Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Should we be ready for an early election? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,436

https://x.com/GBNEWS/status/1734293203006767572

This is pathetic. This is like Angela Rayner interviewing Keir Starmer.

Feel free not to watch - after all, no one else is!
    The issue is that not only do some people think this is news, they accuse other news of being biased...
    Such as Jon Snow ‘Feck the Tories’ on C4? They might have a point.
  • Options

The issue is that not only do some people think this is news, they accuse other news of being biased...
    Is this some kind of gotcha? Jon Snow is wrong.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I'm getting to a place where I basically consider any feelgood blockbuster a Christmas movie.

So, Back To The Future and Jurassic Park are now on my list.

Drink a lot over Christmas, my friend.

For I have a feeling you won’t enjoy what the New Year has to deliver.
    And a very Happy Christmas to you too, Ian!
  • Options

That's why this channel exists.

MSM gave birth to the chimera by its own behaviour.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,059
    edited December 2023

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

What's the earliest date for a general election?

Not early enough
    Probably end of January / beginning of February.
    Then why did you even ask the question?
    To start an interesting conversation about a possible early election, which you haven't helped with. Stop being so grumpy.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Not early enough
    To start an interesting conversation about a possible early election, which you haven't helped with. Stop being so grumpy.
    You didn't say, "when do we think an early election might be?", you literally just asked "What's the earliest date for a general election?" and then answered it.

Contribute something, you're quite interesting!
  • Options

In what way?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,865
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Not early enough
    Dissolution this week, say Thursday, would permit 25th January.

Hypothetically.
  • Options

In what way?
    It is wrong to have a news presenter saying "fuck the Tories", obviously.
  • Options

In what way?

In what way?
    It is wrong to have a news presenter saying "fuck the Tories", obviously.
    In his own time? Not on the air?
  • Options
    If Rishi loses tomorrow it's a late night for everyone on Thursday 1 February!

Or maybe not if you just wait for the exit poll.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Not early enough
    Assuming the Conservatives only have a partial death wish (I mean, an election campaign with a Christmas Truce... really?), Parliament resumes on Monday 8th January 2024. So say Thursday 11th plus 5 weeks... Takes us to Thursday 15th February.

So not quite a Valentine's Day Massacre for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,882
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Not early enough
    I think the answer to your question is dependent not so much on the minimum number of days notice (25 working days as per RobD), but on how soon might Sunak be prompted to push for an election, and what would be that prompt?

I cannot see losing the Rwanda bill as prompting Sunak to call a GE. Why on earth would he - on the basis of what platform? If the Rwanda bill fails to pass it's because the Tories are disunited, so he would be hard-pressed to call a 'back Rwanda' election.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,036

I'm getting to a place where I basically consider any feelgood blockbuster a Christmas movie.

So, Back To The Future and Jurassic Park are now on my list.

Love Actually?
    The Barefoot Contessa must be a Christmas movie, as Ava Gardner was born on Christmas Eve and Humphrey Bogart on Christmas Day.
  • Options

In his own time? Not on the air?

On the air is obviously wrong, off the air for a news presenter is something I would probably also object to as he's supposed to be impartial. It's quite different to Lineker who isn't paid for his views on politics.
  • Options
    "One Nation Tory MPs vow to drop support for Rwanda bill if there are amendments as ERG calls for it to be rewritten"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2023/dec/11/rishi-sunak-covid-inquiry-conservatives-rwanda-asylum-bill-uk-politics-live
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,254
    @paulwaugh

@YvetteCooperMP tells @LabourTogether event that @JamesCleverly "knows the Rwanda policy is batshit, Tory MPs are going apeshit and they'll soon be in deep sh....ambles"
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Not early enough
    Assuming the Conservatives only have a partial death wish (I mean, an election campaign with a Christmas Truce... really?), Parliament resumes on Monday 8th January 2024. So say Thursday 11th plus 5 weeks... Takes us to Thursday 15th February.

So not quite a Valentine's Day Massacre for the Conservatives.
    Please no! Not that week!

I am taking Mrs P. on a romantic trip to Paris - I don't think me sitting up all night watching the GE results was on the itinerary.
  • Options

If Rishi loses tomorrow it's a late night for everyone on Thursday 1 February!

Or maybe not if you just wait for the exit poll.

Not sure we need to wait that long...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,403
    Scott_xP said:

@matt_dathan
    NEW: A meeting of 40 right-wing MPs tonight agreed to vote against or abstain in tomorrow's Rwanda bill vote unless Rishi Sunak offers concessions.

They claim they have the numbers to defeat the government.

MPs included Braverman and Jenrick.

Surely Braverman, Jenrick and the ERG must go nuclear on this. If they can defenestrate Sunak that really isn't enough of itself. If we leave the ECHR, a Labour victory means Starmer can rejoin in a year. Surely something has to be done to prevent a Labour Government at all costs, by hook or by crook.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"One Nation Tory MPs vow to drop support for Rwanda bill if there are amendments as ERG calls for it to be rewritten"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2023/dec/11/rishi-sunak-covid-inquiry-conservatives-rwanda-asylum-bill-uk-politics-live

Sunak's played another blinder hasn't he.

As frequently pointed out on here, instead of bigging up the relative improvement in boat numbers this year, he has focused on it as major issue and is now busily failing to deliver a solution. Supremely bad politics.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,040
    This Rwanda Bill is gonna be pulled isn't it?
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,538
    Out of curiosity: These Christmas cards that are being sent out in the UK: Are they Christmas cards, or "Holiday" cards, or does that depend on the party and/or sender?

(Here in my little suburb, we officially celebrate a "holiday". So the town puts up a fancy tree that looks much like a Christmas tree, but has no religious symbols on it. For example, at the top, instead of a star or angel, there is a snowflake.

Last year, the local Google topped the town by putting up what I would call a "designer tree". (I think I have a picture or two of it.)

What would I do were I running things? I would allow the local churches to rent spaces during the season, and put up their own trees with -- if they share my tastes -- many home-made ornaments.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    dixiedean said:

Rishi is an eternal optimist, so I expect he won't pull it, and then be genuinely surprised when he loses.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

As frequently pointed out on here, instead of bigging up the relative improvement in boat numbers this year, he has focused on it as major issue and is now busily failing to deliver a solution. Supremely bad politics.
    He is legitimately bad at politics. I don't think we've had a recent PM as bad at it as him.
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak, an expert in uniting

people against him
  • Options
    Garage says there's a vacuum at the centre right of politics?
    I prefer to think I have a vacuum cleaner in the centre left of my airing cupboard...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,040

Out of curiosity: These Christmas cards that are being sent out in the UK: Are they Christmas cards, or "Holiday" cards, or does that depend on the party and/or sender?

(Here in my little suburb, we officially celebrate a "holiday". So the town puts up a fancy tree that looks much like a Christmas tree, but has no religious symbols on it. For example, at the top, instead of a star or angel, there is a snowflake.

Last year, the local Google topped the town by putting up what I would call a "designer tree". (I think I have a picture or two of it.)

What would I do were I running things? I would allow the local churches to rent spaces during the season, and put up their own trees with -- if they share my tastes -- many home-made ornaments.

It was my Buddhist temple's Christmas Party on Saturday.
    It was pretty much like any other one.
    Less alcohol and meat, mind.
  • Options
    Sorry, my phone autocorrected Farage for some reason
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,178

rkrkrk said:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

Curious to see the Johnsonian diehards and the Corbynites speaking almost with one voice. It's almost as though the past is an anchor trying to pull us back.

Deltapoll and Redfield & Wilton have gone in different directions this evening - for Deltapoll, it's their lowest Labour VI since March 2022. R&W are much more within their comfort zone with an 18-point Labour lead. There's no indication of the fall in Labour share going straight back to the Conservatives - it's being shared through all parties and perhaps none.

Interesting to hear Sunak's evidence at the Covid hearing today. I'm not interested in EOTHO as I am in the extent of fraudulent appropriation of Covid funds by individuals and organisations. It's clear billions were handed out often on the most rudimentary evidence of need and unfortunately the opportunity to get free money from the Government has proven too much for some. I've seen figures varying from £5 billion to £15 billion in terms of public money given out either in error or obtained via fraud. Let's hope someone asks the former Chancellor of the Exchequer about that.

And if frontline services had not got PPI, some would have been screeching about how the government had procurement so much in a bureaucracy they let people die.

There was a worldwide demand for goods *in a hurry*. 'Normal' processes would never fit the situation.

Was there waste? Certainly.
    Was there fraud? Some, perhaps. The legal eagles will sort that out.
    Did frontline services get PPI they would not otherwise have got? IMV yes.

The question is who you weigh those up. And I might suggest the way you weigh them up now is very different from how they would have been weighed up in April or May 2020.
    This is such a false dichotomy.

We wasted oodles of money and *precious time* procuring PPE from people with no experience who never supplied nor could have supplied what we wanted. While actual suppliers got left out because they didn't know the right MP.
    Yet look at what Labour were calling for at the time, with equally untried companies being named as potential sources. "Why haven't you tried them?"

"While actual suppliers got left out because they didn't know the right MP."

Source, please, as I haven't heard that.
    Remember, virtually every country in the
    world was after the *same* PPE.
    It’s bullshit

We did deals with Molnlycke but the French seized the goods we had purchased

The US banned 3M from exporting their products.

There was some fairly awful behaviour, as countries turned very insular. The US, the French and the Germans all ripped up export orders at one point or another.

As far as I'm aware, the UK did not ban export of either PPE or vaccines. Which - I would hope - will payoff in the future. Companies want to manufacture in places which recognise contractual obligations.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,337

Usually Christmas cards. My experience of the In-Laws in Connecticut leads me to observe that it’s the proximity of Thanksgiving to Christmas that has led to the ubiquity of a “Holiday Season” in the US. We don’t do Thanksgiving (despite the maddeningly insane attempts of retailers here to get us “celebrating” Black Friday) so I think Christmas remains the ubiquitous term.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

The hope is that the Conservative Wets have done the calculation and are making sure that there isn't a repeat of the first part of 2019... If this falls because of overreach on the right, the only fingerprints will be those of the ERG+.

The fear is that the Wets aren't called the Wets for nothing. (Was that jibe Maggie, or someone Maggie-adjacent?)
  • Options

It's still pretty much Christmas here, with Christmas trees, Christmas cards, we'll nearly all be sitting down to Christmas dinner on the 25th.

Some mention of 'holiday season' every year but it generally gets ridiculed.

But, it's probably another of your wonderful traditions that will swamp us in time (I'm still struggling with Halloween tbh.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rkrkrk said:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

Curious to see the Johnsonian diehards and the Corbynites speaking almost with one voice. It's almost as though the past is an anchor trying to pull us back.

Deltapoll and Redfield & Wilton have gone in different directions this evening - for Deltapoll, it's their lowest Labour VI since March 2022. R&W are much more within their comfort zone with an 18-point Labour lead. There's no indication of the fall in Labour share going straight back to the Conservatives - it's being shared through all parties and perhaps none.

Interesting to hear Sunak's evidence at the Covid hearing today. I'm not interested in EOTHO as I am in the extent of fraudulent appropriation of Covid funds by individuals and organisations. It's clear billions were handed out often on the most rudimentary evidence of need and unfortunately the opportunity to get free money from the Government has proven too much for some. I've seen figures varying from £5 billion to £15 billion in terms of public money given out either in error or obtained via fraud. Let's hope someone asks the former Chancellor of the Exchequer about that.

And if frontline services had not got PPI, some would have been screeching about how the government had procurement so much in a bureaucracy they let people die.

There was a worldwide demand for goods *in a hurry*. 'Normal' processes would never fit the situation.

Was there waste? Certainly.
    Was there fraud? Some, perhaps. The legal eagles will sort that out.
    Did frontline services get PPI they would not otherwise have got? IMV yes.

The question is who you weigh those up. And I might suggest the way you weigh them up now is very different from how they would have been weighed up in April or May 2020.
    This is such a false dichotomy.

We wasted oodles of money and *precious time* procuring PPE from people with no experience who never supplied nor could have supplied what we wanted. While actual suppliers got left out because they didn't know the right MP.
    Yet look at what Labour were calling for at the time, with equally untried companies being named as potential sources. "Why haven't you tried them?"

"While actual suppliers got left out because they didn't know the right MP."

Source, please, as I haven't heard that.
    Remember, virtually every country in the
    world was after the *same* PPE.
    It’s bullshit

We did deals with Molnlycke but the French seized the goods we had purchased

The US banned 3M from exporting their products.

There was some fairly awful behaviour, as countries turned very insular. The US, the French and the Germans all ripped up export orders at one point or another.

As far as I'm aware, the UK did not ban export of either PPE or vaccines. Which - I would hope - will payoff in the future. Companies want to manufacture in places which recognise contractual obligations.
    I think the EU going apeshit over U.K. vaccines was a defining moment in showing that the EU was not always the good guys in Brexit negotiations.
  • Options

Christmas cards.

For local festive decorations, it's hard to beat Dunbar. The lights are sponsored by local businesses, so instead of snowflakes and tress you get a taxicab, or plumbers.
  • Options

I prefer to think I have a vacuum cleaner in the centre left of my airing cupboard...

There's a a vacuum at the centre right of politics because he's sucked them all off to the far right.
  • Options

It's still pretty much Christmas here, with Christmas trees, Christmas cards, we'll nearly all be sitting down to Christmas dinner on the 25th.

But, it's probably another of your wonderful traditions that will swamp us in time (I'm still struggling with Halloween tbh.)
    Ironically, Pre-Reformation, All Hallows Day on 1 November and its Eve (Halloween) on 31 October were a huge deal in England. Being reintroduced by our former colony it seems.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,009

Tories poll 28-32 ish I reckon, Labour 38 to 45.

On EMA currently Tories 26, Labour 43. But Tories could get back say 4% from Reform so I don't disagree.

Labour with 122 overall majority. Tories down to 204 seats.
  • Options
    Why are some left-wingers so grumpy at the moment, despite being 20% ahead in the polls? I can only assume they still wish Corbyn was leader instead of Starmer.
  • Options

There's a a vacuum at the centre right of politics because he's sucked them all off to the far right.
    There's an image to conjure with.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Why are some left-wingers so grumpy at the moment, despite being 20% ahead in the polls? I can only assume they still wish Corbyn was leader instead of Starmer.

We're fed up of waiting, whilst watching the Tories continue to fail the arse-elbow identification test.
  • Options

Christmas cards.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,262
    dixiedean said:

Strong: withdraw it immediately upon being elected, dare the party to do something about it.

Weak: allow it to drag on, and withdraw it when forced.

I wonder what percentage chance Sunak and his advisors ascribed to the court case going their way. If we knew that, the behaviour would be easier to understand.
  • Options

There's an image to conjure with.
    The BBC TV series Ghosts is pretty lightweight family viewing but does have a few sniggerable lines, in particular the idea that ghosts haunt this world until they are 'sucked-off' to the next one.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,403
    edited December 2023
    Andy_JS said:

Do you not follow the work of BJO on the PB blog?
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Barnesian said:

On EMA currently Tories 26, Labour 43. But Tories could get back say 4% from Reform so I don't disagree.

That'll do nicely. (Although I'd prefer an absolute Tory wipe-out because they deserve one.)
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Christmas cards.

For local festive decorations, it's hard to beat Dunbar. The lights are sponsored by local businesses, so instead of snowflakes and tress you get a taxicab, or plumbers.
    Christmas in Canterbury is very picture postcard. When the puritans tried to abolish it a a riot descended into a City wide game of mob-football. If you go there today one of the “goals” (the Westgate Tower) is still there.

https://www.vaguelyinteresting.co.uk/how-an-attempt-to-cancel-christmas-and-a-game-of-football-led-to-an-english-revolution/
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,031

Fnar fnar
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The disease of the left is ideological purity. One caught by the right over Brexit mind.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Ironically, Pre-Reformation, All Hallows Day on 1 November and its Eve (Halloween) on 31 October were a huge deal in England. Being reintroduced by our former colony it seems.
    I think it was Henry VIII who originally banned Ye Olde Black Friday in 1538, only for it to reappear 470 years later.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,903
    dixiedean said:

It was my Buddhist temple's Christmas Party on Saturday.
    It was pretty much like any other one.
    Less alcohol and meat, mind.
    And more recycling?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,081
    Scott_xP said:

@matt_dathan
    NEW: A meeting of 40 right-wing MPs tonight agreed to vote against or abstain in tomorrow's Rwanda bill vote unless Rishi Sunak offers concessions.

Abstain means the Bill easily goes through . I would be flabbergasted if the government lost the vote .
  • Options

DougSeal said:

I think it was Henry VIII who originally banned Ye Olde Black Friday in 1538, only for it to reappear 470 years later.
    Indeed. As part of my degree I studied the famous Primark Riots of 1539. People were outraged they couldn’t get 2 for 1 Ruffs
  • Options
    Re the Header: QTWTAIN when it was posted earlier today.

By the end of the day, er... maybe that's not such a crazy idea.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    nico679 said:

Scott_xP said:

@matt_dathan

Abstain means the Bill easily goes through . I would be flabbergasted if the government lost the vote .
    ...at the 2nd Reading.

Report stage / 3rd Reading though... ?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,009

It's Merry Christmas. None of this happy holiday stuff here.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,634
    edited December 2023

Barnesian said:

That'll do nicely. (Although I'd prefer an absolute Tory wipe-out because they deserve one.)
    Absolute tonkings in my lifetime:

Foot 1983: 209 seats, 27.6%
    Major 1997: 165 seats, 30.7%
    Hague 2001: 166 seats, 31.7%
    Corbyn 2019: 202 seats, 32.1%

Thinking about Sunak in 2024/5, Brucie asked the key question? Higher or lower?

Well, Sunak didn't really play his cards right, did he?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Indeed. As part of my degree I studied the famous Primark Riots of 1539. People were outraged they couldn’t get 2 for 1 Ruffs
    Were Iceland doing cod pieces then?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,680
    Blighty!
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Scott_xP said:

@matt_dathan

To avoid defeat in Tuesday’s parliamentary vote, Sunak will need to keep the rebellion below 56 abstentions or 28 votes against.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/11/tory-mp-groups-could-derail-rishi-sunak-rwanda-plan
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,214
    Eabhal said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

TimS said:

There does seem to be a discernible medium term trend downwards in Labour VI, even as Tory support bounces around the mid to high 20s. The absolute gaps remain big but the peaks of Labour support are much lower than they were. What is causing that?

I don't buy that it's the "not sealed the deal" phenomenon. Labour has as many (or as few) well known policies now as it had a year ago when it was touching 50% in the polls. And I can't see it being to do with Starmer support for Israel and apparent prevarication over Gaza. That's surely only an issue for a small minority of the Left, and we would expect to see Green VI rising if this were really a big driver.

I do wonder if it's actually a measure of some (very limited) success by the conservatives in getting bread and butter issues off the table and moving the news agenda back on to culture war and immigration. It might not be helping the Tories massively given all the internal chaos, but it's not notably harming their support either. Whereas for Labour I wonder if it's unhelpful.

I mentioned they could be losing support to Reform. How? Take your average disgruntled voter somewhere in the Red Wall who thinks the country's going to the dogs and the Tories deserve a kicking. A year or 6 months ago they might have argued that the country's going to the dogs because inflation is rampant, nobody's getting a decent pay rise, the roads are full of pot holes and it takes 6 months to get seen on the NHS. Now they might be saying the country's going to the dogs because the government has failed to stop the boats or control immigration. Before the obvious place to move your vote would be Labour. Now perhaps that's Reform.

Once a voter has shifted to Reform is it possible the Tories could then win them back rather than them slipping back to Labour? Possibly, if they can then make the next election about cultural issues rather than the pound in your pocket.

All this seasoned with just a touch of Labour not seeming to be any different on economic or public spending policy now.

I would say Labour needs the political weather to move back on to economy and (particularly) crumbling public services, and it needs to offer something for people to grab on to in this respect.

It could be somewhat similar to the months leading up to June 2010, when Conservative support began to slip.

Putting in Labour 37%, to 30% Conservative still gives Labour a majority of 50, because the Lib Dems only win a third of the seats they got in 2010.
    37-30 is quite plausible...

However the next 33% has to go somewhere. If we give 4 percentage points to the SNP (which may be generous), that leaves a staggering 29% to split between Reform, the LibDems, Green and Other.
    That would reflect the public not much liking either alternative.

That said, I suspect if could be more like 39/32, with both Reform and Greens going to Conservative and Labour respectively.

The electorate has been volatile since 2010, with Con/Lab getting 67% in 2010, 70% in 2015, 83% in 2017 and 78% in 2019, but likely dropping back in this coming election.
    For chunks of the electorate SKS is simply more of the same policies weve had since 1997 irrespective of who is in office. If you were a loser in the globalisation push why would you vote for more ?
    Globalisation didn't start for the UK in 1997.
    It was a major inflection point though.

Remember that James Goldsmith's Euroscepticism was primarily in opposition to their turn towards global free trade which he saw as shattering the balance between capital and labour in the developed world.
    Did he really. Workers of the world unite and listen to Jimmy Goldsmith.
    Well if the politicians had listened, we might not have ended up with the wave of populism that you dislike so much.
    Given migration is at a record high, but public concern about it is lower than before the EU referendum, I suspect populism is largely independent of *the facts*.
    In other news, the frog has never been happier with the temperature of the water.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Blighty!

By boat?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,185
    The wanderer returns
  • Options

nico679 said:

Scott_xP said:

@matt_dathan

To avoid defeat in Tuesday’s parliamentary vote, Sunak will need to keep the rebellion below 56 abstentions or 28 votes against.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/11/tory-mp-groups-could-derail-rishi-sunak-rwanda-plan
    Sunak may die in a ditch for a bill that will fall in the House of Lords.

Astonishingly shit at politics.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,178
    Can someone head over to Heathrow Nick and bail @Leon out please.
  • Options
    The last February election was in 1974, (28th February).
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Good times. I remember being in a room helping stuff envelopes for my activist mother's party as a nine year old.
  • Options
    Apparently Jon Lansman is now enemy number one of the Labour left?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Good times. I remember being in a room helping stuff envelopes for my activist mother's party as a nine year old.
    By candlelight?
  • Options

Barnesian said:

People vary - some institutions play safe and wish happy holidays, but in my experience most people (including Muslim friends) go with the flow and say happy Christmas. It's perhaps easier because most people aren't actually Christian in any serious sense of the word - we maybe go to church for a wedding or a funeral - so it's clear that we're mostly just enjoying the general spirit of the thing.
    As Jesus is considered a prophet of Mohammad, I wouldn’t expect Muslims to have an issue with Christmas. The ones I know are certainly ok with Christmas.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

By candlelight?
    LOL. I think it was during the day.

• Options
    Cookie said:

Didn't Andy Warhol say that in the future everyone will be enemy number one of the Labour Left for 15 minutes?
    Except Keir Starmer, who will be enemy number one for 15 years.
  • Options
    Gotta love a newbie on the site, joined yesterday, up past 50 posts already.
    Welcome, AverageNinja, or is it welcome back?
  • Options

Cookie said:

Didn't Andy Warhol say that in the future everyone will be enemy number one of the Labour Left for 15 minutes?
    Funny, and true. Nothing the left hate more than someone winning elections for Labour. You can only be pure in constant opposition.
  • Options

Aaron Rupar
    @atrupar
    ·
    Dec 10
    Al Gore on CNN on Trump: "Well, I saw the other day where he pledged to be a dictator on day one. And you kind of wonder what it will take for people to believe him when he tells us what he is"

• Options
    geoffw said:

The wanderer returns

Whenever I go away for a longish time, I STILL expect everything to have entirely changed when I return. The city in ruins. Britain invaded and conquered without my wise protection

I am simultaneously insulted and relieved when it is consistently revealed that the UK manages just fine without me
  • Options
    Leon said:

geoffw said:

The wanderer returns

Whenever I go away for a longish time, I STILL expect everything to have entirely changed when I return. The city in ruins. Britain invaded and conquered without my wise protection

I am simultaneously insulted and relieved when it is consistently revealed that the UK manages just fine without me
    You avoided the Elizabeth Line breaking down a few days ago.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/elizabeth-line-trains-delayed-london-b2460725.html
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,718

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

No, but a replica of The Great Seal was a hit seller.
  • Options
    @BethRigby

NEW: On the point I’ve been making about a win tomorrow being a crisis delayed not resolved. Senior right winger tells me tonight: “The best the PM can hope for tomorrow is a phyrric victory.”
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,903

Cookie said:

Wes Streeting giving Starmer a run for his money on Twitter.

No way am I voting Labour now.

• Options

Barnesian said:

CON probably happy with 200 seats at the moment
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby

NEW: On the point I’ve been making about a win tomorrow being a crisis delayed not resolved. Senior right winger tells me tonight: “The best the PM can hope for tomorrow is a phyrric victory.”

And how does that help them either? A delayed defeat for him at their hands is not much good given there's little time left.
  • Options

Aaron Rupar
    @atrupar
    ·
    Dec 10
    Al Gore on CNN on Trump: "Well, I saw the other day where he pledged to be a dictator on day one. And you kind of wonder what it will take for people to believe him when he tells us what he is"

I think plenty of his followers believe him. They just happen to like it. It's the tiny minority of what used to be establishment Republicans claiming it is no big deal that are fooling themselves.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

By candlelight?
    LOL. I think it was during the day.

Hard to tell in February.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby

And how does that help them either? A delayed defeat for him at their hands is not much good given there's little time left.
    I’m still partly convinced that the government want to keep losing over Rwanda in order to have a reaction against the blob at the election.
    Now that’s bullish!t but it might be their plan.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,183
    Barnesian said:

The irony is that we call it Christmas and mostly don’t believe in it, and the Americans don’t call it Christmas but mostly do
  • Options

Barnesian said:

CON probably happy with 200 seats at the moment
    Although they would have hoped for far better after the great victory in 2019, I think at this point they'd take simply doing better than 1997.

They'd then hope they could avoid a repeat of standing still for a term, and so recovery in 2-3 elections rather than 4.

It's sometimes easy to forget, for us youngsters, how little they had recovered even by 2005, how much work Cameron still had in front of him.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,031
    Of the many shocking charts in the @csjthinktank report on the impacts of lockdown, this is one of the most striking.

Benefit claimants doubled during the lockdowns, and never came down again.

You'd think this *might* be relevant to the Covid enquiry 🧐

https://x.com/freddiesayers/status/1734239508449653159?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options

Christmas hasn't become part of the culture wars here, thank God. I grew up in an atheist household celebrating Christmas. My wife's Buddhist family always made a big deal of it too. Left or right, religious or not, people are mostly happy to have an excuse to stay home and spend time with family at this time of year, have Christmas trees, send Christmas cards, eat, drink and be merry. Long may it last!
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,062
    Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby

Win tomorrow and it's possible to kick things on to March and an election in May..

• Options
    The sense that Britain must be in ruins is, let’s be fair, exacerbated by our hysterical media - mainstream and social

Even if you’re more than averagely skeptical it begins to have an effect. Such that you expect total mayhem, ever so slightly, when you land

And what you encounter is a rich clean calm orderly highly evolved capital city, gleaming with nice shops and pleasant young people being polite
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

No, but a replica of The Great Seal was a hit seller.
    I thought @DougSeal was The Great Seal?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021
    isam said:

Of the many shocking charts in the @csjthinktank report on the impacts of lockdown, this is one of the most striking.

Benefit claimants doubled during the lockdowns, and never came down again.

You'd think this *might* be relevant to the Covid enquiry 🧐

https://x.com/freddiesayers/status/1734239508449653159?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Is this just people moving from the old system to UC?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

@BethRigby

I’m still partly convinced that the government want to keep losing over Rwanda in order to have a reaction against the blob at the election.
    Now that’s bullish!t but it might be their plan.
    I think many have been confused by the strategy of amping up an issue which has indeed been a concern for many, especially on the right, but doing so when they really don't have many options for quick wins, hence the hail mary option of Rwanda in the first place, which only even focuses on one element of it.
  • Options
    (Yes I’m sure it would be worse if I landed in Stoke and lived in Blackpool or whatever)
  • Options
    Leon said:

The sense that Britain must be in ruins is, let’s be fair, exacerbated by our hysterical media - mainstream and social

Exclusive report there from our hysterical media correspondent...
This discussion has been closed.