Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Should we be ready for an early election? – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,373

Completely off topic but is anyone having problems with Netflix currently on a Smart TV? Not working currently with either TV despite both showing a solid internet signal and it working just fine on my phone app.

Netflix is shit and never shows anything I want to see, except trash.

Given up on it.
    I cancelled Netflix in July 21, my wife didn’t realise until the following February.

Waste of time. Very little worth watching.

Unlike the BBC I have the ability to cancel this and not pay for it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,971
    Is Rishi to be the new Thatchet ?

"The last time a government lost a bill at second reading was 1987."
    (BBC)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,891
    edited December 2023
    The More in Common polling is totally bonkers:

More in the thread afterwards. Polling for restrictions is particularly strong in Red Wallers.

https://twitter.com/LukeTryl/status/1734172331247894591?t=bJILc8TiVgUdCmKJrtoskQ&s=19
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,971
    Foxy said:

https://x.com/melissaeweiss/status/1734382602524426346

“Were there no Israel, there wouldn’t be a Jew in the world that is safe,” Biden says at the White House Hanukkah party as he reaffirms support for Israel against its war against Hamas.

That's a rather bizarre thing to say.

There are roughly as many Jews in the USA as Israel. Is he telling them that they are not safe there?
    I think he saying that a world which allows the destruction of Israel will be a much more dangerous one for Jews.

Netanyahu ought to listen to that advice, too.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,559

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Can any legislator be this stupid, or do some not care about being openly pro-Putin anymore?

I mean, Christ, 'promising he will not continue any further invasions'? Yes, I'm sure having succeeded in his various invasions to date by giving him a deal he would totally uphold a promise this time.

TBF, Leon, with his rather larger brain, is making essentially the same argument.
    I would think she is effectively sponsored by Russia.

Leon I am less sure about.
    He could be a Russian AI troll bot that has gone tonto?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,909
    Taz said:

Completely off topic but is anyone having problems with Netflix currently on a Smart TV? Not working currently with either TV despite both showing a solid internet signal and it working just fine on my phone app.

Netflix is shit and never shows anything I want to see, except trash.

Given up on it.
    I cancelled Netflix in July 21, my wife didn’t realise until the following February.

Waste of time. Very little worth watching.

Unlike the BBC I have the ability to cancel this and not pay for it.
    Definitely able to not pay for BBC just give up on live TV and the I player and get Netflix instead!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,487
    Leon said:

The sense that Britain must be in ruins is, let’s be fair, exacerbated by our hysterical media - mainstream and social

Even if you’re more than averagely skeptical it begins to have an effect. Such that you expect total mayhem, ever so slightly, when you land

And what you encounter is a rich clean calm orderly highly evolved capital city, gleaming with nice shops and pleasant young people being polite

You've moved back to Cardiff?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,487

ohnotnow said:

isam said:

Of the many shocking charts in the @csjthinktank report on the impacts of lockdown, this is one of the most striking.

Benefit claimants doubled during the lockdowns, and never came down again.

You'd think this *might* be relevant to the Covid enquiry 🧐

https://x.com/freddiesayers/status/1734239508449653159?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

You’d think. But the inquiry is (perplexingly) focused on the process by which decisions were reached, rather than the quality of the decisions themselves.
    I keep myself warm of an evening imagining that somewhere there is an academic department or group of civil servants who are charged with actually learning the lessons of the pandemic. Rather than the very, very expensive lesson we seem to being shown of "various people had different ideas, and sometimes panicked and sometimes quibbled in the face of something more serious than tomorrows Express headline".

Or indeed that there was something more serious than an Express headline.
    I hope there is a whole module on Sweden and they will actually talk to Anders Tegnel.

But I guess I am dreaming.
    If we had followed Tegnel's lead the number of deaths in the UK would have been astronomically higher. The Swedish death rate compared to all of their neighbours was shameful.
    Well let's look at excess deaths over time which was part of Tegnel's argument.

But whatever. All I am asking is this inquiry actually inquire into something that has some real meat about the next time we get hit by some kind of bat flu thing.

If Sweden were so wrong then bring it into the inquiry, debate it, quiz people, look at data and so on.

But oh no, much more important to look at whether a senior civil servant called another a c*** on Whatsapp.

To be fair, whoever said that would be both correct and suffering from an epochal self awareness fail.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Can any legislator be this stupid, or do some not care about being openly pro-Putin anymore?

I mean, Christ, 'promising he will not continue any further invasions'? Yes, I'm sure having succeeded in his various invasions to date by giving him a deal he would totally uphold a promise this time.

TBF, Leon, with his rather larger brain, is making essentially the same argument.
    I would think she is effectively sponsored by Russia.

Leon I am less sure about.
    Certainly not effectively..
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,450
    So let me get this straight. Sunak is threatening an early election when he is (optimistically) 11 percentage points or (realistically) closer to 20 percentage points behind in the polls if he cannot pass his idiotic bill to drive forward his imbecilic policy re Rwanda?

Is the UK government trying to make Yousaf's government look vaguely credible? Both governments are using exorbitant quantities of effort to drive forward bills that are not particularly popular, divisive and doomed not to work. Both are facing almost insuperable hurdles in the courts, even if they get them through. Both seem totally oblivious to what people are actually worried about but have convinced themselves that this is some sort of test of purity that they cannot abandon.

Perhaps the Covid Inquiry could be redirected. There is clearly a new virus to worry about.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,450
    The lengths that retailers are having to go to to try and persuade the Police that shoplifting is still a prosecutable offence get ever more desperate: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67687565

At least from a Police Scotland point of view this crime wave doesn't seem to involve any accountancy. They should go for it.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,699
    Andy_JS said:

Bizarre.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/12/11/columbia-road-carols-cancelled-after-7000-tiktokers-descend

"Carols at a London Christmas market have been cancelled for the rest of the year after 7,000 people descended on the service, which had gone viral on TikTok.

Huge crowds of visitors came to take part in carolling at Columbia Road in Bethnal Green, east London, causing “a danger to public safety”.

The vicar of St Peter’s Bethnal Green, which leads the services, announced that the events due to be held on the next two Wednesdays in December were cancelled after the road became “dangerously overrun”.

In a statement, Rev Heather Atkinson said the church was “grateful to God and to those working at the event that there were no serious injuries”."

To be fair, a crowd of 7000 must be a very unusual sight at a Church Of England church.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,131
    Andy_JS said:

"A US citizen "associated with the secret service" has departed the UK despite "assurances" he would not leave following a car crash in Herefordshire that left a nurse unable to walk.

Issac Calderon, 22, was due to appear before magistrates on 1 December. He is accused of causing Elizabeth Donowho serious injury by dangerous driving. Police have told Ms Donowho that he was working on matters "that might come under the Official Secrets Act". A warrant has been issued for his arrest after he failed to appear in court."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-67682464

That’s a very misleading first paragraph

“Unable to walk” FOR 6 WEEKS

It’s not to diminish the seriousness of the event but it’s poor journalism

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,238
    In among all the Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas debate the biggest trend is a massive decline in card sending at all.

Hardly surprising with the cost of stamps. The Royal Mail is killing one of its golden geese.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,131
    MattW said:

Andy_JS said:

"A US citizen "associated with the secret service" has departed the UK despite "assurances" he would not leave following a car crash in Herefordshire that left a nurse unable to walk.

Issac Calderon, 22, was due to appear before magistrates on 1 December. He is accused of causing Elizabeth Donowho serious injury by dangerous driving. Police have told Ms Donowho that he was working on matters "that might come under the Official Secrets Act". A warrant has been issued for his arrest after he failed to appear in court."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-67682464

It's a weird one. The US Embassy maintains that he is a private citizen.

He is accused of "Causing Serious Injury By Dangerous Driving" - in this case 2 broken ankles, a fractured sternum and a broken hand - which carries a prison sentence of up to 5 years. The injury standard is approximately the same as GBH.

He was identified as a flight risk by the police, yet was not remanded in custody by a Judge.

Unlike Sacoolas we may get this perpetrator back to face justice, but I don't understand why UK authorities made such a comprehensive cockup of the whole thing.

We don't seem to have sufficient powers to impound travel documents.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cri
    me/american-driver-secret-service-uk-crash-b2461897.html
    And yet the military police gave assurances he wouldn’t leave the country

Why would you ask them?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I thought the new station would be slightly closer to Brent Cross itself, but it looks like it's just as far from it as Brent Cross tube station is.

It's a bit further if anything, but lots of real estate being developed south of the A406, which is the rationale for the new station.
This discussion has been closed.