (Prussian expansionism has had its downside). Their history is different.
  • Options

kamski said:

Here's the actual poll:

Translated:

In favour 8%
    Against 89%

If you instead asked people whether they would be in favour of the role of federal president ceasing to be subject to political horsetrading and instead taken over by the Duke of Württemberg and his descendents, you might get a different answer.
    I really doubt it would be different
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,423

tlg86 said:

Maybe they don't believe Trump is against abortion. Or is certainly ambivalent on the subject. If so, they'd have good reason to.

But he has enabled a judicial system that's increasingly anti-abortion and is a willing ally of the prohibitionists.
    Absolutely spot on David - the only 1 thing Trump is actually for is Trump (for short - family Trump making money in longhand).

ON TOPIC TSE don’t change your betting strategy, Donald Trump has exactly 0% chance of becoming president - the only way of getting President Trump was in 2016 when enough people really didn’t know what they would get if they pressed the button. They now know, so not nearly enough of them will press that button again… or at least until “Trumpism” baton is passed to an unknown enough quantity.

Those in USA against abortion are in such a minority that it’s a disgrace against democracy courts can be stuffed to make these sort of democratic travesties happen.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kamski said:

Here's the actual poll:

Translated:

In favour 8%
    Against 89%

Nations don't operate the dignified bits of their constitution in a vacuum. If England (I accept other bits of the UK have different histories) had had a dignified and working head of state system which could date back to 900CE and wasn't a monarchy we would probably not want to bring in some randomers and call them the king/queen. But as it happens we have what we have, and its continuities are remarkable, matched in many ways in the west only by the papacy - another thing it is a good idea not to mess with.

It doesn't matter a bit what the Germans think. If they still had the HRE they would probably want to keep it (Prussian expansionism has had its downside). Their history is different.
    Of course. I'm just pointing out to Leon that monarchies can be less popular in monarchies, than republics are in republics. (FPT).

Also it's not as if Germany has a very happy history since dumping its monarchy.

Also was Prussia more expansionist than England/Britain back in the day?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,250
    If I (for a change) look for reasons why Donald Trump will win rather than lose, one which comes to mind is the ratio of in-person to postal votes. Isn't it accepted that in 2020 he was disadvantaged by the relative weight of postal voting due to Covid? In which case doesn't it follow that if this is not so prevalent this time he will probably benefit?
  • Options
    isam said:

Sunak comes third in all but one of the "who would be better" questions
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,451

tlg86 said:

That’s sums up the situation - and Trumps triangulation on the issue, combined with the double think of many Trump followers means that he can reach both the anti-abortion and the abortion-should-be-rare groups.
  • Options
    edited February 6
    isam said:

Technically wrong, he came third in one, the only one he loses to Sunak, by 1 point.

But these are the sort of “what evidence do we have to go on” questions that massively favour the person in the job not those out of power - the fact he is thrashing the current Conservative Primeminister in these is the noteworthy element you bizarrely missed.

Your post made little intelligent sense at all, unless you are now trying to “out satirise” MexicanPete before he can post this himself 🤔
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,020
    @hzeffman
    EXCL: The govt is preparing to offer dentists cash incentives to take on NHS patients and send teams to schools to treat children's teeth, it has emerged

Ministers will unveil the dental recovery plan tomorrow but details were inadvertently sent to MPs of all parties today
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Trump unanimously loses his appeal on presidential immunity in DC.

Next stop the Supreme Court. Hard to see any different outcome there.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    kamski said:

kamski said:

Here's the actual poll:

Translated:

In favour 8%
    Against 89%

Different means different, not that a majority would be in favour. For example it might be 20% in favour instead of 8%

A poll which basically asks, "Do you want to be like the UK?" taken just after Germans have been subjected to a lot of propaganda about how dysfunctional the UK is, is obviously not going to get a favourable response.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

If I (for a change) look for reasons why Donald Trump will win rather than lose, one which comes to mind is the ratio of in-person to postal votes. Isn't it accepted that in 2020 he was disadvantaged by the relative weight of postal voting due to Covid? In which case doesn't it follow that if this is not so prevalent this time he will probably benefit?

The Dems ground game was massively hampered by Covid.

Not this year...
  • Options

isam said:

Yep, that’s the joke 👏🏻
  • Options

isam said:

Technically wrong, he came third in one, the only one he loses to Sunak, by 1 point.

But these are the sort of “what evidence do we have to go on” questions that massively favour the person in the job not those out of power - the fact he is thrashing the current Conservative Primeminister in these is the noteworthy element you bizarrely missed.

Your post made little intelligent sense at all, unless you are now trying to “out satirise” MexicanPete before he can post this himself 🤔
    Technically right, I believe
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman
    EXCL: The govt is preparing to offer dentists cash incentives to take on NHS patients and send teams to schools to treat children's teeth, it has emerged

Ministers will unveil the dental recovery plan tomorrow but details were inadvertently sent to MPs of all parties today

“dental recovery plan” = false teeth. You’re too late
  • Options

isam said:

The one Sunak beats SKS on is "better at working with President Trump".

Which is probably the one you want to lose.
  • Options

isam said:

Technically correct 🤭
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Yep, that’s the joke 👏🏻
    You’re doing comedy now?

You should have told us when you started 😂
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,655

No, but if they decide to be awkward, they could delay things until June.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

The Dems ground game was massively hampered by Covid.

Not this year...
    Ok, so hopefully that will outweigh the point I'm fretting about.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,699
    Damn, I forgot to visit the Canary Wharf winter lights this year. It was on from 17th to 27th January.

https://canarywharf.com/whats-on/winter-lights/
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Yep, that’s the joke 👏🏻
    You’re doing comedy now?

You should have told us when you started 😂
    "They're not laughing now!"
  • Options
    I disagree with the premise of the header.

I think the abortion issue is more likely to have salience when it comes to Senate and House elections.

This sort of stuff, in the CNN poll, is more likely to encumber Trump.
    Particularly healthcare.

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/24408299/cnn-poll-most-americans-want-verdict-on-trump-election-subversion-charges-before-2024-vote.pdf
    Three quarters of respondents think Trump would seek to repeal the Affordable Care Act; direct the DOJ to investigate his political rivals; pardon himself of any and all federal crimes; fire any federal workers who oppose his policies; pardon most Jan 6ers.
    Around two thirds of respondents oppose all those things.

All he has to run on (for now) is the border, and Biden's increasing fragility.
    If (heaven forfend), Biden karked it in the next few months, Trump would probably be toast.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,699
    Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman

They should have done this about 20 years ago. Also eyes tests.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,736
    kamski said:

Here's the actual poll:

Translated:

In favour 8%
    Against 89%

People vote for the status quo everywhere but in monarchies this is somewhat mitigated by monarchy being an inherent nonsense ("It kind of works, so we'll stick with it")
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,510
    I have always assumed the Loser is in favor of abortion for the same reason that the late Hugh Hefner was. So I disregard whatever the Loser says, now.

(There have been a few American figures who have been consistent on the issues, notably the late Nat Hentoff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nat_Hentoff )
  • Options

kamski said:

kamski said:

Here's the actual poll:

Translated:

In favour 8%
    Against 89%

Different means different, not that a majority would be in favour. For example it might be 20% in favour instead of 8%

A poll which basically asks, "Do you want to be like the UK?" taken just after Germans have been subjected to a lot of propaganda about how dysfunctional the UK is, is obviously not going to get a favourable response.
    Wait what? I thought the line was the British monarchy was the ultimate in soft power, enhancing British prestige all over the world?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779
    Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman

Sounds like there is a molar in the team.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329

E pluribus unum?

Technically, if you know Urdu, you also know Hindi.
  • Options

E pluribus unum?

Assalamu alaikum!
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman

Don't.

You will start Ydoethur off.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,736
    isam said:

Neither is not running for election.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,757
    Andy_JS said:

Damn, I forgot to visit the Canary Wharf winter lights this year. It was on from 17th to 27th January.

https://canarywharf.com/whats-on/winter-lights/

Go to Compton Verney Spectacle of Light instead.

It's infinitely nicer than Canary Wharf.

https://www.comptonverney.org.uk/event/spectacle/
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman

Don't.

You will start Ydoethur off.
    That's filling me with dread.
  • Options

Reading the opinion, it's a pretty comprehensive demolition of Trump's case.
    Trump has until Monday to seek review by the SC, but it's quite possible they turn him down. There is (IMO) almost no prospect of the court reversing the opinion, and for them to delay things by another three or four months by rehearing futile arguments, would further damage their credibility.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Trump has until Monday to seek review by the SC, but it's quite possible they turn him down. There is (IMO) almost no prospect of the court reversing the opinion, and for them to delay things by another three or four months by rehearing futile arguments, would further damage their credibility.
    The importance of their decision cannot be overstated.

I have bets with both Ydoethur and SeanF.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

The reason the DC circuit took so long seems to have been the issue of jurisdiction. On the merits, they absolutely and unanimously trash Trump's arguments.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,842

E pluribus unum?

"I want to buy the worst shoes"
    "Je veux acheter les piers chasseurs"
    "Ich mochte die schlechtesten Schuhe kaufen"
    "Volo emere pessimuss calceamenta"...

• Options

Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman

Ain't that the tooth.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman

Government finally work out that the way to get people to do their jobs is to pay them. R/nottheonion
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,594

The Court has given him until next Monday to file an Appeal to the Supreme Court.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I would take four justices to agree to hear the case; five to issue a stay.
    I think only Alito and Thomas are mad enough.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I don't see how the SC can run away from ruling on this matter. It is so fundamental to the role of the President under the Constitution that they HAVE to say the President is not a Monarch. They HAVE to say that the President cannot use Seal Team 6 to take out opponents. This is not about Trump; it is about the rule of law.
  • Options
    Really enjoying the first season of Aussie Traitors. Some fascinating characters they have assembled....
  • Options
    An unexpected endorsement…

'Everyone starts as a leftie and then wakes up and realises all the ideas are crap'

Australian model and actress, Holly Valance, was at the launch of Liz Truss' new conservative movement 'PopCon'.

https://x.com/gbnews/status/1754919130837483709?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    O/t, but trying to Pm someone and apparently the system won’t take them.
  • Options
    I so misread this at first.

NEW: Scotland's drugs and alcohol policy minister Elena Whitham has resigned from government due to health reasons.

She was appointed to the post in March last year.

https://twitter.com/ginadavidsonlbc/status/1754922586197135864
  • Options
    isam said:

'Everyone starts as a leftie and then wakes up and realises all the ideas are crap'

Australian model and actress, Holly Valance, was at the launch of Liz Truss' new conservative movement 'PopCon'.

Her husband is close to a lot of senior Tories, he even attended a lockdown breaking party with Shaun Bailey
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,142

Really enjoying the first season of Aussie Traitors. Some fascinating characters they have assembled....

The first season is outstanding. And it contains one of *the* great moments of television.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360

I had doubts about Labour's £28 billion Green plan now I know it is a very bad idea and must be opposed because Ambrose Evans-Pritchard is a fan of the plan.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/02/06/labour-proclaim-its-28bn-green-plan-from-rooftops/

Its aspirational shite .no time stated. Won't happen.
  • Options
    Awks.

Work is under way on a warehouse “monstrosity” at least 40ft high after a blundering Tory council consulted homeowners on the wrong street.

Residents in Corby, Northamptonshire, awoke to find the large metal frame of the industrial units being erected just yards from their back doors.

Many were blindsided and when they asked officials what had happened, it emerged that the council had got the road mixed up with another half a mile away.

North Northamptonshire council’s building planning officers had mistakenly consulted people living on Hubble Road instead of Hooke Close to ask their opinions about the 160,800 sq ft development.

The plans for the Earlstree 160 project, on the site of a former Weetabix factory, were approved by the council in November with construction works expected to be completed towards the end of this year.

The height of the industrial unit will be a minimum 40ft when built, with a pitched roof which extends higher, which will be more than double the height of many two-storey surrounding houses.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/02/06/40ft-warehouse-monstrosity-council-consult-wrong-street/
  • Options
    edited February 6

NEW: Scotland's drugs and alcohol policy minister Elena Whitham has resigned from government due to health reasons.

Is it me, or does that first sentence not seem right? Should it be ‘for’ health reasons rather than ‘due to’?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,310
    isam said:

Oh dear. I hope no one dredges up those derogatory comments Ms Valance made about the British all those years ago. Could be embarrassing for Liz if she has to 'distance' herself from them.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360
    viewcode said:

Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman

Ain't that the tooth.
    It's the root canal.of the problem.
  • Options
    edited February 6

Nigelb said:

I don't see how the SC can run away from ruling on this matter. It is so fundamental to the role of the President under the Constitution that they HAVE to say the President is not a Monarch. They HAVE to say that the President cannot use Seal Team 6 to take out opponents. This is not about Trump; it is about the rule of law.
    By refusing to review the lower court's (extremely ccomprehensive) decision, they wouldn't be 'running away' from ruling at all.

They would be declaring that there are no good grounds to appeal the decision, and that they affirm it.

Note that for them to issue a stay of the current trial would require five justices to think that there is a likelihood of Trump's succeeding on the merits. That's just not going to happen.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    All this bigging up of The Truss is just ridiculous.
  • Options

isam said:

Her husband is close to a lot of senior Tories, he even attended a lockdown breaking party with Shaun Bailey
    And other parties with some real Grand Fromage’s

• Options
    Heh

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    isam said:

Unexpected? A very rich woman married to Nick Candy, an extraordinarily rich property developer?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,142

E pluribus unum?

"It's raining sea-urchin"
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,010
    viewcode said:

Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman

Ain't that the tooth.
    That crowns it and certainly gets to teh root of it
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010
    This is the first comment from an Apple Vision Pro

Ask me anything
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,259
    edited February 6

Nigelb said:

They could actually run away from ruling on this one, couldn't they? They have absolute discretion not to hear cases without any explanation, in which case the appealed ruling stands.

On the Colorado one, they couldn't really dodge it as Colorado were saying Trump was not constiutionally eligible to be President, but other states were saying he was. That has to be resolved in practical terms because Trump simply can't be eligible to be President in some states but not in others if the United States is to remain united.

In this case, though, there's no conflict that really needs resolving. It's not the case that Trump is immune from criminal prosecution on federal charges in some parts of the US but not in others - maybe if there was a prosecution in Idaho, they'd rule immunity applied, but there isn't so that's pure conjecture.

I think the Supreme Court will probably rule on this just on the importance of it, and because the justices are predominantly conservative and it buys Trump time (although they won't find for him as it is baseless). But I certainly don't rule out that they'd simply decline to take the case.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    isam said:

isam said:

And other parties with some real Grand Fromage’s

Has Nigel had a rather nasty accident?
  • Options

All this bigging up of The Truss is just ridiculous.

I was invited to today's Popular Conservatism event.

They really must have been scraping the barrel to get attendees.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ask me anything

I vowed to not get one, is it worth it?
  • Options

viewcode said:

Scott_xP said:

@hzeffman

Ain't that the tooth.
    It's the root canal.of the problem.
    That's hardly an incisive argument.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ask me anything

Are you hands free in your Tesla ?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,149
    isam said:

Funny you should highlight Starmer coming second instead of Sunak coming third. Weird. One might think you were not an SKS Fan (TM).
  • Options
    isam said:

Is it me, or does that first sentence not seem right? Should it be ‘for’ health reasons rather than ‘due to’?
    It's why I initially misread it.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329

E pluribus unum?

@kamski

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindustani_language
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Declining to take the case also says that as, if they decide not to take it then the ruling that he's not immune stands. The Supreme Court declines to take thousands of cases.

I think they probably will take it... but they don't have to.
  • Options
    Lee Anderson MP, former Deputy Chairman of the Conservative Party: "I'm pretty sure that coal 100 million years ago was trees and plants.. it was, well I would argue that's sustainable."

https://twitter.com/ShehabKhan/status/1754896431461052886
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,551
    FF43 said:

kamski said:

Here's the actual poll:

Translated:

In favour 8%
    Against 89%

People vote for the status quo everywhere but in monarchies this is somewhat mitigated by monarchy being an inherent nonsense ("It kind of works, so we'll stick with it")
    Looked at in a particular pragmatic way, all dignified, as opposed to efficient, bits of the state are inherent nonsense. In that light, monarchy is no worse than all the others.

Dignified bits of the state have wide ramifications. One of them would be having buildings like the HoP and Westminster Hall, rather than a conference centre in Barking or Hull, rented by the day, to meet in.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,219

Awks.

Work is under way on a warehouse “monstrosity” at least 40ft high after a blundering Tory council consulted homeowners on the wrong street.

Residents in Corby, Northamptonshire, awoke to find the large metal frame of the industrial units being erected just yards from their back doors.

Many were blindsided and when they asked officials what had happened, it emerged that the council had got the road mixed up with another half a mile away.

North Northamptonshire council’s building planning officers had mistakenly consulted people living on Hubble Road instead of Hooke Close to ask their opinions about the 160,800 sq ft development.

The plans for the Earlstree 160 project, on the site of a former Weetabix factory, were approved by the council in November with construction works expected to be completed towards the end of this year.

The height of the industrial unit will be a minimum 40ft when built, with a pitched roof which extends higher, which will be more than double the height of many two-storey surrounding houses.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/02/06/40ft-warehouse-monstrosity-council-consult-wrong-street/

Amusing, but does it look better or worse than the "former Weetabix factory"?
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.